Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Florida Gardening: All Florida Chit Chat #6

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 180, Views: 2,014
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9280504

Welcome, please join us.
Here we chat about our gardens and plants and what every else that strikes our fancey
We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272010/#top

My new water pools

Thumbnail by wren107
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 19, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9280562

Thank you for the new thread.

Sylvain.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9280686

Great pools Sandy and a lot of fun too, I bet.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9280860

Yes they are, except for needing to clean out the older ones.
I gave the goldfish in the larger one away as they had gotten to big, I have started to clean out that one.
Moves the goldfish from the second pool in the older line into the first pool of the new line of pools, today I will move the goldfish from 3rd one into the 3rd new one. Then once I get the older ones cleaned out I will need to buy some more goldfish AND SOME MORE PLANTS!!!!! LOL!!!
I plan to add 2 more of the pools to the lines which will mean MORE PLANTS!!!!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9281540

GREAT idea for keeping plants going to put in pond. Thanks Sandy. My koi shred anything they get their mouth on. Little devils. Guess they like to have something to play with as I don't think they really eat them cause parts are alwlays gloating on the water for me to remove.
Hope all is well at your house.
Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9281882

Koi would not do good in my set up. So I just buy the cheap "feeder" goldfish. If they survive then I am doing a good deed, other wise they would be some animals lunch . The large ones I had 3 years.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9281886

For anyone in the JAX area looking to do something indoors this weekend, the quilt show is at the Prime Osborne center today & tomorrow. No live plants but lots of quilts with applique flowers. Over 200 AWESOME quilts on display.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9282625

I'ii try to be there.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9282628

Sorry I still can not walk that much-thought if these injections to the knees help I might make it next year
Sandy
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9283519

Just didn't have the energy left. I love that show too.
(Kicking myself gently!)
Actually I have good news and if you have read this elsewhere please forgive my repeats.
I have been deemed cured by Dr Virtabo head of trauma at Shands here in Jax.
I can't run yet, but balance is great and I am getting around good. Dr Virtabo suggested I use assistance when flying from here on out.
I still occasionally look like I downed a bottle of wine when I walk, and my friend says it looks like it hurts to walk. It does not hurt, but I get back fatigue easy.
I am very interested in getting back to the water and fishing. I will also be taking enough coleus with me to fill all my boxes on my deck. Then a trip to Jupiter and the nurseries in between to get fill ins.
I am considering flower boxes for my boat. I know I need a new flowering Sweet Almond. I may find one of those here in Jax.
Stay safe friends.
Sidney

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9283521

Sidney sounds good.

Sandy
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9283680

What GREAT news Sidney!!!! I know you so enjoy being active. When do you plan to head south?
Summer has just flown by. I never even made it up to Linda's to reclaim my chair.

Quilt Show was packed yesterday afternoon. A lot of Charities will be getting nice checks from the $$$ raised.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9283802

Great news, Sidney. It sounds like only time and perseverance will complete the job of getting you back on your feet and running again. Positive thoughts going your way.

Take care, everyone.
Sylvain.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9283808

great water garden you have. Where did ya find those containers???

thanks so much

Jan
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9284243

Hooray for you Sidney!!!!!!!! Wonderful news. Now that you have the all clear you'll be getting back in the swing of things I'm sure.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9284343

Jan I get all but the large one from Home Depot. They cost about 30 dollars each.
I drill a hole as a out spout to go into the next one. I have a drip going into the first one in line

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 24, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9285143

Went to go out the side door of the lanai to check on my veggies and guess what I saw? A BOBCAT! We stared at each other and then he walked away. I had been told that there was one in the neighborhood... Beautiful. I feel as though I need to put water out for him. With all the snakes and tree rats, he should be having himself a nice smorgasbord! Now I know what has set off the light sensor on the back of the "man-cave" in the middle of the night--and that's inside the fence.
Debi
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9287303

GREAT news Sidney, I am very happy for you. Nothing like being able to get around under your own power.
Bonnie
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9287579

Sidney - wonderful news of your recovery! I know you will be glad to get back to the big lake. I have a Sweet Flowering Almond (Aloysia virgata) rooted here. Sherrie and Buddy are supposed to be coming by (coming to your house for computer needs). I'll send the Aloysia your way. I'm not sure about planting it in a box though, if that was your idea. I had no idea it would reach over the top of our 2-story house and just keeps growing!. It might be too crowded in a box.

Qwilter - I heard about the quilt show on TV and knew you would be going. I would like to have made it, but I'm staying close to home these days unless pried out of the yard by a necessary appointment or other errand.

Debij - Wow! What a great thing to see the Bobcat! It sounds like you were more startled than the cat. Not much wildlife around here, even with bodies of water within a few miles. The urban crunch has chased out all the critters. Not even many raccoons or possums. I keep waiting for a snake to show up (hopefully a friendly one), but no luck within about 9 years.

Today I woke up to what must be for most of us the most horrific nightmare possible (but VERY real)!! The police were here with a bush hog and a crew of about 6 with weed wackers and set upon my gardens to level them to the ground. I had responded to previous notices, citing my exemption from the city "nuisance vegetation" ordinances because I practiced "Florida Friendly" landscaping, as per the state law signed by Governor Crist. I was on the verge of a total emotional meltdown, but managed to stay cool and state my case. They actually were already attacking the areas by the curb and were preparing to knock down my fence and enter the yard with the bush hog. Cool reason and ability to produce my correspondence and references to the law finally got them stopped before too much damage. It was clear that no one involved (except me) had ever heard of the law. I am going down tomorrow to the Code Enforcement office and see what can be done to stop the process. I am almost afraid to leave home because I am concerned they will come back and clear cut what I've worked on for about 10 years, and spent more money than I want to calculate, to turn my little acre into a natural habitat, not a monoculture, polluting, high maintenance lawn. Please! Kind thoughts, prayers, meditations, magic spells, whatever you choose, are desired. Or, come join me in a human chain to surround the perimeter and protect my gardens (but only if you are willing to go to jail, which would be the only likely outcome).

And the other news today, actually less distressing, was that I do have perineal squamous cell carcinoma. The doctor is setting me up for visits with oncologists and radiation oncologists; with CT scans, colonoscopy, and other tests to follow. Surgery is not really an option, so it looks like I will have to do some form of chemo. The doctor says he generally gets an 80% success rate with chemo with this kind of cancer. Again - Kind thoughts, prayers, meditations, magic spells, whatever you choose, are desired.

What a memorable day! LOL

Jeremy

Photo: My Sweet Flowering Almond (Aloysia virgata) as seen from the landing between the 1st and 2nd floors of our house. It is in flower constantly in the warm months, deciduous in winter. The aroma is wonderful! It is not actually an almond and I don't know how that common name got applied unless some people think it smells like almond scent (I don't!) I've propagated quite a few cuttings from it. It tends to have a lot of "water sprouts" that stand straight up on the limbs. I cut most of those off and use them to propagate more trees. And edited to add - the hummingbirds surprised me by loving these tiny white flowers!

This message was edited Sep 27, 2012 1:14 AM

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9287977

You just cant even imagine the good thoughts and prayers headed your way. If youve got the strength not to totally come unglued with the bush hog, your gunna make the chemo too. There is a very very good success rate and altho I dont know when you caught yours, you should many more years to fight the bush hog.

honestly, I still cant imagine you when they came to cut that stuff, your a trooper, thats for sure. You would have thought, even if they had the right to cut it, they would let someone know ahead of time. Its not like the house was vacant or something.

Someone once told me tht God didnt give anyone any more than they could handle. Ive begged him at times, not to think Im so strong. Hopefully, you will not have any more 'testing' any time soon.

pam

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 27, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9287981

Jeremy, I was sorry to read about your health problems. Best thoughts, vibes and prayers going your way. And what a horrible thought to wake up as a wrecking crew is preparing to level your garden. I would join you in forming a human chain around your garden to keep Code Enforcement vilains out of your garden, but I am too pretty to go to jail; sorry.

I have one of those sweet almond bushes growing here. I love it. It is trouble-free, blooms most of the year and when the breeze is just right, my outside office under the carport smells heavenly. How does one propagate such a bush? Your advice would be appreciated.

Take care.
Sylvain.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9288043

I cant wait to find out what the city tells him. Curious what sent them there in the first place. You would have thought they would have said, trim or be trimmed, but to just send someone out of the blue...not nice.
mistressgardenr
Jacksonville, FL

September 27, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9288182

Qwilter~I still have the chair safely stored. Just let me know when you can come visit! I am getting GH prepared/covered in anticipation of the frigid wather that will be soon here. Yard is full of weeds right now but too many other ptojects going on

Sidney ~ that is wonderful news. I know you will be happy to be back on the boat and enjoying time down there. It took awhile for me to get back on my feet and I am still limited on some things but we find a way!!

