Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardengirl86
Middleboro, MA

September 17, 2012
3:37 AM

Post #9277440

I love chives. Thanks for the recipes and added ideas for their use. I have 4-5 very large plants that come back every spring. I mostly use them with cottage cheese, but never thought of putting them in potato pancakes. I do not make the Irish pancakes. We are Lithuanian, so our pancakes are a bit different. We just use the fresh, grated potatoes, and squeeze the starch out of them. We sometimes add rendered pork fat or a little bacon. Very tasty. I will try adding chives next time.
How do I store my chives for the winter? Up until now I have been freezing chopped chives in ice cube trays.
MAINE_CAL
Pittsfield, ME

September 17, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9277641

I snip chives into an ice cube tray, fill the tray with water & freeze them. After they are frozen, I pop them out into a gallon freezer zip bag. I make my mashed potatoes with butter, sour cream & chives. Before peeling my potatoes, I take out 3 chive cubes (that's enough for 5 lbs. of potatoes) & put them on a plate to thaw while I peel & boil my potatoes. By the time the potatoes are cooked, the chives are thawed. I drain off/ blot any chive water before adding them to the mashed potatoes. The thawed chives are too limp to use as a garnish for baked potato, but they are wonderful in the mashed! We traditionally have roast beef with mashed potatoes for Christmas dinner. Its nice having "fresh" chives to put into the mashed potatoes when there's 6 feet of snow outside!
SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

September 17, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9277647

I also love chives and I also freeze them for winter use. I harvest them in late September, chop or use scissors to cut them fine and freeze them. I found that the ice cube trays picked up the taste in the plastic so I use snack-sized zipper bags. These bags I place in a larger freezer zipper bag (to keep the small bags from getting loose in the freezer).
I add them to mashed potatoes, couscous, scrambled eggs, as a green onion substitute in guacamole, in stir-fry, broccoli and cauliflower soup.
Great Article on an often overlooked herb!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What to Do WIth All Those . . . Chives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
tons of chives jazzy1okc 0 Sep 17, 2012 7:26 AM
chive seeds or plants ncjsgram 0 Sep 18, 2012 6:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America