Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Sally's Plant Swap: After Word

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 205, Views: 1,788
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9276439

Good morning all!!! I know some have already started to say some sweet things about yesterday at Sally's, but I thought I might start a new thread where we could all share our thoughts, and where Gita can sharrrrrrrre (heeheeheee) herrrrr photos. =) (rrrrrrrroll those R's Gita!!)

I just don't know where to begin, honestly. This was my first time to one of these amazing events, ... and it really was an "event", at least to me. I was seriously overwhelmed by the general out-pouring of overt lovingness... is that a real word? Well, it is now! I don't know if you all realize just how beautiful you really are, it makes me want to cry (tears of joy!) at being soooo welcomed with such loving open arms, by EVERYONE.

A few key points/people:

Sally, again, THANK YOU, and Happy Birthday!!!!!!! Your home is really lovely, and your DH is a true Gentleman!

Betty, I was soooooooooooooooooo happy to finally get to meet you in person!!!!!! (and give you your BIG HUGS!!) I only wish we'd had more of a chance to sit around and gab more; my goodness I was just floored by .. so much and so many! We'll just have to arrange a get-together! =)

Robin, GOD BLESS YOU a trillion times for letting me follow you to Rt. 3, it could not have been quicker and easier!! I swear I saw your halo twinkling in the setting sunlight as you turned off!! < =D

Gita, I've already told DH about yourrrrrrr MMMMMMMMMMeatballs and that they WILL be on the menu for next week. =)

Coleup... you are just the epitome of COOL. WOW, what a treasure you are!!!

I know I'm missing so many more.. but in my heart, I'm not missing out on prayers of thanks for anyone, honest. Thank you all for the wonderful and wonderous gifts to my ever-growing and ever-improving gardening endeavours, they will be lovingly pampered!! And thank you ALL for such an incredibly wonderful day!!!

Speedie
=)

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9276449

It was an awesome day, and how much nicer with you joining us. I'm really looking forward to visiting with you again at future gatherings.

Sally and her DH made us all feel so welcome, and their yard was perfect for a swap. Such a variety of plants, both in the ground and in pots. And such delicious food. So glad Sally got to enjoy the leftovers for dinner. We were still so full that dinner was skipped at our house last night.

Great to visit with everyone and to see Sally in her tiara. Super day all around.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9276484

It was truly a wonderful day! So enjoyed seeing everyone, great food and great people. Sally and Mark, thank you for hosting, and give Addy a treat for keeping the squirrels at bay.

Speedie, a halo? Boy the sun must have really been in your eyes!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9276519

Wanted to c/p my comments from the old Thread---

I want you all to know how I felt about it too...and still do...
It was Grrrreat---If you are wonderrrring what speedie means by all thode "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's",
we were talking about languages--like my Mother Tongue of Latvian--and I said I had a hard time getting rid of
rolling my "RRRR"s" when I came to the States. Now and then--I still catch myself doing it...:o)
******************************************************************************************************************

What a wonderful, laid back day we all had!!!

Sally, you did an amazing job with the Swap. It just flowed...with NO stress and no "musts"...
We had great food and an amazing surprise for Sally. She was floored!
The weather was perfect--and we all set up in the shade of her trees. Cool!!!

Great yard and lots of room. Easy conversations between all. Moving around was effortless.

We all got to meed Terp--who is a handsome, tall, young man. He fit right in among us "oldies"...
We got to meet Chantelle's nephew--who is intensely interested in plants.
He was going around with his phone asking questions about plants he got--and typing in the information.

All I can say--it was a successful day and Swap. Kudos to you, Sally!!! You GO, Girl!!!!

Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 16, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9276550

A note from the Watts in Crozet VA. John sends word that he had a great time as always. He has sat here for the last hour at least commenting on different things that went on yesterday. He loves you folks. Speedie, my first swap about six years ago I came home feeling the exact same way as you expressed feeling. I had never in my life been around such a kind and giving group of people. I have to admit to having qualms a few times the past week about making the trip. About half way up the road yesterday morning I was still considering asking John to turn around and take me home. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it...am I ever glad I did. For one thing, I didn't want to miss Sally's hosting the event...if there is one person at Dave's I wouldn't want to to disappoint in any way, it would be she.

I would have also missed the chance to meet speedie and terp which would have been very disappointing. Paul, I have to admit to wondering what type of person you would be due to having you participate in the pre-swap chat, but never sharing anything personal about yourself. I was really imagining meeting a shortish in stature, fiftiesh gentleman who was going to prove to be very boring. Boy was I surprised to meet you. Thank you so much for joining us and I hope that you will continue with your plant interest and know that if there is something plant wise you want, Dave's Garden is the place to find it. These folks thrive on sharing.

Susan, what a joy you were to meet. You fit right in with us crazies. I am so glad that you enjoyed yourself as much as you have said. I don't have to tell you that you aren't going to find finer people anywhere...remember we each have our own little oddities, but that makes us, us.

I also want to take the opportunity to thank those of you who seem to look out for me in terms of making paths safe for walking, and offering seats and the other many ways you folks made me feel cared for. Pat and Pippi both went out of their way in offering a helping hand, and I do very much appreciate your efforts on my behalf. I am like speedie and could comment on each and every one of you and the special things you did yesterday to make me feel a member of your family. I really enjoyed talking with those of you I had a chance to talk to, and sorry if I missed chatting with anyone. I noticed that Mark that had a smile on his face every time I saw him yesterday, and I am glad that he seemed to be enjoying himself.

Sally, I am with the others who think you have a great place for a swap. I loved seeing your gardens and the many unusual plants you have. Gosh, that cactus at the corner of your house was truly amazing!!! Thank you and Mark so much for hosting this event. It was a great get toghether.

To each that shared their plants with us...thank you, thank you, thank you. I know that I will have lots of fun when I go later to find suitable homes for them all.

Jan, I really look forward to attending the swap at your place next spring. Yep, gonna really work on making that happen. Until we meet again, you all take good care and I hope that everyone has a great week coming up. Happy planting all.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9276557

Speedie, thanks for starting our followup thread!

Judy thanks for linking us to it from that lengthy discussion thread- it was about to sink under its own weight!

Everybody- thanks so much for coming here and so many nice comments and for wearing yhosr special glasses that make bugs and plant disease invisible
B-)

And your incredible surprise and giving me that queen for a day feeling

And all the pitching in helping each other with plants, lots of lifting going on there
And all the great food!! My oh my , you all did the work there!
Oh heres more to say but i'm still in shock over the fun we had...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 16, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9276560

Sally, you deserve a Queen of Everyday title. I personally think you are the greatest!!!

Ruby
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9276575

Ruby said it all: "Queen of Everything" to you, Sally! We had a great time -- I'm so sad we had to arrive late and leave early, but I loved every minute of it. Sally -- your gardens are wonderful. Thank you to everyone for your generosity! I don't know quite how I came home with so many beautiful plants!

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 11:09 AM
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9276596

And to all our kindred spirits, past, present and future, near at hand or far afield, well met or about to meet, what joy comes when our paths cross and tarry for a while and that we recognize each other..bliss! One of my perennial favorites:

"And a youth said,
- Speak to us of Friendship!
And he answered, saying:
Your friend is your needs answered.
He is your field which you sow with love
and reap with thanksgiving.

And he is your board and your fireside.
For you come to him with your hunger,
and you seek him for peace.

When your friend speaks his mind you fear
not the "nay" in your own mind,
nor do you withhold the "ay".
And when he is silent your heart ceases
not to listen to his heart;
For without words, in friendship, all thoughts,
all desires, all expectations are born and shared,
with joy that is unacclaimed.
When you part from your friend, you grieve not;
For that which you love most
in him may be clearer in his absence,
as the mountain to the climber
is clearer from the plain.

And let there be no purpose in friendship
save the deepening of the spirit.
For love that seeks aught but the disclosure
of its own mystery is not love but a net cast forth:
and only the unprofitable is caught.

And let your best be for your friend
seek him not with hours to kill
Seek him always with hours to live.
For it is his to fill your need,
but not your emptiness.
And in the sweetness of friendship
let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.
For in the dew of little things
the heart finds its morning and is refreshed."

From The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

I humbly and gratefully remain a very refreshed Judy

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9276616

I have been spending the past days with my friend, Millie, who will have her double mastectomy tomorrow. We have been best friends since 5th grade. We hugged and cried together as we read this. Thanks for the beautiful post.

On the bright side, it sounds like you all had the usual WONDERFUL time that is germane to the MAG swaps!! See you all next time with Millie in tow.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 11:20 AM

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9276633

Our Reigning Hostess and Birthday Gal SallyG!

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Click the image for an enlarged view.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9276638

SSGardener and Chantell show their grief to learn that some knave had snuck in the food tent and eaten everything before the appointed meal time. Ric seemed suspiciously pleased, while Ruby, John, ecnalg (Pat), Happy w/DH and Aspenhill mope with glasses of water and empty stomachs.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9276650

Newcomer UMD_Terp (Paul) worships at the swap's alter under the watchful gaze of acolyte Gita.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9276652

Greenthumb99 -- you nailed it!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9276653

Appointed by Queen SallyG as swap bouncer, Paul keeps remorseful Ric away from the dessert table.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9276660

Coleup and lively newbie Speediebean, Donnerville, and Queen SallyG herself seem pleased by the turn of events as others return from successful foraging at nearby Wawa and Taco Bell.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99      

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9276666

Heehee

I will jump in and say it was a ' top ten ' kind of day. From the food to the plants to the friends to the weather. Just AWESOME!!!!! It reinforced my thinking that I am sooooo glad I found DG.

I agree: Sally should be the queen of every day!!!

Already looking forward to next May. Glad some of you have kinfolk nearby so you can make a weekend of it.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9276677

In a star chamber session Queen SallyG listens as Aspenhill, Jan23 and Ecnalg share their indignation and demand justice. Happy_Macomb (Devon) and DH look on approvingly as Ric is staked to an ant hill.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99         

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9276766

R O F L !!!!!!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9276786

I enjoyed every minute. The food and company exceeded my expectations. I look forward to the next one.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9276849

Yay! More pork!!!

