Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 21, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9282326

Hi pirl, Thanks for asking about me. I haven't had a chance to get on the forums lately and haven't had much luck with the dahlias until recently. After the torrential rain last year, this year was BONE dry. Every storm headed our way either died before it got here or split and went north and south of us. We had many days in the 90's. I planted the tubers at the end of May and watered sparingly. Even with the dry weather I still lost 9 or 10 to rot. The growth was painfully slow and at the end of July I had many that were only 6"- 8" tall. In mid-August I decided they were either going to sink or swim. I got out the hose and literally drowned then. As a result they took off and I've had more growth in the last 3 weeks than I had in the first 10 weeks. Over half have bloomed or budded and I'm hoping for more before frost. This one is Hollyhill Starburst.

Thumbnail by psudan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 21, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9282330

Kelvin Floodlight. Lots of blooms but I never seem to get anything over 6"- 7". I guess I need to dis-bud for bigger ones.

Thumbnail by psudan

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 21, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9282331

Bonaventure. One of my favorites with big, strong stems.

Thumbnail by psudan

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 21, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9282334

Ferncliff Inspiration.

Thumbnail by psudan

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 21, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9282336

Rose Jupiter. My cucumbers failed miserably this year and in protest the cucumber beetles have moved to the front yard and are taking their spite out on my dahlias. lol

Thumbnail by psudan

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 21, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9282339

Glenbank Twinkler. I should have more soon.

Thumbnail by psudan

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9282487

Wonderful dahlias, as always, Dan. We didn't have drought conditions but something early on in the season, stopped the new growth for a long time. The last one I planted has done very well - no ID for it and I don't even like it. Kalinka blooms at ground level, some yellow one I didn't like so I didn't dig up last year is going gangbusters but Vancouver is ho hum this year. The stakes look so silly since they're 5' tall but the dahlias are barely 2'.

Thomas Edison, pictured below, is quite nice but just a few blooms though they last a long time. It needed many stakes due to the floppy stems.

Our cucumbers did very well, too well. The neighbors seemed a bit shy to answer the door for fear of even more cucumbers. The crows got the tomatoes, the peas burned up in the heat of the sun in June and there was just one picking of the green beans.

Caladiums were (and still are) superb as are the coleuses.

Thumbnail by pirl

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9282489

All gorgeous. I really like Rose Jupiter. Bonaventure looks a lot like Neon Splendor. I like the ones that are predominantly one color like orange then have the tiniest tint of pink in the center. Phoenix is one of my very favorites. Dr. John E. Kaiser finally popped up and bloomed. Didn't know where he was. Great color.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9282493

I know what you mean by the tall stakes. Mine look pretty silly and of course are in the middle of the lawn where they can't be missed. I am in piggy heaven with the dahlias I received from Dan and Tod this spring. Talk about a picnic (can't spell smorgasbord)... lol. Only one didn't pop up for some reason (Korb Summer Gala) but has a huge tuber. All others grew to one extent or another and most bloomed --- like bunches on blooms on all plants. Guess the rain and cool weather up here is good for something besides flooding the streets.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9282494

This is the no ID that I planted late. The tag read purple with white edges. Clearly something went wrong!

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9282495

Funny, Mary. Glad we both have those stakes ready for next year.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9282496

May not match the tag but it sure is pretty and so different, especially the little decoration in the center. :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9282498

That bee was the only saving grace with the dahlia.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9282499

I will have fun this winter figuring out what to put where next spring now that I have some idea of height (although that can change) and color. I want to mix some lilies, and peonies among the dahlias. Hope Dan has more blooms to show.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9282500

Well, obviously we are both sitting here typing our little fingers away -- right over each other. Poor Dan doesn't stand a chance.
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 21, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9282541

This must be the year of the short dahlias. My Bonaventure went from less than 3 feet to over 6 feet in 3 weeks. Other than that I only have one (out of over 50) that is over 3 feet. Sure makes staking easier but last year I had many that were 5-8 feet tall. A few friends have very short dahlias this year. My Vancouver has a lot of buds and I can't wait to see it bloom. Thanks, pirl. I have a bright red Cynthia Houston and a pink/red specked Alpen Pauline that are each about 25% open. Can't believe this late growth. This was the hottest, driest summer I can remember since 1988. My tomatoes did pretty well. I got several picking of the green beans and then they turned golden yellow and all the leaves fell off. As I mentioned earlier the cucumbers totally failed. I think one of the biggest problems we have is pollination. I haven't seen a honey bee in years. We have a few bumble bees.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9282575

Try some nepeta or lavender plants. Borage also encourages the bees.

Mary - mark the lilies and peonies well so it won't be a problem if you need to move either of them. I use small beach stones to outline lily plantings. Use anything that works for you.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9282996

I usually draw a schematic but it's a race against time just to get the work done much less draw it up. I have a bazillion metal plant markers but am so far behind on making the marker sign itself that it's the same problem. Right now I still have stems to mark them in position but not for long. It is hard to imagine it being so dry that there are no bees.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9283017

Bring out a Sharpie when you plant the dahlias and use your arm to at least put Rose Jupiter left of Bonaventure, etc. Transfer the information to your computer when you're done for the day or take a break. It doesn't wash off fast so you'll have time to do it the following day if you happen to forget on planting day.

