moonflower seeds

Lakeview, OH

I planted a bunch of monflower seeds in a small pot now there is something coming up but it has round leaves, could that be the moonflowers already? They don't look like any of the photos I have seen, could it be weeds?

(Zone 7a)

Ipomoea get little leaves that aren't really true leaves. It takes a set or 2 before you get the ones that look like the adult leaves.

Is this the plant you meant by 'Moonflower?' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/893/

Lakeview, OH

The reason I was asking is that I did not know that they would sprout so quick. There was only about 3 or 4 that had sprouted in the coffee filter and I have more than that sprouting in the potting soil. So I should just let them be and see what happens? I looked on the Datura link and the seeds looked like the Datura, small, oblong, and tan in color. If you soak them they sink and sprout pretty quick.I also knicked them too. So I guess I should just do the P.A.T.I.E.N.T thing huh?LOL!!!!!!!!;)

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
(Zone 7a)

Those are not true leaves, they are seeds leaves. The true leaves will be the next set and may not immediately look like the adult leaves. Give them some time and you'll be rewarded.

I love Daturas. They can become weedy so be prepared to do some thinning. I cut off the seedpods when they appear. If you have children around, educate them about not handling these plants as they are toxic.

Here is a picture of the seedpods in the phases of growth.

Thumbnail by kwanjin Thumbnail by kwanjin Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lakeview, OH

Thank you kwanjin, I did not want to pull them up if they were the moonflowers, should I keep the plastic on them? I took it off last night so they could have some air, but mostly I keep the plastic and the light on them all the time.

(Zone 7a)

If you can put them in a shaded area outside with the lid off, they'll do better at this time of year. Bring them in at night if it gets below 50 or so. They'll have to winter indoors. Do you have room for them?

Lakeview, OH

I can put them on my desk right beside my computer.

Lakeview, OH

I put them on a box right outside of the house Since it is cloudy today, I don't think sun is going to be the problem. When I bring it back in at night should I cover it back up or not?

(Zone 7a)

You can if you want to but you don't want them to stay too wet or they'll rot.

Lakeview, OH

There are several squirrels running around so I put the pot in the front window, it gets some sun and shade, that way they won't try to hide their nuts in the soil.

(Zone 7a)

They may do that anyway. Squirrells are unpredictable. LOL

Lakeview, OH

Looky what is coming up!!!! I have another one that is coming up too, but I got the camera a little too close and it is blurry. But as you can see, I guess I inherited my green thumb from my grandmother, she could grow just about anything, and so far so can I with maybe the exception of the Naked Ladies. I have it in the window and was a little afraid that it might be too cool for it, but of course it has proved me wrong again, we have the stove on now, and it is supposed to get in the 70's this next week, so that will help it of course. I was so happy when I saw this I did a little jig! I guess I have to have some more of that patience so they will grow into a happy mess. How long do you think before all of them are up?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
(Zone 7a)

It takes as long as it takes. There is no guessing.

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

If you put a few plastic forks in the soil, handle in first, with the tines sticking up just a bit, the squirrels won't want to dig in the pots.

Lakeview, OH

This little guy is getting ready to say hello! I have them in the window and they seem to like it there, it usually don't get that much sunlight but for some reason it is now. I rotated the pot so the other one could get some sun too. I felt the pot and it was warm too.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

I just got a whole bag of moonflower pods from my neighbor, how can I keep them over winter and plant them in the spring?

(Zone 7a)

You can just keep them in the container they came in. They'll keep for a long time.

Lakeview, OH

This is what they are in, I don't want them to rot in the bag, should I take them out and lay them on the counter on newspaper, we have no kids and no pets.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
(Zone 7a)

How many plants did you want? You'll be able to populate the whole block and then some with all those. If you're going to use them for trades, I would lay them out in an out-of-the-way place and let them dry. I'm not sure how well they'll develope off the plant. Maybe someone else will know.

Lakeview, OH

To begin with I only wanted one really to find out if I could grow them, I was thinking of putting some in the backyard, we don't mow it, it is full of weeds and sand. Would they grow there? I was also thinking of giving some away on freecycle.

(Zone 7a)

Yup, they'll grow just about anywhere. Mine came as a gift from the sky.

Lakeview, OH

I have a space beside the stove and the oven(they are in two separate places), and it is cool and I put a couple of pieces of cardboard under them to catch the seeds. The cardboard won't attract moisture will it? I spread them out as best as I could, now do I just leave them alone until spring? There are some BIG seed pods in that bunch and some little ones.