(oops did i say that out loud?)

Happy to report Terp had a nice haul for his wooded lot dry shade under trees.

Who made that wonderful fruit and angel food cake? I didnt hear and wanna know!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9276859

David, you got some great pictures, but it is your captions that have me laughing. What a quick wit and sense of humor. I had a wonderful time. It is always so good to get together, and great to meet the newcomers Paul (terp) and Susan (speedie). Sally's place was perfect for a swap, and the weather couldn't have been any nicer. Best day I've had in a long time. I'm sorting thru the pictures I took, and will get them posted soon.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 5:52 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9276866

Someone must have "fixed" my ice tea, I don't remember any of that. Did I enjoy myself? Ric

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9276882

Ric, I think the "fix" in your ice tea gave you super human powers - look how effortlessly you were striding around with a table over your head - now there is a man on a mission. Jan is in awe LOL

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 6:07 PM

Thumbnail by aspenhill

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9276885

Queen Sally with her crown and sceptor, sitting on her throne.

Thumbnail by aspenhill

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9276891

Thank you all for the wonderful plants and yummy food.

Judy, that garlic tasting was so much fun! Honestly, where else in the world would I get to participate in a garlic tasting! I'm planning on getting some Music garlic and planting them this fall. (See you on the garlic thread!)

Chantell, it was great meeting your nephew. I hope he comes to more swaps!

Sally, thank you for your hospitality! The shady sitting area was just perfect. I didn't get a chance to compliment you on your new kitchen! I bet you're happy that's all finished. :)

Paul and Logan, thank you for helping us load/unload our cars! Speedie, it was great to finally meet you! I don't think I could have gotten those bamboo sticks in my car without your help.

Holly, all the cannas are in the ground! It took me about an hour to dig into my clay, but they're in there and ready to put on more growth before the frost hits. And the giant hosta is also in the ground. Btw, is your clay really that red? It's interesting how different it looks/feels from the yellow clay that I have.

Finally, thank you all the birthday surprise organizers!

edit: Oops, got the names confused!

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 7:16 PM

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9276950

Our wonderful hosts Sally and Mark, and Addy too!

Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill      

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9276951

Good food, good times...

Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill      

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9277055

Oh yes our clay really is that red, and hard.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9277072

Very fun captions. Gracious, I did look like I was demanding justice, which is sooo not like me.
Great fun replaying moments in my head. Thank you for posting pictures everyone.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9277171

Great play by play...glad you all enjoyed yourselves, sorry I missed it!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9277213

I will try to post my pictures tomorrow. Seems we all took similar shots...
Will postdifferent ones--if I have any.

I just got home from work around 9:30 and am bushed----
Store meeting and Crab Feast--plus working from 12-7 and then all the meeting and crabs til 9PM...
LONG day!

Bedtime...Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9277248

Greenthumb99: I hereby nominate you as the official swap narrator.

Ric: You seemed to be having a wonderful time, even when the ants were swarming over you. We couldn't figure it out. Must have been whatever was in that iced tea. Holly finally rescued you, at the command of Queen Sally.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9277293

Roses - prayers headed out to you and your friend...asking God's strength, comfort and healing... Missed you, Bec and Jill yesterday - hugs to each of you!!!

Not only late to the swap but now late checking in...seriously the side tour through DC was NOT planned nor wanted. Worked both jobs today so...my plants sit outside waiting patiently to be tended to. First a huge thanks to Sally and DH for such a beautiful place to have our get together. I wish I could've spent more time looking at those gorgeous plants you all have around your house!!! Second...I want to thank each of you for providing such a warm DG welcome to my nephew. He was SOOO excited. I wish I'd had more time to talk to everyone...but he (as Gita found out) was full of questions - gotta love it! On the way home he was mentioning many of you by name - esp wondering if those of you with packed cars made it home ok...LOL Wish y'all could've seen my BIL's face when he saw Logan's stash of plants!!!

David - I was reading your captions and laughing so hard - I snorted...seriously! Thought my tea was going on to the laptop!! Then I laughed even more b/c I pictured Pat nodding her head saying 'pay backs for almost decapitating me with the bamboo."

Oh and for each of you (btw, thank you speedie for putting up with my teasing - when we were both trying to unload our stash of pots) that graciously took my years and years (they breed, I tell you!) of pots and supplies - I and each member of my tribe thank you!!! Holly - I forgot the orchid stuff, I think...please remind me for the next one.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 11:01 PM

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
3:05 AM

Post #9277431

Oh my GOSH, I LOVE starting out my day Laughing my Head Off like this!!!!!!! What wonderful captions for the pictures!!! I second the nomination for greenthumb as Official Swap Narrator!!

Gita, next time we talk, I want to hearrrrrrrrr morrrrre Rrrrrrrrrr's, please. =)

Chantell, I believe you, they do breed!!!! I swear, when I got home, I had MORE pots on the shelves than when I left the house!!!!!! < =/ (they must be part rabbit)
Note to self and everyone else: Next Swap, I will NOT bring pots unless someone specifically asks me to! =P heeheeheee.

Roses, yes Ma'am, I am in agreement on those prayers for Millie, AMEN!!! And I will REALLY be looking forward to meeting her when you bring her to the next get-together! =D (and you too, of course, heeheeheee)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9277457

I was laughing so hard Ric could hear me whooping from the front porch. Love the narration Greenthumb.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9277527

So, all in favor of green thumb as official narrator. Say AYE. Not even gonna ask if any are opposed. I was so glad I didn't have any liquid in my mouth as I read. Heehee.

This truly is family. Everybody burst into song ala Pointer Sisters. We are f a m i l y...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9277528

Wasn't that so funny? Me too!

Special mention to Judy coleup for that great screened gazebo! I've never seen one of those, but it goes up similar to a tent, with poles linked by bungees. It was easy to put up and so roomy. Two thumbs up!

Predicting rain tomorrow, good for the new plants. I started yesterday but just as far as taking out weeds and dying things to get space ready.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9277581

It was wonderful day!!! I enjoyed every moment of it. It was great seeing everybody and meeting new friends.

Many thanks to Sally for hosting the swap.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9277591

OK--Will now see what pictures I can add--without duplicating things too much.
So many of my pictures turned out too dark--as a result of the bright, sunny background.
Seems I do not have the option on my camera to compensate that.
Too much work to go to Adobe Photo Shop and fix this.

1--Yours Truly
2--4-man job putting up Holly and Ric's gazebo...
3--A view towards the house and the dining area
4--The shady area under the trees most of us set up our tables. So nice to be in shade!
5--Chantelle brought her own tree--a gift to sally (Plumeria)

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9277596

Now for some people shots---

1--John and Teri
2--Sally and robin (catbird)
3--Holly and Judy (coleup) at her loot
4--David (greenthumb) minus beard. We all agreed he looks super!
5--Donner, Chantelle, coleup and speedie

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9277601

1--Mark and David in deep talks
2--Pat, david and Holly
3--Pippi and Jan
4--Ric--obviously, stil alive...
5--Sally and Devon (Happy)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9277608

1--Susan (speedie) and Pippi'd Husband
2--Susan--enjoying some of the good food.
3--ssgardener (terri)
4--Paul (terp) signing sally's card. Had to sneak everyone to my table to get everyone to sign.
5--Once more--sally was trying to get the gift table thing going...as things were "delayed"
bu all the celebration to yet come...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9277611

1--Paul--our "Happy Birthday" song leader...Ahh--Sally--Gotchya!!"
2--Sally's Royal Throne--properly presented.
3--And her Royal Highness--properly seated...
4--Princess sally...All smiles...and being a good sport.
5--Hmm--and what is THIS inside the Throne?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9277624

1--AHHH! One of the cutest things inside the Throne...it had many gifts in it.
2--This too. NO! Sally!!! it is for plants--NOT surgery!
3--Sally and her Birthday cake
4--Getting a first look at The Card...
5--O bouquet of flowers--that came with the cakes...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9277627

Some plants and flowers around Sally's garden.

1--Hmmm----forgot the name...
2--Castor Bean plant
3--Castor Bean flowers--Pretty!
4--Blue flower by house
5--Passion Vine bloom

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9277632

1--Pink caladium
2--Sally's Wintersweet Shrub. Hey, Paul--this is about 4-5 years old? Sally--yes?
3--Happy brought me a BIG rock! It will find a perfect spot in my garden...
4--Remnants of the garlic tasting...
5--coleup--the Garlic Girl--decrees them all yummy! Finger-licking good.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9277637

That's all!

Now--Chantelle--remember how I was telling you that my pictures all seem to have a haze over them.
Like--somewhat out-of-focus? Do you see what I was talking about? Any ideas? Any suggestions?

I can think of, maybe, one reason. I like to take my pictures fast--so as not to get people to freeze smiles
or become too aware that they are being photographed.
Perhaps i am not giving my camera a chance to focus?????? I have a Nikon Coolpix--4100.

Guilty! I haven't yet read the whole manual not looked at the CD's that came with it...poo on me!

Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 17, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9277768

Along with greenthumb narrating a comical tale, he also has amazing photography powers because I didn't realize he even had a camera that day. I never once saw him snapping any photos. Good work David. It sounds as though once again every one attending had a blast. These things are so much fun and I am so glad that I fought my isolating tendencies and attended this.

Thanks to all who shared photos. We own a camera but don't often remember to bring it along with us. Oh well, I can always copy those taken by you folks if I want a copy. Sally and Mark, I hope there wasn't too much clean up work to be done after all was said and done.

I am so happy that both Ric and Holly were over whatever had them ailing earlier and that they were able to make it. Jan, I am really looking forward to attending your planned spring swap. Yep, am marking the calendar now. My motto...will travel for plants.

Chantell, I too was quite impressed with your nephew and his love of plants. How refreshing to have a youngster interested in botany versus some of the other things boys his age might be getting in to. Since arriving home I have seen several unusual and odd sorts of plants that he would love and hope to have an opportunity next spring to get some to him. Did he get one of Gita's Pregnant Onions? That is a must for his collection.

I did a bit of potting up of swap plants yesterday. So much fun to get lost in the land of playing gardener. I have a to do list that is a mile long for today, but I may poo poo it all and go out and play in the dirt again later.

