Photo by Melody

Native Plants and Wild Plants: Native plants. NW'st quadrant of Himalayas.

Communities > Forums > Native Plants and Wild Plants
bookmark
Forum: Native Plants and Wild PlantsReplies: 72, Views: 456
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9271998

Hello folks, in this thread i will try to show you some native plants growing at the foothills of the Himalayas. Some, i will try to give you the correct botanical names current or before Durban conference on Botanical Nomenclature of 1880's, i don't know. Some, you will have to find out the names yourself. You may also find some wild ancestors of the current day garden plants. I hope you enjoy and see the flora of a different place.
All five are Daturas while the fourth pic has a wild Ficus (fig). These Daturas have no fragrance, evil smell given wide berth by both humans and animals. Toxic.

Regards.

Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud
Click an image for an enlarged view.

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9272012

I am sorry, don't know the names. First one people eat as saag (a veg dish). Fourth one does remind me of some vegetable, flower and all but, i don't know. The fifth is again a unknown but i place it in the Euphorbia family. Ok! Now those Daturas and this Euphorbia are host to particular species of butterfly caterpillar. These caterpillars eat these toxic plants, the toxin level in their system is so high, that the birds leave them alone.
Regards.

Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9272019

Now i will show you the topography of the area and forests of Acacia Modesta.

Regards.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9273786

KAMasud - If you are wanting these plants to be identified, you would have a larger viewing and much better chance of success if you posted on the Plant Identification Forum.
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9275657

Sorry, no. Those a strands of Acacia Modesta, Black Sally, Phulai. Enter one into search and you will also note the other names.
Before that i posted two wild Himalayan Daturas and some Euphorbia. Toxic, host to certain species of butterflies which in turn become toxic and birds leave them alone.:)
Today. Apocynum Cannabinum (Indian Hemp) and no, its not Cannabis Indica.
Next one reminds me of a garden plant (early 60's) reverted back and now invasive.
After that?????
As to higher pixel content of the pics, agreed. I will shift to higher higher mega pixels in future.
Regards.

Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud      

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9276490

Hello every one. Today a few more photographs of the local flora. But first, as i have recently joined DG so i was not in the habit of carrying a camera. A mobile phone camera suited me fine for record keeping. Any way as i have now started to carry one when i go out exploring. Today was a overcast day, i am not quite satisfied with the results, lets see.

Acacia nilotica subsp. indica

One of the reasons i went out on a rainy day was to catch it in bloom. They bloom this time of the year when it rains. If the rains are heavy, they bloom in perfusion and the entire area is covered in their perfume.

The fourth and fifth snaps, on the left is Nilotica but on the right? As you can see its growth is straight up and not bushy. I have been trying to track it down for quite a few years but failed so far.

Now to see if subspecies Indica is listed in the data base and fill in the details.

Regards.

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9276515

Ficus benghalensis. Banyan tree. Bodhi tree.
These two cover an acre.
Next is a wild vine that i posted before, now in fruit. Looks like a melon but the diameter is one and a half inches only.
Third is again a NOID. These are NOID wild flora and i suppose it belongs to this thread only. On the NOID thread i only see garden variety, so i suppose the experts are here.
Regards.

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9276530

Ficus religiosa. Peepal. The Sacred Fig species of banyan fig, i dont know why the locals call this Peepal and the other one Bodhi tree.

Last two are Dalbergia sissoo. Sheesham. Talli. Indian Rosewood. One is a living immature tree, the other is a dried out carcass just to show you the size it can reach. Its wood is highly valued so its difficult to find mature living ones. For size comparison you can see the cow and the goats under it.
Regards.

JaneJabbour
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9278018

Interesting to travel via these exotic plants. Thanks.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9278211

Yes, thanks for the tour.
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9281542

Most welcome, some day i will go to the upper valleys in search of ferns. First i will try to give a wide angle shot of the general area in order to fix the niche system then i will zero in on the subject i want to show. The mountains and valleys are beautiful and you may get to travel further afield with me.
Until then enjoy some colour.
Cheers and Regards.

cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

September 24, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9285624

Wow what beautiful plant pics from your country! Here is a pic of one of my favorite spring flowering trees that is native to my area. It is Halasia diptera the snowbell tree.

Thumbnail by cowpea123
Click the image for an enlarged view.

back40bean
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9285971

KAMasud, thanks so much for the pics. I spent some months in Pakistan but it's been 35 years. I was mostly farther south but made a trip up NE of Rawalpindi and found the scenery spacticular. What a treat to roam around again with your pics. Thanks
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9288656

Thank you very much. back40bean some pics for you and for ID purposes. Wild flora, remember.
Best Regards.

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9288665

These are ferns growing at a altitude of 6500 feet plus.
Regards.

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9288714

Some more ferns to keeps the ferns enthusiast happy.
Regards.

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9288715

Before we go further with ferns, how about some colour? Except for the Morning Glory tree whose flowers are twice the size of domestic the rest are half the size.

