-
AuthorContent
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9272847

I've grown yellow and blue field corn in the past to make our own corn bread and to feed our chickens.
This year we have Cherokee White and Blue Clarage. I was wondering if any of you have other recipe uses other than corn bread?

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9273201

This isn't really cornbread but we love it. I love it with my goat cheese or used like a crostini.

Cornmeal Crunch Recipe
I make an effort to buy whole grain cornmeal - this is cornmeal that still has the nutritious bran and germ included. You can easily make this recipe vegan by omitting the cheese.

1 1/2 cups (medium grind) cornmeal
fine grain sea salt
4 cups yellow onion, chopped (about 3 medium)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
3 cups water or vegetable broth

Preheat the oven to 400F degrees, racks in the middle. Butter and flour (or line bottom with parchment paper) one 9 x 12-inch baking dish or tart pan - or roughly this size.

In a medium bowl combine the corn meal with 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir and set aside.

To caramelize the onions, heat a splash of olive oil in a large thick-bottomed skillet with a pinch or two of salt. Cook over high heat, stirring and scraping the pan occasionally - more often as the onions begin to get increasingly brown. Continue cooking until the onions collapse and turn deep brown in color. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Bring 1 1/2 cups water (or broth) to a boil in a medium saucepan, add the water and cornmeal mixture, bring back up to a boil and stir until it is thicker than a heavy frosting - about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and 2/3 of the onions. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, spreading it to an even thickness, and drizzle with about 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the bottom is golden and the cornmeal begins to pull away from the sides of the pan a bit. Serve topped with the remaining onions (and more grated cheese if you like).

Makes about 16 pieces.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9273213

Here is another good one.

CORN MEAL PUDDING
2/3 cup corn meal
4 ½ cups milk
¼ cup butter
½ cup molasses
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Scald 3 ½ cups of the milk in the top part of double boiler over direct heat.
Mix corn meal with remaining 1 cup of cold milk. Add to scalding milk, stirring constantly.
Place over boiling water and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add butter, molasses, salt, sugar and cinnamon.
Pour into greased baking dish (1 ½ quart).
Bake for 1 ½ hours. Serve warm with cream or vanilla ice cream.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9273784

Thank you for taking the time to share these recipes!!!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9273812

You are welcome. I was trying to find my mom's recipe for a cake with cornmeal. Seems like it was lemon and blueberry. Flour and cornmeal and we really liked it. If I uncover it I will add it.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2012 7:15 AM
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9274485

We are not corn meal eaters much. We only use it to coat things for frying or to make hushpuppies. Do you have any pics of the corn?
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9274734

CajuninKy, I get you some pics as soon as I can. Checked it yesterday, about a week away till I can harvest.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9277566

I recently made a Grits Pie. It's basically a baked custard. We liked it but even though I cut the sugar by 1/3, it was still a little sweet for me. Next time I'll make my own crust and try just 1/2 the sugar/

Grits Pie
http://www.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view2/grits_pie/

Servings: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Difficulty: Easy

1/4 cup buttermilk
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 cup quick-cooking grits
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9-inch) frozen pie shell, thawed and unbaked

Sweetened whipped cream and strawberries (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add grits and cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add butter and cook for an additional minute. Set aside and cool slightly.

In a small bowl, stir together sugar, flour eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir into cooked grits. Pour into pie shell and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until set. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream and strawberries as a garnish, if desired.

yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9277644

Darius, Being a northerner, I did NOT have the fortune of growing up around grits. Do you have your own way of making grits?

This message was edited Sep 19, 2012 7:18 AM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9278011

Yes, I like the long, slow way of cooking grits. check the Anson Mills website for the best directions.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9278635

Cornmeal Biscuits

1 1/2 c all purpose flour
3/4 c white cornmeal
2 T plus 1 t baking powder
1 T sugar
1/3 c lard
3/4 to 1 c scalded sweet milk or cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Sift together the dry ingredients. Cut in the lard with a pastry
blender. Add enough sweet milk or cream to form a soft dough and knead
briefly. Roll out 1/4-inch thick on a floured board. Cut out with a 2-
inch biscuit cutter or an old tuna can.

Bake for about 10 minutes - until risen and browned. You don't want to
overbake them, though, so check after 8-minutes. One of the best
biscuits you'll ever taste.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9278937

I love my southern cornbread which is not sweet at all but never thought of biscuits. I can't wait to try them.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9278943

Keep 'em comin'. I'm writing them all down

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9279045

Somewhere I have a recipe for cornmeal dumplings. The next time I make chicken and dumplings, I'll find it and post it here.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9279824

Here's a pic of the corn. The wife is busy making decorations with it.
A little bit of blue clarage apparently pollinated my back row of cherokee white. Oh well, no harm done

This message was edited Sep 19, 2012 9:05 AM

Thumbnail by yardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9279852

Looks good! I like the cross-pollinated ears.

