Grow Lights

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have several small citrus trees that I am bringing into my living room for the winter. They will be lined up next to my southern-facing picture window. I would like to add a grow light to help supplement, and I would like to find a good one that I can just use in a standard lamp fixture. Does anyone have any recommendations on a type and where I might be able to purchase?

Thank you!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I like fluorescent shop lights myself--I've found they work the best. I'm not sure if the little compact fluorescents generate enough light, and incandescent bulbs are also small plus they generate too much heat (whatever light source you use, you need to keep it close to the top of the plants or else it doesn't do nearly as much good). Whatever you decide though, you don't need to spend extra money buying a "grow light", the plain fluorescent lights do just fine.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I've used CFLs in reflector lamps and they work great. The light is concentrated. I use those clip on lights like you would use as a work lamp or brooder lamp, but you might want to find something better looking for the house.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the tips! I'm happy I can use a plain old CFL, I already have one in a floor lamp that has an additional "spotlight," if you will, for reading. It is about 2/3 of the way up the lamp, a perfect height to be just above the tops of my plants. Thanks guys!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.