Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pets: Hot spots

Communities > Forums > Pets
bookmark
Forum: PetsReplies: 30, Views: 221
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 19, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9279859

I found something that works and I think is safe for my dogs . I've had a flea problem this summer and two of my dogs have bitten raw places on their back . About the size of a dime .
I thought that Preparation H was to relieve pain and deaden the itching , so had some and put a tiny bit on my finger , rubbed it on the raw spot . BAM , the spot quit itching and except for no hair , skin looked normal next day. I've used it four times this last month on two dogs . So far ,big success . Dogs don't try to lick it off , so hopefully Palm Bob won't holler at me . Also kept the tiny gnats away

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9280799

sounds good to me.
You can also wash the dogs with Murphy's oil soap.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 20, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9280956

That sounds good for a larger area , I'll try that if it happens . thanks .
I'm supprised there aren't more comments . Hot spots are so common .
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #9282768

Digger,Thanks for the tip. I've had problems with fleas this year too. Been blaming the drought.Ticks and chiggers were almost non-existent. But fleas were bad.
Vickie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 22, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9282807

Yes, Vickie , I can't treat the whole woods , same as you . But when we get to Texas , with the lot only being 100x100 , and all fenced , you can bet the first thing will be to put out granules , water them in . We will have to bomb the house here when we leave , to be on the safe side . Don't want to be attacked when we get back .

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9285490

I have used preparation H to treat multiple inflammatory skin lesions on dogs that require some decent anti-inflammatory... works pretty well, but most hot spots are a result of a more systemic problem and need more systemic treatment, such as good flea control, products for itching, and sometimes antibiotics.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9285621

Thanks Palmbob, I would never have thought of Prep H.
Dillen has had everything tried on him this year. My little dog Cricket rarely goes outside and she had no problems nor my bigger dog Scoot.
I live in a National Forest.Tho my dogs are in a large pen.
Am hoping for a very cold and long winter.
Vickie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 25, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9285731

Palmbob , what are your thoughts on liquid spray for fleas on the yard vs watered in granules ? We will also have a swarm of mosquitoes every fall that will come up in clouds from the grass when you walk across . I don't know of any one's pet getting sick , and it's about the only control for fleas , ticks , mosquitoes . The fogger truck comes through each week and I try to get the animals in the house before he passes . That stuff makes me cough , can't be ok for pets .

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9286157

liquids are more apt to reach fleas, which may not have any particular contact with granules. Of course if you ONLY trying to kill fleas, you would ignore the lawn which is the last place a flea would want to me (they detest sunlight). I would concentrate on areas of the yard where the pets sit and rest, or near the back door.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 25, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9286213

Thank you . I remember you went into great detail on fleas , different meds for treatment , etc , awhile back . The yard I'll be treating is mostly shade except for a moving spot of sun briefly each day .I'll certainly go the liquid route , then .My yard is mostly beach type sand , hauled in years ago to raise the yard a bit more above sea level .I have huge live oak with spreading limbs , all in a 100 x100' fenced lot . The dogs love to hang out at the front fence line , of course , next to the road , so they can run off all the joggers and burgers . That is the only place I have established grass (so far). Thanks again , liquid for sure .
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 15, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9305645

We live in the Everglades where every bug in the world is prolific- especially fleas and ticks. In the house (for roaches and ants too) we use 20 mule team borax sprinkled around. For outside we use diatamaceous earth. It's even good for dust chickens for mites. I looked it up on line and some people put it in their own food. I assume there is a food grade quality.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 16, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9307292

I'll pass that on to a friend that bought a repo mobile home and is fighting roaches . I said flea bombs , she said ,she tried that , no good . Maybe the borax will work for her . I rented years ago and it seems like there were roaches in several places . We could only spray , didn't have bombs then, and I didn't know about borax . What do you use for mosquitoes ?
I'd like to visit the Everglades and travel the bridge over the keys , stop, and see some of the sights .

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9308327

We've had a horrendous time with fleas this fall! One of our kitties is super sensitive to them. Frontline would not knock them out but we seem to have them under control with revolution. Or at least it seems to have done so.

A little off topic but responding to the comment about fleas being bad. Last year ticks were awful. Not so much this year.

Tam
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 18, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9308815

No problem with ticks for several years .
Just sprayed the yard for sceeters and fleas . I hate it kills everything , but my arms are bruised from scratching .
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9522720

I wrote my comment Oct 2012- 2 dogs are on flea stuff but the other dog and cats aren't. I swear by 20 mule Team Borax. can't find the original Downy anymore that relieves the itch.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 18, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9524602

My vet uses Malithion (sic) in his kennels he told me he has to switch off the control product every so often be cause the fleas become immune ,,We have a terrible flea problem here in SE Oklahoma so much so that they sometimes kill a dog I keep my dogs on an internal flea control medicine year round ...We have a regular dog rodeo on the first day of every month
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 18, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9525239

I had fleas BAD this last winter in Texas . After bathing them and combing the fleas out , coming back to Georgia , only found three on one dog and no more . Haven't seen one since we got back . I will have the yard treated when we get back by a professional . It didn't do any good to spray the yard both with liquid or granuals . I combed 50+ out of thier coats every day . I shudder to think how bad it could have been .
It's horrible to think of a poor animal being killed that way .
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2013
2:50 AM

