Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Houseplants: moonflower seeds

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 62, Views: 321
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 20, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9281138

I planted a bunch of monflower seeds in a small pot now there is something coming up but it has round leaves, could that be the moonflowers already? They don't look like any of the photos I have seen, could it be weeds?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9281318

Ipomoea get little leaves that aren't really true leaves. It takes a set or 2 before you get the ones that look like the adult leaves.

Is this the plant you meant by 'Moonflower?' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/893/
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 21, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9282000

The reason I was asking is that I did not know that they would sprout so quick. There was only about 3 or 4 that had sprouted in the coffee filter and I have more than that sprouting in the potting soil. So I should just let them be and see what happens? I looked on the Datura link and the seeds looked like the Datura, small, oblong, and tan in color. If you soak them they sink and sprout pretty quick.I also knicked them too. So I guess I should just do the P.A.T.I.E.N.T thing huh?LOL!!!!!!!!;)

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9282030

Those are not true leaves, they are seeds leaves. The true leaves will be the next set and may not immediately look like the adult leaves. Give them some time and you'll be rewarded.

I love Daturas. They can become weedy so be prepared to do some thinning. I cut off the seedpods when they appear. If you have children around, educate them about not handling these plants as they are toxic.

Here is a picture of the seedpods in the phases of growth.

Thumbnail by kwanjin   Thumbnail by kwanjin   Thumbnail by kwanjin      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 21, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9282034

Thank you kwanjin, I did not want to pull them up if they were the moonflowers, should I keep the plastic on them? I took it off last night so they could have some air, but mostly I keep the plastic and the light on them all the time.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9282039

If you can put them in a shaded area outside with the lid off, they'll do better at this time of year. Bring them in at night if it gets below 50 or so. They'll have to winter indoors. Do you have room for them?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 21, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9282062

I can put them on my desk right beside my computer.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 21, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9282075

I put them on a box right outside of the house Since it is cloudy today, I don't think sun is going to be the problem. When I bring it back in at night should I cover it back up or not?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9282345

You can if you want to but you don't want them to stay too wet or they'll rot.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 22, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9283092

There are several squirrels running around so I put the pot in the front window, it gets some sun and shade, that way they won't try to hide their nuts in the soil.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9283212

They may do that anyway. Squirrells are unpredictable. LOL
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 23, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9283925

Looky what is coming up!!!! I have another one that is coming up too, but I got the camera a little too close and it is blurry. But as you can see, I guess I inherited my green thumb from my grandmother, she could grow just about anything, and so far so can I with maybe the exception of the Naked Ladies. I have it in the window and was a little afraid that it might be too cool for it, but of course it has proved me wrong again, we have the stove on now, and it is supposed to get in the 70's this next week, so that will help it of course. I was so happy when I saw this I did a little jig! I guess I have to have some more of that patience so they will grow into a happy mess. How long do you think before all of them are up?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9283938

It takes as long as it takes. There is no guessing.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9284155

If you put a few plastic forks in the soil, handle in first, with the tines sticking up just a bit, the squirrels won't want to dig in the pots.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 24, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9284781

This little guy is getting ready to say hello! I have them in the window and they seem to like it there, it usually don't get that much sunlight but for some reason it is now. I rotated the pot so the other one could get some sun too. I felt the pot and it was warm too.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 24, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9284899

I just got a whole bag of moonflower pods from my neighbor, how can I keep them over winter and plant them in the spring?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9285101

You can just keep them in the container they came in. They'll keep for a long time.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 25, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9285907

This is what they are in, I don't want them to rot in the bag, should I take them out and lay them on the counter on newspaper, we have no kids and no pets.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9285913

How many plants did you want? You'll be able to populate the whole block and then some with all those. If you're going to use them for trades, I would lay them out in an out-of-the-way place and let them dry. I'm not sure how well they'll develope off the plant. Maybe someone else will know.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 25, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9285923