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9288728

Now for view meet Cedrus deodar. I wont go into the details like growth altitude, height, uses, etc because i do not think any one would be fascinated. Cheers.
Regards.

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9333546

Not native but definitely wild.
Regards,
Masud.

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9333555

Sorry above Mirabilis jalapa. Now Salvia aegyptiaca and another.
Regards,
Masud.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9333614

KAMasud - Your on-going botanical tour is much appreciated. Thanks
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9334260

Most welcome Greenthumb99.
Clematis vitalba in the wild with terrain.
Regards,
Masud.

Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9338783

#1&2. Ziziphus nummularia.
#3&4. Melia azadarach.
#5. Ziziphus zizyphus.
Regards,
Masud.

cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

November 21, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9338923

Is ziziphus nummularia edible?
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9338929

Yes and delicious.
Regards,
Masud.
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9340469

Enjoying your pics.
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

November 23, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9340617

Have you seen any native pines on you tour?
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9341619

Cedrus deodar, Chir pine.

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9341781

Pinus wallichiana.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9383912

I am enjoying this images from afar, as well.

KAMasud:

Do you know what species of pine (dense tight foliage - quite unlike the Pinus wallichiana) is illustrated in each of these posts you previously made?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9288656
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9334260&extraimg=2

Thanks, in advance...
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9386832

Pinus roxburghii.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pinus+roxburghii&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=u6b2UNCtKsnasgbP6oCgDQ&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=938
Regards,
Arif.
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9386838

Sorry, I forgot to post this Pine.
Regards,
Masud.

cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

March 30, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9466700

Do any Rhododendrons grow in your area?
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9503772

Yes Rhododendrons grow in the Himalayas plus a lot of other things. Stopped visiting this thread because it was a bit difficult talking into a void.
Regards,
Arif.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9503937

KAMasud - there is more activity now, please keep participating.
back40bean
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9504128

And there are those of us who put a word in only occasionally. Still, I regularly watch this forum and this thread.
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9507718

Capparis decidua.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9507841

Nice shots.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9508291

Really interesting flowers, thanks.
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9508314

Thank You so much for sharing your pictures with everybody! I'm new to DG and I just found this thread. It has been great to see your native plants and trees. Thank You again!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9508499

The Cedrus deodar is a popular ornamental here!

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

May 4, 2013
11:55 PM

Post #9508584

Great photos... do you use the capers in cooking?
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9511520

Capers in cooking? I do not know what capers are. If you are talking about Capparis decidua, I do not think so. Let me find out.
Thank you every one. Ok! Let me try to start it up again.
Buttercups flowering their heads off.
Regards,
Arif.

taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2013
5:16 AM

Post #9511523

How Beautiful! Thank You!
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9511526

Some thing for the Saivia lovers. Salvia sclarea. clary sage. These are in the wild.
Regards,
Arif

Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9511530

Most welcome.
Regards,
Arif.
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2013
6:04 AM

Post #9511578

Thank You! I love Salvia. Love the pretty light blue color. Thank You for sharing the beauty.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9511607

It is an escapee from cultivation then? Or?
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
8:48 PM

Post #9512670

Welcome to Salvia lovers. No it is not an escapee but wild. It is a native plant as are the following.
Regards,
Arif.

Bhaker (Justicia adhatoda)

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9512681

(Eremostachys vicaryi)

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2013
4:01 AM

Post #9512888

Nice to see what grows in other parts of the world. Thanks
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9513359

Welcome. Sun Spurge (Euphorbia helioscopia) with another variant of Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea).
Regards,
Arif.

Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud      

taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9513511

Wow, Love the foliage on the Eremostachys Vicaryi Big and Bold! Thank You for the nice pictures!
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9515410

Platanus orientalis.

Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud         

taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9515528

Nice shaped Maple Tree! We have them all over here. Thank You!
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9518459

ooouch! That is not an Acer tree(Maple tree). I do not know if any part of Platanus is even edible. This is also a huge tree and a beauty. What you see are juveniles.
First two, Chinese Spinach (Amaranthus viridis). Edible weed, delicious and a famine food.
Next three are Morus alba and some places give the name as cultivar Pakistan but I do not agree. We also have a wild Morus alba not as sweet but I don't have photographs of that one. On my to do list with small Morus black.
Lot of things on the to do list but ID'ing them keeps me occupied out of proportion. Now where has that edible Pursalane photographs vanished?
Regards,
Arif.

taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9518466

Sorry about that! I thought the leaves looked like a maple.
Thank You for sharing your native plants!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2013
5:09 AM

Post #9518688

Your ongoing tour is much appreciated.
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2013
5:20 AM

Post #9522427

Albiza lebbeck. Its flowers have an overpowering perfume at sunrise. Quite hardy and take frost up to 8b.
Agave (Agave angustifolia).
Regards,
Arif.

taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9522640

Thank You for the great pictures.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9523344

We have Morus rubra. The fruit is just ripening and our bird population is busy stripping it clean.
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9524690

We have Morus rubra but mine has not set fruit as yet. Maybe it is setting fruit but I have not seen any with the birds around. The tree is four years old and it will fruit faster then the birds can eat them when more mature. No harm, I planted them to attract birds and that is what is happening. Got a breeding pair of Himalayan crested Bulbul and a dozen juveniles. Quite tame. Two pairs of quarrelling Myna's also busy in producing babies plus a peck at me every now and then if I have not dug up the soil for a long time. They love insects plus are quite cheeky.
Regards,
Arif.
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9524746

Would love to see pictures of your birds? A lot of us garden for birds and wildlife as well.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9526578

The mulberryleaves are quite nutritious for my green iguana - has one of the highest natural calcium levels, if I remember correctly. I love the tree for that reason too. :)
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9529441

Thanks Amanda, birds? I for some reason have not got any of the birds to standstill long enough for me to take a photograph even though they are quite used to me and sit next to me while I am digging waiting for tit bits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-vented_Bulbul
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=8830014
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Myna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Myna
Got a breeding pair living in the garden, maybe some day I might have my camera with me while digging but cameras and digging don't go together.
Regards,
Arif.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9530597

You're right about camera and birds! Yours are lovely! I am not familiar with those species.

This is the bird species that travels in packs from tree to tree stripping fruit as they go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_waxwing

There are a couple of other species in particular that also enjoy the mulberry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_thrasher
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Catbird
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockingbird
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9534456

Your birds are beautiful Thank You for sharing them with us. I never have my camera with me in my garden either. Thank You again!
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9554375

Most welcome. Sorry for the tardy replies but somehow I am hooked on PalmBob, Geoff Stein. Woow what a gentleman of knowledge. Hats off to him. I suppose when I have stopped soaking in his knowledge then I may have some time for threads. :)
Regards,
Arif.
1) Ragweed.
2) Rocket salad.
3) Ditto.
4) The inner workings of a sunflower.
5) Strobilanthes rankanensis

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2013
8:46 PM

Post #9554382

1) 2) 3) Hibiscus, a very old cultivar growing wild, a legacy from colonial era.
4) 5) Sorbus Cashmeriana

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9562098

Cassia fistula, Height 30-50 feet. Zone 9 to 11. Salt resistant. Medicinal. All parts poison. Tap root.

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2013
10:15 PM

Post #9562989

This is my own thread and I am not imposing myself on any one. Only those come who want to and there should be no objection.
Regards,
Arif.
https://secure.aworldatschool.org/page/share/thank-you-for-standing-with-malala?blue_daisychain_id=58f2b68a-d7d5-11e2-c0f9-000000000000&action_code=FgxRWxYUOVIKQV0YB0gD&td=TVFNbxMxEP0rlk8gZTd20k03ywUucEBFHJA4EGRN1rOJVa9n5Y-WgvjvjNsoxfbBfu_Nm2f7j8QZnJeDvIcZUrHvn-BM1I40y5WcXEw5wIzMfz5DEB-imxj3cIXvahFDEa2LOGZTYnVjxJyKs5etOYL3lC8nWrJ5qFwo3q9kohLH6hVxwhjBG3ik6C3kNHIW31I8cVkqx6vysGZgOVPAq0kmjmAm5zHJ4cdPRtwplMVMFGfzHGTHNWNEyGhsjbJRetuoXaN7obpBq0HtXxVuMWBtZNl2397ctvubdtu90iVhNHDCUI3u6LfzHg7rrlXizXcXLD0m8eWb2LX6nYgPw0a36q34hOM9HdbcVvHS4iM_2ES_GGG6Wp9hyWxbw-qVPPrCQcGlJyZceLlD1yOOCvvG3tqu0Ro3DUxj36j_Rv04vvT1gzzPQ-G2fRJfMbvsKLBmJls8XlQvjyX__gM
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9563252

Lovely Pictures! Thank You for sharing!

Thank You for sharing the chance to stand with Malala ! My heart and prayers go out to her family. I pray her dream becomes reality for others.
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9566770

Mine to. I just want to highlight the plight of innocent girls caught in the middle of this good for nothing affair. I wish you all would put down your proper names so that I could say thank you but this is some what of an impersonal site.
Regards,
Arif.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Native Plants and Wild Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
FREE Florida DOT Wildflowers!! sungrasses 3 Apr 10, 2010 9:10 PM
The Dead Lawn Society BloomsWithaView 257 May 22, 2008 8:45 PM
Variegated Skunk Cabbage Penn_Pete 10 Mar 16, 2008 3:39 PM
Joe Pye is heading for the sky. raydio 51 Oct 18, 2008 11:16 PM
Native Plant Nurseries Equilibrium 97 Apr 4, 2008 4:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America