Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Photo Editing Fun - Page 54

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

OK, folks, time for a new thread ... let's keep the creativity rolling!

We're coming from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273121/#new

If you can stand it, here's one more of that Gamble Garden Gazebo ... really processed to the max (and, with a PicMonkey frame ... yep, I broke down and tried it out) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

An Old Sunflower kaleido ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the new thread, Jubilada. I like the processing on the GG gazebo. It is so cheerful and inviting. The kaleido reminds me of an electronmicroscope image of pollen. Cool!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

On my walk today ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada,

How I would love to have that irregular stone walk leading up to my door. Beautiful. Wonderful idea to put all of the entryways together in a collage.You certainly see things that I would pass right by. Each image is so nicely composed and squared up.

p

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, of course I did a little perspective cropping on one, and a little cropping on another one of those ... so, not all of them "in camera" ... I am trying to shoot straighter, however ...

Here's one that's not straight on purpose ... one of my brug blooms done up with Topaz's new upgraded Simplify filter, Buz Sim filter something or other ... plus a frame. This image was cropped, as well, but nothing else was removed from the frame ... so that really is all blue sky in the background ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, gosh! I like everything about that brug creation. Colors and texture on the frame complement the photo perfectly. The flower is a lovely color and lit beautifully. The leaves are glowing and that is a wonderful color of blue sky with the light edges - is that called a reverse vignette? I don't know.

I have to go do a reshoot in my class tomorrow. That instructor is the energizer bunny. He critiques the images usually within hours of when we post them and then he has all these cool ideas for us to try. I'm worn out and we only just started the second week.

Here's one I just submitted.

This is what I said when I submitted it:
Plan was to use VP and a close foreground object to create a 3D sense of depth. In framing, I tried to get as close to the trike as possible but still get all of its shadow. Unfortunately, I didn't pay as close attention to the 15PPP as I should have. The dead tree trunk on the left edge should not be there and would have been easy to remove if I had noticed it. I also would have preferred to see some negative space around the handlebars of the trike, but couldn't find a place to make that happen.

He liked the Vanishing Point. He liked the shadow of the trike. He wasn't too concerned about the dead tree. But he did want me to make a change and reshoot. Jubilada, can you guess what he wanted to change? I'll bet you can. Hint: This weeks lesson is about Perspective and Tension.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

I already said it, that Joe is indefatigable! Seriously, I don't know how he does it!

Nevertheless, that's a great photo Patti, and I'm sure Joe liked it, especially those shadows. Now, I'll guess that he'd want that bike pointed in the other direction, going OUT of the photo ... right? And, from my own personal "perspective," I'd like to see that pathway on a diagonal across the photo, going from bottom right to top left ... what do you think? Can that be done, even? I think that would be good tension! Keep us posted!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You got it! And he also pointed out that I could have very easily created negative space around the handlebars if I had just moved the front of the bike out into the path. Well, duh. I was thinking of having blue sky around them. My brain never even saw the possibility of using the light colored path. He is good!

I don't think that I will like the trike moving out of the frame, but I'm going to keep an open mind and do it. And, I like your idea too. I will give that a try. I might see if I can find a place where I can make the diagonal go from bottom left to top right too. I think he said that the eye usually starts at the bottom of the photo and if possible should move left to right since that's the way we read ... ??? or something like that. He says so much stuff and I start losing track. I need to reread my notes.

More later ...

Memphis, TN

Wow, lots of cool stuff here today.

Thanks for starting a new thread, Jubilada....your opening piece reminds me of a postage stamp. It would make a nice one and I'd certainly go in and buy a sheet if it were! I really really really like your Doorways and Gates collage...it is so inviting and friendly! I find myself trying to think of some lovely verses about pathways as I look at those images.

Now, Patti, I like that trike on the path with the elongated shadows! So many elements to take in....I feel I've just pulled over to the side of the gravel path and am enjoying the moment. It is a very relaxing composition and, although it misses the mark for a class assignment, it hits the spot for me. I'm looking forward to what you come up with for a second attempt. I know I'm going to love it.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

OK, Patti, looking forward to your next post ... btw, I meant to say this, that is such a swell trike! Gosh, I need to get one of those! Thing is, I'd get killed on our "residential" roadways ... a bicycle is much thinner ... and that doesn't guarantee any safety either!

Edited because mine crossed in cyberspace with Miss Mary's post.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2012 8:26 PM

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

A bit of play this morning before I hit the chores.

1. Sun is almost completely down at camera left, but there is still a bit of pink in the sky. Ten minutes after this, the pink was all gone and the sky was that dark blue/purple twilight sky that I love. But, the mosquitoes love it too, so I jumped on the trike and headed out of there.