Jeremy ~ I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers ~ you have been through so much lately. I don't think the city had any business doing that tho--there are way to many foreclosed properties grown into jungles by neglect and they do nothing. I would demand an explanation and an apology!
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9288804

Jeremy, two major hits at one time! Glad you got the wrecking crew to stop & I also wonder why there was no notice sent to the homeowner. I would think that would be a legal requirement.

All positive thoughts & energy headed your way throughout the duration! 80% is GOOD odds!!! You'll do fine.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9291010

Thanks, all, for your encouragement in both of my current battles (which are only 2 at the top of the list of several ongoing wars LOL).

I have an appointment with a radiation oncologist on Tuesday afternoon and an appointment with another oncologist Wednesday afternoon. The colo-rectal surgeon that diagnosed the cancer suggested I have an office visit with both of them. I will know more of what to expect within a week or so. I am currently doing what I can to tolerate the pain, while also trying to stay busy and accomplish what I can while I still can.

I took a strong stance in my letter to the Director of the Code Compliance Division, giving a Cease and Desist Order (though I'm not sure I have any legal authority to do that, other than by paying taxes that pay her salary and by some extended and shaky logic, therefore being her boss). I also stated she was welcome to refer my claim for damage to my property to the city Insurance and Risk Management Division, to whom I would gladly provide an itemized list of the ornamental plants they mangled or destroyed. I have read through the city ordinance several times and there is no mention of any portion of the ordinance being applicable to ornamental plants. The ordinance only applies to "nuisance vegetation" and "weeds." So even without my affirmative defense that I am exempt from the ordinance by practicing Florida Friendly Landscaping techniques (as per Florida Statutes), there is no legitimate reason for the city to send a crew to hack up ornamental plants. They would have to pass a new ordinance to prohibit "effusive gardening." LOL

Sylvain, I share your lack of desire to become the girly-man of a convict's fondest desiring. But if the city shows up again with a mowing crew, I may have to take one for the team. LOL

Photos - 1. Confederate Rose (Hibiscus mutabalis) wearing her late afternoon shades of pink.
2. My first attempt at propagating by air-layering seems to be a success! I want to make my 'Pink Perfection' Camellia (which is decades old and here when I bought the house) into a "standard" bare trunk shrub shape. But I didn't want to lose the chance to propagate the lower limbs I intend to remove. Soon after the Camellia flowered this spring, I cut some notches into the bark at the base of the lower branches, sprinkled on some hormone rooting powder, wrapped the area in wet orchid moss, put a piece of spongy foam pipe insulation around the moss, then wrapped the entire portion in pieces of thin nylon fabric and portions of grocery bags. I left a small gap at the top of the wrapping to allow moisture to enter. I think all the rain this summer assisted with rooting. It's been like having Christmas packages waiting to be opened for the past several months. I finally couldn't take the suspense any longer and cut off one of the air-layering attempts with an electric chain saw. I was thrilled to see that roots were actually forming. I have about 8 more limbs that I will wait a while longer to unpackage. There should be plenty of 'Pink Perfection' to share. Some of them are intended to go south to BocaGinger whose grandfather developed the 'Pink Perfection' camellia cultivar. It will be interesting to see if Camellias can be grown and made to flower in south Florida. My recommendation would be to find someone with a restaurant refrigerator that is not being used to keep food, and put the potted Camellias in cold storage slightly above freezing for the winter months.

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener   Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9306822

Where is everyone? Just back from a trip up north and was surprised to see this thread has not been updated since last month.
All my plants that "took the summer off" are now blooming in full force. A Hibiscus that has not bloomed in a couple years is flowering & full of buds.

Now to work on killing the weeds and getting some good soil in my soon to be flower bed.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9307419

I am here just tired.

Sandy
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9308243

Today I took Jeremy to Memorial Hosp. He's in 409 South. He has some kind of infection and is getting ready to undergo Chemo and Radiation. He said you could call him at any hour because he is quite sure they will keep him awake 24/7.
All affirmations, prayers and just sending him strength and holding him in your heart is appreciated.
Sidney

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9308289

Sidney could you dmail me the phone number??

Sandy

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9308643

Sidney, could you please provide the phone number to the hospital? I tried Googling them. I assumed they were in Jacksonville, but they don't have Jeremy as a patient there.

Thanks.
Sylvain.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9308961

Memorial, # is 904-399-6996. His name is Jeremy Lucas. I'm headed that way right now.
Sidney

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9309203

Sidney please tell Jeremy I have tried to call a couple of times but have missed him.

Sandy
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9309213

Just talked to Jeremy. Sounds like he is doing better. Just needs to get one med problem straightened out.
Thanks Sidney for the info.
Bonnie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2012
1:47 AM

Post #9311003

Prayers.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9311227

I posted on another thread so sorry for cross posting I'm just trying to find out what type owl this is. It few in a few inside the pool cage a few hours ago.

thanks for any help folks.

Jan

Thumbnail by meadowyck

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9311438

Description in bird book: 8 1/2 to 9"=ID. Variably colored small owl that iso ften divided into 2 dintinct species. Yellow eyes, prominent ear tufts, bold white spots across folded wint and black edged, facial disc are all good features.
Voice: Wavering shistles and a trill.
Habitat: Woods, parks and suburbe.
Range> Throughout US northwards along coast of Britich Columbia to Alaska.
Movements: Resident.

We had one come down our chimney and fireplace once. Boy did I have a mess of soot to clean up after we finally caught him. They are cute tho.
Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9311583

Looks like a Screech Owl to me

Sandy
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9311655

Description from my bird book:Screech Owl 8 1/2 to 9in. ID. Variably colored small owl that is often divided into 2 distinct species. Yellow eyes, prominent ear tufts, bold white spots acrodd folded wing and black-edged, facial disc are all good features. Voice: wavering whistles and a trill.
Habitat: Woods, parks suburbs.
Range: Through US northwards along coast of British Colunbia to Alaska.
Movements: Resident

Jan we have had one that somehow got into our chimney and came down fireplace opening and boy did I have a mess of soot to clean up before we finally caugh
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9311658

Please excuse double post. PC is nuttier than I am. At least you know we were trying to help. LOL
Bonnie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9314928

Yesterday Jeremy, who checked himself out of the hosp on Saturday, woke up with his left arm swollen up to his neck. He had a Dr.s appointment for 8AM, so the Dr sent Jeremy to his other Dr and the receptionist drove Jeremy to St Vincent's Hosp.
He had a blood clot in his Carotid Artery. His DW is on her way to the hosp now and will keep me informed. He also was not over his blood disease. I have no phone #s now, but will keep you posted.
Bonnie, you didn't cuss that owl did you?
S
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9315038

Im praying so hard for Jeremy. Thank goodness for the receptionist. What a miracle that clot didnt let loose before they found it.

I found an owl feather in my garage the other day and have been on a lookout for it. No spotting it so far. Just seemed so odd to be in the garage.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9315177

So sorry to read about Jeremy. I had the pleasure of meeting him when he participated in the garden festival in Gainesville. What a delightful informed person he is and shared his knowledge with me so kindly regarding plants other vendors had that I was not familiar with.. Get well soon.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2012 2:23 PM
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9315714

Sydney,
Good Lord Jeremy is having a time of it. Please keep us informed. Will keep him in prayers.
Can't remember if I cussed that owl but I know I wasn't happy.

Hope we get some rain out of hurricane Sandy. We can always use it.
Happy gardening all.
Bonnie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9315955

Jeremy has been through the mill already and doesn't deserve all of this. Praying for him.
mistressgardenr
Jacksonville, FL

October 26, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9316095

I am keeping Jeremy in my prayers. Hope he is home recuperating soon
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9316171

He's only begun. They postponed his Chemo and Radiation for 2 weeks. They put him on Cumadin to dissolve the blood clot. Just a low dose of D-Con for those who don't know.
His DW called this morning and ask for a ride to St Vincents to take him papers he needed. She was then going to the ER herself as she sounded like 2nd day of a heavy cold/flu. As I was getting dressed her sister showed up. I was planning on wearing a face mask if I took her. But the sister saved me that jaunt.
I will call him later.
At that time I'll relay all of your prayers.
Sidney
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9316411

Sidney, please give Jeremy & Christine my love & prayers. Sending everything good I have headed their way. Have just now read about all of this having been MIA for about 10 days.
Ann

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9316730

Sidney tell him I am praying for them.

