Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

New Pond in Progress #2 (Bonnie)

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Bonnie wanted a new thread so here you go! we came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263354/

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM

Thumbnail by mittsy
Athens, PA

Thanks, Mittsy

I am here -

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Mittsy,
I thought about just starting a new one but didn't know how to find the link to old.
Can't believe its already time to net the ponds. Seems like summer just started. I'll make sure I cover them this winter as last winter was a nightmare for falling leaves.

Do the water lillys have to brought inside for the winter? We usually only get a few nights of real cold weather.

Bonnie

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie, I never bring the lilies in for the winter....and many of mine are in 6-8 " deep pots still waiting to be planted.....they haven't suffered a bit.

My pond freezes over and the lilies are just fine. That is probably why they call them hardy water lilies. Won't get very many more blooms as it is beginning to cool off at night.

Sorry I haven't been around much ladies....I don't think I've had a day off in a month...and tons of trips out of town. I've missed hearing about everyone's updates! :)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sure have missed you MM. Figured you were working.
I'll leave the lillies in the large birdbath cause I can't keep the koi from shreding them up.
I see pictures of ponds with lots of lillies in them and I can't understand how they keep koi from nibbling them to pieces. I was thinking about net bags.
Lillies are still alive cause their leaves are staying green. Are they normally slow growers?
Bonnie

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I just cut my tops off and dump in the deep end til spring. But obviously what I do bears little on what you would do in Florida. I would think you would just leave them out down there.

Athens, PA

Bonnie -

what are your lilies planted in?

I have my waterlilies in pots in the bottom of the pond. I have not had problems with the koi eating the hardy waterlilies, but have had problems with the koi eating and destroying the tropical waterlilies. What kind of waterlilies are we talking about?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Carolyn, they are not planted, just resting in the birdbath water which is nice and warm.
Mittsy will have to chime in here cause they came from her and I believe she said they were the hardy ones.
I am sure they are still living cause the leaves are nice and green. No signs of rotting etc.
Bonnie

Athens, PA

Bonnie

I misunderstood - I thougth they were in your pond. The reason I wondered, was I know if they are planted in a clay medium, the koi will go after the clay potting media.

All of mine are hardy.

Athens, PA

Bonnie -

My koi don't go after the hardy waterlilies, however they ate the tropical liliy I tried down to nothing very quickly. I know MM has the tropical waterlilies and I don't think her koi eat her wl. Not sure why - maybe she has some tips for us.

I know there are alot of people that like to use the unscented clay kitty litter, however, because it is clay based, I would think the koi would go right after it.

Mittsy - I cannot remember if you have koi or not - just wondering if you do, whether they bother your wl's.

I start mine in kitty litter....then move them to nothin' but largestones/ rocks in an underwater tubby of some sort. I try to find anything in black, from the Dollar Store! They had black crates, which worked great. The rocks are too much for the koi to move, and they tend to not pick much at the leaves. I've noticed more that they nudge the rocks....or suck the algae off the sides of the planter....so I don't really think it's the actual plant that they want(?) It just sort of gets sucked in when they go after the other stuff.
On a side note...I just found out that I have a night blooming lily. Not sure where I got it...but it's sad that it's barely open when I go out back with my morning coffee, and then closes to a but shortly afterward. Sad, because it's a beautiful hot pink.

No koi here, only goldfish, turtles and frogs.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy
Athens, PA

Bonnie

I would try them in your pond - just don't plant them into any of the clay mediums. I use pea gravel with the larger egg rock on top of the pea gravel, so the koi cannot get the pea gravel all over the bottom of the pond. The koi don't eat my wl's either.

You can always try one or two and see how it goes.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm goint to my friends ranch for 3 days. Be back home Thursday. Time for a break. Talk to you all later.
Thanks for the info.
Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Have a couple of the fabric pots filled with pea gravel and have plenty of river rock so will try one of them in there. I take it the pots should be set down into the water only enough to cover pots and lillys should be allowed to float on top. I'll try it with one. Don't want to loose all of them as there is 3.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Carolyn, I know you like pics. So here you go. Plants have filled in along one side of pond and walkway runs along other side. Two pics are of old pond which is smaller.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

The squirrel statue came from Camelia at last RU in Jacks. He's the pond guardian.
Soon I'll have to remove plants down center of pond as I'm going to net it. Enjoy

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Athens, PA

Bonnie - great photos. I can just hear your waterfalls as I sit here and listen for them!

Thank you for sharing!

