Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Perennials: Cutting back Ice Plant help needed

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 2, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9276822

I could use some help with my 2 year old Ice Plants. Originally I bought one 6pack, and they have grown to 4ft circles- I have pulled some, cut and rooted some, and given away hundreds of cuttings. They are beautiful. Now- since they are so big, and covered with seed pods, what is the correct thing to do. Should they be cut back severely before freezing, or left alone until it is close to Spring to cut them back? They mostly have a single taproot, although some do make roots away from the starting root. I am thinking I should leave them as they are to sort of insulate the roots over winter-? Any help is appreciated- Thanks- Jo in WA

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9278554

I have the same problem. I've been moving some daylilys around and I grabbed handfuls of the ice plant and tossed their roots in with the daylilies. They do a real good job of weed control.

I'm zone 7b also. I let mine alone last winter and they did just fine.

Dawn

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9283968

I leave mine alone. They do just fine. However, at 5 years old, some of the inner plant is starting to die off. I pulled out the old ones and replaced them with new cuttings and they look great.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America