Post #9530718

Yes it is digger. So far no fleas this year but of course we have ticks now. but just on me. None in the dogpen and none on the cats. Guess I'll have to stay away from my flowers.
Vickie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 23, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9530902

Hi , Sweetie , how is Scoot doing ? Has he learned to add and subtract yet ? I still marvel at how fast he learned to open our gates onto the porch . I look at his pictures often , would love to see some later ones . Can you post some ?
I had a tick on my leg and got one off a dog last week .
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9531677

Jumping in here tonight. I was told a long time ago that it is near to impossible to fight fleas in the yard as long as there are squirrels around.
We live in a suburb of Dallas, Texas and it couldn't be more "citified". There is a constant battle going on with raccoons, possums and squirrels. Occasionally there will be a coyote spotted and everyone is advised to keep their animals in after sundown.

I am covered with mosquito bites and have found nothing to deter them.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 13, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9629444

Update on here .
Still no big problem for fleas here in Georgia . I gave the dogs Frontline plus when I combed out four on one of them . They still scratch a lot and the fleas were so tiny , the comb would hardly pick them up . Never saw fleas that were so small they were hard to see .I'll be going to the oral meds now . My babies can't take another year like last winter in Tex . The first thing will be to have the yard treated by a pro. We have a lot of wildlife there , as we back up to a wildlife preserve . I trapped 'coons and possoms , released them either across a two mile bridge or ten miles away on a creek .
LouC , I keep repellent on the table on front porch . Noseeums are vicious here and skeeters in Tex .I buy the strongest Deep Woods in a pump bottle , much cheaper and goes much longer than aerosol .
I haven't been able to talk about her until now , but I had to let my heart cross the bridge July 3rd . She had seizures , like epilepsy with the scream first . Phenobarb worked for two weeks , then the last day she had several , going into coma .at vets office . The crematorum made her footprints in clay along with a clip of her hair to keep with her ashes .My heart will hurt forever for Gracie, just like for Gertrude , Digger , and Pepper.These four could hold a conversation with me .I've had to let so many go and I loved them all . I have three left and no more , my heart can't take the tears .

Thumbnail by digger9083
Click the image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 13, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9629456

Another, Pepper , Gracie again

Thumbnail by digger9083   Thumbnail by digger9083         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9629462

So very sorry for your loss of Gracie. I'm sure we all wish we could erase your pain but it's just not possible.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9629473

Im so sorry to hear of you loss as well. I had to make the horrible choice last year for my Gus, due to seizures. This year it was our 14 yr old cat boo boo. Its a hard thing to shake, its just so painful to think about. I still, every time I see someone walking their dog, think...wow are they going to be hurting one day. Ive got to get over that. We still have a couple of older dogs, but I did get a rescue recently that was on the kill list. I hope to have her a long time, and can take solice in the fact that she at least got a chance at a life. I know it wont work that way, but thats how Im trying to see it. I hate to admit it, but I still cant look at a picture of my lost pets. It just tears me up.
Hope the happy memories will take over for you soon, Im sure Gracie had one good life!!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9629514

Since the first of this year (2013) we had to put down our 10 year old Schi-Tzu and then the 7 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Don't know where I found the info but I have a theory about the cause. They both developed diabetes and within days were critical. At the time they each were on a prednisone pack for skin conditions. You can be sure my new puppies (14 weeks old) will have any and all alternate treatments before I use steroids again. This was two different vets and neither had a clue as to what would make them develop diabetes.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9629679

LouC - my vet warned me about the risk of diebetes from steriods. Our kitty Scirocco was dropping weight last year - she went from 12lbs down to 6.6lbs. The vet offered one shot of steroid that would last about a week or pills. He said there was a small risk of diabetes from the shot and that the risks mounted quite rapidly with subsequent shots of steroids. We did go for the shot since she was losing ground fast and was awful to catch & pill. It didn't seem to help for long and we eventually stopped giving her the steroid pills (which came next). She stabilized and has been hovering close the 7lbs since. (DH calls her our "super model")

So its a known risk for steroid shots. Not sure what a "pack" is so maybe different.

Tam
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9629702

For what it's worth - mosquitoes won't bite you if you drink 2 ounces of tonic water a day. I read about this and started drinking it in April to prepare for gardening season. I'm still drinking it daily. It works for me. I don't know why. They might land but they don't bite.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 13, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9629924

Thanks , everybody .
I could handle two ounces if I didn't have to season it with gin . LOL
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9630415

A steroid is usually a ascending/descending dosage...

first day one pill
Second day 1 1/2 pill
third day 3 pills
then it starts back down.

this is just a for instance...Of course the mg are adjusted for weight in the prescription.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 18, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9634444

When our dogs start to have a skin condition dw just smears some Vicks on them and it seems to work as well as the steroids and is a lot cheaper
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 18, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9634476

Good to know .

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Does Anyone Show Dogs?? momcat 154 Jul 29, 2009 9:01 PM
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? gardenwife 20 Oct 2, 2009 7:10 PM
mourning DawnG 26 Jul 16, 2010 10:38 AM
Bertha got a hair cut!! MOLLYBEE 10 Aug 8, 2011 11:49 AM
Fritzie meets (& almost eats) Santa Claus Buttoneer 22 Sep 3, 2009 11:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America