Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: New Pond in Progress #2 (Bonnie)

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 105, Views: 806
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9272321

Bonnie wanted a new thread so here you go! we came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263354/

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM

Thumbnail by mittsy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9272421

Thanks, Mittsy

I am here -
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9273053

Thanks Mittsy,
I thought about just starting a new one but didn't know how to find the link to old.
Can't believe its already time to net the ponds. Seems like summer just started. I'll make sure I cover them this winter as last winter was a nightmare for falling leaves.

Do the water lillys have to brought inside for the winter? We usually only get a few nights of real cold weather.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9273127

Bonnie, I never bring the lilies in for the winter...and many of mine are in 6-8 " deep pots still waiting to be planted...they haven't suffered a bit.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9273332

My pond freezes over and the lilies are just fine. That is probably why they call them hardy water lilies. Won't get very many more blooms as it is beginning to cool off at night.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9281459

Sorry I haven't been around much ladies...I don't think I've had a day off in a month...and tons of trips out of town. I've missed hearing about everyone's updates! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9282524

Sure have missed you MM. Figured you were working.
I'll leave the lillies in the large birdbath cause I can't keep the koi from shreding them up.
I see pictures of ponds with lots of lillies in them and I can't understand how they keep koi from nibbling them to pieces. I was thinking about net bags.
Lillies are still alive cause their leaves are staying green. Are they normally slow growers?
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 21, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9282537

I just cut my tops off and dump in the deep end til spring. But obviously what I do bears little on what you would do in Florida. I would think you would just leave them out down there.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9282605

Bonnie -

what are your lilies planted in?

I have my waterlilies in pots in the bottom of the pond. I have not had problems with the koi eating the hardy waterlilies, but have had problems with the koi eating and destroying the tropical waterlilies. What kind of waterlilies are we talking about?

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9283426

Carolyn, they are not planted, just resting in the birdbath water which is nice and warm.
Mittsy will have to chime in here cause they came from her and I believe she said they were the hardy ones.
I am sure they are still living cause the leaves are nice and green. No signs of rotting etc.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9283451

Bonnie

I misunderstood - I thougth they were in your pond. The reason I wondered, was I know if they are planted in a clay medium, the koi will go after the clay potting media.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
3:29 AM

Post #9283668

All of mine are hardy.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9283704

Bonnie -

My koi don't go after the hardy waterlilies, however they ate the tropical liliy I tried down to nothing very quickly. I know MM has the tropical waterlilies and I don't think her koi eat her wl. Not sure why - maybe she has some tips for us.

I know there are alot of people that like to use the unscented clay kitty litter, however, because it is clay based, I would think the koi would go right after it.

Mittsy - I cannot remember if you have koi or not - just wondering if you do, whether they bother your wl's.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9284241

I start mine in kitty litter...then move them to nothin' but largestones/ rocks in an underwater tubby of some sort. I try to find anything in black, from the Dollar Store! They had black crates, which worked great. The rocks are too much for the koi to move, and they tend to not pick much at the leaves. I've noticed more that they nudge the rocks...or suck the algae off the sides of the planter...so I don't really think it's the actual plant that they want(?) It just sort of gets sucked in when they go after the other stuff.
On a side note...I just found out that I have a night blooming lily. Not sure where I got it...but it's sad that it's barely open when I go out back with my morning coffee, and then closes to a but shortly afterward. Sad, because it's a beautiful hot pink.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #9284555

No koi here, only goldfish, turtles and frogs.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2012
2:27 AM

Post #9284556

Bonnie

I would try them in your pond - just don't plant them into any of the clay mediums. I use pea gravel with the larger egg rock on top of the pea gravel, so the koi cannot get the pea gravel all over the bottom of the pond. The koi don't eat my wl's either.

