Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Pets: Let's Talk Ear Mites

Communities > Forums > Pets
bookmark
Forum: PetsReplies: 6, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9269653

A friend of a friend is in Stage 4 Breast Cancer and just adopted a kitten. The kitten has ear mites and isn't going to the Vet until it is spayed. (I know - not the best scenario - but there probably isn't much money and probably not much energy as she is having chemo every other week.) She asked me what to do about the kitten's ear mites and since getting a Rx from the Vet wasn't happening, I suggested first, NO SWABS in the ear canal!!!, two, a couple of drops of mineral oil in the ear and canal and then wipe with a cotton ball or gauze. IS there any over-the-counter treatment for mites that is safe for kittens? Anyone else have a better, safe treatment?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9269927

Call any vet and ask - they will help you decide which otc is best for a baby kitty - he is miserable, you can be assured of that!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #9273717

mineral oil is safe and often effective... there are ear mite medications over the counter, too. Best meds are available at the veterinary office, but most ear mite infestations should be lessened with either of the above treatments. Ear mites are pretty easy to get rid of, normally.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9273853

Thank you palmbob! We can always count on you.
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9314751

Ear mites will be killed if you use Avons Skin-so-soft origional scent on a cotton ball just enough to dampen the ball, may take several treatments but, it works. I have a 16 year old cat who is indoor only, but the mites got seated deeply in his ears at the vets. So after trying all of the stuff on the market and from the vet, I tried SOS worked great, plus he really smells great!!
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9323896

When I first got Simon, he had ear mites real bad. I used mineral oil, and when Mon. came around I called the vet, but she couldn't see him until Wed. of that week, and the mineral oil did the trick.
What I did is a little harsh, but I poured a little at a time, and let him shake, it stayed in his ears from Sat, till Wed., and the vet found dead ones, and second check-up, some two weeks later, she wasn't even able to find a leg, from one. Mike
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9324146

That isn't harsh at all! Glad to know that mineral oil works.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Does Anyone Show Dogs?? momcat 154 Jul 29, 2009 9:01 PM
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? gardenwife 20 Oct 2, 2009 7:10 PM
mourning DawnG 26 Jul 16, 2010 10:38 AM
Bertha got a hair cut!! MOLLYBEE 10 Aug 8, 2011 11:49 AM
Fritzie meets (& almost eats) Santa Claus Buttoneer 22 Sep 3, 2009 11:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America