-
AuthorContent
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9282236

This is depressing I know, but I have to start now. I am taking in the pots which are saturated to get the tubers started to drying and also the dirt. I need the dirt to fill in the holes I have to dig in prep for peonies coming next month. I thought I would post my new re-purposing idea for my sunbeds for spring growing. Also a picture of Neon Splendor I took indoors. Still fighting with a camera that cannot hope to capture the variance in the bloom colors. This one is listed as orange, but as you can see, it is many colors that give it a wonderful depth.

I got some 1/4 heavy mesh 24"x8'. the racks are about 23"w and 4' long. I cut a length then wired it to the frames. I had hoped the tubers wouldn't make the wire sag. Ha. so I have to take up a little slack and get a little more airflow beneath the tubers. Figuring I have 60 to dry, it will probably take both racks with 5 shelves each to do it. Back to Lowe's for more wire mesh. I am only taking off the dirt I can dig out. Figured I could knock off more dirt when it dried, then wash and redry. I have nursery pens to write on each tuber what it is but for now I write it on popsicle sticks and just stick it between the tubers on each plant.

Of the plants I have 31 unique (only one of each) and 9 of which I have multiples, 5 of which are new for me this year. Heaven only knows what I'll end up with if I decide to split them this fall which I usually do. I bought fungicide to "shake and bake' the tubers after they are dry and before wrapping them in saran. Then in a box on a far lower shelving in the garage that should maintain at about 50degrees.

BTW, someone sent me the asters pictured and I love them. I have not had good luck with asters but I am praying these come back next year. They are about 18" tall and the flowers are about 1" across. Anyone have any idea what they are called?

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9289800

Well, I got up this morning to snow falling fairly heavily and the two baby moose sleeping by my deck in the front yard. Of course they snacked before falling asleep. I took a couple of close ups. They are pretty fearless and not aggressive so I could get fairly close. The snow will melt in a few hours after it stops falling.
Xaltd1
SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

October 8, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9299622

Can we see the baby moose pictures????

Looks like a great setup for the tubers.

I don't know my asters from my elbows ;0)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9299708

Sure. I will start up my desktop and put them here.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9299887

Here they are. Must have posted them on another thread.

As you can see I am a terrible photographer. I was also pretty excited. one picture shows them at opposite sides of the lawn. One eating the roses at the mail box and the other eating apples from the neighbors tree.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 2:25 PM

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9301521

I will take the baby moose. They are so cute - you can have the snow.

Is 9/29 early or normal for snow to start falling in Anchorage?
Xaltd1
SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

October 10, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9301569

What a beautiful garden! Why do we (in the lower 48) assume b/c it's Alaska, you must have a forest for a yard?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9301572

Well, some do have forests in their yards. I certainly did in Fairbanks. I lived just out of town back then. 9/29 is way early for permanent snow. It is 46F here now but D says it is turning now and we will see snow in the next few weeks. I am almost ready for it. Just a few more days is all I need. We will shred up my rakings and spread on the garden this weekend come snow or no. Then fertilize my lilies and I am done.

Those cute little moose have feet that can destroy a tuber in one misstep. Much less pull up stuff.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9301621

Oberon46 wrote:Those cute little moose have feet that can destroy a tuber in one misstep. Much less pull up stuff.

Why do I think they can do a lot more damage than just that?

Melissa - I was thinking forests too.

Mary - When do you typically bring in your dahlias? I am generally digging mine up in November.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9301638

Oh yes. They destroy decorative trees, tearing off branches, stripping bark off.

I guess I am a woos. I have mine all tucked in for their winter nap now. You just can't bank on the weather and our weather was crappy. Even snowed one day thought it didn't stay. I pulled them in to dry over a few days in the misting to downright rain. Then worked with them in the garage with trips outside to wash off dirt. Now that this is all done, the weather is lovely today. A crisp 46F with blue skies. I do love fall when it is like this. I guess I could have waited, but it has been steady downpours with temps down to 32F.

I made up for taking them up a bit early but being super careful in bedding them down. 1-2 days drying (after cutting and dividing); dipping in a 10:1 mix of water and bleach; a day to dry from that; then a shake and bake mixture of perlite and a fungicide; Then into the bags of 2/5 potting soil, 2/5 peat moss, 1/5 perlite. I believe that I made a combination of every trick I have read about, although some are mutually exclusive, for instance, what to put them in to over winter. Oh, they are in either gallon or quart bags left open (shaken not stirred lol). I will inspect them every three weeks (Dan does it every two weeks!). Completely dumps each bag. I would say I have about 80 bags.

Since I don't have to dig them up, the peonies are still safe from the cutting knife. Pretty much everything is cut to the ground now. Even though I think the campanula says to leave the foliage on. Keep forgetting in my wacking frenzy. Oh, and I leave about 2" on the bearded iris. I will go take come pictures then you can compare

This message was edited Oct 10, 2012 11:27 AM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9301783

Hmmmm... I have a couple of empty guest rooms in the house and garden beds that could use a good cleaning up! :-)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9301798

LOL. Would love to do it for you but alas I am needed here. But I will root for you in your efforts.
Xaltd1
SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

October 10, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9301805

We're going to have our first frost Sat. AM- SO "THEY" SAY- the weather forecasters haven't been exactly accurate these days. It has been pouring all week- they didn't predict that. Even with temps at night in the 40s, my dahlias look great!!! Some of the cultivars who put on a 8+ blossom-all-at-once show in late August are starting a repeat performance. Monet Glory, Camano Sitka, Keith H. & Blue Boy all were favorites of mine in Aug. and I hope those tons 'o buds get to bloom b/f they get cut down by Jack Frost. Interesting; some cultivars produce 1-4 blossoms consiistantly all season, some have "flushes"- or is this my imagination? I'm going to ask some of the growers. If I'm going to try for another blue ribbon, it helps to have a lot that blossom steadily.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9303177

Well, getting in my dahlias early paid off. It was a hard frost last night and is dropping from 32F to 30F this morning. Ground is frozen down a few inches. It would have been awful trying to get up much less prep all those tubers now. Just trying to get frozen soil off and washing them outside would have been awful. It would have taken me a week or better all the while the ground freezing more and more. I am cutting down my peonies and the last errant plants. the yard looks so desolate. I will be glad when it is covered in snow.
Xaltd1
SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

October 12, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9303195

That's why I LOVE SNOW!!!

It's like starting over with a fresh sheet of paper- we can draw flowers in our imaginations- flowers with no bugs, no weeds, and all blooming perfectly...
Plus I love to ski!!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9303203

I agree. I don't ski but I love to take my dog for long walks.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

October 16, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9687609

When should I, in North Texas, dig my dahlias up?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9687616

Let a frost blacken them, then dig two weeks later.