You can always try one or two and see how it goes.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9284603

I'm goint to my friends ranch for 3 days. Be back home Thursday. Time for a break. Talk to you all later.
Thanks for the info.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9287328

Have a couple of the fabric pots filled with pea gravel and have plenty of river rock so will try one of them in there. I take it the pots should be set down into the water only enough to cover pots and lillys should be allowed to float on top. I'll try it with one. Don't want to loose all of them as there is 3.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9288775

Carolyn, I know you like pics. So here you go. Plants have filled in along one side of pond and walkway runs along other side. Two pics are of old pond which is smaller.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9288790

The squirrel statue came from Camelia at last RU in Jacks. He's the pond guardian.
Soon I'll have to remove plants down center of pond as I'm going to net it. Enjoy

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens         

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9288828

Bonnie - great photos. I can just hear your waterfalls as I sit here and listen for them!

Thank you for sharing!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 28, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9288846

Great pictures. You did such a fantastic job. All that hard work but you have a wonderful pond and surround.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9290721

Work & expence was worth it as I really enjoy the fish and place to sit and relax. It is near a noisy road with traffic but I ignore it as much as possible.
I bought netting yesterday from Ace Hdw. for both ponds so hope it keeps leaves out this winter. I got bird netting as Merry Mary suggested. Much cheaper than pond netting. Hope it does the job.
Happy fall ya'll.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9290756

I'm all about budget items! I do more shopping at the Dollar Store than anyone else in the community, lol...So many of the large wash tubbies become my underwater planters, and so many of them come in black! Yay Dollar Store! :)
Yesterday was hot hot hot, had to spend 4 hours in the sun, so was exhausted by the time I got home. That's when staring at water and my happy little fish is so very relaxing. I have SO much to do it makes my head spin...but I'll keep chugging along. Hopefully I can start digging soon? My fish really want their new home, they sent me a postcard from the pool they are currently in.
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9296066

Our little pond is three months old now. The goldfish have grown to 6 inches, they sure get excited at feeding time. We are experimenting with different plants growing in pea gravel, to see what will grow best, hanging roots in the water. We got some tropical fish when they go onsale at the pet store. They sell them 2 or 3 inches long and some will grow to over a foot. One of my favorites is the fancy tropical cat fish.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn   Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn   Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn      

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 4, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9296159

that is so neat. In the second one it's a toss up as to who is looking at whom. And I like the repurposed binder clips on the left side of Pic #1.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9298980

MM,
Contact me soon as we need to formulate a plan to get your pond done. Lets get er done before holiday time and its fast approaching.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9301347

Charlie called me out into back yard this morning. Found 3 eastern bluebirds and 2 great American flycatchers. Yipee. Hope some of them nest.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 10, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9301530

WoW! I haven't seen bluebirds around in the longest time! I hope they next too!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9304016

We've arrived in Cocoa Beach, and while looking over my patio I found a Cuban frog on my banana tree. Not good. I unwrapped my water lilies and dumped them in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Now I'll have to check it everyday for frog eggs,. Ugh!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9304098

Mittsy,
Wecome south. Please aniliate all the Cuban frogs you find.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9307061

Got new tennant in my favorite bird house 2 days ago. Cuban TF was in there for about a month guess he vacated. Can't tell due to bright sun if it is a black snake but sure hope so.
Bonnie

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens         

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 16, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9307318

Ug! ewweeeuuuuu. You have the most lovely birdhouse but I do NOT like your tenant...it is kind of obscene seeing him where there should be cute little birdies. Or at the worst a squirrel. But I guess if he eats Cuban TF, then you all can make allowances for him.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9307334

Ribbit No More! :D Bye-bye CTF!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9307435

Such a cute birdhouse - I don't like the tenant either...

Time to get a cat!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 16, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9307438

I wonder if the cat would eat the CTF

Oooops. But then he might also try to catch the koi. NOT!

This message was edited Oct 16, 2012 4:31 PM
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9307515

The CTF left the birdhouse and went into the pond before the snake got there. I'll bet I'll see tons of frog eggs soon. Doubt the snake will stay in the birdhouse.

I would like to have another cat considering we have mice again outside. Plus our old cat really kept the rabbits away. We are still looking for an older cat. I think we at least need to try to keep one here.

