-
AuthorContent
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9276819

OK, folks, time for a new thread ... let's keep the creativity rolling!

We're coming from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273121/#new

If you can stand it, here's one more of that Gamble Garden Gazebo ... really processed to the max (and, with a PicMonkey frame ... yep, I broke down and tried it out) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9277021

An Old Sunflower kaleido ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9277065

Thanks for the new thread, Jubilada. I like the processing on the GG gazebo. It is so cheerful and inviting. The kaleido reminds me of an electronmicroscope image of pollen. Cool!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9278147

On my walk today ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9278599

Jubilada,

How I would love to have that irregular stone walk leading up to my door. Beautiful. Wonderful idea to put all of the entryways together in a collage.You certainly see things that I would pass right by. Each image is so nicely composed and squared up.

p
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9279294

Well, of course I did a little perspective cropping on one, and a little cropping on another one of those ... so, not all of them "in camera" ... I am trying to shoot straighter, however ...

Here's one that's not straight on purpose ... one of my brug blooms done up with Topaz's new upgraded Simplify filter, Buz Sim filter something or other ... plus a frame. This image was cropped, as well, but nothing else was removed from the frame ... so that really is all blue sky in the background ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9279468

Oh, gosh! I like everything about that brug creation. Colors and texture on the frame complement the photo perfectly. The flower is a lovely color and lit beautifully. The leaves are glowing and that is a wonderful color of blue sky with the light edges - is that called a reverse vignette? I don't know.

I have to go do a reshoot in my class tomorrow. That instructor is the energizer bunny. He critiques the images usually within hours of when we post them and then he has all these cool ideas for us to try. I'm worn out and we only just started the second week.

Here's one I just submitted.

This is what I said when I submitted it:
Plan was to use VP and a close foreground object to create a 3D sense of depth. In framing, I tried to get as close to the trike as possible but still get all of its shadow. Unfortunately, I didn't pay as close attention to the 15PPP as I should have. The dead tree trunk on the left edge should not be there and would have been easy to remove if I had noticed it. I also would have preferred to see some negative space around the handlebars of the trike, but couldn't find a place to make that happen.

He liked the Vanishing Point. He liked the shadow of the trike. He wasn't too concerned about the dead tree. But he did want me to make a change and reshoot. Jubilada, can you guess what he wanted to change? I'll bet you can. Hint: This weeks lesson is about Perspective and Tension.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9279507

I already said it, that Joe is indefatigable! Seriously, I don't know how he does it!

Nevertheless, that's a great photo Patti, and I'm sure Joe liked it, especially those shadows. Now, I'll guess that he'd want that bike pointed in the other direction, going OUT of the photo ... right? And, from my own personal "perspective," I'd like to see that pathway on a diagonal across the photo, going from bottom right to top left ... what do you think? Can that be done, even? I think that would be good tension! Keep us posted!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9279520

You got it! And he also pointed out that I could have very easily created negative space around the handlebars if I had just moved the front of the bike out into the path. Well, duh. I was thinking of having blue sky around them. My brain never even saw the possibility of using the light colored path. He is good!

I don't think that I will like the trike moving out of the frame, but I'm going to keep an open mind and do it. And, I like your idea too. I will give that a try. I might see if I can find a place where I can make the diagonal go from bottom left to top right too. I think he said that the eye usually starts at the bottom of the photo and if possible should move left to right since that's the way we read ... ??? or something like that. He says so much stuff and I start losing track. I need to reread my notes.

More later ...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 18, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9279546

Wow, lots of cool stuff here today.

Thanks for starting a new thread, Jubilada...your opening piece reminds me of a postage stamp. It would make a nice one and I'd certainly go in and buy a sheet if it were! I really really really like your Doorways and Gates collage...it is so inviting and friendly! I find myself trying to think of some lovely verses about pathways as I look at those images.

Now, Patti, I like that trike on the path with the elongated shadows! So many elements to take in...I feel I've just pulled over to the side of the gravel path and am enjoying the moment. It is a very relaxing composition and, although it misses the mark for a class assignment, it hits the spot for me. I'm looking forward to what you come up with for a second attempt. I know I'm going to love it.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9279547

OK, Patti, looking forward to your next post ... btw, I meant to say this, that is such a swell trike! Gosh, I need to get one of those! Thing is, I'd get killed on our "residential" roadways ... a bicycle is much thinner ... and that doesn't guarantee any safety either!

Edited because mine crossed in cyberspace with Miss Mary's post.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2012 8:26 PM
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9279862

A bit of play this morning before I hit the chores.

1. Sun is almost completely down at camera left, but there is still a bit of pink in the sky. Ten minutes after this, the pink was all gone and the sky was that dark blue/purple twilight sky that I love. But, the mosquitoes love it too, so I jumped on the trike and headed out of there.

2. Playing with PicMonkey again... Lots of fun. This is a vignette and an overlay using "Paper Scrap" stretched out to cover the canvas. I think I used the Multiply blend mode, but can't remember.

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9280261

Ooooh, lovely sunset photo, Patti ... love those colors, subtle yet spectacular! Nice reflection!

I'm taken with my brugs ... a few shots from this morning ... the first one done up with Topaz Simplify BuzSim Split Tone III ... the next a collage of two shots, same plant, same time of day, but different light angles, different backgrounds ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada         

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9280986

Jubilada, I enjoyed looking at your photos and thinking about some of the SYFOM concepts. The shadows got my attention in the first image. The two images in the collage, while shot at the same time are so incredibly different. Amazing to me what a different angle will make. Those beautiful brugs are so well defined by the negative space in the left image, and I just love the sense of depth in the right image. All cool to see!

I did a reshoot on the trike and turned it around for that tension Joe loves... I also tried some angled shots with the road moving left to right (the way we read) and right to left. Jubilada, you were right on the right to left one being the way to go at this spot. Trying the other direction lost my wonderful shadow. That won't do.

I also tried his idea of putting the handlebars in the trail to define them with the light colored negative space. Didn't work because I lost the shadow again. So, I found a spot where the trees were thinner and I could use the sky as NS.

Let me know what you guys think. I'll chime back in when Joe makes his comments.

These are just as they would be submitted for PPSOP - no cropping, no PS of any kind (ouch) - just resized to 72 ppi and 800 on longest side.

1 The one I submitted as my preference
2 Trail angled left to right
3 Angled right to left
4 Me being my usual stubborn self - :-) -

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9281012

Well, Patti, it's close ... but (being my usual stubborn self), I think I prefer number 3 over number 1. I think you should have submitted both, just to get his take on each one ... it's really a fairly subtle difference, but to me that diagonal angle is the stronger shot. I'm curious what Joe has to say. Nice work!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 20, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9281043

You know, without understanding all those terms that both of you have learned and employed, the only opinion I have is based on how something "hits my eye." I don't know if that would be of any benefit to you in your current endeavors, but here goes. I like the very first shot. Liked it when you posted it and still like it. I have to admit, though, I find that first one in the last set quite pleasing as well. It feels good to me. The last one as well. I do think my new favorite overall is #1 of this set. There is just the slightest gradient in the sky and that showcases the trike nicely. The long shadows are always a favorite for me and I really like those big old trees back there. Whether or not a road goes from left to right or right to left (in my mind) is defined more by the direction of the trike than anything else. Photo 1 goes left to right for me and Photo 4 goes right to left.

Well, as I said, I don't know if all of this is worth anything for your class but I'll be very interested in hearing about the outcome.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9281070

Thanks you two. It is good to hear what others think. Jubi, I did post the first one and the two shots with the road angled. I didn't post my "stubborn" trike facing away from the edge of the frame shot. So, we'll see what Joe prefers. I never can second guess him. He and I have totally different ideas about all of the images the class submits.

I feel like I am "shooting to please Joe" in this class at this point. But, that's okay. I will shoot the way he directs and then I will choose (cafeteria style) the things I want to do later. The important thing I am learning is to shoot everything from all different angles and keep thinking about different ways to see things. It isn't enough to just walk around and look from different angles. You have to shoot or at least look through the camera to appreciate the different views. This last exercise with the trike was good.

I can see why so many people like this class. It is not easy and that is what makes it so good. I always feel as if I'm just on the edge of getting a concept when he throws a curve and I go back to kindergarten.

More later ...

Oh, I shot this a couple of days ago and played with it yesterday ... More PIc Monkey play

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9281087

Patti, of course part of this class is "shooting to please Joe," ... I mean, you don't want to displease him, right? But I agree with you on the "cafeteria style" approach ... and I was often very surprised at how severely he critiqued other students' photos when I thought they were just great! So for me, there was kind of an "artistic" difference ... but the approach is unquestionably correct: look at something from all kinds of angles, really examine a scene ... and that 15PPP is just critical ... even if you can't get every point perfectly, at least you're training yourself to look at every point (or most of them ... sometimes I'm kind of scatter-brained) ... and quite frankly, I don't think I'll ever be able to get everything "in camera" like he does ...

That's a wonderful scraggly old bush/tree shot, Patti ... nice curved vanishing point, some negative space, and beautiful color ...
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9281544

More brugs here ... this one has been treated with Topaz Simplify BuzSim Split Tone I ... Patti, the light angle is about 9 or 9:30 by Joe's clock.

A skipper, shot at the same time on an Indigo Spire ... horribly underexposed, so much post processing, including Topaz DeNoise, and then a crop to improve composition ...

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9281966

The light on the brugs is lovely. Processing emphasizes the flowers. I guess I'll get the light angle lesson next week. We just got the 3rd week lesson and he barely mentioned angle - only a touch on angle of incidence.

Excellent work on the butterfly shot. Underexposed says "Noise" to me, but I don't see any, so you have mastered that Topaz DeNoise. I have Topaz DeNoise, but I went back to the Imagenomic software for noise handling. Every once in a while I try Topaz again, but I just can't seem to do as well with it even when I follow the approach they give in the tutorials.

Got the Lighting and Color lesson today. Maybe I can get a shot at the football game tonight that will be all about light - Friday Night Lights and all that... Have to be careful though. For some strange reason, other folks don't share our Texan love of high school football. :-) Ah, but Joe is a Texan. LOL. He should "get it."

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9282466

You know Patti, I once worked with a fellow who thought that high school football was the end all and be all of sports events. He insisted that most people didn't know just how exciting it was ... I am one of those people. I don't even like grown-up football!

I waited in vain for the space shuttle to fly over Palo Alto today ... I was a day late and a dollar short, I guess. The shuttle was late taking off from Sacramento, and it threw me off completely. It was supposed to fly over between 9:30 and 10:00. I took a break between 10:30 and around 11, and guess what ... it flew over at 10:40! Phooey! Nevertheless, I got a whole bunch of airplane pictures and sky and a little junko sitting on a pole bean teepee and made a collage.

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 21, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9282563

Jubilada, that collage is just about the most unique composition I've seen! I would never have thought to take those elements and do something like that! I simply love what you did with those planes...! Your creativity knows no bounds.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9282703

Ditto what Miss Mary said. Fantastic images of planes! And the cutouts arranged as you have them remind me of a windmill. I keep expecting to see them start turning. That is so cool!

I applaud your efforts on the shuttle flyover. I stayed as far away from all that traffic as possible. The freeways around here were jam packed when it landed in Houston.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9283496

OK. Patti, I'm waiting for the Friday Night Lights ...

In the meantime ... a silly Brug Flip with various manipulations ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 22, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9283599

Oh, the Brug flip looks like a quilt...and it appears to have a silk texture. I'll let Patti find all the mysterious patterns in it! That's so pretty and colorful, Jubilada!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9283759

No Friday Night Lights. The sunset was blah and stadium lights alone were boring. Maybe the next game.

Love the colors in the flip - golds and greens all blending together in a wonderful pattern.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 23, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9284403

Here's a (double) kaleido I made from a photo of my Milkweed, with red Coleus and red Salvia in the background. Looks kind of quiltish, too.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9284436

Oooh, Miss Mary, that's very pretty! And yes, kind of quiltish!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 23, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9284517

Thank you. Too bad the computer doesn't turn out objects to our specifications, huh? Maybe in a few years...

Here's another double kaleido. The original was a photo of an American Lady Butterfly on my Butterfly Bush.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9284676

Miss Mary, Two beautiful kaleidos! The first one does look like a quilt - both texture and pattern. I especially like the second with all the butterfly spots that look like cartoon eyes.

Actually, the computer does turn out objects to our specifications. A friend uses her computer to generate beautiful stitchery. She usually buys the artwork or I've put together a few things for her. She has a program that will "translate" a png file to a file her sewing machine will understand.

So, the artwork is created in the computer and then converted and then loaded into memory in her fancy shmancy sewing machine (a Brother machine, I think). She loads up all the appropriate colors of embroidery thread and whatever object (shirt, hat, etc) she is sewing then hits "go." She returns after an hour or so to find a beautifully embroidered shirt or hat or bag or whatever...

She is like a kid in a toy store with that thing - buying all sorts of new attachments and getting better and better at it.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 24, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9284704

Oh my gosh, I had no idea! Wow, I need to keep my ear to the ground when it comes to the world of technology...I want to be one of the first to get an electric ice box as soon as someone invents it!

