Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Brugmansia in Australia - Spring 2012

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 160, Views: 1,265
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 7, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9268244

Hi all, as requested a new thread.

Here is Chrissy's 'Twilight Time'.

Previous thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276572/

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 7, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9268249

A quick tidy up here at home after the gale yesterday, then off to pick up pots at the "nursery".
Here are a few pics of our brugs there coming on in 300mm pots.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 7, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9268276

Wayne, I am so glad you posted the pics of your brugs in the " nursery ". Now I can see that all mine look normal.
I was thinking they were a bit leggy because of my colder climate .
This winter they have lost hardly any leaves at all here. Some yellowing due to the cold and lack of sun, but they are greening back up quickly.

It looks like better weather here today so I will move a few so they have more room.
I had them closer together during winter so they would protect each other.
The only thing I find is that even though there has been plenty of rain, the larger leaves stop a lot of it getting on the pots.
I had to water a few during the winter.

Looking forward to seeing more of yours in flower.
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9268290

Wayne these plants are looking good even tho they have been beaten around with the weather.

TT is a stunner there Wayne

It's Saturday and im of to work it looks like its going to be a cold day here in Melbourne with rain predicted for the whole day, ENJOY every one

This message was edited Sep 8, 2012 9:09 AM
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 7, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9268327

Wayne.. The nursery plants looking good. Are they named cultivars or seedlings? I have a couple of buds now on Tintarella so should have my first blooms soon.
Our temps are warming up here in Brisbane so Spring has definitely arrived, but would love some rain(nothing in the rain gauge for 51 days)
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 7, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9268433

Thankyou Wayne ^_^ My sticks look like yours , so like Jean I feel much better about mine too. Your sticks look good ! ^_^. Lots of exciting Brugs yet to see in those. Whoopee !

I hope your day won't be too nasty Shaun.

Allan can't wait to see how Tintarella does for you up there.

I have visitors here so will be beck after they leave,I hope everyone is enjoying their day.

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 7, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9268547

Allan, the potted plants are all seedlings. Here is a list of what I have in the nursery.
Brugmansia seedlings (300mm pots)

Glass House Angel x Butter Bomb (1) Chrissy
Old Apricot x Butter Bomb (3) Chrissy
Aurea (Anne) x noid (4) Flora
Old Apricot x noid (5, including working name, Bowden Brae, an elegant, single white with long, upward pointing tips).
Knightii (Melb) x Old Apricot (6) Cestrum
Knightii x Ecuador Pink (4) Cestrum
Musketeer x Fernando (4, Allan, including working name Frilly Dilly, an elegant, single white with long, upward pointing tips).
Old Apricot x Fernando (6) Allan
Bucks Fizz x noid (3, two of which have bloomed single pink) Flora
Knightii x noid (1) Cestrum

Joli x Double Dark Rosetta (2) Edna
Superspot x Berkonigin (pod no.2) (3) Edna
Knightii (Ipswich) x Big Floppy Apricot (4) BFA + Joli x Angles Flight Cestrum
Mea Culpa x Alphonse Mucha (4) Flora
Clementine x noid (11) Flora

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9268605

Wayne all if those look exciting and I'm sure just like you we are all waiting on our 2011 seedlings to bloom but that will have to wait till the weather gets better these growing seasons

I am wondering if any one has aurea (Anne) to add to the collection of aurea's to see if it is one that is in our collection already ???

Good luck wayne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 7, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9268612

Making Coffee for my guests ...jumped in for a quick look.
How exciting ! Wayne they will be so nailbitingly fabulous to watch ! (clapping hands) ...
Shaun I am sure you have it already ...pretty sure we all do, under various names but basically Aurea.
See you later ^_^

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 7, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9268620

Very exciting, Wayne. And they don't take up a such a lot of space and aren't in huge pots either.
I see that two of your Bucks Fizz x NOID seedlings have produced pinks, so can't wait for my BF crosses to bloom for the first time to see if I might get a pink suaveolens-type bloom too. (I don't have a pink in that shape--no, no, I don't want a cutting LOL--but would like to breed one of my own.) Of course, I don't have the same collection of brugs that you do (and much fewer back then) so there's a good chance that I'll get creams and whites from the first batch that bloom for me, but fingers crossed that later crosses will yield something that tickles my fancy.
Of course I'm curious about the knightii crosses! Wonder if the ones with BFA (overseas cross) will produce markedly different seedlings from those with OA (our Aussie stalwart) as the pollen donor?
Agree with Chrissy about the likelihood of the same aureas appearing under a host of different names.

Nothing new to show that's brugmansia-related, so here instead are two of my C. elegans, pink(ish) and purple(ish) flowering together for the first time.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 7, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9268626

The nursery plants are a bit knocked around at present - typical post winter condition. They will come back with the warmer weather. I did a bit of repotting and topping up soil today. The pots tend to wash out a bit. Also a good dose of Dynamic Lifter.

Shaun, my "Anne" aurea is the plant that was sold by Yamina Rare Plants as B. aurea. I simply "named" it Anne, as it is growing in my sister's garden.

Cestrum, the first batch (10) of 'Bucks Fizz' x noid that I grew a few years back, all turned out white. The 2010 batch of 5, threw two pinks! Both of these, in pots have freely set to produce a pod each! I have not had the heart to whip the pods off, as I have no intention of growing seed from them.

Allan, thanks for the update on 'Tintarella'. We have had a flush already on the mother plant here! I do hope that it does well for you. It is a fun little thing with a great scent (honey/almond). Fun also in that it's heritage is 'Glass House Angel' (from Jean) x 'Butter Bomb' (Alistair) pollinated by Chrissy and grown by me! :)

Jean are you OK for a cutting now, or do you want to wait until it gets a bit warmer?

'Tintarella' pic.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2012 5:02 PM

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 7, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9268632

Wayne, Alistair said that the Aurea sold by Yamina was the nearest to Goldenes Kornett that we have in Australia, he recommended it, so it's worthwhile having...

I remember a couple of years ago you posted a very nice pic of it...
Shaun does have it, but seeing he's probably cutting someone's hair at the minute I'll answer for him...lol

I'll be interested to see Bowden Brae when It flowers again...it's going to be an amazing year in our gardens...
Dianne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 7, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9268635

Any time thank you Wayne.
Most of my brugs havent noticed they have been through a very cold winter and are all leafing madly. Any cuttings should take off quickly now.
I usually keep them in the greenhouse for while anyway. until I see definite signs of leave s& roots.
Then out they go to be big brave brugs in my rough world.
Jean.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 7, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9268637

This might be the pic Dianne - Yamina aurea ('Old Apricot' behind).
We dug this out a few weeks ago to make way for a new "pink" of mine, working name 'Naomi'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 7, 2012
11:32 PM

Post #9268640

Fine Jean. Could you Dmail me your postal address please? Thanks.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
12:23 AM

Post #9268648

Thank you guys for the answer to Aurea (Anne) so most of us have it and we have quite alot of aurea's
Question what are you all calling Aurea (yamina)?????
This is how I have it in my collection as Yamina

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 8, 2012
12:24 AM

Post #9268650

Not that one, Wayne, though it's very nice especially with OA showing off behind it...as far as I can remember it was in your sister's garden and you remarked how her neighbours admired it...it was a while ago...
It was in full flush, I'm sure...
Now you've peaked my curiosity with 'Naomi'... :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 8, 2012
12:29 AM

Post #9268654

I think that only you and Wayne have the Aurea from Yamina as far as I know, Shaun...unless either of you have given it away...
Wayne called his Anne for his sister, so I guess if you called it 'Yamina Anne' you would have it covered...
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 8, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9269163

[quote="Seachanger"]I think that only you and Wayne have the Aurea from Yamina as far as I know, Shaun...unless either of you have given it away...
Wayne called his Anne for his sister, so I guess if you called it 'Yamina Anne' you would have it covered...[/quote]

Apologies for any confusion! Yes, this is the Yamina plant. I no longer have it, and no longer want it. :) I did post some to Chrissy some years back - probably just labeled it as "Sister Anne". :)

Dianne, the plant you are thinking of is the one Alistair once had listed as 'Goldens Kornett' when he had the nursery, Meroo Meadow Perennials. It is a fab plant! We have a giant clump of it growing up in the back corner of or block. Shaun, you have this plant also.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 8, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9269168

>Now you've peaked my curiosity with 'Naomi'... :-)< Dianne.

'Bucks Fizz' x noid.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 8, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9269206

This is getting confusing, lol
But Alistair advised me in a BGI post back in March, to get the Yamina aurea,

He said.
"Dianne, Yamina Rare Plants have a very robust aurea. Seems to be similar/identical to GK. Well worth getting. I'd offer a cutting, but I no longer have it!
I have just been collecting aureas around Bogota, and a lot look like GK with that excellent foliage! Similar flowers in white cream yellow and orange. "

Anyway, Shaun, you probably have all of the best ones including the Yamina...

Wayne, that's a very attractive pink, lovely corolla tips...
All of the cuttings and seedlings are growing furiously at the moment, so it's a great time for us..
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 8, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9269216

'Naomi' is lovely Wayne ! I have the other Buck's Fizz pink cutting of yours starting to bounce back up, whew I thought I had lost it.
It died right back after the frosty mornings but here it comes back from below. Looking forward to meeting her, I think it is so exciting to know that Buck's Fizz can "allow" pink to come through in it's Brug babies.