Sandy
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9316934

As most of you know on Wed morning he was checked in to St Vincent with his left arm swollen up to his neck.
He was diagnosed wit a blood clot in his carotid artery.
They started giving him coumadin to dissolve the blood clot. (coumadin a very weak solution of the main ingredient in D-Con)
Now his soft tumor is bleeding so he's not coming home today as he had hoped.
His dark chocolate is running low so I will be taking him some during the Dawg/Gator game downtown.
I will bring him home when time comes they release him.
I will certainly give him all your love and prayers.
Sidney
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9317342

Jeremy is in room 4210 at Saint Vincents here in Jax.
I took him 2 packages of those Special Dark Bliss candy.
He is rather stir crazy.
Other than wonderful Dark Chocolate, Crossword Puzzles he doesn't need much.
I ask about Sudoku, he said "I don't do numbers."
He looked really good and doesn't see any reason for him staying there.
They have taken him off of everything because of the bleeding.
He says if they aren't doctoring him he sees no reason to keep him there.
Coumadin is a delicate balancing act and all we can really do is pray and be here.
I don't recommend mailing anything right now. After recent lay up myself I can attest to how hard it is to actually get it.
I am going South on November 7 or 8. He believes he can get rides thru our local JTA.
If you want to mail him something I'll find his home address for you. Many of you have been there.
S
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9317350

Would greatly appreciate his home address. We could all send get well cards and some dark choc.
Thanks so much for your keeping us informed.
Bonnie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9317490

Sorry Bonnie, I just didn't know it . He said it was in the extra addresses here at DG.
Jeremy Lucas
240 W 60th
Jax., Florida 32208
They are moving him to the cancer unit tonight or in the morning.
Cancer Surgeons don't have privileges at this hosp., so they are bring him a new oncologist.
He still wants to go home.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9318161

Such a sad turn of events for him, gosh will continue with prayers for healing. I'm sure he does want to go home after such a long time there. Hope his wife is doing better also.

Jan
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9318292

It would be great tho if they could get that surgery done while he is there. One less trip back. Still praying for him as well.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9318362

Thanks much Sidney.
tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9318800

Lifting Jeremy up in prayer this morning. I don't really "know" Jeremy, but I can say certainly benefited and enjoyed gleaning knowledge from his posts and responses. God Bless him with Your healing powers and empower his doctors with Your Grace.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9318836

Amen my friend, on this beautiful FL morning.

It is so dry here, I hope they have had some rain in Jax., so when he comes home, his plants will be in good shape. Well, that is if the city has left them.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9318863

Jeremy has been moved to room 3219 at St. Vincents. His phone number is 904-308-3219.
He also started bleeding out of his port that had been installed on his chest. They will be removing that now. He has a new Oncologist at St.V.
Well, I meant to post this yesterday and got pulled away from the computer.
He actually may come home tonight. They want him to take a daily injectable antibiotic that cost $1,000 a shot home with him.
He doesn't know if the insurance will go along with that.
In the first place the cost of a shot like that is plain vulgar. No shot should ever cost that much. MHO
Sidney
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9318900

WHAT...thats immoral

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9318903

Sidney, thanks for the update on Jeremy's condition. Something is wrong with those medical costs. $1000 for an injection... it's just plain obscene. I doubt the insurance will be too pleased with that prospect. Positive vibes going his way.

We, too, are feeling the pinch here after that flesh-eating infection emergency surgery I underwent 4 or 5 months ago. I was in the hospital for 4 full weeks ($$$$$). When they discharged me, a nurse charged $75/visit to look at my wound while the wound vac was still installed. Luckily the wound vac and its supplies were provided by the hospital and passed on to my bill. The nurse spent 15 minutes here 3 or 4 times/week. That works out at $300/hour for her company. She earned far less than that, but her agency pocketed the rest.

I was in the wrong business all my life! Here I was banging my head against the wall and doing budget management for the Canadian government and I was only earning 1/10 that amount. Then, she decided I didn't need her services anymore. My case was relegated to a wound care clinic. That costs $300 each time I go there, to have a nurse change the dressing, measure the wound and take pictures of it. Hey, I tend my wound 3 or 4 times a day. I own a measuring tape and I'm quite handy with a digital camera. I can do all that myself. I have another appointment in a week. I'll cancel it. I'll look at it myself, measure it myself and take a picture of it myself. Then, I'll write myself a check for $300 and move on.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9319495

Just tried to call and could not get Jeremy. Hope he got to go home as he wished. I wish I 'knew' jax. Maybe they would have a market that delivers.

Sylvain...take care, sounds like the wound care clinic is at least getting close to 'recovery'

Sidney, I too thank for the update, and have a good trip.

As florida gardening goes, its so dry here I dont have a chance of watering enough to wet the ground. Everything so wilted. At least the last few days have been beautiful. Hope that is a good sign for all.
orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9319549

Hope Jeremy gets through this, without his blood pressure sky-rocketing because of those obscene medical costs. He has been through so much, so pray that all the blessings come his way.
orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9319648

Hope Jeremy gets through this, without his blood pressure sky-rocketing because of those obscene medical costs.   He has been through so much, so pray that all the blessings come his way.

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9321040

I thought I had sent this last night.
Jeremy is home. The insurance is paying for his high $ shots. He says he will pull his IV rig along as he works in the garden. He needs to stay out of the dirt.
Sylvain, I understand. I have Medicare, a great supplement, and I cancelled an appointment with a Urology Surgeon. Just because my NP ordered the test, doesn't mean she can't explain this to me. I love Nurse Practitioners. They take more time to explain things. I do not believe I need a specialist to tell me I need a surgery that's marginally necessary.
Sidney
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9321043

Excellent, thanks for the update.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9321339

Jeremy is home and his insurance will cover the injections. Tells me he's going to haul his IV rig around the yard so he can play outside. So hope he gets internet reinstalled soon. He doesn't need to play in the dirt right now!
He needs to stay low and rest.

My friend from NC recently lost her significant other from his liver did something. But he was in pain for 6 months and would not go to the Dr. She saw a sign that said "Most men die from stubbornness than anything else."

He just called me and ask I come out to Lowe's at the airport and pick him up so he could buy a 5 gallon Lady Margret Passion Vine that I think already covers half his yard. He's jones-ing really bad. I also told him I would not buy him one later either.
So if someone want's to spoil him, there's a hint.
Sidney

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9321359

how did he get to lowes with an iv bottle. Mercy mercy me.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9327449

You have to realize he is extremely hard headed.
OK, If you don't have FB you may not know how Jeremy is about to have his yard plowed thru by a bush hog.
Ms Gracie and I are planning an inspired instantaneous work afternoon this coming Saturday. We plan on invading his yard about 1 pm. Bring some finger food to share. We will try to shape up his place to meet the city's requirements.
Jeremy has brought us some wonderful information and entertainment here and we just thought since Gracie and Peter were coming to help we would extend the information to y'all.
Sidney
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9327638

I cant drive, but I would be willing to pitch in some cash if getting some kind of yard men/service over there would help. Dmail me if I can help in that way.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9327655

sorry I can not help, body will not allow it. I have to have yard guys to do mine now

Sandy
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9327809

We will do with what we have, so don't feel bad because you can't help. I just mentioned it here in case the more nimble could come if they want.
I took Jeremy to an appointment yesterday, IV and all. They make them very portable now.
Sidney

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 8, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9327851

Thanks for keeping us informed of Jeremy's goings-on. Were I closer to Jacksonville, I would gladly join you on Saturday afternoon, but I won't be there. Say Hi for me and if he runs out of dark chocolate, please D-mail and let me know. There have been days when 86% cocoa, very dark chocolate was the only thing holding me together. If it can help Jeremy, I'll gladly make arrangements.

Take care.
Sylvain.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9327872

Sidney there is a mint that helps with some of the side effects of the treatments he will have to go through.
If you think he eat them I would gladly order him some. They taste great---I know because I eat!!! LOL

Sandy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9328333

Sylvain, Im looking for some dark chocolate for my Dad. Would you mind passing along the name of your favorite.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9328396

I can tell you mine--Lindt Lindor Truffles Dark Chocolate!!!!!!!

Sandy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9328587

Thanks...do you just get it at the drugstore or grocery

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9328600

You can buy it online at http://www.angelmint.com/products-page/angel-mints/angel-mint-bag-1lb/
I usually buy the small size.
I also can get it at one of the candy stores in the old part of St Augustine. If you add in gas and the large size price it is just as cheap on line.
They have even shipped some to a friend up in Canada for me and the shipping was not bad

Read this link to see all of the benefits of peppermint
http://www.angelmint.com/our-candy/angel-mints/palliative-therapy/

Sandy

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 9, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9328762

Ah, chocolate; be it white, milk, dark or VERY dark, it's all exquisite, specially when it elegantly melts on your fingers while you are holding a piece of it. If it doesn't melt on your fingers, it's just not worth eating. Now, for my favorites.

From Belgium: Daskalidès, Godiva, or Léonidas. I am partial to Belgian chocolate.
From Italy: Perugina
From Switzerland: Suchart

From Walgreen's: Girardelli 86% cocoa, which falls in the VERY dark category.

Lindt makes a glorious chili pepper and dark chocolate bar with a delightful zing of capseicin to accompany the dark chocolate. Gotta love that.