That is my favorite birdhouse. On a trip to Meadows of Dan, Va. bought it at Henriedda Crafters. A husb. & wife team with the cutest little bldg. full of birdhouses they have made. Here is their link if you are curious. They even will repair or repaint them for you.
www.loversleapbirdhouses.com
Enjoy
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9307696

Bonnie - check your local animal shelters and the aspca. There are so many older animals that need homes. All my cats were dumpees with my newest one having been dumped at the animal shelter when he was only 2 weeks old. He had not been weaned and his eyes were not opened yet when they found him dumped during the night on their front porch.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2012 7:33 AM
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9307746

Our animal shelter gets $75. for a cat. We live on a busy country road and it is hard to keep them from going into the road so I'm not paying that plus have to get them spayed. Often times there is an ad by someone who gives temporary homes and then gives them away so I'll probably try that when I get a chance.
Still think we should put up a fence too. I'll have to push for that cause after Oct. is really too late to plant down here.
We are having beautiful weather. The kind you like to get out and work in cause it isn't so hot.
M. Mary,
Habeeb is still very swollen and now has open ulcer on one side. I put him in sick tank 2 days ago and he is still living. I have salt in it and change water every day plus small aquarium filter on it. It's shubunken. ANY IDEAS???
Bonnie

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 17, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9307856

there was a birdhouse on top of a metal pole next to our mail box out by the road. It isn't too classy but the birds like it. Has a copper weather vane on top. I think I will order a new birdhouse and Damien can mount the weather vane on top. But we need to either repaint or reside our house and I would like to change the color. If I am going to pay $120+ for a birdhouse I should wait to be sure it matches our new house color so I bookmarked the url above. Thanks.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9307915

If he has an open wound and is also swollen, it's an internal bacterial infection. That makes it more complicated to deal with. The wound usually is just the advancement of the infection inside. If he's still eating, get some medicated food...try to get the antibiotics inside him. The salt will keep any additional bacteria from attacking the wound. In the fish section of places like PetSmart, they have antibiotic meds for smaller fish. You'll have to double the strength for the amount of water you'll have to use for a larger fish, but it may be worth it to let him swim around in a medicated bath.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9307949

Oberon, these folks will even repaint their birdhouses for $10. They are very well made and mine has been up there through lots of high winds. Probably about 3 or 4 years since Charlie put it up.

MM, I'm going to town today and will go to Pet Smart and see if they have antibiotic meds in stock. Jeff said when he picked it up it has water bubbles coming out of his sides. It really is Jeffs fish and he told me not to worry about it but I hate seeing something suffer if I can prevent it.
Noticed this morning there are brown like sausages floating on top of the water. I'm hoping thats fish poop and not something else harmful. Caleld fish farm this morning and he said same thing I said possibly impacted with eggs. Time will tell. I feel like Dr. Doolittle. I'll do what I can.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9307960

If it's impacted, it will still cause an internal infection...the fact that it now has an open sore if the concerning part. Fish poop will sometimes float if you change the fish diet, water temp, or if a fish has an infection (which yours does) Many times sick fish will gulp more surface air, which adds some air to the digestive tract. If you can't get medicated food, you can also feed fish frozen green peas (thawed) and they help clear out their digestive systems, as well as adding a little extra vitamin c to their diet.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9308328

Bonnie

that is a lot of money for an animal shelter. Ours charges $55 but it includes spaying/neutering of the animal. If you go to PetSmart and adopt one of their adult cats, it is $25. Shots are included as well - it actually cost me more money if I take in a stray and then get the spaying/neutering and the shots. I have done it both ways and it is definitely more cost effective to go to the shelter. Funny how different our areas are in the respect, isn't it?

Just wondering if your poor goldfish was in with other fish and how they look. Are any of those fish looking like they might have any problems? I ask only because they have been exposed.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 17, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9308368

the cats here at PetSmart go for around $125 at a minimum. Woody cost $200 and that didn't include any shots but rabies and his neutering. I guess that makes sense as most stuff seems more expensive here.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9308397

These cats in PetSmart are there for the ASPCA - they have an entire area for the ASPCA. They are poor little shelter cats. The money goes to the running of the ASPCA

http://www.chemungspca.org/adopt.aspx
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9308418

Jeff came today and went to Pet Supermarket and got meds. Ulcer is already healing up but Habeeb is still very swollen up. After looking up procedure we tried to express any eggs. No luck. Checked him just 1 hr. ago and he's still swimming around. All meds added after also adding a little warm water to sick tubby.