I wouldn't say mine are growing furiously yet, but they are in ready -set- go mode ^_^
Better get out there before any more visitors turn up, so much screaming to be done.
I hope everyone enjoys this beautiful day.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 8, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9269225

oops I forgot something ...remember when Ivoire and Tintarella where both blooming in Winter ? er I found three little pods growing on Ivoire ...the plant is very young to be a mother but fingers crossed ! ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100      

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9269250

thank you for the info Wayne &Dianne, My aurea from Alistair which i have coined aurea (form) after i had a chat with Alistair and he had miss named it which was Golden Kornet i also bought from him in 2006

Wayne Naomi is a very cute looking Bloom Stunning

not much happening here other then seeds popping every day in about 20 different sweat boxes and have a new 1 which the gardener had offered to me it holds 6 trays and is about 30-40 cm tall made of fibreglass going out so it will be cleaned up and used for the rest of my seeds that are slower to germinate.

Off to the Ferny Creek Hort Society gender opening today to see what is around and hopefully to get a TREASURE

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 8, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9269373

Chrissy, I forgot to warn you...Ivoire is very much like Pink Panther in that respect...anywhere, anytime, seems to be it's motto, I'm always taking them off...
That sounds like a very nice cross with Tintarella, hope they stay on...
The sun is out, hooray...
Dianne.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 8, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9269390

Two different plants Dianne - one which some years back was sold as GK (MMP), the other, a plant which is as close as you can get to GK (Yamina).

Here are some pics of another pink from 'Bucks Fizz' x noid. Much smaller tips and much lighter in shade to its sibling. However, a prolific bloomer!

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter         

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 8, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9269461

Isn't it interesting how those two BFxNOID seedlings have different-shaped blooms? The second one is much more suaveolens in style. Very pretty, both of them. And Tintarella is an absolute charmer! Tintarella, Ivoire and Shaun's dwarf pink: very similar type of aurea flowers, petite and very pretty.

Here's an unnamed yellow/gold I saw at an Open Garden today. Don't know anything about its history and of course it had no scent during the day. All I know is that it's short (maybe a metre high) and has apparently never grown taller than that. Not bushy either, a bit spindly in fact, but as it's been so dry and warm these past few weeks it's hard to tell whether it's naturally spindly or just reacting to the climate. And no, they didn't have it for sale LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 8, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9269493

Hard to tell what it is from that cestrum, was it a good open day ? see anything interesting ?

As to the different shapes from the same crosses ...well we know from the data bank how variable the Brugs can be. If you look though some seem to have stronger influences on their babies than others.

Wayne that's the one I have from you ...(I call it Pink Buck's Fizz in my head until/or if, you give it a working name.)

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 8, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9269496

Ooops Dianne no warning required ...both parents very very fertile, so I thought Ivoire would be fertile too, just surprised at seed pods set in Winter (we did have some sun on those few days.) Crikey we will need little Brug chastity belts soon !.

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 8, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9269507

I think Chrissy we talked about a working name for that "pink" as 'Pink Champagne' - a play on 'Bucks Fizz' being orange juice and Champagne. :)
I hope it does OK for you.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 8, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9269509

I saw a handful of brugmansias but the only one I could identify was a mature knightii. There was also one pink but as it had only a single tattered pink bloom, I couldn't identify it. Plus a couple of others without any blooms and none of them had labels. There were an amazing number of pink dombeyas, sadly past their flowering prime, and one large red-flowered one which I assume is D. cacuminum. Lots of orchids including some lovely pink ones in hanging baskets growing under a wisteria-covered arbour. Lots of bromeliads including this large golden one. There's an orangey-apricot poinsettia to its left, too.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2012 2:44 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 8, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9269510

...LOL...Chrissy...
Maybe I could start a new eBay store... Bruggies undies...
What with bras for Diane's and chastity belts for yours

I could start a whole new trend in plant accessories...

Just been out in the sun...lovely...
I repotted dwarf Pink 'n'Green and aurea ( form ) into larger pots.. They are now happily sitting next to GHA as the start of my aurea walk.
I still have to find a place for a large 4' flowering cutting from GHA ..I still cannot understand why I planted it months ago.
As if I dont have enough of him around.. I just cant resist poking healthy bits from any plants into the ground .

I am resting now and will do more tomorrow.
I have been stockpiling bags of potting mix as I am going to need a lot over spring.
Next in the repotting line are Ivoire. and 2 more aureas. Cant remember which now. I think one is from Lucas
I am not going out to check tags.

I also got busy this morning and planted out my onions and leeks.
Can someone explain to my forgetful brain that one does NOT plant the whole packet of onion seeds.
Looks like I will be selling onion seedlings at the T&T too.

Better go make a cuppa.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 8, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9269539

'Pink Champagne' it is Wayne ...just making sure ! I think it will be a good parent to a whole new line.

Sounds lovely cestrum, pity the weather has wrecked some blooms ...never thought I would be asking for rain again.
Love the sound of an orangey-apricot poinsettia.

Why not sell brug undies Jean ? I like those sheer ones Al has on his.
Yes I always over plant, we don't need as much any more But I always forget. All of our rellies do too ! better too much than not enough. You want 1000 veggie recipes?

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #9269552

Jean if all of them are in pots and labels go astray i would recomend Liquid paper pens i have post that i wrote on over 10y ago and they are still legible so this is a way to keep track of them.
Cestrum what a sham you could not ID them i do under stand that tatered is bad for Id-ing.
Wayne i do remember you talking about 'Pink Champagne' a while a go very pretty

I was up in the Dandenongs and stopped in 3 places 1: Ferny Creek Hort Society. 2: Clourhill Nrsy, 3: Gentiana Nrsy bought from all Salvia's Dog Tooth violets, Aroides, Poppies & fritt's.
I also saw my old Employer who is also looking at selling Brugs i offered my Bolg and they said yes, They bought from 1 of the Ebay sellers that have wrong names on all of them, They also knew that so im writing to them and seeing what deals we can make!

Got home and potted up about 100 cuttings of Brugs took about 2 hours.

Thanks Chrissy for your help
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 8, 2012
11:07 PM

Post #9269559

Sorry, Shaun, I should have been clear.er in what I said.
I have good labels but was just too lazy to go out and check the names.

I use plastic labels in the pots plus all brugs have a lock type tree tag on them with name in paint pen.
Name never likely to wear off for years.

Sounds like you had a great buyng day.
Lots of new plants.
Where in the world do you fit 100 brug cuttings ?

Wayne, Pink Champagne sounds a lovely name and appropriate as you say. .

I am still watching Hyacinth here. Talk about slow in this weather.
Maybe I should cross her with GHA to get buds that will open a bit faster.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 9, 2012
12:02 AM

Post #9269577

Mrs Bucket er um Hyacinth Bouquet just does not want to know here, maybe she does not like my Brug Factory in the Bush probably too common for her highness lol.No doubt she would prefer a Prim and Proper Garden. That's ok, she can sulk away, guess who won't be going with me in a couple of years. Too bad she will miss out on prim and proper, up there on the mountain.

Thanks for the tip on liquid paper pens Shaun.

Now here is an idea for those of you who want to make some pocket money to buy more garden goodies, since many people are scared of trying to grow Brugs out them from seed but would like the thrill of a new Brug ...why not offer sturdy little seedlings. (with the names of the parents) ? make a label or picture with the parent plants pictures on them, explaining that the seedling will be a hybrid- along with growing instructions.

I would buy that, wouldn't you ? ...just think back to when you first started. Include a message to write down the details of the cross(and Hybridizer) explaining that if it is a really beautiful bloom, they may want to name it one day.
You can do that from home via the Ebay and or at the Markets or venue of choice.

Just a thought ^_^
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
2:06 AM

Post #9269585

Jean the cuttings are all in 3" post i have them in trays under the mother plants where there is a bit of room about 3 feet so i can do about 3 trays of each for the short time any ways.

Chrissy im looking at selling via ebay & markets in the next few months and will only be selling Brugs and nothing else, the idea of the seedlings are a great idea but im scared that it could be the BLUE 1 i have sold as a seedling so i will not/never sell seedlings tho many of my hair dressing clients have asked why not and i have told them that they have not bloomed and i would not sell something i have not seen, it could be the worst plant ever but NO i could not do that to a potential customer.

Poor Mrs Buket she should just get her crap 2gether and bloom for you really she is only a commoner in the first place (not the brug) hahahahah SORRY
Shaun

Chrissy the Liquid paper pen is amazing and works well never fails, and you can have the names in your face, Try it out
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 9, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #9269592

Chrissy... I have sold named brug plants on ebay, and have thought about selling small seedlings which have not yet bloomed but(like Shaun) I am a bit reluctant to do this. I think giving the seedlings away to friends may be the way to go.Your friends get to name them if the blooms are good enough but usually you can ask for a cutting back. I seem to remember(about 5 years ago) someone in West Australia offering a number of un-bloomed seedling plants for sale and they listed the names of the crosses. I assume these seedlings were grown from imported seeds. I was very keen to bid on these ebay items at the time but the seller removed them from sale before the end of the auction.
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 9, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9269603

I won't be selling Brugs, not on Ebay or anywhere ...but I know some of the people here do.When I saw one of the American gardeners selling seedlings due to a move, I would have loved to have snapped some of them up. Saves time and worry.