Let's all endeavor to save the planet Earth, because it's the only place in the universe that has chocolate. Sadly, there is currently a virus attacking the cocoa vines that threatens to drive the price of chocolate beyond that of champagne in 20 years, or so. I'll eat I can until it becomes unaffordable. I can give up champagne, but not chocolate; let's be realistic here.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9328802

Gotta love you guys.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9328823

Got me on the mints. Altho I have head and heart issues, its the 'gut' that really gives me a fit. These sound like they are worth a try. I always thought the mint would give me heartburn. We shall see. Loved the Dr. bag, but just went for the plain packaged ones, got a chocolate one too.
Now, off to research the dark chocolates for my dad.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9328863

Hershey has actually started making a Special Dark that is pretty good and very inexpensive. Everything mentioned here with exception of Sylvain's and the mint are available at Walmart.
Sugar

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9328878

Be warned that Angle Mints are addictive!!!! LOL

Sandy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9330304

Alrighty, Ive got a lindt lindor extra dark truffle Ive been working on for what will be the third day now. WOW now there is some chocolate.
It will take me another few days just to get thru this one ball and the package says a serving is three balls.
I got the ghirardelli intense dark 'hazelnut heaven', the 'dark and mint' and the 'dark and sea salt caramel. Also the Lindt excellence 'chili'

Not being a chocolate lover this has been a real experience. I like that the bars and squares are thin. A little bit will do it.
I didnt not like a one, altho if you dont go for salty and sweet I would stay away from the sea salt caramel. Altho it ended up my favorite, I almost spit the first bite out. Well heck, I dont need to critiques them to you guys, your the ones who told Me about them. Chili...yum

Altho they are bitter, no getting around that, I actually like a little bite better than milk chocolate I think. O dear, I just had to have a bit of the mint squares to 'refresh' my memory.

Beautiful day, happy gardening or just sitting outside.
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9330308

Try eating dark chocolate with a bowl of warm popcorn. YUM!
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9330314

i was just looking through the forums and had to suggest Mounds cupcakes! i love Mounds candy bars - the coconut covered in dark chocolate - so i cut them into smaller pieces and dropped them into some regular box Devil's Food cupcakes. i tried this using homemade "mounds" but it didn't work too well.
:)

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9330341

Gardenglory LOL!!!!!

And both of those sound good also

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9330538

I needed to visit Walgreen's this afternoon. I always make it a point to walk down the chocolate and candy aisle. To my surprise, there were a few bars of Godiva 72% cacao very dark chocolate. That's not kiddy stuff, nor is it your grandmother's chocolate. It was all I could do for my knees not to buckle under me: Godiva at Walgreen's! Over my head, I could hear angels singing in the air. I bought the 3 bars they had.

Now, had it been Leonidas chocolate, I would have fallen to my knees. Had i found Daskalides, I may have fainted. Hi, everyone. My name is Sylvain and I am a chocolate addict And the group answers: Hi, Sylvain. Addictions are not laughihg matters and far be it from me to make light of anyone as addicted as I am.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9330665

[quote="lourspolaire"]I needed to visit Walgreen's this afternoon. I always make it a point to walk down the chocolate and candy aisle. To my surprise, there were a few bars of Godiva 72% cacao very dark chocolate. That's not kiddy stuff, nor is it your grandmother's chocolate. It was all I could do for my knees not to buckle under me: Godiva at Walgreen's! Over my head, I could hear angels singing in the air. I bought the 3 bars they had.

Now, had it been Leonidas chocolate, I would have fallen to my knees. Had i found Daskalides, I may have fainted. Hi, everyone. My name is Sylvain and I am a chocolate addict And the group answers: Hi, Sylvain. Addictions are not laughihg matters and far be it from me to make light of anyone as addicted as I am.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.[/quote]

Godiva 72% cocoa very dark chocolate ~~~~~ Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. The only chocolate worth eating is dark chocolate & the darker the better!

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9331294

Dagoba organic chocolate has made its way here. 74% cocoa. Talk about not kiddy stuff. I have to take a bite of it and then a bite with the mint or carmel. Got a lavender and blueberry dark chocolate as well.
O yea, this stuff is bitter,...still need a bit of time to warm up to this healthy treat if eaten 'straight'. Glad I didnt go for the 86% or 90%
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9332385

We are getting some much needed rain for the 3rd time this week.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9332412

You have no idea Jean, Im beyond excited. We have had NO rain, until tonight and its actually raining enough to get water out of the gutter. It could do this for days straight and it would just wet this sand. I am totally grateful for anything tho. The azealas and camellis were not likeing this dry spell at all.

Picked some of my meyer lemons today and dont have a clue what to do with them. I guess google will be my next stop.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9332492

Juice then and freeze the juice; freeze them whole; eat them!!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9332786

Oh Pam, make a pie...they are absolutely wonderful for lemon pies, tarts and just use in cooking. I am hoping to get a couple when I go see my mom Thanksgiving.

Send the rain please!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9332839

I dont think we got as much a others, but wow could we have used anything. Even the pool water is below the tiles, but Im not going to pay GRU to fill it. Waiting on mother nature to pitch in some more.
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9334165

From Jeremy's facebook page:

Jeremy Wayne Lucas 3:10pm Nov 15
Well, the city was once again on my doorstep this morning with bush hog and weed wacker crew. I managed to forestall too much destruction by a quick run in to the Mayor's office on the way to chemo treatment to drop off a hand-scribbled letter of intent to file legal action, and made phone calls to attorneys in the city General Counsel as well as speaking directly with supervisors from Code Enforcement. Each time I speak to them, I am more and more convinced they haven't the slightest inkling of the intent and implications of the Florida Friendly Landscape Law. It is such an aggravation to have to deal with this at a time when I have the least time, energy and physical strength. It may be best for me to proceed with a law suit to settle my claim and establish the legitimacy of the Florida Friendly Landscape Law once and for all. I'm sure there would be oodles of environmentally-oriented groups and even state and local environmental government agencies that would file amicus briefs on my behalf. Feel free to share any and all info with folks at DG and ATP. Let them know I will check in and provide some updates myself when the hounds are no longer snarling and scratching at my door! Thanks for your continuing friendship and encouragement!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9334193

I dont do facebook, but please tell Jeremy I send my best and let us know if he needs anything we can send along to him. Thanks for letting us know.
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9334321

I don't do FB either. This was copied & pasted from a posting someone who DOES do FB made elsewhere.

Jeremy did state, "Feel free to share any and all info with folks at DG and ATP." And so I was doing just that.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 16, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9334475

Rain--aren't all of you so lucky! Cloudy here today and I'm keeping my finger crossed!
Freeze meyer lemons WHOLE!!! How wonderful--my hands thank you!!!
Was on a plant hunt yesterday--found some great black bamboo in , I think 50 or 100 gallon containers, and they wouldn't sell it as a friend was growing it there for his house. Hit several other wholesalers, but no luck. Did find great gardenias for $18.50 just goes to show what the markup really is. Diamonds are nice but riding around they wholesalers yards is the most wonderful thing in the world. If only--I had more space and better dirt!! Found a mast tree as well--too pricey! Am going to continue to look for the black in LARGE containers--need to block the back neighbors.
What DOES Jeremy's yard look like?
Debi
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9334488

I recently read an article on the health benefits of lemons. There are more nutrients in the skins than inside. The recommend freezing lemons whole and then putting some zest in almost everything you cook.

You can also put the zest in good olive oil for some wonderful flavoring.

And there is always homemade lemoncello!!!!!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9334504

I like lemoncello but I have no wish to make wine. LOL

Debi Jeremy's huge yard is a jungle of plants.

Sandy
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9334509

I would be very careful and research the black bamboo variety before jumping in. That stuff can be more invasive than regular running bamboo. However there are several black clumping varieties that are outstanding, one is called Lako.

Epicurious has several pages of meyer lemon recipes. I usually make the marmalade, it makes a great gift in a pretty jar. A friend makes the preserved lemons and swears they are wonderful.
http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?search=Meyer+Lemons&x=0&y=0

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9334525

I knew I wanted to use the lemon zest so I never sprayed the bush. It looks like it, a total mess, but the lemons are perfect. Nary a blemish.

Im going to freeze some whole and see how that goes, but I for sure want to make the marmalade. Do you make the one with the vanilla or the one without? They both seem to get great reviews.

I wish Jeremy would not get so upset over the bush hog, altho we all know where he is coming from. We all have enough to get him up and running again, and maybe a new yard for a fresh start after the chemo wouldnt be that bad after all. Im afraid he is going to get himself so upset it isnt going to matter about the yard, as he wont know it anyway. Its certainly a principle thing with him and those are the hardest to 'shake'. I think the plants are secondary. I wish he would put his health first, but maybe thats selfish of me, it is his life after all.

bamboo...yes, I second the research, that stuff can take over and its nigh on impossible to dig up or get out.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9334552

I make the regular marmalade but I might try the vanilla this year, it looks so pretty in that picture.