To begin with I only wanted one really to find out if I could grow them, I was thinking of putting some in the backyard, we don't mow it, it is full of weeds and sand. Would they grow there? I was also thinking of giving some away on freecycle.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9286178

Yup, they'll grow just about anywhere. Mine came as a gift from the sky.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 27, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9287861

I have a space beside the stove and the oven(they are in two separate places), and it is cool and I put a couple of pieces of cardboard under them to catch the seeds. The cardboard won't attract moisture will it? I spread them out as best as I could, now do I just leave them alone until spring? There are some BIG seed pods in that bunch and some little ones.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9287870

That should be fine. You'll notice when they're dry. When the seeds start falling out is when you can collect and store them. I'd just put the seeds in a paper sack with a label and wait for Spring to plant. You could try starting more inside about the end of Feb., too, just to see what happens. It helps pass the time. ^_^
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 29, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9289843

This is growing in the pot with the moonflowers, is it weeds? If so, can I pull them to make more room for my babies?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

September 30, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9290960

This little fellow is popping up quite well, what does it look like when it is starting to make the second set of leaves? Mine has a small bump on one of the leaves, is that good?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

October 3, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9294721

Since I got the moonflower pods, there has been four that have popped open, I have the seeds in a paper lunch bag and have them labeled so I know what they are. Every time I touch one I wash my hands real good, I have heard that they are toxic so I am not taking any chances. I can see the true leaves coming up but you have to look real close and I can't get the camera to focus that close, so you might have to take my word for it. Here is the latest picture, if you have Irfanview, you can get closer and see what I mean in the middle between the leaves.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9295536

I see what you mean. They look great!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

October 4, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9295595

As you can see, the pods are opening. I sure won't have a shortage of seeds!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

October 6, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9297852

You don't need Irfanview to see the true leaves coming on, I am so happy that at least one seed is growing. I have several more in the same pot but I can't figure out why no other is sprouting. I have some in a small pot and have it in a plastic bag and I have 3 in a baggie with a coffee filter. But for some reason this is the only one that is growing.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9298130

Don't worry, some take their time and others come right out and say 'HI!'
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

October 13, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9303847

My little plant is getting taller, used to I had to sit up to see it and now, I can sit back and still see it good. The seed leaves are turning yellow at the tips, I think they are dying, so thought I would give you a update.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

October 14, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9304763

I still have sun coming in the picture window, would it be a good idea to put the pot with the seedling there, the other pot I have there is warm to the touch.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

October 18, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9308787

There have been some interesting things since I last posted here, I got my first interview at work, now just impatiently waiting on the second. And I have some pics for you, 1.my first moonflower plant looks like it is losing its seed leaves,2.my hubby bought me some hardy mums, they are called Harvest Gold, when is the best time to plant them? 3.one of my purple morning glories,4.I looked at my moonflower pot and there was a new one popped up, now do I take the seed off the top or just let it fall off?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9308878

Beautiful! Leave it alone. It will eventually fall off on it's own. You don't want to risk pulling the little guy out.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

October 19, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9309634

Whoever said these guys grow fast, sure knew what they were talking about. This is a updated photo of my two babies. As you can see, they are not wasting any time just fooling around.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

November 4, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9324634

How do I keep the mums alive during the winter inside? Should I cut them back just under the blooms? How do you keep them?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

November 25, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9341989

I have one flourescent light above my moonflower plants, do you think I should get another one to shine on it? I don't have the $$$$ or the room to have a long flourescent tube to help grow them. They seem to be ok for now, but I am not sure whether to put another bulb on it or not. Any suggestions would help.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 1, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9346909

I finally did it! A friend over at work gave me two Amaryllis box kits and a Paperwhite box kit! One of the Amaryllis kits is Minerva and that is the one I have on my desk, I have a flourescent light on it and have followed the directions on the box to the letter. I will post a picture when this page lets me, sometimes it won't let me post pics and I have to wait. But the bulb is about as big as a Bermuda onion and has several stems poking up, ( I guess that is what the white things are). How close to the plant should I have the light?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 1, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9346915

