-
AuthorContent
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 8, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9268909

Hi all,

I just found this site a couple weeks ago and I wanted to say ALL y'all are amazing!

I have been dumpster diving for most of my life, starting very young with my grandmother :o) so I feel like I have found some long lost friends here. I've read most of the posts and I feel like I need to get a bowling ball and get started! I don't understand the purpose of the garden totems, but they look cool. Oh and Wuvie - you have me hooked on thinking about concrete ideas! I thought about that a few years ago but just didn't want to put money into all the molds, release chemicals, etc just to see if I enjoyed it. Now, that I know that non-stick spray and an old bowl is all I need...well it won't be long. I've never done mosaic anything, though again, I have thought about it a lot. I just didn't know where to start, but you girls have me itching to try that too.

As for what I have been doing (though not as much as I would like)... is painting. I like all mediums and on just about any surface, but my favorite is oil on canvas - hence my user ID choice. I attached some of my work. My other LOVE is photography, which is painting with light. Trust me, between the two, empty wall space barely exists. LOL

Hubby just had a double fusion on his lower back on Wednesday (the waiting room has WiFi and was where I read most of the posts). I just brought him home so I likely will not get much "fun me time" for a while. But I am reading and making plans...thanks to all of you!

When I get something done I will post pics for your critique and improvement suggestions.

Debbie

Thumbnail by lovetopaint   Thumbnail by lovetopaint
Click an image for an enlarged view.

lindawin58
Ewing, NE

September 8, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9269017

Welcome!! You do nice work
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9269078

welcome .. sending healing vibes to your DH .. hope to see more of your work
Cheryl
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9269124

Welcome Debbie, this is a fun place to be.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9269341

Lovely and a good recovery for DH.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9269596

Beautiful paintings, and quick healing for your DH.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 10, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9270912

My step son was riding his racing bike four days out of the hosp . I liked to have had a heart attack . Maybe he will be on his feet sooner than you think . Healing thoughts for him

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9270919

Here's hoping the operation is a success..

Reading your post and wow, we have many of the same interests...look forward to seeing your works of art in progress

Edited to read:

love your art pieces, great dimension in them

This message was edited Sep 10, 2012 2:06 PM
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 10, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9271194

Thank you all for the compliments on my paintings and good wishes you sent for DH. He is doing well. I brought him home Friday night, and although he had a rough Saturday, Sunday was better. I pulled the 2 Lidocaine lines out when I changed the dressing since the "Q-ball" infuser was empty. So that was one less contraption he had to deal with and he was happy. This morning we were at the surgeon's office and he pulled the drain. DH is walking well and even walked to the mailbox today. (about a 200 feet driveway) Before this lumbar double fusion, he had to have another double fusion in his neck (he injured it all at the same time). I am hoping he is pretty well patched together this time. Who knows, maybe I'll get my back fixed soon.

I've read so many posts from all of you, I feel like we're already friends. I'm sure we'll have some things to share. Like I said, I don't have any new projects started yet with everything else going on, but soon...:-)

I just found a video I am going to post in a new thread that is unreal...recycling at it's best. But since it has nothing to do with me and my introduction post, I thought it should be separate.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 10, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9271321

This is your thread and you can put whatever on it you want . And if someone gets too far off your subject , you can send them a dmail and request they stay on topic , altho it will eventually come back to the subject (s) you are posting .Very seldom does anyone really care if it strays .
Just enjoy and soak up what you need , contribute what you want , and share a good bunch of friends that have a love of finding treasures that some think is trash . We don't care , they can keep throwing away their trash and we'll pick it up and make treasures out of it . Hugs
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9271373

Hello Debbie!

So wonderful that you have joined us! Looking forward to seeing your
wonderful works!

Karen

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
3:13 AM

Post #9271654

Morning,

Been up since 4:30 packing up a prject so i can entertain myself at work today..lol not even dawn so cannot say it will be a sunshine day, but am hoping it will!

so what do you hope your first project will be?

