Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: frog's eggs in September?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 9, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
helenchild
Decatur, GA

September 21, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9281849

I dipped my net into my pond to scoop up some leaf debris from the bottom of my pond (20 inches deep) and got a big bunch of eggs (pretty sure they are frog eggs) with the leaves. I have had singing croaking frogs for the past week or so but didn't thinking anything about it. They must have been doing the crazy thing and have produced eggs!!! Whats going on? In September?
Is this batch of eggs doomed or do some tadpoles survive the winter here in Georgia?
I haven't seen the frogs, unfortunately, to ID them.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9281887

I just had to drain the kiddy pool because it too was full of frog eggs. I think everyone's temps are warmer than usual for this time of year, so the froggies will keep going until they croak...ha ha...just a little frog humor there...
helenchild
Decatur, GA

September 21, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9281991

I like the little frog humor...:-)
So I would guess the frogs are confused and there isn't hope for any survivors through the winter.
Heres a picture from several years ago.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9282252

Oh gosh! When I first glanced at the picture, I thought that was a snake at the top! Poor frog! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9282440

he is so cute!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

September 22, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9283135

I had the same issue some weeks back. The tadpoles in the small pond don't show much development yet so I don't think they will survive the winter. I did take some to school and those are monsters with some having two tiny sets of legs already. I think the difference is the tank poles got lots of high protein baby fish food.
C
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9288798

Was checking water lillies in birdbath this morning and saw strings of black eggs so I cleaned it all out and put new water in. Hope that won't hurt lillies but the eggs had to go.
Don't need more Cuban frogs.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9297556

Cleaned out birdbath again today and it was loaded with tadpoles. Don't know which kind of frog but sure don't want CTF.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 6, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9297693

I don't blame you Bonnie for getting rid of what I understand is a pest (CTF).
My local frogs are still singing amorously in the evenings. They must be off their rockers.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9297781

Bonnie...After the last couple of evenings with rain, I have eggs everywhere too. I'm not sure if they are CTF or something else. I try to listen during the rain, to see if I can hear the raspy screams of the CTFs. It breaks my heart to think that I could potentially be eliminating real USA frogs...but can't stand the idea of allowing CTF's to breed all over my back yard. It's a constant battle.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America