AuthorContent

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9279312

I was raised in hotels because my dad's career was as hotel management. So I wanted to see how many of them were standing. I think this is the first one, called the Cornish Arms in NYC Several of these hotels were owned by the Knott chain.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9279319

this one was called the Holly Chambers. I believe both the Cornish Arms and Holly Chambers are now condos or rental units. Architecturally, this one is a bit boring.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9279324

This one is in Wilmington, Delaware. It's called the Rodney. Named after a patriot, I believe.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1   Thumbnail by woodspirit1         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9279328

I think this was my favorite as a young kid. We had actual grounds to play on, some neighborhood kids, the pool and nature. I think this one is now a senior citizen residential hotel. Edited to say this one is in Daytona Florida. You can see the St. John's River in the front view. The pool is in the back.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2012 7:08 PM

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9279331

This is the Essex Hotel in Boston. I had started school in Daytona but finished 1st grade in Boston. I hear the Essex is still operating as a hotel.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9279338

Back in NYC. This is the Windsor, now the property Leona Helmsly. Grr-r-r-r. I used to have a photo of her, printed on the cover of Newsweek. She is literally snarling. The print said "Rhymes with Rich." I kept that picture in the back of my closet. The family joke was to hang a picture of someone really dastardly to scare the rats out of your closet.
This hotel was only 1 block away from Central Park so we at least got outdoors some of the time. Folks thought we lived so ritzy but it was very boring and we had to be quiet all the time.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9279346

The owners of the Windsor moved us to the newly renovated Savannah Hotel. They picked my Dad to run it because he was southern. I loved Savannah. The hotel was on one of the many small parks in Savannah and we could walk to everywhere inlcuding the library and where we took piano lessons. My folks bought a bungalow on a tidal creek and we lived there part time. Real kids living next door, lots of time in the tidal creek where I learned to crab. My first crush. When we left here I didn't speak to my Dad for weeks.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9279348

This is the Weldon Hotel in Greenfield, Mass. It had very pretty grounds and a homey feeling. I love the architecture but was so homesick for Savannah that I couldn't really enjoy it. We were only here about 5 months when my Dad found a job in Atlanta. I believe this is a retirement center, too. It is built around a courtyard and also had an attached greenhouse all down one side.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9279358

This is probably the largest hotel my dad managed, called the Piedmont in Atlanta. It is no longer standing. We bought a house in suburbs, a community called Avondale. So we only lived in this hotel briefly. I did enjoy taking the bus to downtown and shopping at Rich's Dept. Store, no longer standing either. Atlanta was really on the move at this time, about 1958-1960.
After the Piedmont, my mother put her foot down and we bought a house in Wilmington, NC. I hated moving as a senior in high school. But we had a lot of family there and they lived mostly at Wrightsville Beach so we had a great time.
My Dad went on to manage 3 Holiday Inns at once in Baltimore.
His last hotel job was at the Blockade Runner on Wrightsvile Beach. We never lived in that one.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2012 7:30 PM

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America