Thumbnail by pirl

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9283032

LOL. Now THAT is original! I would have notes up to my shoulder. Well, not if I was only marking lilies and such. but I move pretty much everything sometimes. I got two holes dug for peonies coming, and want to mark empty spots with the name of the dahlia I want to plant there next spring. Come spring I start digging and planting rather frenetically and forget all my well thought out designs the previous fall when I have time to just stand and gaze and imagine arrangements.
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 22, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9283087

pirl, didn't know you were into tattoos. lol I carry a small note pad and write down what's planted in each section. I leave room to cross off the rotted ones and add the new ones. Luckily for me, I started a dozen or so in pots to be used as replacements and this year, due to rot, I used almost all the extras. Unluckily for me, I forgot to write in what the replacements were. lol I'm not sure what to expect, if they ever bloom. I need to learn not to trust my memory.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9283108

Memory? Memory? I think I used to have one of those. That's why I carry my camera around documenting everything. But it doesn't work in the fall when some stuff is underground.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9283119

You're right, Mary. I also bring the camera and have to download daily or I'll forget why I took the photos.

It's amazing what we can do when we are desperate. I've had the list go up, past my elbow, but haven't made it to the shoulder yet. Forgetfulness goes with the territory. If I were good at remembering the jobs for the day Sharpie might go out of business.

Yes, Dan, by the end of the day it takes great imagination to think of what was tattooed on my arm! Saying to yourself, "Oh, I'll remember", is a sure path to forgetting.

I've been out tending Kasasagi and I'm up to Vancouver now. The best (huge) stem broke in the heavy winds we had earlier this week (can't remember the day!).

To protect a few daylilies from the beasts known as deer, I had laid a large piece of old rusted wire fencing over them back in June. Today I went to remove it and saw a plain yellow waterlily dahlia had made it its home and Kasasagi has grown on it. Maybe that's a better idea for the future than stakes. I could put it over the stake and create my own cages, just lifting them up to plant new dahlias next year. It's a good winter project.

Thumbnail by pirl

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9283288

that's a pretty dahlia. Reminds me of Kaiser Wilhelm a little. I cleaned off my tuber clumps and am really perplexed. I remember what I have received from others, both DG'rs and vendors in the way of tubers. Mostly just single tubers. The clumps I have just bend my mind on how to cut them up and what to save. It looks like you would only save a small part of the clump, preferable single decent size tubers with part of the neck or eyes.

Here are three different tubers, first two shots are front and back of the same tuber. they are all different in terms of size, roots, texture.

so I would cut all the little stuff off, and only save those having eyes or part of the neck. It would make them more likely to get through the winter without rotting no matter how dry I let them get.

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 22, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9283401

Mary, two years ago when I dug my tubers, I dried them a couple of days and put them in plastic shopping bags or gallon zip locs (if they would fit) with a couple handfuls of a peat moss, potting soil and perlite mixture and waited until spring to divide. I have a hard time seeing some of the eyes. This past fall the friends who dug my tubers wanted to divide them then to make storage easier. I didn't like the idea because not many eyes were visible. They cut up all the plump individual tubers with a piece of the tuber collar attached and stored them in vermiculite after the cuts were dusted with sulphur. Their theory is throw them all in the bag visible eye or not. You have nothing to lose. Next spring if no eyes appear... toss them into the compost pile. I was amazed at the number that had eyed up this spring. No telling how many I would have thrown away if I was the one doing the dividing when they were dug. We have lost very few the last two years.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9283411

that's true. the mixture you put them in would absorb any moisture and at the same time provide a little moisture if needed I guess. Well, nothing ventured. I have used just peat moss before but they dried out. So maybe it is the three part mixture that does the trick. that and getting rid of the tiny tubers and roots would also keep down the chances of rot. Thanks

Oh, also I heard that they are easier to cut if you let them sit for a couple of days. They get softer.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2012 4:47 PM
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 22, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9283463

My friends use a heavy blade knife or poultry shears for the bigger cuts and a small razor blade type knife sold in hobby shops for digging in around the collar. Never seemed to have any problem even when the tubers were a little dry. I have used an exacto knife. As far as moisture, we very lightly spray the inside of the bag every few weeks instead of wetting the medium. I think the important part is creating a "little" humidity. Be sure to leave the bag open. Of course, a lot depends on the temperature at which they are stored. Mine were usually stored in the attic right beneath the roof vent but were nowhere near the ideal temp of 35-40 degrees. Mine were probably low to mid 50's but I never had any problems. They do seem to develop sprouts much earlier. That might be a good thing for you with a shorter growing season.
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 22, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9283482

pirl, I wish I had a nickel for every time I've said "Oh I'll remember". I plant 6 or 8 varieties of tomatoes every year. I always think I'll remember where each type is planted. And I do ... for about ten minutes. After 4 or 5 years of "forgetting", I finally wised up this year and charted everything in a notebook as I planted. What is the name of the dahlia you posted? It looks a lot like this one I had from last year.