It made me think that it might be a good way to save people the worry of trying to get the seeds going. After all a seed does not guarantee an outcome either, but they are snapped up by people wanting that cross. You don't get mad at the Hybridizer if it isn't pretty.
I get -that serious breeders want to see what they are getting , I just thought the ordinary gardener would love the opportunity.
I can't tell you how many times I get " seeds don't do well for me , could I have cuttings please". Out of hundreds of seeds I have given away ...you never seem to hear what happened to them, nor see any new ones around that may have come from them. (I am talking about the people that have asked me privately over the years as well as some here). I am sure I am not the only one.

It was just a thought bubble ^_^

chrissy

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 9, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9269623

Chrissy , the idea is good, but I myself would not sell brug seedlings on eBay or anywhere .
I sell epi plants sometimes but ALWAYS state that it is a noid if I havent had it bloom.
Epi cuttings are usually sold as a mixed lot of noids. .
The irises are either sold as named with MY bloom pics or as noids.
I have sold other plants at times but found that soft ones like brugs, dont travel well as seedlings.
Brug cuttings are always good through the mail.
The seedlings can travel if well packed but it all depends on where they go and the local PO.
Not something I am going to do anyway.
If and when I ever sell brugs it will be cuttings from plants that I have flowered and have pics of the blooms.
Just my thoughts, others may think differently.
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9269637

well been out and took a few pic's here are some cuttins i have potted up today
Pic 1:
4 x 3-5 foot tall Dr.Seuss
1 x 4 foot tall Old Apricot

Pic 2:
1 x 9 foot Dr Seuss
1 x 9 foot Old Apricot

Pic 3:
this is 1 of 3 seedlings of Strybing Vulsa X.vulcanicola 'Zunac' (hybMichael Graupe)

Pic 4:
and 1 of the BGI (Rosa Lila x Sang) x Oro Verde) x Gelber Engle Pod2 which i have 4 of

Chrissy i do try to keep People informed about there seed that have been sent to me most are still less then 2 foot tall, i also have to be patient for the growth to be put on before saying to much like the ones in pic 3&4

I do remember the person selling the seedlings as they were moving to a completely different state there i was watching that and wished i could have grabed some also

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 9, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9269680

Shaun the Dr Seuss you sent me is up to my shoulder ...pretty good considering it's been Winter.
You are doing very well. the coldies look good too.

Once I send seeds out they belong to whoever received them, I didn't mean anyone here, and no one has to tell me what happened to them, it's just a thrill to see someone get results. I honestly thought all of them would be white (which is the most common thing we read they are) and having seen some of the results, it just makes you wonder what might have happened to them.
Never mind ...lots to look forward to and congratulations on your Brug baby flowering for over the pond, it looks a lot like D PnG, in white (so far). Lovely.

Jean I mentioned the markets because I know you go there. Yes I guess the ones you know, might be for the best.
I still reckon if I saw a seedling from a good cross on the table at a reasonable price from a reliable seller I would grab it ^_^
But then I am a Brug Nut !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 9, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9269775

Ok I hope everyone can see these results on FB very interesting results of some of the crosses I guess most of us have.

http://www.facebook.com/chris.tonitto

It just goes to show how unexpected some crosses can be, if you can't see this link google Jammy Gems ...it might come up there too.

Enjoy ! or be very surprised.

chrissy

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 9, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9269979

> I seem to remember(about 5 years ago) someone in West Australia offering a number of un-bloomed seedling plants for sale and they listed the names of the crosses. I assume these seedlings were grown from imported seeds. I was very keen to bid on these ebay items at the time but the seller removed them from sale before the end of the auction. < Allan.

Would that have been Danney Nunn. Danney AKA "Missinformed" (via eBay) ? Back in 2006 she moved from WA to Mackay Qld. with her son.
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 9, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9270099

Great link Chrissy to Jammy Gems photos. Great variation of results from the crosses. "like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get"

Wayne, could have been Danney Nunn? I do not remember the ebay user name of the seller. I remember I was very disappointed at the time when plants withdrawn from sale however soon after I realized I could buy OS seeds direct from sellers on ebay.

Allan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 9, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9270103

Thanks very much for the link Chrissy, It was very interesting..so many familiar names there...interesting results and Jammy Gems is growing hundreds of them...wow..
Haven't we been lucky with our results, growing so few in comparison...
Looking at all of them made me feel very fortunate...
Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 9, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9270112

I really agree ...some were quite a surprise don't you think ? some of our home crosses are just as pretty, if not prettier.

That is interesting Wayne ...that was well before my time, I was just discovering the scene around then and didn't know anything about Ebay until ages later. This year was my first venture into buying anything from Ebay.
I preferred to buy from the seller's site (Brenda). I was approached by someone (Kristen ) I think, to swap some Brugs, but didn't, due to another lesser trustworthy place up there (and because I was still trialing FFA).
I think that gardener offering the seedlings may have sold the lot in bulk, a one off perhaps. Or just testing the waters, I guess we will never know.

I am busy packing up seeds and other things today so ...have a lovely Morning everyone ^_^

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 9, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9270123

Just went out to check on the brugs. Heres GHA this morning . He is getting ready for another flush
Lots of new buds forming and a few flowers left from the last lot.
He will just keep going right through until he has a short rest at the beginning of winter.
Look at all the foliage even after a very cold and windy winter .
Hidden away in there is also a pod (noid)

Wayne , this is the suaveolens you sent mistakenly for Giant.
It is looking good and flowering. again this year.

Sorry Chrissy, couldnt see those pics as I am not on FB.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 9, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9270384

Hello help please ...I have Allan's previous addy ...could someone please D. mail me with Allan's new addy ...by 3 if possible, want to catch the mail. ^_^

thankyou
chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 9, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9270387

Please disregard Chrissy's last post. I have just given her my address.
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 9, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #9270414

Whew ...seeds sent.

I know we had a chat about no more seeds, I totally understand that feeling ^_^

However many have been on a long Brug journey here, right back since the early days culminating in some glorious Australian blooms coming along, from both local and overseas Genes. I think we are rapidly approaching the time ours will be up there with the best. Congratulations everyone ! ^_^

So with that in mind, I have sent out some seeds from the pick of my own crosses- only a small quantity (as you can understand- some are very precious to me). I spot check one in ten seeds for the presence of seeds so I am most hopeful of the fertility, though you will get an odd cork that may be empty.
I understand if you don't want them, please pass them along if you don't, they are a gift to you should you wish to try your hand at growing them out, nothing more than a thankyou.

For those waiting on a cutting/rooted plant they may have requested, they will go out following the October long weekend. If I have forgotten anyone please excuse ...you may need to remind me ^_^ memory not being what it used to be.

Wayne I am so happy to have found Coral Reef sticking out some little green leaves this morning, it looked gone ! they trick you. So happy to see it again, along with a few others that are waking up. I have so many seedlings towering over me from you, and some others, I am waiting to meet and greet, along with my own of course. Where is that Spring rain ?

Right now we are all breathlessly awaiting the first Spring flushes, hope the Sun isn't getting ready to make up for lost time and burn our pretty babies to bits. Time will tell, meanwhile go the Bruggies ! Bring it on !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 9, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #9270429

Jean, thank goodness you can't see GHA at my place, he's as bald as a badger...lol
but he is putting out lots of new growth, albeit very tiny at the moment.

Ivoire doesn't lose his leaves, but considering the texture of them it's no wonder...very old cabbage leaves is a good description of his late winter leaf...I might not cut it back this year and just let it grow...it will shade Topsy and the Joli x Charleston double white...so that's a good thing...

Ray is objecting to digging out the large Brugmansias, so most of them now are in big pots...
There are 11 in the garden itself...

It will be interesting to see the 'Autumn Sunset' flowers this season, I hope it drops it's skirt a bit more.
It only had 3 flowers last time...
It's an LBG x Bergfeuer, it was the only survivor out of 8 seeds...sometimes I'm a baaad mother..lol
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 10, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9270459

I think it takes some doubles a couple of years to hit their stride ...it is a very pretty colour Dianne, you need to put it with Jacayna to open up that tube if it does not do it by itself.

Sorry you can't see the pic Jean, I tried to find them somewhere else but couldn't, might be just as well since when I last looked in there we were confronted with a cranky Brown Snake in Alistair's garden down South ...eek !

It's quite warm tonight ...off with the top bedspread. Smokey air ...first blowie ...early Summer.

Enjoy your evening everyone

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 10, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9271298

Another warm sunny morning ...hope you all have a lovely day !
Lots to do like everyone else so ...off to do it ^_^

Enjoy !
⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯
⋰ ⋮ ⋱
✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿
╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 10, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9271469

Ok too hot now ...lunchtime.

After lunch ...dragging some seeds out of the fridge, got a feeling it will give me a fright !
I am going to write them all down on one page ...eeek lol !

Time to get serious about the Spring seeds.
What did you think about the results from Jammy Gems ...surprising weren't they ?