Poor Jeremy, you are correct, everyone on DG would contribute a plant or two for him. He is an icon here.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9335661

Jeremy's dream is to have one of every kind of plant there is. He hates to mow. Some things are impossible. Like making a snowman in Miami. I think until he gets in there with someone to show the "good" plants to and lets someone weed eat around them one by one. Just getting the high overgrowth under control would be a significant improvement.
A new garden is "out of question". He could save a few areas and let them bush hog the rest. Many plants will come back from the roots and keeping the area around them clean will showcase them.
They will also charge Jeremy for the work.
I'll see if I can get someone to talk to the Mayor also. I worked for his election, but from afar. A friend can just say her first name and he says "Come on in". I don't know if she'll do it, but can ask.
He's out in the yard working this morning. I would go help, but look like I'm drunk when I walk on a smooth ground. I would be afraid to fall because there are some art out there from broken mirrors and they have to be overgrown by now.
I too have the same plant hoarder tendencies and used to be very bad about curb side shopping for things with "potential". I no longer do that because unless you have a really sparse and immaculate home, "shabby/chic" just looks shabby. So if I see something too good I call someone or just give it my blessing
I had a beautiful deck in Okeechobee when I took my 9' step to the ground and broke my back. A really super DG gal from Stuart or Jupiter drove over to Okee and took 90% of my plants back to her house.
I had a coleus grower send me some beautiful long cuttings recently. I just could not handle the rooting trays bags of soil, etc. So I just accepted that I can't do like I used to. I have to prune my "growing habits" so I can enjoy them instead of them owning me.
I have all the materials to do automatic watering system on my deck. After the first of the year I'll hire or bribe Dale to come down and install it. Then it can go on a timer.
I am ready to let a great deal of stuff go. I want to enjoy the rest of my life not tethered to stuff.
Anyhow I do love Jeremy and wish I could wave a wand to fix his yard. Sometimes when i am faced with unsurmountable road blocks I have learned to tell myself. "It's the best thing that can happen."
Sidney

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9335684

I forgot to post this copy of a good lemon pie. Uses lemon rind and all. Simple and good

Shaker Lemon Pie

Original recipe makes 1 - 9 inch pie

2 lemons, thinly sliced

2 cups white sugar

4 eggs, beaten

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

Directions

Slice the lemons and combine in a large bowl with the 2 cups sugar. Let stand for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Add the beaten eggs and mix well. Pour into an unbaked 9 inch piecrust and cover with a top crust.
Brush the top with milk and sprinkle granulated sugar on top.
Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the pie comes out clean.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9335728

Sidney I know what you mean. I have to have others do the work now

Sandy
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9335761

Hi All,
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

Went to a nursery that is closing and everything is 1/2 price. Bought 150 pots of aztec grass and bordered 2 of my flower beds. Got 100 of them planted today. Will use some for pot spillers.
Also got a camelia, tibochina and alamanda. Will keep tibochina in pot for winter as they are very cold sensitive. Had one about 7 feet high before but lost it during a freeze even tho I blanketed it.

My Hawaii sunset vine is loaded with buds and I'm not patiently waiting for blooms. Should this be taken inside for the winter?? It grew very fast. I've only had it about 2 mos. and its way over 10 feet. I have potted it in case it needs to come inside during a cold spell. Hope it blooms before cold hits.
Happy gardening all.
Bonnie

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 18, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9336145

My Hawaiian sunset is loaded with blooms as well. During a cold spell here two years ago, it lost every leaf and then came back with a vengeance. When I want to get rid of any frustration, I hack on the the *&^%$ vine til I have a huge pile for the boys to take away. The red passion vine has also grown like topsy!--One of the dogs got tangled in it and the awabuki(sp) so we hacked away at that.
Went to a plant sale at the Naples Botanical Garden yesterday and got some goodies: finally my mast tree !!! and several anthuriums as well as a matchstick bromeliad for the neighbor who lovingly watches over the yard when we are away. The nursery they came from is in Ft Lauderdale and I 'm planning a road trip the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. They have Vietnamese gardenias--anyone have any experience with those?
So off to hack away at the sand pit! I have a feeling that we may not be able to dig a big enough hole for the tree--thank goodness for the boys!
Happy Sunday!
Debi
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9336157

My Hibiscus are all blooming like crazy. Odd that they are preferring these cooler temps. And the Lantana - so overgrown and full of butterflies.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9341799

Where the devil did this COLD weather come from. Blindsided me. I missed this all together. Guess I ate to much. Hopefully you farther north of me were 'on' to it.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 25, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9341949

Yes, Pam, we were "on" to it. Not sure what the low was last night but it was cold!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9342063

Actually last nite was 5 deg warmer than the nite before over here. Still staying a few deg above 40. Supposed to be warmer going thru the week. Plants will stay inside.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9342786

I was just checking out some cyber monday stuff, came across the Cushmans/Harry and David fruit offerings. I about passed out, and still cant wrap my mind around the fact that they are offering a meyer lemon tree or a key lime tree for 69.99 plus shipping and its only in a 6" pot. I believe even gold is cheaper. Thats just nuts.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9343836

77 and mostly sunny. This is indeed my idea of what Winter should be like!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9343963

57 dreary and raining. However, the driveway is beautiful covered in red, gold and burgundy leaves. Just have to be very careful as they are so slippery.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9344039

80 and sunny all day. Sure could use a little rain but I have irrigation set on timer so no sweat.
Still waiting for my Hawaiian sunset vine to burst into bloom. Just loaded with buds. If this warmth keeps up I'm sure they will bloom before frost. First year I've had one and I'm excited.
Bonnie
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9344549

54 this morning and still dreary looking outside. They say the rain is over but I am not so sure.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9344576

We havent got a drop,,,nary a one. Even my big camellias are drooping and thats saying alot. had some azealas I was going to move this morning but thin Im going to have to pass.

Hope to see a picture from that HS vine
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9344888

Hi, all. I've just finished up my last salvo of letters to the Mayor's Office regarding the heinous and unjustified destruction of my gardens. I am determined now to take the case to court (if I can find an attorney that will do a contingency basis). Later, I will list more of the specific indignities done to me and my gardens.

Only 10 minutes before the library closes, and then I go to catch the city bus home. Now you will all get to see just how fast I can type.!! LOL

Thanks HUGELY for all your concern, prayers, well-wishes, meditations and offers to assist!! It is great to have such a wonderful covey of friends. I am going Monday - Friday to radiation oncology treatments. I've had one round of the chemotherapy (yuck, no fun at all!) that consists of a portable pump that runs 24/7 for one week. I have one more week of chemo coming up in mid-December. The radiation will continue to the end of the year.

Great news is that the cancer seems to be dying!

Just got the 2-minute warning, so better hit send before the library comp logs me off involuntarily!

Love you all!

Jeremy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9344935

O sorry I missed you/ him. Glad to hear the good news about your cancer.

Does this mean the city did cut down all his stuff???
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9345023

Jeremy, your gardens can be replaced but YOU can not. I am so thankful to read the cancer seems to be dying! Overjoyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Continuing to send positive vibes.

Keep yer chin up.

Ann
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9345616

Thanks, all! flaflwrgrl - the city Code Compliance contracted-work order "landscape" crew seemed to have limited their destruction to a brutal pruning (that word can't really apply -- more like hacking and slashing) of my front curb hedges (Japanese Yew with intertwined noisette roses and various vines), and following my established garden paths to weed-wack away low-growing "weeds." The crew was mostly interested in finding every piece of aluminum available in my yard that they could resell for personal profit -- the 75' x 5' heavy-duty aluminum outer wall of an above-ground pool I planned to install once the site was ready and I had the required city permit, along with the two 55 gal bags of crushed aluminum cans that Christina and I had collected from our neighborhood while walking our dog -- to resell at some point for a few extra dollars to add to our limited budget, plus aluminum sheeting that I had carefully cut and tied into rolls to use as barriers around plants that tend to spread excessively. So, it seems the allure of stealing our aluminum was more interesting to the work crew than any further mangling and destruction of my plants. They seized the aluminum under the guise of it being "trash" -- unfortunately for them, the city ordinance doesn't define "trash," so it falls to the dictionary definition of "items without value, debris, etc." So, I definitely have a claim for illegal seizure of personal property for the court case which I am determined to file.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9347960

What a glorious day to be in FL. Weather was just perfect for putzing outside. Tried to do some watering but its just overwhelming its been to dry for to long. Went to home depot to get some fertilizer and the smell of the season was in the air. My nose took me out to where they were cutting the Christmas trees. Nothing like it, people all lined up waiting to get theirs cut, all decked out in their shorts and tube tops.
Went to the bird seed store to get some seed and the owner also has a citrus business. To my surprise, the navels and ruby reds were delicious. Owner said even though its been dry, it was rainy at the right time...w/e...they were juicy and sweet...love fresh citrus.

