Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

frog's eggs in September?

Decatur, GA

I dipped my net into my pond to scoop up some leaf debris from the bottom of my pond (20 inches deep) and got a big bunch of eggs (pretty sure they are frog eggs) with the leaves. I have had singing croaking frogs for the past week or so but didn't thinking anything about it. They must have been doing the crazy thing and have produced eggs!!! Whats going on? In September?
Is this batch of eggs doomed or do some tadpoles survive the winter here in Georgia?
I haven't seen the frogs, unfortunately, to ID them.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I just had to drain the kiddy pool because it too was full of frog eggs. I think everyone's temps are warmer than usual for this time of year, so the froggies will keep going until they croak....ha ha...just a little frog humor there....

Decatur, GA

I like the little frog humor....^_^
So I would guess the frogs are confused and there isn't hope for any survivors through the winter.
Heres a picture from several years ago.

Thumbnail by helenchild

Oh gosh! When I first glanced at the picture, I thought that was a snake at the top! Poor frog! :)

Athens, PA

he is so cute!

Arlington, TX

I had the same issue some weeks back. The tadpoles in the small pond don't show much development yet so I don't think they will survive the winter. I did take some to school and those are monsters with some having two tiny sets of legs already. I think the difference is the tank poles got lots of high protein baby fish food.
C

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Was checking water lillies in birdbath this morning and saw strings of black eggs so I cleaned it all out and put new water in. Hope that won't hurt lillies but the eggs had to go.
Don't need more Cuban frogs.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Cleaned out birdbath again today and it was loaded with tadpoles. Don't know which kind of frog but sure don't want CTF.

Decatur, GA

I don't blame you Bonnie for getting rid of what I understand is a pest (CTF).
My local frogs are still singing amorously in the evenings. They must be off their rockers.

Bonnie....After the last couple of evenings with rain, I have eggs everywhere too. I'm not sure if they are CTF or something else. I try to listen during the rain, to see if I can hear the raspy screams of the CTFs. It breaks my heart to think that I could potentially be eliminating real USA frogs....but can't stand the idea of allowing CTF's to breed all over my back yard. It's a constant battle.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.