Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AlysiaJ
Portland, OR

September 20, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9281486

So I want to start a vegetable garden in my new backyard. However, I live in an old neighborhood in Portland, Oregon, and lead in the soil is a concern. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a soil test. Thus, I'm hoping to build one or two small raised beds soon so I can start with some garlic. My question, then, is should I build the beds with a bottom, like cardboard or landscape fabric? Would that mess up the drainage? Or, should I just build them without bottoms? Do I need to till the soil beneath where I'm building the beds (to improve drainage/not impair plant growth)? And how deep should the beds be? Again, my main goal here is to avoid any potential lead contamination.
Also, what is the best way to fill the beds? We have a large nursery nearby, but am I looking for something other than bags of potting soil? Lastly, how much might it cost for, say, a 3' by 3' bed?
And I suppose, while I'm here, I might as well ask what other things might I be able to plant this fall/winter? (Zone 8A) I have spots with full sun, partial sun, and full shade in my yard.
Thanks so much!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9281567

If you planning on spending $ on building a raised bed anyway, I would strongly suggest paying for a soil test first(and some counties have free soil testings, have you checked with your local extension office?)
IF there is lead, I'm sure it would leach into the raised bed soil, I would do container planting instead

Great chart of what to plant each month by zone
http://www.gardenate.com/?zone=13
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

September 22, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9282983

AlysiaJ,
I lay cardboard down under where I built the beds first to kill the grass and stop weeds. No need to do anything other than that. Make the bed 10-12" deep. A 3x3 foot bed is 9 square feet. I used miracle grow POTTING MIX (not soil!), perlite and some bagged cow manure (moo dirt it is called). I add compost that I make as often as I can. That's all there is to it.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9283384

In Portland? Home to ice fogs? You plan on covering the plants? I remember howling winds streaking thru The Dalles, pushing me. Do you want veggies? Flowers? If veggies add a lot of compost, but I wouldn't plant anything but greens- turnip, mustard, beets, onions, garlic, peas-snow or English peas. Cabbages like the cool weather too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America