Jeff moved some koi from old pond and added to new pond. Took out a beautiful butterfly red looking and he evidentally got scraped in net and lost some scales so put it in sick tank and just got home from church and its dead. It was a little over a foot.

If Habeeb dies I will freeze it as Jeff wants to necropsy it to see if it is carrying eggs. As one friend told me the other day she would never have koi as they are just too much trouble. I told her its just challenges.
Carolyn Habeeb was in big pond with lots of others but so far they all look OK. Jeff got in old pond and examined all the goldfish and he said they looked OK. There is only about 4 left in old pond now and they are all goldies. Pet Supmkt. person said to bring water up to same temp as pond was so I did as I put fresh water in sick tank every day and its cooler.
I've spent $40.(meds) on a shubunkin. I think I need a labotomy.(brain transplant) At least I can say I tried. Fish farm owner said it would probably die. Well I've been told that before and they pulled thru. I figure give it my best shot.
At least I never get bored. LOL
Bonnie

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9308433

M Mary forgot to add: Habeeb is not piping at all. Jeff fed his fish green peas some time ago so I will try that tomorrow. He took small amt. on tweezers and put in fishes mouth. It cured it and it was an oranda. Somehow, I can't picture my tough looking son doing that but he did. Mary you have seen Meatball who now resides in my larger new pond and he's still going strong.

OK all, I've had enough excitement for one day. I'm going to bed and read a gardening mag.
Happy Ponding
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9309186

He's still living but I couldn't get him to eat the peas. I'll keep puting in the meds every day but I've done all I can do.
The ulcer is deep and doesn't look good at all. Poured iodine into it yesterday on fish farms suggestions.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9309191

Bonnie

Have you tried a Tricide Neo Dip? It is an antibiotic dip for both koi and goldfish that is for ulcer disease.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9309525

No don't know what it is but Carolyn I have spent over $50. on this little shsubunkin and thats enough for me. Comes a time when it goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. As my son said, don't worry abou it any more.
I honestly think this is an inside problem just manifested with that ulcer.
I check him many times during the day, add proper amt. of meds and in 7 days if he makes it will do water change.
I also bought an air pump and stone for it plus there is an aquarium filter I put on tub. As my husb. said you can buy a lot of those little fish at Walmart for what your spending. I feel I've done about all I can do.
I will look up that tricide neo dip for learning purposes. Thanks
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 19, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9309718

I went through the same process repeatedly trying to save my new koi. Course @ $700 for the lot it was worth almost any expenditure. I suspect it was simply too late. I really thought I had the last two cured. Carolyn walked me through all the steps and what to use and they were healing up nicely. The ulcers we no longer red and the flesh looked healthy. I learned a great deal and also gained the confidence to do things I had never done before. So it was not an entire loss. Course, now I only have gold fish as my husband has forbidden (like he thinks that would matter if I really wanted a koi lol) more koi until we are certain that our winter process is successful and we have a healthy pond. I do use the MicrobeLift PL and in the spring I use Prazi just to be on the safe side. Carolyn uses another maintenance product that I may try next year.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9310000

I have been there in the past with ulcer disease - I remember clearly that the salt bath was the real turning point.

I understand where Bonnie is on this and I get the whole - spending $. I have often wondered myself if I should put some type of $ limit on the fish when they have these problems. My problem is I tend to get emotionally attached to these fish - I suppose part of my rationale is 2 fold - firstly, I did spend too much on the fish to begin with and also, if I were to replace a 20" fish, I know I would be spending a small fortune for the same size fish.

I know, I know - it is truly all rationalization.

What has been working for me, is to salt the pond every fall Octoberish to Novemberish. Apparently the salt produces enough of a slime coat to get the fish through until Spring. In the Spring, we vacuum and do our water exchanges so the salt content is back down to 0 - this method also works well regarding the plants as salt will harm the plants.

