Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Trash to Treasure: Recycle at it's best...make an island!

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 4, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 10, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9271203

Yup...can you believe it? You have to check it out.

"Just came across this and I must say it has made my mind try to consider all kinds of possibilities on a grander scale then what this fellow has done, which in itself is quite remarkable.

We all know plastic bottles are a huge trash problem. Imagine maybe creating whole new communities. Im sure you members could dream up many more things that could be done. Maybe we ourselves wont get to do it, but if anything, it makes for a cool dream...Just how many ideas can we come up with? Will be interesting to see.

Enjoy watching the small island home this man has created from mere plastic bottles. "

Video link -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bR_QCQMn7MI

Original post found here - http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread876704/pg1

Edited because I just thought of the island's name...you knew it was coming... "Treasure Island" LOL

This message was edited Sep 10, 2012 5:43 PM

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 10, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9271289

That is so amazing! I never could imagine any man could accomplish so much with plastic bottles. His surely made his dream come true.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
2:41 AM

Post #9271644

Amazing, had to share this one on facebook, thanks for the link!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9271733

Very cool!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 11, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9271802

I once made a chandelier for our outdoor deck out of 1-liter plastic water bottles I collected in a nearby park. It was slightly reminescent of Fanthom of the Opera. I looked for pictures of it. I guess I threw them out with thousands of others pictures when we downsized and moved to Florida. I remember it used 37 identical plastic water bottles, had 7 levels and was lit by tea light candles bought by the bagful at the dollar store. Those little candles burned for 5 or 6 hours. You needed a long-nose BBQ lighter to get to them.

It was impervious to wind and I took it down during the winter so water, snow and ice wouldn't destroy the bottles. It lasted 3 summers before the bottles began looking shabby and were recycled. The bottles were held together with zip ties. It hung from the rafter beam by means of 40-lb test fishing line going through a pulley so it could be lowered to replace or light the candles. People looked at it and asked me what kind of stuff I was on when I made that. It was beautiful.

Oh, and about that guy that built an island out of water bottles... don't kid yourselves. The government wants to recognize it as Mexican soil because foreigners can't own land in Mexico. This has nothing to do with tourism. They want to take it away from him, or make him pay rent on the island he built by his own hands.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America