Thanks to all for the great fun and laughs. Have a great day everyone.

Ruby
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9277790

Woot, woot, Ruby!!! I think many of us would travel for plants. Heehee. Only 8 months til then.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9277809

Lol Jan! Can't wait to shoot up there the Eastern Shore way. So easy from Annapolis. All you DC suburb types (VA, too ) should consider this alternative to 95.

I'm currently taking reservations for "The Screened Garden Gazeebo" which I premiered at Sally's. Book early (and Often).
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9277956

Whewwwww I just put all the perennials in the ground. What anarchy! I was telling sally on Sunday that I am not the best with labels but I think after this plant swap I might have to start a little journal or something of the like.

Can't wait to see them pop up next year!!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9277961

aw, you just have to stay buddies with us cuz we know them...
BY the way- Corydalis, the little ferny looking seedling that you noticed by the rocks=
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/828/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9278036

Sally--

The leaves on the Corydalis look just like a Bleeding heart's. Did you think that also?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9278047

Jill---

Lets have some fun...

Tell Joyanna that Miss Gita "neeeeds" to know how to plant and grow the plant that she gifted me.
The tag says: SIB "Bundle of Joy"...snowpeak. Could she explain to me what SIB means?
I DO NOT, really, know what that is either. Looks like an iris???

Do not help her--just write down HER directions verbatim. You can bring up things I may need to know,
then listen for what she is saying...Then post her directions here...

This could turn out very funny...Thanks, Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9278364

Gita, i noticed tonight that Corydalis IS in the same family as Bleeding hearts- good eye. Did you see donner's pink one she posted on flower thread?
Cant wait to see how joyannas instructions come out
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9278459

Effortlessly, my dance card was filled front and back with remarkable moments. Thank you Sally for turning stress into casual ambience where each could seek and find their own level...Just like your gardening style you found a place for us all and under your graciousness we were a garden and not a hodgepodge collection.

I hope that our comments and pictures help you refocus your free range gardening style for the uniquness it is and the inspiration to plant it if we like it or it interests us or a friend passes it on to us. A real bloom where you are planted way about you Sally!

One "remarkable moments" for several of us has to do with Addy. Ssgardener was filling us in on the scarry dogs and neighbors that keep her yardening activities limited by fear for her personal safety when outside. As she was describing the 'weapon' she carries with her whenever outside, Addy came out of nowhere and began licking her face!

I'll leave it to ss to say what that meant to her, but to me Addy's kiss was a "Mommy kiss it and make it better" apology for all scary dog behavior and a promise that all will be better soon. Cool dog and her people are pretty cool, too!

This message was edited Sep 18, 2012 12:54 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9278492

Gita, "SIB" is a Siberian Iris. 'Bundle of Joy' is the cultivar and the reason we figured you needed a piece from your JOYful little garden friend. I got wonderful big clumps from Denise at Showpeak, big enough to plant, pot up a spare, and still find an extra piece to share! Joyanna did help me plant them... she helps dig the holes... "nice and wide, because the roots need room to go." and she sprinkles moisture crystals and fertilizer pellets very carefully in the holes, them helps break up the clumps of dirt to pat a little mound aroung them. Lately she's been very enamored of that lovely dark crumbly stuff... she shows it to me and declares,. "This dirt has a lot of worm poop, Mommy! The plant will love it!"

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #9278548

Sally, I'm now convinced Addy is a psychic dog. Just when I was saying I'd have to no choice but to use the hori hori knife on the dogs if they jumped the fence and attacked me, Addy came over and started licking me. I was very tense and upset while talking about those dogs, and it's as if Addy wanted to make me feel better.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9278613

@Addy. That was a very sweet moment and I got goosebumps when she did that. I know ssgardener will not soon forget it.

@Joyanna's instructions. Love them. Gita, make sure you follow them to a 'T'. Heehee
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9278626

Sally- Very nice. Looks more like a fringed bleeding heart. I have a number of the regular pink bleeding hearts and a few whites or albas, I just got a fringed bleeding heart and "squirrel corn" this year. That is A reason to stay in touch but there are many reasons.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9278685

Speaking of Miss Addy...sorry Addy not so great with cell phone

Thumbnail by Chantell

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9278714

Paul- you're well represented in that group then, nice.
ssgardener- and all-- you might enjoy the book The Art of Racing In The Rain- Garth Stein- it's told by a dog who understands almost everything that happens in his beloved owners life. Some very sad parts but more heartwarming in the ending. And it really makes you wonder how much a dog might understand LOL

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9278777

ssgardener wrote:Sally, I'm now convinced Addy is a psychic dog. Just when I was saying I'd have to no choice but to use the hori hori knife on the dogs if they jumped the fence and attacked me, Addy came over and started licking me. I was very tense and upset while talking about those dogs, and it's as if Addy wanted to make me feel better.

I have to agree, I just KNOW she knew what you were talking about and came over to reassure you of what normal doggie behavior is, and to kiss you to make it all better. =)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9279273

"The SAGA of sally's Left Arm" is finished.

Hope you enjoy and have a few snickers--- Gita

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1280716/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9279309

That was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!!!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9279364

I bet you'd give your right arm to see another story so funny...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9279367

I don't get it, happy!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9279432

Hahahaha

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9279537

Becky needs prayer...please and thank you http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1280766/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9280474

Hey- some of us found a tobacco hornworm on donner's brug--Terri ssg named it for us. Anyway, remember it had no cocoons? By Monday it had a few. By today, it has about thirty cocoons on it, and getting pretty shrively too you can imagine. Fascinating.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9280909

You mean the parasitic wasp "cocoons?"

Thumbnail by critterologist

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9281129

Gross!!! So the hornworm came from my garden (rode in my car!!!). I can't believe that you didn't get rid of it right away when it didn't have cocoons. Oh well, it is wasp food now.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9281658

Donner, that "gross" critter does turn into a really cool moth... http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1270/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9281698

Yup that. I can never decide between cool moth or cool parasitic wasps so i tend to let mother nature decide.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9282033

Mine's slowly moved from the pepper plants to the Datura - covered just the same. Kinda feel bad for the guy...ugh

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9282492

Got more stuff planted today- THanks all!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 22, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9282985

I potted a few of the more tender house plants I received last weekend on Sunday. Since then haven't really had a chance to spend much time at all playing in the dirt. Am hoping to go out later and tend to some other new plants that need my attention too. Good grief do I have a lot of house plants. I am really looking forward to bringing them indoors soon. Hoping to possibly start doing it later today or tomorrow.

Gosh, it has been a gorgeous week for the most part and the cooler temperatures are wonderful. I look back longingly to last Saturday's event. Kind of a let down to be sitting here alone this morning and not having any number of great conversationalists to jibe with. Sally, just recalling the inviting feel one gets upon entering your garden space is a good feeling. I didn't really tour the grounds, but the unusual and very interesting plants I saw on the paths I took were lots of fun to see. I was quite pleased to see the Coleus rootings I gave you at Ric and Holly's were front and center at your place. I hope that you enjoyed them as much as I have my own this year. I have quite a few pots of it that were lots of fun this summer but they are now showing their age and the stress they were under at times. I haven't quite decided how I will go about trying to save rootings for next spring. No way that I can bring all the pots back inside. Last winter I had one pot with both of the two types of Coleus in it and it did well surviving. Hope to have the same luck this year.

Anyway...hope that all readers are having a wonderful day. The weather couldn't be better for being out and about, even if out and about is just a trip to the screen porch and the front deck. hahaha Happy gardening all.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9283042

Ruby, that 'Electric Lime" coleus is worth keeping over! Very pretty coleus. Did the Easter cactus survive its trip home with you? I told you they were big! A reminder that we have a whole thread in our forum devoted to Holiday Cactus for any questions you or Pippi who took cuttings, might have.
Here is the link to the thread already on part 5 and probably in need of a part 6!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243875/

If any one (Speedie) has or is taking coleus cuttings now to winter over, I would suggest that on the nights when temps drop below 60 that you bring them in for the night or they will be mopey about putting out roots. Any mature plants of coleus of course are fine outside for a good while longer as their growth has already slowed.

Speaking of threads, and over wintering plants, I know I promised several of you that I would post my methods ( what works for me) of over wintering elephant ears and bananas. Honest, I'll try to do this this weekend!

Judy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9283050

WOW!!

I went over to Terri's yesterday (Aspenhill), and I came home with a bounty of plants! EEs, Gita's wandering jew, a mum I'll try to do better with, a beautiful pot of goldenrod from David (yes, they perked right up), 2 sweet plants from Sally (pale snake plant and a round-leafed mother of thousands), and I know there are others that I can't recall names of... oh, and Garlic! :-)

Coleup, you'll love that Joyanna hopped into her car seat, peered next to her, and sang out, "ooh! a baby crepe myrtle!!" That's my girl. Those are beautiful little trees; thanks for "scoring" them for me!

Gita, Joyanna totally adores that pink pot... you are so sweet to send something special like that just for her. We'll have to find just the right thing to put in it... I'll post a photo when we do! Her curly spider plant looks great, and any time it comes inside she's quite careful to put it where Eliot (who has an inexplicable taste for spider plants) can't reach it.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9283057

anybody near me (or near enough LOL) who "needs" more plants... I just placed an order with Santa Rosa Gardens... they're clearancing a bunch of stuff for $2-3... I got lovely plants from them this spring. I've already paid the flat rate shipping, and I can add to my order for another week or two (as long as supplies last!) since I picked an Oct. shipping date.

:-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9283073

Can't believe I even looked...28 pages worth of clearance/ sale stuff. Something for everybody!
No seriously I am not in the market.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9283336

Judy, thank you for mentioning the Coleus babies, I am new to Coleus cuttings and have no idea what "Lows" to be on the lookout for. I've checked my overnight temps for tonight... but now of course I don't remember what they are expected to be, so I will check again. =/ THANK YOU!! All but 2 of the cuttings are rooting well so far, they feel snug when given a gentle tug. The 2 in question got knocked over by errant skwirrells. Grrrrr. That's ok, not a bad rate, over all. =) (and besides, those 2 were from my own plants anyhow, heeheeheee).