You do get frost, don't you?
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

October 16, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9687625

yes we get real frost, but they got drowning rain a couple of days ago...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9687869

Dahlias do not like soggy soil. You might want to ask others in your area who grow dahlias and see what they do. How do the dahlias look now? If they're spry and happy then I guess the earth drained well enough for them to survive the rains.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

November 22, 2013
9:04 PM

Post #9714678

Well part of mine got a dry frost, and part were still green when I dug them up yesterday, and carefull packed them in potting soil in individual fish bags. We shall see. If I can find just the right dahlia spot I might repeat the experiment, but where they were this year is not good dahlia territory. The room for tall plants is too shady and wet, the dry and sunny enough puts them out in the wind with no support, and they almost got too wet. I have 5 tubers with at least one tuber, one being only the long skinny tuber, and one with a pair of round ones and 3 skinny ones but alas I cut the round ones with the shovel. I dusted them all with cinnamon for a preventative fungus treatment. (works on aloe)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9714919

Mine are sitting in a tub under the bed in the spare room. I need to do something with them. They should be dry enough by now for me to pack them up and put them away for the winter. Hubs got rid of my box with my vermiculite that I had used the previous year to store them.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9714941

This is the week for boxes, Carolyn! Supermarkets are very busy and those Butterball turkeys must come in nice, clean, big boxes for your dahlias.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9715221

Good point, Arlene. I need to pick up some vermiculite as well.

Today I lifted all my pot dahlias - as soon as they are dried they will need to be put away as well. Looks like I need to take a trip to Lowes.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9715281

Lowe's! Lead us not into temptation!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9715524

pirl wrote:Lowe's! Lead us not into temptation!

Wow, is that ever an understatement!
psudan
Mentor, OH

November 24, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9715590

I had a hard time finding the coarse vermiculite this year. The garden centers I went to only had the seed starting vermiculite which has a lot of soil mixed in. I finally found the coarse type at Lowes. A one and a half cubic foot bag was $15.00-something.

As I was dividing my dahlia tubers, I came across this "what-you-may-call-it" which was growing from the bottom of one big tuber. It went over, under, around and through other tubers in the clump and connected to another big tuber on the other side. I've never seen anything like this before. I couldn't see it serving any purpose so I cut it off.

I've grown this Trelyn Rhiannon dahlia for the past three years. It always has huge tubers but has only produced four new tubers in three years. It seems like many of the ones I really like are very poor tuber makers. I'm hoping this one survives the winter.

Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan         

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9715734

If it had been the stem then I'd have thought it must have hit a rock and turned. Maybe the same thing happened when your "thing" hit something in the soil.

My Raz Ma Taz and Mingus Toni were skimpy on any tubers while others were 2' wide. I'll face the joy of planting those monsters next year. That sounds so far away!
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

November 24, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9715758

2 ft wide tubers? Is there a diagram on what a dahlia bulb should look like? Because mine range from 2 round "potatoes" with 3 elongated "sweet potatoes" about 5 inches long, to just a "sweet potato" small, and nothing else...

I don't think I did this right
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9715889

I'm the worst at demonstrating but here's a photo of La Luna, thanks to Mary, and it shows what our aim is when reducing the size of a clump. I'll be a failure at this forever!

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

November 26, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9717229

how tall is that tuber?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9717240

I didn't measure but size doesn't matter! It just has to have a eye attached at the collar where it joins the stem. Tubers 3" long provide big lush plants.
psudan
Mentor, OH

November 26, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9717246

It's a little hard to believe the size of the plants the little peanut-sized tubers can produce, even though I've seen it happen many times. Also hard to believe the size of some of the clumps of tubers when digging in the Fall. Many times I have underestimated the potential growth of them and even though I start digging well away from the stalk, I have cut many tubers in half. The small tubers always seem to catch up to the bigger ones very quickly.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9717256

Even seed grown dahlias end up with big lush tubers.

So are you having mashed tubers with the turkey, Dan? Or will it be venison?
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

November 26, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9717265

hahaha. ok, My big lush dahlias were anything but. I think I have research to do, including how to identify an "eye"
psudan
Mentor, OH

November 26, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9717272

It's beginning to look like the venison will have to wait until I hit the next one with my car. lol I'm in a bad slump. After taking between 70-80 deer with my bow, I thought this was supposed to get easier. NOT!!

The size of some of those tubers I cut into and ruined almost had me thinking about that recipe for dahlia bread. Again, ... NOT!! lol Anyone for dahlia turkey stuffing?
psudan
Mentor, OH

November 26, 2013
9:22 PM

Post #9717276

Gypsi, the eyes are not always visible at digging time. The ones in the photo that I've circled were some of the exceptions. The majority of my tubers showed no eyes at all. I still cut off the healthy looking ones with a piece of the collar and in the Spring most have always sprouted. Even the eyes that are visible now will often disappear during storage only to re-appear in the Spring when exposed to light and warmth. I cringe when I see instructions on the internet advising to throw away tubers that don't show eyes. There's plenty of time to throw them away later if they don't sprout. Give 'em a chance!

Thumbnail by psudan

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2013
9:35 PM

Post #9717283

I have a bunch of tubers with, not only eyes, but growth. Now if I could just keep them healthy. Yours, Dan, are amazing. So back to vermiculite, forget the fungicide. All it did was coat the tubers and hold in moisture and rot. I checked them today and there was still moisture in the bags so opened them all up to dry.

Did I mention I was trying to trade salmon for bear. Not sure if it will go. I wanted ribs not burgher. Yuk. Bear burgher.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2013
7:37 AM

Post #9717441

Gypsi and I are the ones who need "eye" training. I've been growing dahlias for years and still can't spot them so I save the entire clump and that takes more time and more space. At least, with Dan's help, I've learned I can do without the ones that dangle and aren't attached to the collar in any way.

It sounds like your car is better at getting the deer than the bow and arrow!

I'll take a pass on the dahlia stuffing and the bear burgher while I enjoy the Prime Ribs and Smitty may get the bones.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9717450

Same you you Arlene and all DG's present and those not.
psudan
Mentor, OH

November 27, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9717833

Every Winter I go back many pages on the dahlia forum to see photos and get ideas for any new dahlias I may want to grow the following year. I recently saw a thread from May, 2005 in which our very own Arlene (pirl) seems to have initiated the idea of this dahlia forum rather than lumping dahlias in with the "bulb" or "annual" forums. Great work, Arlene! I thank you and offer you a tip of the hat and an Alpen Pauline. lol

I hope everyone on DG has a happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday. May God bless.

Thumbnail by psudan

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9717955

Thanks, Dan! I had no idea that I was the instigator. Thanks for the tip of the hat. Today, with the wind that's blowing, I'll need to hold on to that hat.

You're such a good guy, Dan, and so helpful to all of us. We can thank you for our tuber survival but I'll stick to traditional stuffing today - no dahlia tubers.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Dan. You're doubly Bodacious.

Thumbnail by pirl

psudan
Mentor, OH

November 28, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9718102

I'm blushing. lol Thank you and you are a Peach Delight! Happy Thanksgiving!

Thumbnail by psudan

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9718141

Oh, I have nothing to offer; I am speechless in the face of such symmetry of words and art. But I do wish you both a wonderful peaceful (less wind please) warm congenial Thanksgiving. Did I miss anything? Being a bit of an agnostic offering blessings might bring down the wrath of God. lol But I am projecting warm caring thoughts for all I am worth.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9718307

That's a first for being called Peach Delight and I love it.

The wind did die down here (finally!) but it was a very cold, crisp and yet sunny day. Have no fear, Mary, I'll get Mother Dorothy to stand between you and God!

I had my snuggling time with Robert today and loved every minute of it.