Bonnie - let us know what happens.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9310055

Oberon if I ever spent $700. on fish we would have a cold war around here. Plus when they got sick I'd be beside my pond in tears. I unfortunately get attached to them. Nuts huh!!
Carolyn,
Went out this morning and was really shocked. Habeeb is not swollen and the ulcer has already covered over after just 2 pour ons of iodine. Also, his bulging eyes look much better. He isn't as peppy as he was but maybe that will come later. Plus he is in a little 30 gal. tub. so how much can he dart around. He lets me pick him up easily and doesn't thrash immediately. I have been able to pour on iodine with no problem. I'm just feeding him 4 pellets a day and he is eating now. Believe me I was in shock as I thought I would loose him for sure. I'm keeping up treating the water and tomorrow will put in all fresh water along with meds and salt.
So far so good but they can always turn around but right now signs are good.
Also, I'm going to salt the ponds soon. I think salt prevents a lot of problems and it certainly is a cheap ounce of prevention.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9310059

Bonnie

Great news. So glad your fish is on the mend.

^_^
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9310064

Carolyn,
This fish is really my son Jeffs so now you know I'm nuts. Took care of his sons today, the ones that helped me build the new pond and they told me they had seen their dad cry over his fish he lost. I was shocked so I told them well maybe we could save this one. The oldest boy (13) is also a fish lover and all things of nature. He loves to chase after lizards and small frogs and snakes. Who knows maybe he'll grow up to be a vet. He has been in gifted classes for years so who knows.
Anyway he was happy to see the fish looking so much better so it made it worth it to me.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9310069

Bonnie

Nature is so important. I am glad you were able to save the fish for your son.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 19, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9310070

I am also so very glad for you Bonnie. I am rooting for Habeeb to pull through
Spitzkopf
Nooksack, WA

October 20, 2012
2:05 AM

Post #9310290

Good to hear Bonnie, He'll make it just fine I bet. When they start getting better it's a quick recovery. He will be splashing you within a week.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9310404

At least now I'm optimistic. Going to do his water change this morning as it looks kind of cruddy.
Weather is just beautiful. In low 80's which is wonderful.
Thanks all for your caring.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9311635

Sorry to report Habeeb didn't make it. Ulcer deepened and some scales looked white. His infection was inside apparently. Did alI I could. Before quaranteen he was in large pond with many others so I'm hoping they don't get it also.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 21, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9311659

I am so very sorry. It looked so hopeful. You did indeed do the very best for him. I will hope that your other fish are okay. You have been through so much. Just not fair for such a caring and proactive pond keeper. Rest in peace Habeeb.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9311885

Bonnie

I am sorry to hear that. Sometimes with our best efforts, things just don't happen the way we would like. How is your son taking the news?

Spitzkopf
Nooksack, WA

October 22, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9311939

That's too bad Bonnie, had so much hope for Habeeb. Is Jeff still up to the necropsy, or probably later. Would be curious if there was eggs.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9312130

Blah! Just got back from DC, so am catching up on all the posts...
Sorry about Habeeb Bonnie! Sounds like you did everything right...but sometimes they just don't make it. Usually, the money we spend isn't about one fish, it's about A) the learning lesson to help make sure it doesn't happen in the future, and B) if it does, how to deal with it quickly. We grow in knowledge all along the way!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9312658

Jeff's ok with it. He has learned fish health is temperamental at best.
I doubt seriously there were any eggs as the bloating went away completely.
M. Mary you are right, its all a learning process and will probably happen again but now I have all meds on hand plus plenty of salt. We just keep trying and learning.
Glad your back home. Our weather is too good to miss.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9318364

Leaving for N. Fl. tomorrow AM to visit with my youngest dgt. & husb. We are taking all the heavy clothes we have as its always cooler up there.

To all up in New England and surrounding areas will pray for your safety thru Sandy.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9318380

Bonnie

It is supposed to hit tomorrow. Time will tell. I have been keeping an eye on the skimmer basket because all the trees are losing their leaves, but with that wind tomorrow, I am sure the trees will be bare. I am hoping we don't lose any power.

