Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: Are you planting bulbs yet?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 28, Views: 265
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9270851

There are a total of 40 votes:

Yes, I'm planting spring blooming bulbs. (what kinds?)
(9 votes, 22%)
Red dot

No, my climate is too warm for bulbs.
(7 votes, 17%)
Red dot

No, I do not plant bulbs.
(7 votes, 17%)
Red dot

I've never planted bulbs before, but want to try.
(2 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Yes, I'm adding to my collection and can't wait to see them bloom.
(14 votes, 35%)
Red dot

I'm south of the Equator and it is spring right now!
(1 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9270898

I bought two boxes of caladium bulbs from Sam's Club, and never got around to planting them. By the time I retrieved them, most were mush. I squeezed for the hard ones, and, having no place ready and nothing to lose, I stuck them into a huge cup planter sitting on my patio table.

I have never enjoyed caladiums so much!

These are the white ones with green stripes. I only planted a few bulbs, but the flowers seem to have multiplied, cause I was never without a beautiful scene out my den window! I seriously want to do them again next spring, more of them, and in more locations. They seemed to do much better under the shade of the patio cover than out in full sun, though. The leaves were always deeply colored, and not faded.

I'd like to put them around one of my oak trees on the front lawn, as well as in a flowerbed under the front window. There are some youpon holly hedges in the bed, and the caladiums could go beneath them, perhaps?

Any comments on when and where to place them would be helpful, and much appreciated. My house faces EAST.

Thanks!

Linda
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9271222

Gymgirl, I bet you could plant them. I know they aren't very cold hardy, but I'm 90% sure they should be hardy where you are. They are gorgeous, aren't they? A lot of bang for a little bulb!
I have so many bulbs, from voodoo lilies, to daffodils to others, I ahve no more ROOM! Although I do wish I could squeeze in more.
Barb

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9271452

I'm not going to plant any this year,my tulips and hyacinths are enough for now.Although I will always be back for more later,always.lol
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9271996

I will be attending a Narcissus/Daffodil class at our extension agency this month, and will be receiving several varieties to plant. Going to have to dig another garden!
daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

September 11, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9272035

I will be planting just 15 Darwin tulips they are all the same and will blend with the others I already have planted in clumps of three to five bulbs. They are all in the red shades some have yellow edges while others are solid red I get a lot of compliments on them. Picked them up at Menards for a very resonable price.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 11:44 AM

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9272159

Gymgirl...here's my east facing front porch...I'll never be without caladiums and coleus there, even though they're not frost hardy for me.

Thumbnail by melody   Thumbnail by melody   Thumbnail by melody      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9272164

"Now, THAT'S what 'ahm talkin' bout!"

Mel,
Your last pic: Sacred Heart Caladiums? Angel Wing Begonia? and, the green ones are exactly like the ones I enjoyed on my patio all summer!

Do you take the bulbs in for the winter and repot in the spring? Or fresh each season?

How about the coleus? Do you take winter cuttings for propagation?

Linda

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9272192

This is the begonia: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/195380/
The white caladiums are 'Candidum' and the colored ones something else that I can't remember.
I sometimes save the caladiums, but not always...I've found that they're not as big after a few years up here since I have to keep them in pots. I mostly treat them as annuals...the coleus too...they're both cheap and give a huge bang for your buck.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

September 11, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9272727

Yes, I plant spring flowering bulbs.
Daffodils, the plain yellow ones.
Tulips, mainly the multiflowering kind, plus others.
Alliums, Purple Sensation, small white ones, and allium moly, the yellow flowering one.
Foxtail Lily roots and a few Irises.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2012
2:54 AM

Post #9272793

Not planting bulbs this fall. Will dig a few up to give a friend since i already have quite a few.
Vickie
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9272810

I plan to dig in some more daffs to naturalize in my outer reaches. I live at the edge of the Skagit Valley and am fortunate to enjoy the gorgeous tulip fields on my way to the nursery, so I don't mess with them in my own yard (not too fond of the end foliage and the field mice love the bulbs).

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9272825

I wanted the Billy Graham daffodil but they are too expensive for my blood. I will check out Lowe's soon. I gave up on tulips; the squirrels just can't be stopped. I may try some caladiums at the museum next spring but not at my house. I live 1,000 feet higher than town and they just don't do well here.
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9273079

What about "I already have so many bulbs that I can't fit any more in my garden"?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9273260

These 2 answers are too similiar to pick one.
Yes, I'm planting spring blooming bulbs. (what kinds?) Yes, I'm adding to my collection and can't wait to see them bloom.

they question are you planting any bulbs "yet"...NO not yet it's not cool enough here, usually Oct into Nov I do bulb planting so
YES I am adding to my collection of spring blooming bulbs, more tulips and daffs and reticulated iris

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9273433

i'm in 9a and my Caladiums are planted underneath the Redcedars and in large clay pots under my overhangs. (no water in winter that way) they've survived 17 degrees for several weeks and downright all winter long cold many times. they come back better and better every year.
gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9273817

I am awaiting the white flower farm's daffodil collection The Works. I also have left over daffodils from my founder's day table. My son enlarged several garden beds this past summer and dug a few new ones. I had intended to revitalize my existing daffs but these new beds are spectacular and called out for masses of Daffodils. Went with WFF because my membership with Mass Hort society included a 25 dollar gift certificate. I also will be putting in many hyacinth and crocus as well.
Martha
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9274356

the only bulb planting i will be doing is to move some crowded elephant ears. the leaves are coming small now, so i want to replant them before the rains taper off for the dry season. have fun planting those Spring-time beauties, i miss them!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 14, 2012
2:29 AM

Post #9274702

Ha Ha! its spring here now, and absolutely beautiful!!!- Still many lilium bulbs to pot-up and add to my 'crazy noahs ark lilium menagerie'.,Its almost the best time of the year!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9275195

Like many here ,waiting for winter? Fall is a nice time of year with rain ,Mums in bloom ,Hibiscus ,Morning glory vines.Dry season has passed it seems and somewhat soggy cool weather for fall is here, and one begins to hope for best with another season ending and another spring then awaited with anticipation (sigh).
You can almost hear the music playing with the photo film, with the spring bulbs beginning to flower,and watching the live time lapse photography .

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9275212

all bulbs I have ever planted have long since been dug up by squirrels and probably eaten
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9277402

It's a late spring here as the weather was so cold many plants have been set back
but that's fine
Im doing Hippeastrum
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 17, 2012
3:07 AM

Post #9277432

Still waiting on a few 'American' import lilium bulbs to arrive this week, - then, thats it til' June

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9279673

I have had squirrels dig up tulips and eat them, but not the other bulbs. Although, come to think of it, my lily bulbs never made it and then one come up surprisingly this year.
I wonder if the squirrels also eat hyacinths? Anyone had experience with that?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9280017

I know they will ,chipmunks and voles ate most of my Hyacinths last year! Thank heavens the bulbs still have tiny bulbs that the critters miss while they are chewing through that bloom the the same in time.
gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9280159

My White Flower Farm daffodils have arrived. I am getting out my bulb auger attachment and the electric drill. Let the planting begin.
Martha

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9280228

I bought some red hyacinth bulbs today. I hope the squirrels don't go after them like they do tulips.
gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9282793

Today is the day!
Martha
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9283974

woodspirit, those crazy squirrels! hyacinths are supposed to be poisonous. have you tried mixing in daffodils? that was the only way i ever kept them away.

have fun Martha :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America