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 10, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9271499

Ok I found them on FB, might be able to see the Album if you approach FB through the blog as businesses have their FB page open to the public without being a member.
They are doing a great job from what I can see.
http://www.jammysgems.com/apps/blog

chrissy ^_^

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 10, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9271522

They will be put into the Cultivar Data over the next little while (for those who can't see the album). Meanwhile I like this one because they don't enhance or trick up their pictures.

chrissy

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
3:13 AM

Post #9271653

Chrissy i have also been watching this
http://www.jammysgems.com/apps/blog
i think that what they are doing is great and those crosses are WOW really interesting and as you said surprising also, It's great to see some of those crosses that we have there as well
Dianne love your pretty babe 'Autumn Sunset' i hope she gives all you want this season and more good luck with her

very quiet her and hope all have a great day today it was 22oC here in Melbourne weather Fab me locked up inside with work

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9271657

Ha ha ha ...I think I scared people away with the S word ... *seeds*

Oh well ! *shrugs* ^_^
Visions of Sugar Brug Fairies ...by the hundreds !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9271658

^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8At8zfh_o3E

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9271833

i am concerned about what size seed OA is compared to suaveolens.
I do know that aurea are the largest of the seed then sanguinea
I have some pods that are almost ready to be harvested from it and do not know what to expect fro them
can you help>>>>>>
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 11, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9272147

Shaun, are you asking about mature pod size or the actual seed size?
We have had a pod on 'Old Apricot' that measured 300 mm on maturity! Other smaller pods on the same plant have yeilded viable seed.
As for B. suaveolens, small pods maybe only 50mm have ripened. Here, generally they measure about 100mm when ripe.
I hope that this helps.
Some old pics - theses seeds actually germinated! Poor old pod - a bit over done.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 7:29 AM

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter         

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9272303

Wayne thank you for the information, it was the seed as i have never had pods on OA before.
i have has many suaveolens pods and i know the seed well,
OA is new so this is what i was asking about i also have about 6 pods on OA and the vary in size from about 70mm to 300mm I am finding that all pods are ripening together so i will be harvesting soon i just don't want to get startled if the seed is not what i expect

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9272417

Shaun if you are concerned at the difference between one Apricot or another -because of the earlier mix ups with the Versicolor,
Here is a picture of what a Versicolor seed pod should look like. The seed itself if Old Apricot is quite smaller than an aurea, but quite larger than the teeny Suaveolens.
May I remind everyone that some very fresh seeds are softer than old seeds, so if you peel any of those, soak overnight first to soften the cork. Feel the seed after the soak and if it is still slimy (water repellant) swish the seeds around a bit then change the pre -boiled tepid water and soak a few hours more. Some Aurea and Candida are covered in this slime film. Wash your hands well over doing the feel thing. ^_^

Here is the Pic - enjoy your day everyone.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9272434

Harvested my first seedpod on FFA today(FFA x Fernando). Took 20 weeks to ripen. Nice fat pod which should give me many seeds. Will let the pod dry a little before opening it.
Allan

Thumbnail by boolarong204

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9272452

Chrissy thanks for that i have not had problems of confusion just never had a versi seed pod or fresh seed straight from the pods. Iv only ever had aurea & suaveolens so it's new to me

Allan that is a real stunner a real little chubby girl she will have many healthy babies when you sow them Good Luck

here are 2 pics
OA x.Ecuador pink & OA x.Frosty Pink the pods are starting to soften up so im sure that the pod is not far from being ready to be harvested

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan         

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9272468

Interesting how the pollen donor seems to influence the shape of the pods on the pod parent. I remember we had this discussion with Brian but don't remember what we decided!
That ruler reminded me that there's a colour chart on the other side. Here it is in an attempt to show the colour of Joli x Bergkonigin, which has coloured up nicely in the warm weather.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ         

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 11, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9272469

What a chubby pod, Allan...it looks as though all the skirts from Fernando and FFA are packed in there...lets hope so... :-)

Iv'e just given OA her annual hair cut and she looks very respectable now, new growth everywhere on her stems...I had to fight with a clematis that has become very attached to her...lol..
I left some bits of branches hanging in the clematis who just would not let go...

Buck's Fizz has upright growth for the very first time, but I think that I'll take it off, I love it's spreading look...
Shaun, will you post a pic of your US baby on here, ...I'm sure that everyone would like to see it...
Al, would be pleased I'm sure...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9272486

Here are more pods showing differences in size. The stem is usually soft and yellow to brown.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100      

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9272499

I now know the pods have typical shapes as a that you can pick out, however the mixed Genes pod parents perhaps are a whole different thing ... ie I can see the mix in Butter Bomb ...ie fat Aurea type body with the Versicolor tail (to my eyes).

Allan ...blessings upon your pod, I hope it produces lots of lovely brug babies for you.

Lovely colour on that bloom cestrum. ^_^ she is quite a showgirl.

Dianne that picture is Al's picture ...better to show a link or ask Al if he does not mind. :) I used someone else's picture in the early days and was reminded it is polite to ask someone before using their picture * blushing * I haven't ever forgotten it.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9272506

Yes, always polite to ask first ... unless you steal blatantly, as I did with one of Dianne's pics earlier in the year :-)
Snapped off a piece of that JxB seedling back in autumn. Seemed a shame to throw it out so cut it up and potted up and now it seems there are shoots! Might be almost time to find a new home, if anyone is interested in a swap? In exchange for something interesting ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 11, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9272517

I'm sure that Shaun would ask Al first, Chrissy...he's not impetuous like some...lol

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9272524

This was a pic from over the pond ...not here but it's still probably a good idea to ask just in case.

Ha ha ha I think since you are putting up the first swap it might be a good idea to discuss swaps. For later.

How do we approach it ?
I tried to set up a swap thingy but it was ignored ...so any ideas ? re what someone wants and what someone has.
As the Season rolls on I am sure it will be popular ...should we list seeds too as well as rooted plants and cuttings ?
Open a thread and just bump it up every other day to keep it up there ?

Any input ?
ps ...how will we do it ?

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 12:30 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9272528

ha ha ha ...oh I think where Brugs are concerned ...he is.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9272532

For me, I'm not interested in swapping with strangers. (Might as well sell them in that case.) That's just me, of course!
Can't we just mention them as they become available--I mean, mention them in the current brug thread? All the interested people will be reading it anyway ...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9272535

And then the details can be established via Dmail.
Shaun, impetuous? He--oh my god, there's a strange man foraging in my garden!--surely not LOL

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9272536

How would you deal with everyone wanting it ?
I have seen and experienced what happens when someone misses out ?
Yes I agree just between us, that is what I meant.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 11, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9272537

An interesting lot of pods.
I went out to check mine. Here are the different ones.

pic 1... GHA x noid ( about 2 1/2 ")
pic 2 ..ButterBomb x noid ( about 3")
pic 3 ...aurea Lucas x noid ( largest about 4 1/2 ")
pic 4 ...Mango Cornet x Senorita Rosada ( about 3 1/2 " )
pic 5 ..Senorita Rosada x GHA. ( about 4" )

You can see how different they all are.
I am waiting to see what the seeds look like .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9272542

Yes you had better lock up that baby lol ...ok whatever way you all work it out for yourselves.

I still have burnt fingers so ...leaving it to you Brug nuts to work it out between you ^_^

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9272543

[quote="chrissy100"]How would you deal with everyone wanting it ?
[/quote]

I'm either thick-headed or thick-skinned (probably both!) because I don't see the problem there.
There will often be a limited no. on offer. You choose who to swap with and then just dmail the people who missed out--or send a general message to the forum--saying that the item is gone. It's not as if you're a govt. service agency, obliged to give to everyone who asks!
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9272560

Me impetuous
Thank you
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9272562

I mean, you choose who to swap with after they've contacted you via Dmail saying what they would like to swap in return.
So, initial offer on the thread.
Responses privately via Dmail.

It seems to me that every time you offer to give something--whether a freebie or a swap--you might come up against the problem of sore losers who miss out. What's the alternative? Just to approach a select few people directly via Dmail?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 11, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9272601

Chrissy and everyone. I think anything to do with seed swapping etc should be done via Dmail between persons.
It is noones business then who receives what.
We can list that we have seeds to swap without listing them by name, then do the rest via Dmail or personal email.
It will stop anyone knowing who gets what and then wanting same.
I am quite happy to swap any extra seeds when they mature. . Some will be going to the seed bank on BGI.
Its easy to simply say you have run out , when you dont want to send any .
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9272606

You are right of course cestrum.

Shaun ...so are you ! lol

Nice pods Jean ...aren't the shapes interesting. It's part of the fascination.
I hope you have some beautiful Brug babies in there, it's such a thrill to grow something from your own seed, or watch someone else's grow one of yours too. Good luck with them.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9272631

[quote="77sunset"]Chrissy and everyone. I think anything to do with seed swapping etc should be done via Dmail between persons.
It is noones business then who receives what.
[/quote]
But that means you're only limited to swapping with a few pre-selected people each time ...?
I'm just wondering: do we need to have a rule for everyone? Perhaps those who feel comfortable (with saying SORRY, NO) could use the general forum, and those who don't like doing that could Dmail people privately? Would anyone object to that?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9272648

You and everyone should do whatever you feel comfortable with ^_^ it's all good.

chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 11, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9272668

Chrissy wrote...
Allan ...blessings upon your pod, I hope it produces lots of lovely brug babies for you.

When I get a few more pods ripe on Fernando I will list what crosses I have and offer seeds to evetyone, so I hope not just brug babies for me!

I gave my Fernando bush a light prune yesterday and by mistake cut off a branch with a seedpod. Yikes!!!! It is Fernando X FFA. As the pod is probably only 2 weeks away from ripening, I placed the branch with seedpod attached in a large jar of water so all may not be lost. In any case I think I have another pod on the bush of the same cross.

Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9272716

"I gave my Fernando bush a light prune yesterday and by mistake cut off a branch with a seedpod. Yikes!!!! It is Fernando X FFA. As the pod is probably only 2 weeks away from ripening, I placed the branch with seedpod attached in a large jar of water so all may not be lost. In any case I think I have another pod on the bush of the same cross."