Thumbnail by pirl

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9718325

He is so adorable and look at those dimples. Would love to have a cute one like that to hold and snuggle with. Not likely to happen any time soon. Or ever if my dear granddaughter has a brain in her head. lol
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

November 30, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9718904

Happy late Thanksgiving. I think Dahlias are difficult enough and worthy enough to have their own forum. Somewhere in my 1600 images I have a dahlia photo, so for today, I'll just try the hat tip and say thank you. Esp for eye pics
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9718906

This is the Dahlia Forum, Gypsi. We're thankful we have one! We just need all dahlia lovers to join and participate in the threads.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9718944

Yeah. We know you are out there -- come forward and be counted. And bring pictures... :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9718945

Did anyone read the tip over on ATP about digging and storing dahlia tubers.

I am sure everyone here has their own method, but I have one that has been great. After digging, cleaning and dividing, I put the tubers in bags of various sizes, either Ziploc bags or old bread bags, identify them, then cover the tubers with extra dry Pro-Mix and seal the bag. They go in the coldest corner of the cellar, and my success rate has been virtually 100% for many years.

Sounds a little like Dan's system. Claims 100% success. If only...Guess that will be the new method to try next year
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9718949

The part about "extra dry" and "seal the bag" is the opposite of what I do. I use a very slightly dampened medium and never seal the bag.

I'll wait for a very sunny day in late January to give the dahlias their first check-up.

La Luna is perfect. Thank you so much.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9719038

pirl wrote:The part about "extra dry" and "seal the bag" is the opposite of what I do. I use a very slightly dampened medium and never seal the bag.

I'll wait for a very sunny day in late January to give the dahlias their first check-up.

La Luna is perfect. Thank you so much.

This is pretty much what I do as well. I try to check my tubers once a month - but I don't usually get to them that often.

Right now, they are sitting in a tub in my front bedroom. I lifted them late and have been waiting for them to dry. I even had to shove the tub under the bed when we had the directv guy here to put in new dvrs'. Time for me to go and package them up for their winter's nap.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2013
10:45 PM

Post #9719284

I tired the damp medium but guess the tubers were too wet to start with. Rot all over. I think I got carried away with the dry, dip in bleach, shake and bake in fungicide part. They simply were not dry enough.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9719327

Some of mine almost had to get frozen as they were outside, upside down, draining for a week in some cases. I'll check in another two weeks and see how they fared. If they're okay I won't check again until I get tempted to order more.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9719330

Oberon46 wrote:I tired the damp medium but guess the tubers were too wet to start with. Rot all over. I think I got carried away with the dry, dip in bleach, shake and bake in fungicide part. They simply were not dry enough.

I don't know if others go through all of that Mary. I don't. I lift them and they sit in a large tub for a bit, until dry, then I bag them in vermiculite. If some of the tubers are starting to shrivel I spray them with a mister. The bags are not sealed completely as the tubers need to breathe.

Then the tubers are put into my attic, just where the stairs come up to the floor. This way, the heat from the second floor is enough to keep them from freezing.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9719605

Sometimes I think it is location, location, location. Different places have different humidity levels. The air dries faster due to cold or holds more humidity due to warmer temps. Compound that with different places to store: attics, basements, garages, crawlspaces. Media: peat, vermiculite, wood shavings etc. It all plays into a good or bad experience. I was told not to use vermiculite as it dries them out too much. So do you dump them out spray them then put them back in? By far I have more trouble with rot than drying out too much. And many of you say you let them dry for days or a week. I was told to only dry for one or two days. Course, that depends on how wet they are, how much soil remains around the tubers (if you don't cut them up that is a problem as the soil holds moisture); how much you wash them. Jeepers. Looking at Dan's tubers you would want to just bake them, slice them, and add butter so perfectly dry and plump they look.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9719660

Since I didn't see any evidence of water dripping out of them (except for Kalinka) I think I'll only leave them upside down for one day, maybe two, next year. I did leave the soil that wouldn't shake off, on some of them so they just got dry peat moss.

I've been making a list for 2014. I should know better!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9719700

Mary - I do take them out of their bags, look at them and then mist them and put them back into the bags and back into the attic.

I had heard that peat moss dries out the tubers, however my MIL has used peat moss for many years without a problem.

I have not had much in the way of loses during the winter, but have had loses during the growing seasons from time to time.

psudan
Mentor, OH

December 1, 2013
9:30 PM

Post #9719842

I had so many plants this year that the process of digging, washing, drying and dividing was done over a three or four day period. After washing, I cut off the remainder of the stalk I had been using as a handle. I labeled them, turned them upside down on newspapers and put them into the tool shed to dry. Each night I took out the previous day's batch to divide. I don't like to dry them more than a day or two, three at the most if I get behind. I find them "sooooo" much easier to cut and work with if they are not too dry. After dividing I put them into zip locks and let the cuts heal over a little overnight. The next day the cut areas are dusted with garden sulphur and put back into the zip locks with vermiculite.

I bought a big bag of coarse vermiculite to put in the boxes of tubers I mailed to some friends and family. Since I didn't have any of the potting soil mixture I normally store in I went ahead and used the vermiculite. If this doesn't work I may be kicking myself next Spring. My friends always use it. I read on another forum where Ted Kennedy of Hollyhill says vermiculite is the best storage medium although he doesn't use it (??).

One thing to remember is that probably no two of us on this forum have the exact same storing conditions as far as temps and humidity levels. Anything you read about storage needs to be tweaked to your given area. When you find a method that works... stay with it. The one method I won't use again is the saran wrap. I don't think there is very much leeway or wiggle room as far as dryness/dampness when the tubers are wrapped. I have had very mixed results (50/50) and won't try again. Also, I don't want to unwrap and re-wrap the tubers each time I check them during the Winter. If it weren't for the fact that I have so many, I'd take the easy way out and buy new ones in the Spring. No muss, no fuss. lol
psudan
Mentor, OH

December 1, 2013
9:43 PM

Post #9719846

Arlene, Robert is an absolutely beautiful baby. I know Grandma had at least one thing to be thankful for at Thanksgiving this year.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, PLEASE, PLEASE, no one mention turkey or pumpkin pie for at least a while. I felt so guilty I went to the beach today and walked/jogged a few miles. I was feeling more plump than a dahlia tuber. lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9719993

The draining of the tubers went fine until I dug more and more, then I fell behind. I should have taken the first ones and bagged them before I began digging on the next batch. It's easy to find our faults once the event has passed.

Now we have to find out what Ted Kennedy of Hollyhill uses for storage! One year I just dug and bagged, no draining, no medium. They did better than any other storage method I tried but then I had them downstairs and now I view the cellar/basement as a dungeon and I don't go down there.

I totally agree about buying new and not going through the work of digging and storing. It sounds too tempting. Would the dahlias just turn to mush? I'd be hesitant to dig in the same spots and find bugs and worms feasting on the tubers...sounds too yucky.

Yes, Dan, I'm one very fortunate Grandma. As we sat down to eat Robert started fussing so I picked him up for more snuggling time. I enjoyed every minute. I can eat anytime but I can't hold him anytime. So I won't mention the bird or that squash pie but we did enjoy the caramel flan I made in honor and in thanks for my wonderful daughter-in-law, Rowena.

