Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Southwest Gardening: Who am I?

Communities > Forums > Southwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Southwest GardeningReplies: 103, Views: 899
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 9, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9269806

These cute little guys have been hanging out at the bird feeders. In the past years I see one once in a while. This year there appears to be quite a few. They are so cute and colorful.

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9269812

Fish_knees. WOW what a wonderful visitor. It looks to be in the finch family. Not that I know much about wild birds, but he/she is absolutely beautiful. Would you mind directing some of them over this way? :-)

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 9, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9269842

I'll tell them to visit Glendale :)
Might be a Warbler?
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9269850

Some quick research on the Internet and I've got them identified as Lesser Goldfinches, Spinus psaltria. See http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/lesser_goldfinch/id for more info.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9269861

that is a beauty Barb. Another website with great pictures of our local birds.
http://www.pbase.com/dadas115/birds_of_arizona
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

September 9, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9269928

Yes, Lesser goldfinch. They only will eat the nyger seed and once they find it, they tell their friends. They have a sweet song, similar to a canary, and their contact calls always make me think of glass wind chimes. I have a flock of about 15-20 that are pretty much every day, year round friends.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 9, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9270010

Oh good! I hope they tell their friends :)
I didn't put out bird feeders for the longest time because of the flying rats :(
Susie I think you were the one that said to get the nyjer seed. It's so fun watching them.
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9270166

I love the little Lessers! Their song always cheers me up.
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

September 12, 2012
12:04 AM

Post #9272754

Definitely a gold finch, they are very sweet little birds. they love thistle seeds too but watch out that you don't get a bunch of sparrows.
Mickey

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 12, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9272976

I have lots of Sparrows too, everyone is welcome except the flying rats.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9273459

Amazingly, I don't get any flying rats, even though a neighbor a few blocks over seems to get tons of them. Maybe that's why I don't get any, and if that's the case, I better hope they don't move or else they may come to my buffet.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9273585

Where do you get the nyjer seed? And, by flying rats, I think you mean pigeons? I dislike pigeons intensely.

Sue G
(CheerMom)

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 12, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9273627

Hi Sue!
I try to get it @ Walmart. Big bag is $20. Lowe's and Home Depot carry it also.
I'm going to have to get a second job at the rate these birds are sucking down the bird seed..lol
flying rats=pigeons :(
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9273899

I'm going through a 20 lb bag of Wagner's from HD @ $10 a bag each week, and that's with 3 feeder's. Now it looks like I need to get a 3rd for the nyger seed. Still, it's cheaper than my kids.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9274361

I saw some black thistle seed that looked like your seed at our WM (but our WM is really crummy LOL). I have a really nice feeder I would like to put out but can't figure out a place the rats wouldn't find it. They mostly stay in the backyard not the side or the front and I certainly don't want to tempt them to come out any further!!
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9274855

I was out enjoying the beautiful morning when I became aware of beautiful sounds. I looked around and in the top of the acacia tree sat a tiny little yellow birdy just singing his heart out. It was lovely, I just stood there grinning.

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9275421

I can't stand it any longer. How to I get these finches to find my house? I'm in the Far Northwest part of Phoenix and I don't believe I have ever seen any around here. I don't put out seed (yet) for the birds because I worry about small rodents making a home in the yard to scarf up the seed. Is that a problem for ya all that have bird feeders? I have 2 tropical birds in the house and once in a while will take out there left over seed and put it on the block wall for the birds. Seed goes everywhere, but it also helps to keep those wonderful Morning Doves cooing in the trees around the house. So, if I should decide to venture into the wild bird feeder relm, how do I get the finches to become part of the backyard family?

