Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

September 16, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9276737

I'm having trouble getting my Brazilian Red Cloak to bloom. It is in a large pot in half shade and half sun. It is at least 5 years old. I've used Super Bloom on it heavily twice this summer in addition to balanced fertilizer. It is kept in the greenhouse in winter and has not frozen.

It bloomed nicely the first couple of summers I had it, and since has been barren. Is the age my problem?

If you have any ideas, PLMK.

Thanks!
Kay

This message was edited Sep 20, 2012 9:55 PM
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9276750

Besides the plant presumably getting bigger, has anything else changed between the years it bloomed well and now (have you watered & fertilized the same, have trees grown bigger and it now gets more shade than it used to, etc?)

And I'm assuming it looks healthy? If it's stressed by cultural conditions, insects, etc then that could definitely affect blooming.

Have you repotted it at all in those 5 yrs? If not maybe it's getting rootbound, or at a minimum the potting mix tends to wear out & get compacted over time so even if the roots are still fine changing out for fresh potting mix may be helpful.
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

September 17, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9278199

ecrane3, thanks for your reply. I had not thought about it being pot bound. That very well be the answer. I do have trouble keeping if green. It always looks like it could use some nitrogen, which I have given it, but only in a balanced fertilizer. I'll try increasing the pot size and replacing the soil.

What is the lowest temperature this plant can tolerate? I have another plant made from a cutting last year, that at least gave me two flowers this year. I am considering putting one in the ground to see what happens. We get down to maybe 26 degrees a couple of nights most winters (except for the highly unusual ones). If I covered it up good, do you think it could stand that much cold?

I have also discovered that scale loves this plant. I remove any that I find on it daily. I don't think they are on the plants long enough to do any damage.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9278279

What zone are you in? I have my doubts about it being hardy for you, but if you're right on the Gulf coast then maybe it would have a chance. If you've got a spare plant there's no harm trying though.

Can you post some pictures of it? From your description of scale and having a hard time keeping it green I think it's definitely stressed and that could definitely keep it from blooming.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9280148

As far as hardiness goes, mine stayed outside all last winter, in a pot. It was a relatively mild winter, but we did have several nights that got down into the 30's and I never covered it. Didn't lose any leaves, even. I would think if you are careful to cover it when temps are going down below about 40, it should be fine.

I started it from a cutting in spring of 2011. It is now nearly 4ft. high and wide, and has been blooming for a couple of months. The only other one I've seen locally is at the entrance to Selby Gardens and it is a large shrub nearly 10ft. tall. They do bloom on new growth, so I'd agree with ecrane that you should try re-potting. It may be something that either has to be in the ground so it can get as big as it wants to, or you have to start new cuttings every couple of years to have a small shrub you can keep blooming in a pot.

How about a picture?
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

September 20, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9281693

I had to laugh. Today when I looked at the plant I found it growing a flower bud on one of the branches. Maybe it was afraid I might do something desperate to it if it doesn't bloom.

I am in zone 8, right on the a/b line. I don't mind dragging it into the greenhouse, and thus far the cold that it gets in there seems not to have hurt it...unless that is the cause for no blooms. However, it did bloom very nicely two years, so that can't be the problem. I think I'll put the smaller one in the ground in a protected area just to see what it will do. The cuttings take quite easily and I should have no trouble replacing it if it freezes. Well, as a matter of fact, I might just take one tomorrow and get it started.

Meanwhile, I'm going to repot the larger one. I might trim the roots and use a larger pot both, along with new soil. If I decide to trim the roots, I'll also trim the top.

How much sun does it need? Our sun here gets pretty fierce in the summer time. We always also have extremely high humidity.

Due to a problem with my camera, I can't send a photo right now. I really appreciate all of your comments and suggestions.

Kay

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9281988

Kay, mine is in mostly shade in the summer, but gets more direct sun in winter when the angle is lower. Florida sun, as where you are, is very fierce in the hot months. You can see in the pic, it's getting peeks of sun now in the afternoon.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9281989

Elaine, that plant looks very happy!
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

September 21, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9282460

How beautiful!!!!! I hope mine will look like that one day!
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

October 2, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9293857

I finally got the Brazillian Red Cloak out of that pot! OH MY GOODNESS!!! I could not even cut through all those roots with a big sharp knife. I don't even know where the soil was. I could not even see any. Well, at this moment, the big root ball is lying out in the woods, and I made cuttings out of all the stalks.

Lesson learned. Do not let this one get root bound. (Yes, I had to cut the pot off the plant to get the root ball out.)

Thanks folks!

By the way, another one that is good for this is Petrea Vine. I had one of those that actually strangled on its own roots. That was years ago. You'd think I'd'a learned. (Now the petrea plants self seed all around.)

Kay
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9294851

Any spare Petrea vine seeds??

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America