Ok, off to check the weather again and respond accordingly. :)

EDIT: Low expected to be 56 degrees. Babies are now inside. =)

This message was edited Sep 22, 2012 6:36 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9283637

This is the potted plant that several of you nice people noticed, near the maple tree on the bench- Rattlesnake Plant
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/128778/
I'll be sure to divide next spring.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9284499

Sally -- it was really eye catching. I wish I could take care of house plants. I do ok until the holidays come, and then I get too busy and forget to water...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 25, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9285823

Oh yeah, raising hand for a slip of the rattlesnake plant.

Coleup, I didn't get a chance to read anything at Dave's until dusk yesterday. One of the threads I was reading there was much comment on how tender some Coleus are and so after spending most of the afternoon bringing at least half of my houseplants indoors, I had to head outside and take cuttings of the the Electric Lime and Henna Coleus and get them indoors. I have heard weather reports of being in the mid thirties here this week, so really don't want to take a chance on losing anything. Later today the remainder of the houseplants will be brought inside. I can once again claim to live in a jungle.

Happy, I recall some times last winter what a chore I had with watering my many plants. It is so easy when they are outside and I can just turn on the water hose and make everyone happy very quickly usually. About two hours in to indoor watering, I begin to question my sanity. I do admit to going a bit overboard on watering and could probably do bit less of it when the plants are inside.

I was thinking earlier that I wanted to mention to both Happy McComb and to Terp how happy I am to see them both posting. I missed you Happy for the while you were inactive and really like having you back. There are several plants at my home that came from you at pasts swaps. Terp, I wondered if you would return after meeting this crew at the swap. You have been posting, so I suppose we didn't scare you too badly. hahaha

Happy gardening all.

Ruby
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9285841

Thanks Ruby -- the feeling is mutual!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9285993

Thanks Ruby. Scare me off?!? I felt very comfortable at the swap, it was great. I wish I was there longer so I could chat with everyone. There are many things to learn, experience, and experiment with. I was happy that I was able to contribute plants and inspire Gita to start Persian shield cuttings! I've got the bug to try and overwinter more of the coleus this year so that'll be interesting.

While I am here, does anybody have any experience with Abelias?
http://gurneys.com/fragrant-abelia/p/73970/

I am trying to redo a bed for a friend's mother and am looking for a good easy foundation plant, she shut down my late blooming azaleas which were extremely cheap. She claims the blooms don't last long enough. Of course they do, there are cultivations that bloom for a month putting out buds slowly and as we all know the encore series there are azaleas that bloom in the fall, and repeat bloom!! I apologize for the tangent, I wasn't very happy at the time. Anyway it is the bed has very rich soil and is pretty moist from a downspout that I'm diverting, faces south but it is shaded by old tree that is very holey. I wouldn't plant anything that needs full sun there and I wanted something easy and maintenance free. My other thoughts were a Viburnum.

Second question for all the shade gardeners. My neighbor recently gave up on a patch of lawn that just won't grow any grass. He is going to make it a shade garden but he is a big xeriscape person. I recommended the usual physcandra, ferns, and hostas but I couldn't really think of anything else. I think he wants more of a groundcover than a perennial bed.

My false shamrock bloomed somebody gave from the swap!!! Who was it!!! Check it out.

Aspenhill, I would LOVE your shade garden. Definitely my style.

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9286001

Personally, I think Abelias look kind of mangey, but I know a lot of people love them.

I love Deutzias, though.

I wouldn't recommend Pachysandra for xeriscaping, because it needs occasional watering based on my experience: We had a big patch of it that looked awful. We never watered it -- I didn't think it needed it. I thought the reason it didn't thrive was that there was something wrong with the soil. This summer we started watering it (we weren't trying to solve the pachysandra problem but were watering some grass nearby) and all of a sudden the pachysandra is looking green and starting to spread. So I wouldn't recommend it for true xeriscaping around here.

Ajuga is pretty tough stuff.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9286031

Hmm..thanks for your input Happy! That's interesting, we never water our pachysandra and it looks great that's why it was my intial thought.

I have never seen Abelias. I just came across it and since it isn't my house or my money wouldn't mind experimenting! But that is good to know since all she wants is for it to look pretty.

Ajuga is tough stuff but the area is ~150 square feet, that's a lot of Ajuga. I just thought of foam flowers or Tiarellas mixed in with some ferns and varigated liropie.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9286082

150 square feet IS a lot. The ajuga that I have could fill that in a year or two, though. (Maybe my pachysandra gets too much sun (it doesn't get a lot, but it faces the street) for how much I was watering. Or maybe it IS the soil.)

There is always Vinca -- I like the pretty flowers in the spring.

Whatever you put there will take a few years to fill in, and he'll need to be prepared to weed in the meantime.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9286086

Liriope would work well, but one thing that comes to my mind is Plumbago, Ceratostigma plumbaginoides . Here's a pic of mine after just a year and a half. This started from 2 4" pots. It's in FULL shade, it gets maybe 1/2 an hour of first-thing-in-the-morning 'incidental' dappled sun (and I mean FIRST morning, like 6:30, if I hold my arms out just so, heehee), and I think I've watered it maybe twice the whole time it's been there. (I told you guys, I'm a very lazy gardener!!) =O

Sorta hard to tell from the pic, but the patch is about a foot deep by about 3 feet across. Just another idea. I'm hoping that one day it'll spread to dominate the whole neighborhood!! Muahahahahaaa. =D

Thumbnail by speediebean

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9286105

Not an expert on this----but there IS a "Shade gardens Forum". Maybe that would help?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/shady/all/

Also--you could go back to all the Articles that have been written--and I betcha there is some on Shade Gradening.

Hmmm--One plant comes to mind--and donner (Sally) has it. It is called-???????? (senior moment!...)
aka as perennial Forget-Me-Not. It blooms just like the regular F.M.N.--and the leaves are nice and heart-shaped...
and a muted green. It loves shade too.

You may have to think mixing different plants in that area--as it will be hard to fill a 150sf area with just one plant.

Good luck! Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9286193

Gita; Brunera?

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9286206

Sweet Woodruff makes a nice ground cover in shade and does not need attention once established. A purchased pot of it can be deconstructed and many sprigs derived from it. Individual sprigs planted 6-8 inches apart can cover an area in a single season.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9286208

Ah yes I believe I got some sweet woodruff at the swap. Thanks for the ideas.

Well Gita I like to hangout here in the MAG forum but if you insist on me leaving...

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9286219

We have a lot of Vinca that does not ever get watered and is in the shade. Sure workswell as ground cover, but it does spread. We could even spare some!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9286242

Terp - Whatever you talk your neighbor into should take into account how close your neighbor is. If the neighbor is next door you need to be more cautious for your yard's sake than if there is a street between you. ;-) By the way, ecnalg (Pat) is understating when she say we could "spare some". We could "spare" 150 sq ft and not even notice it gone.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9286248

There is acually common ground between us but I'm not concerned about his attentiveness to his beds.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions so far.
Sweet woodruff
Vinca
Plumbago
Forget me nots..

Great ideas.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9286285

Chuckling on sparing some vinca. That was sooo polite. Hehehe

I have admired sweet woodruff and mine must not like it's location. Or else it is just taking it's time settling in that spot. That is the neat thing about gardening. It's having fun experimenting.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9286444

Terp---

What do you mean by "If I insist on you leaving:????? Where did that come from?
Was it because I posted the link to the Shade Gardening Forum?? Just being helpful--
as if you would not have thought of that yourself.

I, kind of, take things literally...Hope that is all it was...Phew!
Gita

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9286461

I was joking Gita...

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions I think that is why we are all here.

Smile!

This message was edited Sep 25, 2012 9:35 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9286477

OK! I forgive you!!!!

Many people have different ideas of "humor"----many times I "fall for it"--and then think---
"What the H-ll did he mean by that????

Hope you DO hang around! I have been here so long--I no longer know what my life would be like
without Dave's Garden--seriously!

I don't Blog--I don't Twitter--I don't Facebook--or any other "Social Media"...Too old for all that.

I have DG! That enriches my life to no extent. Both the giving--and the taking...and the virtual and real
friendships that have formed because of it.

See? Now I started being serious...Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9286536

UMD Terp, My whole yard is shade and some of it is garden. Just wanted to respond to your query on abelia.

I really like my two abelia bushes, which bloom from May til frost and most seasons stay evergreen for me. Butterflies and bees love the blooms. They are exceedingly easy care and deer leave them alone.

All of that being said, I think they were overused in public plantings because they survive so well with minimal care, but were trimmed into hedge form rather than let grow naturally into a loose form not unlike forsythia. As a beautiful foundation planting, abelia wouldn't be very formal or structural, but does well for me in dappled morning sun. There is a variagated form that I have just seen this year.

A good Knockout or shrub rose might do as well, Double knockout Red is the most shade tolerant and has continued to bloom (not prolifically) in limited sun locations in my yard,

Sometimes I think a well placed man made structural element with a seasonal vine or planters for annuals can do what no plant/shrub can do to add interest, color and 4-season appeal to a 'foundation', and help to ground a house to its lot.

And, while I'm rambling, sight and site unseen, 150 feet of what will grow where grass will not sameness is not in nature's playbook. But I await more info except to say plant bulbs, bulbs, bulbs to pop up in all that sameness! Good luck.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9286651

Coleup-

Thank you for your advice. I am going to plant some roses and I am planning to have some spring bulbs and annuals towards the front. Just can't figure out what to plant at the foundation. From your description the abelia is definitely going on my personal want list. It is what I had hoped, 4 seasons. Perhaps a serrata hydrangea and or viburnum.

Re the non grass wasteland, making it a mixture of bulbs is a great idea too especially since it is the front of the house. Thanks!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9286712

Paul, I'm glad you want to try abelia. Evidently there are many forms. Mine are old bushes I rescued from an about to be torn down house, so I don't know what mine are. If you remind me, I could bring a cutting from mine for you to the upcoming swaps.