I know this is not a moonflower but I can't get on the Amaryllis Hippastrum page, I finally got the right one this time, does this look alright to you, I have a flourescent bulb on it right now. How close can I have the light before it does damage? A friend over at work gave me 2 Amaryllis and a box of paperwhites, but right now I am just trying one, it is labeled Minerva but that does not mean that is what it is. I am so excited!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 2, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9347750

I know this is not the Amaryllis forum but I wanted to show you what I did, just got potting soil and filled it just to the rim with it and packed it down, I am not going to water it because the soil was outiside and was damp but not soggy and I thought it would be good not to over water it. It has a hole and I have it in a small saucer to catch the water if I did it from the top, I think when I do water it I will water it from the bottom, it might be better that way. If you have any suggestions or advice I will appreciate it.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 14, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9385112

Here is the only moonflower I have gotten to sprout, I have planted several seeds and this is the only one that has come up. I also planted two more in the same pot as this one, if I supply bottom heat to the pot for awhile would that cause the seeds to sprout? Does it need warmth on the bottom to start? I could put it on the pellet stove and put a tin pie pan under it so it would not melt, would that do any good? If you look closely,you can see another leaf starting to grow in the middle, I did not think it would do anything and here it is sprouting another leaf!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 19, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9390165

I just bought 3 packages of Moonflower seeds from the American Seed Company, but these are different from what I have, these are big and look like a kernel of corn. Are these vines? I hope these don't hurt the one I already have growing, I am soaking just one to find out what it does and how fast it will sprout. Is American Seed Company a good company?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 22, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9393558

I have 3 pots of seeds and a paper towel soaking 5 more. I have them on a heating pad which is on medium high, how long should I keep them on there? Two of the pots have moonvine seeds in them, one bowl has the seeds that are soaking and the other pot has two moonflower seedlings in it and more moonflower seeds. I was also wondering how long it would take for the seeds to sprout with the bottom heat and should I keep the heat on all the time? Some help would be appreciated.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 23, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9395377

Here is the first Datura that has popped up, the second is a moonvine sprout and there is another sprout in the little green pot. I guess they decided to grow for me. Datura is the bush moonflower and the moonvine is the climbing flower. The sprout is growing really fast, should I take the plastic off now or should I wait until the sprout is fully out of the soil?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes         

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 29, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9402105

This is what my neighbor gave me tonight, it is the first time I have seen this kind of plant, I have good news, I get to go back to work tomorrow, same shift and same line and same place! How do you water this plant, one person says take it out of the container and rinse it off and another person says to put water in the cup of leaves, which is the better way? I have never seen a plant that does not use soil and water before. Is there a better place to post questions about this plant that I don't have to subscribe to?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

February 3, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9407449

I had 6 moonflower vine seedlings, I gave 3 away and I am going to keep 3 for myself, I also have another package of seeds that I can plant if anything happens to these. I also have 3 Datura plants that are happy and healthy too, here is a photo of the moonvine that is getting its true leaves.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

February 22, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9427799

Does anyone know if a moonflower or moonvine will bloom while it is indoors? I have tried to find any answer on the web pages but no one seems to know. I guess it will be another wait and see project, I had morning glories in the house and they bloomed, maybe I will get lucky again and have a flower from the moonvine or the Daturas.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2013
11:58 PM

Post #9430564

are those the daturas that open their flowers in the evening?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 2, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9436567

yes they do, but I have some small yellow spots on my moonvine leaves, I noticed them today, I can't upload a picture for some reason, but the spots are on the true leaves, could I be watering them too much?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9436625

maybe it is the water, try holding off the water until the surface of the soil is a little dried out. if you can, water it in the sink or somewhere that the excess water can drain.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 2, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9436769

thank you coastalzonepush, I think that is a good idea and I am going to start using a small cup or glass to water them intstead of the mister, the mister keeps getting the water on the leaves, and that is not a good idea. I can hold it over the sink and water it, I did not know that you could water it until it pees water out the bottom.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9436786

you're welcome. yeah it's probably the mist water staying on the leaves. what you don't want to do is, water that much when the soil is moist. wait until the top inch is dry to water like that. or when you can see some wilting.