You're funny, Dan. I can see you jogging on the beach with bags of dahlias!

Have you "just looked" at any dahlia sites? I've been on Accent and found some but common sense tells me to go slowly and not leap into buying...yet. The question of where to plant them, along with the thought of the 2014 big dahlia dig, should help control my dahlia urges.

I love Corralitos but they're more tempting than Godiva!
psudan
Mentor, OH

December 2, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9720022

Jogging is not one of my favorite pastimes. Sometimes I just feel the need. My brother is deeply involved in the "marathon" jogs. These are 100 milers. I think the most he has run is "only" 80-something miles. He's had issues with his knees and ankles. Recently, he started at 5:00 am and ran until 9:00 pm. To me that's a little insane, but I wish I could do it. I told him I get tired driving 80 miles. lol

The only dahlia sites or photos I've been looking at is right here on DG. I think it was Mary who mentioned that some of the sellers seem to use enhanced photos in their catalogs. I just feel like the "truest" images you will see are the photos posted by everyday gardeners like us. When you have time, go back to the beginning of the dahlia forum pages and you'll see what I mean. The only problem is that some cameras don't capture the colors exactly. Mine cameras are not exact with red or purple colors but I can live with that. I'm not a photog and the cameras have more ability than me. I'll pick my nephew's brain about the settings.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9720087

You do make me smile. Now 80 miles of driving is too much for us as well, unless we're on vacation. No wonder your brother has knee and ankle problems with all that running! How well does he do digging dahlias?

The color issue does bother me but Ken's hand (or face in some cases) on Accent dahlias gives me faith that the colors are true. If his hand looked blue or yellow I'd have a problem! Then there's the camera issue and the monitor problem but I trust Accent and most dahlia sites MUCH more than any daylily sites.

I've used the screen capture for so many DG photos, mainly by Poochella, so I can compare against what I see online.

Free ad for Accent Dahlias - these are photos from the site! See Ken's hand in each photo? I trust him completely.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl         

psudan
Mentor, OH

December 2, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9720099

I'm not sure Bro knows what a dahlia is other than the name of the street next to mine. lol

I've had good luck ordering from Accent. Nice looking tubers that have never failed to grow.

Most of the catalog photos that looked enhanced to me were always the ones with a black background. Something about that makes the colors look a little too bright and sometimes disappointment occurs at bloom time.

I love the one photo of the pink and white dahlias when you first go on Accent's website. I think it's called Sir Alf Ramsey or ??? I once read on the internet that someone had grown one of those that was 17" across. Is that even possible?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9720111

Your brother probably enjoys his running as we enjoy our plants. Did you order many reblooming irises, Dan?

Same experience with Accent here. Always reliable and that means more than ever since I had four dahlias, from another source, that didn't send up any growth. Maybe there's someone else who can't identify an eye, other than me!

I totally agree, Dan. That black background is what got me to order Fidalgo Julie. It was pretty but no match for that photo.

Though I've never seen any 17" dahlia, I have no doubt that Ken could make it happen. Since I don't even disbud I can't expect huge flowers.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl      

psudan
Mentor, OH

December 2, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9720182

Your Fidalgo Julie is very pretty. You can't be disappointed with that one. I don't see a great deal of difference between yours and theirs except the background. I've often wondered whether or not some of those catalog photos are actually artificial flowers. Some look just a little too perfect.

I received a FJ as a freebie this Spring from Sea-Tac. I was out of room at the time and have forgotten who I gave it to.

I only bought 16-18 irises. That's all I had room for. I bought them to replace one bed of lilies I gave away to spite the deer. Sorry Rudolph!

I just finished planting about six dozen hyacinths and around 300 daffs. By the end I wanted to just dump the box of bulbs into the hole. I don't even want to see another shovel until next Spring.

On a bad note, I walked around the side of my shed and found three dahlia clumps on the ground that I had forgotten. No big deal as they were ones I had multiples of.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9720204

Next time around I'll investigate more and take fewer chances. I do believe the photos when they're taken in a garden setting (like Accent Dahlias does mostly) but those individual shots with the black background are verboten now when I look.

Sure, sure. You're "sorry, Rudolph" just seems a tad insincere and I don't blame you.

Last year at this time I was in the midst of planting 490 allium so I know how you feel!

Glad you had extras!

Jack was going to the dump today and came in to ask me what type of yard waste was in "those three bags at the rear of the garage. Glad I was sitting down: they are the dahlias! I almost had a free pass to shop 'til I dropped.
psudan
Mentor, OH

December 2, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9720245

I remember watching a neighbor a few years ago, on his knees, starting to plant several boxes of tulips one at a time with a short bulb planter. I thought "OMG"! My way may not be the best way but I dig rectangular trenches about 2'x4' and 5" or 6" deep. I plant 40 or 50 daffs at a time. Throw the dirt back on and you're done. It doesn't take very long to plant several hundred that way. How do you plant those alliums?

If you had just gone ahead and let Jack throw those tubers away you could have had one heck of a dahlia shopping spree next Spring without all the fuss of worrying with and babysitting the tubers all Winter. I can just hear you saying next Spring, "You threw away what"!! and acting all surprised. lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9720255

I planted the allium just as you plant your tulips - one big hole (sometimes the tiny allium don't even need a big hole) and then the soil goes back on top. The only ones that got separate holes were the Fireworks (Schubertii) since they have a wide spread but I only had 10 to plant. Two are shown on the photo (left side).

I could have but then all my work on color echoes and color harmony would be lost!

Thumbnail by pirl

psudan
Mentor, OH

December 2, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9720295

That is a beautiful plant. I had a couple allium a few years ago. They were purple and 3" in diameter. I think a squirrel stole bulbs from a neighbor and planted them here. We hadn't had them before and haven't had them since.

Back in October, my uncle in Virginia called and asked if I had ever tried growing Yellow Ladyslipper. I had no idea what it was. He told me it was a type of wild orchid that grows in the mountain down there. He said he would bring some the next time he came up. I looked them up on the internet and first picture I saw was from a company in North Carolina that sells them. I scrolled down and found that a 3 bud bareroot clump was $125.00! He has a friend who lives close to me who goes to Va. every year to deer hunt. He called me last week and told me he had brought back my flower and a big bag of the soil it grew in. I picked it up last Wednesday and after shoveling some snow and cracking a little ice, I got it planted. When I told my uncle the price I saw he said since the one he sent had 5 buds it looks like I owe him about $200.00. I said just wait until you see the price of the dahlia tubers I send you next spring. lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9720335

Might be that your allium were dropped by birds and you may not have realized they were there at the time of spring or fall clean-up. I know I have one baby Japanese maple but forgot exactly where it is but I'll bet it's close to where the guys will be putting up the new deer fencing so it will get stomped on and perish...or have a very unusual form.

You made a killing! You can tell your good uncle that he did exceptionally well by giving you the soil it grew in as well as the clump. That's the ideal way to start anything found in areas such as you mentioned.