Seriously, that is some sewing machine. I really am far, far behind when it comes to new-fangled stuff. I'll bet it's really easy to get addicted to playing with that toy!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9284774

LOL. I'm working on that ice box. I'll let you know when I have it perfected.

Playing with Mini-Worlds today. Can't go out and play - nasty cold since Friday night. Almost done with it though. Chicken soup really does work.

1. One of the Pleasure Pier images. Looks sort of Sci-Fi.
2. Photographers lined up and capturing the sunset.

I made the frames by adding canvas in two different colors, selecting the added canvas and doing a Blur > Radial in Zoom mode. I did it at about 40% of the full setting and then I immediately went to Edit > Fade Blur and adjusted it so that it looked like a frame. I will probably play with this some more. There are many possibilities.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9285245

Whew ... those are fun mini-worlds Patti. I find your frame making method intriguing ... think I'll try if I can figure it out!

Sorry about your wretched cold ... nothing worse. Get better soon ... lots of chicken soup!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9285293

Thanks, Jubilada. I am feeling a lot better - another day of soup and liquids and I think I'll be good to go.

One more mini-world - Total silliness.

1. Remember this fisheye of the pier ...
2. Now it's a bug.

You just never know what's going to happen with this polar coordinates thing.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9285325

LOL, that's very cute, Patti!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 24, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9285400

Nice mini-worlds, Patti, especially the pier! Hope you're feeling much better tomorrow. Chicken soup really does do wonders.

Four more kaleidos from me tonight. The original photos were:

1. A stand of Furman's Red Salvia
2. A stand of Blue Salvia
3. A clump of Zinnias in the bright sun with deep shadows
4. An American Lady Butterfly wing

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9285470

Well, Miss Mary, what a wonderful bunch of kaleidos! They all look like very intricately painted porcelain plates! The American Lady Butterfly wing is especially lovely! Nice work!

Patti, I tried to play around with your "framing" method, and probably am missing the boat somehow ... here's an example ... the frame turned out pretty subtle, so I added a "bevel and emboss" to it.

Other than that, there's a FREE program I came across today, called PhotoFrame FREE:

[HYPERLINK@www.ononesoftware.com]

Anyhow, I've played around with it a bit, and maybe am getting the hang of it ... need to work at it more, but here are a couple of examples. Looks like it has possibilities.

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada      

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9285966

Miss Mary,

Beautiful kaleidos. I love the colors and contrasts in 3 and 4. #3 has an effect that looks like a string of Christmas lights around the outer edges.

Jubilada,

I will check out that framing software. Free is always good. I didn't think OnOne gave anything away for free. They seemed to have their filters priced way too high last time I checked them out. I found that if I tried that framing technique on a larger (300dpi) file, it didn't work so well. I've been running it on 72 ppi files. I think you keep your files fairly high resolution, so that might be why it didn't do much.

Love the brugs and the flower and vase on the last one are so pretty!

Different way of adding the texture file for blending with an image:

I thought it was interesting how Denise pulls in the texture file. I've never used the Place command before. I don't know if it's available in PSE.

http://naturevisions.org/archives/3537

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9286299

OK, Patti, that answers my question about that framing technique ... my files are generally always 240-300 dpi.

I checked out that link. Interesting. I've used the "place" command before, but not for blending in a texture layer. "Placing" a file makes it a smart object, so it's easy to resize without losing image integrity. Here are some of what I've been fooling around with today:

First, another PhotoFrame thing. Yes, they want to sell you the "whole enchilada," which isn't particularly cheap, and this "free" thing is somewhat of a teaser. By the way, there is a Photoshop Elements version, as well.

Some experiments with photos of a pretty stand of Pampas Grass ... I used "place file" in the second one to add a texture, which I then altered with a blending mode, and then I "placed" one of my Art Nouveau "frames" and manipulated it as well.

The next two are "re-treads" of previous posts demonstrating more of the frame "placing." It's a fun technique, and I like the results.

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9286336

Ah, so the Smart Object is the reason for using Place. I didn't know about that. I downloaded the 64 bit version of the framing software, but I can't get it to work for some reason and can't spend much time on it since I have another problem with Photoshop. I have to leave Photoshop running all the time. If I close it and then try to start it again, it will start popping up a bunch of run-time errors that I have to click through. I've searched for a fix, but nothing yet.

I really like the textures and the frame on the first image, but I think I would prefer less frame and more of those beautiful brugs. The second image is gorgeous! That blue sky is wonderful and the grasses are so lovely. I like the idea of the frame "placing." I did that on some of my Italy photos with an old wrought iron gate that I shot at one of the hotels. But, I didn't use the Place feature (Was it in CS5?), so had to use a large "frame" image and scale it down for the blend.

I got out this morning and pulled out all of my straggling pepper plants - the only thing left in my garden. I started turning the soil getting ready to plant my fall garden, but this cold isn't done with me yet. My body kindly informed me that I needed to get my sick self back inside and drink more chicken soup broth. So, I did and I am going stir crazy.

I'm hoping to get out before Friday and get some photos for this class. I am waaaaaay behind. I need to get some more Tension shots for last week's assignment since I still don't have a really good grip on that concept. And I need some Lighting and Color shots for this week. I also need to get out and get a photo of a silver V. Cripes. The Mazda emblem is a silver V, but it is a weird looking V. I'm hoping to get some of the support structure at the stadium - it's steel, so silver and it does have some places where it forms a V. So, I can hopefully get that one done with something fairly interesting, but not anywhere near as interesting as some of Joe's examples.

I need to try to come up with some other silver Vs...
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9286363

A silver V, eh? Hmmmm ... the stadium might be a good place to catch one ... or, you could manufacture one ... how about two silver knives on a bright colored plate shaped like a V? Of course, remember, it has to have the appearance of being "in context" (something I did not follow in my "gestalt rich" first attempts). How about a silver chain, left draped on some contrasting material, casually left in the shape of a "V"?

Sorry about that nagging cold ... I'm afraid that our age, these things hang on, and it's so darned dreadful! Yuk! Have a hot toddy before bed.

I have one jalapeρo pepper left to pull out, but it's produced a nice bunch of very mild peppers, so I'll let it go for a while longer.

The tomatoes are ready to go, pretty much. I'm getting beds ready for fava beans, onions, and garlic. Already have planted cabbage, kale, chard and cauliflower.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9286377

Good ideas! Thanks. Fave beans - that's something I've wanted to try. I need to look for seeds again. No luck last time. I meant to order some, but, I'll blame that on age too - forgot.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9286392

Fava beans: try

http://www.groworganic.com

$2.29 for a pound (the seeds are viable for several years) ...item #SCL705 ... (you'll need a Pea-Vetch inoculant, too) ... they should be planted a couple of weeks before the first frost, to give them time to germinate and grow a little ... I usually plant mine the end of October, first week of November ... give it a shot!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9286428

Pea Vetch inoculant! I had to read about it. Never heard of it. Cool. Something new to learn about. Will order some seeds and inoculant tomorrow. Thanks!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 25, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9286524

That has my curiosity up, but I'm going to save it for tomorrow...

Jubilada, I do like that Pampas Grass in the blue frame. Wow, so pretty! Like Patti, I think those Brugs need to outweigh their frames. They're just too beautiful...

1. Kaleido made from some flowers at Dixon Gardens today. I don't know what they are. They remind me of Russian Sage but they're way more colorful and the blooms are bigger.
2. Fountain at Dixon Gardens (Topaz Adjust)
3. The Dogwoods here are beginning to color up and are bearing their fruit. (Topaz Adjust)

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary      

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9286779

Miss Mary, I think the Kaliedo flowers are probably Mexican Sage. Very pretty kaleido, by the way. You've reminded me it's time to keep an eye on the Dogwoods in my neighborhood! NIce shot!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9286802

Miss Mary,

Whatever the flowers are, they are a beautiful color! And, ditto what Jubilada said about the dogwoods. I have a few dogwood trees on Lake DoLittle, so in addition to needing to go up there and mow (sigh), I need to check out the dogwoods. I collected some seeds from those trees a few years ago, but I guess I need an inoculant ( :-) ) to make them grow. They don't want to grow out there or at home in a pot or ... Why am I thinking of Dr. Seuss? Seriously, I need to find out how to collect and plant Dogwood seeds. I'd love to have a whole grove of dogwoods out there. And Redbud trees too. I only have one Redbud that I know of, but I haven't seen all 30 acres, so who knows what's lurking back in those woods. I'm off to Google.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 26, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9286842

Jubilada, you are right. I googled Mexican Sage and, by golly, you nailed it! It sure is pretty stuff.

Patti, today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You...a bit of Dr. Seuss wisdom for your day.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9286914

Miss Mary, I will never get too old for Dr. Seuss. And, that bit of wisdom is truer than true. Thanks for that! And thanks for getting me moving on those dogwoods at just the right time!

I found out that those Dogwood seed have to be scarified. Oh, I know so little. I am hoping that there will still be some seeds left out there next week. I will collect some and hopefully get them softened, separated from the pulp, nicked and planted in a couple of weeks for the fall planting and then I'll dry out some of the cleaned seeds and go through the refrigerator scarification process to plant some in the spring.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9287232

Miss Mary, I sure like that Dr. Seuss wisdom of the day ... how true, how true ...

Glass Pumpkin Festival Time in Palo Alto, so a collage and a kaleido ...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 26, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9287287

Oh, wow...that's some kaleido! It's just bursting with goodies! That is so cleverly put together, so pleasantly arranged. You did a bang-up job on that, for sure. What a nice collage, too! Love those gnarled trees.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 26, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9287564

From my stroll through Dixon Gardens Tuesday afternoon...

1. This one was taken from waaaaaay across the main lawn and it was a hazy day. I wanted to see how clear it would be using that much zoom. I selected the statue and used Topaz Adjust on it. I like the "statue in the fog" look.

2. The Dixon Mansion (also Topaz Adjust)

3. Don't know why this appealed to me. Shot it and Topazzed it.

4. I used the "I Feel Lucky" selector to come up with this in Adjust.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9288241

Miss Mary, nice selection of Dixon Gardens photos ... the statue is quite intriguing, standing there in the "fog," she has a rather hazy look on her face, eh? ... number three has lots of interesting lines and textures and shapes ... and number four is just very Fall!

From my walk yesterday, some architecture stuff:
• United Methodist Church detail 1 (cropped and straightened)
• United Methodist Church detail 2
• Bonnet House on Bryant, porch view from front gate (cropped and straightened, and some vibrancy adjustments through layers)
• Same Bonnet House, porch view from side gate (Lincoln) (ditto)
• Oh, nothing architectural here ... just that the Liquidambar trees are changing color already! (lots of manipulation, topaz and new sky)

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9288242

And, finally, a zinnia flip (original photo of a little volunteer zinnia) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9288311

Jubilada,

The images in the glass pumpkin collage are all wonderful - so full of color and lots of depth in the compositions. Me too on those gnarled trees. They ooze character. I could photograph them all day. If you have any more glass pumpkin images, I'd love to see them, especially close ups. They look so beautiful and each one seems to be unique.

Miss Mary,

That zoom really did concentrate the haze. I think that statue is squinting to try to see you through the fog. Nice diagonal line on the Dixon Mansion shot. I look for these things now. LOL. I can certainly see why #3 appealed to you - all the wonderful lines of the wooden fence and the wire fence and the contrast of the softer, rounded shapes of the leaves. Love the contrasting red and green colors in that last one!

Jubilada,

That church is fascinating! So many lines and shapes and textures. It has peaks on its peaks. It is the work of a very creative "out of the box" architect. Love all of the reflections you captured in the first Bonnet House image. And the second one is wonderful - so cleverly seen and photographed. Congrats on getting the foreground and the background in sharp focus. That is an awesome photo! Beautiful colors on the tree! I remember that same corner view from last year.

That is one flippin' cool flip. I love all of the patterns and colors. There are creepy crawlies galore in there. Very cool.

Finally felt back to normal today. Yesterday, I finished turning all the soil for planting the fall garden seeds and added in some additional top soil so that the level is almost up to the top of the wooden frame. This morning I went out early and got everything planted. Now I just wait. The radishes should be up in just 4 or 5 days. 10 or so days for the rest of the stuff to peek out. Then the fights with the critters will begin. I probably should cover the seedlings with something ... I still have a little section waiting for Fava Bean seeds. Yummmm. Hopefully I won't get them too late.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9288380

Thanks, Patti ... unfortunately, I had a very small window of opportunity for those Glass Pumpkin shots (between 4:30 and 5 p.m. on the Tuesday), and while I took over 40 pictures, those seen in the collage are the only ones I considered "acceptable." I wanted to get back for some morning shots, but it's been overcast and gloomy every morning, and those lovely little pumpkins want to have some kind of sunlight on them. Oh, well. You did see my shots from last year, right?

