Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Houseplants: Please I need help with my Peace Lily

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 10, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bayolet
mississauga
Canada

September 8, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9269186

Hi everyone!

Please take a look at my plant and tell me what it needs to be done. When I bought it the flowers were white and now they are white only when they are small. They turn green as they grow bigger but not big enough to be an old bloom, I mean even a few weeks before they were completely green all the time. How can I get them back to white? Also my plant is becoming very bushy with small leaves close to the roots. Oh! and when I bought it the flowers grew larger than most leaves and they could be perfectly seen, now they die small and green, it looks like my plant has no flowers :(

Can someone please help me? I am a beginner with no knowledge or experience about plants.

Thanks.

Thumbnail by Bayolet   Thumbnail by Bayolet   Thumbnail by Bayolet   Thumbnail by Bayolet
Click an image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9269721

As the flowers age, they turn green. Does that pot have a drain hole?
Bayolet
mississauga
Canada

September 9, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9269818

Thank you purpleinopp!

I have heard that the flowers turn green as they age but they don't really grow old, they stay short and small and then turn green. They used to be very long when I bought it, like you could see the mature flower standing out and you could admire them. Now the die really short and young.
No, the pot doesn't have a hole.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9269831

Your find, Purple - I hope no one steals your thunder. ;-)

Al
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9273185

I hope you have an interest in getting a pot with a hole in the bottom for your lovely plant. It really can't survive for extended periods without your being able to flush the soil by watering copiously so that water drains out of the hole in the bottom. The effects of this are what you are currently seeing in the decline of your plant. I hope you also have a few minutes to read the sticky at the top of this forum, about good growing practices, which will cover the kind of soil potted plants really like to grow in vs. what is sold in a bag of "potting soil." For a peace lily, I think this stuff is especially important since letting it dry out is not a good option. Peace lilies have a hard time recovering from wilt, which they do easily if not kept moist.

Sorry to leave you hanging for a few days. My computer's acting funny and wasting a lot of my forum time this week.
Bayolet
mississauga
Canada

September 22, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9283165

Hello Purple.

Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it tremendously. I love my plant, I don't want it to die. I didn't know the holes where so important, but again, I am a beginner, I have never had a plant before.

Thanks a lot!!
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9284172

You're welcome. Everyone has to start somewhere if they might develop an interest in plants. Awesome to find a new person at the entry level. Peace lily is a good starter plant as long as the owner doesn't want one they can ignore. PL needs a little more attention than that. Being in Canada, it might like a little more sun than most US growers would be used to giving it, but these do burn easily. How long have you had your PL? What direction does the window face that it's near?

It likes getting rained on once in a while, which will help keep the leaves shiny and clean also, as long as it doesn't get sunburned or too cold in the process. After it's had a few weeks to settle into a new pot/new soil, you may want to put a weak amount of fertilizer (half or less strength, according to the package directions of whatever kind you buy) in the water you give it once or twice per month. As long as the plant looks like it's growing well, gradually increase the strength until it is at the "house plant" level according to the directions, until it starts flowering well again. Then maintain that schedule. Never put more than the directions say, or fertilize a sick-looking plant until you know what's wrong with it, too much fertilizer can be toxic, not helpful.
Bayolet
mississauga
Canada

September 24, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9284847

I got the plant in May this year and it was beautiful with big long flowers. I fell in love with it and brought it home. I asked at the store how to maintain it and they said to keep it inside, not direct exposure to sun and water it once a week. So I have it in my living-room, right by the window but the curtains remain close where the plant is. I have to say my windows are wide glass panels with smaller sliding windows underneath for the air to circulate if I open them. The windows face South-East, so in the morning all the sun comes right in until about 3PM, that's another reason why I like to keep my curtains closed. It gets warm inside if I don't have AC on. But the sun doesn't touch the plant directly.
Also I changed the pot it came in for a bigger one because I thought the roots were too tight since it looked there was more roots than soil, so I got a bigger planter but i didn't know it had to have holes. Now it has 3 holes under, at the bottom of the pot.
The soil I got to put on the new pot was one that said it was good for indoor plants. I put some soil on the bottom of the pot, put the PL in it and filled the sides and the top with more of the soil. I must have done something wrong, other than getting a pot with no holes. I miss the big white flowers and my plant is really getting bushy. I like more flowers than leaves and I have managed to get exactly the opposite.
Well now it has a pot with holes. Hopefully I will start to see some improvement. You said I should put water until it comes out of the holes, right? Should I open the curtains or should I move it away from the window? Even when the curtains are closed the sun still hits there behind it.
If I can save this PL i will continue to get other kinds of plants. I already saw one that I like a lot but i want to make sure I can keep it beautiful or I better leave it at the shop.

Hope to hear from you soon and thanks for your help.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 25, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9286270

Bayolet, these plants flower best when the pot they are growing in is almost full of root and foliage.
When it looks as if it needs potted on into a larger pot is when the plant normally shows you it is happy, it gives you the lovely white flowers you had when you first took it home.

Because my plant (the same type as yours) are grown indoors all year round, I like to give mine a water only when the soil is dry, to test for dryness, stick your finger into the soil, if dry, give water, if still damp / wet, then don't water, just keep testing the soil every other day till you know the plants needs a bit better and we can only learn this as time goes by.

Because the plants are grown indoors it is also important to give the foliage a mist with tepid water say 2-3 times a week, but don't absolutely soak the plant, a largish plant like yours I would use one hand to gently lift up the foliage as you mist with the other hand, then a slight mist over the top, I keep the misting bottle (like you use in hairdressers) in the same room as the plant so the water is always at the same temp every time you mist.

Come winter time, when we have our heating turned up our indoor plants suffer from dehydration and the foliage dries out very quickly even though the soil can still feel moist so, make sure you don't have the plants too close to any heating OR drafts for that matter,
Positioned close to a window is fine but I avoid direct sun through glass directly onto the plants. and remember, ALL plants have a dormant time when they need a rest, nature tells them they have used up a lot of energy making new foliage and then flowering, they also use a real lot of energy to make seeds, again that's what nature intended them to do, but we can help save them some energy by dead heading the dying flowers by removing them before the plants begin to make seeds, once a plant starts to make several seed heads, it knows it's done it's work for that year and can stop making more flowers so we have to help it continue flowering by removing the spent flowers,

I also like to give my plant a half strength liquid plant feed (you get it from garden store for indoor plants) I do half strength to start in spring, then move up to full strength after a several weeks, I do this feed every 2 weeks in growing season starting March and stop around October time, this is when the plant slows down and stops growing as fast as it did in the spring / summer time.
Another tip I do is IF over winter time the foliage looks a bit dusty, I put the plant FOLIAGE under the shower in bathroom as plants, like humans like there pores kept clear or they get sick.
Hope all this helps you understand your plant a bit and you have many more years of enjoyment from it.
Good luck. WeeNel.
Bayolet
mississauga
Canada

September 25, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9286455

Thank you WeeNel. I will do my best to follow your advice. Hopefully my plant will have beautiful flowers again.
Bayolet
mississauga
Canada

September 26, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9286736

Hi!

The flowers that are already starting to dry or the ones that are still good but they are green and short. Can I cut them?
Is it ok if I also cut some leaves that are small and look weak or are too big or have yellowish colour on them??
How do I make the plant look less bushy and taller? Is cutting its leaves good?

I hope you can keep helping me.

Thanks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America