Thumbnail by psudan

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9283551

Good information on storing. I have so many to dig and store. They all have been so beautiful. I have many that are over 5' tall. I am planning on how to stake them next year. Most stand nicely, but I have many that need a little help.
I have 2 of these plants. They have stood up well, they are 2.5' to 3' tall. The bushes are loaded all the time, and the colors are beautiful.
I love all the pictures. I know I don't have much more room, but I think I may need just "a few" more.
Marie

Thumbnail by MyRee

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9283734

Dan - Just thinking of "Oh, I'll remember" chills me since I seldom do. Then I get annoyed with myself knowing I will not remember. Now I try to photograph what I've done so I'll have some reference for it. I missed that twice yesterday! The computer often saves the day. I have my "to do" list on Notepad, on my screensaver, so I see it many times a day and it serves to jog my brain.

The photo I posted was of a little pom pon (so hard to type that since I always thought it was pom pom) type, Kasasagi. I love that one! http://www.dahlias.com/kasasagi-item330.aspx The blooms are darker and prettier with a bit of shade but this one ended up in the sun...because I forgot to remember. I'll have to add that to the tag. Pictured below is how it looks in full sun, not a minute of shade. I prefer the darker version.

Marie - you really have lovely dahlias. Years ago, when Poochella reigned as Queen of the Dahlias here at DG, she used rebar as stakes, for the strength and permanence of them. I resisted for years, believing they were just too ugly, and looked for something better but I ended up using the rebar. They are in place permanently so now I just have to remember to tie them up each year. Everything goes along fine and then they seem to put on a growth spurt and I don't catch it in time so they end up lying on the ground.

The one I thought was Vancouver ends up being something I bought (nameless) from Home Depot. I do love it but still want to grow Vancouver again. I know I planted it in spring but I guess it failed to grow. Here's a photo (#2) of it.

Photo #3 is Long Island Lil, an old favorite. Please notice how it's lying down because I forgot to stake it. The plant doesn't grow in the area where I have the rebar stakes. I'd rather use a mound shaped piece of wire fencing for it than rebar.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl      

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9283900

Well, I was visited (while out to dinner) by twin one year old moose who were also having dinner on my plants. they beheaded almost all the dahlias in the new bed although they missed ones that were just starting to open which are the ones I am most concerned about. But anything big and tasty they ate. Also ate some lilies, every rose blossom on my climbing rose by the mail box and the dahlia blooms on a large raised pot by the honeysuckle which they were working on this morning when I went to survey the damage. From the dents in the grass they slept on my lawn last night anticipating a nice breakfast before moving on. D drove them off with the pellet rifle last night but they must have come back. I am mixing up a batch of Planskyd today. I figured it was appropriate to put this under "better late than never."
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9283984

these pictures aren't very good. I was on the lookout for the mama moose who can be really lethal if you mess with her babies. she never showed up so perhaps these two are orphans. The last shot is the only one I got of Dr. John E. Kaiser. I was taking pics each day in anticipation of frost and wanted to be sure I got one from my own garden (not downloaded online - especially where I can't find one online) for my database.

the first one they are at opposite sides of the picture and the fourth one he (one of them) is taking out my roses and honeysuckle.

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9283991

I am so sorry for the damage. I have deer that come to my yard, but they like the tasty tomatoes better than the dahlias.

I was out with the camera a couple weeks ago, (I am not as good as Pril and Dan). I am so afraid of stealing the thread that I tend not to post much on others posts, but here goes. I hope you don't mind.

Pril, I have a thought of making little birdhouses and painting each one different, have a hole in the bottom of each and put them on the rebar. I would have to make a lot of birdhouses. I also thought I would make some wooden and copper flowers to put on the stakes.

I only know a few names of my dahlias, the tags I put at the base are all covered up. Also, I planted several from seed so I haven't named them yet (just for me).

Thumbnail by MyRee   Thumbnail by MyRee   Thumbnail by MyRee   Thumbnail by MyRee   Thumbnail by MyRee

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9283998

Your yard is beautiful! I look for moose every time we go on vacation. I have only seen a few. I don't know why they are my favorite. I use to like deer until they came and dimolished my roses (they love the buds) and my tomatoes. I wish I could use a pellet gun, but not able to. I have used a golf club though. They go running.

Here are a few more pictures:

Thumbnail by MyRee   Thumbnail by MyRee   Thumbnail by MyRee   Thumbnail by MyRee   Thumbnail by MyRee

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9284024

So sorry to see the moose feasting on your plants, Mary. Deer and moose could all go to some deprived state and then we'd be happy.

Marie - gorgeous photos! Is that amaranthus in your first photo? I love it with the dahlias. I have some of the reddish purple ones, some salmon, along with some green ones but the deer also love the brand new growth so I have to spray constantly. I think the last one on your first post is Lady Darlene - I love that one.

This morning my husband said he no longer wants to do any vegetable gardening since the crows got more of the tomatoes than we did, the sun got the peas, the neighbors got 99% of the cucumbers and we only had one crop (one day) of green beans before the sun fried them. If that garden becomes mine, by default, it will be dahlias, cockscomb and amaranthus. The deer can't get it and I'd love an area all to myself!