Jeremy, post if you need chocolate. I was asking about it on an earlier post to see what you like and darned if I havent become an addict.
OOO and those angel mints...delish.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2012 6:20 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9348404

Sure, rub it in!!! Still way too cold for me here in MA. They promise sun but I've yet to see it. And I know my yard in FL NEEDS me!!!!

All the "smells of the season" do is make me sneeze.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9348407

The pines do me in in the spring when they bloom, but just love the smell of a fresh cut pine tree of any kind. FL is waiting for you to have a safe trip home. Looks a bit cloudy today, we will see in an hour or so.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9349800

GGlory - I am a man forever in need of chocolate! LOL I like dark chocolate best (but not the 70% - 90% pure cocoa of some of the bars). Not really a connoisseur of dark chocolate, so just about any sort of dark chocolate (even dark chocolate baking chips) do fine for me.

Lowe's and Home Depot (depending on management policies) will sometimes allow me to take the cut off bottom branches of Christmas trees. Bringing the branches home and placing them around the stair rails, etc., allows our house to have the aroma of Christmas without the need to decorate a full tree.

Saw a pain management doc today as per referral from my insurance company and at the request of my radiation oncologist. I got the feeling that the doc was more suited to the 1-800-ASK-GARY type law suit patients for providing pain management, but he did renew the prescription for Percocet and also added some pain reducing skin patches to the prescriptions. The radiation oncologist wanted one doctor to provide pain management to best meet my needs and also prevent the pharmacists and state regulators from suspecting I was doc shopping for pain relievers to sell on the black market. I am jumping up about every hour on the hour each night to make bowel movement jaunts to the bathroom, so I am not getting much sleep. I am hoping I can get my diet regulated to end that problem. I will hopefully get to see a nutritionist within the next few days to assist with selecting the right foods for Goldilocks-type stools: not too soft, not too hard, but just right, to pass by the cancer without the absolute agony of constipation nor the incessant loose as a goose non-stop diarrhea.

The city Code Enforcement currently seems to be at bay for wanting to mow down my gardens, but I don't know from day to day whether I will wake up to the sound of the Neat Squad Gestapo pounding on my door, followed by the whirring of weed-wackers and the Sherman marching from Atlanta roar of the bush hogs. I sent a letter to Mayor/Office of General Counsel noting the Florida state rules/laws that the Code Enforcement had violated. I was especially thrilled to point out that Code Enforcement had destroyed the habitat of my Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis), a threatened/protected plant species in Florida to which a law applies for anyone that destroys the plant on private property without the owner's permission. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I just hope they don't show up again, as promised, to finish the "abatement."

Jeremy
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9349923

Watch the pines around Easter time. The top forms a cross. You may know this but I didn't until a friend ponted this out to me.
Qulter coming from Conn. I know what the skys look like up there this time of year. Dreary. Come back to the sunshine.
Gardenglory: Every morning that I get up and look out my bedrm. window and see my plants and the sunshine I am thankful. Such a beautiful site.
It has been so warm I am still able to feed my koi. Water temp today was 65. I don't stop feeding until water gets below 50. They are happy and healthy (right now).
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9354826

A brief check-in to use the library computers. Not feeling too strong today after a night without much good sleep. The morphine pain patches are doing great to handle the pain around the clock, but are contributing to painful constipation (despite smoothies containing Miralax/Metacmucil and eating not much more than soup for most meals). Things would be going better if I could just get my innards balanced.

The city seems to be leaving me alone (temporarily) after receiving my letters stating they can expect a law suit. I also entreated for a little concern and compassion during this time when I am dealing with cancer by requesting the issues be placed temporarily in abeyance. But, I still don't know from morning to morning whether the neatness police gestapo will be banging on my door, followed by the horrible sounds of bush hogs and weed wackers set upon destruction of my gardens.

It irks me that I can't get more done currently with all the health concerns, but I'm hoping to be back to fighting strength soon and ready to take on all the inequities of the city code enforcement.

Jeremy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9354828

HI there... hope you see this. Hang in there. Finally raining here!!!!!!!!!!!. Got some chocolate to mail tomorrow, dont know how it will effect the tummy tho. Let me know which you like. I will concentrate on that kind of flavor the next time.

Keep up the fight on the health front. Plants can be replaced...people cant

pam

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9354929

Jeremy I need to get some of these mints to you, d-mail me your address and I will mail them.

Sandy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9354986

I ate my first order of mints. Seems they would make his stomach feel better. If nothing else they are delicious.

I was using Jeremys address in the addy exchange. Hope its right.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2012 6:49 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9355742

GREAT rain last nite. Today I helped a friend clean out an overgrown bed and I came home with all her unwanted plants. I got the couple bare rooted ones in the ground. The rest will have to wait for tomorrow (or the next non-rainy day).
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9355761

That rain was such a blessing. We needed it so so badly. Was it ever warm today tho, and humid. I had to turn on the A/C.
Maybe that is why I have yet to buy a Christmas gift. ;-o
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9356262

Pam - Have you tried the Lily Chocolates? They carry them at Mother Earth Market in Gainesville. They are sweetened with Stevia so less calories & natural ingredients. I'm heading to Whole Foods tomorrow & plan to try some.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9356266

No, but Ill sure check it out. Thats where I go to get my black kale, and a few other things. Im so trying to get off sugar as much as possible and now that I have this new found love of dark chocolate, its not helping. Ive just never liked chocolate, since they say a little is good for you, thats why I tried it in the first place.

Do you happen to have a osmanthus/tea olive in your yard. The air is just full of their heavenly scent. I cant get enough. They 'bloom' all winter, altho the bloom is so small you dont notice it, except with your nose.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9356306

We are having our second day of a slow steady rain. Sure will help with the water bill this month.
Pam, I had 2 Tea Olives here when we moved in but they never bloomed. Last year I had them removed to make place for some carpet roses...doing really well.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9356343

No Olive tree here but it sounds lovely.

We are down to just a sprinkle right now but more rain to come. I need to run out & get some paint.

This rain will be great for my new plants.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9356370

Still raining and 46 degrees. Beautiful day!!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9356600

We've had fairly steady rain the past few days, including today. It is certainly a relief to not have to worry about watering the gardens, and the rain will hopefully help revive some plants that were in pots and got fairly dry during my last hospital stay a few weeks ago.

GGlory & Sandy -- thanks greatly for the dark chocolate and mints! I can sure use a bit of sweetness in my life right now, as you can tell from the following post that I've made on Facebook, to my church group, and to other friends. If anyone can help out, it will be greatly appreciated, but I know how tough it is to get away at this time of year (and I certainly know that if I have a free moment and sufficient energy, I want to spend it in my own garden and not cleaning up the mess of someone else! LOL)

Despite all my best efforts, it seems the City Division of Code Compliance is still determined to come “abate” my property of allegations of “untended weeds” and “trash, rubbish, etc.”. The yard maintenance crews that plan to submit a bid to do the work have been snooping over our perimeter fence the past few days, so another (the 4th!) invasion of my property will likely be happening soon.
If you or your friends or community groups can spare any amount of time this weekend (Saturday 12/15 or Sunday 12/16) from about 10 AM to sundown either day, to come by and assist with a last attempt at a Sherman’s march-type clearing swath cleanup of my yard before the city returns to destroy my plants and haul off my stuff, it will be much appreciated.
Despite my current somewhat weakened condition from the battle with cancer, I will be outside (regardless of weather), doing what I can to try to satisfy the ambiguous demands of Code Compliance. Any help I can get will go a long way toward saving my botanical gardens and retaining my building supplies for projects waiting to happen.
I will be contacting my nearby neighbors, church congregants, and anyone I think may be able to help to drop by when and if time and energy permits.
I am at 240 W 60th Street, and can be reached at (904) 444-4121. But there is no need to confirm or contact me, just show up when and if you can.
If the city work crews come before Saturday, this will be a moot point and I will let you know if it is too late to save my plants and stuff.
Thanks! Jerermy

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9356880

We are getting rain also which is great. It has shorted out my manger scene and all connected lights but maybe when it dries out it will come back on. Takes us 2 days to get it all put up but I feel it is worth it to stress the true meaning of Christmas.

I have lots of plants budded out due to this warm weather. We are supposed to get a little cooler soon and then comes March and pruning time and clean up. The joys of gardening.

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9360838

THANKS! GardenGlory for the huge box of very delicious dark chocolate! It was truly an amazingly generous gesture and is much appreciated. I had my 2nd (and LAST!) chemo treatment this past weekend. I ran into a problem with the 24/7 automatic chemo pump getting a backwash of blood, so I had to get in touch with the doc on call and he sent me to the ER on Sunday to have the pump cleared. As it turned out, the docs at the hospital decided just to pull out the pin from my chest port. I was concerned when I went to the scheduled appointment to have the chemo pump removed at the cancer center today that they would want to hook me up again for whatever portion of the chemo medicine I missed between Sunday morning about 2 AM and Noon today, but the nurses were satisfied that I had gotten enough of the chemicals. Whew! Big relief! Because the chemo does truly kick my butt with upsetting my stomach and grinding my innards into knots. The radiation therapy still doesn't bother me much. Only about 6 more radiation treatments scheduled and hopefully this will all be behind me!