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 14, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9275443

I used to have bird feeders with the large seed - sunflower seeds/corn/millet. I had little field mice everywhere. I had to get a Havahart trap to get them when the cat caught them and brought them in. The worst was the pigeons though :( I haven't had feeders for years. I finally caved and bought the Nyjer seed like Birdlady Susie told me to do a long time ago (it's pricey) It was slow activity for a while, but now it's crazy out there! No mice and no pigeons show up either!
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9275493

I need to get a nyger feeder, but right now I use the standard wild bird seed with millet, corn, sunflower, etc. and anything that winds up on the ground gets eaten by the Inca doves, which prefer to eat on the ground anyway. I get 30-60 doves at a time, 4 different species and no pigeons.
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9275495

I think they started coming here for the thistle seed. I'm so glad they're here even if it's only for a while.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9275505

judyb, according to http://www.allaboutbirds.org the website of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, they should be year-round residents here in the Valley.
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9275798

They seem to desert me in hot weather, but are here, off and on, the rest of the year.

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9278831

I'm a bit confused here. Is Nyger/Nyjer a brand name for a seed feeder or is it a kind of seed that one would use in a feeder??? I have found thistle seed, but haven't found Nyger/Nyjer seed. Does one only put thistle seed in the feeder? Assuming I only want to attract the "finch" varieties.
If Nyger is a brand name for feeders, then I have founds many of them on line. Not sure which one is best for the birds though and is it best to have one with a seed tray at the bottom or does it matter? Any specific models suggested???
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9278882

Niger (and other spellings) is just another name for thistle seed. You can get a feeder specifically for thistle seed and finches. A good one is the sock-type. The sock is filled with seed and the birds cling to it to eat. If you use a regular feeder, usually the holes are big enough that other birds will steal your seed and the finches will have to do without.

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9278894

Thanks judyb. I just came across the sock-type feeder before returning here to see if there was a response yet. I'm rather liking the reviews etc of the sock-type. For the life of me, I don't see how the finches get to the seed through the sock, but they must some how. There aren't holes in the sock already, right??? Anyway, I think I am starting to understand a bit now. If I got the sock-type will there be thistle seed all over the ground/patio where I want to put it? If so, is it possible for the thistle seed to grow if left on the gound?
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9279120

We've never had thistle seed grow. We have had millet and sunflowers.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9279327

Millet grows with just the slightest hint of moisture.
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

September 18, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9279534

The thistle that is on the ground is actually the hull of the seed, which is a little piece inside the skinny black seed. Kinda like the heart of the sunflower is inside the hull. I used to think that they wasted a lot of seed, until I found out that they are eating that little heart of the thistle seed. So, I have had thistle sprout before, I think 3 plants over the years. I encouraged them and nutured them, as they put out thistle flowers and then dried to seeds, which the goldfinches snack on. Looking very cute while eating the seeds, I might add!
A seed sock works quite well and can be refilled. If you live in the east valley, there is a Wild Birds Unlimited at Gilbert and Baseline, while they can be pricey, their feeders and seeds are very high quality. I also have found thistle at the feed stores, like Mesa Feed Barn, on Broadway west of Mesa Dr, or Western Ranchman on 32nd St south of Bell or Pratts on Glendale west of 51 Ave. Give one close to you a call and check prices, it will be worth it!

Susie
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9279825

Found thistle, both in a sock and in a 5 lb bag @ WM for a reasonable price.

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9285016

Ok, Sock feeder full of thistle seed has been out now for 2 days as of Sept. 24. NO FINCHES YET :-( I have a one foot by one foot sign with a large arrow pointing to the feeder saying ------->>>>>Finch Feeder This Way ! For those of you that have finches, please tell them there is extra food over my way. :-)

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 24, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9285095

I just told mine to fly over to Glendale and follow the sign :)

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9285183

Thanks Fish, but I think you better brush up on your Finch. No one has shown up. lol Thanks just the same. By the way. Saw your post on your backyard and the shade tree. LOVE those ponds. Tried to see all the plants etc and many of them look like they would bake in ths new found sun. I hope that doesn't happen. Good Luck.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 24, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9285239

yeah turning over a new "leaf" lol
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9285316

My neighbor feeds the pigeons on his driveway, so I can't put out feeders because they swarm and then I find them in my pond. Sometimes I only find an explosion of feathers which means a pigeon has had a close encounter of the Jake kind... Every so often Jake brings me in what left of a pigeon he's been playing with...shudder...
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9285351

No goldfinches here yet, just house finches and house sparrows.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9286809

Still no goldfinches, but I the pair of Lovebirds was back last evening and this morning they brought another couple on a double date.