One of your loves is painting, can see by the photo's you love south western..I love painting in all mediums as well but prefer 'genesis'the new heat set oil. Guess its because there are no chemicals, mixed colors never dry up unless heated, that can be a good thing or bad thing, because they never dry you tend to put off painting your project.

Here's hoping your hubby has a pain free day

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 11, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9271713

Give us an update on D H . Hope this is a good day for him .
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 11, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9271951

Hi all,

Digger - I can't blame you with your stepson. I would have freaked out too! DH got hurt at work in March 09. He hasn't been able to ride his Harley or even allowed to drive since then. That is his one real goal - to drive and maybe by spring be able to ride again. But 4 days after surgery?!? Oh crap! I'd have had a heart attack too. Thanks for asking about him. He is doing a little better each day. The hard plastic body cast is tight and so he doesn't eat much at a time,(hmmm... Maybe I should get me one?) but at least it is staying down which it didn't do Saturday. This morning he went out on the breezeway with his tea. The weather has cooled off and is quite nice. He saw the raccoon before I came out. She comes to the door, sets on the top step like a puppy until we bring out the cat chow for her. (It was bought for the 2 feral cats around here, but she thinks it is for her) So he took the canister of food and walked out to the bowl, raccoon following on his heels. He just poured it into the bowl without bending. She looked at him a little funny but didn't care as long as she had food. It rained last night so the water bowl was already full. He wants to do what he can and he figured a way to do it without bending. He's asleep right now but he wants to get a shower since the surgeon said he could. It was just a little much yesterday for him and I think the week caught up with me too. When he napped in the recliner I took a 2 hour nap myself (something I never do) but I am just exhausted. Guess I'll get him showered after he wakes up, change the sheets and shower myself. Then see how the days goes. Oh and thanks for letting me know about the posting "rules" - good to know they are not so stringent here.

Betty - It's wonderful to know I have someone with the same interests as me too! Thanks for your compliments. You ask about my first project...well to be honest, it's not a trash to treasure I have planned next. I have some herbs and spices I dried, some others dried by my SIL and some I bought from -

http://www.herbco.com/c-2-bulk-herbs-spices.aspx

I also bought several of their teas and I have some of my own tea blends. I have them in bags and jars and cans but they need to be put together in an oderly, better system. My Dad had a thin bookshelf he'd made years ago and he no longer was using it. It just fits on the other side of my refrigerator, so that is my next project and I can be in the house should DH need anything. I'll post a pic when it's done. Hopefully today,.. tomorrow at the latest.
I do like the southwestern stuff because I wanted some artwork to go with my Native American decor. Yeah I know it was in style years ago, not now, but I had it before it was in style and probably always will because of my own Native American heritage. I never really cared about what's in style anyway. I bet no one on this website does, we all do our own thing. LOL At the time I painted these, DH was in Arizona for a couple years with the job he had at the time. When I went out to see him, we spent some time on his days off going to and looking for ghost towns. So I painted one I would have liked to have found. The other one I posted was one day while he was at work (he lived and worked in Mesa) I drove out to the Superstition Mountians, past Apache Junction and found a wash with the purplish mountains behind it. I embelished a little but it pretty much was what you see in the piece I did. One of his co-workers saw the painting and told DH "here's an article and picture of a rattlesnake, she what she can do with that idea" So I did and will post it below.
I haven't worked with the Genesis paints before. I use and like oils because they dry slow anyway. The ghost town took me 3 days because it's 24x36 and has a lot of detail like the bricks. Regular oils stay workable that long no probem as long as they are at room temperature. If it is going to be more than a few days, I just put the mixed colors into a little disposable plastic ketchup cup and lid from a fast food place and stick it in the freezer.

DH is up again so I should check on him. I didn't mean to ramble on like a novel. I guess I am just excited to have found such a wonderful site and so many of you who are like me after all these years of being the "weirdo" who doesn't throw away anything.

Hope y'all have a blessed day!
Debbie
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 11, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9271952

Duh - I forgot to upload the rattlesnake painting.