The orange amaranthus is Hot Biscuits (seeds from Swallowtail).
The reddish purple are Velvet Curtains (also from Swallowtail seeds).
The third photo shows how the deer eat the new growth. I'd have to spray daily to keep them away from these (or any) new growth on plants.
I love this cockscomb!

Now I'll go out and get a photo of the green amaranthus.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9284027

Thanks guys. At least I can enjoy all your beautiful flowers. Marie, I love the last one in the first row and the first one in the second row. the dahlias that have many colors are favorites. I am going to plant my dahlias closer together next year. Now that I have some idea how big they are going to be. I think I should be more aware of hijacking a thread. I sort of jump in anywhere. Bad habit. I will work on it. This was really Dan and Arlene's
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9284098

Mary - I doubt any of us have phobias about hijacking and it's always a relief to know others have problems to deal with as we all seem to face something from animals to weather.

The one dahlias I do have growing, despite leaving it in the ground last year, is a seedling from dark foliage dahlias. There must be 50 blooms at all times but no match for the larger beauties. It does attract more bees than can be believed.

Thumbnail by pirl

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 23, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9284103

Hijack all you want. I enjoy reading the posts. Mary, I feel bad reading about your moose problem. I'm glad we don't have those big devils. The deer around here are bad enough and it gets worse every year. City council recently decided to allow bowhunting but must be on properties of 5 acres or more. That eliminates 99.99% of the land around here. I think it would lead to ill feeling and accomplish little anyway. I wouldn't have participated in an area this small. I don't know what the right answer is. I've been walking 5 or 6 miles a day in a park about 1/2 mile from home. Last Thursday I stopped on the trail and let 14 does cross within 25 feet of me. I planted a late crop of green beans and I'm shocked they haven't been devoured yet. I'm sure the bumper crop of acorns has helped lessen our damage. MyRee, those are certainly beautiful dahlias. You must have been blessed with dahlia-friendly weather. What did you mean about the neighbors getting the cucumbers? You gave them away or they stole them? lol
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 23, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9284158

My mistake. I meant to ask pirl about the cucumbers instead of MyRee.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9284177

thanks I was feeling guilty. As as to Marie's comment about using a golf club on the beasties??? Not me! They wouldn't even feel it except to piss it off and I cannot run fast enough to get away. The big ones don't always respond even to the pellet gun. Although they know the sound of it getting jacked up ready to shoot. Damien has said over and over they should allow bow hunting in the lower hills around Anchorage. That is where they come from, down the slopes. Usually followed by the bears. I have been fortunate that I have not met a bear but then I do live right on the inlet and it's a bit of a jaunt even for the moose, right through the suburbs and some commercial districts. Doesn't faze them. I must admit I could picture those two little 'veal on the hoofs" avariciously. they would be outstanding smoked, bar-b-qued, any old way.

I just sprayed Plant Skyyd. Yup, well after the horses left the barn. But I still have some that haven't opened (dahlias as well as lilies) and I surely would like to see them.

Dan, are there no predators other than man to keep the population down? I could see an uptick in arrow wounds on less than 5 acres. Shoot. The idiot across the cul de sac shot at a moose in the direction of another neighbor's house and broke his front window. Talk about brainless. So fortunate it wasn't a more powerful gun and no one was in the living room. He replaced the window.

I went to a sporting goods store and bought two knives. One is a neat little guy with a short (2.5" )curved blade with a nice point. It works great to get into the tubers and slice away. I bought a larger filet knife just in case. Heaven only knows what, if anything will sprout, but I really tried to get bits of the stems. I pitched as much detritus as I kept. D asked why I was doing it and I told him that I didn't think that whole clumps would make it through the winter but would rot. Just couldn't get them dry enough. I am going to go back and read what you sent me (Dan) on the mixture you use to store them. And first 'shake and bake' in fungicide. I am leaving the others outside to build bigger tubers as most are new to me and I would like to give them a good growth. Up to frost and a few days or so beyond. Theory is that they sprout eyes better that way.
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9284251

Mary, My beasties are a lot smaller than yours. I did have a moose come through about 10 years ago, but only once.

Pril, It is amaranthus. I planted some several years ago and have not intentionally planted any more. I have to weed them out each year. I have ordered several varieties of the amaranthus for next year (the poinsettia type). I also love the cockscomb. They have been some of my favorite this year. The one is Lady Darlene. I have several markers c the plants but can't get to them.

Dan, I lived in Dayton, Ohio for 16 months years back. I loved it! But going to Ohio from Utah, the neighbors thought it strange when I brought the garden hose and sprinkler out when we had a while between rains.

Different views of the same area. The frame in the last picture is 8' tall. The amaranthus is towering over it. These are volunteer. I am amazed at the size of my flowers this year.

