AuthorContent

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9281174

I have had this Brug for 7 or 8 years. It was planted in the ground the first year and was not at all happy, so i moved it to a container. It has been happier, but has bloomed strangely and sporadically. It is variegated, including the pods. Last year it put out about a half dozen blooms and I thought i might get an ID...the consensus was that it was a Shredded Brug as the flowers were "torn into strips." This year, it has one bloom...and seems to be a normal bloom...but did not fully open. When I went out today to see if it had opened, the flower was gone...completely, all that was left was the bract and the stamen. The plant is only 3.5 to 4 ft tall. pic1 is this year's bloom. Pic2 is last year's bloom Pic3 shows more leaves Any ideas?

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

September 22, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9282780

I would start a new one they seem to bloom better on new growth 7/8 years its pretty old. Just my thought I am no expert pretty plant

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9282880

It stays out in the winter, sheltered southern exposure, so it does go dormant in the winter...two winters ago it froze back to the ground and returned from the root in Spring.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

September 22, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9282884

Does it give viable seeds?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9282894

No Mittsy, it has never set seeds. I am rather at a loss as to what to do for it...but I do know it is too pretty a plant to chuck..
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

September 22, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9282928

If you ever decide to try and start new plants from cuttings, I would appreciate you starting an additional one for me. My sister has a Datura that overwinters outside here in Brewerton, NY (zone 5) and it is just beautiful. The strange thing is that it sets seeds and some have triangular leaves and some have rounded leaves. The triangular ones have the most beautiful fragrance you could ever hope to smell. The rounded leaves, none. Her plant just showed up growing in her driveway about four years ago. We think a bird or animal dropped it. She was intrigued by it's fast growth so she just let it grow. When the buds started to bloom she couldn't believe how beautiful and fragrant they were. Now everyone wants seeds. She gave me some seeds and I have them growing and blooming but mine have no fragrance. They are producing seeds. It's an interesting experiment. I'm hopeing that this year's seeds will produce some of the fragrant ones for me to try next year.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9282956

Mittsy, if I can ever get a cutting of it to live, I will be happy to share. I have made cuttings of it and the other Brugs I have in the ground...the cuttings from the other brugs do fine, but this one sits there forever, looks like it is going to do something...and then just dies.

some info on Datura

http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura.shtml

This message was edited Sep 22, 2012 10:10 AM
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9285819

Have you had the Brug checked or treated for Broad mites. Looks like one I had a couple of years ago. I got a group of cuttings from random people. They all rooted well but I had a bad case of Broad mites in the Spring. I treated them with Avid but I think there are better cures now.

I love the Datura. Have you seen the Triple yellow and white ones? Beautiful! I haven't planted them in a couple of years and they don't overwinter here.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9285928

Thanks Picabo. I use Bayer 3 in 1 insect control on it as needed which includes a miticide. I have a couple citrus trees, so I do watch for broad mites and spider mites.

I was given an ID of Brugmansia sauveolens Variegata with shredded mutation. For lack of any other data I can find, I will assume that is the answer. Thanks to you for your help.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9310439

For whatever reason, my "variegated shredded brug" has finally decided to come into its' own. It has over a dozen blooms and almost as many buds...but each flower is different. Who knows? I might even get a seed or two...

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl      

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America