I have seen it done OS Allan ...good luck.

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 2:34 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9272724

OMGoodness ! ...lol getting to the point where I wish some of the pods were empty ! moving into the formal dining room to dry on the 8ft table ...it's getting a bit out of hand ^_^ ...theme from the Twilight Zone playing in the background !

chrissy
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 11, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9272729

The seed pod so fa are holding, the heat is on its way. ( Buck Fizz is the parent seed and pod holder, the Pollen was 2 Red Hot Pink & 1 Mango Cornet & 1 Apricot noid ) and there is a pod on Mango Cornet, the seeds I got last year ( Lucas and Cestrum etc ) that the ants eat and I was left with 3 Domain x Buck Fizz, and one past on, one is going to flower.

Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234         

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
12:45 AM

Post #9272767

as all of you know i don't have the varieties that you have yet but in the next 12-18 months i will have some quite lovely plants that you guys have helped me get ''''''I thank you'''''
however i do get seeds from my plants and when available i will also share buy placing a list on this brug thread then all you need to do is contact me!!!
when i ask for some thing and i have nothing you guys want at this point i always offer to pay i don't want to be treated as a leach or free loader.
I dont know what is the best method for the trade swap or give away of seed and cuttings but im sure every one has there methods but Dmail is a good way of keeping things a little on the down low.

Cestrum Jx.B looks great i bet she has a reasonable fragrance??? would this be correct>>??

Chrissy & Jean those pods look so full and im sure your going to have plenty of time for those babies

Gena WAY to go GIRL see the cooler weather has helped in the production of seed pods and im betting that your so raped with them

I went to get a cubic meter of Hort Potting mix today and it cost around $150 but its well worth it, I have also had a chat with them about developing a soil mix just for Brugmansia so i can have it in the future,

here is a new hot Box i got from a gardener that used it as a compost container it is Fibreglass and i have done a 1/2 ast job to get it to work i have to buy a sheet of Perspex to fit it and gil will add hinges to it. It reminds me of Monika Gottschalks hot box and it holds 6 trays and it is about 30-40cm tall so the plants can be in there for a while.

This is my latest seedling batch the pod came of early and i didn't think that the seed would germinate hahahahahah
Tantra x.Ecuador Pink

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 12, 2012
1:09 AM

Post #9272773

Shaun, even white corked seeds will germinate if you plant quite soon after harvesting so long as they are reasonably advanced.
If you have a special cross that came off too soon, for whatever reason, plant them if you can see a reasonable little seed in there and they are a few months old. I had a wonderful swap with you, straight off. Check your feedback ! ^_^

Just wondering why that box would be better than the big polystyrene box ? I used a glasshouse sheet cut to size to keep the humidity up on mine, the first year I grew out the seeds from overseas.Looks good though, just don't let those little kids get too warm or they might go into shock if it's much colder outside.

Gena, I have sent seeds to you, I don't know how long ,mail takes to get up there.
Those buds and pods look good.

Have a great night everyone.
chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 12, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9272780

That's really good going Gena, did you get any free seeds from the BGI bank, you are entitled to some every 3 months...so don't forget to check them out...

Chrissy, Shaun leaves you far behind in the ' Enthusiasm for Brugmansias' stakes, I never thought anyone could want them more than you...your's is a passion, his looms large as an obsession...poor Gil...lol

I'm not too popular with Ray at the moment, Brug cuttings on the window ledges, seeds on the available tables, I can't put them outside yet, they all like the warmth of the house...A very large piece of Fernando in a vase, like about a metre, it was growing too tall and lanky where I had it, so I cut it in half and left half in the ground...it put out nubbies in record time, now I have to find a pot and a stake to support it...oh the trials and tribulations of a Brugmansia grower.

Forgot to mention, a friend gave me a copy of Gardeners Gazette and there is an article on Brugmansias by Steven Prowse in there...Did you know that brugmansia seeds require special treatment and are slow to grow?...Someone should have told the seeds on my window ledge...lots of interesting facts? in the article...
Dianne.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 7:58 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 12, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9272784

Yes I think Shaun is a Brug Warrior/Hunter, I am just a devoted ...

Angel's Trumpet ...
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´♥ ♥´¸¸♥´¯`•->❥❥❥❥

Devotee ! (aka Brug Nut)

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
2:47 AM

Post #9272791

I have been so in to Brugs for over 20years but not just Brugs SOLANACEAE
Brett Robertson & myself were collecting Solanaceae since 1989 and we had at one stage the Worlds largest Private collection of over 800 species and almost 1500 varieties, we had 90% or 78 species of Nicotiana not to mention we had over 50 genera buy the time we parted friends in 2000

we had around 60 different Brugmansia varieties and with in that there probably about 10 OA and 5 suaveolens 15 candida aka: Knightii then we also thought we had probably 5 versicolor but turns out to be OA

I would probably not be as ADDICTED if not for finding all of you as my passion was waning my thanks goes to Chrissy for finding me

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 12, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9272820

What has happened to your collection Shaun, I hope that it's still intact..or at least the rarer species?...
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 12, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9272827

Thank you Chrissy, will let you know here.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9272837

Dianne due to the bad parting and the collection was trashed i tyred to collect as much as i could but to not much avail
i have seed to about 400 varieties and many Nicotiana & Solanum but that is it i also did not store them well between 2000-2005 so the viability of the seed could be shot, I am trying to germinate as many as possible at the moment and just have my fingers crossed

im now looking at variegate Tobacco which i find interesting i have ATM 'Nicotiana langsdorfii 'Cream Splash' i have also bought from US 2 other variegates that are in propagation right now so im praying

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 12, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9273246

Looking forward to seeing how your 'Tantra' x's go Shaun.
Here is 'Tantra' x 'Frilly Dilly' (FD = 'Muskateer' x 'Fernando').

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 12, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9273253

'Coral Reef' - pics taken yesterday. This flush commenced in August. The next flush (spring) will see the blooms colour up to the usual over-ripe rock melon colour.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter      

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 12, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9273306

Bad luck on the collection, Shaun, but thats how life treats us sometimes. At least you still have a chance of some seeds germinating. .

Wayne your Coral Reef is looking lovely even if a bit paler.
Dont we all get a bit pale in winter ? ...lol
I love the name you have for your baby, Frilly Dilly.

Lots of rain here overnight so all my brugs are well watered.
Jean
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9273311

Wayne That pod of T x.(Mx.F) looks very plump, hope you get some nice plants from it
Even tho Coral Reef is pale the plant looks great and the bloom interesting.

Thanks Jean, life is a struggle at the best of time and we just get on with it

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 12, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9273319

Oh Shaun that would have been devastating, sorry to hear that. You have a great attitude about it ...just keep on keeping on mate.
We get knocked down but we get up again ...right ? Good for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODkVkpaVQA

Wayne that pod looks full of promise ...my favourite pod shape :) and Congratulations !
Love Coral Reef.

Gena I posted all the seeds at the same time ^_^

chrissy
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 12, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9273402

They are here, Thank you very much Chrissy.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 12, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9273438

[quote="DeadlyNight"]
Cestrum Jx.B looks great i bet she has a reasonable fragrance??? would this be correct>>?? [/quote]

Soft but very pleasing fragrance of talcum powder and something else ...
I wonder if the pollen donor of Coral Reef might have been Pink Panther, given that this brug seems so ... fecund?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 12, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9273449

Yes I suspect PP has been a very busy Brug !
that is very pretty cestrum.

You are most welcome Gena ^_^

I had to pop in and thank Jean for showing me the place to buy my winged beans !
They arrived just now ...don't you just love new veggies. This one is supposed to give great Nitrogen boosting !
Don't suppose I will get beans though , it looks awfully tropical, has anyone grown them ?
Just hope the seeds are fertile ...seems way too good (the price at 2.50 a pkt included post).
Still the supplier states that there is only her, no staff, maybe low overhead, but probably buys in bulk and repacks and sells,which sometimes means "old". Guess I will find out. I like the sound of Lime Basil too ...anyone grown that ?
Thanks Jean.
Here they are ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 12, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9273467

Oh dear having just posted that remark about tropical seeds ...checked the weather because I feel a bit of a cool breeze, of course ...2C expected by morning sigh !
This is why I always consider the October long weekend our true Spring (no more frost) here in my garden.
Must not complain of course after some lovely Sunny weeks now, might not plant those tropical beans just yet though lol.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 12, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9273494

I was just marvelling at the low cost of a book just arrived from the UK's Book Depository: a new small paperback for $7.20, including postage. How do they do it? Postage alone would cost almost that much in Australia! I've often noticed that it can cost less to post an item from overseas (esp. the UK and the US) to an Australian address than to post the same item between two Australian addresses.

Can't help you with the beans, Chrissy ... but I *miss* the variable weather! Our last day of frost here is generally believed to be 1 Sept (although the first week of this month almost set a new record this year). We're now in the middle of a few weeks of warm, dry sunny weather without much in the way of mozzies, almost no flies and low humidity: pure heaven--well worth the supplemental watering required!