My next door neighbor has a couple of big old trees that fall down some with each storm. Those trees make me more nervous than anything else. Those trees dropped quite a few really big limbs on us and the surrounding neighbors last summer. The town was here to look and agreed that the trees needed to come down, however never did anything with that decision. Time will tell what happens with those trees.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 28, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9318393

Hope they don't land on your house or pond. And YOU of course. All else is fixable, on your neighbors nickle of course. It would be so much better for them and all around to make an organized effort to remove them rather than letting Mother Nature (whom we all know tends to be b----- sometimes) do it for them.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9322202

We are back home but enjoyed our visit with our kids.
Carolyn,
Did you have any damage from Sandy? Saw some news and know Jersey shores got it bad.
I'm praying those folks get their power back soon as its cold up there now.
We took all our heavy clothes with us as it wasn't warm in N. Fl.
Let us know how you made it thru the storm if you still have power that is.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9322251

Bonnie

we were very fortunate - never even lost power. Not much of anything. I am hoping and praying for our friends on the East Coast.

Thank you for asking.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9323243

Carolyn thats good news. Now to get power back to those who lost it plus many are saying they need food and water. Hope faith based groups hop to it plus FEMA.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9323381

Bonnie

I hope you are correct in that - I feel so for those people and now it is starting to get cold on top of it. Those poor people.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

November 3, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9323536

I heard FEMA was slow in responding. At least that was what I had read in the NY area. Still no word from Arlene. If she was not at home you would think she would have her computer, but then not everyone has a laptop. And I am sure she has more on her mind that DG. I hope her home was not damaged, or at least maybe only the grounds. ONLY the grounds...like damage to all her flowers would not be crushing.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9323668

Mary

I keep thinking about Arlene too. I have been trying to her and cannot. I am hoping it is just a case of no power. My understanding is that she and Jack were going to go to a shelter and then found out the shelter wouldn't take dogs. Not the first time I have heard of that. I won't leave my animals either, so I totally understand it.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

November 3, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9323701

Hopefully just (I say 'just' like it is no big thing - snort; but in the scheme of things [look at pictures on the thread "better late than never" in the dahlia section] a power outage isn't much. I didn't know they had decided to go to a shelter. It must have looked like they were going to have problems. Crumb!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9324231

A friend from up home (former home) just sent me some aerial pics of Misquanicut R.I. which is where I used to hang out as a teen on the beach. They didn't get hit as bad as I thought they would. 1 house was completely demolished but the older homes seemed all in tact. The roller skating rink which is a large bldg. looked like it was ok. I used to roller skate almost every night and that was one place we enjoyed during the summer cause winters it was closed but we had another further inland. Makes you feel good to see an old landmark still standing.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9325704

JUST SAW MANY PICS OF NY NJ PA CT AND WHAT A GIGANTIC MESS. PEOPLE WITH NO FLOOD INS. WILL PROBABLY NEVER OWN A HOME AGAIN.
GOD HELP THEM ALL. OUR HOMEOWNERS INS. JUST WENT UP TO $6,000. DEDUCTIBLE FOR HURRICANE DAMAGE WHICH DOESN'T INCLUDE FLOODING. TOMORROW I WILL FIND WHERE TO DONATE. PEOPLE HERE KNOW WHAT A HURRICANE CAN DO SO I'M SURE THERE ARE MANY DONATION SITES SET UP.
PRAY FOR THEM AS A NOREASTER IS ALSO PREDICTED.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9329370

They got some snow but more fell inland than near the coast. NY and Jersey have gas and oil rationed as they are having problems getting in there.
They have restored electric to those who have homes left but hundreds are homeless and don't know where to go.
Oberon & Carolyn-have you heard anything from your friend?
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9329466

Bonnie

Yes, it is quite a disaster there - I have had several emails from my friend. They were without power for 18 hours and suffered no damage, thankfully. I was so relieved to hear from her - thank you for asking.

I am hoping this weather we have witnessed is not an indicator of what is to come. This whole year the weather has been freakish.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9330148

Yes we are getting unusual weather.

Question:I put this on other thread but don't want it to be missed. Made a new ponding friend up in Chiefland, Fl. Saw her pond and she has 2 black fish she thinks are goldfish. All of her other fish are reg. goldies and 1 large koi. Is this possible?? 1 is about 8" and the other about 6". They are not a black black more like gray black. She has no idea how they got there.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9330197

Bonnie

If she has other goldfish, they could be a result of a spawning. We have no idea as to the history of colors that have gone into the other goldfish she already has. This is one reason we get so many different colors and combinations when our fish produce fry. Did she have the other goldfish when these guys would have been born? You say they are 8" so they would be a couple of years old.

