Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Computer Talk: What computer program will help me do a drawing like this?

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 19, Views: 178
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9269814

The attached photo is from Tips for Designing Perennial Beds and Borders by Steven A. Frowine and The National Gardening Association (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/tips-for-designing-perennial-beds-and-borders.html). I am designing a new very large bed, and I have pre-purchased hundreds of plants for it already. I tried using a landscape program (Realtime Landscaping Plus 2012 Trial), but I found it hard to use (admittedly, I wasn't willing to give much time to learning it, but I plan to use it only once), and all I really need is to be able to place and move around plants on a grid, taking into account their mature width and height. (I'm not doing any hardscaping.) Ideally I'd like each disk to represent the plant's mature width, and for each plant to be labeled with its name and mature height, since I'd like tall plants in the back and short plants in the front.

Writing it on pencil on graph paper will be a nightmare, once I start rearranging. I'd prefer to do it on the computer, but I don't know what program to use.

Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by happy_macomb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 9, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9270161

As my grandson would say "I have NO idea"...but from the diagram, it will look really nice. Good luck.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9271351

LOL -- that's not my design! But I need to map out something. At this point, I think I'll just use pen and paper... I haven't found software that is easy enough to do what I need -- I don't want to learn to use something that is more sophisticated than I need...
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9271418

MS paint (once you build a shape you can simply copy and paste as many of them as you need) is included in every instance of windows.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9272095

Thanks, Dyson; that could be perfect. I'll look for a tutorial on-line. I've not used it before.

Found it! http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-vista/Using-Paint.

So I just draw out the shapes I want on some portion of the screen, and then copy-and-paste the shapes over to my working drawing?

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 2:34 PM
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9272144

Believe it or not I have used this program to do complicated electronics schematics. Once you have a "library" of drawn shapes in one file you can copy and paste them to your working drawing. The older versions of windows does seem to be more user friendly (though I have copies of newer I am still using XP).
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9273324

Dyson: That's what I can't figure out -- how to develop a library of drawn shapes. I also can't figure out how to make things a particular size -- for example, what if I want all lines to be 1" long, and all circles 1" in diameter (in relationship to markings on a graph). I don't know how to control for that. I can do it approximately, but can I force a particular size?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9273544

Take a look at Open office, which is now Libre Office. It has a suite of basic drawing tools and you have rulers along the edge to help size and position things. This is a drawing I made quickly. The blue shape is stock at two different sizes and copied so that they are all the same size. The aqua one is one I drew freehand and then copied.

I exported it as a PDF and then imported it into GIMP so that I could save it as a jpeg to attach here. None of that is necessary to use it for what you want. I assume Open Office has the same functions in windows as it does in Linux. It is a free download.

Thumbnail by Doug9345
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9273556

Open the paint program draw the shape that you want, draw the next shape., etc save file. When you need a shape open file secect (W/box tool) copy open working drawing paste.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9274126

Oh, ok; so nothing special? Just the way I might save paragraphs of text to a Word file and cut and paste from them as needed? I thought there was a special "library" I was supposed to save to.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9274179

Nope - You just build your own "paint" file copy from it to your working file.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9274201

I use Visio which is in the Microsoft Office package. It has a planting "shapes" tab with a variety of simplified shapes.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9274234

I don't see Visio in my Office package...

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9274244

I seem to have it in my MS Office 2007 edition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visio
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9274328

I have a copy of viso around here somewheres I'll have to check that out.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9274883

I don't see it in my version of Office 2010.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9274890

It may be part of the Office suite of products, but I think you have to have one of the high end expensive versions of Office to get it included. I've never had it in any version of Office that I've had either at home or at work so I don't think it's part of the standard package.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9275000

Thanks -- that makes sense. I probably could use a version of Visio on my computer at work (I'm guessing we have it there), but I don't need (or want) a program with a lot of options to learn, so I'll be fine with paint or the like (once I figure out how to use it).
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9275019

If you've "pre-purchased hundreds of plants" already, isn't it a BIT late to start the design process?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9275107

LOL! Well, I need to make sure the tall ones go in the back, and the short ones in the front, and that I leave enough space around the ones that will grow really large, etc. And I need to space them well enough that I don't run out of plants. It would have been easier to work the other direction, but I was grabbing at plant sales all summer because I knew this would be my big autumn project...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America