Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Daylilies: Rock Salt & Daylilies

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 7, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9272443

Will rock salt kill the daylilies by my driveway from the snow from my driveway that is shoveled onto my daylilies, It don't get to much snow on the daylilies but there might be enough to kill them. I try not to put any snow on the daylilies but my grandson shovels sometime & I don't want to lose them. Has anyone lost any from salt??
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9272816

I have not lost any but then again we try to get the ice melt rather than the salt and use that the most.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9283570

I think daylilies are pretty resistant to rock salt. I have some planted by the road, and our town dumps salt on the roads every winter. That snow gets plowed onto the daylilies in those beds by the road, and they are still doing very well.

Karen
DaylilyOma
Harrod, OH

September 30, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9291462

I have a dozen or so unnamed daylilies that a friend of mine gave me years ago. She was really involved in "making" new plants. Each summer she would call me to her garden to pick what I wanted. Those plants are probably 8-10 years old now and have been planted out front where the snow from the road is plowed and they get covered each winter. The driveway is cleared and cover them as well.
The salt has not killed any of the plants but they are still very small plants and have not multiplied like those in our two garden beds. I have at least fifty plus named cultivars and the plants out front are from some of the named cultivars.
I tend to think that the ones with the salt "treatment" do not grow as well but that might not be true. All I know is they have not increased like I thought they should. I wanted to have them moved before winter but since they haven't been moved already, I fear it is too late to do it this year.
That's my two cents worth! DaylilyOma
Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9291483

DaylilyOma..You can still plant them now, I have one comming from John Bentz from in Ohio & I will plant it by Outober 4th.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9291613

My dailies by the road that get the salt treatment are multiplying well, they don't seem to be affected by the salt. I'm wondering if yours might be evergreens that don't multiply well in the north?

Karen
DaylilyOma
Harrod, OH

September 30, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9291653

They were all raised just ten minutes or so from where I live.
If they are Evergreens, I am not aware of it.
I truly think it has something to do with the salt, but maybe not since others are not having the same problem.
Due to our health issues, they have not been pampered.
I am glad to find out that they can still be moved before frost again. We have had one light frost already.

Thanks for the input. DaylilyOma

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9291998

I have found that many evergreens that I have, especially the ones by Florida hybridizers, while hardy, they do not multiply well. I have had LIGHTER THAN AIR, a Salter daylily, for about 5 or 6 years now, and still only have 2 fans on it. It's such a beautiful thing, and I wish it would do better. I would love to get a nice clump shot of it, but alas, I don't think I will. Oh, well, at least I don't have to be concerned about rust up here. Even if we get it, our freezing temps will ensure it doesn't come back the following year, or at least that's what I have read.

Karen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America