Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Need your OK to download Sclypopa

Waihi, New Zealand(Zone 1)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scolypopa_australis

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

RosinaBloom,

I don't understand what you want to download. We have an entry for Scolypopa australis in BugFiles here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/1559/
They are very common in my garden here in Australia. They seem especially fond of Virginia Creeper.

Ken

kennedyh,
Re: Scolypopa australis Order: HEMIPTERA according to wikipedia.org
Order: Homoptera according to davesgarden
Very confusing when it comes to finding Bugs in your files.

The same for the White Butterfly - other web sites given differing information.
Again confusing, especially for new members learning this web site

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

At the time we set up Bug Files, the Order Hemiptera had been divided in two, with half the families staying in Hemiptera, but have being moved into Homoptera. This remained valid for a few tears and then theexperts decreed that they all go back to being Hemiptera. I would like to correct this in BugFiles, but we have so much data that the task is rather labour intensive and sadly we have retained Homoptera for the present.
Don't enter too much information when searching. If you search by genus and species, you will find the insect if it is in BugFiles.

There is nothing odd about the White Butterfly however. Only the common name is different. It is mostly known as Small White or Cabbage White, but if you searched on the scientific name alone: Pieris rapae, you would have found it. Where you have had a problem is in including the first letter of the genus as part of the species name. The name is Pieris rapae, with Pieris being the Genus and rapae being the species. In writing about it it may sometimes be written P. rapae, but the P. is just an abbreviation for the genus and is not actually part of the species name.

Ken

kennedyh,

Thanks for all of that.

Cheers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images