I weighed in at 175 lbs today (down from about 220 to start with). I haven't been this thin since I was 18 years old and taking dance/ballet/stage movement classes in drama school in the late 1960s! I wanted to lose weight, but would have preferred a good diet and exercise plan rather than having the pounds shaved off due to cancer. Another lesson in, "Be careful what you ask for!" ?? LOL

Jeremy
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9361742

Perhaps the chocolate was exactly what you needed then! :)
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9361779

I know Jeremy is bummed about the whole yard thing, but things sometime happen, as we know, for a reason. He is now talking about getting back to his art, and writing. Gotta love the human spirit, even if we do take some drastic guidance sometimes. You know he has got to be happy about the chemo winding down.

I know its suppose to cool down, but has it not been glorious out? Sun, blue skies. Hope everyone has got a chance to just get out and enjoy.

Ive got my gardening catalogs set aside for my after Christmas 'treat' for getting thru it. Ill just be looking tho. Ive got to figure out how to have my flowers but get the yard more responsible for itself.

Does anyone have a yard with no grass...say mulch or stone paths thru the yard. Thats what Im working towards in the back yard. Front is small so no worries. Somethings got to 'give'.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9361824

As a matter of fact Pam, I do have a yard like that!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9361839

Well thats just what I need. That, and someone to do it for me ;-). I do love a nice path wandering around the camellia bushes this time of the year, when they are blooming so nice. Ive got them floating all over the house. Sure wish they had a fragrance. When you look like a Pink Perfection camellia tho, it really doesnt matter .

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9362034

My Angel Trumpet is full of buds. How cold does it have to get for it to be affected? We tend to stay ~10 warmer than what JAX airport reports so I doubt we will get below 40. Should I cover it anyway or will it be OK?

Pam - I have a lot of grass in the front yard but am working on the back being mostly garden & walkways. Just need large/spreading plants to fill the large area. Most of the "grass" out back is a low ground cover that does not require any mowing.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9362050

I have an angel trumpet that is full of buds too. Almost every year, like clockwork, it opens the day of night we are to get are first freeze. They cant take freeing at all, but can go right down to it. Mine is planted in the bed on the porch, that gives me about 5 degrees with everything else, but the AT.
Its 38 this morning here, and looking for real cold Fri. I knew it was coming, weve got way more acorns than last year and nothing predicts weather better than the amount of acorns. Sure hope its not to cold next week, as I have to leave the dog out Tuesday while we are gone. I worried last night about the feral cats I feed and if says anything about the cold, I had a raccoon up on the front porch at 7:30 looking for the cat food. I rarely see them in broad daylight, altho this one is getting rather 'tame'.

Just checked the 10 day forecast. Looks like no freeze, but 34 is coming. The AT should be fine. Looks like rain wednesday, hope if hold off till then,thats for sure.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2012 7:48 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9362059

We were at 54 this AM. Hopefully the weekend won't be much colder than that.

Tomato plants are full of blossoms & green tomatoes.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9362091

I wish this cold snap would have come before navel picking time, to sweeten them up.. Ive had a bear of a time finding good navels for my Christmas ambrosia. Im off today to check out the farmers market downtown. I take a knife with me, buy a navel and take it to the car and test it. Ive had to pass up alot. Alot are sour and a bit dry. I might just have to drive to wildwood, we shall see. For some odd reason, the stand at the plaza on the turnpike always seems to have good ones. I have thrown away everyone Ive tested from publix. I dont know here they get those big ole almost fake orange colored navels, but they are bad, really bad.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9362155

Pam are you referring to the stand on Newberry Road by I-75? Always bought veggie and fruit there...not sure where they get them but never was disappointed. I usually would get my fruit from my sisters trees but I haven't been down since September so that leaves me buying now.

It is currently 45 here now and on the nippy side. I love it!!

Speaking of camellias...does anyone have the Green's Blues? I have 3 and they are wonderful! Loaded with bloom and I am hoping Santa Kids get me more for Christmas. I would like to have a mass planting in one section of my yard. I will try to get a picture of them...open one color and slowly changes over a period of a couple of days.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9362163

Marion - those sound nice. I have 2 red camellias, both full of buds. They do make the back yard look festive. They aren't where I would have planted them but I'm afraid to try & move them so will work around them.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9362189

Jean, I just had one of mine moved. I talked with the people at the nursery about moving it and they told me what to do and that it should be okay. Of course, the one I moved is only about 5 feet tall. It is the one we planted for our first granddaughter (the originial one is still in Gainesville and was huge when I moved) is it is Pink Perfection. My son had planted the new one as a surprise for me but it wasn't in a very good location...to small an area for the size of the plant. I want to add some more, especially one for the youngest GD and the Greens Blues. The later is as close as I have seen to a purple/blue color and really is nice. Only gets about 5'tall and wide. Need to add some reds here also.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9362280

Marion, I always shopped there too, its now a Hardees :-(.
Actually, the lady ho ran it, has worked at Wards ever since they closed. And, speaking of wards, I just got back from down there. Its my favorite place to go in gainesville, bar none. I could people watch all day. Ambrosia crisis has been averted, as they had yummy, tho not that big, navels. They were excellent. They now also smoke meats daily. I got some smoked meatloaf and salmon. Just polished off the later.
Im going to have to check into the blue camellia.

Jean, camellias dont move well, especially if its at all big. I think you were smart to leave them and enjoy. That being said, Ive moved azealas that ive had to back the car up to and tie a rope and use the car to pull them out ;-O
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9362409

Hi, all. Checking in for a few minutes while having access through the library computers.

Most of our fruit and vegetables are picked before they are fully ripe, then sprayed with ethylene gas (or other types of gas) before they get to the grocery shelves. The ethylene will make the outside look ripe, but the inside is still not fully ripe. That is probably what is happening with the navel oranges. As mentioned in the posts above, about the only way to get "real" fruit and vegetables is to grow your own, find a local farmer, or buy from a reputable source that relies on local farmers.

The city was back on my door step early this morning. No police escort this time. Yesterday they had 3 cruisers, 2 with the lights flashing -- Geesh! What a waste of resources! I guess they decided Christina and I are unlikely to launch into a mad, frenzied shooting rampage. Yesterday, all they took was yard trash -- some piles of twigs and leaves from shrubbery that would have soon composted. They sawed up an old Live Oak limb that fell from a neighbor's tree a few years ago. I was letting it rot as a new planter for bromeliads. I've also found the best addition for our sandy soil is to let oak limbs and trunks rot. It makes rich, dark humus soil. You might fear termites being attracted to the rotting wood, but from what I've seen, the termites don't come. The wood is broken down first by beetles, palmetto bugs and centipedes, then the earthworms move in. Plus, the beneficial bacteria, fungi and viruses are also contributing to the composting of the wood. Today, the crew hauled away everything as "trash" that wasn't attached or inside a storage building. This included a large diatomaceous earth pool filter that I bought on Craig's List about a year ago for $85, lawn furniture, a dolphin sculpture which the crew was taking because it was broken (but it wasn't broken yesterday), all my pvc pipes for plumbing repairs and other projects, a huge amount of the black tubing needed for the micro-drip irrigation system I intended to install (have the pump parts, just never found the time and energy to get started on the installation), large planters -- just about anything that any one of us is likely to have stashed in our yard in out of the way places. I am truly ready just to walk away from it all. The house can go to foreclosure and the city can eat the thousands of dollars of liens they put on the house. A friend on Facebook suggested Costa Rica as a good destination. I will look further into that. I was previously tied to Jacksonville in order to access my health insurance benefits, but now that I am getting Social Security disability, I don't need the health insurance. As Pam mentioned, I do want to return to more artwork, sculpture and writing and give up the many diversions and distractions that I have allowed to get in the way of those activities.

I have 'Pink Perfection' camellia (and others). The grandfather of our own DG friend, BocaGinger, was the botanist that created 'Pink Perfection.' Ginger was thrilled to see it at my driveway when she and her hubby came to visit a few years ago. I've managed to propagate 'Pink Perfection' by my first attempt at air-layering. I intend to send some of the 'Pink Perfection' to Ginger to see if she can get it to grow and flower in south Florida. I'm thinking that if the camellia was placed inside a large restaurant type freezer for a few winter months, it might be induced to flower. Has anyone grown camellias in the tropical south??

