Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Carolina Gardening: Garzalia, ever heard of it?

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9274362

In a nursery this afternoon, saw a beautiful white blossom that look for the world like a small gardenia, but the plant and leaves are definitely like an azalea. The nurseryman said it is a garzalia ( he says a cross of the 2 plants). It is a beautiful plant that seems to have a high bud count.

I didn't realize the gardenia and azalea could be crossed.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9274794

Sure sounds more like one of the azalea camellias, they are hard to find and even harder to grow. I have not heard of the gardenia crosses but you never know these days.
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9275793

I'm confused, Ardesia - is an azalea camellia a sasanqua? I have been looking at two dwarf sasanqua's and trying to make up my mind...
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9275848

That's a totally new one for me!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9276203

I am on my phone, not my computer and I don't know how to cut and paste a link but if you google "camellia azalea plant" you will see what I am talking about.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9283958

Well! The link I looked at is from Longwood Gardens in PA. I had never heard of this plant before, probably because it's endangered in the wild and there has been limited success in propagating it, either from seed or cuttings.
Camellia azalea is a species native to China. It is a camellia with leaves similar to an azalea, hence the species name.
I also Googled "Garzalia" with no luck.
Barb

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America