Or, as an alternative, maybe a bunch of us could go in together and buy this nursery in the Charlottesville area!
http://www.nurseryforsale.com/

Or, just place an order

http://www.lazyssfarm.com/Plants/Shrubs/A-Ch Shrubs/shrubs_trees_A-B.htm
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9286728

Judy,

Lazy ss is for sale, I know. That is where I first came across them. I would love to take you up on that offer of cuttings I'll investigate further. Very fun!

This message was edited Sep 26, 2012 9:52 AM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9286755

I didn't realize LazyS is for sale -- that's too bad. A nice company.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9286760

Happy-

I agree it is sad. I would hope that they have that up just so that they appear to OPEN to ideas and proposals and that they aren't seriously looking for a buyer. You never know though. I love their selection and service too, it would be a shame to lose them.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9286761

I wish I felt like running a nursery...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9286801

I agree...lots and lots to do, think about it, stress about constantly. The two largest initial hurdles are financial investments in land and a water. Simple enough!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9286873

Happy, I DO feel like running a nursery! Since I have had the privilege of working for three similar to Lazy S nurseries (One mail order, one retail and one wholesale specialty grower supplying local big box outlets) I've learned some of the requirements first hand. All three 'retired' and only one relocated to VA with a significant downsizing.

Buying Lazy S to me would be like buying an old family farm. I don't want to start from scratch or reinvent the wheel but I sure could carry on some good traditions especially if the owners/operators would be 'on call' even if not on site. The wonderful thing about Lazy S is think of all the wonderful stock already in place to propagate and increase and enjoy !

Growing perrenials and shrubs. etc that do not need a professional greenhouse as part of the mix lessens the year round stress immesurably as the nursery can be put to bed much the same way we put our gardens to bed for the winter.

I've also looked at a pick your own blueberry farm in Vermont, a small campground with pick your own apple orchard and 3 greenhouses to supply fresh veggies (mostly tomatoes) to area restaurants also in Vermont, and a number of other schemes and dreams through out the years. Just need some like-minded folks to join in with...So, if anyone is interested in say growing garlic for fun and profit, let me know!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9286896

Coleup -- I think you'd do a fabulous job with LazyS's. They offer so much variety -- I don't know how they handle it. They must have a huge workforce -- people who are worried about losing their jobs.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9286913

Garlic for fun and profit...mm, sounds interesting. Where do we start? one clove at a time I suppose.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9286917

One clove at a time... LOL... I'll let you know how I do with mine this year!

OMG, I would LOVE to see Coleup with an outfit like LazyS. Wish I lived close enough to submit a resume... hmm, I could drive down for major shipping or propagation events, help with internet sales... keep me posted! :-)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9286958

That would be so cool, coleup, if you could.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9286977

I ordered from LazySS earlier in the summer and saw on their web site that the business was up for sale - owners want to retire. I spent several weeks dreaming the proverbial "chucking it all" and running away to take on a nursery. Sigh... reality bites and although I dream about having a job that is also my biggest hobby, I am not adventurous enough nor do I have the $s to go for it. So, sticking with the day job for probably another 5 years at least...

Paul, I have mostly shade but I haven't weighed in on the suggestions yet. I never really have a plan, I just spot things that appeal to me and then try them out. The gardens have just evolved over time - some things make it, more don't, and I move things around if the original spot just doesn't seem right. Things look great in the spring but then really fizzle out in the summer when the drought hits and the weeds take over - almost embarrassed to have my gardening friends see it in that condition (not really, we are usually all in the same boat LOL). My favorite saying, is you should have seen it in earlier... Well getting back to topic, I don't think I could put something together as a design to be incorporated all at once.

I do have some favorites - helebores, ferns, epimediums, tiny white daffodils, oriental lillies, clematis, phlox divaricata, old fashioned bleeding heart, lily of the valley, virginia bluebells... As far as shrubs, I'm so lucky to have native mountain laurel everywhere, so haven't experimented with many shrubs at all. I do have a few lacecap hydrangeas - I like the delicate blossoms better than mopheads for my setting. Another shrub that I really like is Lespedeza thunbergii 'Gibraltar' - again, delicate blossoms and added bonus is it blooms late summer and into the fall http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56720/
I think happy mentioned deutzias - I don't have any yet, but I've seen pictures and discussion posted over in the shade forum and will defiitely be adding these at some point.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9287003

Ooooh -- thank you for the suggestion of the Lespedeza thunbergii 'Gibraltar' - I can think of at least 3 places in my yard that would work. Do you know if it roots easily?

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9287007

I don't know if it roots easy, but I do know it grows fast. I originally picked it up in a perennial size container - it was blooming, and I thought "how pretty" without ever even realizing it was actually a shrub. No research, just plunked it in the ground. Needless to say, it rapidly outgrew the spot I originally had it. But, I sure do like it when it is situated where it has room to grow - forgot to mention that it has a nice weeping/arched branches habit.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9287013

Great plant. I would be interested to find out what it takes to reproduce it as well! Yay shrubs!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9287102

I read this: "Propagation couldn't be simpler: Whack a couple suckers off the main plant and pot them up. Transplanted seedlings take readily to life in containers as well." See http://www.amerinursery.com/article-7116.aspx.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9287152

Sounds good to me!!!

:)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9287183

Never seen Lespedeza but it sounds wonderful.

Lazy S sounds wonderful too- could this fit the bill for DH dream of a family business?

Nah- I'm sure its priced waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
out of our comfort zone!!! 25 acres in a rapidly expanding growth area?

More in our range would be the maple syrup 'farm' in the North I saw listed once.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9287274

Sally, coleup, or anyone else close to My neck of the woods---(White Marsh Mall--Perry Hall).
My Pakistani neighbor Is beginning to realize the end results of propagating everything.
She is overwhelmed with all the Hostas she has potted.

She asked if I could give any away to my friends. So, dear friends, I have a wheelbarrow full of
asst Hostas. They are out of their pots (she kept those) and available to anyone.
She may even have more than the smaller ones I got.

You all shady garden owners--Sally? Coleup? Care to make a trip my way? 28 miles from
Sally's place to mine. You all could carpool?

Huh? Huh??? Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9287288

I'd consider it but don' t know when...time is tight next couple weeks.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9287289

Gita. I would be interested, any idea what they look like?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9287311

Well--
They were out of their pots and in a big pile. I do not know how long my neighbor had them in this pile.
I took them and sat them all in my wheelbarrow--upright.--about 2 layers worth.
Most of them have some good leaves left on them so you can see what they look like.

They look somewhat tattered--understandably--but it is the end of the season for them as well.
I saw another cart of larger root balls and hosta. Not sure she wants to give everything away.

Then she was talking about digging up a row of Hostas growing along her 6' fence.
Now she wants to plant all the roses that she grew from cuttings there.

Don't know what else I can tell you, Paul.
I took them because donner (sally) came here today and we had crabs. I was hoping she would take a bunch--
but she took only 4 of them.

They look like they all were growing in a 5' OR 6" pots. Roots everywhere--so well established.

How serious are you all? I could ask my neighbor if she wants to get rid of more of them--and then
the trip would be worthwhile. Maybe in a chain of passing on--if only ONE person were to come here..

Stay tuned...will take a picture tomorrow and post it here. Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9287363

Today I stuck four cuttings of the Ruellia brittoniana (purple flowers at the corner of the house by the deck steps) that several noticed. No idea but they might take.

That barrow of hosta would go a way towards filling Paul's shady plot job.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9287395

Thanks Gita!

Sally- Yeah that's kind of what I had in mind. Neighbors helping neighbors.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012

Post #9287396

That's what I did last year- took a whole flat of David's vinca, for my neighbors across the street. I sure didn't need a flat of new anything for MY yard.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9287449

I think Speedie and ssgardener posted that they wanted hostas for their yards on the fall swap threads, too. But I'm sure they can speak up for themselves. Good save Gita! Can you keep the roots from drying out until someone picks them up?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9287484

Yes, good save!! I'm thinking if you could grab a couple of boxes, pack them in a single upright layer, maybe fill in with a little extra dirt or mulch or shredded leaves... they'd "hold" just fine until somebody could pick them up. Hostas are tough.

Coleup, I'm going to try to overwinter the sun coleus I got from Badseed this spring, so I've been busy taking cuttings. I'm pretty sure I can still figure out their names. Any you don't have, I'll try to get cuttings to you later this fall or at the Feb. seed swap or even the spring swap. 'Handy Andy', 'Fishnet Stockings', 'Inky Fingers', 'Kiwi', 'Jade', 'Mardi Gras', 'Meandering Linda' (maybe; this one stayed oddly runty all summer), and I know there are a couple more... LOL

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9287688

Happy, thanks for the link to the lespedeza article. I stumbled on this shrub quite accidentally (it doesn't seem to be part of the mainstream) and anything I've known about it is just from my own observations in my garden. Article describes everything that I have observed about this shrub - no wonder I like it, makes it seem more official somehow seeing it professionally written about LOL.

All you coleus experts, can I just keep the coleus that I got from Gita in its pot inside the house over the winter (it is still fairly small)? Do you guys take cuttings vs bringing in the whole plant because they are in the ground (not in a pot) and/or the plants have gotten too large? Enquiring minds want to know...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9287704

Terri, don't hesitate to let us know when you have some suckers that need to be trimmed off... :)

Coleus overwintering- I take cuttings and start over simply because of space issues. I'm sure there are more experts here than me, I have only done this for one winter.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2012 8:39 AM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9287753

Coleup and Jill--

Thank you for reminding me about keeping the coleus roots from drying out.
I will line them up along MY side of her 6' fence and throw mulch around them.
OR--along my defunct bed and do the same...That will be less in the way when I have to mow the grass...

Will take a picture--I promised Paul I would. Gita

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9287765

All our coleus plants are in pots, and they overwintered last year just fine in the pots in a north window. They might have been even happier with a bit more sun, but we ran out of space.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9287816

Many of you know that I take a lot of cuttings from my Coleus and, successfully, root them under my light set-up.
Many of us have a light set-up for our seed growing. Use them this time of year--and throughout the winter
for growing cuttings of various plants, as well as growing your AV's in a brighter growing area. (I need to do this!).

It is easy and not much attention needed--except for watering.
These Coleus cuttings will grow quite large--enough so for a second pinching around January.
Took these pictures just now to show those of you that have never done this. it is so easy!