Thumbnail by lovetopaint
Click the image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 11, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9272032

Used to live in Chandler , just below Mesa .
Just got back from Chinese buffet , a once a week lunch with a friend,Thressa . She would never go by herself . Nap time now . The older I get , the more I sleep .
You will find a lot of talent on D G . There is a forum somewhere on art work . . When I wake up , if you haven't found it , I'll point in that direction . Hugs
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 12, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9272839

Oh yeah Digger - I know where Chandler is. We went down to the NHRA drag races there. Not far from the race track is a nice Native American museum too.

No I haven't seen an art work forum, but that's okay. I understand this is a T2T forum. I really only posted a couple of my paintings, like I had said as an intro of me, what I like and what I have done. If I shouldn't have done it that way, I am sorry. What I want to do and how I found this site in the first place, is searching for new ideas for trash to treasure. I was thrilled to find all the great work on cement, glass, and mosaic which I want to learn and do. But I will be sure to NOT post anymore art work. I'll wait until I get time to try some of the things y'all do. Again sorry.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 12, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9272846

We see artwork on here . You did fine . I only suggested the other forum to help you get familiar with D G .Your paintings are really nice . You can go back pages and pages for years and see paintings on T T . Some have put them on cardboard , tin , concrete , furniture , the list goes on . T to T is what got me hooked on D G .
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 12, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9272863

After looking , Crafts and Decorating forum must be the one I was thinking about . I used to go there all the time . I'm sorry , I thought there was one for painting , and there are lots of painting mixed in . Look that forum over , lots of great T to T ideas there too .
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

September 12, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9272877

digger...HELP! since I am "techno-challenged"...how do I find the Craft and Decorating Forum??? and thank you!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 12, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9272883

I'm still learning myself, kanuallc, but if you go to the top of this page , where it says home - my tools - communities, etc , click communities. You are there with the first posted info on that page .
Also , below that, on the left, where it always tells you what forum you are watching and communities , you can click on forums .

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 8:29 AM
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

September 12, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9272893

found it! thank you so much...on the other-hand tho, more time spent browsing instead of doing something productive...like the floors! lol
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 12, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9272901

I wanted to get a copy of an artical in the newsletter a coupla months ago and had deleted it . I dmailed the author and he told me how to retrieve it . I felt so stupid .All those things on the information at the top of the page , under the heading ' Daves Garden ' will get you what you need . (Usually)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 12, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9272903

Yeah , time to check F B then do something constructive
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 12, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9273296

Well it's not T2T, but it is not a painting, so I hope it's okay. I'm only posting it because I said I would. I finished getting my herbs, spices and teas in jars and on a shelf Dad wasn't using and gave me. The black plastic container holds my metal mesh tea ball and reusable muslin tea bags. The box on the top left leaning against the fridge is a French press coffee maker, but it works great for loose teas.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 5:31 PM

Thumbnail by lovetopaint

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 12, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9273322

Girlfriend , you have your finger in a lot of pots (southern saying ) . Those jars of spices are impressive . So we know you like to cook too !
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 21, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9282431

Yes, digger, I like to cook and I like it even better if I have someone to clean up after me. Many of these are medicinal too. I don't use the corn silk in cooking, but the tea I make with it isn't bad, especially with some honey, but it helps prevent and treat urinary tract infections. Some I use for both. I have dried ginger root that I use in cooking but it also makes a great cup of tea to fight nausea (think Gingerale without having to deal with bubbles when you're sick) Some of the other teas are just delicious and like a treat at night! I look forward to more with cooler weather coming.