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9284267

The first one is Who Dun It. I have at least 6 large plants of this. It just keeps on giving.
2nd: Poinsettia amaranthus.
3rd is a picture looking from the southwest corner of the small property. This is my rental house that I am having so much fun with landscaping.
4th and 5th: This is what happens when you plant a Black Eyed Susan Vine next to the dahlia. Can barely see the dahlia.
I wish I didn't work full time. I could do so much more. --- I hate being inside. The out of doors is my home.

Dan, how big is the first flower? It is so different and beautiful.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2012 4:40 PM

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9284292

These dahlia photos are great and I love that huge amaranthus as well as the Poinsettia amaranthus. I did take a photo of the green one but haven't downloaded photos yet tonight.

Dan - we do have a limit on our ability to eat cucumbers and about 90 a week is way past our threshold. That's why Jack gave them to about 8 neighbors.

7/26
8/5

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl         

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9284301

Pril, beautiful. Is the flavor as good as they look? I haven't had good luck with my cucumbers the last few years.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9284316

Well, I saw "Who Dun It" and that pushed me over the edge. Went to the Dahlia Barn and ordered 7 more dahlias. However I think I missed WDI in my exhuberance...drat.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9284335

Thanks, Marie. They were the ideal cucumber - crispy!

Can't you add it to your order, Mary?
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 23, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9284357

Mary, do you mean you are cutting a piece of the stem or collar? A piece of the stem isn't necessary, just a piece of the bulbous area where the tubers join together. There is an excellent article at the top of this page in the dahlia resource thread titled "Poochella's Digging and Dividing". She shows where and how to cut in detail. As I think Arlene mentioned, Poochella was something of a "Dahlia Guru" on DG. You asked about predators and the only ones we have are automobiles. There are more deer/vehicle collisions every year. One of my concerns is the possibility of someone, maybe a child, getting gored by a buck during rutting season. Years ago, I had two slobbering, wild-eyed bucks charge me while I was only armed with a fishing rod. The scary part is these bucks I see in the park are tame enough to almost eat out of your hand. A park maintenance man shares my concerns. I'm not sure the city council understands that a bow kills by hemorrhaging, not by shock as with a gun. Even with a perfect hit, a bow shot will often result in a deer traveling 100 yards or more. I don't want to track a deer that expires by a child's swing set. No one wants rid of them any more than me but 5 acres is just too small an area.
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 23, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9284362

MyRee, that first dahlia is about 4" in diameter. The colors on it are kind of hypnotic. When I scroll past it, it appears to move a little. lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9284371

Dan - deer here have threatened young kids. Jack told them never to go near a deer and I hope they all listen.

One of our friends who lives in the Poconos said he sees deer there constantly but he's not a gardener so he has no plants to lose. While visiting a girlfriend down here he hit three deer (different times) but has never hit one in the Poconos.

Love 'Who Dun It'.
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 23, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9284372

pirl, I am sooooo jealous of your cucumber expertise. Every year mine do so poorly that I swear I'll never try again. But the next year I'm back at it. I have beautiful vines and hundreds of blooms. The cucumbers start setting and almost overnight they become infected with what I'm told is downy or powdery mildew. I don't know anyone around this area who does well. One problem is lack of pollination and another is the cucumber beetle. My dad had the "greenest" thumb of anyone I know, but the last couple of years he gardened, he had trouble growing them. My soil test was good but I suspect the things I mentioned above are the culprits.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9284391

Your local County Extension Service agent may be of help in selecting cucumber seeds that are more resistant to the problems you have with them, Dan.

We gave up growing eggplant a very long time ago when we heard a group of four farmers talking to each other at the local breakfast place and one said the eggplant growers don't realize the harm they do to the potato growers because of some insect the eggplant encourages. Then it goes after the potatoes and this very eastern end of Long Island is loaded with potato farmers.
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 23, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9284423

I have gone to the ext. service a couple times. I think that is who told me the mildew was airborne and was in Central Ohio at that time and was headed north. By the time I found this out it was too late to spray. An uncle thinks the beetles bring on some of the diseases. The vines die from the root outward. I have bought seeds that were resistant to almost all the major cucumber diseases. I have also bought the ones that are self-pollinated. A little better but not much. This year I think a lot of the problem was heat related and a lack of rain. About 5 or 6 years ago, my first attempt was with Straight Eight cucumbers. The vines grew and bloomed but I never got to pick any because every one turned out to be perfectly round, about 2 1/2" in diameter and full of seeds. I had a hundred or more at the end of the season lying in the garden. All exactly the same size and shape. I've been told it was lack of pollination. Hardly a Straight Eight. lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9284441

Sounds like Straight Eight was an evil trick in the end. Well, you've given it a good try several times. Sometimes we just can't win. I

Losing happened to me with one clematis I wanted so much. First I bought one and it was named incorrectly, two more died, another (from a co-op) died. In desperation I bought two from Home Depot this past spring and right now I have blooms galore and they were labeled correctly.

Thumbnail by pirl

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9284442

So, Pril, Name for the cucumber?

I go nuts when I see something new that I must have. What an addiction. My neighbors love it though.

I love these, They are over 6" each.

Thumbnail by MyRee

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9284444

I'll ask Jack for the name of them tomorrow morning. He got them from Park Seed Co.

Nice color on that one, Marie.