Thumbnail by frogymon

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9286867

Sept. 26 and still no finches visiting the feeder. I'm so bummed out. Not giving up, YET, but . . . lol
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

September 26, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9287009

It can take a while for them to come, patience is the key. If you get house finches, sooner or later the word spreads in the bird community and the goldfinches will show up.

Susie
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9287057

It took about a week for the house finches and house sparrows to realize there was something edible in the new bird feeder, but now they're really chowing down from sun up to sun down, so if there are a goldfinches within 2 miles of me, they should show up soon.
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9287813

I have the back window open, that's nearest the tree with the feeders. I don't see, but I hear the gold finches with their darling little songs! Love them!!!

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9290109

Well, they may not be Goldfinches, but I do have 2 (maybe finches) visiting the feeder now. Their little chests and a spot on the top of their heads are a real soft peach color. I'll keep hoping to see a Goldfinch, but for now, these are very welcome visitors too. Hopefully, I will get the two pictures loaded to this post. Anyone willing to declare these are definately finches???

Thumbnail by cactusjumper   Thumbnail by cactusjumper         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9290545

They're house finches and both males.

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9290903

Thanks frogymon. They may not be Goldfinches, but hey, their finches and it is a finch feeder. I guess I won't complain. lol

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 30, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9291524

It won't be long until you will have a lot of activity.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9301092

After being gone for two weeks and no one filling the feeders, I wonder how long it'll take the birds to return.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

October 10, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9301422

The "me too" part of me went out and bought a sock feeder. Not sure how much I will attract, but it is in the oak tree next to the humming bird feeder. I have spotted the yellow finches in this tree before. The finches like to drink out of the hummingbird feeder, so we will see if they find the sock feeder and visit more often.

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9302394

Just a follow up from Sept 30 post I made. I still only have the two house finches at my feeder and maybe that's a good thing. They sure can eat. I'm going to have to go get some more thistle soon. I'm guessing the mess under the feeder is from the seed covings that the finches don't eat. Perhaps I misplaced the feeder. Having it right over my patio might not have been the best choice. lol I maybe should have had it out in the yard somewhere so all the seed coverings would help fertilize the ground rather than the pavers.
All in all, I have enjoyed the feeder and the two finches. I'll keep it around for a while. :-)
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9316629

Finally got my 1st Lesser goldfinches today, a male around 1:00 and a female around 3:30. got a pic of the male, but not the female. Also had a Bronzed Cowbird that came around 3 times, but by the time I realized he wasn't a Brown-headed cowbird and had made a positve ID, he was gone and I didn't get a pic.

Thumbnail by frogymon

judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9316779

Cute little birdie! I just love those little guys.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9319273

I have 2 column feeders w/6 perches that I fill with regular wild bird seed; they hang over the frame for my garden shade, so the doves use the horizontal pole as a perch to get to the lower holes. I also have a large plastic pot base hung so the doves can get to seed w/o having to go to the ground. The nyger is in hexagonal feeder that slants inward so the larger birds can't access the seed; this has increased the number of sparrows and finches, as they don't get bullied out by the doves. So far I've had 15 species of birds, including 4 types of doves, 2 different finches, 2 species of cowbird and 1 species each of the others.

Thumbnail by frogymon

frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9338148

Got confirmation of a 5th type of dove at the feeders, an African-collared Dove. Also, I was just looking at the feeders, since I joined Project FeederWatch and Monday and Tuesday are my chosen bird count days, when all the birds took off in 2 waves, followed by a Cooper's Hawk in hot pursuit.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9345688

Am I the only one not getting any goldfinches at the nyger feeder? I had a few and then none in the last 2-3 weeks. I'm still getting lots of birds and had 10 species during last week's Project FeederWatch count and 11 this week, but no goldfinches.
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

November 30, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9346281

Still have my normal small flock of goldfinch at my feeder, little pigs! Sorry yours visited and then left. hhhmmm wonder what happened.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