I do have good news about DH - we went to the surgeon yesterday and he removed the staples. He is doing well and has been able to walk about a mile every other day on the treadmill. The doctor said that was the best thing to do to heal and keep scar tissue from forming where it shouldn't. He'd like to see him be able to get up to 2 miles in the next few weeks. Of course, he is still wearing the hard plastic brace over the whole torso when he isn't in bed, but he said that it is much better to deal with now than it was at first. I appreaciate everyone's prayers.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 21, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9282470

Happy dance for your D H .
Spice jars that size would get old in my kitchen . I just don't cook as much or enjoy cooking anymore . Part of it is you spend three or four hours making a great meal (for two ) and it's over in twenty minutes . Then clean up the leftovers to the fridg or freezer . Don'tt have but a coupla plates to wash cuz I wash dishes as I cook .
Come live at our house , You cook , I'll clean up . LOL
alday
Center, TX

October 28, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9318022

Hey lovetopaint, just love your paintings. You may want to try http://www.wetcanvas.com It is a site for all kinds of painting and photography. Lots of tecniques and advise. I love to paint also. All kinds of artwork. I am a teacher and teach watercolor and oil. I retired from work(owned a gift shop and boutique items) and planned to just teach art, but my husband has been sick ever since so I will have to wait a while. But I still do things just for me. HA I make old world santas and paint of gourds. Lots of fun. Alda
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

December 29, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9370060

Thank you Alda. :-)

I have been away too long from the site due to family health issues as well as my own but hoping to get back on here and catch up. Who knows, when I get over the latest thing I might actually get some time to craft again. I'm really itching to do something. I guess I can at least get the camera out one day.

Thanks for the link too. I checked it out and it looks like fun! I added it into my favorites to spend some time there.

Hope your Christmas was joyful and the New Year is blessed,
Debbie
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9370218

I too have been away, moved from NY to Tn and health issues too, we have to stay positive and keep the energys flowing,
a very Blessed New YEAR TO ALL!!!!!!

Thumbnail by kobwebz

lovetopaint
Newark, DE

December 31, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9371187

Hi Kobwebz!

I love, love, love your porches! The only thing missing is a porch swing hanging from the rafters on the far end, and of course some sweet tea, and you'll be ready for summer! :-)

From the design of the columns, windows and doors it looks like a wonderful Craftsman home. They always have all kinds of wooden built ins. I love those too! You're going to have a blast making it your new home. You'll find TN is a very pretty and friendly state, I have many relatives from there.

Hope your health issues are behind you and the new year is very blessed and happy!

Debbie
alday
Center, TX

January 2, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9373434

Hey Kobwebz, I love your house. I have a daughter and granddaughter in Lebanon. How far is that from you? I would like permission to use your house in one of my paintings if you say its O.K. THANKS, ALDA

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 2, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9373766

Just discovered this thread and I've been on DG for a very long time. I became addicted through the T to T forum and just kept discovering new forums all the time.

Happy to hear your DH is improving every day. I hope he soon can enjoy riding his Harley again.

Love that house Kobwebz, a swing hanging from the rafters on the porch would be my ideal setting.. I'd have a hard time keeping my DH from piling all his junk around.

lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 5, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9376184

Thank you Samigal.

He is progressing, slow but sure. He has been weaned off wearing the body brace and just started physical therapy. The last time at the surgeons, the x-ray showed the bone is starting to fuse. We go back in March and will know how much farther that has progessed. He is really looking forward to riding, but thankfully isn't pushing things. He sure doesn't want more surgery.
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 18, 2013
3:18 AM

Post #9388871

Hi there digger9083 ~ you mentioned something about Facebook. I'm on Facebook too! What is your name that you go by on there? You can leave me a "dmail" message on here and I'll send you a friend invite.

@ lovetopaint ~ your paintings are gorgeous. I see you like the beauty of the "southwest' also. That's how I'm decorating the interior of my mobile home ~ southwestern and the paint colors I'm using to paint my place are of the southwest color palette too. Already seems that we have 2 things in common don't we? We both like the southwest decor and you do painting and I do photography. You mentioned you left me a message on here somewhere? What was the forum comment you left it under?

Time to sign off & hit the sack. Another cleaning project to start tackling on Friday among a store errand to run. Catch y'all later!

Jennie
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 19, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9390150

Hi Jennie,

Thank you for the compliment on my paintings.

Yes, my living room is Southwest decor and has been for years and years. It's been "out of style" for a while, but mine was that way before it was "in style". Hey, I read somewhere it's coming back "in style", so we'll be ahead of the rest. I am mostly Native American so a lot of my things are of that design, from blankets to ceremonial rattles. That doesn't go well with French Provincial or something. LOL However, craftsman style works well. You'll see that in many of the western national park lodges.

