Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: Superfantastic neither super nor fantastic for me.

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 8, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9270001

Man is this tomato misnamed. There is nothing super about it and it is certainly not fantastic. This is my first year trying this variety and certainly my last as it is never coming back. Well, to be fair, it fought off the early blight fairly well and produced lots of fruit. But many would get rotten spots long before they were ripe enought to pick. So I figgure those don't really count though as they had to be thrown out. When I did get eatable fruit, it just has no flavor. Just pucked again today, had to toss nearly half because of the rotting and the rest that I picked was cracking heavily at the stem part. To be fair, we have had a lot of rain.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Click the image for an enlarged view.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9270002

Here is a picture of the stem type cracking. This was not happening earlier in the year and is not happening on my other tomatoes.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LooneyLinda
Mantua, UT
(Zone 4b)

September 26, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9286707

I have liked Super Fantastic other years, but it has not done well for me this year. I have had poor production and bland flavor. I might try one plant next year, but that's all.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9286741

Rita, I had most all of my tomatoes crack like yours- all varieties. I keep reading that erratic water causes it, but I don't agree. I have underground irrigation that comes on daily.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9286953

Well, it did not crack like that earlier in the year and we had plenty of rain. Oh, and other varieties are not doing that cracking, it is the only one. I only have one plant myself but next year will have none.

It is still producing but what good does that do when I don't even want to eat the tomatoes?
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9287094

Hi everyone. My Better Boys cracked so badly I just threw them out because there was no way they could be edible. I had a bit of cracking with the Japanese black trifle but they ended up doing really well and the gold medals were great except for the one the dumb squirrels kept attacking! Caught two of those rascals eating what was left of my cherries and the JBT's!! Oh we'll, guess they're getting ready for winter!
Sharon
Ps apparently they also like eggplant because I found pieces all over the place and the eggplant completely gone. Glad I'm not a big fan!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

September 26, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9287104

The splitting that you see at the stem end is called radial splitting. Normally the splits are smaller and scar over but with lots of rain they can reopen and look like what you show. Often just normal bacteria and fungi in the air can invade those splits and initiate a rotting process.

Not all varieties, actually far from it, show radial or concentric splitting and there is a genetic predipostion for specific varieties to show it or not.

Carolyn

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9287150

I don't like it but since those Superfantastic did not split earlier in the year, the cracking is not the reason it is not coming back. It is the flavor. Or rather the compleate lack of flavor.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9288073

I did just pick three more of them today.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America