Here's the photo I wanted to post - finally, presenting Venosa Violacea!

Thumbnail by pirl

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9284447

Oh, it is beautiful. Size? Late blooming?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9284457

It's not one of the large flowered ones and it's widely available. It bloomed indoors 5/14 after being planted 3/14. Next year I'll have more specifics on actual blooming time since it will (hopefully) be planted this fall. I have more clematises to be planted than I'd have thought!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9284473

Getting late here also. Movie time. I will look at Poocherealla's info on splitting dahlias and hope for the best. I am soooo slow to learn. But I never never give up...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9284611

Here's Poochella's thread on digging dahlias, identifying eyes, splitting, etc.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/662385/
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9284835

thanks Arlene. I know you mentioned her before. I had completely forgotten the thread on dividing dahlias. Thanks to Dan too
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9284849

It remains a giant unsolved mystery to me when it comes to finding the actual eyes despite Poochella's great photos and circled eyes.
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 24, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9284891

pirl, That's why I prefer to wait until spring to divide. That way I can find the green sprouts much easier then than I can find the tiny eyes in the fall. But as my friends say ... save them all. I checked on my Bonaventure this morning and it's now almost 10" wide. This one is Cynthia Huston. It's about 6" wide. Hope it gets bigger.

Thumbnail by psudan

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9284894

I cut 11 clumps up last night. Should have waited a day. Then I also have the clumps out front still in bloom. I should wait til freeze up but the thread said that I could simulate frost by cutting off the stem and leaving for about 7-10 days. We have had some light frosts and now it is balmy 50's. I will go check my tubers for the collar in each. I tried to use my nursery markers to write on them but it didn't work. Maybe they are still too damp although look pretty dry to me.
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 24, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9284903

Alpen Pauline. About 7" wide. This was my first time ordering from Alpen's. Nice looking tubers. Not overly large but nice and plump. They sent two of everything I ordered, maybe because it was late in the year. I'll definitely try them again next spring.

Thumbnail by psudan

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 24, 2012

Post #9284911

Short gallery dahlia named Singer. They have been blooming their heads off for about the past six weeks.

Thumbnail by psudan

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2012

Post #9284913

Oh. I like that one. It looks like a pink version of Nonette that I got from OHG. I call them batiks.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9284914

Dan, with so many dahlias, and they bloom later in the summer, what do you plant that blooms in the spring and early summer?
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 24, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9284916

Another gallery dahlia. This one is Pablo. I really like this one and as you can see the earwigs or cucumber beetles like it too.

Thumbnail by psudan

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 24, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9284926

I used to have 400-500 tulips. I started planting more and more daffs due to the deer situation. Last year I still had around 300 tulips but probably 200 were gobbled up before they bloomed. I plan to have at least 300 daffs this coming spring. I also have a few Irises and 75-100 lilies. I hate to think I have to let an animal dictate what I'm allowed to grow on my own property, but what can you do?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9284935

Dan - the red of Cynthia Huston could be a stoplight! Pablo is super!
It is a shame when the critters determine what we can or cannot plant. I've found a product that works for me but new foliage and buds have to be sprayed often. It's by "I must garden" and here's the container. I also bought their pump spray bottle - very easy to use. It smells just like mint and I love it.

The deer don't touch my dahlias but adore the hostas, roses, amaranthus and daylilies. I used to have more than 2000 daylilies but now the number is more like a few hundred. The deer leave a trail of buds on the ground - highly disturbing on a nice summer's day.

Thumbnail by pirl

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9284956

Oh jeez...you guys are killing me. Pablo is magnificent. Just when I think dahlias all look alike I see one like that and go, I MUST have... lol. Damien was looking at me like I was nuts last night as I ordered more dahlias on my laptop while waiting for a movie to queue up on the screen.
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 24, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9285006

pirl, best luck I've had with deterrents was coyote urine sprayed around the vegetable garden. It is one of the most gosh-awful smelling things on earth. It even keeps me out of the garden until some of the smell dissipates. I have also used diluted hot sauce on my lilies. I get a little heavy-handed on the hot sauce sometimes and speckle the petals and leaves. Mary, our addiction to dahlias reminds me of the old Lay's potato chip commercials, where the tag line was "Bet you can't eat (grow) just one".
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9285019

Mary - we all go through that angst with either lilies, roses, hydrangeas or some plant!

Dan - the smell of Liquid Fence is SO foul. It's fine for people to recommend we only spray the foul smelling repellents on calm days but often we don't have the calm weather when we need it.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9285043

Until you have your pressure tank spew up on you and cover you (literally dripping off my glasses) with PlantSkydd, you haven't lived. Hmmm, wonder if I could sell it as a new facial product. Nahhhh. Even if it worked, no one would come close enough to see it. :-)

I have actually eliminated my addiction to peonies, but only by substituting dahlias and lilies. So many to choose from and far cheaper. Although I did order one dahlia for spring that was $22.95. A new one this year. Can't remember the name.
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9285076

The flowers are amazing. I am going to dig up some areas of periennials that have overgrown and prepare the soil for bulbs this fall and dahlias for the summer. That way I can order more bulbs and tubers. I have already ordered over 300 spring blooming bulbs, Mostly daf's.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9285098

My back screams just reading that. Although I have a 'few' of my own coming.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9285274

Having just ordered 400 allium last week I can commiserate with you both but at least I'll only be planting the alliums once. For once I've resisted lilies, daff's, hydrangeas, and roses.