hopefully you'll have moonflower blooms in the garden before any of your neighbors!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 2, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9436827

This is a picture of two of my moonvine plants, how much bigger do they get before they start to bloom and will they bloom in the house? Here is a picture of my Datura too, how much bigger will it get before it blooms?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes         

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9436984

well it's hard to tell now since they are inside. remember plants outside grow at a different rate than inside because they are exposed to everything they need. when you sow those seeds out once the soil is warmed, they probably start to bloom in June-July because both like the heat and sunlight.
the reason i don't think they will bloom inside is because night bloomers bloom according to the time, as you you can imagine.

but keep them growing strong, and once the nighttime temperatures are warm enough, you can leave them outside.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 3, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9437549

Do you think it would be a good idea to put the Bromeliad and the moon vine plants in the window? They have both been near the flourescent light and the windowsill is a good bit cooler, I don't want to kill them but the glass has a plastic cover over it. What do you think? I was thinking the sunlight would be a good idea.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9437623

the amount of sunlight might not be worth the potential cold damage. the temperature change might also affect them. maybe tomorrow you can put them at the window all day to get the full amount of sun coming through. the bromeliad doesn't need the sun like the moonflower does. a spot near the window should be bright enough.

is the window south facing?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 4, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9438269

No the window is not south facing, but right now there is quite a bit of sun coming through. I was thinking of leaving them there for a while and putting them back under the light before I go to work. I don't want them to get burnt. I may have my hubby put them back on the desk after I leave so the plants can get the most sunlight. I remember the web page that I went to says they like it hot.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9438810

yeah, those two plants don't like cold air. so if you do put them by the window make sure the leaves aren't touching the panes. if you put your hand where the plants are and it feels cold to you, it might be too cold for them. as long as the window isn't drafty, it should be fine.

for now, you can keep using the artificial light until the daily temperatures are more pleasant.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 9, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9443786

The seed leaves are finally dying off on the moon vine plants, I did not know that they would stay that long! I put a pot with a Datura plant in it on the windowsill and going to leave it there for awhile, it is supposed to be real warm tomorrow.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 30, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9466740

The sun coming through the window is warm today, so I put one of my Daturas in there, I am hoping it will like the sunlight. I have the mother-in-laws tongue in there and my poinsetta and Amaryllis and the Datura, I went out and checked on my rose and there is greenery on it! I just hope it blooms and if it does my feet won't touch the ground for weeks, especially with the rocky start she has had. Here's hoping all my Dave's Garden friends have a happy and healthy Easter weekend, I have to work today but I have tomorrow off so I can enjoy the beautiful weather. I also checked in the backyard to see if the Tiger Lilies have started to show their little sprouts and so far no luck, I don't know if they will come up or not. They might be in the shade of the tree in the back, but I sure won't have a shortage of flowers, hopefully the hummingbirds will like some of them.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9466805

as spring weather approaches, naturally, they will speed up their growth.

the tiger lilies might start growing this month. they can grow tall before they plan on flowering later in summer.

try saving an Easter lily this weekend. which zone are you in?

happy Easter to you too!

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 31, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9467695

I am in zone 6, so I don't know if an Easter Lily would make it in my area, my hubby just got me a 25lb. bag of black oil sunflower seeds and a new thistle seed sock, the old one got knocked down and something chewed a hole in it, so the only thing that I did not put out is a suet cake, with all the seed that they have, I am going to hold off on too much food.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9467730

yeah. if you are in the warmer half of 6, you might be able to grow it with good mulching in the winter and a sheltered spot. up against a brick wall is successful for lots of people - if you have that. sometimes they don't survive zone 7. but it's just an idea.

good idea, too much food might attract too many pests. you should get a good variety of birds with your sunflower seed, cardinals, finches, sparrows, chickadees. i think goldfinches really like thistle.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America