November 30, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9346356

Sometimes I have 10 or more at once. Patience Grasshopper
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9346919

Maybe they don't like the company that gathers around my feeders; rough neighborhood, you know.
EileenAZ
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9346961

Finches are a little skittish, especially the goldfinches, at least that's been my observation. I didn't get any goldfinches for a long time.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

December 1, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9347172

Pigeon gangs?
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9347957

Fishie, not pigeons, doves, and they aren't the birds of peace their reputation says they are.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

December 15, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9358865

Okay, so after reading this post I bought a sock feeder. The first one I put in the oak tree so couldn't really see what birds where there. Then I bought a second one and put it under the ash. Yesterday I walked outside to see a whole gang of them. I was so excited.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2012 8:59 AM

Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers         

frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9358913

Lucky you, Val. I haven't seen any in over a month.
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

December 15, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9359036

With this weather, the feeders are pretty busy as the birds look for the fastest way to fuel up to survive.

Frogymon- have you checked to be sure the thistle hasn't gotten wet/spoiled? somehow one of my feeders, that I have used for years, had moldy nasty seed at the bottom. They wouldn't eat anywhere on the feeder. Had to chuck it all, clean it up with bleach, let it dry thoroughly, then refill. Now have lots of goldfinch and house finch on it again.

Susie
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9359123

Susie, I get plenty of house finches and house sparrows all day long at the feeder, but nary a goldfinch.
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

December 15, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9359306

Someday your goldfinch ship will fly in. (or something like that!)

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

December 15, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9359333

My Mom was over today, she looked out the window at the feeders and couldn't believe all the pretty little yellow birds. Lol.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9360464

I'm going to get a sock feeder and place in the front yard away from the others; maybe that will finally bring them in.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

December 17, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9360512

Frogy, mine is empty so I'll leave a map to your house by the empty feeder.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9362433

Val, someone must've read the map because I had a goldfinch visit this morning.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

December 19, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9362436

Yay!
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9362441

super awesome. can you tell them to visit my garden too :)
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

December 19, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9362590

Yippee! Once they find a food source, they usually return!
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9362731

In just 5 weeks of participating in Project FeederWatch, I've recorded 13 species at the feeders.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9364685

4 days in a row with at least one Lesser Goldfinch, so my patience has paid off, The difference seems to be adding a sock feeder.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9367639

Well, the Lesser Goldfinches are now regular visitors to the sock feeder and the House Finches are enjoying the one right outside my office window.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

December 26, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9367674

The flying rats showed up over the weekend...darn it! I went outside and there were 6 or 7 on the ground under the feeder. I guess the feeders will have to come down for a while. I can't handle the massive amounts of poo that the pigeons drop all over everything :(
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9367696

10 species in this week's Project FeederWatch count and nary a flying rat amongst them.

Thumbnail by frogymon

Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

December 26, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9367747

Great on the goldfinches- patience does pay off!

I love Inca Doves!! They are mainly migratory, so we get the big flocks in the winter. When we get orphans at Liberty, I am always amazed at how teeny tiny they are- small as a quarter!

Thumbnail by Birdlady_Susie

frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9367790

Susie, I get the Incas year-round.
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

December 28, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9368906

They are here year round, but there is a very large contingent that migrates. They are here in the summer, we get the babies at Liberty, but not in the numbers one gets in the winter. Kinda like the Canada Geese, most go north, but a whole bunch have decided that being permanent snowbirds is a fine idea. :)

I did a Christmas Bird Count yesterday, my group found 9 Incas, we were the only ones to find them in a circle that is 15 miles in diameter in the west west valley (Buckeye and beyond). I told them to come to my yard, there are always a couple dozen hanging out in the Oak tree.