Great pictures. You did such a fantastic job. All that hard work but you have a wonderful pond and surround.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Work & expence was worth it as I really enjoy the fish and place to sit and relax. It is near a noisy road with traffic but I ignore it as much as possible.
I bought netting yesterday from Ace Hdw. for both ponds so hope it keeps leaves out this winter. I got bird netting as Merry Mary suggested. Much cheaper than pond netting. Hope it does the job.
Happy fall ya'll.

I'm all about budget items! I do more shopping at the Dollar Store than anyone else in the community, lol....So many of the large wash tubbies become my underwater planters, and so many of them come in black! Yay Dollar Store! :)
Yesterday was hot hot hot, had to spend 4 hours in the sun, so was exhausted by the time I got home. That's when staring at water and my happy little fish is so very relaxing. I have SO much to do it makes my head spin...but I'll keep chugging along. Hopefully I can start digging soon? My fish really want their new home, they sent me a postcard from the pool they are currently in.

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Our little pond is three months old now. The goldfish have grown to 6 inches, they sure get excited at feeding time. We are experimenting with different plants growing in pea gravel, to see what will grow best, hanging roots in the water. We got some tropical fish when they go onsale at the pet store. They sell them 2 or 3 inches long and some will grow to over a foot. One of my favorites is the fancy tropical cat fish.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

that is so neat. In the second one it's a toss up as to who is looking at whom. And I like the repurposed binder clips on the left side of Pic #1.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

MM,
Contact me soon as we need to formulate a plan to get your pond done. Lets get er done before holiday time and its fast approaching.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Charlie called me out into back yard this morning. Found 3 eastern bluebirds and 2 great American flycatchers. Yipee. Hope some of them nest.

WoW! I haven't seen bluebirds around in the longest time! I hope they next too!

We've arrived in Cocoa Beach, and while looking over my patio I found a Cuban frog on my banana tree. Not good. I unwrapped my water lilies and dumped them in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Now I'll have to check it everyday for frog eggs,. Ugh!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Mittsy,
Wecome south. Please aniliate all the Cuban frogs you find.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Got new tennant in my favorite bird house 2 days ago. Cuban TF was in there for about a month guess he vacated. Can't tell due to bright sun if it is a black snake but sure hope so.
Bonnie

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

Ug! ewweeeuuuuu. You have the most lovely birdhouse but I do NOT like your tenant...it is kind of obscene seeing him where there should be cute little birdies. Or at the worst a squirrel. But I guess if he eats Cuban TF, then you all can make allowances for him.

Ribbit No More! :D Bye-bye CTF!

Athens, PA

Such a cute birdhouse - I don't like the tenant either.....

Time to get a cat!

I wonder if the cat would eat the CTF

Oooops. But then he might also try to catch the koi. NOT!

This message was edited Oct 16, 2012 4:31 PM

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

The CTF left the birdhouse and went into the pond before the snake got there. I'll bet I'll see tons of frog eggs soon. Doubt the snake will stay in the birdhouse.

I would like to have another cat considering we have mice again outside. Plus our old cat really kept the rabbits away. We are still looking for an older cat. I think we at least need to try to keep one here.

That is my favorite birdhouse. On a trip to Meadows of Dan, Va. bought it at Henriedda Crafters. A husb. & wife team with the cutest little bldg. full of birdhouses they have made. Here is their link if you are curious. They even will repair or repaint them for you.
www.loversleapbirdhouses.com
Enjoy

Athens, PA

Bonnie - check your local animal shelters and the aspca. There are so many older animals that need homes. All my cats were dumpees with my newest one having been dumped at the animal shelter when he was only 2 weeks old. He had not been weaned and his eyes were not opened yet when they found him dumped during the night on their front porch.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2012 7:33 AM

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Our animal shelter gets $75. for a cat. We live on a busy country road and it is hard to keep them from going into the road so I'm not paying that plus have to get them spayed. Often times there is an ad by someone who gives temporary homes and then gives them away so I'll probably try that when I get a chance.
Still think we should put up a fence too. I'll have to push for that cause after Oct. is really too late to plant down here.
We are having beautiful weather. The kind you like to get out and work in cause it isn't so hot.
M. Mary,
Habeeb is still very swollen and now has open ulcer on one side. I put him in sick tank 2 days ago and he is still living. I have salt in it and change water every day plus small aquarium filter on it. It's shubunken. ANY IDEAS???
Bonnie

there was a birdhouse on top of a metal pole next to our mail box out by the road. It isn't too classy but the birds like it. Has a copper weather vane on top. I think I will order a new birdhouse and Damien can mount the weather vane on top. But we need to either repaint or reside our house and I would like to change the color. If I am going to pay $120+ for a birdhouse I should wait to be sure it matches our new house color so I bookmarked the url above. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.