Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Pests and Diseases: Gray fungus? Virus? Looks like burnt wood on Pyracantha

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 0, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
httpmom
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9276292

We bought a sixteen year old house and I am clearing a lot of overgrown landscaping to prepare for a new front yard. I went in to trim and shape a huge old Pyracantha and found the most appalling situation…under the green overgrowth the entire shrub was covered with this ashen gray substance and all the branches looked like they had been in a fire. The main plant looks as if it’s dead. The ashen part of whatever it is, seems to be kind of powdery and it makes a cloud of white when I try to remove the undergrowth. First question…what the heck is it? Second question…is it dangerous to my other landscaping plants or to me? And third question…is there a safe way to get rid of the whole shrub? I live in Livermore Ca and I would hate to find that it could infect neighbors landscaping or escape to damage the many wine grapes that are grown here…any help on this would be very much appreciated!

I will try to post a photo tomorrow.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America