I'd like to grow these, Glass Gem corn, and Indian corn.

* Gem Corn at Seeds Trust (Arizona) http://secure.seedstrust.com/

Thumbnail by darius   Thumbnail by darius         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9279872

Those look awesome!! I would like a shot at growing them for their ornamental value.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9279877

Our chickens seem to like the blue clarage corn more than the yellow, just as advertised on Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9279921

Those are beautiful. Are they OP?
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9280113

Mine or darius? Both of mine are.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9280179

So are mine...

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9280269

Ooooooo, I love the Glass Gem corn. How does it taste?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9280388

Don't know... haven't ordered seeds to grow any yet! I'm told it makes good cornmeal.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9280673

I wish I had the room and the setup to grow some corn. I grew a fews hills last year and they did well. That spot has grown up now and I have no way to clean it back off.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9281491

Recently my doctor told me I need to give up modern wheat, so I've been looking at a LOT of cornflour and cornmeal recipes.

Anson Mills seems to have a number of old-fashioned recipes using stone-ground corn... and they sell a variety of different corn flours. I'll post them next because they are a good source for recipes.

This cornmeal cookie intrigues me, although I cannot make it due to the inclusion of wheat flour.

Crumiri (Cornmeal Butter Cookies)
http://ansonmills.com/recipes/478?recipes_by=grain

Crumiri are cornmeal cookies, provenance Piedmont, possessing classic European snap (not bend) and a buttery crumb. Traditionally piped or shaped into little horseshoes and dusted—like many things dolce—with powdered sugar, they have a ravishingly fine finish (finer even than the word “sandy” suggests), and their overall effect is appealingly uncomplicated. The American homage to crumiri has tended to result in a demure, dressy cookie, rolled and iced rather than hand-shaped and powdered. Prettiness notwithstanding, American cornmeal cookies lose a lot in translation, as their texture frequently falls well short of “fine” and is light years from ravishing.

The problem with American cornmeal cookies goes directly to the problem with commercial cornmeal: It’s not coarse enough to produce a decent skillet cornbread, but far too coarse to produce a decent cookie. Anson Mills Antebellum Fine Yellow Cornmeal, on the other hand, drifts from the bag damp, fragrant, and just one sifter screen shy of corn flour. In both versions of our crumiri, the sweet flavor of corn lingers on the tongue and a subtle, buttery granulation between the teeth.

For this recipe, you will need a digital kitchen scale, a mixing bowl, a whisk, a stand mixer with the flat-beater attachment, a rubber spatula, three baking sheets, and parchment paper. A ruler might come in handy and a fine-mesh sieve works best when sifting the confectioners’ sugar.

7 ounces (1⅓ cups plus 2 tablespoons) unbleached all-purpose flour or an equal amount by weight of Anson Mills Colonial Style Fine Cloth-Bolted Pastry Flour
5 ounces (1 cup) Anson Mills Antebellum Fine Yellow Cornmeal or Fine White Cornmeal
Scant ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
8 ounces (16 tablespoons) unsalted European-style butter, room temperature
5.25 ounces (¾ cup) superfine sugar
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
3.5 ounces (1 sifted cup) confectioners’ sugar

Turn the flour, cornmeal, and salt into a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat-beater attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl. Add the sugar and beat on medium speed until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is light and aerated, about 3 minutes, pausing once to scrape down the bowl. With the mixer running on low speed, add the egg and the vanilla and almond extracts; beat until incorporated, then add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until the mixture forms a cohesive dough. Detach the bowl from the mixer and give the dough a few turns with a rubber spatula.

Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for about 1 hour (longer refrigeration is fine, but the dough will require a short time at room temperature to soften before shaping). When you are ready to bake, remove the dough from the refrigerator. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Tape a sheet of parchment paper to the work surface to keep the dough from sticking as you shape it. Working 4 or 5 at a time, break off small bits of dough with your fingers and roll them into 1¼-inch balls (0.5 ounce in weight, or about the size of a shell-on hazelnut) lightly between the palms. Roll each ball on the parchment paper into a skinny snake, 4 inches long, and untapered on the ends. If the dough becomes too soft, flour your hands very lightly. Grasping the ends lightly, lift each dough snake onto a prepared baking sheet, bending it into a U to create a horseshoe shape; space the cookies about 2 inches apart. You should end up with a total of about 48 cookies.