1--Coleus cuttings just removed from the plant.
2--Cuttings trimmed of all big leaves and top leaves cut smaller--if needed.
3--Fill small pots--or 6-pack liners with a soil-free mix and water in. I use "Pro Mix" for my cuttings.
4--Place cuttings under lights to grow. I leave the lights on from AM till PM (bedtime).
The rest of the cuttings you see in this picture were done less than a week ago. None have wilted!
5--This picture is from December, 2010. See the huge amount of growth the cuttings can put out?

Hope this helps someone. If you do not have a light set-up--you could always purchase a lamp that has a cool-white
fluorescent bulb in it. These bulbs can come in a "U" shape--or in a circular shape.
Regular bulbs would emit too much heat--and not enough light. The CF bulbs may work better. Not sure...

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9287819

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY PICTURES???????
Ok! Will post again.

3--Fill small pots--or 6-pack liners with a soil-free mix and water in. I use "Pro Mix" for my cuttings.
4--Place cuttings under lights to grow. I leave the lights on from AM till PM (bedtime).
The rest of the cuttings you see in this picture were done less than a week ago. None have wilted!
5--This picture is from December, 2010. See the huge amount of growth the cuttings can put out?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9287980

Paul--

Took a picture of the Hostas. Nothing much to see...Many of their stems were all broken
from being in a pile.

I lined then all up here--in 2 rows-- and threw leaves over and in front of them and soaked them well.

There are 17 plants. NOT in pots any more. She kept the pots.

Gita

Just wanted to add a picture of my New England Aster--which is now getting into full bloom.
It is about 4' tall and 3' wide. very woody stems...

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9288121

A picture is worth a thousand words, true enough! I've got some step by step photos in the article I did this spring on sun coleus, too: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3687/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9288174

Jill--

I re-read your article. Good to refresh one's mind.

Question---very general...
I have been growing a lot of Coleus over the years. Some I know were bough at $3.50 a pop and were
Sun Coleus. A few were just bough in a market pack.
I used to have many more varieties, but last year, my cuttings did not do too well. I think I took them too late.
Right now--I am down to 6 or 7 different color ones. Got 3 new ones from coleup---PRETTY!!!

I no longer know which is which. Doesn't really matter---but can reg. Coleus and Sun Coleus be
differentiated just by sight??

Mine all grow in pretty bright light all day and do OK. Does that mean they are all "Sun Coleus"...

I am sure coleup will chime in here too.

Thanks, Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9288496

I don't know any way of distinguishing "sun coleus" other than the fact that they do well in part to pretty full sun... there may be some varieties (like Kiwi Fern) that are distinctive enough to be recognizable, but there's no visually distinguishing feature as far as i know.

I'll probably bring in some plants from the railing boxes as well as taking cuttings, just depends on what I can stuff around the edges of various pots coming inside. Rooted coleus cuttings are easy to tuck into hanging baskets during the winter, also!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9288602

This is my take

"Sun Coleus" is comparable to saying "Shade Rose" Most of us wouldn't take seriously or 'buy' that there is a shade rose! Remember that old song? "Roses love sunshine..."? Well the next phrase would be "Coleus thrive in more shade".

Because there are a few roses that will live and even bloom in quite a bit less than full sun doesn't mean there is a Shade Rose, though mass marketing might create a demand for this "Sensational New Rose, Blooms in the Shady Border." Have you always longed to grow those lushious long blooming roses like your neighbors on the sunny side of your street? Well, envy them no longer..."

Don't buy the spin marketers put out to lure consumers in to buy 'the lastest. new and improved version as most marketing is to sell plants, drive sales not necessarily plant performance driven, but bottom line profit margin and ease of mass production to flood the market. The performance standard most important to mass marketing (think grocery store tomato here) is how reliably plant will hold up to point of sale!

Yes, there are some coleus varieties that are more sun tolerant than others. Almost every coleus will do well in morning sun with some protection from hot midday rays. Sun tolerance is enhanced by ensuring consistant moisture required and well developed roots and good air flow but not a windy site, etc. The coloration/pigmentation we so love coleus for is partly the plants protection from the sun and darker colored do better (tolerate) in more sun than light colored.

Again, there are no sun coleus even though various suppliers, growers, or garden writers have begun to refer to them as such. Even Jill's article is misleading in being titled as it was.

One other coleus confusion to clear up as there are generally two types of coleus varieties available to consumers...seed grown and cutting (and now tissue cultured) grown. 6 packs are almost always seed grown varieties and almost always "shade loving". The more expensive pots of coleus like Gita purchased, are usually cutting grown and not just potted up seed grown types. The cutting grown varieties (unless you take them yourself from seed grown plants you grow) generally are slow to spike flowers and represent a larger variety of leaf shape, coloration and plant form than seed grown, and are more "tolerant" (there's that word again!) of a wide range of growing conditions than seed grown.

Rosy Dawn is a major source for cutting grown varieties and that is all they grow. Here is a link to what they say
http://rosydawngardens.blogspot.com/2009/02/coleus-in-sun.html
And their home page is here
http://www.rosydawngardens.com/

Rosy Dawn care of coleus page is a good foundation for any level of coleus gardener and gives good info on how to grow as a hoseplant indoors over winter.
http://www.rosydawngardens.com/Coleus_Care.aspx

Just check out their whole site and then we'll talk again! lol Or ask some more specific questions here at Daves on our Coleus Forum http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coleus/all/

Judy (Coleup) (Just one letter off from coleus! yep, coleus got me here and I'm glad I've stayed)

This message was edited Sep 28, 2012 12:03 PM
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9288905

Gitagal wrote:Many of you know that I take a lot of cuttings from my Coleus and, successfully, root them under my light set-up.
Many of us have a light set-up for our seed growing. Use them this time of year--and throughout the winter
for growing cuttings of various plants, as well as growing your AV's in a brighter growing area. (I need to do this!).

It is easy and not much attention needed--except for watering.
These Coleus cuttings will grow quite large--enough so for a second pinching around January.
Took these pictures just now to show those of you that have never done this. it is so easy!

Hope this helps someone. If you do not have a light set-up--you could always purchase a lamp that has a cool-white
fluorescent bulb in it. These bulbs can come in a "U" shape--or in a circular shape.
Regular bulbs would emit too much heat--and not enough light. The CF bulbs may work better. Not sure...

Gita

Gita et al, Just a couple of additions/suggestions to your excellent tutorial on coleus cuttings from my own experience.

!) Pinch out the growing tips of cuttings, especially those taken in the fall for overwintering.
As the night temps cool to around 60 degrees or lower, many coleus, even the cutting grown named varieties I reference above, get the message to flower and set seed. It is more difficult to get great cuttings for overwintering if terminal flowering has begun. (Do same pinching back for any intended for 'houseplants', too.) Pinching the growing tip should keep your cuttings more compact as well during indoor hiatus.
2)Coleus cuttings take best when soil temps are 60 degrees or above. May need bottom heat or warm spot while rooting in.
3)Water from the bottom and keep the leaves dry to limit fungal/mildew probs.

Coleus will also root in water quite easily. Just plant them in soil when roots appear.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2012 12:14 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9289034

Coleup--

Thanks for your additional advice.
I try to never take a cutting if it has started the blooming. If I have to--I will pinch the top off.

The 3 Coleus cuttings I got from you--I put them in a glass of water right there at sally's.
They stayed in that cup for about 2 weeks and had begun to root.
I had to re-cut the stems, though, as they were too long for my rooting in cell packs.
No worry! I know they will all root!

coleup--you use this a lot. Please tell me again how to put a paragraph in the square as above?
I have never used it--but would like to sometimes...

Has there been an after Swap-get together at Sally's date chosen yet??? Please let me know--
as I do want to come and see everyone..
If it is fairly soon--I could even bring all the Hostas to Paul.

Gita

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9289094

Hey all,

Gita they are nice hostas but I don't think I'm in desperate need of them. Perhaps try and over winter them, I think hostas are pretty tough to kill and bring them to the next swap for people. I would only be able to use a handful..maybe.

Re coleus cuttings should we pinch every end?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9289203

Paul--

I have not done that--as that would make the plants too bushy and they would get too crowded in my cell packs.
There is no harm doing it--but you will be, essentially, stopping any upward growth of the main stem.

I leave mine as is--and, as I mentioned earlier, somewhere around January, I will be doing a 2nd pinching
and rooting the new cuttings. It will double the number of plants I have to share. AND--give me more headaches
as to where to put all of them.

Bummer on the Hostas---I suppose they can stay where they are, except i will dump some soil on then and mulch them.
See what happens in the spring...
G.

medlarman

medlarman
Fairfax, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9296317

I dug up a bunch of hosta and then left them in a short laundry basket next to a shady fence for more than a year before I found someone to give them to. They're pretty remarkable survivors.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9296466

JUDY--YOU ROCK!!!

You ARE the QUEEN if research!
Thank you so much for all the information on Coleus.

I copied out all the links and their "contact us" information--put them in an e-mail
and sent it to myself.
This way--if i ever want to help someone out--I can just send them an e-mail with all the links.

Gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9297079

The coleus I got never did root in the water so I decapitated them - cut neck at an angle - removed bottom leaves - dipped in 'stuff' - shoved in starter soil...please tell me these 'may' root. I will root something yet...LOL Course I also started taking cuttings of my scented geranium - I see no point in having to buy it again. It got simply huge in my large planter. Does any one have any cuttings they could spare of the 'vicks' scented geranium (variegated one)? I don't care for the scent but having something that will look pretty with it in a pot...silly, huh?

This message was edited Oct 5, 2012 10:24 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9297333

Chantelle---

I may sound like a broken record--but skip the water rooting and put your Coleus straight in some "fluffy"
soil mix and keep them under good lights.
All my Coleus cuttings passed the tug-test in less that a week...like 4 days, maybe?

I do not root anything in water any more...the 'direct approach" work s fine.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9298917

I hear ya Gita...and that's what I've done...will let you know if I succeed!! Looking at your photo give me hope. Course I also grabbed some willow pieces this w/e to make some willow water - will see if that helps with the rooting.