Thought this would interest you, Chrissy--remember my Michelia figo cultivars (Lady of the Night and one, mislabelled I think, Coco) that set seed? Well, two of the seedlings have flowered and they look pretty much like the cultivars (LofN/'Coco'): left is the parent, right is the seedling (which had lost a petal or two by the time I got around to photographing it). The seedling flower does look larger but I think the parent cultivar has some larger blooms on it too (might depend on how many blooms are growing on the stem; there are far fewer on the seedlings, possibly because they're growing in more shade). I think the seedling *might* be every so slightly more fragrant, like the species M. figo. But honestly I doubt you'd tell them apart if they weren't labelled.

Oh, and while I was at the PO the lady who knows me there waved a padded envelope at me and said she'd held onto it until I showed up, as it had been sent to my old postal address. (Chrissy??!! I will of course have to sow at least a few of them LOL) So people, please note that I have a new postal address and there's no guarantee that this same lady will be doing the sorting on the day mail addressed there arrives!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 12, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9273659

Thank you Chrissy. A lovely surprise. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 12, 2012
10:47 PM

Post #9273708

Chrissy, this number of seeds is perfect, it allows me to grow them all out this spring...thank you very much..
There has to be some gems in these crosses...
Sorry Ray, there goes the top of the fridge... :-)

Cestrum, it doesn't seem very long ago that you spoke about the Michelias...how tall are the seedlings now?

Shaun, so sorry that you lost so much of your collection...
I had a look at your Nicotiana langsdorfii 'Cream Splash', It's very unusual isn't it...I don't know much about Nicotiana except for the basic garden variety...When you have them all up and growing you must start a thread just for them...
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 12, 2012
11:21 PM

Post #9273719

Thank you Chrissy. Lovely seeds.
Dianne, mine have to live in the greenhouse.
I told them they are not coming inside. They all seem to grow out there okay and are out of hubbys way too.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 13, 2012
2:48 AM

Post #9273753

Hi everybody,
Hubby celebrates his Birthday tomorrow,
been cooking up a storm all arvo.

Back tomorrow after the dust settles ...
Very happy everyone has their seeds, remember, you don't have to grow them, pass them on to someone who might like to if you don't want them..
They are yours and I hope perhaps there may be a pretty Brug or two in there.

It's cold tonight ...dry too so probably frost eek !
Enjoy your evening ^_^

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 13, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9274229

When I was writing the labels for Chrissy's seeds last night, I smelled something very pleasant ... perfumed envelopes, Chrissy? I'm pretty sure a friend of mine has that same perfume although I can't remember its name.

Here's the latest Aztec Gold x unknown seedling to flower. That's not a trick of the camera--it has a definite pink tinge. When I smelled it last night I could have sworn it had the classic oriental-lily perfume of my white suaveolens but, as it is actually growing underneath that white suaveolens, I'm now wondering if perhaps the perfume came from the white suaveolens itself. But I sniffed the flower up close and I'm pretty sure that's where the perfume came from. Anyway, I've dabbed a bit of pink pollen on it but didn't want to ruin the flower by tying it up--am hoping the colour might darken to more than a tinge--so covered it with a stocking. Hope the weight of it doesn't pull the entire bloom off! It's not as exciting as a double, I know, but as it's my own seedling I find it interesting :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ         

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9274272

Chrissy those seed lot were pritty cheap but good luck with them, I have never grown the beans but i used to grow about 30 different varieties of basil all reasonable easy to do so good luck with the lime basil it was probably developed from the same people that did purple & Green Ruffle basil from the UK

Chrissy say Hi and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to hubby and hope there is a great day installed for him

Cestrum that Michelia flowers look very similar to each other but the color is slightly off great to see some other plants being bought throw also

CESTRUM Aztec Gold x unknown what to say other then CONGRATS love the pale tone of the bloom could the pollen parent be Pink Panther???? i really hope that the color stays pale but your hoping for it to get a bit deeper what ever way very nice

cold here yesterday and looks the same again today
Have a grea day
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 13, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9274276

Pollen donor can't be PP because I don't have it. I assumed it was white suaveolens because of the perfume. (Remember that my white suaveolens appears to be a hybrid, so I guess it could be carrying pink genes.) Then of course there's Old Apricot and Ecuador Pink (assuming the seedling got its oriental-lily perfume from the suaveolens side of Aztec Gold). The only other brugs I had back then were aureas and it just doesn't look like it has any aurea in it.
Funny that you prefer the pale colour!
This was it last night before it started to colour up: looks pretty much like my white suaveolens.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 13, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9274286

Hello everyone. Before I get going to Hamilton, I have a request.

I did have Ecuador Pink here a few years ago, but it was a poor plant to start with when I bought it and it never recovered. and went toes up.
I desperately want him for breeding so it would be much appreciated if anyone has any nice above the Y cuttings...please .. pretty please...

I am quite willing to pay postage, just Dmail me.

thank you
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 13, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9274293

I'm not surprised it went belly up for you Jean, because in my garden it has been such a poor performer after the initial flush of flowers back when it was molly coddled. That was back when I fed and watered it religiously, as I had so few brugs. Since it's had to rely on maybe once-a-year fertiliser and mainly rain, it's barely flowered. It's not a tough one like OA, white suave or the aureas!
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9274301

Jean iv gone a few cuttings and can have one to you soon as the pot gets better roots on it

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 13, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9274507

Hi everyone ...just a quick look as we are about to have a Birthday lunch ^_^
Loving the pics ...talk later,
enjoy your day.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 13, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9274611

Thank you Shaun.
I will look froward to getting one and will put it down near the shadehouse with the other larger brugs.
He can grow under them and learn how to be a good brug..

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 15, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9276355

Just a quick hello ...such a busy time we have had this weekend !

I had to pop in to warn you of something after what I have just found in one of my harvested pods ...because I was busy I left a couple of ripe ones there on the plants until I had some time to deal with them.
So what did I find ...seeds starting to germinate inside the pods ...eek !!!! I will need to plant straight away lol ! oh no ! these EAxPS are so frisky, they must be related to PP.

So grab those pods as they ripen now ...else risk this ! you can't store or donate germinating seeds unfortunately.

Also on a quick note, Alistair said somewhere that you will be better off using a good E.Pink cross as a parent rather than E.Pink due to the number of whites you would get from a straight E.Pink cross. I think everyone should have E.Pink just the same, even if it is difficult and melts in the heat, if only because it is a classic. ^_^

Back later
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 15, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9276378

Sad news. Hyacinth Bouquet turned out to be a Mrs Bucket.
She threw her lovely growing pods off.
Darn woman.
I was so mad at her. I chopped her in half.
She will now reside in disgrace way down in the lower part of Brugsville.
No mansion for her. She can live in a humpy.

Bad plant...
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 16, 2012
1:25 AM

Post #9276401

Ha ha ha ...oh I know I shouldn't laugh !,
so sorry Jean, I thought she must prefer a cooler climate.
maybe she likes the Tropics. Never mind, you have your own lovely doubles to look forward to.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
2:02 AM

Post #9276405

Hi guys iv been out all day i went to a Salvia study group garden display in Kilsyth @ Wayne Berguss some amazing Salvia's he has and some of the most interesting fragrance foliage.
Now Brug Time... I have also been over at my sister-in-laws this afternoon to ppot up around 130 seedlings in to 10" pots that will be staying over there for the duration of ther growing cycle and i have more to go also about another 200 to be sent there but i have to go get more 10" pots as iv run out hahah how funny i thought i had enough NOT!

the plants in the garden are all sending off shoots and will be in leaf in the next month or so which will be great i also have a few plants with Buds on to

Hope all are well and the weather is OK for you

Jean Thank you, LOL poor miss Bucket

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 16, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9277112

Love to hear a little more about the salvia ...I do love them.
I am working today filling in for someone who is ill.

Storm expected ...I will be happy with a little rain for once.
Have a great arvo everyone :)

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 16, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9277212

Hi everyone, just doing a bit of maintenance in the Brug garden...chopping back bare sticks and such..
The first Bruce's Pink flowered today, a pale version of itself, but still a lovely flower..
Pink Panther has quite a few flowers on it too, pale as well.

Like everyone else my seeds are growing well...about half of them have come thru..
I forgot to put the bicarb around last night and lost 2 little coldies...%$#$$## snails and slugs...

Jean, you and Shaun will have to compare notes on your Salvias
Looks like Allan will get some rain at last...he will be pleased...

Here is a pic of Tantra this morning, the smell of his perfume at the back door and thru my window at night is wonderful. then further into the garden, the Boronias are superb...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 17, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #9277415

Oh I love the fragrance of Boronia ...lovely Pictures. Your garden must smell like heaven.
I missed my garden today.

We had the Storm and the rain ...not a lot, more noise than rain, now the sticks will leap into big green leaves.
The hail missed us this time.
Losing babies to snails is awfully frustrating ...however just imagine if they all survived, I suppose we would have to have acres and acres to grow them all out.

I used to have many different salvia once, you must tell us what ones you scored Shaun. I love my Pineapple sage.
I had many different colours and types until the jungle shaded them out.

It's still raining ...happy me !

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 6:28 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
2:31 AM

Post #9277428

when i was there the whole yard was nothing but Salvia it was designed to cover the wide range of growing requirements such as shade wet, dry sunny ect every plant had a label and there was even a Brugmansia there how apt>
i did not score any plants or cuttings but did help in the ID of 1 that was not hahah it was Dock YES the weed DOCK that was labelled as a Salvia and by closer exception i found this little babe herbaceous plant beneath it and every one had a giggle to my surprise i thought all Hard core collectors know there plants and that dock dose not look like a Lamiaceae member and all of the other collectors were in OR of the leaf of the dock/salvia.

while also having a walk through the garden i noticed a variegate sport on a plant and mentioned it to the owner and collectors they were blaza about it and one even mentioned to collect the seed, i said get cuttings form it and see if it holds and then take more cuttings from the cuttings this is how you find out if it is stable and then in about 2 years it can be named.

