AuthorContent

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9275988

Right now there are tons of flittery, fluttery things around. What's buzzing in your garden?

My young duranta is drawing tons of butterflies, my coral vine simply buzzes all day.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9276039

Those are all very pretty Joy.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

September 15, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9276065

Beautiful pictures. The puple caught my eye immediatley.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9276073

Thanks, I have got tons of pictures over the last couple weeks, needless to say my cottage garden is slowly shaping up!

Joy
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

September 16, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9276643

What is the purple flower?

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9276725

The white butterfly (sulphur) is on my duranta, I don't remember the variety but I love the white edged purple flowers. The black swallowtail is on my purple porterweed. Both these are huge favorites wof mine, both were small starter plants this spring and have gotten huge. The duranta is 4' tall and wide, the porter weed is over 5' tall and about 4' wide. Both have been blooming for months with no sign of stopping and are drought tolerant.
Recently bought a lime green duranta and a peach porter weed. Hope they draw the butterflies like the purple does.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

September 16, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9276988

Thanks, I have several duranta and love them, but i have not seen a porterweed before. I will be moving to TX in a couple months and I am looking forward to growing some new stuff.I love your pictures of the butterslies. I have a passion vine that is hosting a bunch of soon to be butterflies.
Desha143
Austin, TX

September 22, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #9283597

Duranta (skyflower) is a big favorite, along with Gregg's Blue Mistflower. They are both butterfly magnets, but the Duranta is especially beautiful and easy to grow and maintain (no deadheading necessary like the MF). I think the skyflower may have had a few more visits by BFs than the MF. The hummers also like the Duranta, and I've witnessed two visits by a Snowberry Clearwing (bumblebee/hummer) moth. When the Duranta quits blooming and dries up, the birdies attack the plants for seeds, so it helps them out, too. The Duranta is not a native plant, but is an adapted plant and listed in the Austin booklet, "Native and Adapted a Landscape Plants (an earthwise guide for Central Texas)." Almost all BF in the garden partakes of the Duranta: Monarchs, Queens, multiple Skippers ( incl. Long-tailed), Duskywings, BST, GST, Crescents, and I'm sure something I can't recall. We've had Bordered Patch on the MF, along with the usual Queens and other BFs.

We planted Pride of Barbados when we were not planting specifically for BFs, just xeroscaping/wildscaping in general and I loved POB. It turns out that the BFs have been nectaring from it. I even saw a Momarch and BST fighting over it. Who knew.

We have had a woefully small number of Monarchs this fall. We purchased multiple Tropical Milkweed plants in antticipation of fall migration. Last year and this summer, between the Queens and Monarchs, all our plants were eaten bare. We had to take cats to friends to whom we had given MW plants. So we bought many MWs this season but we have had too few Monarchs. So far we have tagged and released 4 from our "nursery", we have four chrysalids, some eggs and some tiny cats, all brought in to rear. Nothing like we expected. Oh well, maybe next year.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9284023

How exciting! I prefer heirlooms and natives in my garden but I am willing to make exceptions for exceptional adapted plants that provide food for my flitters.

I have yet to experience any monarchs, but I have several milkweeds and lots of hope. Until last year we weren't on the hummers path, much to my dismay. Last years drought brought us quite a few surprises, including huge swarms of hummers and roseate spoonbills. Both have returned this year in force. We also have more variety in the butterflies than ever before.

We have a couple of PofB that are making a comeback from last year. I will have to keep an eye out for butterflies. Thanks,

Joy

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9284105

Duranta erecta is shown to be native to Texas on the USDA map
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=DUER
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9284796

Hi Desha143!
It's still a little earlier for the big migration across Austin, I think. We usually see them early October to mid-Oct. We didn't have very many last year ( near 360) because we had very little blooming. I think we may have a better turn-out this year, as the drought has lessened a bit and things are budding out and blooming. Years ago, I posted on Dave's about seeing the oak trees in our front yard covered in butterflies. A front was on the way, and the Monarchs were right ahead of it. They were hanging like leaves on top of each other. I've never seen them that concentrated before, but I always watch for them starting in October. If you're already seeing them, I may have to get busy and start watching for them!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9290312

Ok, seen abt the 24th? what is this one, plz they seemed to be drawn to the zinnias

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9290380

It is a Gulf Fritillary.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9290745

Thank you- I wasnt sure

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America