Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: How to get rid of a mole, nice and easy: Mr. Mole

Communities > Forums > Article: How to get rid of a mole, nice and easy
bookmark
Forum: Article: How to get rid of a mole, nice and easyReplies: 5, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

September 17, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9277734

I love this, Adina!
After a big, new shopping mall was built in what had been a wild area a few blocks from my home, all the wildlife was displaced. Suddenly my yard was filled with new birds, mice, squirrels, and yes, moles! I tried using smoke bombs, but my neighbors from Mexico thought that the smoke coming up from the ground meant that an earthquake was occurring, and the bombs did not work, so I gave up on those. I tried growing both castor beans and marigolds, but they took up too much space and didn't seem to discourage every single mole. One was very wise and very stubborn. So I tried placing thin strips of chewing gum in the runs because I had heard Mr. Mole would think the gum was worms, would eat the strips, and would leave my yard with an upset stomach. That did not work either! I, too, tried the vibrating devices (I, too, forgot to change the batteries!), traps, stepping on his runs, drowning him out of his run--everything you tried and a few more tricks as well.
Then I realized two things: First, there were June bug beetle grubs burrowing among the roots of the grass in my lawn and Mr. Mole loved eating those grubs even more than he loved eating the earthworms; Second, Mr. Mole was breaking up the hard clay subsoil in my flower beds and, therefore, he was helping to improve it.
So, I treated the lawn with grub poison and kept putting down compost in the flowerbeds. Soon, I had many more worms in the flower beds and Mr. Mole seemed to be happy staying in the beds. We lived peacefully together for a few years!
The only plant that Mr. Mole actually permanently ruined was a small tree.
I had planted the tree in the spring, but it just never seemed to do well. Eventually, the little tree died. I went out one chilly fall day to pull up the tree and dispose of it. There, under the root ball of the dead tree, was Mr. Mole! He was all curled up, fast asleep, in a cozy winter den lined with dead grass. After admiring his silky soft winter coat, and silently praising his intelligence and determination, I quickly killed him with a shovel.
I buried Mr. Mole in his cozy den. Since then, I have not had any more moles. So, perhaps after the funeral the rest of the mole community spread the word that my garden is a "No Mole" zone. I have not used grub poison or had any moles for about five years!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 17, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9277973

Good for you! Thanks for sharing your story about Mr. Mole!LOL How did you get there so silent that he didn't hear you?

Adina
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

September 17, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9278019

LOLOL I do not know! I wasn't expecting to find him so I wasn't trying to be quiet. I wasn't even wearing tennis shoes. Perhaps he was enjoying beautiful dreams about very fat, slow worms? I read that moles do not hibernate as bears and some other animals do. This one was certainly fast asleep, however.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 18, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9278694

Did you hear him snore?ROFL
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

September 19, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9279729

ROFL
No, but moles are small so he probably snored very quietly. My husband snores very loudly, but I have promised not to get out my shovel!
In general, I hate killing animals, even mice. But since Mr. Mole died peacefully in his sleep, and cost me so much money and time when he was alive, I have to say that I didn't feel terribly guilty!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 19, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9280208

I totally agree with you! You did what you had to do. What we have to do for our gardens! laughing about the shovel and your DH!LOL

Adina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: How to get rid of a mole, nice and easy Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I've given up 1_Lucky_Texan 7 Sep 17, 2012 1:44 PM
CO2 bombs Gitagal 1 Sep 14, 2012 8:43 AM
Great article kwanjin 6 Sep 18, 2012 7:45 AM
another reason to not have a lawn... QueenThumb 1 Sep 18, 2012 7:47 AM
Moles, learn to live with them. dordee 5 Oct 21, 2012 9:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America