LOL is right! That's a good one, Dan!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2014
8:17 PM

Post #9744316

Looks like some warm and rainy weather is coming to various parts of the nation. I'll be sitting on the garage floor checking my dahlia tubers before I go ahead and order any more.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2014
8:54 AM

Post #9744555

I wish you luck with both hands fingers crossed. I checked again a few days ago (when Damien moved our wine to the crawl space to assist our New Year's resolution to abstain for a while) and I was so disgusted I simply tossed the rotten ones to the other side of a concrete footing as I inspected. I added wood shavings to those that looked like they might make it but still had moisture.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2014
9:06 AM

Post #9744567

Uh oh! Doesn't sound good for the wine industry but might be good for the dahlia business.

Look here (Dan's suggestion) for dahlias at $2.00 each if there are any left...but there should be.

http://lowesdahlias.com/Lowe's Dahlia Farm 2.htm
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2014
11:14 AM

Post #9744629

Now, now. You should see it as a challenge to keep the profit levels up on wine sales until we decide to dive back in. Oooohhhh. That had a bad sound both ways. lol

I actually did go and buy 7 or so dahlias from Lowe's. I google earth'd his place and it looks like he is an individual who has a fairly small dahlia plot in his back yard. Fine with me. Glad to contribute to his venture as long as the tubers are healthy and productive. He has an 'inventory' listed but they are still sort of 'in production' not ready for sale. As they multiply I suspect he will add them to his for sale list. Judging by his back yard size he can expand quite a bit as they multiple and he finds the winners for his customers.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2014
11:40 AM

Post #9744644

Don't count on me to keep up the wine sales - that's Jack's challenge.

I'm so glad you ordered from Lowes! Now I'll have to put in and order as well. How I wish he had the unavailable ones but I guess that will come in time.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2014
1:48 PM

Post #9744758

For those late tuners in, the Lowe's we speak of (see Dan's email above) is not the box store but rather an individual in Washington State.

http://lowesdahlias.com/Lowe's Dahlia Farm 2.htm

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2014
2:55 PM

Post #9744807

Thanks, Mary!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2014
6:46 AM

Post #9756511

Time for True Confessions - a magazine of the 50's.

Which dahlias have we all ordered?

I'm ready to order from two places and these will be part of my order.

Thumbnail by pirl

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2014
8:44 AM

Post #9756602

As soon as I have finished my morning coffee, read a little romance, English history of WWII (diary from 10 Downing Street - Churchill's male secretary) , communed with my body as to what IT would like to do today, girded for the treadmill as not having an alcoholic beverage for a month hasn't done squat to reduce my weight (TMI?) I will go get my lists. Ordered from a couple of places.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2014
9:11 AM

Post #9756622

You are ambitious. I don't have any grand plans but I just might check the dahlias. The garage isn't as cold as it was yesterday.

Then it will be back to cleaning the library shelves in the living room. Be still my heart!

I did come across a tiny cookbook from Alaska! No cookbooks for dahlias.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2014
9:32 AM

Post #9756640

Now that is ambition. Dusting book shelves!!!??? I can't bring myself to dust table tops that so very much need it. My dahlia tubers continue to rot. I checked again yesterday. I am thoroughly disgusted and won't look again til I get back in May. Will be gone April 10 to May 3. Everything will start late except maybe some peppers and tomato plants. Haven't decided what to do with the dahlias. Might lay them in soil, might not. Dan sent some wonderful tubers though and I know they will be just fine as they look wonderful.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2014
10:14 AM

Post #9756676

It's fear of what I might find that keeps me from checking the dahlias so I may have to bribe myself with hot coffee as a reward.

Still have to start a vat of pea soup for Wednesday night's dinner. Life is just so thrilling in winter.

Speaking of food, I wonder how Dan is coping with his frigid temperatures this winter.
psudan
Mentor, OH

January 27, 2014
11:14 AM

Post #9756709

Hi, I'm coping just fine except my back is getting a workout shoveling Global Warming darn near every blessed day. Our forecast high tomorrow is one degree with below zero temps the next couple nights. You know it's bad when you have to wait for it to warm up so you can go ice fishing. I just read that 2013 was one of the warmest on record. My question is ...WHERE??? I remember more than a few days this summer that I wore a sweater or light jacket at the beach. I can't remember doing that before.

I've ordered 14 tubers so far. Those were the ones from Lowes Dahlias. They were a combination of Canby Centennial, Kidd's Climax, Elma Elizabeth. Embrace, Zorro, and Ivory Palaces. I have a few Zorros if they survive storage but several people have asked for a tuber and I plan to plant several myself. At $2.00 you can't beat the price. I'm going to hold off ordering any more tubers until I see how mine survive. There will be a dahlia society sale a few miles from here this April (?) and I want to see what they have. I also plan to order a few from some of the sellers who send clumps rather than individual tubers. It's surprising how many tubers you can get sometimes from one clump. Several times I have gotten three.

My stored tubers look good so far. There was a small amount of shriveling but mostly on the small tubers that don't usually survive anyway. At least, no rotting so far. My fingers will stay crossed the next couple months.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2014
12:34 PM

Post #9756766

Sure, that Global Warming is a back killer with the snow you've had. Odd that the polar bear club didn't hold its usual swim since it's too cold but Alaska delayed the Iditarod because they're too warm. Gore better get the story straight.

We heard the exact same thing but that was world wide temperature at around 53 degrees, right? Certainly not here in the USA.

We normally go to the beach in winter on a regular day but we're just not motivated in below freezing temperatures.

All my Vancouvers and so many others are squishy, black, smelly and are heading to the dump. Out of three huge bags one bag survived okay but the bigtime survivor, in perfect shape is...

LA LUNA.

Thanks again, Mary, but if you'd like it back I'll gladly send it to you when the weather warms up! I kept it in the box it arrived in and it's too good to be true.

I have to try to be positive and will check out all Home Depot, Lowe's and our new Walmart have come March.

If I had kept them in the basement (around 60) they'd have fared better but the bags were way too heavy for me. Live and learn the hard way.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2014
12:52 PM

Post #9756788

I am thrilled that LaLuna has survived. I was so humiliated after all my bragging about how huge all the flowers were and how much I could share. Humph. Anyway, I have a few of LL that may make it yet. I tried adding wood shavings to absorb moisture but I am very sure that I simply dug too soon and stored too soon.

Well, I found one order from Lowe's: Keith H, Elma Elizabeth, Todd H, Embrace, Puget Sunshine, Puget Sparkle, Kaame Martin Swan.

From the Dahlia Barn: Amber Queen, Cherry Drop, Delicado, Hollyhill Candystrip, Red Hat and White Fawn.

From Swan Island: Bumble Rumble, and Sisa

Lynch Creek: Cafe au Lait, Mardy Gras and Valley Porcupine.

Peonies of course from Hidden Springs: Chocolate Soldier, Color Magnet, Green Lotus.

I don't see any lilies though.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2014
2:58 PM

Post #9756886

Here's the co-op for lilies:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1348693/

You placed your share of orders to keep the economy going!

I really feel the garage was too cold despite what the thermometer said...42 degrees inside the bag.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2014
3:05 PM

Post #9756894

Oh yeah. Thanks Arlene. Just what I need is more ordering.. lol. I didn't realize how many I had ordered until the made the list above. Holy cow. But I will sneak a peak at the lily coop.