Glad to hear you're feeling back to normal (yay!), and have you considered using row cover to protect your baby seedlings? That groworganic.com (Peaceful Valley Farms) offers a number of grades of row cover (agro-fabric). I use it now and then, depending on what I'm growing. It allows light and moisture, and protects against varmints, insects and frost. Check it out.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9288445

Jubilada, Yes, I do remember your pumpkins from last year and I also remember wishing I could see more of them then too. They are just so pretty. You mentioned the row cover when I was having problems with the birdies eating my baby okra plants. I did look into it, but DH built me that little box. It was great for the little area I planted the okra, but that box won't cover the whole garden. I will look into the row cover again. Maybe a local nursery has some.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9289768

I really should be careful what I wish for ...

1. I saw this little frog (or is it a toad? I dunno), but the little beast would not turn around and look at me no matter what I did.
2. So, I used Pixel Bender to make him look at me. Eeeeek. Now, he's a scary little beast. :-)

Yesterday morning the rain started. Not too bad at the game last night, mostly just annoying sprinkles, but no moon - the clouds ate it. It started up again early this morning and is still raining. Not going to be a nice weekend and moon photography is out of the question.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9290837

Radishes sprouted. They look a little yellowish. Hope all this rain is not drowning out my garden. Next should be the swiss chard and around the same time or soon after the broccoli and cauliflower.

Sorry for lousy quality of images - they are with iPhone - too lazy to get real camera. :-)

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 1, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9292932

Freaky froggy, Patti. Kind of reminds me of a dragon! That garden spot looks sweet and I know you're excited.

I guess I'm just stuck in kaleido mode these days...

1. Painted Lady on Painted Lady Wing Kaleido
2. Monarch Wing
3. Salvia
4. Hosta

This message was edited Oct 1, 2012 7:29 PM

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9293003

Patti, that little froggy (toady) whats-it is pretty cute, and a little scary, too! I've been waiting to see your Silver V ... cute little radish sprouts!

My kale and chard are really growing now, since we've had a couple of very warm days!

Miss Mary, very pretty kaleidos! Number one is especially lovely, that 3-D-ish butterfly is the icing on the cake! Number 4 also caught my eye!

I was quite busy this weekend. Friday went to Oakland for a Tea and Tour of a historic home ... here's a collage. The tea was top notch, one of the best I've attended. All the goodies were home made, and the scones and clotted cream were to die for!

Friday night I did the annual 5K Moonlight Walk/Run (I walked) ... I've discovered that I can start well ahead of the pack (by about 1/2 hour) which means I can kind of take my time and maybe a couple of snaps ... Here are a few ...

Edit: (Ooops, I hit "send" before I meant to ...)

The walk route goes through part of the Baylands Preserve, which includes:
• the golf course
• a bridge

This message was edited Oct 1, 2012 7:13 PM

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9293013

OK, that's not right either ... so we'll continue with:

• a bridge
• sky and airport runways
• more sky
• airport control tower
• Nature Center and there's the moon

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9293016

And finally ... sunset sky over the Baylands ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9293021

On Saturday went to SF to spend the night before the Bridge to Bridge Walk/Run (I walked) on Sunday ... dined at One Market, and it was fabulous. On Sunday it was actually WARM in SF and a gorgeous day! I managed to maintain a 15 minute mile, and finished 15th in my division (that would be old ladies) ... not many photos, but of course the requisite Golden Gate Bridge, and then a house out near the end of the race at Crissy Field ...

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
1:24 AM

Post #9293239

Miss Mary, I enjoyed seeing all of those kaleidos, but the one with the Painted Lady perched on his/her "wreath" is my favorite. Beautiful photo of the butterfly!

Jubilada, You have been busy! So much fun reading about your adventures. How cool to be able to spend the night in SF. The images in the collage are so lovely. That red, red lamp stands out and begs attention. I was particularly intrigued by the table full of beautiful china and vases and that hanging lamp/lantern/whatever it is called.

The light is glowing on that bridge railing and those skies are gorgeous. I love the shot with the clouds reflecting in the water. Oh to be able to shoot that one with a tripod and a looooong exposure to smooth out the water. You have to go do this again when you don't have to participate in the races and can devote time to photography! Ditto for the GG Bridge, but you would have needed at least a 4 stop and maybe a 10 stop Neutral Density filter to get a long shutter speed on that one at that time of day.

Sweet composition of that house! Joe would love that one. That shadow leading into the image is brilliant!

You got the moon! Way cool. No moons to be had around here - cloudy every day for the past 4 or 5 days. Should be clear on Tuesday and Wednesday. I will be out with my camera both days, but will be mowing all day at Lake DoLittle on Wednesday, so not much time for photography. I hope to get a decent photo of a silver V. Joe didn't much care for the ones people were creating at home with something shaped like the letter on a background of the color and he encouraged people to get out of their house/backyard and go find some of those letters. So, I didn't do the butter knife thing even though I think it sounds like a great idea. I did see a silvery tree trunk and photographed some of the Vs that were created by forked branches or branches coming off of the trunk. They looked pretty dull since it was cloudy and there was no directional light anywhere. I should be able to get something in the next day or so. I have to. Class is almost over. Will go revisit those trees on a day with some nice light.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2012 7:58 AM
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9293545

So much for the weather wizards. Another cloudy morning. So, I played with a hummer photo. I'm back in Asian Art mode.

Did this one by:
Duplicate layer on top. Find edges on dupe. Change blend mode to Hard Light and reduce layer to 75% opacity. Reveal eye with a mask.
Flatten
Did a little background cleanup to remove an OOF branch.
Added the kanji characters and my chop and the simple frame. The characters translate to Indomitable Spirit which I think is very fitting for these brave little hummers.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9293905

Sweet little Asian Art Hummer, Patti ... very nice ... quite a lot of layering and applications of various techniques! Impressive!

Re: that house shot at Crissy Field ... that was at the finish of the race, although one had to pass by earlier and then double back ... I took quite a few shots of it, trying to get a good one and keep in mind the 15 ppp and keeping things straight, etc. etc. When I finally noticed that shadow I did think of Joe ... the shot has its blemishes, but it's interesting enough. That was my little G10, and everything was hand held ...

As far as the Nature Park and Trails around the Baylands, unfortunately, except for public events such as this Moonlight race/walk, it's only open from sunrise to sunset, and the rangers do chase you out if you try to stay beyond their closing time. All of that series of shots was taken with my little G10, hand held (of course), with pretty long shutter speeds, and for some reason I did not think to crank up the old ISO ... duh! Here are a couple more from that evening, and one has the moon in it ... they're both VERY noisy ...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9293916

The Pardee Home was quite an interesting place ... it had been residence of the Pardee Family since it was built in 1868 until the deaths of the last two sisters in 1981. It was bequeathed to the City of Oakland as a historical museum. The mother, Helen (or Mrs. Helen, as she was called), was a collector of "stuff." The place is FULL of "stuff." It's very dark, and none of the many curio cabinets or shelves or built in cases are illuminated. There isn't even decent lighting in most of the house, except for the dining room, where the teas are served. They hope some day to improve that situation. I had the presence of mind to crank my "big" camera up to ISO 400 for the inside shots. They were super noisy.

Here's another one of that red lamp, which I was drawn to immediately. I have "fixed" this shot with the early version of Topaz DeNoise.

Also, another shot of the "home" outside ... which is built of redwood that has been milled and treated and painted to resemble cement! (That was the style of the day!)

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9293930

A word or two about my dinner at One Market. The little collage is probably self-explanatory. Yes, I had the wine pairing too. I know it probably seems a bit pricey, but since I seldom go out for dinner or lunch (maybe 8 times a year, max), I figure I'm allowed to be self-indulgent occasionally. I've only pictured two of the courses (those were the only ones I had the presence of mind to try to photograph ... the rest were devoured tout-de-suite). The tempura duck livers were outstanding, by the way ... those little sprouts on the duck leg tamale are cilantro, and they were SHARP ... the peanut crackle and concord grape accompaniment to the duck breast was just a tad too sweet for my taste ... the "Baked" Alaska was beyond words. ... The wine pairing was excellent! Again, it was dark ... but I did crank up my ISO, my little G10 hard at work ...

Later the next day ... near the Ferry Building:

What is San Francisco without a pigeon?

One of my favorite works of statuary: Yin and Yang, by Robert Arneson.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9294526

Jubilada,

Oh, that's too bad on the times for the Baylands Nature Park and Trail. So many places are not photographer friendly. There are so many photographers that go out to Brazos Bend State Park (about a 30 minute drive for me - a blink of an eye in Texas travel time) that the rangers have agreed to give out the combination to the gate to photographers that want to get in before sunrise and stay well after sunset for some night photography/star trails. We agreed to give them a few of our photos for their brochures, website and park promotion and they keep a list of "Photographers". All we have to do is call the day before and they'll look up our name on the list and give us the combination. Pretty cool. It's worth a chat with the rangers to see if they can do something similar. But, normally it only works when the park has camping facilities since they always have someone there.

Love the composition on that shot with the stream leading the eye back through the image. Very interesting about the redwood to cement transformation. Mmmmmmm. Dinner! What a beautiful presentation on the "Baked" AK. What? Near the Ferry Bldg and no Cupid's Arrow?

Cool to see something new for a change, though. While I love the expressions and the medium and I'm sure I would spend time admiring the work from every angle, I keep struggling with the whole Yin and Yang thing. To my art illiterate eyes, ... it's ? two heads in the dirt? Sorry, that's what you get from a chemist nerd that doesn't know art from heads in the dirt. :-) And, yes, I'm going for the chuckle here, and mean no disrespect for the artist - only true confessions of someone that lives in the left side of her brain and is severely art challenged. But, making every attempt to learn!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 3, 2012
11:07 PM

Post #9295373

Oh, Jubilada -- that orange sunset is so pretty! Bet that was a sight to behold. The SF Bridge is a great shot. I love all that foamy water and am particularly fond of the old chains in the lower left. I think things like that are so cool! Boy, what a nice collage. It has so many items and yet it's not crowded or awkward-looking. I really like that red lamp, too! The house is such a beautiful thing. Redwood to faux cement, huh?

Patti, your little Hummer art turned out really good! You know, I wouldn't have thought to blend back that eye. That was just the right thing!

Well, until now, I never had a camera good enough to do this kind of thing, so I've been amusing myself the last couple of days with some pure silliness. At least it's pure, huh? I've had fun...

Water drops on a CD...they were all cropped and I removed a few flecks of dust, etc. now and then. Otherwise, no editing.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9295423

Miss Mary,

What fun - a blast of rainbows and wonderful lines and patterns. The first image appears to have a reflection of windows or a filmstrip inside the drop and then a larger version across the whole image. How did that happen? This is so cool - something to try on a rainy day!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9295593

Here's a crop of a photo and the full frame version that I took from the driver's seat of my truck while driving down the entrance road to a wildlife refuge. I thought maybe the scene had some Vanishing Point potential, so I stopped the truck and clicked off three handheld shots through the windshield - one under-exposed, one over-exposed and one at zero meter.

When I looked at the images on the back of the camera with the picture style set for PPSOP - no added sharpening, saturation, contrast and no tone preferences, I thought it was so blah that I decided not to get out of the truck and work the scene. Rats. Now I think the view had some potential with the stormy clouds, the VP road and power lines and the VP fence on the other side of the road.

After I got home, I merged the three using Photomatix and chose a painterly preset. I toned down the contrast and the saturation/vibrance to try to make it a little more realistic, but it is still wild and crazy. Two things - I should have pulled over, parked that truck, got out and looked for a good composition - How about that clean windshield! :-)

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 4, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9295608

Patti, that's a great "sittin'-in-the-driver's-seat" one. I think I like the original better. There's just so much drama going on! It is a good VP shot indeed. I am (slowly but surely) beginning to learn that the back of the camera can't be entirely trusted. Sometimes, I get what appears to be a fabulous shot, only to see it on my monitor and realize otherwise.

The water drop fun - I took some of the photos with the CD lying on the edge of the sink, with direct sunlight coming in from the kitchen window. That's where the reflection came from. What's amazing is that, with the smallest change in camera placement, the outcome can be vastly different. Here's one taken in the same spot. My kitchen and curtains are neither blue nor pink. Also, I was using a "used" CD the first time (this shot included) and found out it was better to use a brand new one. You don't get the lint or scratches that way. The hardest thing for me was doing this without a tripod and keeping that bright light shining on the drop with my camera lens right down on top of it. It sure was fun, though!

This message was edited Oct 4, 2012 9:18 AM

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9295768

Miss Mary,

Thanks for explaining how you did that! This last image is fascinating - so much to look at and study. Each drop has its own characteristics. I have to try this! Now. Chores can wait.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9295771

Miss Mary, those water drop CD shots are fantastical and soooo creative! Love the colors. That last one is really fun! Love it!

