SOLVED: Mystery Strawberry(?) plants

Haddon Heights, NJ

Ordered what was supposed to be 6 potted strawberry plants and this is what I received.
Can someone tell me what plant/weed these might be? Thank you.

Thumbnail by louiez8 Thumbnail by louiez8 Thumbnail by louiez8 Thumbnail by louiez8
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

looks like either goosefoot or pigweed. I do see what appears to be a dead strawberry plant in pic #2 - all hunkered down in the pot...Where did you order from?

Haddon Heights, NJ

To minnesippi - sorry for the delay responding - car trouble:-) I ordered from PCH and this is the second, and last, time I will do so. I think you are right about the dead plant in pic#2 - there are 3 of them in each pot (which came with 6 bare root plants) - all of which did not give me strawberries but rather what you see in the pics - they were potted a few days after they were received, in May, and what you see started growing in mid July. When they started growing, the leaves had were the shape of a strawberry with red edges; so, naturally, I thought it was some sort of hybird ;-) Thank you for your reply - I will look into the goosefoot and pigweed suggestion.

(Zone 7a)

What is PCH?

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Publishers Clearing House?!?!

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Looks like PCH is publishers clearing house...

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2490/

(Zone 7a)

I didn't even know they sold plants.

I didn't know they sold anything other than books and magazines....hmmm.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I have gotten those offers from them many times. In my opinion, any place that offers plants without giving a botanical name, shouldn't be offering plants.

Probably not a bad rule of thumb...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
In my opinion, any place that offers plants without giving a botanical name, shouldn't be offering plants.

agreed

Haddon Heights, NJ

PCH is Publishers Clearing House and they do sell just about everything from soup(not yet) to nuts(yes). They started, years ago ('70's I believe) with magazines then started adding other small products, under $20.00, and now up to $100.00. Unfortunately, in my opinion, their quality has gone down, as their prices have gone up; much like all business. Their CD's, DVD's have been OK but I will not buy any plants from them again; they will back up their products and send you a replacement but by the time the replacement comes, it would be too late to plant it. Enough on PCH.

I still am not sure what the "strawberry" plants are. I looked up 'goosefoot' and 'pigweed' but found none that had the same look, color, etc., as shown in the pictures. Admittedly, there are a large number of varieties, and I haven't looked at all of them, but so far - no luck.

Any other suggestions? I heard that, bee nice:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.