Okay. Sneaked look over. Nothing that calls out to me. I would love the doubles but I have had no luck with them. Indeed I sent mine off to a DG friend who does very well with them and they have done so for her.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2014
4:40 PM

Post #9756936

The doubles never thrilled me. I do love Salmon Star and bought 10 of them along with 40 others.

Now I get a chance to look at my old favorite dahlias! There's always a bright side!

Some of the ones I kept have tiny sprouts! We'll see what happens with them once they're downstairs.

Still working on the books! The library second hand shop will have to make room for 60 cookbooks and many more books of Jack's.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2014
6:00 PM

Post #9756982

Sounds like my books. I start out buying everything by a particular author then lose interest. Now that I have gone more into history, and mostly used books, I am dumping my popular paperbacks. Unfortunately Damien had a custom built shelf put in just for my paperbacks in addition to the regular library shelves. I should never have had a counter built in under the regular bookshelves on each side of the fireplace. It does hold a lot of stuff but mostly stuff I should just pitch. I should have had the shelves go to the floor like I originally wanted. I am running out of space and will have to start laying the history books on their sides on the pocket book shelves. Okay I guess. It is a really small room. I just received B&D Lilies catalog. Oh I do love lilies. Not the least because they are so trouble free here. Unless you're and idiot and over water them too early in the spring and rot them!! Grrrrr. Anyway, I may give in and order more. I would like to try the doubles again. Maybe in a different place.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2014
6:51 PM

Post #9756993

It's the stuff we should both just pitch that makes the mess. Not much has gone to garbage but the stacks for the library are huge.

B & D has great photos but many dark ones are downright lies. Maybe they are forced to use the stock photos but I hate paying their prices and not getting lilies as shown in their photos.

I did order Dizzy since the ones I had died. This time I'll put a cup of gravel under each one and hope for the best. Our Fata Morgana and Eloide (?sp) are fine but I have enough of them.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2014
7:09 PM

Post #9757006

I have a fair number of dark ones like Dimension. Guess I hadn't noticed color differences as I tend to like the yellow, white or gold ones best. I did see they had a new one that looks very much like Bonbini that I rotted last year. I think they just keep crossing the ones they have and come up with slightly different ones to sell as NEW for high prices. I guess I could buy some from OHG but their prices are really about as high. Where do you get yours from? I really am lazy about flowers. There is little I spend on except books and flowers and while I do buy from Alibris on line (used books) and Title Wave locally (also used) if I really want a book I just buy it. But many that I look for as a result of reading another are not newly published. And I mostly don't care what I pay for my flowers. But if you know of somewhere else that would have nice lilies I would love to look.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2014
8:00 PM

Post #9757062

This time around I bought Landini from Bert (link given above). His lilies are around $1.00 per bulb so I can splurge all I want. I bought Salmon Star, Red Dutch, Push Off, Lollypop, Cancun, Black Spider. They may get potted until they bloom and then I can place them as I go through my color harmony angst again.

Black Beauty at B & D is $6.95 ($1.00 with Bert)
Salmon Star, Casablanca, and another one I spotted and now can't recall the name, are $5.95, $1.00 with Bert. That's a huge difference.

I've bought so many books from Alibris! I can't recall the last time I paid full price for a book. On Cape Cod all the flea markets have paperbacks at $1.00 each and we usually buy a dozen or two and do get to read some as we sit on the porch relaxing.
psudan
Mentor, OH

January 27, 2014
8:28 PM

Post #9757074

Your bookshelves sound like mine. I have probably ordered a couple hundred books for Amazon the past few years. It's surprising the number of like-new books I have bought for less than a dollar, many for one penny. Of course, there is a shipping charge of $3.99 but still cheaper than Borders or the Christian book stores. They can't be making much on the shipping so why bother selling something for a penny. Much easier to give away or throw away. I recently received a book I had ordered for 50 cents and shipping. When it arrived I looked at the mailing envelope and the vendor had paid $5.62 postage. That doesn't seem like a very profitable money making operation. lol

I have a Kindle but the print version is usually much cheaper even with postage. The only advantage I see with Kindle is that you have the book down loaded about one second after you hit the order button. Isn't technology wonderful, although sometimes expensive.

I have to occasionally give away a lot of books to family and friends to make room for new additions. I have donated many to the Church although they don't seem to want the books about snake handling churches. Go figure! lol

Arlene, I just finished a book by Garrison Keillor. And yes, he is very political.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2014
6:06 AM

Post #9757259

It does seem to be a very odd way to do business! Jack was a bank president and previously had been the treasurer. I'll have to ask him how losing money on each book could possibly support the business.

My daughter is a Kindle person; we aren't. I do like the feel of a book and do enjoy turning pages.

Hmmm - some kind of prim and proper church if they won't take the snake handling churches! LOL

We give them to the library cottage (used books) or the thrift shop. My parents used to go to the laundromat/library. People would drop off books and others would read them and return them.

I do have bags packed with cookbooks for both of my kids. Kevin gets the pasta and Kathy gets the baking! DIL gets the Asian and SIL gets anything to do with the science of food. Still have over 60 for the library.

Yes, he is. I wish they'd all keep that side private - that goes for all "celebrities".

Wouldn't you love to know the favorite books of Miley Cyrus, Lindsay Lohan and Justin Bieber?
psudan
Mentor, OH

January 28, 2014
6:48 AM

Post #9757292

I'd have a hard time believing Cyrus, Bieber or Lohan (or is it Lowlife) has ever opened a book. Such a shame that so many kids look at them as idols. I remember reading that the agent or manager of a rap star had encouraged him to intentionally get caught on a gun charge because it would make him look "cooler" and more popular. OMG!

I'm not really crazy about the idea of Kindles. Not to mention a bit of eye strain. I also like the feel of having the actual book. I like to give books away after I finish them. I've always considered a book too valuable to be read by only one person.

The price of some new books can be staggering. I guess sometimes we can't wait to read a new one and we go ahead and pay cover price. I once bought a new release at the Christian book store for $24. Within a year, I saw it on Amazon for a little over a dollar. That's just the cost of having it NOW! LOL

The funniest thing I've seen while ordering from Amazon was when my cousin had me order a Living Bible for him. It cost a penny and looked like it had never been opened. When he opened it, inside were at least a dozen homemade "coupons" some lady had made for her husband or boyfriend. They included a free massage, a free wild weekend, etc. I told him I wasn't sure they were redeemable. lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2014
7:28 AM

Post #9757317

Precisely why I mentioned their names. Bieber quit school at 12 to pursue his "career" and never did go to high school or college. Amazing what they are told to do in the name of popularity.

I could almost cry when I see books in the landfill. So many people need to think of others who could enjoy the books. They weren't made for trash...or burning!

My daughter is the NOW person while I'm the one to wait for the price to drop or put my name on the list at the library.

That's funny about the coupons in the Bible. I once read a story about a college grad who had told his dad he wanted a new car for graduation but got a Bible from his dad instead of the car. Needless to say, he never opened the Bible and the father knew it. When he was much older he was discarding the Bible and the check for the new car fell out. He should have "honored thy father" and read the Bible!

