Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Drought messed with my garden this summer: Article

Communities > Forums > Article: Drought messed with my garden this summer
bookmark
Forum: Article: Drought messed with my garden this summerReplies: 6, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ves522

ves522
Jim Falls, WI
(Zone 4a)

September 20, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9280843

Adina another interesting article. I have never had fruit worms in my tomatoes. I am thinking you might of been even drier then we were? HAd plenty of blossom end rot tho and something was also eating some of my nice tomatoes. But like you I don't mind sharing. Did have plenty to can.

My beans also curled then grew straight when it cooled down. Didn't get lots but there are some in the freezer.

HAlf my potatoes are in the ground yet. Not a great harvest but enough and so good!

Thanks for giving me something to think about and wonderful pictures.

Vicki and Ty

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 20, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9280876

Vicki, thanks for the comments. I remember you had more rain and cooler temps than mine last summer. We had very high temps, but especially the lack of rain was devastating. Finally, we're expecting rain tonight, yeah!
About the fruitworms, they're like home in my yard...yesterday , one was "walking" on the alley, like running from the veggie garden. It seems the spraying worked!LOL

Adina

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9281128

Here in New Mexico we are in our 2nd year of severe drought. Our
"monsoon season" failed to produce much of anything and the high
temperatures didn't help. Most nights didn't drop below the mid 80s
and days were in the high 90s.

Andinamiti, my tomatoes looked much like those in your photos. Most
were severely cracked. Those I could salvage were delicious but it
was a very disappointing season. I had no tomatoes for sauces or
for freezing.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 20, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9281244

Sorry for your tomatoes , June! We can only hope for a better season next year.

Adina
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

September 24, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9284701

Adina, I would be interested in how you pickle your tomatoes? I have a lot of little cherry tomatoes that I want to preserve somehow, but don't want to use for sauce. I know how to do a green tomato pickle, but it sounded like you use the ripe ones.

I didn't get a single pepper this summer, and just a few yellow and roma tomatoes for eating fresh. The melons that I planted struggled also then gave up. But, as usual, the little cherry tomatoes were slowed only by the browsing of the deer that figured out a new way into the yard!

Rae
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9284832

Thanks for a great article! It helped me understand some of the things I saw with my vegetables, and to plan for next year! Will try the parsley next to tomatoes for sure.
It made me thankful that our drought here in NW Indiana was not so bad. We had such a high water bill in july that I was inspired to experiment with using grey water for watering my flowers. It worked pretty well, With a little practice I can recycle several gallons a day for containers.
My grape tomatoes have exploded. I have had to pinch off new growth all September so the current fruit will ripen. Also I found that tugging on the roots helps to speed things up; can't remember where I got that tip from, but it works!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 25, 2012
1:16 AM

Post #9285651

Rae, I'm not using the ripe tomatoes, but also the green ones. But if some of them are ripe, they are tastier. They can get juicy and sweet. My cherry tomatoes did very well too.

Marty, congratulations for using the grey water! How are you tugging the roots? I'm glad my article was of help.

Adina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Drought messed with my garden this summer Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
drought cherylscout 5 Sep 25, 2012 10:32 PM
DRAUGHT dordee 1 Sep 25, 2012 1:17 AM
legume hapylica 3 Sep 26, 2012 1:12 PM
Good to Hear riceke 5 Sep 28, 2012 12:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America