2. Playing with PicMonkey again... Lots of fun. This is a vignette and an overlay using "Paper Scrap" stretched out to cover the canvas. I think I used the Multiply blend mode, but can't remember.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Ooooh, lovely sunset photo, Patti ... love those colors, subtle yet spectacular! Nice reflection!

I'm taken with my brugs ... a few shots from this morning ... the first one done up with Topaz Simplify BuzSim Split Tone III ... the next a collage of two shots, same plant, same time of day, but different light angles, different backgrounds ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada, I enjoyed looking at your photos and thinking about some of the SYFOM concepts. The shadows got my attention in the first image. The two images in the collage, while shot at the same time are so incredibly different. Amazing to me what a different angle will make. Those beautiful brugs are so well defined by the negative space in the left image, and I just love the sense of depth in the right image. All cool to see!

I did a reshoot on the trike and turned it around for that tension Joe loves... I also tried some angled shots with the road moving left to right (the way we read) and right to left. Jubilada, you were right on the right to left one being the way to go at this spot. Trying the other direction lost my wonderful shadow. That won't do.

I also tried his idea of putting the handlebars in the trail to define them with the light colored negative space. Didn't work because I lost the shadow again. So, I found a spot where the trees were thinner and I could use the sky as NS.

Let me know what you guys think. I'll chime back in when Joe makes his comments.

These are just as they would be submitted for PPSOP - no cropping, no PS of any kind (ouch) - just resized to 72 ppi and 800 on longest side.

1 The one I submitted as my preference
2 Trail angled left to right
3 Angled right to left
4 Me being my usual stubborn self - ^_^ -

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, Patti, it's close ... but (being my usual stubborn self), I think I prefer number 3 over number 1. I think you should have submitted both, just to get his take on each one ... it's really a fairly subtle difference, but to me that diagonal angle is the stronger shot. I'm curious what Joe has to say. Nice work!

Memphis, TN

You know, without understanding all those terms that both of you have learned and employed, the only opinion I have is based on how something "hits my eye." I don't know if that would be of any benefit to you in your current endeavors, but here goes. I like the very first shot. Liked it when you posted it and still like it. I have to admit, though, I find that first one in the last set quite pleasing as well. It feels good to me. The last one as well. I do think my new favorite overall is #1 of this set. There is just the slightest gradient in the sky and that showcases the trike nicely. The long shadows are always a favorite for me and I really like those big old trees back there. Whether or not a road goes from left to right or right to left (in my mind) is defined more by the direction of the trike than anything else. Photo 1 goes left to right for me and Photo 4 goes right to left.

Well, as I said, I don't know if all of this is worth anything for your class but I'll be very interested in hearing about the outcome.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks you two. It is good to hear what others think. Jubi, I did post the first one and the two shots with the road angled. I didn't post my "stubborn" trike facing away from the edge of the frame shot. So, we'll see what Joe prefers. I never can second guess him. He and I have totally different ideas about all of the images the class submits.

I feel like I am "shooting to please Joe" in this class at this point. But, that's okay. I will shoot the way he directs and then I will choose (cafeteria style) the things I want to do later. The important thing I am learning is to shoot everything from all different angles and keep thinking about different ways to see things. It isn't enough to just walk around and look from different angles. You have to shoot or at least look through the camera to appreciate the different views. This last exercise with the trike was good.

I can see why so many people like this class. It is not easy and that is what makes it so good. I always feel as if I'm just on the edge of getting a concept when he throws a curve and I go back to kindergarten.

More later ...

Oh, I shot this a couple of days ago and played with it yesterday ... More PIc Monkey play

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, of course part of this class is "shooting to please Joe," ... I mean, you don't want to displease him, right? But I agree with you on the "cafeteria style" approach ... and I was often very surprised at how severely he critiqued other students' photos when I thought they were just great! So for me, there was kind of an "artistic" difference ... but the approach is unquestionably correct: look at something from all kinds of angles, really examine a scene ... and that 15PPP is just critical ... even if you can't get every point perfectly, at least you're training yourself to look at every point (or most of them ... sometimes I'm kind of scatter-brained) ... and quite frankly, I don't think I'll ever be able to get everything "in camera" like he does ...

That's a wonderful scraggly old bush/tree shot, Patti ... nice curved vanishing point, some negative space, and beautiful color ...

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

More brugs here ... this one has been treated with Topaz Simplify BuzSim Split Tone I ... Patti, the light angle is about 9 or 9:30 by Joe's clock.