Patti, that windshield shot is great! I agree with Miss Mary about the original, it just tells a more complete story ... and yep, you've got it all there: VP, converging lines, continuance, fabulous clouds, the great almost chartreuse color of the fields ... plenty of gestalt goin' on there! And you're right ... you SHOULD have gotten out of the truck and composed a killer shot ... Joe would have died for it! And, how can you drive with such a clean windshield ... I know my DH couldn't! LOL!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9295887

Oh, my! Miss Mary, you have made my day! I have played enough for one day, but I want more. There are so many possibilities with those CD drops. I tried glycerine, water, veggie oil and then water on the veggie oil coated CD. I liked the last drops the best, but they all behaved a bit differently. For lighting, I tried the light through the window, I tried the overhead kitchen light, I tried flashlights. I looked at all different angles. Way cool stuff. I used my 100 mm macro lens, but even it wouldn't focus close enough to get anything like you did, Miss Mary. So, I put an extension tube on and could get closer. I should have put all three tubes on and I could have gotten some like you did of only one drop up close. Oh well, now I can do it again! :-)

Some results - this out of 112 shots -

1 Glycerine with flashlights
2 Glycerine with kitchen overhead light
3 Veggie Oil with kitchen overhead light
4 Water drops on oily CD
5 Water drops on oily CD with extension tube on lens

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9295925

Wow, Patti ... number one is very cool, but number five is definitely IT!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 4, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9296206

Oh, yeah...it's #5 for sure! They're all such fun! I really like #2 as well. When I read the last sentence of your post above ("Chores can wait."), I knew they'd be waiting for quite a while. I was like a kid in a candy store myself.

I was wondering what veggie oil would do. Never thought of coating the CD with it and would never have thought of glycerin! These are great. I had to crop mine down a good bit, even though they are macros. My camera lens was almost touching the drops and still it took in way too much. I'm sure the tubes are the absolute best way to go!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9296497

Processed a few more of the CD drop shots. I was experimenting with flashlights and what kind of reflections of light they would give. I was not too encouraged because they only produce a very narrow, focused band of light - see first image. Different types of flashlights produce different bands.

But, if you combine macro with a flashlight, it can be cool. Actually, the second image (veggie oil drop and flashlight) is not as "macro" as it looks. I did shoot it with one tube, but I still had to crop it quite a bit to get the one drop and light "beam." Whenever I get motivated to do this again, I will use all three tubes to get in really close.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9296651

Gavin Hoey has another Freebie Friday template
http://www.gavtrain.com/?p=1710

I gave it a try. Only thing I added was a gradient to the background. Otherwise I just followed the directions.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9296776

Patti, thanks for the link to the Gavin freebie ... I tried it out on one photo, which sort of works ok ... your example is excellent ... needs the right photo to be effective, I think ... but it sure is easy enough!

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9296778

In the meantime, I have resisted the water drops on the CD (after all, I did spend most of a day a while back doing drops of oil in water) ... but I'm back with flowers ...

• zinnia with cosmos background (little volunteers!)
• my Charles Grimaldi Brug Blooms!

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9296815

Jubilada, I think your example is fantastic - you have positioned your image just right to get the definitive features in the "Polaroid frames." You got the bridge, the building and that wonderful chain. Yes, I tried 4 or 5 images before I got one that I liked. I was passing up the portrait images because the template was landscape oriented. Duh! I didn't think to turn it around. Sometimes I don't know if I have a brain.

So glad you are back with flowers. I love both of these images. When I looked at the first one, the colors popped out at me and I thought about how good you are at creating a 3D effect with your frames and OOBs. Then I opened the brug image. OMG! I wanted to reach out and touch that one to make sure it really wasn't sticking out of my monitor. Amazing effect!

One more GH Polaroid ... and then I'm off to the game where I hope there will be some decent light for a little while at least. I have to get my silver V. If I don't get it, I'll go to a shopping center and find a Mazda tomorrow morning. Class ends on Sunday.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9296820

Well, I guess I could have included the image ... Is there any way to put an image in a post after you submit it? When I click "edit", I don't see any way to upload an image. Thought maybe I was missing something.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 5, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9297179

Patti, you've got an eye for the light effect. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you get the chance and desire to play more. I'm also looking forward to seeing your silver V.

Jubilada, you and Patti both came up with interesting results on the Gavin freebie. I like those! I'll have to check out the link to see if I can do it with PSE.

Jubilada, I had the same reaction as Patti when I saw that Brug. Oh, my goodness, it looks like it could be coming out of my monitor! It is beautiful...and you did a fantastic job of framing, too.

Well, I played around with the CD some more today. Jubilada, I need some of your fritter resistance...I think I'm becoming addicted! ☺

In this set, I put a drop of olive oil on the CD and then drops of water on top of that. In the first one, I added a few grains of sugar.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9297422

Wheee. Great ideas Miss Mary! So cool to see one drop "riding" on top of another. Sugar crystals add some intrigue too! There are so many things to try. I did a search and there are some cool things other folks have done too. One is to do it in a dark room and totally control the light so that you can make all sorts of squiggles and patterns of light in the drops. So cool. I am totally addicted now. I need a bottle of those fritter resistance pills myself.

#2 reminds me of a Ladybug. Just need a little orange and black and a few spots and she will be ready to fly. #3 has lots of depth and lots of cool light patterns squiggling around - similar to the ones the guy does in a dark room.

Fun stuff!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9297864

I didn't get the Silver V that I previsualized. All that effort and it just didn't pan out. My idea was to grab one of the football players after the game Friday night. Some of the receivers wear gloves that help them hang on to the ball. Some of the gloves are silvery colored. My thought was to get one of the players to stand under the score board with the final score, hold a football in one hand with the arm cocked back as if he is going to pass it and with the other silver gloved hand, hold up two fingers in the V for Victory right up in front of the camera. Sound cool? I thought it did. Well, we won the game, so the scoreboard was all good. The players have to do their little meet and greet stuff and then they have to listen to the coaches inspiring words in a huddle and then I figured I would grab one. When they were almost done with their little huddle thing, the powers that be turned the scoreboard off and dimmed the lights on the field. They never do this! Arrrrrghhhh.

So, DH drove me around the Sam's Club parking lot today where I photographed anything that looked like a silver V. Lame compared to the image I wanted. I ended up using the one in the lower left - actually a Lexus L, but on its side, it looks like a V to me.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2012 8:41 PM

This message was edited Oct 6, 2012 10:28 PM

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9298390

Procrastination just bit me. Today was the last day to submit our final assignment on PPSOP. I dawdled and waited until the last minute thinking I would just go out this morning and get some nice, sunrise images. Oh, no. The sun decided it would just hide behind clouds all morning. It was dark, dull, dismal and cold. I did my best under the circumstances. The image are not all that bad after some ACR tweaks and some clean up, but none of that is allowed. I had to shoot them dark so that I wouldn't blow out that white sky or the white water. That just doesn't work unless you can tweak.

Oh well... Here are a couple of the shots - the PPSOP version and my ACR adjusted and cleaned up versions. I took out some power lines and towers, a trash can and a sign in the first one and I cleaned up the water a bit. Not as much cleanup on the second, but some.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9298451

One more ...

I experimented with different shutter speeds on the water to see which I preferred. I ended up liking the really smooth, long shutter speed on the surface of the water, but I liked a somewhat faster shutter speed on the fountain. So, I combined two images.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 7, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9298487

Well, the best-laid plans...ain't it the truth? You've had a run of it, haven't you, Patti? And still, you managed to get some good results. I like those silver Vs and am not sure I'd have had a keen enough eye to have seen the "V" in all of those. Good pick, in my opinion. Hope I'm not the only one who thinks that!

Oh, that washed-out, overcast lighting! I've had that here quite a bit over the last week. I love your tweaked pics. You really did a good clean-up on that first one. The fountain in the last one is really nice and full-looking and the water surface looks almost like it's frozen. I keep trying to get some water shots like that but haven't been able to make it happen. I'm not really focused on that just yet, so it's not a big deal. First things first -- so much other stuff to learn.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9298605

Nice "V"s Patti, and I think you picked the most V-like of the lot. That Mazda one is sure pretty, though, with those nice reflections. So is the Infinity ...

I also think that your "unadjusted" shots are really nice ... of course the tweaking enhances them, but they're very pretty as they are!

Nice job on the fountain merging ... lovely water!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9298937

I played some more with that 10 Polaroid Template. A couple with photos from the Glass Pumpkin Festival, and one of a neighbor's Halloween yard display. Yep, they're already decorating for Halloween. Safeway has had Halloween candy pile displays since early September! But, I digress ... the Halloween one I used one of the "Color Selection" adjustment layers in Photoshop (I think it was "moonlight night" or something like that). Patti, have you ever played with those?

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9298947

Continuing with results from using the "Color Selection" adjustment layers,

• Brugmansia (3 strip)
• Brugmansia (tension green)
• Pumpkin (moonlight and foggy night ... multiple layers and masks)

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9298974

Jubilada,

I have played with those "filters?" in the Color Lookup adjustment, but I never do think about them. I just took another look and found that there is one called "drop blue" that will get the blue color out of the water on the photos I took this morning. I think they must put some blue dye in the water and I really don't like it. Joe didn't either... another story. Anyway, that filter gets the blue out and makes the water look white as it should. Cool!

I like your Polaroid images. Those photos fit the technique well. The color adjustment on the last one makes for a very eerie looking image - perfect for the occasion. Those brugs always look good, but the adjustments really make them pop.

Ditto for here - The Halloween stuff has been out forever and I've seen some decorations around, but not in my bah humbug neighborhood. I was shocked this morning to see that Sam's Club had their Christmas stuff out - trees, decorations, wrapping paper, toys, rows and rows of this stuff.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 7, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9299118

Jubilada, those are really good...I especially like #2 in the first set. That really flows well. I don't think you could go wrong with those Brugs. #2 is my favorite in the second set as well. How many Brugs do you have? They really are show-stoppers!

I was a tree-hugger today. #1 is a huge knot on a huge Cedar tree. Little bit of Topaz Adjust on this one and #2, which, I believe is an old Pecan tree. The hollows aren't very deep and would be great with miniature gardens in them. The last one has been manipulated to death. Straightening, perspective adjustments, Topaz Adjust and blue/purple fringe removal. I thought it was a lovely old tree.

I don't know if I've ever said this here (I've sure thought it a lot!)...and please forgive my redundancy if I have...but one day, I would like to take a picture of a huge purple building in the bright sunshine just to see what color the fringe is!

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary      

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9299945

Miss Mary, I suspect that the fringe would be ... blue/purple!

Great tree shots. Love that big old gnarly knot! And number three is certainly a lovely old tree! Good job with all the retouching and fringe removal!

Well, Patti, perhaps they put dye in the water, but who knows ... anyhow, how can Joe fault the blue in your shots ... you certainly didn't manipulate them!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9299978

Miss Mary, I have 6 grown-up brugs (some 15 years old), and one baby. Three of them decided not to bloom at all this year, probably because they're unhappy about their situations (need bigger pots or to go in the ground) ... the Alba Peach Brugs start blooming in June and continue through to the first frost. They're blooming madly right now, but the plants are kind of gangly and have become decidedly un-bushy, so they're waiting for their annual severe pruning. The Charles Grimaldi really needs to go in the ground, but I have to decide where would be the best place ... it's done so well in its current pot for 15 years ...

Here's what I caught today ...

• Bee in a brug ... cropped and topazzed
• More Halloween decor ... adjustment layers and topaz
• Red branch and a gate ... just ACR
• Shadows and Reflection, B&W alaTopaz ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9299980

Miss Mary, Your trees are all so interesting! That is a wonderful knot. I love the knots and knees of Cedar trees - such character. I wonder if bromeliads would grow in those Pecan tree hollows. They would probably do the least damage to the tree. LOL about the fringe color of your purple building.

Jubilada, I'm pretty sure they do put blue dye in that water. It is very, very blue - not natural. He didn't fault the shots because of it, but he did comment that he wished they hadn't put the blue dye in the water. He liked the shot and had a lot of nice things to say about it, but he did point out that yucky looking spot in the lower left corner. I cleaned that up some in Photoshop and I saw it when I did the 15PPP, but I just couldn't avoid it. He discounted the second photo since it was just a closer up view of the same little waterfall. He did make some comments on another one I took out there of a bridge. He liked a lot of things about it, but also had some good suggestions for improvement. I'm sort of sad that the class is over, but I will still be practicing and will probably have some questions for Joe from time to time. Oh, he hasn't commented on the Silver V yet. I think he might have missed it. I don't know if he is still doing critiques or not.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9299985

Jubilada, We crossed in cyberspace. FANTASTIC bee in brug! Wow. That is an awesome composition and catch. Spooky skeleton looks entirely too real. LOL.

The shadow image is awesome. I love the funky angle and B&W treatment - very artsy!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9300701

One more polaroid from me. This time I tried to make it appear that they were scattered on a table and that the lower right hand ones were curled up. Well, it sort of looks like that, huh?

Also, if you guys get a chance, Halloween is a great time to set up your camera to make ghosts. I practiced when I was out on the dark, overcast morning with the shot below. I actually took three shots. This had the best timing of the three.

You have to do this when it is fairly dark out - at twilight time is best, so that you can get fairly long shutter speeds. If not when it's dark, then you need some seriously dark neutral density filters to block enough light to give you several seconds of shutter speed. Remember to set your ISO to the lowest number or it will work against you.