The other thing is that these 2 black guys could have come in on some water plants as well. This is not uncommon either. I always thought black fish would be really neat looking, but then realized they wouldn't show well in my pond. I still love black/red combinations though...
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9330671

Yeppers...fertilized eggs can come in on pond plants. Surprise! :) There are definitely black goldfish...doubt they would interbreed with the single koi. Check for the barbels (fish whiskers) to determine if they are koi or goldfish...(goldfish won't have them)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9330875

No barbels I looked.
Her pond is now all screened in an enclosure but this happened before that time. Yes Carolyn I believe she had goldfish long before these 2 showed up. I've only known her a few months but looking at size of reg. goldies I'd say they were their first.
My Jeff said he saw 2 black babies in my newest large pond that were now about 3". I've never seen them as my pond is black bottomed but I'll take his word for it.
Fascinating what fish can do. I'll e-mail her and tell her your comments. Thanks
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9334265

She e-mailed back. No barbels so they are goldfish. Fascinating. Her fish are so tame they come right up and get into her hand looking for food. It's so cute and fascinating to watch.
Happy Thanksgiving All.
Bonnie
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 8, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9352866

Water temp in our outdoor aquarium has dropped below 55F so half of the tropical fish are dead, one or two per day. They were a small investment at $1 to $2 each at the pet store on-sale , so we plan to re-invest next spring. I need to get a stock-tank heater for 500 gallons. There are 16 goldfish that have grown to 4 to 6 inches. They are fun to watch.
We started on the tile project and decided to do the pond structure and back patio area in terra cotta. Materials were a few hundred dollars and I looked at you-tube how-to videos on how to lay tile. I was just getting going on the project when my back went out. Still suffering persistent lower back pain after a month, so tile progress has stopped until I can get feeling better again. Ibuprofen helps and I saw the chiropractor Thursday. Being a do-it-yourselfer has it's costs ;-]

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn   Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn   Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn      

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9352949

John

That really stinks about your back. I hope you are in good shape by the holidays so you can enjoy them.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

December 10, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9354495

The tile are really beautiful. Your patio and tank will look so attractive when done.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
5:04 AM

Post #9382547

Woo hoo,
Today son Jeff and I are going to fish farm to get more koi food. I so enjoy his company as he is a born comedian. Doesn't take after his dad thats for sure.
Will have to control myself and not buy any fish. It's only a little over and hour ride. Will try to get some pics.
Jeff called and they said they changed fish food and of course its more expensive. Can't think of anything that isn't now a days.
Reading Bonnie's Plants newsletter yesterday. Some man lost 25 fish in his pond. She said she warned him many times 25 fish were too many for 7,500 gal. pond. I've got more than that in 3,000 gals. I know she has 30 years experience at raising fish but I don't agree with that ratio.
I'd like to hear others thoughts.
Have a good weekend.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 12, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9382628

Like most things I would think it would depend on size. What if they were all 36" long? Don't know. Mine is about 2800 after last rebuild.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9382699

Bonnie

Filtration is the key and it is so important. What will happen with that many fish is as we all know, koi produce a lot of waste. With a lot of waste comes low oxygen levels and the bad bacterias, so there is more chance of having ulcer disease and that type of thing.

With filtering the pond and consistently keeping it clean, this helps to reduce wastes and the possiblities of disease.

I have 17 fish and my pond is 4850 gallons. I know if I don't run the smaller pump through my pea gravel, that waste smell seems to come from the pond and there seems to be the clarity issues as well. It is only a 500 gallon pondmaster mag pump, but it does the job.

