All Florida Chit Chat #6

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Welcome, please join us.
Here we chat about our gardens and plants and what every else that strikes our fancey
We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272010/#top

My new water pools

Thumbnail by wren107
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you for the new thread.

Sylvain.

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Great pools Sandy and a lot of fun too, I bet.

Yes they are, except for needing to clean out the older ones.
I gave the goldfish in the larger one away as they had gotten to big, I have started to clean out that one.
Moves the goldfish from the second pool in the older line into the first pool of the new line of pools, today I will move the goldfish from 3rd one into the 3rd new one. Then once I get the older ones cleaned out I will need to buy some more goldfish AND SOME MORE PLANTS!!!!! LOL!!!
I plan to add 2 more of the pools to the lines which will mean MORE PLANTS!!!!!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

GREAT idea for keeping plants going to put in pond. Thanks Sandy. My koi shred anything they get their mouth on. Little devils. Guess they like to have something to play with as I don't think they really eat them cause parts are alwlays gloating on the water for me to remove.
Hope all is well at your house.
Bonnie

Koi would not do good in my set up. So I just buy the cheap "feeder" goldfish. If they survive then I am doing a good deed, other wise they would be some animals lunch . The large ones I had 3 years.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

For anyone in the JAX area looking to do something indoors this weekend, the quilt show is at the Prime Osborne center today & tomorrow. No live plants but lots of quilts with applique flowers. Over 200 AWESOME quilts on display.

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

I'ii try to be there.

Sorry I still can not walk that much-thought if these injections to the knees help I might make it next year
Sandy

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Just didn't have the energy left. I love that show too.
(Kicking myself gently!)
Actually I have good news and if you have read this elsewhere please forgive my repeats.
I have been deemed cured by Dr Virtabo head of trauma at Shands here in Jax.
I can't run yet, but balance is great and I am getting around good. Dr Virtabo suggested I use assistance when flying from here on out.
I still occasionally look like I downed a bottle of wine when I walk, and my friend says it looks like it hurts to walk. It does not hurt, but I get back fatigue easy.
I am very interested in getting back to the water and fishing. I will also be taking enough coleus with me to fill all my boxes on my deck. Then a trip to Jupiter and the nurseries in between to get fill ins.
I am considering flower boxes for my boat. I know I need a new flowering Sweet Almond. I may find one of those here in Jax.
Stay safe friends.
Sidney

Sidney sounds good.

Sandy

What GREAT news Sidney!!!! I know you so enjoy being active. When do you plan to head south?
Summer has just flown by. I never even made it up to Linda's to reclaim my chair.

Quilt Show was packed yesterday afternoon. A lot of Charities will be getting nice checks from the $$$ raised.

Great news, Sidney. It sounds like only time and perseverance will complete the job of getting you back on your feet and running again. Positive thoughts going your way.

Take care, everyone.
Sylvain.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

great water garden you have. Where did ya find those containers???

thanks so much

Jan

Allthingsplants, FL(Zone 8b)

Hooray for you Sidney!!!!!!!! Wonderful news. Now that you have the all clear you'll be getting back in the swing of things I'm sure.

Jan I get all but the large one from Home Depot. They cost about 30 dollars each.
I drill a hole as a out spout to go into the next one. I have a drip going into the first one in line

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

Went to go out the side door of the lanai to check on my veggies and guess what I saw? A BOBCAT! We stared at each other and then he walked away. I had been told that there was one in the neighborhood.... Beautiful. I feel as though I need to put water out for him. With all the snakes and tree rats, he should be having himself a nice smorgasbord! Now I know what has set off the light sensor on the back of the "man-cave" in the middle of the night--and that's inside the fence.
Debi

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

GREAT news Sidney, I am very happy for you. Nothing like being able to get around under your own power.
Bonnie

Sidney - wonderful news of your recovery! I know you will be glad to get back to the big lake. I have a Sweet Flowering Almond (Aloysia virgata) rooted here. Sherrie and Buddy are supposed to be coming by (coming to your house for computer needs). I'll send the Aloysia your way. I'm not sure about planting it in a box though, if that was your idea. I had no idea it would reach over the top of our 2-story house and just keeps growing!. It might be too crowded in a box.

Qwilter - I heard about the quilt show on TV and knew you would be going. I would like to have made it, but I'm staying close to home these days unless pried out of the yard by a necessary appointment or other errand.

Debij - Wow! What a great thing to see the Bobcat! It sounds like you were more startled than the cat. Not much wildlife around here, even with bodies of water within a few miles. The urban crunch has chased out all the critters. Not even many raccoons or possums. I keep waiting for a snake to show up (hopefully a friendly one), but no luck within about 9 years.