Oh and we have even more in common. As I recently answered you in the C&CF forum, I too do photography. I've ridden cross country on a motorcycle several times just to take great photos. (Colorado, Yellowstone, Glacier NP and even up into the Canadian Rockies). I haven't done long trips in about 8 years but at 58, I still have my motorcycle and MC license for around town...and still enjoy it (on good days when my pain will allow it).

I'm sorry I can't help you on which topic my earlier comment was to you. It was here on T2T, and although with DH's surgery 9/5/12 when I discovered DG and read all the old posts, I didn't really reply to any that were not fairly new at that time. So It wouldn't be too far back. Don't worry about it. I'm sure it wasn't earth shattering importance anyway, coming from me. :-)

Have a good one!
Debbie

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9390428

Hello Lovetopaint and I am fairly new to DG too!

Your paintings are beautiful! Do you also garden?
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 20, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9391169

Thank you David. I guess we can welcome each other to DG.

I do garden a little. I grow herbs (see above for my shelf of some of them - some I bought). I wish I could grow more but I don't have the time right now. I had to quit my job and care for my mother daily until she passed away. I now care for my father who is 84, has some mobility problems and begining to show signs of Alzheimers. My only sibling, my brother is paralyzed from the shoulders down. His wife works, but has had 3 neck fusion sugeries, one just this past October, now in therapy and most likely facing a lumbar fusion. Their daughter had a malignant brain tumor with surgery, chemo, radiation when she was 3. That has been years ago and thankfully she is cancer free but the treatment left her learning disabled. She doesn't work or even drive. So I am taking all of them to their appointments and doing what I can. My significant other was severly injured at work in 2009. He has had a double fusion in his neck in 2010 and a double fusin in his lumbar just last September. He is not allowed to drive either and has now started physical therapy. There is more but that's the basics. I have medical problems of my own including 3 herniated discs in my lumbar and 3 in my neck. At some point when someone is able to take some of the load off me, I need to get fixed. For now, I take one day at a time, eat my pain pills when I can't deal with it and keep on truckin'. So having a real garden? Not now. I try to plant a few tomato plants in planters and protect them from the raccoons and I have a huge Night Blooming Cyrus that takes everything I have to carry out in the spring and back in the fall. Here is a couple shots of it's blooms this year.

Thumbnail by lovetopaint   Thumbnail by lovetopaint         

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9391192

Your night blooming Cereus is beautiful. That is one of my favorite plants. Thank you for sharing those beautiful pic's!

I well understand the concerns of aging family and aging me! Keep on truckin' as you say, and I truly wish and pray things will make an upturn for you. So many of us seem to battle so many things these days. Nature and growing things seem to help a lot. Just a few well loved and appreciated things makes a gardener. Your Cereus is one!

lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 20, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9391373

Thanks David for your kind words and prayers. I think we all need them.

I have to chuckle too. I realized I wrote Cyrus instead of Cereus. (What was I thinking? Billy Ray and his achy breaky heart or something?) I guess I'm losing my mind too.

You know, I always knew them as Christ in the Manger Cactus. If you look at the bloom you'll see why. The pure white for pure love and innocence. The yellow "manger" inside and even the single star of Bethlehem shines outside the bloom. Plus the fact that the bloom occurs at night and is gone by dawn makes it sort of magical. And the aroma...this was on my front porch in the middle of the house, and when you rounded the corner of the house about 40' away you could smell it. I love it too.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9391385

That is a well written and beautiful story, Love to Paint. I have never heard that nickname for that plant before. It makes me prouder to have one now, as I love Christ too...forever.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 21, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9392468

Yes I love Christ as well. I guess that's why I stick with that name. My great -grandmother, grandmother and mom always called it that, so I had to search for it a long time ago to find out what it really was called. It is also known as "Queen of the Night".