Jeremy
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9363079

Taking advantage of this beautiful day to get some yard clean up done. Now I'm getting ready to assemble the portable greenhouse. THink I may need it over the weekend. Would love to keep the tomato plants going.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9363086

Well the part of the state has just been put under a tornado watch with rains moving this way. Today we are predicted to be at 78 with 58 for tomorrow...drastic change.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9363223

Got 3 trash cans of weeds & branches out for pick up today. Set up the portable greenhouse. Don't want to risk losing my tomato plants and my couple non-hardy hibiscus. It is darn warm inside that little enclosure. Will zip it closed tomorrow nite.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9363240

Currently have rain with some winds...nasty looking out.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9363245

I don't need nasty...but I DO need rain! Maybe once it gets to the central area, it will calm down a bit and just fill up the lake. I'm not ready for the temp changes, so I hope they're mild enough here that things can survive without my assistance. It's not supposed to stay chilly for too long.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9363273

Im forcing, and I mean forcing, as I SO dont want to go, but Ive got to get out to publix. I just dont want to go out in the morning when its cold. Need to get some more goody making supplies, stuff for a big weekend pot of chili. There are also some feral cats I feed up there and Im worried about them on cold and rainy nights. Wanted to get them some straw today, but could only find hay, o I hope they can find a snug place.
Saw what Jean said about the greenhouse, and just checked the weather. Mercy me. One more big job ahead tomorrow, bringing everything either on the patio or in the house. Well...here I go.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9363289

Pam, you sound like me. I guess I will be thinking about what to prepare for Christmas dinner. Just heard from my MRI and I have 3 torn ligaments. What I have always wanted for a Christmas present. NOT!!!!

Rain has passed for the moment but it is suppose to start turning colder. I think I saw where we are to be down in the low 30s either tomorrow or Saturday. Thankfully my yard man has mulched everything really good so all I can do is hope at this point. Sure won't be out trying to do anything myself.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9363350

What do they do about those ligaments. Can you get by without surgery?? It says 30 for tomorrow night, strange since I got so hot at the grocery store I had to come home and turn on the AC. Ill have the heater blasting in the a.m. AHHH florida living
Im a bit of a nervous wreck, Im not real fond of these last few days before Christmas. Everything running thru my mind on what I wish I could have done...should have done...and didnt. Thank goodness Im not a UPS worker, poor things, and then the bad weather besides.
I hear the rain starting, we sure can use it. Santa knew just the thing!
Hope Jeans tomatoes make it thru!!!! Wont be long and the rain should be to Orlando to fill that lake.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9363429

Hi everyone, sorry I have been missing. Taking pictures, studying photography and TRYING to learn how to use my new photo editing softwares!!!!!. About ready to pull out my hair.

If I do not make it back before I wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9363473

And the same to you. Glad to see you back!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9363508

If y'all could have heard me fussing all this last week,, you would have been glad I was not around.
I wish they had simple directions for us old simple minds. Spent half a day just trying to figure out how to get the pictures on the months of the calendar I wish to make.

Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #9363566

I know what you are saying Wren but my gosh, you are doing a fabulous job. Keep up the good work, I envy your dedication. It drives me crazy when I can see something and my camera can't. Well, it can, it is usually user error. LOL This morning there were lovely bands of lavender across the sky but my pictures came out rather blah.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9363784

I have a place on another thread where we talk about taking pictures. In Jan. we are going to start a study group to learn more about photography, starting with "exposure" If you are interested D-mail me in Jan and I will give you the link. Any one else interested as let me know. We want photographers of every level to take part.

Thumbnail by wren107

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9364362

I think that is wonderful you are doing photograph. Love the picture of the red rose...just beautiful.

Pam, not sure what will be done about the ligaments. Can't see the ortho doctor until the end of January. In the meantime when it is more than I can handle..I take my Vicodin and elevate it.

This message was edited Dec 22, 2012 12:44 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9364461

It is 44 here this AM.Winds yesterday seems to be blowing to the back of the house so hopefully that helped protect so of the plants out front. Now to make it thru 1 more cold nite.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9364524

We are up to 36, I knew not to bring the plants in, but it said lo of 30, do I did. Angel trumpets out in the yard are still standing tall so it for sure didnt freeze.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9364560

I don't mind the chilly weather this time of year, I just don't like the frosts and freezes. I have far too many tropicals (and too many to cover!) and hate losing them. Hopefully tonight will be a tad warmer.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9364740

Not sure where we ended up for a low last night but now it is sunny and 54. Yesterday it was just miserable to be out and about. Sticking closer to home today. So far all plants are looking good.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9365052

I am on the east side of the river and near a number of creeks, plus on a tiny "hill" so I am usually warmer that the west side of the river. No sign of damage here at all.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9365063

Already 37 on the patio, thats a bad sign, looks like it will for sure be colder here than last night. So long angel trumpets.

At least the feral kitties came by for some dinner. I leave the garage door cracked so they can come in out of the weather. They never do, but it makes me feel better, especially if it is raining with the cold.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9371490

It's been fairly cold here the past few nights -- temperatures around low 30s F. I still haven't gotten my orchids inside, but hope to do that this weekend. They so far don't seem injured by the cold, but the damage could show up later. They are over a concrete patio and under the overhanging branches of a large Live Oak, so there should be a "microclimate" condition there that should keep the temperature above freezing. 40s F is usually the lowest recommended temperature for most orchids and I usually have them inside the greenhouse by now, but there have just been too many things to deal with lately. I'm thinking about giving away all the orchids so I don't have to deal with them anymore, so if anyone may want to adopt them, let me know.

I'm finally feeling really well today! The dizziness that occurs when changing position (probably blood pressure related) is much reduced, my bowels and bladder are cooperating, no pain from the cancer, energy level is up and I am enthused by this beautiful warm clear day. It's great to feel something close to "normal" after a few months of dealing with the discomfort d' jour and just trying to drag myself through another day during the cancer treatments.

By doctor's orders, I had to skip a few recent radiation treatments due to my white blood cell count dropping below 500. I had two injections last week that are supposed to boost the bone marrow production of white blood cells. I was O.K.ed for radiation this morning, but had more labs to make sure the blood cell count is within the acceptable range. I hope there are no more blips or bumps to delay the end of this debacle. I am so looking forward to having it over and done with. There should only be about 5 - 6 more radiation treatments and then I am hoping I will be officially certified as "Cancer Free!" Where do you buy the T-shirt to proclaim that status to the world??! LOL

Due to the cancer center closing at Noon today for the holiday, I had to be up at 7:30 am and on the paratransit bus which arrived at 9:15 am, right at the start of the 30 minute pick up window. The day has gone amazingly well for other bus connections. I got over to the Riverside area of town to pick up another jar of silvadene cream to treat the remaining radiation burns in my groin area. I dropped by the downtown library to have Internet connection and check in, but first went to the men's room to slather my groin with the cream. No use delaying in getting the healing to continue. LOL

A Very Happy 365 Upcoming Days in 2013 and more to follow for all!

Jeremy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9371503

http://www.ustream.tv/SouthwestFloridaEagleCam

Gosh darn it, I missed you. Well I do wish you and everyone a better 2013 than 2012. Even if 2012 didnt 'try' you, I still wish you a better one. May all of us forget what the inside of a hospital looks like ;-)

Above is a live eagles nest in s.fl. Its ozzie and harriet, the same eagles I think we watched last year or the year before. They are on hatch watch. Cant wait to see the 'wee ones'.

Jeremy, let me know when you can stomach some more chocolate, or another goodie of your liking. LOL about the cream and the library...I say go for it.
To all the other FL gardeners...been out working in the yard. Are we not blessed, or what, to have this gorgeous weather, even tho its been chilly at night. Of course, come July, its a different story. Yuk
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9371707

Sure wish I could have opened up eagle cam but couldn't do it. They are the most majestic bird and wonderful to watch in flight. When visiting my friends 900 acre ranch we often ride over it with golf cart and look for their nests. We have only found one once but sure do see lots of other wildlife which I love watching.

Had to get outside to work today even tho I still have a cold. Weather was too good to be inside. I don't miss ice and snow a bit even tho its pretty when falling but after it lands and freezes on the roads and walkways YUK.

I'm not fond of our Julys but can't have everything. All I pray for in 2013 is health cause if you have that you have everything you need.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL.

Bonnie
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9372082

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgyaDEk_ZyQ

This was earlier this morning. The parents are for sure acting different, brought more sticks to build up the side of the nest. Im hoping for the first hatch today, Im wasting to much time watching these birds, but its just so fascinating to me.

I hear you, and second you, on the health comment.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9372239

Finally a Utube link that works for me!!!! Now I can watch the Eagles.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9372248

Did you find the live feed? Arent they interesting. Im just watching for something to emerge from that hole. Make sure to turn your volume all the way up, when they move, you can hear the peep.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9372571

I got the live feed, thanks gg.
Happy New Year!
I started a new thread for us here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292527/
Come on over!
Sidney

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America