Today I woke up to what must be for most of us the most horrific nightmare possible (but VERY real)!! The police were here with a bush hog and a crew of about 6 with weed wackers and set upon my gardens to level them to the ground. I had responded to previous notices, citing my exemption from the city "nuisance vegetation" ordinances because I practiced "Florida Friendly" landscaping, as per the state law signed by Governor Crist. I was on the verge of a total emotional meltdown, but managed to stay cool and state my case. They actually were already attacking the areas by the curb and were preparing to knock down my fence and enter the yard with the bush hog. Cool reason and ability to produce my correspondence and references to the law finally got them stopped before too much damage. It was clear that no one involved (except me) had ever heard of the law. I am going down tomorrow to the Code Enforcement office and see what can be done to stop the process. I am almost afraid to leave home because I am concerned they will come back and clear cut what I've worked on for about 10 years, and spent more money than I want to calculate, to turn my little acre into a natural habitat, not a monoculture, polluting, high maintenance lawn. Please! Kind thoughts, prayers, meditations, magic spells, whatever you choose, are desired. Or, come join me in a human chain to surround the perimeter and protect my gardens (but only if you are willing to go to jail, which would be the only likely outcome).

And the other news today, actually less distressing, was that I do have perineal squamous cell carcinoma. The doctor is setting me up for visits with oncologists and radiation oncologists; with CT scans, colonoscopy, and other tests to follow. Surgery is not really an option, so it looks like I will have to do some form of chemo. The doctor says he generally gets an 80% success rate with chemo with this kind of cancer. Again - Kind thoughts, prayers, meditations, magic spells, whatever you choose, are desired.

What a memorable day! LOL

Jeremy

Photo: My Sweet Flowering Almond (Aloysia virgata) as seen from the landing between the 1st and 2nd floors of our house. It is in flower constantly in the warm months, deciduous in winter. The aroma is wonderful! It is not actually an almond and I don't know how that common name got applied unless some people think it smells like almond scent (I don't!) I've propagated quite a few cuttings from it. It tends to have a lot of "water sprouts" that stand straight up on the limbs. I cut most of those off and use them to propagate more trees. And edited to add - the hummingbirds surprised me by loving these tiny white flowers!

This message was edited Sep 27, 2012 1:14 AM

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

You just cant even imagine the good thoughts and prayers headed your way. If youve got the strength not to totally come unglued with the bush hog, your gunna make the chemo too. There is a very very good success rate and altho I dont know when you caught yours, you should many more years to fight the bush hog.

honestly, I still cant imagine you when they came to cut that stuff, your a trooper, thats for sure. You would have thought, even if they had the right to cut it, they would let someone know ahead of time. Its not like the house was vacant or something.

Someone once told me tht God didnt give anyone any more than they could handle. Ive begged him at times, not to think Im so strong. Hopefully, you will not have any more 'testing' any time soon.

pam

Jeremy, I was sorry to read about your health problems. Best thoughts, vibes and prayers going your way. And what a horrible thought to wake up as a wrecking crew is preparing to level your garden. I would join you in forming a human chain around your garden to keep Code Enforcement vilains out of your garden, but I am too pretty to go to jail; sorry.

I have one of those sweet almond bushes growing here. I love it. It is trouble-free, blooms most of the year and when the breeze is just right, my outside office under the carport smells heavenly. How does one propagate such a bush? Your advice would be appreciated.

Take care.
Sylvain.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I cant wait to find out what the city tells him. Curious what sent them there in the first place. You would have thought they would have said, trim or be trimmed, but to just send someone out of the blue.....not nice.

Jacksonville, FL

Qwilter~I still have the chair safely stored. Just let me know when you can come visit! I am getting GH prepared/covered in anticipation of the frigid wather that will be soon here. Yard is full of weeds right now but too many other ptojects going on

Sidney ~ that is wonderful news. I know you will be happy to be back on the boat and enjoying time down there. It took awhile for me to get back on my feet and I am still limited on some things but we find a way!!

Jeremy ~ I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers ~ you have been through so much lately. I don't think the city had any business doing that tho--there are way to many foreclosed properties grown into jungles by neglect and they do nothing. I would demand an explanation and an apology!

Allthingsplants, FL(Zone 8b)

Jeremy, two major hits at one time! Glad you got the wrecking crew to stop & I also wonder why there was no notice sent to the homeowner. I would think that would be a legal requirement.

All positive thoughts & energy headed your way throughout the duration! 80% is GOOD odds!!! You'll do fine.

Thanks, all, for your encouragement in both of my current battles (which are only 2 at the top of the list of several ongoing wars LOL).

I have an appointment with a radiation oncologist on Tuesday afternoon and an appointment with another oncologist Wednesday afternoon. The colo-rectal surgeon that diagnosed the cancer suggested I have an office visit with both of them. I will know more of what to expect within a week or so. I am currently doing what I can to tolerate the pain, while also trying to stay busy and accomplish what I can while I still can.