Here's a cute set of photos. I really enjoyed them - no kids, just seniors!
http://www.today.com/slideshow/news/nursing-home-54154424
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2014
8:51 AM

Post #9757378

Hi you all, greetings from Ga. where everything stops the day before it snows. It sopposed to snow tonight, but everything been stopped from schools to churches, even my very important Wed. night dinner. Yippy, I have the whole week off. I have been following you all on the Dahlia and Clematis sites, but it is so drab in my garden I did't have a nice thing to add. I have not taken care of my garden as I should, so now I wonder what will survive this third wave of freezing days. Mybe they are tough like me, just get over all kind of hardships. One thing I did is that I ordered some short dahlias from Swan and Dan, found a Dahlia named "my Beverly", for my friend that just lost her doughter to cancer her name was Beverly, so I will planted for her in the Spring. Some of the others are mostly short red dahlias, I already have some tall white dahlias. Today I am being lazy, fed my birds and dog, will probobly gain few pound from eating all week, but life is good. Etelka
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2014
8:55 AM

Post #9757379

This is Dahlia My Beverly, I orderd 3, one for me and two for my friend and the other surviving daughter.

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2014
9:23 AM

Post #9757396

So pretty, Etelka.

My reward for cleaning all the bookcases is that I'll order my favorites...again. That won't stop me from looking at the big box stores. It's become a spring rite.
psudan
Mentor, OH

January 28, 2014
10:18 AM

Post #9757454

Arlene, those were great photos, especially the baby pictures. It's impossible to make a baby picture that's not cute.

Etelka, that is so nice of you to think about your friend and all she's gone through losing her daughter. We've lost several people in our family to cancer and also a few friends. I know the pain of the loss. Some families seem to have more than their share of cancer. We've been lucky I guess considering the large size of our family. People sometimes do things to up the odds. I read that one of the original Marlboro men from the old t.v. ads just passed away. The obit said he traveled the country trying to encourage people to stop smoking. All the while he was still smoking three packs a day.
My Beverly is a beautiful dahlia (aren't they all) that I had a few years ago. I gave the tubers to a friend. I don't know if she still has it.

I liked the story of the father putting the check in the Bible. It reminds me of a story a lady told me years ago. She was looking for the perfect place to hide her "mad" money. She decided to put it in her Bible because her husband would never touch the Bible long enough to look in it. lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2014
11:22 AM

Post #9757487

Those women and men must have had many laughs during the photo shoots!

Death comes in strange ways. I'd like to believe the pope who said that anytime is a good time to die and yet when young lives are snuffed out I do have to wonder if that was designed by God.

That's funny, Dan.

My husband roared over your back hurting from shoveling the Global Warming. Just turn on a curly fluorescent and read a good book!

I did finish the living room book project but now the living room itself is a wreck with odds and ends from cleaning. On the bright side I found an unused photo album and a stack of photos from the garden tour that we were part of, so I filled the album and can show it to people who want to ooh and aah out of courtesy. That tour was 1998 - someday I'll get to the 2005 tour! It's hard to believe how much the gardens have changed!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2014
11:50 AM

Post #9757496

Speeking of Kindle, I left a large church because they where getting to Jazzy for me, I am a traditional person. It was to much drumms and modern hyms. Last two years I have been atteding a neighborhood traditional church where we still sang out of the hyms books. Now the preacher started preaching out of the Kindle or something simmilar. He is not to good at it, looses his place and it is anoing. The membership is down, but I keep hoping something will change. Eather I am to critical or he is not computer savy. Some days I just feel like staying home.
Back to the flowers, I will dig up my dahlias that I have now and hoping I can get them closer to the fence since they are so tall. How can you incourage the plant to get bushy instead of tall. Etelka
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2014
12:46 PM

Post #9757529

Wait til it gets three sets of leaves and pinch the center. Don't do it too soon or it will cleave in half at the pinch and split.

I just gave in and ordered more lilies from Faraway. What the heck. I replaced a few I rotted this spring like Gizmo, Playtime, Conc d'Or, and ordered some new ones. \

I ordered some dahlias that are really short. I wanted to try them in the front of some of the beds. Especially out front. I end up with the same campanula, arabis, stonecrop stuff that are great ground covers or fairly short plants (the campanula plant is 12" with another 12" of solid blue flowers (tiny) but the clump just keeps getting bigger and bigger. When it hits about 2" across I start digging around to cut it back. Gives me starts for other parts of the garden.

The tall peach campanula seem to die out in the middle tho they spread also. I like them but they seem to produce fewer flowers. Maybe I need to just dig them up and put something else in the back of that bed. It borders on the walk so while they are in the back they are right next to the sidewalk.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2014
1:51 PM

Post #9757565

I'll add that to my list along with the signs that tell me "Tie up dahlias". I do it now and then but never seem to get them all done.

I love my Conca d'or and hope it will grow this year. It was on the outside of the old vegetable garden but when I had the new deer fencing done I had the garden extended by 3' so now they'll be safe from the blasted deer. I'll look at Ramona's (Faraway Flowers) since I'm annoyed at all the cleaning I've had to do today!

Short dahlias are nice! It's great not to have to tie them constantly but strong winds can be disastrous to them just as they are to taller dahlias.

Every few years I divide my campanula Chettle Charm. I love that one and it blooms for a long time.

Thumbnail by pirl

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2014
3:01 PM

Post #9757590

oooooooohhhh. I love the pink aquilegia (ridiculous, I can remember that name but not it's common name) next to it. I also have Chettle Charm next to the Giants. I will have to mix the whatever they are in with them this year.

There is another newby growing dahlias but his prices are, well, pricey. Oregon

http://www.riversdahlias.com/index.htm
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2014
3:36 PM

Post #9757609

Columbine! They've all kept busy self-seeding in that area for years.

I just went to see the dahlias on your link. SO many are sold out already and SO many have photos taken in shade! I did put the names of a few aside but will check other vendors tonight.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2014
4:07 PM

Post #9757633

Other than finding their site while looking for a good picture of one of my ordered dahlias I don't have any knowledge of them. Allan Lowe's order is my one nod to the small entrepreneur this year. I had a small order made out from Dutch Gardens for some perennials but then looked at the Watch Dog. Ouch. All negative almost. I noticed in the catalog that they would so Zone 3-10 then when you looked up the plant online it would show hardy to zone 9-10, 'suitable for 3-9'?? Now what the heck is that supposed to mean. I think it is really a ploy to get you to order (which I did from other places many times before I learned to read fine print) because it looks like it will grow in your area. Might grow, and I do mean 'might' but doesn't mean it will come back.

I have all my new ordered lilies, dahlias and peonies entered in my database. Can hardly wait.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2014
5:01 PM

Post #9757677

Just say NO to any perennials from Dutch Gardens. They used to be so good. Now they're fine for dahlias or bulbs, never for a plant that has roots - clematises, perennials, etc.

I don't like any dishonesty so I'm glad you did check the fine print.

Funny that it's and we're mentally ready for spring. More grass appeared today as the snow receded.

