CLOSED: SIGN UP-Decorated Pot Swap

Mount Pleasant, PA(Zone 6a)

***THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW PARTICIPANTS***

This is the sign up thread for a decorated pot swap.
The idea is to decorate a 8in. pot & send it to your swap buddy. If you're seriously craft challenged you can substitute a pot by a local craftsman.

Decorate with whatever you want stones, paint, decopage, use your imagination.

Here are the rules:

1. This cannot be a mass market pot. The idea is to keep it cheap & decorate yourself. If you want to get extra crafty & combine several pots that's fine. Keep in mind the idea is for your creation to be functional. Your partner *must* be able to use this for plants.

2. Sign up runs through October 22, 2012. Mail out November 5, 2012. That gives everyone 2 weeks to create & mail.

3. Please seal your swap partners pot if you use terra cotta or other porus materials as a base. You don't want your beautiful designs ruined.

4. Design with outdoor use in mind. Your beautiful creation needs to be functional. Seal, seal, seal! You don't want your creation ruined by the elements. Don't forget to seal the inside! Water will seep through pretty much everything but plastic & glass.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2012 9:26 PM

This message was edited Oct 21, 2012 12:28 AM

This space is reserved for the participant list.
Yay! People actually signed up. I was scared this would flop. :)
Participants:
1. ahoogstra
2. chellflower
3. deejay
4. hartzell81
5. Kim_M
6. lanakila
7. mittsy
8. taters55
(yes it's in alphabetical order....so far. Yay for my OCD)
*If yinz guys would d-mail me your addresses I would be ever so grateful!*
This message was edited Sep 20, 2012 10:24 PM

This message was edited Sep 20, 2012 10:27 PM

This message was edited Sep 29, 2012 11:06 PM

This message was edited Oct 7, 2012 9:15 PM

Cutlerville, MI

Count me in! I would love to decorate a special pot!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Me, too. I have an idea for a special pot I've been wanting to try.
mittsy

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

ME TOO

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Are these to be clay pots?

clay pots are easier to redo but you can proble do old water can , or An old Mixing bowl :) straw hats ,I Don't think it matters as long as we recreate it :)

taters:
deejay is correct :) you can be as creative as you want as long as your pot is @ least an 8in pot & functional. :) So if you want to use something else go for it!

I HAVE MINE STARTED :))))

Wow Susie you're really on the ball! :)

Oh I Love the crafty ones :) just wish i knew who i was sending to so i could personalize it a bit more :))) so that part will have to wait :)))

Cutlerville, MI

I am SO excited too! Susie you rock! I know who every gets your goodies will be HAPPY!!!! This is is so exciting!

YEP alicia Got a Peek of mine yesterday :)

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

please sign me up for this one.
Thanks!

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm in! I've D-mailed my addy. :)

Sorry been MIA because well life. LOL Susie I can't wait to see your creation. I can't wait to see all of them. :)
Updated the sign up today. I didn't miss anyone did I?

taters55 did you want to participate? I wasn't sure if you were curious about the swap & just asking or not. :) Ok I'm going to bed. This has been a week. :)

Oh what the heck, I will give it a try. If I can't paint, I can use stickers can't I?

I Like STICKERS :))))))

Heck yeah you can use stickers! Just remember to seal them (by that I seriously just mean spray them with clear spray paint) I used to do that with the girls when they were little & we'd decorate plastic pots.

Cutlerville, MI

I LOVE this! We are all getting crazy crafty:) Hee hee hee..what a great swap!

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Count Me In :-)

It worked! I wanted to see if I could create a "patchwork" effect using printed tissue paper and Elmer's glue. I wanted it to look like fabric. I am very happy with the results. I now need to apply a permanent clear sealer to make it totally waterproof. I think I should also get some felt to put on the bottom or maybe some little feet. Would you like to see the tissue paper I started with?
mittsy

Oh, I would love to see your paper? What color?

Does this have to be one open pot, or can it be several pots made into something?

brown and pink.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

Beautiful colors Mittsy!

For those who are very creative, you could make something out of several pots. For those of us who are good copiers, we'll just borrow ideas we've seen somewhere else! The cutest repurposed thing I have seen recently was a lampshade frame covered in silverware and utensils that were sort of woven togeher to make the body of the shade. Two of them hung over the kitchen bar in a home decorated for the Parade of Homes. I just loved them. My sister took a picture with her phone and I have asked her to email to me but she hasn't done it yet. Another cute thing they did was to paint a saying " Loads of fun!" on the wall over the washer and dryer. For the window treatment they took 5 odd socks and hung them like a valance over the window with Lost Socks painted on a weathered board. Very clever.

I'm going to try my hand at some decoupage. I have no idea what I'll be sticking on the pot, but it'll be fun to play with stuff. I am really enjoying getting in on these swaps because a) I get to try new things, b) I have to actually finish a project, and c) by a deadline!

I think we have another one hooked on the swaps! ^_^

Quote from taters55 :
I think we have another one hooked on the swaps! ^_^

Who, me? :P

DOSE IT Matter if it is for INDOOR Or OUTDOOR ???

Not to me, but up to our hostess to set some guidelines.

I Like out door type so i can show them off :) & I don't do house plants . wish i could .

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Where is our hostess? I haven't received any correspondence about signing up.

Please seal your pot so that it can be used outdoors!

Cutlerville, MI

Oh.....this swap is crazy fun!!!!!!!!!!1 I know we are all going to be so happy:)

Kim, the hostess is just busy, she has not added my name either, but she will.

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Worked on mine all last night! and some more things to do... So excited. 8 inches is a really nice sized pot!

Sorry y'all. These 60+ hour weeks are killer & I keep getting called back from my breaks. This week is a 70 hour week. If 1 more person quits @ my 2nd job I'm going to scream! Kim & taters I will add you to the swap list! In answer to the questions

The idea is to do 1 pot but if you have an idea that combines several run with it. Please keep in mind we want to be able to put plants in these so pots should be open so that's possible.

Outdoor is what I had in mind for pots when this was set up. Mine (except for my big permanent porch pots) travel inside in the winter. Otherwise they're outside. That's the idea behind sealing them. That makes them functional & helps protect them from the elements. Also not everyone has houseplants :).
I hope I got everyones questions. This will def. help me refine the rules next year. :)
I won't be on tomorrow (10-8-12) I have a 16 hour day but will be on Tues. Wed & Thur I have about an hour & a half between shifts so should be able to pop in. :) I so deserve a Sat or Sun off LOL. I can't wait until we get more people hired who will actually work & stay. :)

Quote from mittsy :
It worked! I wanted to see if I could create a "patchwork" effect using printed tissue paper and Elmer's glue. I wanted it to look like fabric. I am very happy with the results. I now need to apply a permanent clear sealer to make it totally waterproof....
mittsy

I love your idea & the colors od the paper you used! I can't wait to see the final results when we reveal!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.