-
AuthorContent
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9268181

Talked to UF Prof: He is working with colleague in Australian on eradication method for both cane toads which are poisonous both there and here and it will also be used on Cuban frogs. If all goes well product should be available in US by next year. Chosen name Stop Hop. How appropriate.

Until that time spray them with benzocane or lidocane (sp) it should paralize them so that you can eradicate them in your chosen method. Personally I will not have a slimy frog in a ziplock bag in my freezer with our food.

I sprayed 2 this morning with wasp spray and they looked like they were licking their chops enjoying it. He said it wouldn't have any effect on them.

ALSO; No KNOWN effects on koi at this time. Hope it stays that way. He asked me to report any effect that showed on the fish. I assured him I would.

Hope this helps other Floridians. He said he gets calls on them every day and they are in the keys and up to northern Fl. As close as they can figure they have been here since the 1900's. Goody wee, just what we need.
Bonnie
Forgot to mention: they can clog toilet lines, cause power outages due to being on electrical boxes and shorting them out.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2012 3:08 PM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9268383

Thanks for the info Bonnie - do you know how far north these buggers go or are they just limited to Florida?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9268715

He said they didn't know how far north they would end up but I'm guessing they don't like cold so thats in your favor. Be glad.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9268799

The reason I am asking is when I can finally retire, DH and I are looking to move to the northern part of South Carolina. His family is down that way.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9270254

After further reading it said they were in NC. I have some good friends there and I know they won't like them. They live out in South Mills on 80 acres and some is swamp so they will have them.

After thinking back to early spring I remembered lifting leaves out of the pond and it had long strings of black spots which I now know were their eggs. I did just throw them on the ground which should have dried them out and killed the offspring.

I will be vigilent about trying to eradicate them from my little corner of the state.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9272467

Here is a pic of toad eggs...they are in long strings...

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9272471

Here are the Cuban Tree Frog eggs...the float in a jelly mass on the surface for the first day...

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9272472

Here's one of the stinkin' boogers just waiting to call a mate and jump down to ANYTHING filled with water...(notice the extremely large toe pads- much larger than other tree frogs)

Thumbnail by MerryMary

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9273051

I figured you would have plenty of them also. They can be easily identified with those round toes. Makes them excellent climbers. Hopefully they will stop laying eggs in Oct. thats what info I read.
It's already time to think about buying netting for the ponds. Sure don't want to go thru what I did last year. Looking in Foster & Smith catalaogue at 3/8" spacing net.

Those strings of eggs are exactly what I pulled out this spring. At the time didn't know what they were but I sure know now. I'm sure reason I have so many is I have their food source the little green tree frogs.

Take care and happy ponding.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America