A skipper, shot at the same time on an Indigo Spire ... horribly underexposed, so much post processing, including Topaz DeNoise, and then a crop to improve composition ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

The light on the brugs is lovely. Processing emphasizes the flowers. I guess I'll get the light angle lesson next week. We just got the 3rd week lesson and he barely mentioned angle - only a touch on angle of incidence.

Excellent work on the butterfly shot. Underexposed says "Noise" to me, but I don't see any, so you have mastered that Topaz DeNoise. I have Topaz DeNoise, but I went back to the Imagenomic software for noise handling. Every once in a while I try Topaz again, but I just can't seem to do as well with it even when I follow the approach they give in the tutorials.

Got the Lighting and Color lesson today. Maybe I can get a shot at the football game tonight that will be all about light - Friday Night Lights and all that... Have to be careful though. For some strange reason, other folks don't share our Texan love of high school football. ^_^ Ah, but Joe is a Texan. LOL. He should "get it."

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

You know Patti, I once worked with a fellow who thought that high school football was the end all and be all of sports events. He insisted that most people didn't know just how exciting it was ... I am one of those people. I don't even like grown-up football!

I waited in vain for the space shuttle to fly over Palo Alto today ... I was a day late and a dollar short, I guess. The shuttle was late taking off from Sacramento, and it threw me off completely. It was supposed to fly over between 9:30 and 10:00. I took a break between 10:30 and around 11, and guess what ... it flew over at 10:40! Phooey! Nevertheless, I got a whole bunch of airplane pictures and sky and a little junko sitting on a pole bean teepee and made a collage.

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Jubilada, that collage is just about the most unique composition I've seen! I would never have thought to take those elements and do something like that! I simply love what you did with those planes....! Your creativity knows no bounds.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ditto what Miss Mary said. Fantastic images of planes! And the cutouts arranged as you have them remind me of a windmill. I keep expecting to see them start turning. That is so cool!

I applaud your efforts on the shuttle flyover. I stayed as far away from all that traffic as possible. The freeways around here were jam packed when it landed in Houston.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

OK. Patti, I'm waiting for the Friday Night Lights ...

In the meantime ... a silly Brug Flip with various manipulations ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Oh, the Brug flip looks like a quilt...and it appears to have a silk texture. I'll let Patti find all the mysterious patterns in it! That's so pretty and colorful, Jubilada!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

No Friday Night Lights. The sunset was blah and stadium lights alone were boring. Maybe the next game.

Love the colors in the flip - golds and greens all blending together in a wonderful pattern.

Memphis, TN

Here's a (double) kaleido I made from a photo of my Milkweed, with red Coleus and red Salvia in the background. Looks kind of quiltish, too.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Oooh, Miss Mary, that's very pretty! And yes, kind of quiltish!

Memphis, TN

Thank you. Too bad the computer doesn't turn out objects to our specifications, huh? Maybe in a few years....

Here's another double kaleido. The original was a photo of an American Lady Butterfly on my Butterfly Bush.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary, Two beautiful kaleidos! The first one does look like a quilt - both texture and pattern. I especially like the second with all the butterfly spots that look like cartoon eyes.

Actually, the computer does turn out objects to our specifications. A friend uses her computer to generate beautiful stitchery. She usually buys the artwork or I've put together a few things for her. She has a program that will "translate" a png file to a file her sewing machine will understand.

So, the artwork is created in the computer and then converted and then loaded into memory in her fancy shmancy sewing machine (a Brother machine, I think). She loads up all the appropriate colors of embroidery thread and whatever object (shirt, hat, etc) she is sewing then hits "go." She returns after an hour or so to find a beautifully embroidered shirt or hat or bag or whatever...

She is like a kid in a toy store with that thing - buying all sorts of new attachments and getting better and better at it.

Memphis, TN

Oh my gosh, I had no idea! Wow, I need to keep my ear to the ground when it comes to the world of technology....I want to be one of the first to get an electric ice box as soon as someone invents it!

Seriously, that is some sewing machine. I really am far, far behind when it comes to new-fangled stuff. I'll bet it's really easy to get addicted to playing with that toy!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL. I'm working on that ice box. I'll let you know when I have it perfected.

Playing with Mini-Worlds today. Can't go out and play - nasty cold since Friday night. Almost done with it though. Chicken soup really does work.

1. One of the Pleasure Pier images. Looks sort of Sci-Fi.
2. Photographers lined up and capturing the sunset.

I made the frames by adding canvas in two different colors, selecting the added canvas and doing a Blur > Radial in Zoom mode. I did it at about 40% of the full setting and then I immediately went to Edit > Fade Blur and adjusted it so that it looked like a frame. I will probably play with this some more. There are many possibilities.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Whew ... those are fun mini-worlds Patti. I find your frame making method intriguing ... think I'll try if I can figure it out!