I took a strong stance in my letter to the Director of the Code Compliance Division, giving a Cease and Desist Order (though I'm not sure I have any legal authority to do that, other than by paying taxes that pay her salary and by some extended and shaky logic, therefore being her boss). I also stated she was welcome to refer my claim for damage to my property to the city Insurance and Risk Management Division, to whom I would gladly provide an itemized list of the ornamental plants they mangled or destroyed. I have read through the city ordinance several times and there is no mention of any portion of the ordinance being applicable to ornamental plants. The ordinance only applies to "nuisance vegetation" and "weeds." So even without my affirmative defense that I am exempt from the ordinance by practicing Florida Friendly Landscaping techniques (as per Florida Statutes), there is no legitimate reason for the city to send a crew to hack up ornamental plants. They would have to pass a new ordinance to prohibit "effusive gardening." LOL

Sylvain, I share your lack of desire to become the girly-man of a convict's fondest desiring. But if the city shows up again with a mowing crew, I may have to take one for the team. LOL

Photos - 1. Confederate Rose (Hibiscus mutabalis) wearing her late afternoon shades of pink.
2. My first attempt at propagating by air-layering seems to be a success! I want to make my 'Pink Perfection' Camellia (which is decades old and here when I bought the house) into a "standard" bare trunk shrub shape. But I didn't want to lose the chance to propagate the lower limbs I intend to remove. Soon after the Camellia flowered this spring, I cut some notches into the bark at the base of the lower branches, sprinkled on some hormone rooting powder, wrapped the area in wet orchid moss, put a piece of spongy foam pipe insulation around the moss, then wrapped the entire portion in pieces of thin nylon fabric and portions of grocery bags. I left a small gap at the top of the wrapping to allow moisture to enter. I think all the rain this summer assisted with rooting. It's been like having Christmas packages waiting to be opened for the past several months. I finally couldn't take the suspense any longer and cut off one of the air-layering attempts with an electric chain saw. I was thrilled to see that roots were actually forming. I have about 8 more limbs that I will wait a while longer to unpackage. There should be plenty of 'Pink Perfection' to share. Some of them are intended to go south to BocaGinger whose grandfather developed the 'Pink Perfection' camellia cultivar. It will be interesting to see if Camellias can be grown and made to flower in south Florida. My recommendation would be to find someone with a restaurant refrigerator that is not being used to keep food, and put the potted Camellias in cold storage slightly above freezing for the winter months.

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

Where is everyone? Just back from a trip up north and was surprised to see this thread has not been updated since last month.
All my plants that "took the summer off" are now blooming in full force. A Hibiscus that has not bloomed in a couple years is flowering & full of buds.

Now to work on killing the weeds and getting some good soil in my soon to be flower bed.

I am here just tired.

Sandy

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Today I took Jeremy to Memorial Hosp. He's in 409 South. He has some kind of infection and is getting ready to undergo Chemo and Radiation. He said you could call him at any hour because he is quite sure they will keep him awake 24/7.
All affirmations, prayers and just sending him strength and holding him in your heart is appreciated.
Sidney

Sidney could you dmail me the phone number??

Sandy

Sidney, could you please provide the phone number to the hospital? I tried Googling them. I assumed they were in Jacksonville, but they don't have Jeremy as a patient there.

Thanks.
Sylvain.

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Memorial, # is 904-399-6996. His name is Jeremy Lucas. I'm headed that way right now.
Sidney

Sidney please tell Jeremy I have tried to call a couple of times but have missed him.

Sandy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Just talked to Jeremy. Sounds like he is doing better. Just needs to get one med problem straightened out.
Thanks Sidney for the info.
Bonnie

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Prayers.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I posted on another thread so sorry for cross posting I'm just trying to find out what type owl this is. It few in a few inside the pool cage a few hours ago.

thanks for any help folks.

Jan

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Description in bird book: 8 1/2 to 9"=ID. Variably colored small owl that iso ften divided into 2 dintinct species. Yellow eyes, prominent ear tufts, bold white spots across folded wint and black edged, facial disc are all good features.
Voice: Wavering shistles and a trill.
Habitat: Woods, parks and suburbe.
Range> Throughout US northwards along coast of Britich Columbia to Alaska.
Movements: Resident.

We had one come down our chimney and fireplace once. Boy did I have a mess of soot to clean up after we finally caught him. They are cute tho.
Bonnie

Looks like a Screech Owl to me

Sandy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Description from my bird book:Screech Owl 8 1/2 to 9in. ID. Variably colored small owl that is often divided into 2 distinct species. Yellow eyes, prominent ear tufts, bold white spots acrodd folded wing and black-edged, facial disc are all good features. Voice: wavering whistles and a trill.
Habitat: Woods, parks suburbs.
Range: Through US northwards along coast of British Colunbia to Alaska.
Movements: Resident

Jan we have had one that somehow got into our chimney and came down fireplace opening and boy did I have a mess of soot to clean up before we finally caugh

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Please excuse double post. PC is nuttier than I am. At least you know we were trying to help. LOL
Bonnie

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Yesterday Jeremy, who checked himself out of the hosp on Saturday, woke up with his left arm swollen up to his neck. He had a Dr.s appointment for 8AM, so the Dr sent Jeremy to his other Dr and the receptionist drove Jeremy to St Vincent's Hosp.
He had a blood clot in his Carotid Artery. His DW is on her way to the hosp now and will keep me informed. He also was not over his blood disease. I have no phone #s now, but will keep you posted.
Bonnie, you didn't cuss that owl did you?
S

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.