I put my camera on a tripod and put it in aperture priority. Then, I chose an aperture that gave me a few seconds to run in and out of the scene. It turned out to be 10 seconds at f/10. I also underexposed it a little (2/3 stop) for added drama. I wanted it to look dark. I could have used the timer on this, but I just wanted to grab a few test shots while I was waiting for some light to shoot my images for the PPSOP class. So, I just tripped the shutter and then ran in, stopped and stood still for about 5 or 6 seconds and ran back out again. So, I was there for about 1/2 of the exposure which made me "see-through." Fun stuff.

That's one way to do the ghost images. You can also do them using flash. You can also do a double exposure of sorts. Just set up the scene and take a photo. Then put the "ghost" in the scene (cat, pumpkin, friend, whatever) and take another shot just like the previous one. Stack the images and change the blend modes and opacity until the ghost appears ghostly.

Lots of ways to do this.

Hopefully I will find some nice Halloween decorations that I can play with one night. Nothing around me as of yet.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 9, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9300739

Patti, as Dennis Yost and the Classics IV used to say..."♫ Spooky...♪"

A little editing on the first one - detail and color on the leaf. The Gerbera Daisies are from my yard and the background, although nicely OOF, was quite weedy and ugly, so I just "picked" the flowers.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary         

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9300902

Patti, thanks for that mini-tutorial ... I've actually played around with that (couple of years ago), and it's fun. Good idea about the "double exposure" trick, I'm going to put that on my list of things to play around with!

Miss Mary, very nice job of "picking" flowers ... lovely!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9302169

Trying some ghosts ... I plan to try to find some good scenes for this (cemetary or Halloween decorated house, but for now I'm just playing with the techniques with images I already have.

I did two methods.

A. The one I described earlier of taking two photos, one with the ghost and one without, layering the two images with the ghost one on top and change blend mode (I used Screen) and lower opacity.

B. This one: http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/photo-effects/photoshop-video-tutorial-create-see-through-ghost-photos/ The top video steps through the whole procedure and the bottom one shows how to add color back.

1. This one was done with the first method. The background is critical in all of these.
2. Here I used the first method, but I did add a bit of a glow and blur to the people only on the top layer as shown in the second method.
3. I followed the second method for this one. First problem was that the content aware fill didn't have a clue of what the area behind the people should be, so it put some really strange chunks of the bridge railing back there. I just cloned over the trees which ended up making a nice evenly diffuse background. I also followed the lower video and added color back, but only a little color (lowered opacity). Other problems - The glow filter isn't accessed as in the video for CS6. It's in the Filter Gallery and it didn't work very well. Don't know if I did something wrong or if it is just different now. The other thing I couldn't get to work right was pulling the sliders in the Blend Options dialogue box. I just used opacity and could probably have reduced it even more.

I like the results best for the more complicated method B, but for a quick ghost image, method A works okay.The background has a lot more to do with how the final ghost will appear than the method does.

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens      

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 11, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9302230

Patti

Even though I know you were trying for a ghoulish effect, #3 has (for me) a sweet, remembering-the-good-old-days impression on me. I think this effect could be used to depict dreams or reminiscing, as well as the Halloween theme.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9302243

Miss Mary,

I agree! None of these really look scary, but I hadn't thought of the possibility of "remembering the old times" as a possible interpretation. That is an interesting thought I might pursue. I think if I can get the right setting, I can make some images that are truly scary and maybe some more like a cute Casper the ghost mood.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9302477

Well, Patti, now you've got me going ... I haven't watched either of those videos yet, but I just had to try a couple of "ghost" shots this morning (not a good time of day for the best results, I guess) ... anyhow ...

1. First attempt today ... fairly subtle, but two shots combined and then some stuff done with layers and masks ... a beginning
2. A straight shot ... f22 at 10 seconds, with a walk on and pose
3. Two shots, first the fence, then the ghostly walk on at f22 for 10 seconds ... and THEN all kinds of fiddling around ... interesting to note that that white sheet really shows up in the walk on ... need to work on that a bit

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9302495

Cool stuff!! The sheet is a great idea. Ok that it shows on the walk in. Tree shot is spooky! I need to find a nice spooky cemetery and try again.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9302559

The Palo Alto Art Center put my Glass Pumpkin Collage on their Facebook Page ...

[HYPERLINK@www.facebook.com]

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 11, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9302572

That is so nice, Jubilada! What a wonderful acknowledgement of your fabulous collage!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9302587

Congrats, Jubilada! Ditto what Miss Mary said! And, I'll bet they get a lot of advertising mileage out of that beautiful collage.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9302633

Thanks you guys, and Patti, thanks for your kind comment on their Face Book page!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9303415

Gavin Hoey has a Pumpking Carving Tut ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJiorOul6Rk&feature=player_embedded

Here are a couple I came up with using it, it's pretty easy ...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9303575

OK, let's just say this is a prototype ... first attempt at a work in progress ... the porcelain skull "candle holder" is something my father had ... it's very, very old ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 12, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9303657

Those are really something -- Jubilada, I laughed out loud at your spooked pumpkin! What a hoot!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 12, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9303677

Today, I went to an Arts and Crafts Fair and just milled around. It was muggy and still outside -- no sun or breeze. I think I got some fairly decent shots, considering that blah-looking white sky that seemed to hang low! While I was walking, I would encounter people who were smoking and couldn't seem to get away from the smoke since there was no breeze. I have a severe sensitivity to smoke (cigarette, fireplace, wood stove...you name it) and I was just sick most of the time I was there. It'll take a day or two to get completely over it.

Anyway...

1. A turkey who was as curious about me as I was about it.
2. A lady spinning wool
3. Some kids brushing and petting a Llama (?)
4. One of the sellers' Autumn wares
5. Duck on the lake, selective B & W

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9303755

Fun stuff!

Jubilada, Those are such cute pumpkins! The first one is not a bit scared of that ghost, but the second little guy got quite a scare from that spooky candle holder. I got a chuckle out of that one too. Thanks for the link. I'll have to give that pumpkin carving a try. I think I used a cactus for digital pumpkin carving last year since I don't have a photo of a pumpkin. I'll have to head to the grocery store and remedy that situation.

Miss Mary, I hope you are recovering from that smoke pollution. In spite of the weather and having to brave the smoke gauntlet, you got some cool images of the Fair activities. My favorite one is the lady spinning wool. That is an absolutely wonderful image! It is perfectly composed to tell the story. The bit of blur showing the motion of the spool is perfect! Great job on this shot. If they do this Fair every year, I will bet that they would like to have this image for their brochures or advertisements. Love the treatment on that duck! It surely does highlight that little Mallard domestic mutt and plays down the Canada Geese (I think) in the background.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 13, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #9304452

Thank you, Patti. I am doing better today -- at least it didn't send me into an asthma attack. That's a road I like to avoid if at all possible!

1. Wrought iron fence
2. Kaleido from a photo of Autumn leaves
3. Virginia Creeper growing out of a building
3. Audubon Park, heavily Topazzed

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9304534

Miss Mary, I just love the composition you shot on that fence - great example of perspective with lines and diagonals galore. Pretty kaleido! I hope there are still some autumn leaves by the time I get to Memphis. Looks like there are plenty still left to turn from the last image. That Virginia Creeper is beautiful. We have some of that growing in the trees on Lake DoLittle. I don't remember ever seeing it that colorful.But, color around here is really fast if happens at all, so I'm not too surprised.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9306307

Miss Mary, that mosaic pumpkin is really something! Great shot of that fence! Lovely autumn leaf kaleido, too!

Here's my contribution to the fall theme ... the rotten squirrels are running haywire these days (guess that means a rough winter!) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9306776

Awwwwe! What a cute little bushy tail, Jubilada.

I have a few shots from yesterday and day before - went to nephew's house to puppy sit. Roxie, their adorable little pup and I went on long walks all over their neighborhood and I managed to snap a few photos in spite of her impatience with the whole photography thing. Actually, for most of them, I went back without her.

I don't know if you guys have visited PicMonkey lately, but they have Halloween goodies and LOTS of them. I barely scratched the surface. You could spend hours playing around with just the new Halloween toys. And the premium ones are free for awhile.

1. Most houses just had simple decorations like this one.
2. Some were more elaborate. I added a spotlight to the zombies and the door and a vignette to this one.
3. Didn't do much to this one except fix some of the shrubs that were dead.
4. Added the words, spider, blood and pumpkin eyes using PicMonkey.
5. Nephew's house. HDR and added bats and words.

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 16, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9307539

Jubilada, that's a fitting frame for that furry fiend, indeed...seriously, what a cool idea of using tree bark for the inner circle!

Patti, I haven't looked at PicMonkey in a while. Looks like it's time to check it out. I particularly like the eyes on that pumpkin!

The first 3 below were taken at Shelby Farms and Topazzed (Adjust). The fourth is the same Virginia Creeper I photographed last week, now with even more color. The last one is a tree I happened upon when I made a wrong turn. The only thing I did was remove a big cable that crossed the shot in the corner. That tree really looked just like that!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 16, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9307624

Two more from me tonight. The first one is a kaleido made from Pecans and a Pecan leaf. The next one is my kitty, MoMo (with dander painstakingly removed). This one was shot in B & W.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary         

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9307803

Miss Mary,

Love your shots of the wonderful shadows of the railing. Glad you made that wrong turn! That tree is incredible! It looks like it is on fire. Wonderful patterns in the kaleido! That leaf looks like smiling lips. Awwwwwe. MoMo looks so sweet.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9308261

Patti, nice selection of Halloween shots ... I especially like those "walking Zombies," ... and the one at your nephew's house is really nice, too!

Miss Mary, nice geometry in those first two of five ... and the Virginia Creeper is just stunning! What a gorgeous tree! Patti's right about the smiling leaf lips! And what a fine shot of MoMo.

Here are a couple of my babes, first of Frankie yawning, and then Frankie looking superior while Lupita says silently "what a nit wit." Then some manipulated mums, and finally a topazzed group of gourds, real and not so ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9308295

Jubilada, Uh-oh. So, I'm thinking that Frankie is explaining to Lupita that the man of the house gets the remote control, even for kitty TV. And, like most women, Lupita is not listening to that MCF (male chauvinist feline) and just waiting for her chance to straighten him out. :-) Nah, Mr. F is too sweet to be an MCF... right? Cute kitties!!

Mums are so pretty. I like the light and the composition. That glass creation on the left of your gourd image is gorgeous! It is amazing to me what an artist can do with glass, some colors and some heat.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9308831

In the garden this morning ...

1. Plum tree is out of whack and has been for a couple of weeks.
2. Almost ...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9309145

Oh, Patti, what cute little radishes! And what's up with that plum tree??? Better call the arborist!

Here's that house across the street ... in Halloween mode ... several Topaz filters and my little pumpkin added ... then framed ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9310035

Took the train to San Carlos yesterday, to get senior citizen transit cards (saves half the cost for ALL Bay Area transit systems, including the ferries!) ... took my wide angle and got a couple of shots ...

First is a train interior shot. It was rather underexposed (f5.6 at 1/80 sec), so I really processed it in raw, and then whammied it in Topaz DeNoise 5. Obviously it LOOKS manipulated, but I still think it's kind of cool.

Second is at the train stop in San Carlos ... I just liked all the geometry in this shot. Nominally processed in Raw.

Third is just a pot of mums, with a couple of gourds ... this has been HIGHLY manipulated (things removed, things replaced, etc), and cropped, but not straightened, and whammied up in Topaz Adjust.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9310888

Jubilada,

That's my favorite house! Lovely composition and lighting. The only reason I know which pumpkin is yours is because you already posted it. It sure fits in nicely. You have really taken that PPSOP course and run with it. I see so many of the elements of design in those those photos (VP, perspective, tension, color, texture, ...), especially the train and train stop. But then you already did a lot of that before the class. Now I just know how to recognize it and what to call it. LOL.

I don't usually think about the class when I'm out photographing wildlife. I probably should, but I just can't have birdies flying out of frames and forget about trying to use the 15PPPs when the action is on. I did try some things at the football game last night that I wouldn't normally have done. We'll see if DH posts my "outside of the box" photos. He couldn't shoot the game last night, so I did it for him. That was a laugh. I've never really shot a game from the sidelines before. I really need to work on getting in better shape to be on the sidelines. It's scary when those 200 pound players come crashing across the sidelines in your direction. I don't run that fast.

Some shots from yesterday before the game ... I didn't do a whole lot to the Mottled Ducks. I just wanted to post them to show that beautiful color on the speculum. It was glowing.I didn't do that.

1 Bee on what I think is goldenrod.
2 Mottled Duck Drake
3 Mottled Duck Drake
4 Roseate Spoonbills - Removed a stump from the water and also a jillion little pieces of something that was floating in the water and glaring in the light.
5 Collage of some birdies caught with their catches.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9310899

Patti, I usually remember the 15PPP when I get home and look (sadly) at the photos on my computer screen! I try to be more "aware" but, it's hard ...