In the picture I posted previously of the bloom you can see the big "Star of Bethlehem" well and the individual "angels" above the "manger", but the angle isn't best for seeing the "manger". I found one that shows the "manger" a little more clearly.

Next time yours blooms really pay attention to all the details within and you'll be surprised at how much you see!

Thumbnail by lovetopaint

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9392606

I am believing I will! Thank you much...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 21, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9392615

Now there is a photo that one would want to paint!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 23, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9394823

Thank you Betty. I remember you paint too! Hey if it inspires you - go for it. :-)

Ironically, something I have never painted is flowers. Well, not close up anyway, they are sometimes along a creek, or path, or wildflowers in a mountain meadow for me.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9394825

I just might do so!! It's a gorgeous photo..

Flowers are flowers, get those brushes /paints out and give it a try!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9394858

Awe,...Go ahead and do it Betty... You know you can! You too Debbie!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 24, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9396296

Betty and David,

Thanks for the encouragement. I would love to do that. If I weren't busy right now taking so many to so many apointments, I would. Today for example - I had to take DH to physical therapy and am leaving again in a couple minutes to take Dad to a doctor...I stay busy with the family's needs, which must come first. But I hope to get painting again soon.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 24, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9396313

Find something you can do while waiting at those appointments, some you time, something that doesn't take up much room in a handbag i.e. scratch art, sketching..

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9396362

Great idea Betty!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 26, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9398443

Thanks guys for the idea and suggestion. I often must go in with whomever I am taking for the appointment. Like my Dad, he doesn't hear well, and with Alzheimer's starting, he doesn't understand or remember. However, when Dave is in therapy I use that time to sometimes get groceries or on nice days I do my other "love" - photography. :-)

In fact, I posted to someone else about that very thing because she hasn't been able to get with her photography club. I also posted a few of my pictures that came about at medical centers with only a 20-30 minute time frame in which to work, while waiting for someone at an appointment. It's here and you can scroll down to Jan. 17th and see the pictures if you're interested.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1260808/#new

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9398457

Wishing and praying you well Debbie.

On a lighter side I, thought you might like to see some of my artwork too.

Art was my first thing in life, and gardening came second. Now I think the opposite is now the case!..

I do all kinds of art, and these are some of my actual recent favorites, albeit they are 2 years old...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand         

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2013
3:00 AM

Post #9398804

Hello again Debbie,

I forgot to say how much I really like your photography. You are excellent I especially liked the headlight and the ducks. Its easy to catch the wings moving like the one in the center with his wings spread with such clarity.

Great stuff!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 27, 2013
5:04 AM

Post #9398843

Got to say we truly have an artist amongst us. Lordy those 2 pieces are works of art. Sure hope you are using your talents in the commercial art world.

wow and double wow

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9398854

Thank you very much Betty.

I do private graphic art design. Don't advertise, and mainly get work word of mouth. It is fun to see what concepts a client can come up with, and turning that idea into art..
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 29, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9401282

David,

Thank you for the prayers and compliments of my art and photography. I must say your artwork is pretty awesome too! Both are great, but I especially love Captain Sea Cock. He's pretty cool. Like you, I love detail in my work. It always amazes me how some of the modern art is so wild you have no clue what it's supposed to be. I think I did that stuff in first grade with finger paints. LOL Ah well. that is why there is vanilla, chocolate and strawberry - to each his own.

Keep up the great work -awesome!

Debbie

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9401380

I've wondered where you were. Glad to hear all is going well! Thank you Debbie.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9420111

Debbie,

With your talents and flair for writing your thoughts,... I am surprised not to have heard from you on the 'Bloom of the Day' forum. You might like it!

Its fun to see the unusual and well done pictures and sometimes unusual plants Kin and those who do it find. Your responses might be fun for those whose pictures are picked since you are a photographer and come up with many interesting thoughts! Just a thought...

All the best your way,

David
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 16, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9420921

Well David,

First, thank you for your compliment. Until you mentioned it, I had never heard of "Bloom for a Day" forum.