Susie
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9368954

Susie, how many different species did you find and what was the overall count?
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9368955

Well, the goldfinches have definitely found Mr. B's, as there are a dozen or so on the sock feeder outside my office window as I type.
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

December 28, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9369445

We saw a total of 62 species, but I do not have the tally of the total number of birds. This was my 2nd count this year, I would do more, but they fall on the days I volunteer at Liberty. Every year they publish the Christmas Bird Count for all the counts done nationwide. Lots of numbers, but interesting to see the numbers and locations of so many different birds.

frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9369525

Wow! Let me know the next time a count is coming up and maybe I can find the time to participate.
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

December 29, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9369674

Still a few going on... http://www.azfo.org/CBC/cbc2010_2011.html
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9369694

Alas, work will preclude me from going on any of these.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

January 5, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9376361

New Supply. They must be getting use to me because they let me get closer this time.
The trees are dropping their leaves, so now I can see how many birds nests I have.

Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers      

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

January 5, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9376410

I thought this looked like a bird when I came upon it. Can you guess what it is?

Thumbnail by Valsflowers

Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

January 5, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9376535

Fig?
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
9:28 PM

Post #9376813

Not sure what that is, some kind of fruit was also my first guess, but it looks more like some flower broken off at the base (a rose??).

With regards to birds in the area, I had the pleasure, just after Christmas, of coming across this beauty in the Desert Botanical Garden. We had been given a head's up by one of the garden volunteers that this owl might be about, but it still took us a while to spot him/her. A Great Horned Owl, also saw a Western Screech Owl, which is much much smaller and since we saw it with binoculars it did not show up well in the pictures I took.

Saw plenty of interesting and cute birds that day, including quite a few roadrunners!

Thumbnail by mcvansoest

judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9377002

Cool owl!
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9377036

I once came upon 3 of them while hunting for quail.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

January 6, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9377081

mcvansoest you are right. It was a white rose. I thought it interesting that the base was yellow like a beak.
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9377323

Valsflowers, you are absolutely right that the rose looks a lot like a little bird. Especially from a little distance.

Regarding the owl, it was interesting how unperturbed it was, because after we saw it and started taking pictures another group of people came by and wanted to know what we were looking at, and it became quite loud quite quickly, the owl could not care less.

frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9381149

Had a new visitor today, a White-crowned Sparrow.

Thumbnail by frogymon

Crista
Gilbert, AZ

January 12, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9383223

Pretty, or should I say handsome, sparrow!
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9385086

I've seen a Northern Harrier hanging around the neighborhood for the past eek or so and my neighbor says she's seen a white owl in her pine tree several times recently at night. Hoping to get pics of both of them soon.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

January 14, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9385184

Looking forward to the pictures. BTW the last eek, is that a reference to the cold?
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
9:44 PM

Post #9385466

Should've been "week", not "eek", but it does seem appropriate given the recent cold snap.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9400171

Look who's been terrorizing my feeders lately; this was taken this morning about a 1/2 hour ago and he just cruised through the backyard again a few minutes ago.

Thumbnail by frogymon

judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9400419

Oh, so he flies over your way, too. ;-) He makes a lunch pass through our feeders pretty regularly.
2ndChance
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9406829

Couln't a girl make a sock feeder?
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9407488

Wild Birds Unlimited in Mesa has the best sock feeders; durable and the seeds don't fall out as readily as the one's I was using. They're only $6 and they hold a lot of seed.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9407742

thanks for that tip frogey. There's a BU store near Arrowhead, I'll check them out. Where do you folks buy big bags of seed?
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

February 4, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9407758

I go to Mesa Feed Barn for my seed, but then again I am also buying for my African Greys and finches. You may want to try Western Ranchman on 32nd St or Pratts out in Glendale. Otherwise I try to support WBU over here, the owners are super people and provide alot of support for the Desert Rivers Audubon Society.

Susie
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9407781

Susie, I haven't tried MFB, but will look into it. I get my nyger @ WBU and the regular seed @ WM.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Southwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugs are Bloomin SUNNYAZ 28 Nov 30, 2007 11:52 PM
Purple Hopseed Bush Judy81350 6 Jul 23, 2013 10:47 PM
Lady Bugs Desertdenial5 17 Jun 17, 2007 9:08 PM
Snail Vine KactusKathi 37 Sep 4, 2007 4:33 AM
My magnolia has flower buds. RODICAP 19 Feb 6, 2008 3:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America