So bottom line, you can cheat the numbers if the level of filtration is there.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9383021

Hi all,
Owner of fish farm said if you want to grow REALLY big fish 500 gals. per fish but he also said thats overkill in most situations. Guess I had better not add too many more. Along that line I bought 1 more butterfly today and added to larger pond as it came out of tank where they had been treated and quaranteened. Kind of odd coloration. Yellow on head, white on body with smatters of gray and black. Beautiful fins. Also 13 mostly blue shubunkins, little guys and put in old pond. Old pond got 3 from my sons house as he bought 2 and he had to thin out. His pond is only about 150 gals trough tank. He's always giving away and swaping. Someday he is hoping for a larger pond on his lanei. Keps him happy so what the heck.
I couldn't get any good pics of fish as many tanks were empty due to them being away on vacation. Had 1 there 2 1/2 feet but it was out of my budget range and not a butterfly. When the shubunkins grow up they will pretty much fill up old pond. What caught my eye with them was all the blue ones with yellow heads. Very pretty. I just put all of them in old pond as I'm not worried if they die, they were cheap.

Well we got lost again going over but finally made it. I'm exhausted. Happy son and grand sons anyhow so its worth it. New food is from Blue Ridge Fish Hatchery. Hope they like it as good as the other. 6 5lb. bags to a case. Will last us for quite a while.

I'm heading for shower and looking forward to to bedrtime.

Guess you know I didn't keep my promise of no buying fish. What an addiction. Could be worse.
Bonnie

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9383114

[quote="BonnieGardens"] What an addiction. Could be worse.
Bonnie

[/quote]

That is funny.

Glad you had a good time.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
3:13 AM

Post #9383365

Bonnie, I so enjoy reading your posts. The water lilies I brought down are still doing ok in the 5 gallon bucket. Our weather has been absolutely beautiful here in Cocoa Beach. I'm looking forward to meeting you face to face.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
3:58 AM

Post #9383371

Mittsy,
Sure can't complain about the weather its wonderful.
I think March would be a good time for a plant roundup. Due to sickness we didn't have one last fall so we are overdue.
I'll have to see how the Jacksonville crowd are doing now. I sure hope they are all doing better.
I really enjoyed hosting the one we had here.
Something to work towards.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9413517

Jeff came over today and deposited 4 koi in old pond for me to grow them. We were only able to see 1 of the black fish and scoop it. VERY strange. It looked like too many fins to me. He swears it is a goldfish (no barbells) but sure has a lot of fins and is very beautiful. He will keep it in his little pond until it gets larger and then bring it back to me to grow more. He loves swaping fish. I just don't move any of the large ones in the larger pond. I think moving them isn't good for their immune system so less moving the better.

In case anyone here missed it I have set a date of April 13th for spring roundup at my place. Everyone is welcomed. I have started potting stuff up now for to give it a chance to get established. More info on roundup site will be forthcoming.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9413602

If Spring ever gets here... I feel like winter has been forever!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9413607

Honestly we haven't had a normal winter this year at all as far as I'm concerned. I still haven't had to cover plants and usually by this time I do at least a couple of nights. Very strange. Lots of plants are budded out and are confused. If we get a freeze now it will really cause some damage. I'm not complaining mind you.
Bonnie

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
3:16 AM

Post #9413855

Do you have any guidelines for your round up? I have extra tomato plants that I have started from seed, I call them sandwich tomatoes as the original tomatoes were bought at a farmer's market to use on sandwiches. Very tasty. I can pot them individually if anyone would like one. I also have some hardy water lilies that I brought from my pond in NY.
pondlove
Lewes, DE

February 10, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9414016

Spring is just around the corner. I'd love to hear from fellow ponders what your plans are for your pond this spring. I'd like to re-do the perimeter of my pond by replacing the "necklace" of stones with grasses, plants and pathways. Anyone have suggestions, images, etc. for me?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 10, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9414080

seems like that would be a Ponds 2013 thread, yes? time to start one anyway.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9414109

I agree - definitely time to start one.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9414110

Mary

you did start one last month.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293718/
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 10, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9414523

Great minds --- even if one is sort of forgetful lol
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9418235

Mittsy,
I'm sure lots of people would love to have some tomatoe plants. I would appreciate a water lilly as my ponding son took all but 1 of mine that you sent me. I do think it is living as it still has 2 green leaves on it. Can't complain as he is always bringing me fish. He also said if he is successful at growing them he will bring them back to me as he just has a stock tank pond which he finished off beautifully.

Really looking forrward to meeting you and aren't you glad your not up in NY with the weather they are having.
Bonnie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9418571

So thankfull to be able to escape the cold!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America