Any minute now I'll go back to dahlia hunting.
psudan
Mentor, OH

January 30, 2014
10:15 AM

Post #9758825

I received a print catalog from Dahlia Dandies this morning. I don't believe they have posted their new catalog on-line on the Big List as yet. I ordered from them last year and was well pleased with the price and quality of the tubers. They are eliminating quite a few varieties this year and on the back of the catalog they list 30 of those for $2.50-$3.00 each. I hadn't planned on ordering this early but there's nothing worse than waiting and then getting a n/a or s/o on the ones you most wanted. I had a few that produced few if any new tubers last fall. I'll go ahead and order those and I'm sure the itch to order more will return later. I'm going to Google some of the sale priced ones to see what they look like since most are unknown to me. I do hate to tempt Mary into ordering more. lol
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2014
10:42 AM

Post #9758844

Dan! You area rat fink! Okay. Got that out of my system. :) I was giving thoughts to only ordering each year ones that I lost. I know what they should look like, I liked them (presumably), know height. I have over one hundred on my database of which (after noting losses from this years storage I may have 30 left (maybe.) Had 50 (not counting Dan's) to start with. But, yes, I will go look. I pay on average $4.95 to 8.95 for my tubers in various places. Have looked at others that have big sales but simply don't see what I want or anything that appeals.

So there!! Provocateur!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2014
10:51 AM

Post #9758853

Okay. I looked and I am 'holding.'
psudan
Mentor, OH

January 30, 2014
11:35 AM

Post #9758894

Remember the Dahlia Golden Rule... "Thou canst hath too many." lol

I'm amused by some of the "sales" e-mails I get every day or so. I got one this morning from Holland Bulb Farms. They have a 50% off sale on purple colored flowers of different types. A few are dahlias that are regularly priced at $10-$13 (??) each. I mean c'mon ...these are common everyday dahlias that I have bought at Home Depot or Lowe's at 3 for $10 or less. Is anyone gullible enough not to understand that these are not $10-13 dahlias in the first place and even at $5-$6.50 may still be a little high? Rest assured that if I were to pay $10 or more for a tuber, it's going to come from an established, well known grower, not a seller.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2014
12:42 PM

Post #9758934

I paid $25 last year for a tuber that I rotted over winter. "more money than brains" I guess. I just pulled everything from the crawl space, inventoried and am updating the database. Pretty depressing. Even those that haven't rotted or dessicated are not good looking like yours (Dan). I will keep them though. So tempted to put them all in trays with shallow dirt just to see who will sprout or perhaps same some that are borderline. But then they will just get tall and stringy and they run the chance of me over watering. I tried so hard last year. Tested each pot with a moisture meter to assure I wasn't watering something that looked dry on top but was really wet on the bottom. If I didn't love flowers so much, and dahlias in particular I would pitch in the towel. Oh well, have to have some hobby and it is cheaper than many.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2014
3:19 PM

Post #9759024

You two are out to get me in trouble. I just know it!

Okay, I'll "just look" at your newest site, Dan, as I hope I don't find anything as grand as the two I found recently, shown below. I will definitely order them.

Jack will be taking many bags of blackened, squishy dahlias to the dump tomorrow and I will never again trust them to the garage. From now on it will be the basement.

I did salvage some of one giant bag but definitely lost all Vancouvers, Mingus Toni and others I loved. Now I do have them in trays with very dry soil (I did give them a little water though it seemed insane to water soggy dahlias - some more than others). Now I feel I can't order until I see if the hopeful survivors are real or imagined.

Dan - some of those bargains seem to be aimed at those who have never looked at buying dahlias before in the hopes their prices will entice people to buy.

When I was at the depths of self-pity over the rotted dahlias I decided to splurge and go to Corralitos only to find they are closed this year due to health issues. I wish them the best in life and always loved the ease of planting their dahlias.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl         

psudan
Mentor, OH

January 30, 2014
6:38 PM

Post #9759110

If I continue to post these dahlia sites, could I be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a dahliaholic? lol (I see my spellcheck never heard of a dahliaholic.)

Wow, that Tartan is a real eye catcher. I remember seeing that in a Breck's catalog and couldn't find it anywhere else. I wonder if that is a known dahlia that these "sellers" or importers give their own name to. I can't remember exactly, but doesn't that look a little like Ryn Fou? I was looking at a dahlia last year in Longfield Nursery's catalog called Seawood Glory that just so happens to look very, very similar to Sellwood Glory. What a coincidence!

Have you had any luck ordering from Breck's? Their DG Watchdog ratings are a little questionable. But then again, I'm the guy who orders from Michigan Bulb. What do I know. lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2014
7:35 PM

Post #9759151

Hiss, boo on your spellcheck!

I gave in and put in an order at Rivers Dahlias a few minutes ago. It feels sinful so it must be good.

Thanks - I loved Tartan instantly! I've had Ryn Fou and Tartan has different petals and a different look to it.

Some do misspell names. Accent has Kasagi instead of Kasasagi but it's the identical flower.

Funny! After a 40 year hiatus I ordered lilies from Breck's in 2012. They sent 6 but three were wrong. The three that were right were virused. "You pays your money and you take your chances"...
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/You pays your money and you takes your chance
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2014
9:33 PM

Post #9759208

I really don't trust Brecks. I know they photoshop their pics. Maybe not all but some. Like their Blue Star dahlia. Plus they put stuff on super sale, as Dan observed, with the 'regular' price so pumped up that even at 50% off they are down to the real market price.

Arlene, I am so sorry your dahlias were rotten. I did the same thing today. Over half in addition to what I have already pitched went out. Let me know how your 'planted' tubers work.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2014
9:37 PM

Post #9759211

Perhaps we need to start a new thread. "Preparing Dahlias for Summer". It might change our luck.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2014
7:51 AM

Post #9759369

It's a heart breaker when the favorite ones have to be tossed.

I totally agree about Breck's.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2014
9:02 AM

Post #9759402

There are so many new outfits, small individual ones, I wonder if dahlias are on the upswing. We even have a fellow out in the valley (Matanuska) who sells them. I keep forgetting he is there. Shame on me.
psudan
Mentor, OH

January 31, 2014
2:07 PM

Post #9759604

I just checked my stored tubers for only the third time since they were put away in November. I decided I wasn't going to be fanatical about checking them weekly like I have done in the past. They look fine so far. Probably 90% or more look like they did when I stored them. A few are slightly shriveled, but mostly the skinny ones. I just hope they don't start shriveling in March or early April like the ones did that my friends stored last year. I did have one bag that I must have covered with another bag on the bottom of the box and the top had folded over. When I saw condensation on the inside of the bag I knew what to expect. Unfortunately, I was right and 5 of the 6 John Bramletts inside were starting to rot. NOW, I remember why I used to check weekly. lol Oh well, my fault. I usually lose a few to shriveling each year but I can't really remember the last time I had any rot. It probably wouldn't have hurt to let them dry another day or so after I divided.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2014
2:09 PM

Post #9759605

If you are all inclined we could move to here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1343830/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dahlias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dahliettas, gallery dahlias, jackpot dahlias Lenjo 12 Mar 7, 2013 6:27 PM
Dahlias and black walnut hart 17 May 16, 2008 10:37 PM
Will the real Edinburgh please stand up? mvespa 19 Apr 17, 2007 8:44 AM
NO H20 - Candy says "Hi!" Please say Hi back Poochella 11 Oct 12, 2009 12:13 AM
Do ya really really have to dig them? WayehMalamutes 18 Apr 14, 2008 6:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America