Sorry about your wretched cold ... nothing worse. Get better soon ... lots of chicken soup!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Jubilada. I am feeling a lot better - another day of soup and liquids and I think I'll be good to go.

One more mini-world - Total silliness.

1. Remember this fisheye of the pier ...
2. Now it's a bug.

You just never know what's going to happen with this polar coordinates thing.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL, that's very cute, Patti!

Memphis, TN

Nice mini-worlds, Patti, especially the pier! Hope you're feeling much better tomorrow. Chicken soup really does do wonders.

Four more kaleidos from me tonight. The original photos were:

1. A stand of Furman's Red Salvia
2. A stand of Blue Salvia
3. A clump of Zinnias in the bright sun with deep shadows
4. An American Lady Butterfly wing

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, Miss Mary, what a wonderful bunch of kaleidos! They all look like very intricately painted porcelain plates! The American Lady Butterfly wing is especially lovely! Nice work!

Patti, I tried to play around with your "framing" method, and probably am missing the boat somehow ... here's an example ... the frame turned out pretty subtle, so I added a "bevel and emboss" to it.

Other than that, there's a FREE program I came across today, called PhotoFrame FREE:

https://www.ononesoftware.com/products/photoframe-free/?ref=demo_email_init

Anyhow, I've played around with it a bit, and maybe am getting the hang of it ... need to work at it more, but here are a couple of examples. Looks like it has possibilities.

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary,

Beautiful kaleidos. I love the colors and contrasts in 3 and 4. #3 has an effect that looks like a string of Christmas lights around the outer edges.

Jubilada,

I will check out that framing software. Free is always good. I didn't think OnOne gave anything away for free. They seemed to have their filters priced way too high last time I checked them out. I found that if I tried that framing technique on a larger (300dpi) file, it didn't work so well. I've been running it on 72 ppi files. I think you keep your files fairly high resolution, so that might be why it didn't do much.

Love the brugs and the flower and vase on the last one are so pretty!

Different way of adding the texture file for blending with an image:

I thought it was interesting how Denise pulls in the texture file. I've never used the Place command before. I don't know if it's available in PSE.

http://naturevisions.org/archives/3537

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

OK, Patti, that answers my question about that framing technique ... my files are generally always 240-300 dpi.

I checked out that link. Interesting. I've used the "place" command before, but not for blending in a texture layer. "Placing" a file makes it a smart object, so it's easy to resize without losing image integrity. Here are some of what I've been fooling around with today:

First, another PhotoFrame thing. Yes, they want to sell you the "whole enchilada," which isn't particularly cheap, and this "free" thing is somewhat of a teaser. By the way, there is a Photoshop Elements version, as well.

Some experiments with photos of a pretty stand of Pampas Grass ... I used "place file" in the second one to add a texture, which I then altered with a blending mode, and then I "placed" one of my Art Nouveau "frames" and manipulated it as well.

The next two are "re-treads" of previous posts demonstrating more of the frame "placing." It's a fun technique, and I like the results.

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ah, so the Smart Object is the reason for using Place. I didn't know about that. I downloaded the 64 bit version of the framing software, but I can't get it to work for some reason and can't spend much time on it since I have another problem with Photoshop. I have to leave Photoshop running all the time. If I close it and then try to start it again, it will start popping up a bunch of run-time errors that I have to click through. I've searched for a fix, but nothing yet.

I really like the textures and the frame on the first image, but I think I would prefer less frame and more of those beautiful brugs. The second image is gorgeous! That blue sky is wonderful and the grasses are so lovely. I like the idea of the frame "placing." I did that on some of my Italy photos with an old wrought iron gate that I shot at one of the hotels. But, I didn't use the Place feature (Was it in CS5?), so had to use a large "frame" image and scale it down for the blend.

I got out this morning and pulled out all of my straggling pepper plants - the only thing left in my garden. I started turning the soil getting ready to plant my fall garden, but this cold isn't done with me yet. My body kindly informed me that I needed to get my sick self back inside and drink more chicken soup broth. So, I did and I am going stir crazy.

I'm hoping to get out before Friday and get some photos for this class. I am waaaaaay behind. I need to get some more Tension shots for last week's assignment since I still don't have a really good grip on that concept. And I need some Lighting and Color shots for this week. I also need to get out and get a photo of a silver V. Cripes. The Mazda emblem is a silver V, but it is a weird looking V. I'm hoping to get some of the support structure at the stadium - it's steel, so silver and it does have some places where it forms a V. So, I can hopefully get that one done with something fairly interesting, but not anywhere near as interesting as some of Joe's examples.

I need to try to come up with some other silver Vs...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.