Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Are these white mini tulips and yellow daylillies?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
thelabaffs
Houston, TX
(Zone 10a)

September 19, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9280313

I got some bulbs growing wild last spring on a rock ledge in about an inch of dirt in east texas / lake livingston last year. They were small dark yellow flowers with bright red centers Only one bloomed this spring and I missed it ( so no picture to share), so I went back last week to see if I could get a couple more. I was surprised to see there were a bunch about to bloom (which surprised me as before they bloomed in spring), so I dug some up. Turns out they were different than the ones I got last spring as these look like miniature white tulips. There are pink stripes on the underside of three petals on most of these. Only a few are solid white on the underside. All have the little yellow centers. Can someone tell me what these are.

I also have these little yellow bulbs I bought. I was told these were hurricane lillies, but they aren't. Would have been able to tell if had been blooming when I bought them. A friend said she thought they were daylillies. Can someone confirm? The yellow and red bulbs I mentioned at the beginning looked kind of like these but with red centers so if you know what they might be let me know so I can look them up.

All of these are bulbs and have flower seed pods when the flowers are done. Thanks to the community!

Thumbnail by thelabaffs   Thumbnail by thelabaffs   Thumbnail by thelabaffs
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9281205

Maybe the small white ones are Autumn crocus ...crocus kotschyanus

http://www.americanmeadows.com/flower-bulbs/fall-flowering-crocus-flower-bulbs/white-autumn-crocus-bulbs
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 22, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9283159

They're not daylilies or Crocus...
You need to post this in the Plant ID Forum.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America