I'll still be ordering more than 100 caladium in January but I don't lift them and plant them in groups in May so that's fine with me. The more I grow them, the more I love them.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9287086

My tulips arrived. Still have daffy's from OHG to arrive.

Hey Dan. what is the ratio perlite-potting soil-moss that you mix for your winter storage of dahlia tubers. I am prepared to give up saran wrapping. I have too many to wrap individually and wrapping them together sort of defeats one of the main goals. Not spreading rot.
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 26, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9287176

The ratio is very precise... about a handful of potting soil, about a handful of peat moss and about a smidgen (teaspoon) of perlite. lol Seriously, I don't think it's really critical. I just threw it in a bag and barely dampened it. Better a little dry than wet. This past year we used vermiculite. No mixing and we lost very few tubers. I have tried the saran wrap with mixed results. The ones that were dried stayed too dry, the ones that were a little too damp rotted. I'd much rather use the open bag method and periodically inspect them.
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 26, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9287198

I couldn't get the tape measure across the back side, but at the widest point this Bonaventure is now almost 11". The color is turning more bronze. I like to grow new varieties every year but don't think I'll ever leave this one out. The "Rain Gods" have apparently decided to make up our deficit all at once. Today was our 4th or 5th nice, steady rain in the last couple weeks. No complaints, but we sure could have used this much earlier in the year.

Thumbnail by psudan

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9287204

Wow!! gorgeous. Yes, I am finding that growing the same thing year after year gets kind of boring. Course, if I lose anything I would prefer it were something that I was about to replace anyway.

I will get out my fine measuring tools for the mix. lol. I brought in some 12x12x24" planter tubs to layer my tubers in. They will be on the bottom shelves of my two five shelf growing shelves in the garage where I can check on them. It does seem like I should over them though with saran or something to conserve some moisture. Thanks
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 26, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9287246

Mary, how deep will you layer them in the pots? When I store them in the bags, some are not even completely covered by the mixture. I think the mixture is just to hold a little moisture. I put 6 or 8 tubers in the bag with 2 or 3 handfuls of the mixture, shake and let the mixture fall where it may. I don't think I would want them too deep so it would be easier to check on them occasionally. I once read where someone stored in straight potting soil and the tubers were a little too warm and started to sprout and grow during the winter. I don't know if that's true. May not be a problem if you keep them cold enough. I bought a couple of tubers this year from Tulip World. They came packed in peat moss. They were the worst looking, driest tubers I ever received but they grew like weeds. So what do I know? lol
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9287252

lol. All good information. I will use the zip lock bag trick. easier to store that way and I can get to them easily on the lower shelves. Runs about 50F or so in the winter. Maybe even a little colder sometimes. On the floor by the front garage door will freeze a turkey. these would be up a few inches. Well, off to 'plant' some tubers. Oh, mine start sending out sprouts around March even in the garage.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9287292

Okay, gallon bags with several in them or quart bags. I put about 2.5 handfuls in a gallon bag then only about 3 tubers the size of my fist (small hand). I will send a picture next time.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9287310

Okay. Here is the bag of fungicide I shake and bake them in (well, shake anyway - already gave them the 1:9 bleach bath and let them dry), bags of soil, moss, vermiculite and the other stuff (CRS), drying rack, bags. the popsicle sticks have names on them. I can wrap the top of the bag around and tape it to confine the soil around the bulbs or is it enough to have the moisture and drying elements in the same bag, not necessarily covering them. OR just shake the bag out so the tubers are sort of on top of the soil.

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 26, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9287437

When I add the soil mixture (vermiculite last year) to the bag with the tubers I don't take any pains to completely cover the tubers, although that might be good. I try to leave the top of the bag open and stand them upright in a cardboard box, sort of wedged together so they don't fall over. Being flimsy, the zip locs will try to roll over and close. That's why I check so often and try to keep the top open. When I say "open" I mean just so it doesn't seal. The danger is excess moisture can't escape. When I very lightly spray water during storage, I don't spray the soil, I spray the inside of the bag. If I still see moisture on the inside a couple of days later, I wipe it off with paper towels. There are probably dozens of ways to store and I only know what has worked for me. Two years ago I stored over 40 clumps (didn't divide until spring) and only lost two. This past fall my friends divided and then stored. I think we lost 2 or 3 out of 150-175 tubers.
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9287446

Good info, thanks, Love, Love, Love the Dahlia's. The blooms last so long compared to other flowers. Love, Love, Love.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9287522

Thanks Dan. I didn't know if I should seal or not. I will open them and store them and spritz them as you explained. thanks so much for your help. Now, If I have just cut them right...
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 30, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9290831

Vancouver. Hi pirl, remember this one? Not fully open but looking "gooder" every day. Thanks again.