I was over Pams place today and potted up another 50 seedling it looks like the part of the garden i can use is almost full
i have a bit of room again in Lincoln Rd but not much to be sown i will be looking at some of the old seed that i have and sow them for now 1 tray at a time
Dianne love the Rhode's(Vireya)? with Tantra
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 17, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #9277446

Just an update on the mistakenly pruned branch with seedpod. After the branch had been sitting in jar of water 6 days, the pod had turned soft so opened it up today and discovered nice healthy brown seeds inside.

My plump seedpod FFA X Fernando yielded 268 seeds!! Yes, I counted every one. Never expected a seedpod to produce so many seeds!!

Lucky you Chrissy to get a little rain. Still nothing where I live, Brisbane north, but some rain again predicted for tomorrow so I live in hope. I hate the look of brown lawns. 60 days since rain.
Allan
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9277493

Allan it seems like rain stopped when i left Brisbane just over 2 months ago could it be an oman???
I hope you get rain soon im sure the tap has seen better days

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 17, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9278444

Congratulations Allan that is fantastic ! it is quite a surprise to often find so many seeds in a pod. One pod I had once was over 300 seeds, I think from memory it was a Suaveolens pod, I think from memory the smallest amounts come from the Pure Versicolor and some of the Aurea. Each fertile seed represents a victorious pollen grain. ^_^

Sounds like your Salvia adventure was interesting Shaun. Is that going to be your next project ?

I have to go rush out to plant yet another EA x PS x ? lot of seeds that I harvested today and like the previous lot, this pod too is full of germinating seeds, it is only happening in that plant so far, I wonder why ?

Here they are ... *scratching the head*

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100         

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 18, 2012
12:48 AM

Post #9278510

That's a nuisance Chrissy, as you said the pod was ripe, so maybe the spell of warmer weather made them sprout?
Allan, what a harvest...to quote you "Harvested my first seedpod on FFA today(FFA x Fernando). Took 20 weeks to ripen. Nice fat pod which should give me many seeds...it sure did"..lol

Yes Shaun, that was a Vireya next to Tantra...

It got very dark here about an hour ago, while I was taking some pics of Pink Panther...
Have a look at the curly little corolla tips...all the young ones are like this...they don't do it in the summer...

I stare at the PP fasc pods, but they won't ripen, they have tape all over them from snail attacks.They are 6 months old now...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 18, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9278544

Dianne.. My 2 pods on Fernando X PP (Fasciation pollen) are almost ripe after 23 weeks. I can feel them getting a little softer each day so expect to harvest them within a week. I will forward some of these seeds to you as soon as they are dry enough to post along with some of the MC X PP(Fasciation) seeds which have ripened previously. I have two little seedlings now growing of the MC X PP.

Today I harvested another plump seedpod on FFA, this time with MC as the pollen doner. Looks like another 200+ seeds in this one!!

Sad to say we missed the rain which was predicted for Brisbane. Just 2.5 mm in the rain gauge from some overnight drizzle today. Weather man says possibility of some rain next week, certainly hope so.

Allan..

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 18, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #9279611

Fantastic news Allan, I will certainly look forward to growing those out...thank you.
Hate to remind you of you long dry, but we got 23mm last night...we needed it too.

Chrissie, is FFA usually so fertile, or is it Allans hybridising expertise?...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 18, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9279618

Some of my earlier crosses may have FFA in them, I think I dusted a few things with the pollen (I could reach the flowers the first flush but then it took off to the sky.) However that may or may not have worked, though I was pretty sure some of the earlier ones took because in those days (prior to PP) there were no donor pods like there are now. I called them Surprise seeds, just in case so anyone who received "Surprise seeds" probably had some FFA in them.
I would love some of those FFA x seeds Allan ... if that is ok. (ok I hear you laughing *blush*) but the truth is that I am very interested in our Aussie crosses now, perhaps even more so after seeing some of those results from them compared to some of the OS crosses.
I look out at a sea of seedlings with many more to come and wish I had found Brugs earlier in my life but I didn't so I can only hope that all this years Brug babies will bloom within the next two years (weather permitting).
The really surprising thing is the Winter grown ones are looking just fine the long fragile looking stems are strengthening up and the leaves are doing well, I estimate a loss of about 20%, but I think it was the shock of that 30C day, that 20% just shriveled up.
Now to compare to the normal Spring germination to see if there was any real head start or not, it was not my intention but now they are here, I can't resist a trial of course.
I don't really know where to start with all of my other seeds, so many ...like all of us I bet !
Truthfully some of the crosses from what sounded good ...looked not so hot in that link I gave you before, it's got me to rethinking a few things ...
I think I will start with my Creamsickle crosses first because that was my heart's desire. (after my own of course).

What will be your heart's desire cross this year ?
Does anyone have that one you are dreaming of ?

The only reason I haven't started that already,is that I am flooded with germinating seeds of my own ...yes I have planted them, oh utter madness of course, but I look at each and every seed and think of what may have happened if I had missed that first little double seed (FFA). Guess that is how the disease starts ..."what if ..." lol.

Meanwhile and off topic, my black chilli seeds arrived today along with both lemon and cinnamon basil,plus pickling gherkin. The flat leaf giant parsley is so delicious and grows so quickly I recommend it to everyone ! The red mustard leaf is going great guns too ! a couple of my chilli plants from last year are shooting again ...don't you love a real Spring ?

Back to your dream crosses ...lets say your top 5 ...I will be back later with my top 5 dream crosses (from OS)

chrissy

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 19, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9279632

Lots of little seedlings coming along now. Some coldies too. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 19, 2012
12:44 AM

Post #9279633

Here is Domain x Buck Fizz ( 4.10.2011 ) I had 3 one past on one flowered now, still waiting on the other one, the ants got the other seeds. The sent today is very soft, may get stronger.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9279671

Chrissy as like you i lose about 20% enviable 20% in germination about 20% as seedlings and the rest i just hope work out to the best.

about my top 5 crosses
1:Rothkirch X.Herbstzauber
2:L'amour x(Rubiline x.Peanut) X.Bergkonigin
3:Creamsickle X.Super Spot & the reverse cross
4:Ostfreesland X.Lovely Lady & the reverse cross
5:(Rosa Lila x Sang x Oro Verde) X Gelber Engle Pod 2
cant leave out the cold group

I am also looking at a few of the Australia crosses as well Tantra x.Ecuador Pink
chrissy's & Allans
But just imagine what will happen in a few years from now with the explosion of OS seedlings up this year and have them crossed with our unique varieties compared to the OS ones,
like the aurea x aurea groups we are developing and then have them crossed with the OS aurea varieties

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 19, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9279681

Your plants are looking good Colleen. Looking forward to seeing the coldies.

So here are my 5 ...

Creamsickle x LBG
Creamsickle x Super Spot
New Orleans Lady x Angels Flight
Apricot Versicolor x Sommerzauber
Flame x Sommerzauber.

I know there may be some monsters in there, but breeding them back to good single should bring about some great brugs, but you never know what may happen. I do think the best result may come from the Apricot Versicolor x Sommerzauber out of this list.
The main choices are to enhance the Gene pool.
There should be some choice whites and creams in there, perhaps some pretty pastel colour too, fingers crossed.

Next the pinks ...
mostly Pink Smitty and Sam crosses but many others.
I must say it is a hard choice
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 19, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9279700

Dianne... I am glad you got a little Spring rain. We did get 3 mm last night but combined with the 2.5 mm the night before was only enough to settle the dust. I will be watering tomorrow so my plants do not go thirsty.

Gena, congratulations on getting your Domain X Bucks Fizz seedling to bloom under 12 months!! Must like your tropical conditions in North Qld.

Chrissy.. You are most welcome to some of my FFA x's. Will send some next week. That also goes for anyone else who wants some FFA X MC and FFA x Fernando seeds. I have plenty to share!! Just D-mail me and let me know.
My favourite cross this year was Rubirose X Sam(from Eliz Fichtl) but no luck with it as only 2 out of 12 actually germinated and the 2 that did were unable to shed the seed husk cap and died. Still I have plenty of other good crosses which may produce some good results.

Should be able to show you a photo soon of my first Tintarella bloom. I can tell that the blooms are going to be small which I am happy about as it will remain in a pot. Tintarella was hybridized by Chrissy( GHA x BB) and grown from seed by Wayne.

Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 19, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9279708

oops forgot to say ...nice crosses Shaun.

To all who have flowered their doubles already and are waiting for the Spring blooms, don't forget to put the results into the data base as they bloom, and then after a couple more good flushes, if you are happy with your plant and have struck it by cutting (preferably trialed by someone else, but it can just be you.) you can apply to put it into the Herald.
As for new blooms they can go into the data base to show the results of that cross, even if it is awful. You can update the Data base later if the blooms improve with maturity.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 19, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9279716

Oh dear Allan did you have them enclosed under plastic ?
I must say from past experience Rubirosa is very difficult to germinate and very fragile if it manages to pop up.
I still have some of that cross if you want some more to try.

