-
AuthorContent
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9270619

I've grown yellow and blue field corn in the past to make our own corn bread and to feed our chickens.
This year we have Cherokee White and Blue Clarage. I was wondering if any of you have other recipe uses other than corn bread?

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9592188

Here are a few recipe ideas.

CORN DUMPLINGS

2 cups fine cornmeal
1 tsp dried mint leaves, crushed
1 cup nut milk or milk
2 tbsp nut or corn oil

Blend all ingredients together into a soft dough. Drop the dumplings by spoonfuls into stew or broth. Cover and cook 15 minutes.

----------------------------------------------------

CORN PONE

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup nut milk, milk or water
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp bacon drippings, butter or corn oil

Mix the cornmeal, nut milk (milk or water) and baking powder together thoroughly. Grease a hot skillet with bacon drippings (butter or oil). Drop batter into skillet by tablespoons, shapping into 6 pone cakes. Brown for 10 minutes on each side. Serve hot. You can sweeten the cakes by adding fresh or dried fruit and berries.

----------------------------------------------------

GRUEL

3½ cups water
1¼ cups cornmeal
1½ tsp maple syrup
Maple sugar
Berries
Cream

Boil the water, then add the cornmeal and maple syrup, mixing well. Heat slowly, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until smooth and thick. Serve in bowls, topped with maple sugar, berries and cream.

--------------------------------------------------------------

INDIAN DESSERT PUDDING

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups cold water
1/4 cup nut butter or butter
1 cup blackberry, blueberry and/or raspberry juice
2 cups berries
1 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup cream
3/4 cup maple syrup
3 eggs, lightly beaten

Soak cornmeal in the water. Melt the butter in a large pot, add cornmeal mixture, and slowly heat, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Add berry juice, berries, and nutmeg; blending thoroughly. Remove from heat, add eggs and stir until the mixture stops bubbling. serve either hot or cold.

------------------------------------------------------

WILD STRAWBERRY BREAD

1 cup fine cornmeal
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup Cattail((Typha latifolia)) pollen
1 cup nut milk or water
2 tbsp nut oil
1egg, beaten
1/2 cup Strawberry leaves, finely cut
1 tsp coltsfoot(Tussilago farfara) ashes
1 cup Wild Strawberries(Fragaria vesca)

Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine the cornmeal, flour and cattail pollen in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together nut milk or water, nut oil, egg, strawberry leaves and coltsfoot ashes. add to cornmeal mixture and blend well. Fold in the strawberries and turn the batter into a well-greased 4x8" loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------

SHRIMP & SCALLOP PIE

80 raw Wild Shrimp
30 Nantucket Bay Scallops
1 tsp fresh Cilantro, chopped
1 cup water
2 cups fine Cornmeal
4 ripe Tomatoes, chopped
3/4 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
1 tbsp Walnut oil (or Almond)
1/8 tsp tarragon leaves, crumbled
1/8 tsp sage leaves, crushed
3 cloves Wild Garlic or 1 clove regular, chopped
1 tsp sea salt
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients and blend well. Place in a greased baking dish and bake for 40 minutes. Serve either hot or cold with herbed wild rice and tomatoes sprinkled with chopped cilantro. Also serve with Seaweeds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

BAKED STUFFED BLUEFISH
4 lb bluefish, split and cleaned
2 tbsp nut oil
Black mustard seeds, ground
Your choice of herbs
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 cup shucked oysters and liquor
1 cup shelled chestnuts, chopped
1 wild onion (or small onion), chopped
1 ramp (or leek), chopped
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup cider
¼ tsp Filé powder (dried, powdered sassafras leaves)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Wipe the clean fish inside and out with the oil. Season with ground mustard and herbs.
3. Mix the mushrooms, oysters, chestnuts, wild onion, ramps, maple syrup and cornmeal together and stuff into cavity.
4. Lay oiled, stuffed and seasoned fish on a large sheet of aluminum foil in a roasting pan. Fold and wrap the foil tightly around the fish, cut a vent, in the top, for steam to escape. Bake for 1 hour, basting several times through the vent hole with cider
5. Remove from oven. Cut open aluminum foil and sprinkle with Filé powder.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk,
WaûtuckquesSóchepo
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Ahque Wunantash: Paskoogan / Pio nabo nequt / Nees muttanonganog kah nequt (Do Not Thou Forget: 9/11/2001)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2013
4:08 AM

