Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bromeliads: Air plant

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 2, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9273124

I have an air plant that is about 4 years old, that's how long ago it flowered. The plant had pups growing but someone else had taken care of it and the plant was not taken care of. Submerged half in water for months and kept in a dark place. The pups rotted and died, the mother plant got pale white and the bottom started rotting.

When I got the plant I removed the pups, rinsed the plant under warm water and using a sponge scrubbed all the gunk off. I removed rotted leaves and trimmed the rotting roots. I let the plant air dry in a warm, sunny area for about 2 days. Over the next weeks I fully soaked the plant for 12 hours, twice a week and left it by a partial sunny window. The plant slowly got greener and the leaves very slowly started growing. When the plant looks dry I'll soak it under water every other day and that seems to be great so it's not bone dry but not rotting from too much water, I fertilized it once with orchid fertilizer and the next month the plant really greened up.

I don't see any new pups and the leaves never turn red signaling flowering, it's been a year since I've cared for it.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9273816

You definitely went out of your way to save the plant. I soak mine in a bowl of water once a week sometime with orchid fertilizer and sometimes without. I leave them on the window cil, but I don't think they get direct sun. I too am an amature learning as I go. Hope you the best of luck.

Old dude, I hope you can lend a helping hand.
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9273976

Only thing I know is not to over fertilize, I read to only fertilize once or twice a year. I'm a novice at them too so hoping experienced caretakers can offer advice.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America