I think you will love Tintarella she is very different to what we are used to, and starts out very feminine and girly then quickly tucks up her skirts into tight perfect tucks. She smells lovely too ^_^

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 19, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9279952

Gena, I think that we will all have to send our seeds to you to grow out for us.
Less than a year to flower and they look so healthy...
I think that yours must be the earliest to flower that we know of...

Colleen all looking good, especially Culebra, but I did notice those other plants seem to have a lot of space for themselves..lol

My List
Angels Exotic x Teri Schindler Schiavo
Bernstein x Herbtzauber
Rosalla x Rothkirch
Rosalie x Marshmallow Sunset
Ludger's Windsong x Angels Goldface

I've probably been taken in by the pics but I bought a few different crosses of Angels Goldface.
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 19, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9280350

Looking good everyone.. I have been moving brugs all over the place. All the coldies are in shelter ready for summer and the warmie teenagers are all along the path near a fence for shelter from the hot wind in summer.
The large brugs have to fend for themselves as they are too tall to be in much shelter. I have my aurea types along the greenhouse as the beginning of my scented aurea avenue ( very short avenue but still going to be lovely when they all flower.

My crosses ...hmmmm.. lots of them but these are probably a few of the better ones.
Like Dianne, I get carried away by pictures. I am learning to smack myself when I fancy something that may be lovely to look at but is not going to be good for what I want to breed. ...lol

Colorpoint x Charlston
Joli x Angels Summertime
Angels Sunrose x Langenbuscher Garten
Goldfinch x Jinny Lind
Joli x Friemershien

Some of mine from from OS , but I have some Aussies which I am going to watch very carefully.
Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 19, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9280398

What a great and diverse collection everyone !

Ostfreesland X.Lovely Lady & the reverse cross sounds very choice Shaun, (after the Creamsickle crosses of course) ^_^
I have that one too (looking forward to the results). Looks like we all have different ones except you and me.

There are some wonderful genes in those crosses, we will have a great time watching and waiting for those first precious blooms to open everyone.

I confess to not having heard of some of those crosses, though I am familiar with the blooms themselves.
I agree Dianne, Angel's Goldface is pretty irresistible to look at, like many " pretty " pictures. It would be lovely to get one like that over here. Go little one go ...

Jean, anything with Charleston in it should be a winner ! even if the flower itself isn't a stunner, the genes are great for making beautiful babies. That sounds exciting !
Like you I am eagerly awaiting our local crosses- go the Aussies ^_^

Off to work this morning ...
enjoy the day everyone and thanks for the response ! loving the crosses and loving the Brugs ^_^
chrissy

Brugmansia have a great future here in Australia
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 19, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9280419

Chrissy.. The Rubirosa X Sam seeds were under plastic(plastic propagating unit) but still got a poor germination result. Most of the other OS seeds are germinating well. Thanks for the offer of a few seeds of that cross but "no thank you". I already have probably more seedlings than I can handle now and have some Rubirosa x Berkonigin seeds recently sowed.

What a fantastic mix of genes we now have in Australia. We will be less reliant on OS seeds in the future.
Allan
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 19, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9280475

Allan, maybe the OS people will be banging at our door to get our Aussie seeds in the future.
Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 21, 2012
12:49 AM

Post #9281789

Nothing to show today ...just lots of babies popping, lots of veggie seeds sprouting ^_^.

We had a showery morning and a hot arvo ...very tired, as you all know this is the time of the hard work before Summer slams into us.
Seems to be taking forever for the Brugs to get going but I can see the little new leaves sprouting where once were sticks.
it's Friday YAY !!!!!!!
Hope you have all enjoyed your day.
Have a lovely evening everyone ...the weekend is looming fast. Still so much to do.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9282413

Hi guys I have just notices a few little white crawlies in my seed pots ans I am asking what is best to be used for them they look like thay are eating seedling roots
I have CONFIDOR, MALARHON & NATRASOAP
What one to use I can't loose this seedling as its one of the BEEGKIOGIN crosses
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 21, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9282426

My Tintarella produced a few first blooms last night(see photo) Very cute with a really nice waxy texture. Could only tetect a hint of a perfume, similar to BB Will have another smell tonight, perhaps my nose was not working properly.

Shaun, not sure what will kill those fungus knats. I have found they are normally not a problem on larger plants but I guess if you have a lot of them they may be a problem for small seedlings.

Allan

Thumbnail by boolarong204

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 21, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9282427

Try this Shaun ...it is a lot more safe.
I think you have fungus gnat larvae in your mix ...it may be too wet.

http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12955

Cinnamon sprinkled over the top of the soil.

Good luck ! I hope it isn't fly maggots (that fish ?)

Let us know how you got on.

Have a great Saturday everyone ! ^_^

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 21, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9282434

Hi Allan ...you will find that Tintarella will develop a "tan" within the next couple of days (it did here) and will tuck those petal tip up into neat hospital tucks.

In the earlier times, when I have grew out so many seedlings , I found fungus gnats in the corks and eating roots (I know they say they don't) but it really looked like they were to me. This was in the times of very heavy and constant rain.
It also ceased to be a problem in my washed river sand (maybe not enough dead stuff in that to attract them- they like dead plants fruit etc) just my experience.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 21, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9282477

I wonder if that's what these were in one of my seedpods? (It was the pod from the white suaveolens bloom with the cut corolla--now no more, as I soaked the entire pod in detergent water and then threw out.)

Can you believe that one of those fabric softener sheets used in clothes dryers might repel the gnats. And mosquitoes.
I wonder if it has to be that particular brand, because I'm thinking they'd be worth buying just for the mosquito repellant effect!

What is happening with the URL! It keeps changing.
OK: Here's the first part:
https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/blogs/urbanhort/archive/2011/01/04/

Here's the second part:
bounce-–-it’s-not-just-a-fabric-softening-sheet-.aspx

If you join those together (including the final slash in the first part), you should get taken to the webpage. So: (1) Click on the first part of the link. Your browser will open a web page with an error message. Then COPY the second part of the link and paste it to the end of the first part on your error webpage. Now you have the correct URL. (Don't know why this is necessary as I haven't seen it before.)

PS It says that newly-hatched larvae feed on the roots, so they *are* destructive.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2012 10:04 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 21, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9282503

Trying for a direct link:
https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/blogs/urbanhort/archive/2011/01.aspx?PageIndex=2

Seems to work. Just scroll down to the bottom of that webpage to the item titled 'Bounce – it’s not just a fabric softening sheet...'.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 21, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9282507

Well I just came in for a coffee and had a look ...oh dear the poor little seeds have sprouted and died in your POD ...then rotted off and went to fungal mess.I guess for whatever reason this is happening in three gardens here so far (Wayne, me and you), it must be weather related.So sorry cestrum.
I did read about the sheets of fabric softener somewhere but I dismissed it due to the brand being unfamiliar, you could try others I guess. Peroxide will probably kill fungus gnats too ...

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 22, 2012 10:25 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 21, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9282542

Just found two more pods with germinating seeds inside, better watch your pods carefully everyone !
looks like it is something to do with the Cluster of hot sunny days.
(SIGH)

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 22, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9282752

Too cold here Chrissy,
Sorry about all the sprouting pods and I hope everyone is salvaging enough for their own hybridising plans...
That whole page was interesting, cestrum. it certainly sounds plausible...

My twin pods look as though they have been thru the wars, black and white electrical tape over the 3 holes, snails must have amazing tongues...the holes are perfectly round like a tiny apple corer has made them, straight thru the green skin and the pith, right to the seeds...I have resorted to a nylon bag that is used for washing pantyhose...it fits the both of them inside and I can see what's going on...

Between the 2 Tantra pods, one of which is huge the other is tiny and the FFA x JC that is curved and split, but still no rot, which is amazing, because it's wide open and holds the water when it pours... the other twin fasciation pods which are very small and finally the PP x DP&G which is only little too...
I will be exceedingly pleased when they all do ripen.
Dianne
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2012
2:42 AM

Post #9282762

with most of my pods that i had this winter they did not do well i have sown many seed pods in hope of getting a seedling the inside were white and a bit soft but 6months on the plant you would think that many would be good WRONG
i also have a few left on the plants & still waiting on aurea(form) X.Culebra to be ready fingers crossed for some healthy seed there

with almost all my seed i soak in a bleach & water mix to kill any problems before storing which i find helps but what ever works for me hay!!!

Dianna i hope that those babies get to a healthy weight before they come of the plant PP(F)x.

Cestrum sorry to see that seed pod rot from the inside did you save any seed at all from it>>?
Allan WOW Tintarella is a very cute thing isn't she

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 22, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9282871

That's a shame Shaun.Very hard to accept ruined pods but your seeds should germinate, if planted straight away.

Never mind it is just starting Spring now, so plenty of time yet.

Good luck with yours Dianne. All the waiting ...

Allan would you mind starting the new thread when Tintarella folds up her skirts please ^_^ with a nice picture of those "Hospital tucks" in her skirt. She will be a very prim and proper little miss.

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 22, 2012 11:30 PM
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 22, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9283343

We have moved to a new thread, go to ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281193/

Allan...

This message was edited Sep 22, 2012 9:58 PM
marry1
london
United Kingdom

September 26, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9286595

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, I am very glad to be a member of this community, I couldn't find the right place to introduce myself so i am doing here.
I love to do gardening...
http://www.oneclicksports.co.uk/

This message was edited Sep 26, 2012 3:31 AM

This message was edited Sep 26, 2012 3:32 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America