Anyone know who I shoved my variegated Vicks plant on to? How horrible am I - giving it then asking for cuttings...LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9299001

Vicks????? What would that be in plain English?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2012

Post #9299057

It was a scented geranium with variegated green/pink/creme leaves that smelled like vick's vapor rub if you so much as breathed on it...LOL
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9299069

Chantell, is that scented geranium an inside plant or is it supposed to be planted in flowerbed? I potted it up the day I got home from the plant swap and it's looking good but I still have it ouside. Should I bring it inside tomorrow or wait a few more weeks? Does it bloom like a regular geranium? If so what color are the blooms?
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9299072

Hey,nothing wrong with Vick's vapor rub..my son sent me a birthday card one time about my fine perfume was BenGay.! My Dad used to use Absorbine, Jr. for everything, and swore by Iodine..So if that scented geranium smells like Vick's, I'll feel right at home!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9299100

Pippi - the one I'm referring to was potted and brought to a previous swap. It like the one I brought cuttings of is/was tender and needs to be brought indoors as far as I know. The cuttings I brought were rose scented. You can easily tell just by rubbing the leaves.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9299219

I have been rooting things in sphagnum moss works really well.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9299264

Hi, Thought I'd chip in! We saw a demo this year at one of our greenhouse meetings this year where the guy swore by using oasis for rooting cuttings. Oasis is that soft green foam material used in flower arrangements.It made sense to me, the stuff has been designed to maintain cut flowers longer, is very soft, holds tons of water. He just partly cut through it to make cubes and poked holes in each to stick the cutting. After rooting he just cut the cubes apart and potted them up, no muss no fuss. I think I'm going to try some of that this year. Ric

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9299324

Talking about what to root things in...

Earlier this summer, maybe in June, I cut back my Easter Cactus and put all the cuttings in
straight Coir to root. I thought--this will be good--as it holds so much water...
Some of the pots have been outside all summer--and some inside on my windowsill.

Well--it is NOT a good thing to root things in. Every time I check the pots, they are bone dry.
I think the Coir wicks every bit of moisture to the top of the pots and then it all evaporates.
The cuttings also are NOT really rooting. Many are falling out, or looking dessicated .

Today--I brought every small pot in and will re-pot all the cuttings in Pro Mix.
This was not a good experiment...Lesson learned.

Oasis sounds good. I wonder if that would be good for more woody cuttings?
Kind of a steady source of moisture...and the Oasis would hold the cuttings more upright.

I still have about 5 pots of Figs rooting. While they are rooted in (tug...tug...), there are no new leaves being produced.
I am not surprised--as this is the time of year that all the Fig trees are dropping all their leaves.
Perhaps the cuttings are just following this pattern.
I brought them all in and put them under my lights. We will see if it makes a difference...
These really should be outside for the winter--but i am not sure they are rooted enough for me
to chance that...I think it is wayyyy too kate in the season to be taking cuttings of the Fig.
But--my favorite Bell Nursery girl asked me for a couple. So I did pot a few up. They did root it.
I just wanted them to grow some leaves before I gave them to her...

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...we ARE having a cold snap! It is 58* inside my house.
I do not want to turn the heat on yet. Will tough it out...Couple more days of this chill to go...

Holly--
I am trying to root the little bunches of growths along the viney stems of my
Blushing Suzy vine. So far, they have not wilted. Have NO idea if they will root. Have you ever tried to do this?
I also brought in some of the developing seed pods. They are all still green. May not come to much
of anything. Just another experiment...
G.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 8, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9299396

Good luck to everyone on over wintering some of the favorites from this year. I too have spent some time the past few days getting most plants inside and taking cuttings of the ones that won't come inside. Most things I have been successful with, but there are a few that I have no luck with. Gosh, I took a good look around yesterday and decided that I could get rid of several pots of wandering jew and several pots of begonias, and never miss any of them. How I ended up with so many pots of each, I don't know.

I am taking Gita's word on Holiday Cactus being able to take a bit of chill and haven't brought them indoors yet. That collection too has doubled since going out last spring. Good grief Charlie Brown...will I ever learn?

Hope that everyone has a great week coming up. Stay warm folks.

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9299452

I think the folks who have been swearing by coir for rooting and potting seedlings are mixing it with moisture crystals.

Gita, thanks so much for sending along those fig cuttings! One was already putting out new leaves when Terri brought them to me. Maybe we'll have figs all along the side of the house. :-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9299472

Just heard the weather forecast for tomorrow---highs in the low 60's.
Wednesday--highs around 70*.

On a different topic. Can any of you ID, or guess, what kind of a Lily (I think it is a lily)
these seeds and the pod come from?

This is a Lily that is in a tight area between my birdbath,the Butterfly Bush, a stump
and the RR tie along the edge of the bed. If it bloomed this summer--i did not notice it.
What i DID notice were these oval, long (1"-1/2"), fat seed pods on it. Hmm...Never saw them before!

There is another Lily next to it, that i have always called the "Lily by the Stump".
That one did bloom.

Yesterday I was back there cleaning up--and saw all these split open pods with bright orange seeds in them.
These seeds are about the size of a pea.
I have them all on a plate to dry. Not sure what will be inside them. Maybe a lg. round seed?
Like a couple of the black ones you can see in the picture.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal      

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9299478

Here is how broad my Dr. Seuss has spread. You can see that it is, once again,
full of bloom buds. The last flush---I think. Maybe not!

Just took this picture this morning. As you can see--the Coleus all survived a 42* night.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 14, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9304785

Just wanted to share some of the photos I snapped earlier today. Many of the following plants came from you good DG folks, so I wanted to let you all know how some of them are doing.

First pic is of a pot of Oxalis that Chantell gave to me at Ric and Holly's. It was really slow to start blooming, but has really put on a beautiful show ever since.

Next two pics are two of the Streptocarpus that Donnerville gifted me with. They are still blooming and bringing me a lot of joy.

Next two pics are different angles of the plant room which is housing the majority of my houseplants for the winter.

Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 14, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9304787

more of the plant room

Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 14, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9304788

some more...

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9304858

Ruby,
Your plant room is so lush and full! My friend Cheryl also received a Streptocarpus from Donnerville that she absolutely loves. For half of the year it lives on her kitchen sink window sill here in Lucketts, and then she takes it with her to spend the winter months in Florida.

Thumbnail by aspenhill

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9304865

Nice, Ruby! I hope you saved room for a comfy reading chair...

I'm making a last set of labels for anything I've managed to miss before I plant it out or up-pot it for the winter. I have a Columbine from the spring swap that I got as a little seedling, in a green pot labeled "COLUMBINE ? ? ?" I can't remember who gave it to me, and I'd like to put their name on the tag, so if it's you, please let me know. Similarly, I have what looks like a little Tulip Poplar seedling... maybe from Sally?

Also, among the plants Terri brought back for me from the fall swap, there's a nicely rooted cutting of... something... with red leaves... a red hibiscus? or a japanese maple? I need to know if it's tender or hardy!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9304997

Holy Cow, Ruby!!!!!!! Your house is jammed! Must take you 2 days to water everything..
Do they not mind being so crowded? And I thought that I had a lot of plants...

The Streptocarpus looks beautiful. Mine had one flower so far. Also from Donner--but later that Holly's Swap.
What do you feed it with? any other "secrets"???? or--does it just take time?

Gita

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9305263

Gita, your blue strep probably just needs time to grow... it's an african violet cousin, so you can give it a little diluted african violet fertilizer. 1/4 strength is generally the way to go, IMO, especially if you add it to the water every (or every other) time you water. I don't have that much experience with them, but I seem to remember something about them blooming from older leaves, so don't pinch them back too much (tempting to do, because those older leaves can get really long and soemtimes a little ratty looking).

I must get a photo... there's a beautiful strep from Donner that's blooming this week, with 3 drop dead gorgeous velvet red blooms! Wow!

I stuck a couple of cuttings from my half-price cinnamon "tree" (more of a really tall stick, although it does have a few branches)... so far so good, but I don't think they've really rooted yet. I'm pretty sure Chantell has "dibs" on the first one. I pruned back my big new night blooming jasmine, too, so I'll be sticking those cuttings soon. I did a lot of cleaning and organization this weekend, so I think I owe myself some play in the dirt time. :-)

Gita, your neighbor's sweet bay still looks good... nicely rooted at this point, and it even has some new growth. When Sally gets back, we'll try to find a date that we can all get together -- maybe a Friday? I'll bring it then, and I'll find something for you also. :-) I've got plenty of extra coleus cuttings for Coleup, too, although I'm afraid most are rooting in water because that's all I had time to do with them before we left for NC.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9305314

Thanks, Jill----

I learned one thing about the Streps----DO NOT try to pull off those dead stems that the blooms
leave behind! The whole leaf will come off with it. Yikes! I learned that the hard way...
So--I cut the leaf back by about 3/4 and stuck it in the soil right next ti the plant. I hope it roots.

Is the Sweet bay the Mediterranean bay leaf plant? I read somewhere that those are the best...
I am looking forward to getting together with you and sally and coleup and...?
I also got about 3 -4 different Coleus cuttings from Judy at the swap. Lobe the deep red one
with the lime color on the inside of the leaf. I really do not have room for too many other cuttings...
AND--the seeding season is going to take all that room away--and then? What do i do with all the rooted plants?

My Coleus are all rooted--as are all the Persian Shields. I never thought that they would root
just as easy as the Coleus! Thanks for the nudge--terp! Will save me a lot of money!

I am also "playing" around by rooting the Blushing Suzy vine--all those little bunches of plants on the vines.
So far--they have not wilted--I do not dare to tug them yet.
Also have about 8 pots of my red Easter cactus rooting. All the regular CC's are still outside--
and now my "juveniles" (no longer babies) are setting flower buds. I am excited to see the other colors,
as I went 'picking"last fall at Lowes on their racks of CC--and came home with a lot of broken off pieces.
I know there will be some pinks and maybe even pink and white ones. We shall see...

OK! Bedtime for me...Gita

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9306121

Yes, the sweet bay is the one I got from DeBaggio's, the kind you'd use for cooking.