Bake the cookies one baking sheet at a time until golden brown on the edges and bottoms, about 20 minutes, rotating the pan from front to back halfway through the baking time. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheet, then sift confectioners’ sugar over them, turning to coat the bottoms as well.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9281492

Antebellum Coarse Yellow Cornmeal Recipes
Old-Fashioned Cornmeal Mush
Hush Puppies
Collard Greens with Cornmeal Dumplings
Black Skillet Cornbread
Cornbread and Oyster Dressing
Baked Indian Pudding
Colonial Cornmeal Pound Cake

http://ansonmills.com/products/16

Antebellum Fine Yellow Cornmeal
Corn Muffins
Corn and Blueberry Muffins
Hush Puppies
Awendaw Spoonbread
Buckwheat Sablés
Crumiri
Baked Indian Pudding
Colonial Cornmeal Pound Cake

http://ansonmills.com/products/49

Antebellum Coarse White Cornmeal
Boston Brown Bread
http://ansonmills.com/products/15

Native Fine Blue Cornmeal
With coarse flecks of lapis against lavender-hued slate, Appalachian blue cornmeal has historic ties to the foodways of the Carolinas and Georgia that date back to pre-Columbian times. In colonial days, Southern plantation farmers grew kitchen gardens with native corns of many colors for grits and meal. A traditional Native American dumpling and bread meal featuring a kaleidoscope of rich mineral and sweet corn flavors, our Native Fine Blue Cornmeal will fluoresce from deep blue to blue-green or from deep purple to red depending upon the valence of acidity or alkalinity in recipes in which it is used.

Native Coarse Blue Corn Grits
Who said corn is supposed to be white or yellow? Native Americans and European settlers grew corn in every color of the rainbow, and those colors had deep meaning as well as distinct, diverse flavors and aromas. The corn for Anson Mills Native Coarse Blue Corn Grits belongs to the Cherokee Nation in the mountains of the Carolinas. Slow-cooked grits made from this fresh new crop blue corn have the fragrance and taste of mountain terroir and sweet corn, with intriguing background notes of chestnuts. Always soak blue corn grits overnight and use our recipe for Anson Mills Antebellum Coarse Grits. Don’t be tempted to use dairy to cook blue grits, but do whisk butter in at the end.

Colonial Coarse Pencil Cob Grits
Settlers along the southern colonial frontier grew Pencil Cob corn, named for its very narrow cob. When there were no large local mills to produce Pencil Cob grits, milling became part of the daily food chores on the frontier. A small, round, horizontal hand-driven stone mill called a quern mill was the front-yard tool of choice for this food. A quern mill measured up to 20 inches in diameter and was composed of a heavy rotating top stone positioned on a thin, stationary bottom stone. The corn was trickled into a hole on the top of the mill as the upper stone was rotated by hand. With enough effort, grits spilled out the sides. This process was hard work, but the reward was immediate because the grits were milled directly into the cooking pot—an early rustic version of fresh milling. Anson Mills is faithful to this food form. We quern mill these grits by hand to demonstrate why this unusual corn survived into the 21st century. Pencil Cob grits say “corn” in aroma and flavor more boldly than any other grits we produce.

Henry Moore Yellow Hominy Corn
Henry Moore Yellow Hominy Corn is an authentic South Carolina-grown hominy corn bred over 150 years ago. (Classic hominy corns have big, round kernels.) Regular milling leaves Henry Moore cold, so we treat this old heirloom the way it likes to be treated: before harvesting, we let the corn dry on the stalks in the field, and then crib it up for a time thereafter so winter drafts can perform their final subtle drying, kernel by kernel. This process develops lovely flavor characteristics that come out brilliantly complex and satisfying when cooked. We’ve worked with dozens of hominy corns but, in our opinion, Henry Moore is the best one of all.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9281822

Thanks darius. I think I'll be tied up for awhile on this website you shared. Looks like I better get my grinder cleaned and ready.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9281827

Darius, you could use a gluten free flour in place of the pastry flour in those cookies. Nowadays there are quite a few choices out there due to the big news coverage of gluten intolerance. Heck our local WalMart now has a gluten free section. The flour helps stabilize the cookie and shouldn't affect the texture or taste. Just a thought.

Joy

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9281913

Joy, I'm not sure it's gluten that's a problem. I plan to order some Einkorn flour when I get my next SS check. Einkorn is an ancient wheat (with just 14 chromosomes, compared to modern wheat with 42 chromosomes). I'm also going to order some nut flours like almond and chestnut...

yardener, I've spent hours on that site several times!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America