Post #9611265

Wow Maccionoadha, you certainly have made me hungry!! :)

When I make a Mexican meal, I like to compliment it with rice, but instead of using water to cook the rice, I like to use a combination of broth, salsa, and corn. I wizz my corn through the food processor to get it to a .. a rather 'creamed corn' consistency, if you will. I don't measure anything, per se, just as long as the total "liquid" is about 1/3 cup total MORE than what the directions call for. With the addition of whatever spices I'm in the mood for that day, it sure makes a lovely rice dish!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9639078

One of my DG friends up near DC makes blue corn meal pancakes and raves about them. I bought some blue corn meal and have it in the freezer and will make some when the weather turns cold.

Anson Mills has lots of recipes on their website for various corn meal uses.
Ronny121
Alabama, NY

November 9, 2013
2:14 AM

Post #9705134

Grilled Corn Salad

Ingredients

6 ears freshly shucked corn
1 green pepper, diced
2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, or more to taste
2 teaspoons olive oil, or to taste
salt and ground black pepper to taste

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2013
4:07 AM

Post #9710760

Late to the party as usual... Darius, can you please explain why you keep your corn meal in the freezer? (clearly there is something I need to learn here!)

Thank you. =)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9710821

I keep mine in the freezer, too. I think it turns rancid otherwise.

You can also make polenta, which is a great side dish with Italian meats like sausage or braciole.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9710895

Freshly ground grains contain volatile oils so I keep them all in the freezer to preserve freshness.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2013
3:44 AM

Post #9711498

Should store-bought bagged ground grains like that be treated the same way, or is it more crucial just for the freshly ground grains?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9711591

I freeze ALL my grains. Store-bought grains are not as fresh of course, but still contain oils. Plus, freezing keeps the bugs out.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2013
2:45 AM

Post #9712205

Very helpful info, thank you so much! Into the freezer the corn meal shall go! =)
bluetexasbonnie
Geronimo, TX

December 18, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9730094

I make an oven baked "chicken nuggets" by rolling the cut up chicken in corn meal, salt & pepper.

(Optional additional seasonings: ranch dressing mix, paprika, tumeric, poultry seasoning, curry, cajun spice, etc., etc., etc.)

Bake at 375 until done. (Usually 15-25 minutes, depends on how small the pieces are.)

These nuggets are great straight out of the oven, but my family sees them most often at picnics. They are good cold -- especially when you spice them up some. If the picnic gets rained out, I freeze them and reheat (400 F in foiled covered pan for 15 minutes) for a quick meal.

IMO, these need spicing up for routine adult fare. My grown children love the ranch flavor. I like the tumeric/paprika/curry mix. My toddler grandchildren prefer it "plain".

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2013
3:24 AM

Post #9730498

That sounds really yummy and easy Bluetexas, thank you for sharing that! One thing I've often used for a nice coating on chicken is a combination of crushed Cap'N Crunch and Frosted Flakes (just about 1/4 cup of each) combined with plain cracker crumbs, then a generous shaking or 3 of Cajun seasoning blend. The spicy-sweet combo is really tasty.

Should you ever find you've run out of ranch dressing mix, give this a try:

1/4 tsp dried parsley flakes (crushed/bruised)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp Accent
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
pinch dried thyme (crushed/bruised)

When that spice combination is mixed with 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup of buttermilk, it makes 1 cup of ranch dressing; however, the spice combo alone is a great substitute for when you run out of store-bought ranch dressing mix.
bluetexasbonnie
Geronimo, TX

December 19, 2013
3:52 AM

Post #9730513

Nice. Thank you Speedie for the ranch recipe.

The Cap'N Crunch accented coating sounds a bit weird, but when I think about all of the other sweet-savory-spicy things I like, it begins to sound intriguing. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time there is just a bit of sugary cereal left after the grandkids go home.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9730539

I thought it was weird at first too. But, one night DH and I had gone out ... I forget where... Hardrock Cafe maybe? Anyway, they had these delectable chicken fingers, so I did some research on the recipe for the coating, and lo' and behold, that was the secret! Really weird combo, but oh so delicious!

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2014
4:09 PM

Post #9847268

Corn Casserole

15oz. can whole kernal corn, drained
15oz. can cream corn
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup melted butter
8oz. box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish and set aside. Mix all ingredients together and pour into baking dish. Bake 45-50 minutes or until set in the middle.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America