(Zone 7a)

That should be fine. You'll notice when they're dry. When the seeds start falling out is when you can collect and store them. I'd just put the seeds in a paper sack with a label and wait for Spring to plant. You could try starting more inside about the end of Feb., too, just to see what happens. It helps pass the time. ^_^

Lakeview, OH

This is growing in the pot with the moonflowers, is it weeds? If so, can I pull them to make more room for my babies?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

This little fellow is popping up quite well, what does it look like when it is starting to make the second set of leaves? Mine has a small bump on one of the leaves, is that good?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

Since I got the moonflower pods, there has been four that have popped open, I have the seeds in a paper lunch bag and have them labeled so I know what they are. Every time I touch one I wash my hands real good, I have heard that they are toxic so I am not taking any chances. I can see the true leaves coming up but you have to look real close and I can't get the camera to focus that close, so you might have to take my word for it. Here is the latest picture, if you have Irfanview, you can get closer and see what I mean in the middle between the leaves.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
(Zone 7a)

I see what you mean. They look great!

Lakeview, OH

As you can see, the pods are opening. I sure won't have a shortage of seeds!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

You don't need Irfanview to see the true leaves coming on, I am so happy that at least one seed is growing. I have several more in the same pot but I can't figure out why no other is sprouting. I have some in a small pot and have it in a plastic bag and I have 3 in a baggie with a coffee filter. But for some reason this is the only one that is growing.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
(Zone 7a)

Don't worry, some take their time and others come right out and say 'HI!'

Lakeview, OH

My little plant is getting taller, used to I had to sit up to see it and now, I can sit back and still see it good. The seed leaves are turning yellow at the tips, I think they are dying, so thought I would give you a update.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

I still have sun coming in the picture window, would it be a good idea to put the pot with the seedling there, the other pot I have there is warm to the touch.

Lakeview, OH

There have been some interesting things since I last posted here, I got my first interview at work, now just impatiently waiting on the second. And I have some pics for you, 1.my first moonflower plant looks like it is losing its seed leaves,2.my hubby bought me some hardy mums, they are called Harvest Gold, when is the best time to plant them? 3.one of my purple morning glories,4.I looked at my moonflower pot and there was a new one popped up, now do I take the seed off the top or just let it fall off?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes Thumbnail by emptyeyes Thumbnail by emptyeyes Thumbnail by emptyeyes
(Zone 7a)

Beautiful! Leave it alone. It will eventually fall off on it's own. You don't want to risk pulling the little guy out.

Lakeview, OH

Whoever said these guys grow fast, sure knew what they were talking about. This is a updated photo of my two babies. As you can see, they are not wasting any time just fooling around.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

How do I keep the mums alive during the winter inside? Should I cut them back just under the blooms? How do you keep them?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

I have one flourescent light above my moonflower plants, do you think I should get another one to shine on it? I don't have the $$$$ or the room to have a long flourescent tube to help grow them. They seem to be ok for now, but I am not sure whether to put another bulb on it or not. Any suggestions would help.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

I finally did it! A friend over at work gave me two Amaryllis box kits and a Paperwhite box kit! One of the Amaryllis kits is Minerva and that is the one I have on my desk, I have a flourescent light on it and have followed the directions on the box to the letter. I will post a picture when this page lets me, sometimes it won't let me post pics and I have to wait. But the bulb is about as big as a Bermuda onion and has several stems poking up, ( I guess that is what the white things are). How close to the plant should I have the light?

Lakeview, OH

I know this is not a moonflower but I can't get on the Amaryllis Hippastrum page, I finally got the right one this time, does this look alright to you, I have a flourescent bulb on it right now. How close can I have the light before it does damage? A friend over at work gave me 2 Amaryllis and a box of paperwhites, but right now I am just trying one, it is labeled Minerva but that does not mean that is what it is. I am so excited!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

I know this is not the Amaryllis forum but I wanted to show you what I did, just got potting soil and filled it just to the rim with it and packed it down, I am not going to water it because the soil was outiside and was damp but not soggy and I thought it would be good not to over water it. It has a hole and I have it in a small saucer to catch the water if I did it from the top, I think when I do water it I will water it from the bottom, it might be better that way. If you have any suggestions or advice I will appreciate it.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.