I haven't been on here long. I was searching for "trash to treasure" ideas on the web. I found several great links, one of which was DG. I saw what a wealth of information there was and so on Sept. 5th when DH was having a double lumbar fusion and in surgery all day, I spent the time in the waiting room reading all the back posts on that forum. I also have been interested in some day tackling mosaic work, and so I read those as well. (Gotta get me a bowling ball or two LOL). Then I discovered, something else I need - encouragement to de-clutter my "stuff" (which I have been working on). These 3 forums are all I have been on.

As you may recall my time is very limited taking care of so many others and having my own health problems too. I doubt I would be into another forum, but I will try to check it out especially since it may be about photography. Does every one post pictures and then people can critique their work to help each other? Or is it just one person's work, or "finds" as you said, and everyone just says "nice picture", "I like that", or "I have that flower" type of thing? In other words is it a way of improving our work or just pictures people ooo and ahh about? Make sense? I don't mean to sound insensitive, just can't think of any other way to put what I mean?

Debbie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 16, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9420992

Start a thread in that forum with what you want and the remarks you're looking for . Bet you will get a lot of what you're looking for with people of like minds . Try it ,

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9421709

Diggers ideas are good Debbie.

I see your point. I also see new plants I might have never seen before there and I do garden a lot. The photos are usually high quality too...
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 17, 2013
4:02 PM

Post #9422318

I have some nice (I think) flower photos like these I attached, but that forum doesn't look like it is for photography at all. From what I read, it is controlled by 4 admin people who post the pictures and people talk about the plant, not the photography - hence the name of Bloom of the Day Forum. Duh, on me. LOL

Oh well...it would be nice if they had a photography forum (in the free part too) :-)

Hope you like these pics. My favorite is the last one. The orchids have little "faces" and I can hear them singing...yeah okay, I know I'm crazy, but hey, it keeps me from going insane.

Debbie

Thumbnail by lovetopaint   Thumbnail by lovetopaint   Thumbnail by lovetopaint   Thumbnail by lovetopaint   Thumbnail by lovetopaint

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9422411

These are excactly the kind of incredible photos that I would add to the 'Plant Files' pic's if I were you Debbie. Any one of these is a 'Bloom of the day' pic. You just shared 5 incredible blooms of the day yourself here today anyway.

Thank You.

I am insane. It is the only thing that keeps me from going crazy!

Keep up the good works and wishing you weller always...

David
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 18, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9422976

David,

You art too funny!

Ha! Me?? Add them to the "PlantFiles" Forum? First I had to go look and see where it was and then I read their requirements. You have to have a plant that is recognized by some horticulture society and it must be this and must be that. LOL

I don't have a garden so I have no clue what stuff is, much less what they want or don't want. To me they are just pretty flowers. Yeah I know the first one I posted is a Bird of Paradise, I think #2 is an Amaryllis (?sp) #3 maybe a Jack and the Pulpit? and the last two are some kind of orchids. Yep that's going to go over big with garden enthusiats that know this stuff. LOL No flower wisdom from me.

Heck everything fascinates me with photography as you saw with that headlight on the other forum. Most people wouldn't know that was a headlight until you told them so. Even if they have that type on their own car they never really LOOK at it, it's just a headlight. It's how something will photograph that catches my eye. I have pictures of rocks that to me, are cool, but most would just see a rock. :-)

Again thanks for the compliment but I'll pass when it comes to the the plant files thing. I don't want others to know my stupidity. Tee-hee Oh wait...it's not stupidity, it's because I'm crazy. But hey you said you're insane, so I'm in good company. LOL

Have a good one!

Debbie

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 18, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9423260

Love listening to your banter..fantastic eye catching photo's!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9423504

Weren't those photos great Betty! You just Banter your ownself in anywhere, anytime too! Always good to hear from you fellow artist, and hope you are able to start those flower beds soon!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 18, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9423540

David, it will be many a month before I'm able to get to those beds..really it's more finishing some walkways to enhance the flower beds already in p,ace..aiming for little room type areas (not asking for much now am I)?

