AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9272441

AS much as is I was only here to see and hear about what some of you might be starting for fall or the plans you have for winter and next spring with your seedlings I have a many a little seedling started ,my favorite being the daylily from my own seeds. I have several Hibiscus to add to next years late summer and fall blooms.I'm looking forward to some more of the red blooms that bring Hummingbirds.
I didn't do well with the Agastache and Pentsemon seedlings, those turned out to be a little more difficult than I hoped for. Yarrow and Hibiscus turned out to be easy to grow and I am really glad of that, I just thought you all might be willing to talk about some of the seeds you have all been trying. Be back later.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9272667

I found Penstemon and Verbascum seeds to be quite easy but haven't had luck with any Daylilies. Not one germinated for me. I gave up after 5 months and dumped the seeds out in the garden. We'll see what happens next year. Coreopsis lanceolata and C. tinctoria are easy but invasive. It's a good thing they're also easy to ID and pull. I managed to get Actaea racemosa, Black Snakeroot to germinate but lost it from lack of attention. I want to try it again.

Others with which I've done well are Morning Glories, Cosmos, Perennial Dianthus, Hollyhocks(Alcea), Columbine(Aquilegia), Bachelor's Button (Centaurea cyanus), California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica, also invasive), Gaillardia and Sunflowers of many different kinds. I know there are more but I can't think of them right now.

Verbascum 'Temptress White'
Coreopsis tinctoria "Mahongany Midget' and 'Radiata Mix'
Perennial Dianthus

Thumbnail by kwanjin   Thumbnail by kwanjin   Thumbnail by kwanjin      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9272697

The seeds of many (most?) Penstemon species require stratification to break down germination inhibitors, so many people do find them difficult... Verbascum are usually easy germinators though.
Kwanjin, wow, you have a very strict personal definition of "invasive"... ;-) I've never heard anyone refer to those native species as "invasive" before, though of course, they do seed themselves... but you'll find that virtually all plants do. (N.B. Your Dianthus photo is of Dianthus barbatus, which is actually a biennial... though hopefully it will reseed for you.)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9272734

I've been accused of over-using 'invasive' before. In my yard, the ones I mentioned reseed everywhere. And I do mean everywhere and profusely. And yes, I meant Dianthus barbatus. I've had a few plants for 3 years now and they are producing seeds. Lots of them... The CA Poppies are still coming up in places I don't want them after 3 years of pulling them. We won't even mention the Morning Glories.

Annual and perennial Flax, Linum usitatissimum and Linum perenne, respectively, do well for me, also.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9273181

I've seen Hummingbirds nectaring at Zinnias, Basil, and Coleus flowers, which are all easy from seed.
rustylove2_
Hitchcock, TX

September 13, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9273968

Can someone give me advice on propagating (?) a Yellow Bells Esperanza? Hope I am in the right location. I am new.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9274676

rustylove2_Do you have access to the propagation forum? usually there is advice to be had there,
While I am here , I missed the stratification of Penstemon ,I missed that altogether. Explains the fail mostly.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9275632

Kwanjin ~ Do you have any spare seeds of that lovely verbascum? Is there anything you might be wanting? Thanks!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9275910

I do have seeds, Evelyn. D-mail me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America