Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cacti and Succulents: Can anyone ID this?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 25, Views: 278
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 9, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9269993

Can't remember where I got it from, but its put out a couple of pups and I would like to know its name. Thanks

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 9, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9269995

rotated it

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9269999

Agave desmettiana variegata I'd say.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 9, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9270014

Thank you

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9273047

I just planted an agave that looks just like this.
It is Agave angustifolia 'Marginata'. It this is what you have it is an interesting plant.
It pups along the bloom spike! Check out the Dave's page:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57903/

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9273237

Agave angustifolia 'Marginata' has spines along the edges of the leaves. A. desmettiana variegata does not. As best as I could tell from GAgirl's pictures, it didn't have the spines. But I could have missed them.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

September 12, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9273276

Yes, that's one way to tell them apart. (Though most/many desmettianas do have some small and inoffensive spines, see 7 o'clock in the upright picture above.) The easiest way to tell them apart from a distance is by the shape of the plant. The angustifolias have straight leaves and form a very symmetrical open rosette while desmettianas have wavy leaves and a characteristic urn-like shape.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/200913/
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9273655

Hoping to further my education, I would have said Agave attenuata Albo-marginata
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/122750/
Can you elaborate on the differences with it? Kristi

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9273667

There are a lot of subtle differences in Agaves.
I was given the name of mine when I got them so I hope it's right. I do believe they do have super small spines along the leaves.
I'm really excited about the angustifolia because of the weird way it procreates.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9273716

Many agaves look alike to me, but the ones mentioned so far are pretty distinct. Agave angustifolia as mentioned, has horrifically sharp, black spines along the edges, not to mention straight, nearly flat leaves that end in a very sharp, nasty big black spine... so that one is obviously not this one... and Agave attenuata has very wide leaves that are soft and rubbery, no terminal spine whatsoever (though the spines in that photo above are conveniently missing from the edges of the photo) and the center of that species has a nice tear-drop-shaped confluence where the new leaves are about to unravel from... and lastly this plant in the photo has scalloped edges to the leaves forming a chute (deep curve in cross section), as well as at least one nice curve to the leaf, which neither Agave attenuata or angustifolia have. If you see the three species side by side you will be able to tell the difference... so below I include all three

Agave attenuata, Agave angustifolia and Agave desmetiana, all variegated.

Thumbnail by palmbob   Thumbnail by palmbob   Thumbnail by palmbob      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 13, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9273772

Thank you all for your help. Would it help you if I took more pictures...more closeups and a better one of its shape? I can definately say it is not angustifolia just by its shape compared to the above photos

I had these id before and they were ID as desmetiana...putting them side by side...are they the same?

To my untrained eye, the one on the right seems to have more yellow or lighter green, but that could be there growing environment. The ones on the left are at my house on the coast under a covered porch, but they get afternoon sun...the one on the right is at this house and it is also under a covered porch, but I don't think it gets any direct sun.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9273937

The plants on the left are certainly A. desmettiana.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9274006

I think what I have is angustifolia. The pups are only about 6" tall but they already producing lots of new leaves at the base of the plants.
Boy that attenuata is a lovely plant.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9274241

your plants are definitely Agave desmetiiana... don't get too wrapped in colors... those can vary a lot among species (I have seen these as non-variegated, dark green, as red in stress, pale in too much hot light and brown (dead).

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

September 13, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9274348

Like Palmbob says, sun affects the color. Here's one extreme. This plant gets mid-day sun year round (and insufficient watering by yours truly).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9274451

Here is my Agave desmetiiana. The first picture is three months ago when I purchased it from a local nursery. The last picture is from about a week ago on my basck porch where it gets morning sun.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus         

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 14, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9274723

Thank you all so much...I will now mark as solved and go label my plants.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9274731

There is a wealth of information here ~ thanks. I can definitely see the differences as described and truly appreciate the photos Palmbob submitted to compare the posture of each Agave.
This has also validated the ID on mine as A. attenuata. Thank you. Kristi

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9274984

Here are some Agave desmetiana shots I took (first is in my own garden) showing the different looks this plant can have. All are variegated forms, which are by far the most common forms in cultivation, except the middle one, which is the 'normal' non-variegated form in a botanical garden

Thumbnail by palmbob   Thumbnail by palmbob   Thumbnail by palmbob   Thumbnail by palmbob   Thumbnail by palmbob

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9275058

and last but certainly not least, is one of my favorite cultivars of this species, Joe Hoak. I have a lot of these around the garden (just started out with a few but this species offsets like mad).

Thumbnail by palmbob   Thumbnail by palmbob   Thumbnail by palmbob   Thumbnail by palmbob   Thumbnail by palmbob

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9275276

I love the Joe Hoak too. It has so many colors in the leaves, cream, yellow, blue, green ... Wow! Here's my A. desmettiana variegated. It gets no sun because it is on the north side next to my house. I had sunburned it numerous times until I moved it to the north side. In the closer picture you can see the sharp points on just the ends of the leaves--they only sharpness on the plant. I like that!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ         

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9275289

^ They will take full sun here, but should be in the ground and carefully acclimated. The biggest problem with A. desmettiana here is tenderness. A couple hours of 25F won't kill 'em, but may turn 'em so ugly, you won't want 'em anymore.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9275291

Yes, I had to move mine inside last winter. I was afraid covering it would not be enough. That's why I keep it in a pot.

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9275292

Here is mine, BTW. Two years ago, it was in a 1-gal container, much smaller than several of its current pups.

Thumbnail by GermanStar

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

September 14, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9275350

Loving the desmettiana parade!

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

September 14, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9275419

Check out the fierce spines on Mr. Tough Guy right here. Daylong sun (SW exposure) and infrequent water (goal is zero).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America