That's a wonderful bee shot ... and you certainly DO capture birds marvelously ... That Roseate Spoonbill shot is absolutely precious, wonderful! ... and, the Lunch Trilogy is pretty darned cute, too! Great work!

I wouldn't be a sports photographer for anything ... hope you got some of the "outside the box" photos posted!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 20, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9310914

Patti, you really nailed those ducks! Aren't they beautiful! Nice sky for highlighting those colors, too! What a good bee shot and you caught it on such a full head of Goldenrod!

Here are a couple of horse shots from Shelby Farms and a shot of the pier over one of the lakes, variously manipulated. The kaleido is made from a photo of a fallen Sassafras leaf with a little Elm leaf lying on it.

This message was edited Oct 20, 2012 8:25 PM

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9311108

Miss Mary,

Those leaves really make beautiful kaleidos - filled with color and texture and interesting lines and shapes! I love the way the little leaves are curved in the opposite direction of the larger ones. Very cool how you shot that last horse photo. My neighbor at Lake DoLittle has horses and I hate it when they always have their faces down scarfing up grass. I should get down at face level and start shooting. That's a cool perspective of horses doing what horses do! But, I have to say, that first horse photo is awesome! Beautiful sky and perfectly composed with Mr. Ed's face right up toward the camera and even close to the edge of the frame facing the viewer. Wonderful shadows of the horse and on the horse! Joe, the PPSOP instructor, would absolutely love that shot!

I love that shot of the pier. That has become a favorite composition of mine. I have to try to get it whenever I see a pier. You nailed the composition perfectly - all completely balanced and symmetrical. You would get kudos from Joe on this one too for following his 15 Point Protection Plan and getting everything all straight. But, after he gave out those kudos, he'd give you an idea for next time (my favorite part of his critiques). When I shot a similar photo, he complimented the composition and then he said, "Imagine how it would look if you had a bright red bicycle part way down the pier leaning against the rail. Or a fisherman with his pole angled out." Well, I don't have a bright red bike, but I conned DH into wearing a bright red shirt and dragged him and my bright yellow fishing pole out there with me the next time. LOL. Now I carry props (red beach towel, for one) around in my car and on my trike for those moments when I need a splash of color.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9311334

A few shots from the football game ...

1. The first is one I was happy about even though I had to crop it quite a bit. One thing football photographers like to do is get the kicker (and/or the passer or punter) and the ball in the same shot. You have to be fast. Or, you need a camera like mine that will take a very high speed burst of photos. I held that button down before his foot ever got near the ball. LOL. Serious noise reduction and huge crop.

2. This youngster is going to play for the NFL one day. He is only a freshman and is already playing on the varsity team. The freshman team coaches were raving about him, so Coach (my nephew, the Varsity head coach) moved him up to Varsity just to see what he could do. When we had a comfortable lead in our first couple of non-district games, Coach let Brett play in the fourth quarter for a few plays. We were all impressed. The kid is good. He is now a regular on the Varsity team.

3. Oh, those darn refs. We call 'em zebras, but they really don't like that. I made the mistake of saying, "Darn, I got a zebra!" to another photographer when I was chimping my photos on the sidelines. Two of them gave me a look that could kill. I was afraid for a second that they were going to throw me out of the stadium. Eeeeek.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9311391

Wow! Patti the Sports Photographer! Nice work!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9311483

Haha. Thanks Jubilada, but, no, not the Sports Photographer - "The big sissy that is scared of the sidelines and only did it once and hopes to never have to do it again" Photographer. Have you seen those football photographers on TV sports programs get trampled over by players? Not me. Nope. But, I must admit, it was fun in those moments when I forgot to be scared.

1 - 3. A few more Football photos. Did I mention that we won 33 to 7? But, I think the other team's uniforms were a lot cuter if that's any consolation for them. :-)

4. And a "Can you find and name the two birds in image number 4? Answer in next image...

5. The "Here's Waldo" answer.

I walked at least a mile trying to catch up to that bird on the right. It's one of my nemesis birds. I didn't have any really good shots of one, so when I heard it, I tracked it down and then followed it from perch to perch, but it just kept getting farther and farther away. So, I still don't have a very good shot of one. The inset on the bottom right is the best I did with that one.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9311515

Well, Patti, I found the two birds, but I sure as heck couldn't have named them!

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9311666

LOL. Well, at least you found them. Yes, it was a hard one for naming. I could name them because I saw them out there. Photo was really far away and the crops were not very clear.

I have been to Baytown Nature Center many times, but never visited the Children's area until last Friday. It is really very nice. I was impressed with the attempts to make it into a fun way to learn.

1. Entrance. It is fashioned after the Fred Hartmann Bridge, a cable-stayed bridge and well known landmark in Baytown.
2. The Spider exhibit. I kept wondering how to shoot those wonderful shadows under the web. There must be a creative way to do it...
3. The Butterfly exhibit. A work in progress.
4. My favorite. This area has several strange looking contraptions that all make beautiful sounds when tapped with a stick or when they blow in the breeze.

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9313275

Patti, that Baytown Nature Center looks like a very cool place! I'm especially taken by the Bayer Music Garden!

Here are a couple from me today, getting into the spirit of fall and Halloween ...
First, a composition of leaves
And, Lupita in Scary Mode!

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9313531

Jubilada, That is a lovely composition of leaves - beautiful colors and wonderful framing. Lupita! I would not want to meet up with Lupita in a dark alley while she is in her Scary Mode! Eeeeeek. Good work on that one! Love the red glow in the eyes and on the spiders.

Baytown Nature Center has quite a history. Originally, it was the hunting grounds of the Arkokisa indian tribe. Then in the early 1900s, the land was purchased by Edwin Rice Brown, Sr., a cattle rancher. When he died, his widow started selling off the land in parcels for development. In the late 1930s Edwin Rice Brown, Jr. sold lots on the Bay to Humble Oil executives for their homes. By the early '70s, the subdivision on the bay had over 360 homes and was quite an exclusive area to live.

But it was flooded several times and in August of 1983, Hurricane Alicia devastated most of the homes. It was declared a disaster area. Eventually, the city bought out the homeowners and some of them just abandoned their property. The area became overgrown with native grasses and plants and eventually, the city demolished and removed what was left of the homes and turned the area into the Nature Center. They turned some of the streets into trails and put in a few fishing piers and have gradually added more and more to it. In 2008, it was hit hard by Hurricane Ike. They started repairing or rebuilding the damaged structures and designed and started building the new children's play area.

It is strange to walk around out there and imagine that there were beautiful homes sitting all along the "trail". You can see parts of driveways and some of the old boathouses still have a bit of structure remaining.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9314317

New Fotosketcher is out.

A couple of FS images

1. Top of hotel tower in Florence - New pencil sketch mixed with oil painting and framed in Photoshop
2. Laughing Gull - New pencil sketch mixed with oil painting and framed in FS

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9314476

Patti, thanks for the tip about Fotosketcher ... I've had the beta version, and have now downloaded the new version ...

Those are both very fine images ... the Top of the Hotel Tower in Florence is especially attractive! Wow, such nice lines! Lovely! The Laughing Gull is equally fetching!

Here are a few things I did with photos taken on my walk today ...

Squirrel and Leaves Collage
And a Fotosketched "Benches at the Community Center."

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9314563

Wow! An image of the tree alone would be awesome from that angle, but the squirrel puts it over the top. It gives an incredible sense of scale. Nice, subtle work with Fotosketcher. That is a really well composed image.

And on another note, how 'bout them Giants! It's six zip right now. Go SF!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9314582

How about those Giants indeed! I'm not normally a sports fan, but when it's the home team I get a little rabid! They've GOT to win these two at home before they travel to that horrible weather in Detroit! I'm positively in awe of the Giants this season ... who'd have thought it!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9314587

Just for fun, here's another one of that squirrel and tree ... only processed in RAW nominally.

And, what have your heard or what do you think about the Lumix LX7 camera ...? I'm sorely tempted ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9314614

That tree is massive! Very cool photos. I've only read one review so far and it did keep me from getting the Canon S-100 which is what I was tempted to get. The review I read said the LX7 has a lot better image quality than the S-100. The Leica lenses they are putting in the P&S cams are really getting great reviews. I just wish they had put a larger sensor in that cam. It's certainly big enough to hold a larger sensor - It's a lot bigger than the S-100 which I don't like, so ??? I don't know.

But, in any case, I won't be getting a P&S any time soon. I just had to break with some bucks and get a new dSLR since my 50D which is my backup decided to start eating batteries. I took it to a Camera repair shop this morning and the guy there told me, "Good luck." When I described what it was doing, he told me that his 50D was doing the exact same thing a few months ago. He did all sorts of electrical tests on his camera, but couldn't find the problem, so he sent it to Canon. They charged him $250 to replace some power board and it didn't fix the problem.

He suggested that I call Canon and tell them I want to participate in their Loyalty Program and get an upgrade for the faulty camera instead of fixing it. I called and they are sending me a refurbed Canon 7D. It is supposed to ship tomorrow and I paid for the next day delivery, so cutting it close. I just hope really gets here before I leave on my Night Photography trip. It would not be a good idea to show up with one camera. If anything happens to it, I will be watching other people take photos for three days. That would not be fun.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9314637

Sigh, it's called planned obsolescence ... a camera gets a few years old, and ... you send it back to the factory ... and ... it's hopeless ... sorry to hear that about your 50D ... hope all gets resolved before your class in Night Photography ...

The teacher of this class I'm taking has multiple Leica/Panasonic/Lumix cameras ... he has been RAVING about the LX7, and I'm afraid I'm going to take the plunge ... I've read a bunch of reviews online, and, yes, one of them complained marginally about the small sensor, however ... I don't think that's particularly an issue in this case ... I'm going to sleep on it!

I love my little Canon G10, but it has limitations ... and of course, my Rebel can be onerous to lug about on some days ... and I've never been completely happy with the 18-270 Tamron lens ...
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9314653

Have you played around with one? I just wondered how big they really are compared to your G10 for example. The fact that it only has 10MP doesn't bother me. I've seen people complain about that, but if you cram more MP on that small sensor, you'll just have noise problems, so that's really a good thing. Thankfully they moved from that CCD sensor in the LX5 to the CMOS in the LX7. I think that is a huge improvement. The combination of Leica lens and a CMOS sensor with all of the easy access buttons and whistles is really tempting.

I was tempted by the bridge Lumix. It has a huge zoom and Leica glass. But it still isn't as good as the Nikon bridge cam in my opinion. And it is really big compared to most P&S cams.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 25, 2012
12:56 AM

Post #9314726

Patti, I'm sorry to hear about your camera! Ooooh, that's bad at any time but this is really cutting it close. I do hope it arrives in good shape and in good time.

Thanks for the Fotosketcher news. I'll have to check it out. I like the one of the Hotel Tower. Nice effect! Your Laughing Gull looks pretty serious to me ☺.

Jubilada, heights give me the willies and that full tree shot with the squirrel has a realistic enough feel to it that I felt a bit phobic looking at it. Wonderful angle on that, too!
I like your squirrel / tree collage. Very uniquely done. Your "Benches at the Community Center" is so well composed and balanced. Lovely shot.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2012 1:27 PM
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9315178

After a trip to my local photo store today and a little chat with my favorite salesperson (he gives good advice and doesn't talk down to me), I have decided to stick with the G10 and forgo the LX7. I'll save my money for a new lens for the Rebel. My G10 was the camera I took shots with yesterday, and it really is such a good little camera!

That being said, here are a couple of shots in the mood of the season ...

first, a before and after,
and then one with various color manipulations ...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 25, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9315197

I'd like to ask how you all back up your photo files...an online service or a hardware device. I have a device but I'm not confident that it is reliable anymore and was wondering about online storage sites. Appreciate your opinions!

I went out Tuesday to pick up some Fall color. I ended up "picking up" so much of it, it took me two days to process all of the photos!

All of these were enhanced with PSE9 or Topaz Adjust. #1 and #3 were taken around town. The others were at Lichterman Nature Center.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9315236

You picked up some lovely fall color there, Miss Mary ... I especially like that first bridge shot! Great!

I have several external hard drives that I use to back up my stuff. Have not considered any on-line storage sites, and don't know anything about them.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9315293

I ditto everything that Jubilada said including the storage.

That blur shot is awesome! Was that done in camera or in post processing? The center leaf is so sharp, I would guess post, but I had to ask. I love the way the red color of the leaves echoes the red bridge rails. That last shot is such a nice, tranquil scene - wonderful colors and reflections! I'd like to be sitting on that shore with a nice book.

