Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

September 18, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9278891

The numbers in the top box are not right. There are about 2000 species in the genus and 7500 species in the family.
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9280657

Actually, it most likely depends on the taxonomic system being used as a reference. I quoted someone else's numbers in the article. Truly, I am no taxonomist, so I have to choose my authority carefully. I trust the GRIN website's version of the APG III Taxonomic System. It lists 528 species in the Euphorbia genus and 232 genera in the family Euphorbiaceae. This is one family that has undergone tremendous changes in recent years, and there is much confusion, even among the experts, about correct names for species and exactly which plants belong in this family and which ones don't. Nobody, however, argues as to its great variety.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

September 19, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9280705

The article has the wrong numbers.

There are not 466 species in the Euphorbiaceae family, there are at least 10 times that many. APG III lists (about) 200 genera and 5700 species in the family. The Kew Plant List has the species count around 7500 (that's the number attached to the Wikipedia entry). Whatever your source, 466 is not the right number there. Neither is 266 (species count in Euphorbia genus)... you just said that number should be 528? Again, The Kew Plant List (and Wikipedia) list a much larger number.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2012 8:42 PM
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9280830

My references can be found at http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxfam.pl. I'm not talking about species in Euphorbiacea, but genera. That's a BIG difference. I have revised my numbers to reflect 232 genera in Euphorbiaceae (excluding synonyms) and 528 species (again, excluding synonyms) in the genus Euphorbia (not family, Euphorbiaceae) as listed on the GRIN website.

Thanks for your sharp attention to detail.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

September 20, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9281472

Looks good now.
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9281820

Thanks for calling this to my attention. My intention is to publish correct information. Sometimes I miss. Like they say, Pobody's Nerfect!

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

September 21, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9282161

That was a quick fix. I'm blissfully ignorant about taxonomy for the most part, but since I grow 40 or 50 succulent Euphorbias, I've had reason to read about them. The family is huge.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Euphorbiaceae, A Family of Great Variety Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Acalypha trackinsand 1 Sep 19, 2012 7:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America