Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Pests and Diseases: Medlar (Mespilus germanica) Tree Leaf Edges Turning Brown

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nonconformist7
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9280685

I want to get a second opinion on my Medlar tree. I planted it this Spring. It was shipped very nicely to me, and when it arrived it was still damp, and nice and green. I put it in a shaded area to get it used to being in the sun, and then moved it to half&half, and eventually full sun. I then planted it, and have been watering it regularly. After a month or so, the edges of the leaves began to turn brown. I have sprayed a homemade herbicide/fungicide mix on it several times (which worked with my Peach tree leaves that were yellowing and dropping) but it doesn't seem to have done anything to help the Medlar.

I found a website that says these trees can get Hawthorn Leaf Spot (http://informedfarmers.com/medlar/). However my tree is out in the middle of an open space, and gets plenty of sun to dry the foliage after the rain, and when I water it is at the base. It could be this, but I don't know enough about it to be certain, and so I have explored other causes.

I am beginning to think that the tree is not getting enough water, and I know that I'm watering it plenty, so I'm assuming that the roots are somehow constricted. I could be WAY off, which is why I wanted to post on here and get another opinion first. If it looks like this is the case I want to get it dug up and remedied, so that it can thrive next Spring. If that isn't the problem then I in no way want to disturb it if I don't have to. I'm still learning, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!!

Thumbnail by nonconformist7   Thumbnail by nonconformist7
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9280952

I'm not familiar with hawthorn leaf spot specifically, but it doesn't look like a fungal leaf spot disease to me. It could be other things too, but I would consider the possibility that it's just a little bit stressed from its first summer in the ground. I suspect your summers can be rather warm, and with just being planted this spring it wouldn't have had time to get well established before summer heat hit. Could be it's not getting quite enough water, but when you have a plant that didn't have a chance to get completely established before summer you can expect some degree of stress even if you are watering it appropriately. So I'd be inclined to leave it where it is and assume that it should look better next year once it's had more time to get established.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America