Each year I add shrubs/trees so that eventually I'll achieve what I can see mentally...then come fall I cry at all the leaves I have to rake..aren't humans a strange breed? Lol
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9423545

Great photos!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9423716

I take all my leaves and pull them on to the driveway Betty. I then take my lawnmower and runover them a few times, blow them back together rapidly and run the lawnmower over them again. Huge piles disappear into just enough mulch to do a nice 2-3 inches for one bed. I have had a few folk say to me;... "Where did you get that nice looking mulch?" When I tell them what it is they say sometimes, "Thats all it is? I throw my leaves away. I like the red stuff from Lowes, I like the look and that is what everyone else uses"...(I'm thinking to myself, "Did they not just ask me where I got that nice looking mulch?)

I try to convince some who thought it looked great initially, that it also makes my soil richer every year when I till the old stuff in before adding the new...costs nothing, looks great, and forever renewable. Oy Vey! followed with a sigh.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 19, 2013
2:28 AM

Post #9423952

Lol, bought new self propelled lawnmower last year, decided to do mulching, wasn't smart, did not rake into the drive, hit a boulder under those leaves, believe I've bent a shaft..repairs a coming this spring. I've over 1/2 acre of trees/ gardens soooo I'd be able to provide an entire subdivision with mulch, shoulders gone so raking on the difficult side. Must say we gardeners are made of hard stock!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 20, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9425188

My yard is the same size and it amazes me how many leaves can turn into such small piles when all chopped up. I still got out to Dads and get more leaves even with my leaves! Some neighbors probably think "Whats is he doing with all those leaves?!!!" as they watch me toss their last bag (that they set on the side of the road on trash day) on the back of my truck...( I only collect the finest leaves from the cleanest yards,...HaHaHaHaHa)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 20, 2013
5:57 AM

Post #9425230

well I'll pack mine up and you can have them..lol
Maybe Canadian leaves will yield the best of soil.

You are making me homesick David for spring..blizzard going on here today..if the snowing and blowing stops maybe I'll go to the Garden Gallery and look at all the pretties.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 20, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9425532

Thank you Betty and Iris for your compliments. I'm glad you like the photos.

David, I like your leaf/mulch idea. It always strikes me funny with "white man's wisdom" that they work their butts off to bag the leaves, pay to have them hauled off and then buy fertilizer in the Spring. LOL I suppose they have never taken a walk in the woods and realized how rich the soil is there. Hmmmm...decomposing leaves that aren't raked up...what a concept! :-)

I never raked mine, probably much to the dismay of my neighbors, but then again, I don't have chemicals on my yard to leach into my well. For years now I have had a mulching mower and after grass cutting time, I wait until all the leaves have fallen and then "mow" the leaves in the yard. In the deeper parts I might have to make several passes, but it gets chooped small enough to compost the yard through the winter.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 20, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9425878

My family settled into Central Florida in the late 1700's Debbie. Amongst the numerous races from French, Greek, Jewish, Irish, and Timucuan Indian that I and my Family were derived from.

I think the reason we are still probably here is because of the Indian blood. My early French family were poling (pushing boats with poles) down the Halifax and St. Johns Rivers at a time Florida was loaded with Malaria, yet the Natives seemed immune. It's possible that helped!

I still have Family members who live on my ancestors land (my Grandparents Taft, and Carrie Lou's) which was deeded originally to the Family when Florida was still owned by Spain. We are still a family of fairly simple folk who love that place. My Aunt and Uncle still live in Grandma and Grandpa's old Cracker Cottage,...Albeit, It unfortunately has been altered and engulfed in years of bad renovation,...Sigh.

Betty, I have had a thought.

If you were to go out and find the largest Canadian leave you can find; dry and seal it with a spray preservative (Spray paint in white,green, fall colors; whatever your favorite color would work or clear; would seal it as a canvas) and then paint on it. It could be framed in a shadowbox frame... It could be fun!

Just thinking it could be fun on a dreary Blizzardy day!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 20, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9426013

Actually David somewhere I have some map,e leafs that I cured..now to find what corner they are in!

I'm French Canadian..your ancestry sounds very interesting.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America