You can stick the leaf like you did, or if you want a lot of strep babies you can split the leaf lengthwise, right down its midrib, and put it (whole or in sections) in potting mix with the midrib tucked firmly into the soil surface. That's hard to describe in words, LOL... check out this tutorial from the Violet Barn: http://www.violetbarn.com/lessons/streps_by_leaf.htm

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9306124

Gita- glad to have helped! The purple and green foliage is very nice. I'm waiting for my water coleus cuttings to root... might just stick with Persians

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9306128

Paul--

I never use water for rooting anything--seems I have said it a hundred times by now...
I stick my Coleus cuttings right into Pro Mix..Done! They are rooted in about a week..

Did two more 6-packs of the Persian Shield. These will go to 2 ladies I work with at HD
who are avid gardeners...I have enough...

Be well! Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9306133

Oh well. I guess after I have my own failures it will sink in, just trying something different.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9306353

Is anyone interested in what might be Miscanthus gracillimus? My neighbor's plants have reseeded into my front hill and I'm pulling some out. I may use them here and there, but probably will have extras.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9306404

Happy, I'll happily take your extra miscanthus!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9306566

I could use a few. Love grasses, I was excited about oats at Sally's! Haha I guess I just love the beach.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9306748

Paul---

If you want Oats--I have all the seeds you can use of the Northern Sea Oats.
Sally's Oats came from me--as did anyone elses that have these.

Warning!!!!! The seeds fly all over and this plant becomes disgustingly invasive.
The seedlings are wiry and hard to pull up. They will grow in all your nearby beds ad infinitum.

They DO look serene with their drooping seed-heads...but once they dry--they go with the winds...
One solution is to cut the seed heads off before they dry. Look!

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9306780

Thanks gita! I took a rather large clump from Sally's so I should be fine. Thank you for the advice though about cutting the heads off.

I really enjoy them though, maybe not so much in a few years...

This message was edited Oct 16, 2012 9:33 AM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9306805

Ok, ssgardener and UMD -- pls dmail me to let me know how many you want. These won't be large -- they are the reseeded babies.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9307114

Anybody looking for grasses... Santa Rosa's sale is still going on, I think. Grasses are mostly big 2 inch plugs or 4 inch pots from them, and if you up-pot into a trade gallon container and put in a somewhat sheltered location (eg, protect from freezing for the next month... I'm putting some pots up against the south side of the house, on the patio), you'll have nice sturdy plants in spring. There are some real bargains in their fall clearance, and a selection that's just amazing. I think they're sending me another box with a couple missed items, so if you can get them from me this fall (or even at the Feb. seed swap; I'm easy), LMK if you just want one or two things and you'll save on shipping.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9307330

I'm so sorry... I just got an email that my missing items were shipped out this afternoon. I was thinking they'd go out next week, but I think Jude wanted to straighten things out asap. But if you're considering an order, post here, and maybe you can go in with somebody.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9307332

Oh well. Any takers?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9307363

I'm just placing an order with them now.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9307374

Excellen Terri want to split shipping?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9307393

It's Devon, and I'd be happy to. Dmail me?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9307459

Happy! I was just thinking Terp needed to connect up with you... he just mentioned to me that he's especially looking for part-shade plants for a woodland setting... Do you know anybody with that kind of garden? *whistling* I know he's willing to dig/divide for plants, 'cause he's planning to help me with a daffodil dig.

:-)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9307831

Jill -- you called my name! Yes, Terp and I have been talking. My shady yard is looking pretty bad right now, so I don't know how much he'd want from it... It wasn't a good gardening year for me!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9308213

But what you have is KNOWLEDGE... your experience with the plants that grow really well in shade in this area.

BTW, I just got an email from Santa Rosa... $25 off an order of $75 or more... Dmail me if you want the coupon code; I am going to resist!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9308217

OMG -- I just put in a bit earlier what I swear will be my last order! Next thing they'll offer to come plant the plants in my yard!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9308279

If you put it in just today, I'd call or email Jude and ask her if you can please still apply the coupon. If you're on their email list, it's in your in box, otherwise check your Dmail. It's "good on new orders only," meaning if you're just adding to a shipment you started ordering for earlier you can't use it, but since you just placed a new order I think you should be able to use it. I'm not sure I even have to ask if you ordered more than $75 LOL.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9308460

I didn't hit $75 on my latest order -- but you should have seen what I ordered earlier this year from them! I think I finally hit buyer's fatigue. My latest order was just for a few plants to fill in empty spots on the plans for my awful front hill.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9308517

Jil that red leafed thing is a tropical hibiscus from me. Rooted off one of cv HaightAshbury from coleup.
Yup my life is back to normal.
Hey let me tell you every plant in that plant room of ruby s is neat as a pin. Exc ellent care there.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9308928

Thanks, Sally! Now I can make a label for it... and make sure it comes inside this winter!

That's my thought looking at Ruby's plant photos, too... She must putter around with those plants every day, making sure there are no leaves out of place, no plants drooping from too much or too little water... They look fabulous!

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 21, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9311171

I had the great pleasure of having Sallyg visit my home on Monday as she returned home from her father's funeral. What an absolute treat to have one of my very favorite Dave's Gardeners visit my home. Sally can attest to my obsessive/compulsive personality tendencies just from being here a short while. The five or so minutes we stood in the plant room I was busy deadheading anything yellow or brown. I keep an aluminum tray in there to hold these dead leaves until it is full enough to be emptied in to compost pail. Also, being a country girl at heart, Sally joined me in battling stink bugs on my porch and front deck. I had to laugh at the ones high on the screen when she was able to reach and pick them off when it is me, I use a full size broom to knock them down in order to reach them. I especially appreciated the fact that she didn't judge the mess that our yarden ended up being this year...as Devon said...it was not a good gardening year here either.

Critter, you must have the Streptocarpus that has the word Ruby in it, if it is the red one. I have one of those too but it bloomed earlier than the blue ones did.

So glad that there is still activity on this thread. It is so great to come and hear about everyone's plants. As for feeding any of my plants...I use SuperThrive and Hydrogen Peroxide in a sprayer to water my plants when they are indoors for the winter. Most seem to love it. I too have a few plants that refuse to flourish for me and they are often ones that I hear other folks say are invasive...go figure.

Anyway...let me close by wishing everyone a great fall week coming up. I will turn a year older on Thursday which John just reminded me of. He said I will be as old as he is then, because he turned 57 on September 30. Until we meet again...

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9311360

The pleasure was all mine or so I thought- Ruby fed me lunch and she and John gave me a nice break on my long drive home. Little did I know then, that if I had not stopped I would have faced a huge backup on the DC beltway. And since I did still get stuck in it I survived a bit better, having had a rest, and a piece of chocolate pie from Ruby to eat while I watched brakelights. Talk about a cozy country home! Ruby's great big screened porch and huge front deck- I could spend a lot of hours there listening to katydids. The goats even said HI to me. Ruby sent me off with a few new houseplants, John insisted on sharing from his small patch of reblooming iris- one of which is named Harvest of Memories. What a great name and great plant gift for the occasion
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/35227/
Thanks again Ruby and John.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9311537

Sally---Good to have you back! Missed all your comments.

I knew you were away--but did not know why or where.
Please accept my deepest condolences on the passing of your Father. I did not know...

Ruby---
I have both Super Thrive (should use it more!), Liquid seaweed fertilizer, and Hydrogen Peroxide--
and water-of course. What ratio do you mix them in for spraying your houseplants?

You said--
" As for feeding any of my plants...I use SuperThrive and Hydrogen Peroxide in a sprayer to
water my plants when they are indoors for the winter."

Do you water the pots as well--or just spray the plants? Almost sounds like a silly question,
but so it sounded.

Your plants all DO look well--in all the pictures you posted, even if a bit crowded. More humidity--right?

Well! Lots of posts today! I am happy...Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9311538

Sally: I'm so very sad to learn of your Dad's death -- that's very tough. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9311784

THanks Gita ,and Devon. Dad was well loved and a good man. I had quite the long weekend driving with the three kids to NC and rendezvousing with Mark who was already halfway there with his airplane, on a golf trip. Crazy emotional time but given everything, I am so grateful to get through it all in one piece and be back home.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9311894

Sally, oh dear, please also let me give you big warm hugs, I'm so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing!! Being able to stop and see Ruby and John really had to have been a big blessing, a boon to a sore soul. GOD BLESS YOU Ruby and John, to be there for Sally on her road home!!! My thoughts and prayers, also, are with you and your family!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9312016

Thanks Susan!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 22, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9312103

Gita, I don't usually spray the flowers, some I do mist with the sprayer at times. I use the 2 gallon sprayer to water the pots. I don't always measure carefully but do try to put about one third an eye dropper of the Super Thrive per 2 gallons of water and simply pour what would amount to about a half cup of hydrogen peroxide per 2 gallons of water. I used to purchase the Super Thrive at Walmart in the small containers, but now order a quart size bottle on line which lasts a long time.

Sally, there were many years that I would ride by other houses and see screened porches and always yearn for one of my own. When I re-purchased the home about seven years ago it was the first thing I added, that and the font deck. We are happy here. I did notice on a trip out later last week that some of the trees had finally begun coloring up nicely. The ones on the mountain seen from back deck are nice yellows and reds today also. You must have missed the prime time by about a week. Maybe you can return next fall during the peak of the color.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9312125

Ruby---

Eons ago--My hubby and I took a trip to the Skyline Drive in the fall...

Words cannot describe the beauty of all the fall colors on the trees as we drove along the ridge
and looked down on the expanse of yellows and golds reds and oranges and greens.
live... Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 23, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9312922

It is quite breath taking Gita, I agree. I will be driving over the mountain later today for a doctor's appointment. I am sure that I will see lots of colors if my back yard is any indication of what may be found there. I make the trip over the mountain ridge quite often, but will some times think of folks who are seeing its majesty for the first time. I have always taken the mountains for granted, something I see every day, but now realize that it is quite something for folks to behold who are not accustomed to seeing something as magnificient as this. I have spent many an hour enjoying some of the pull over rest stops on the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway...both very grand and has a way of making a person realize just how small we are in comparison to wonders of the earth.

Ruby

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America