Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

September 12, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9273624

First year with asters and mums, planted them today (with some neon sedum) and find people talking about second-year blooms, which would be terrific!

So when all is said and bloomed, any recommendations for winter survival? Transplanting early winter or early spring or not at all? Covering? Mulching? Pruning?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by etnredclay   Thumbnail by etnredclay
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Emma60
Grassy Creek, NC
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9291928

I don't know if you are talking about hardy mums and asters or the short-lived ones we see everywhere this time of year for sale at grocery stores, Wal-Mart, etc. If you are talking about hardy mums, well, they do fine in the ground or in containers (I have a nursery so have to keep mine that way), and since Tennessee doesn't have a harsh climate, they should do well there, too. If you are talking about the other ones, I have never had luck with them returning whether they are in the ground or in containers. To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure they're supposed to survive. Sorry i can't be more help. I stopped growing those for that very reason.
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

October 1, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9293128

Labels said hardy garden mums, so I'll just treat them like any other perennial and see what happens. THANKS!
myresortonahill
PICKETT, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9372617

I've actually wintered over mums in my basement and garage under lights and then planted them outside the following spring. If the plants aren't over watered, and kept moderately dry, they should thrive the following season outside. Spring is the best time to plant them when the soil warms up and dries out. Great plants! I love them all.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2013
9:22 PM

Post #9569355

I have grown several , some are five or six years old now , Success with all except Football mums ( a zone to far ).
A nice long lasting flower .

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mums and Asters Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mum's the Word... SILLYLILY 18 Nov 23, 2009 6:47 PM
Aster Blue Ribbon Sue_WA 8 Nov 27, 2009 11:54 PM
Pinching back mums...... orange_knickers 11 Aug 17, 2007 5:16 AM
Cutting back fall Asters? rainy_jane 27 Aug 30, 2007 3:26 PM
How many others have lost their mum? leaflady 40 Jul 9, 2007 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America