Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: need a plant that will choke out poison ivy

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 7, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
muddymom
Bryant, IN

September 14, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9274693

moved into my first home that I own only to find that my back fence is covered in poison Ivy. the fence belongs to a business located in the industrial park behind me and they have no interest in killing off the poison ivy growing rampant on their fence line.
Is there a vine or plant I can grow that will choke out or cover the fence and poison ivy? I live in Indiana zone 5b. I am placing my chicken run and beehives back there so an invasive vine is fine by me.
Chemical spay is not really an option since it does not reach the main plants located on the other side of the fence.
fordpickup
Clinton, IN

October 13, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9304072

Muddymom Roundup will kill the vines and roots . Brush killer 245T will do the trick also, just spray the vines on your side of the fence . It will take about 2 weeks to realy work good. If it shows up again repeat, poison ivy is tough to get rid of. hope this helps Fred
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9304879

I agree with fordpickup. I don't know of anything that can overpower poison ivy--other than something like Round Up. I normally don't like using poisons if I can avoid them but poison ivy is one exception.
Super65
Belton, TX

October 15, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9305760

Since the poison ivy is so established it will probably take a long time to get rid of it by planting a competitor plant, and even if you were somewhat succesful, the poison ivy would remain in some capacity and continue to be a nuisance. Maybe something like english ivy, honeysuckle or wild grape vines could eventually cover it. I'm not sure of Snailseed vine's native range but I have seen it cover up established honeysuckle. Virginia creeper might cover it. You could also plant a thick wall of ligustrum or some kind of hedge, but you'd still have the poison ivy springing up. The best thing to do is to get rid of the poison ivy- I don't know your exact situation but I would spray the poison ivy everywhere, even on their side. If you can't access their side, I would contact the owner and obtain permission or ask if they would exterminate the poison ivy.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9306147

It comes back too, bad as smilax

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9306812

If you don't kill the poison ivy it's just going to keep spreading, if you cut off part of the vine and spray the cut part, it will draw in the chemical and should kill off the plant, also people have also put some pi killer in a can and cut the vine and then stuck the vine down in the can, it draws up the chemicals like it would water and kills the plant
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 23, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9313370

I agree with flowAjen regarding cutting the IVY, in fact I would dress myself in protective clothes and waterproof boots, gloves and face mask and trample, whack with canes and even chop with bread knife as you go along the growth to bruise the growing plant both on the ground and climbing.
After you have completely mangled the greenery, then spray with whatever chemical you choose, as mentioned before, you may have to repeat this every few months as this plant is as tough as old boots.
It may be you need to continue this damage and spray for a good few years but, it will be well worth the trouble.

I would hang off growing anything in that area for a year to make sure you don't have to re-spray next spring when it would be the time you see new growth sprouting from the ground.

I could be wrong but, is not taking responsibility for any poisonous plants that are causing problems for neighbours (like the company over the fence at your area) then you can report them to the local council officers to take action, maybe I'm wrong but it sure is worth a try and the officers may have the proper chemical to get rid of this horrible, vile weed.
Whichever way you decide to go with it, good luck and don't give in to it.
WeeNel..

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9313687

I agree- kill it, you can't outgrow it. In 1983 I bought a lovely property with serious PI infestation. I closed the first week in April, and the leaves had not yet come out when I started cleaning up the grounds. Soon I was covered, arms and face, with a mysterious outbreak. Days later, the mystery was solved, PI. Roundup to the rescue! Very soon, most was cleared. There was a semi- wooded area with thick vines growing up trees and bushy area in clearing that took longer... But I inspected weekly and applied Roundup wherever I saw even a single leaf, and by year 2 there was only the occasional wimpy suggestion of a plant. But be careful of one thing... The first winter I cleared a tangle of old brush and broke out again... Even the dead vines are toxic!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America