As far as storage goes, I've never used on-line sites except for the Cloud with my iPhone. But, I don't even use it anymore. I just don't trust those clouds yet. DH and I have our computers networked together so we share four of our six external hard drives. Three are plugged into slots on my computer and he has three on his. Two of the drives are the photo storage drives and two are backups of those two. The fifth and sixth ones are the storage for DH's football photos and the backup. We also backup just the raw files to another hard drive that gets stored in our safe. I really think we should store the backups in a safety deposit box at the bank, but we haven't done that yet. It is so nice to be able to access all of our photos and anytime we make changes to anything on an original drive, we can copy the changes to the backup immediately. The reason we have so much redundancy is because early on, we kept having hard drives fail. DH was able to recover everything, but it was scary. Now we know what was causing the problem and have fixed it. We haven't had a failure in over a year. We bought a little Zippi fan that sits on our desks and runs all the time, keeping the drives nice and cool. They were getting so hot, they were frying.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 26, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9316170

Thanks for the information. I know I need to do something -- and fast!

I went out leaf-peeping again yesterday in the late afternoon. Here's a decorated house and a beautiful backlit tree I saw. There was an SUV in that last picture that I had to remove. I used a patch from another shot of the same scene and did some blending. Lastly, a collage from some of this week's gleanings.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9316394

Miss Mary, your collage of leaves and fall colors in Memphis is absolutely enchanting!

From my walk today, the original images 1,2,3 and then number 4, how I combined them ... to make a ghostly scene ...

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012

Post #9318077

Miss Mary,

Spooky decorations! I'm guessing they don't use that door much. LOL. I don't think they can get in or out of it.
I once said you were the queen of shadows. Now I'm adding backlit leaves to your kingdom. They are all so beautiful and the collage is a wall hanger for sure!

Jubilada,

All of the photos are good and cool to see, but your masterpiece is so clever and so well executed! Just the right opacity and the alignment of the hands and arm angle of the ghost on the right are in line with the banister. Awesome.

I think the Giants heard your request that they sweep the home games. Three ... Zip. I hope I have time to tune in this afternoon and see how they do in Game 4.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9318383

That's right Patti, GO Giants! Although, I'd be willing to let Detroit win ONE game. But, just one!

In honor of the Giants, Coit tower is bathed in orange ... one of the photos I took during my San Francisco Postcards workshop yesterday afternoon and evening. I took a LOT of photos, and have to slog through them all ... and take care of a few other things as well ... so it will be a while before I post any more.

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 28, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9318389

That is gorgeous, gorgeous! I love the way you captured the tower and its reflection -- with so much in between!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9318461

That is an awesome capture! The reflection is icing on the cake. I am so happy that you got some night shots and what a memorable one this one will be. Wow.

Wheeeee. Giants just went back in the lead. Fingers crossed.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9318580

OK, one more, in honor of the Giants ... wow, they swept it! ... Here's a view of our beautiful Golden Gate!

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 28, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9318596

Oh, my gosh -- that's stunning, Jubilada! Such good work!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
2:35 AM

Post #9318649

Yes, what Miss Mary said - Stunning! You can certainly see in that beautiful light, why it is called the "Golden" Gate. I look forward to seeing more of your work when you have time to process it. I'd also love to hear about your class. The name of the class is intriguing and so far, you have two excellent SF postcards.

Big congrats on your Giants. I didn't make it to the end of the game since I wanted to get an early start this morning, but I saw the headlines this morning and WOW! So cool.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9320393

I have finally slogged through all of my "San Francisco Postcard" workshop photos ... and will herewith present a few (gasp) ...

Patti, in case you're interested, here are a couple of links to Eric C. Gould, who leads these "Postcard" workshops, as well as other classes ... it was a tremendous opportunity for me, because there's no way otherwise that I would ever get to the Marin Headlands at Sunset, and then wind up at the Ferry Building at 10 p.m., and get home by 11:30 ... public transportation simply wouldn't support that itinerary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU8LjJLyr4E

http://www.ericgould.com/#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=0&p=4&a=0&at=0

These workshops are quite affordable, transportation is provided, and they are limited to 12 people. There are two "instructors/guides," Eric and Doug. I'm sure I'll do another one, as they seem to be offered throughout the year. There was one this week at Alcatraz!

Unless otherwise specified, all these photos were processed nominally in Camera Raw, and most have been cropped to a 5x7 aspect ratio. Oh, and certainly not all of them could be considered "post cards."

We started out at the Palace of Fine Arts. As at all locations, we were given "suggestions" for aperture, shutter speed, and ISO setting.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9320398

Then on to the Marin Headlands for the sunset and a glimpse of the Golden Gate ... We walked up a path to a couple of tunnels, and then down some stairs ... I had to get shots of those despite their not being particularly postcard worthy ... the last sunset shot has been cropped to make a vertical ...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9320402

Views of the Golden Gate from the Marin Headlands ... shot at very high ISO (at this point we're still hand-holding, have not yet taken out the tripods) ... so these two views of the bridge have been "doctored" with Topaz DeNoise ...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9320410

Finally, we get down the hill a bit for some good close-up shots of the Golden Gate (among other things), and of course, out come the tripods!

1. I wanted to get a good shot of the moon on the water, but this is the best I could manage ... DeNoised.
2. Golden Gate, DeNoised
3. A 30 second exposure.
4. Bay Bridge, and there's Coit Tower ... DeNoised.
5. Presidio Yacht Club ... DeNoised.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9320411

Here's the Golden Gate Bridge again ... a 20 second exposure, f8, ISO 100 ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9320416

From the Golden Gate to Pier 7, where I shot

1. Coit Tower (DeNoise)
2. The Pier (Severe crop ... had to get rid of some ruffian type louts loitering on the right hand side)
3. Hornblower Yacht ... it started moving when I thought it was going to remain stationary (yep -- I almost "missed the boat"), so I cranked up the ISO something horrible (3200) and consequently had to DeNoise
4. Another view of/from Pier 7 (some unfortunate lens flares)
5. View from Pier 7 (straightened)

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9320420

1. Transamerica Pyramid (straightened)
2. Bay Bridge (straightened) -- 30 second exposure
3. Bay Bridge and Pilons
4. Ferry Building (straightened)
5. Bay Bridge Pilons (straightened)

As you can see from the time on the Ferry Building Clock, it's 10 to 10 ... WAAAAY past my bed time!

That's All Folks!

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9320487

I am in awe, amazed and soooo wishing I was there. I don't know where to start. They are all so wonderful. So, at the beginning ...

You know I love Mr. Mallard. What a gorgeous shot! On the Palace of Fine Arts, I love that you included the people for a sense of scale. That thing is huge! I also love all of the reflections in the water and the negative space around that vase (or whatever that vase-like thing is called. (Go, Joe!) So glad you included the tunnel and stair shots. They are so good. I especially like the exposure on the first tunnel. I would have been tempted to go HDR, but you got it! Beautiful colors in that sunset.

Love all the golden gate shots, but the ones from down lower are stunning! That moon on the water shot is marvelous. It is what Kevin Adams calls a "Moonscape" where the moon lights up the scene. Beautiful! Those colored lights from the Yacht Club - Wow!

The whole last series are breathtaking. I just love lights on water at night. So incredibly beautiful and such wonderful exposures. You nailed every one of them. You should be very proud of this incredible gallery of "better than postcard" images!

I'm at my hotel in Memphis and processing a few of the shots I took at Caddo Lake State Park. I should have some to post later... Dang. I'm gonna bring that bar down a notch or two.LOL
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9320503

Patti, your shots of Caddo Lake State Park will be wonderful, as they usually are. And I'm really looking forward to your night shots from the Kevin Adams class ... I know those will be stupendous and spectacular.

And thanks so much for all your kind words on my nighttime photo attempts! Means a lot to me!

I forgot to include one photo ... this is a swan at the lagoon at the Palace of Fine Arts ... I was taken by the colors on the water ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9320526

Lovely swan image! Again, you nailed the exposure - not an easy one with all of the dark water and the white swan. Most would let the camera overexpose and have no detail in the feathers. The colors and shapes of the light reflections on the water do stand out as unusual and quite captivating.

A few Caddo shots - I will likely reprocess everything when I get home since this laptop is questionable and has an older version of Photoshop. I can't tell what I'm doing. I did run a few sequences through Photomatix, so a few HDRs. I saw my nemesis bird again. That little devil is following me around. I got better shots this time, but still no winners. Will process them later.

1. Fishy Trees
2. Miss Mary Leaves
3. One of the HDRs processed for "otherworldly"
4. The Moonset with lots of fog. It was in the low 40's. I was freezing and was only out there for an hour. It will be closer to 30 degrees in the Smoky Mountains and we'll be out in it for several hours. Oh, dear.
5. I thought it was so thoughtful of the fishermen to start decorating the trees - and it's not even Christmas yet. I got a lot of these. I think I'll put together a collage.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9320598

Very nice bunch of photos, Patti ... The Fishy Trees is a lot of fun, and the Miss Mary Leaves are lovely ... That HDR is not really too "otherworldly," but, Wow, how I love that Moonset! Dreamy! Beautiful! You nailed it! But, Brrrrrrr! 40s? and 30s in the Smoky Mountains? Double Brrrr! Wear your mittens!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9320824

Thanks, Jubilada. I almost missed the pink color. I thought the shoot was over when the sun had been up for at least a half hour. I couldn't see it because it hadn't risen above the trees yet, but in the opposite sky from the moonset, where the sun was rising, it was already very bright. No color. The color started forming in the sky opposite the sun where the moon was setting. Kathy Clark told me that would happen, but I don't remember ever seeing it. If you are out early getting sunrise shots, always look behind you and don't quit early. Same for sunset. Sometimes the most beautiful colors don't show up until well after sunset.

I got up at my usual 4 am (sigh) and started processing more photos. I processed that rascally female Kingfisher. These are better than the last shoot in Baytown, but still too far away. Also got a bunch of shots of a crow passing from right to left in front of me. I just held the button down and followed it. I stacked all the images and changed the blend mode so that the crows would show through and moved them around until I could see them all.

1. Mrs. Belted Kingfisher - deNoised big time
2. Ditto
3. A nice patch of colorful flowers - lots of work with the gradient filter in ACR to get the sky darker at the top and the flowers bright a the bottom.
4. The Old Crows
5. A fisheye fishing hole - I left the vignetting in since that's my view with that fisheye lens if I don't pop off the lens hood.No corrections for the distortion either.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9321216

Oh, Patti, you ARE the early bird ... guess you gotta be, to catch the "early birds" ... nice shots of Mrs. Kingfisher ... and is that a real shot of all those crows, or did you merge together a bunch of shots? Pretty clever! The fisheye fishing hole is really pretty.

Hope you have a great time taking pics out at the Dixon Gardens ... and the weather cooperates! Looking forward to seeing some of those shots!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 31, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9321622

Jubilada, I'm almost speechless. Seriously.

That is a fine set of photos, indeed, and I agree with Patti...they are "better than postcard"! My very favorite of the bunch is #3 in the last set. It is absolutely stunning. The surface of the water looks like burnished gold and that theme carries throughout the entire portrait. If I were looking at travel brochures and saw that on one, it would be booking a flight to SF. Wow! I just want to sit and gaze into it.

No. 3 in the first set is another extremely cool shot. The architecture is jaw-dropping and I love those urns. One thing that really stands out to me is that little peek at the city in the lower left. That is fantastic! I don't know if that was something you deliberately included but it really provides a nice setting.

These are such a treat -- I just love it when you and your camera go for a "stroll"!

I like the crow shot, Patti. That was a cool idea! You know I like those leaves, too. I can't wait to see what you get on the rest of your trip!

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9322000

The assignment this week in the class I'm taking ("Joy of Digital Photography") is two-fold. First, shoot only in Black and White for textures, patterns, shapes, etc. Second, pumpkins (in color). No restrictions this week on aperture, ISO, f-stop or focal length (as there have been in previous assignments). Yesterday I went out and here's some of what I came up with ...

First, the Black and White ...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9322003

Then the Pumpkins ...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 1, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9322110

Those are some very skillfully carved pumpkins, Jubilada! It really has become an art form, hasn't it? I really like the grass (?) on the black and white set. Looks like a Fescue variety maybe...? Wonderful variety of textures there...wood...soil...grass. That's great!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9322341

Well, Miss Mary, some of those pumpkins in photo 3 are fakes! And I don't know what that grass is, but it's very popular among local afficionados of water-wise, native plant landscaping!

Also, I'm dying to know if you and Patti had a chance to meet up at Dixon Gardens ... I'd sure love to have joined you! Airfare was prohibitive, however!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9322415

Jubilada, You did a great job with those B&W images. I love the first one with all the great contrast! Pumpkins are so colorful and cute! My favorite one is in the last image - the one with the Charlie Brown, wide open, "Oh, no!" mouth. Just what is a "box of rain?"

Oh, we met up all right and your ears should have been burning. LOL. Several times, we would look at something and say, "Okay, how would Jubi shoot this one?" We hit Shelby Farms early in the morning and then Dixon in the afternoon. We also drove up and down the streets of a wonderful neighborhood with beautiful landscaping. The colorful trees and shrubs were so amazing to me. We just don't get all that super saturated color in my neck of the woods.

We saw some beautiful scenery and a ton of birdies. I jotted down 18 species and I have probably forgotten a few.

I got to Gatlinburg fairly early this afternoon after a little over 8 hours of driving (left at 6am), so had some time to process some of the Memphis photos.

1. The early morning reflections at Shelby Farms were so pretty. Water was like glass.
2. The Big Reach -or- Get That Bug
3. Great Blue Heron with huge crop. It was way too far away for my lens. Curious to see what Miss Mary got on this one.
4. Patriotic
5. Whew. Glad I got to post mine first. Don't want to follow Miss Mary's capture of this bird. Wait for it ...

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9322422

Few more ...

1. Buckeye (I think) butterfly at Dixon Gardens. Yucky flower needs more cleanup when I have time.
2. Colorful Tree. Wacky Angle. In children's section of Shelby Farms.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9322425

This is a list of the birds I remember. I did think of a few more ...

Grackles, Red-winged Blackbird, Mallard, Great Blue Heron, Red-tailed Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Pilgrim Goose (domestic), Tufted Duck (domestic), Gadwall, Canada Goose, American Wigeon, Lesser Scaup, Northern Shoveler, Cooper's Hawk (maybe), Yellow-rumped Warbler, Bue Jay, Mockingbird, Turkey Vulture and a brief glimpse of what we think was a Hairy Woodpecker based on the vocalizations. Any more, Miss Mary?

Edited to add: Killdeer
Edited to correct: What I thought were Lesser Scaup are Ring-necked Duck. Not sure on the Pilgrim Goose or the Gadwall. They might be hybrids of something. Well, Pilgrim Geese are hybrids, but I'm just not sure what these geese are. I think the Canada Goose might be a Cackling Goose - not sure.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2012 7:27 AM

This message was edited Nov 2, 2012 9:16 AM
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9322686

Have a few more this morning. I'm not too wild about going out in that freezing weather, so I'll stay warm and process photos for a while ...

1. Sliding Silliness Optical Illusion
2. Shadows on the Umbrella
3. The birds I managed to capture - almost all at a great distance, severely cropped and doctored to attempt an ID

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9322707

Birds named. Fairly close to correct...

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9322745

Well, Patti, what a nice bunch of birdie pics! Sounds like you and Miss Mary had a great photo shoot! That bluejay with the red berries is really a visual delight! Am also quite taken with that "Sliding Silliness Optical Illusion"! I await Miss Mary's contributions ... Just wish I had been there too!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 2, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9322770

Patti, I love that glassy water and get-that-bug shots. I'm definitely going back to Shelby Farms in the a. m. next time! The clouds behind that "wacky tree" shot are great. Such a wonderful range of colors that day! That was, indeed, a cool shot under the umbrella on the playground! B. J. leaned forward for you and you got a good shot of his face. He was peeking out from behind berries for me! I love that Mockingbird picture...that's such a good catch!

Jubilada, it would have been such a treat to have met you and made a threesome out of the day! You were there with us in our thoughts and conversation for sure.

Here are some of my takes on the day, all fairly heavily Topazzed one way or another.

1. Red-Tailed Hawk (which I'd never have even spotted...thanks, Patti!)
2. Great Blue Heron
3. Pier on Patriot Lake in Shelby Farms
4 & 5. Patti on the playground

This message was edited Nov 2, 2012 10:23 AM

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 2, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9322778

More:

1. Silly goose
2. Beautiful day!
3. It was so nice to have someone else driving, so I could just hang out the window and grab shots.
4. Mockingbird
5. The only clear shot I got of BJ

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 2, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9322784

The Mockingbird spies the brunch cart and makes a "bee-line" for it...

edited...DG put these up in the wrong order. Drat!

This message was edited Nov 2, 2012 10:37 AM

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9322798

Miss Mary,

My favorite thing about shooting with others is seeing through their eyes and cameras. You got the money shot for sure. That mocker and bee series is priceless. If you have enough pixels, crop one of them more. That was so cool and I never saw it happen.

So cool to see your Heron shot too. I like that crop. Great job on that pier. I threw mine away they were so dull. You got a lot of pop and a great composition.

Jubilada,

I sure wish you had been there. Memphis would have never been the same after the DG Three Musketeers hit the town. And, it was Halloween. We could have worn our three musketeer outfits with out trusty swords, uh, cameras, at our sides. Maybe one of these days we will manage a GTG somewhere. SF would be awesome.

p

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 2, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9322861

I was amazed to look back at my pics and realize I'd caught the bee. I never had a clue until then.

Here are my bird pics, unless I overlooked one of the ducks. I don't know if we'll ever get a positive ID for the second one down on the right...☺.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9322919

OMG, Miss Mary, you got a shot of (gasp) RT, hiding behind a giant ... cucumber???? Great catch!

Seriously, that's a wonderful bird collage ... very nice collection of shots. And, you got some ducks in a row!

I have to echo Patti's comments on that Mocker series. Whew! Fabulous! (Aside: for some reason, when you select a series of pictures at one time, DG displays them with the last selected photo going first ... don't know why. But, if sequence is of importance, I always do them one at a time ... takes longer, but at least the sequence isn't messed up.)

Very nice Heron shot ... and I like those of Patti on the Playground!

Looks like you had "picture perfect" weather, too ... sigh!

SF would be a great location for a GTG ... you guys can take the train! Think about it!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9322925

By the way, did you guys go Trick or Treating???
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2012
3:01 AM

Post #9323371

I cross processed a picture of windformed snow patterns on a hilltop (theres been a heavy fall on the higher hilltops here), looks remarkably like the pictures sent back of the surface of Mars.

Thumbnail by DMersh

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9324173

Miss Mary,

Great job on that bird collage and all of the bird shooting. The zoom on your camera is awesome and you really get an amazing amount of detail with it. I think with all of your tricks - tripod, fast shutter speed and/or delay timer - you have really mastered getting those long telephoto shots. Kudos! The delay timer works great for camera motion, but you have to have the fast shutter speed to stop the critter's motion, so just a matter of knowing which to use when.

Jubilada,

I went trick or treating and got a big bag of wonderfully sweet pecans. LOL

DMersh,

Wow! That doesn't look anything like snow and you are right. It does look like something from Mars - or the red rock formations at some of our midwest national parks. Cool idea! Thanks for stopping by and contributing to the thread!

This message was edited Nov 4, 2012 7:06 PM
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9324179

A few from the Gatlinburg/Smoky Mountain trip ...
I will need to refine them once I get home on a "real" computer, but until then, this is what I have. On the shots I took while walking around in Gatlinburg, I kept trying to conjure up what Jubilada would see and shoot. I don't think the mental connection worked, but I did push my window and try to get some artsy type shots of stuff I would normally walk right past.

1. This is just a shot of a rock wall that I thought had some interesting texture. I will likely blur it and use it as "overlay" texture on some images. I also shot the circular part closer up and will try to use it as a frame.
2. A colorful door. Is this artsy or just a dumb old door? I dunno. LOL
3. Yellow flowers against the brown posts.
4. Our first Night Photography project. This is a combination of a shot exposed for the stars and a whole bunch of shots taken for the streaking car lights. I stacked all the images and changed to blend mode to let all of the streaks show through. Very cool place to do streaking car lights. Don't think I'll ever do this on a street corner in Houston again.
5. Next NP project - We were only able to do two or three of these projects a night since it takes a whole lot of photos to combine to get them done. Oops, not done with this one. Will post it up in a few minutes ...

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9324193

Here's that last one ... I have some photos of colored gel light painting on the waterfall that I will add to the mix later ...

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 4, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9324365

Patti, for my money...that door's artsy! I like the colors. I think it would look good Topazzed. Hey, what a NEAT wall! That is so cool. Those night shots are great, too. The first one has a "snow falling" look and you know I like that silky water on the last one. Maybe that first one would make an interesting faux snow globe! When are you headed home to your real computer?

Jubilada, my Halloween day was all treat and no tricks! It was a real treat to have someone get me out to Shelby Farms early in the morning and a treat to be able to catch those shots I usually miss because I'm driving. Now the trick is...how to get back out to Shelby Farms (even earlier?) by myself for some more shooting. Yep, that'll be a real trick...

DMersh, that's really an other-worldly-looking shot. Cool patterns and a good choice for processing them! Glad to see you here.
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9324374

Thanks for your comments on that, the actual area photographed was only about four or five feet across but it does give an impression of a vast landscape when processed heavily. This was original shot, also processed a bit to bring out the snow patterns.

The star pictures look great P Edens, must have been a stunning sight to the eye when you were there.

Thumbnail by DMersh

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9324496

DMersh, great job of "photo editing" you did with that snow shot! Very cool!

Patti, those are indeed arty shots! As you know, I'm a fan of doors, and that's a good one. Great color, and that little bit of bricks and cement at the bottom is a great touch! Love the rudbeckia against the post ... nice contrast. And that stars and car trails combo, wow!

Very interesting shot of the trees and waterfall ... lots of light manipulation there it looks like! Kind of eerie ...
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9325016

Last two projects ...

1. Log Cabin
2. Glaring White Cabin

I didn't like the second one at all. Kevin said we did it because it because he wanted us to see the potential difficulties when light painting a very bright object. It was difficult, so lesson learned, but ugly image.

I was surprised at how much work it takes to make one of these images. You have to shoot several images just to get your composition right because it is dark out there and you can't see the cabins hardly at all. Once you get the composition, you have to shoot an image that is correctly exposed for the sky. Then you start popping flashes off inside the house near every window and door. You pop off at least three different intensities at each window and door and take a shot for each of these. Then you paint the outside of the cabin either in one go round or in several - one for the roof, the porch, etc. So now we have about 20 to 40 images. Then, you can start popping and painting all over again with a different color gel on the flash and flashlight. We did an amber color most of the time, but we did do one of the cabins completely over again with blue light.

Then the tedious editing starts in Photoshop. You pick your best sky image and process it to accentuate the stars or clouds as the case may be. Save as a Tif. Then load all of the inside lighting images into layers and change the blend mode to Lighten so everything shows through. Then you turn layers on and off until you get the ones you want. You might have to change the opacity of some and add masks to some. Once you get the inside lighting the way you want it, you flatten and save as a tif. Now you load all of the outside painting images into layers and do the same thing.Now you have three tifs. You load them as layers, change the blend mode to Lighten and change opacities and add masks and tweak until you like it.

Takes several hours in the field and at least 1 hour in Photoshop.

If you read all that and have a headache, imagine doing it.

The part in the field was actually a lot of fun. We did some really cool stuff like write on the side of the cabins with laser pointers, some silhouettes of people in the windows and other creative things. I tried to stick to somewhat realistic in my processing, but when I get home (in 4 or 5 days), I will reprocess and get wild and crazy...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 5, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9325307

Patti, that's an incredible amount of work and the images are stunning. I'm sure I'll be wowed by what you turn out when you get wild and crazy as well! What a fascinating workshop, though!

Hope you're getting some sleep here and there as well...☺.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9325401

Ditto what Miss Mary says, Patti ... I'm REALLY impressed! And what a lot of work! Wow! Am really looking forward to having my sox knocked off by the "wild and crazy" ...
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012

Post #9325447

Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments. Miss Mary, I have managed a few hours of sleep. After class yesterday, I headed out and got some wildlife shots in nice evening light, but it was overcast, so I gave up around 9pm and caught up on rest - 6 whole hours! Was out at sunrise and got some more wildlife shots in pretty light. Also visited one of the many gravesites on the Cade's Cove Loop. There are a million photo ops on that 11 mile drive.

I haven't done much with these. Will play more later.

1. Cute little Nuthatch that was playing with me.
2. Critter of the day - big bear
3. Are You Coming?
4. Gravestone - This guy was married to a Cherokee Indian and fought in the North Carolina militia in the Revolutionary War. He lived longer than most back then.
5. Most interesting inscription on a gravestone. The top is somewhat eroded and I didn't do a very good job of enhancing it. The name is Russell Gregory, dates 1795 - 1864. I tried shooting it from directly above straight on, but it was still difficult to read and a very boring composition.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9325552

Few more ...

1. Mr. Cutie Pie and his shadow
2. Steel Wool Sparkler
3. Ditto - cropped a little

The steel wool thing is so awesome. If you make a little cage holder (some people use egg beaters), fill it with very fine steel wool, light the steel wool on fire and swing the holder around, you will have sparks fly. It makes for some really cool photos, but you have to be very, very careful. It is very controversial. There have been forest fires and somebody damaged one of the arches in a national park. We did it right over a stream with flowing white water and we were all looking to make sure each spark went out. Very controlled situation.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9325607

Patti, that Mr. Cutie Pie is surely a cutie! Nice shots of him, too. Love that bear with the gnarly tree!

While those steel wool sparkler shots are indeed spectacular, to me it seems rather dangerous and risky ... somehow on a par with deep fat frying a turkey ... anything can go awry! Glad to hear you guys were in good control of things!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9325634

I started a new thread ... this one is pretty long ...

Here's the new one ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286949/

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 5, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9325637

I'm glad it turned out well, too, Patti...that's scary but it really is beautiful! Nice bird shots and you know I really love the ones taken in the old cemetery. I like the angle on the last one and never would have thought of it myself. Tombstone inscriptions can be difficult to photograph and you pulled it off with originality.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2012 8:10 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America