Thumbnail by psudan

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 30, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9290848

My Hollyhill 6-in-1 Yellow finally bloomed. I love the color variations. I don't have one that is predominately red yet. These will fill out and be more frilly in a few days.

Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan         

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 30, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9290863

CG Coral is barely 4". I thought it would be a little bigger. The second one is Ludwig Helfert. The photo in the catalog was a brighter all-orange. Alpen Pauline is now 12" wide. Love it! The plant is only 2 1/2 '. Last one is Ruskin Andrea. Again, I was expecting a little bigger bloom. This one is about 4". With the late start I had, I'm pretty much pleased with what I can get. lol

Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9290896

the biggest I have is about 10". I can't imagine a stem that would hold a 12" bloom upright. Plus with the wet lately they are made heavier. Still Clearview Orca stays pretty upright, although the bloom is only about 6-7". they are all so beautiful but that Hollyhill 6-in-1 is amazing. Maybe I will give away my peonies and fill in those spots with dahlias. lol. NOT!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9290909

Dan - you've done far better with Vancouver than I. No blooms yet. Your Alpen Pauline is great though I am partial to the name Pauline, as in pirl (Pauline Isabelle Reid Loeffler), the late former neighbor in my former home who taught me how to garden. My blooms are the right sizes but the heights are way off from previous years. Beautiful colors and great shots. Love that soft salmon/peach color of CG Coral. Was that from Corralitos?

Mary - just send those excess peonies my way! LOL
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 30, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9290912

Mary, those stems are the biggest I've ever seen. Maybe with the plant being so short, everything is compacted. lol I've had this Seattle dahlia for 5 or 6 years. The coloring has changed so much, I had to look on my chart to see what it was. Very little white and none of the peach coloring. It got off to a very slow start like most of my others and is still barely 12" tall. This Kelvin Floodlight is the biggest I've ever had. It's 8". I can hardly believe this many large blooms from a single tuber. Wish I had noticed the two ratty looking blooms before I snapped the photo.

Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan      

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9290924

Dan - I find dahlias do change color as the weather gets cooler.

Was Seattle a different color (than you had previously) right from the start?

Thumbnail by pirl

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 30, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9290929

Arlene, the CG Coral is from Clack's. I always make a list of the grower who sent each tuber in case there are any mishaps. This year I received nice healthy tubers from everyone I ordered from. Any problems this year were strictly weather related (or me).lol
daisy_lee
New Hyde Park, NY

September 30, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9290930

Very pretty dahlia Arlene! What is the name of it? Which program do you use to get three pictures with dates? Great for illustrations.
psudan
Mentor, OH

September 30, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9290953

Mary, you mentioned the stems on Alpen Pauline. Did you notice the stem in the upper left corner and the one by my hand? I had never noticed them in the picture until just now. Absolutely huge. Arlene, the Seattle just bloomed a few days ago, so there is still time for it to change. The cooler weather and the fewer hours of sunlight do have an effect on color and bloom size.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9290955

Sorry for the wrong guess, Dan. I just figured CG stood for Corralitos Gardens. I still like that color.

Carol - I use Picasa (free from Google) and I entered the dates on the collage. It's Blown Dry. It performed well that year until a storm with strong winds broke it off at the base.

Thumbnail by pirl

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 30, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9290972

Arlene, maybe you remember this one from a couple years ago. This dahlia is reputed to be Aloha. The first photo was made in August and the next two were made in October. These blooms were on three different stems. The white one is totally different in color and form, appearing more like a cactus type. I gave this tuber to an aunt in Virginia and the following year it was all white. Strangest one I've ever grown.

Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan      

psudan
Mentor, OH

September 30, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9290980

The CG may very well stand for Corralito's Gardens. I don't know for sure. I've seen quite a few dahlias that are sold by someone other than the ones who cultivated them. The Hollyhills are probably my favorites and the most distributed.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9291017

How odd! I do remember Aloha. I had that at the same time as Hawaii and got them confused constantly.

I'm sure you're right about CG distributing their dahlias to other places for sale. I found the Hollyhill dahlias more unusual that other places and really enjoyed them, especially England's Glory, pictured here.

Thumbnail by pirl

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9291058

Dan, I see the stem. It is about the same size as the 'trunks' if you will of many of my dahlias, while the stems on some like Vista Lindsay, Sweetness and LaLuna are extraordinarily long (12-16") and very strong. Can't hold up under constant wind and rain very well, but surprisingly strong.

I am starting to dig this morning. We had a hard frost, frozen water on the top of buckets and not just a thin skim. I do two at a time clean and cut, set to dry on racks with their name on a paper next to them. Of course, I still have the name written on many of them from you and Tod. I have maybe a dozen bags now (quarts and gallons) sitting open. Am just not sure about this. I think I over cut on the first several dahlias, which is why I did mine first from the past years. Now that I am starting on the new ones, I have a better idea of what to cut and save and what to pitch.

I have tulips to plant, along with the astilbe's and hosta from Arlene. Plus dig another hole for the last peony (whenever they arrive - 7 of them). I really want my garage back for my car. It is set up like an assemply line with a huge pile of dirt in the center which will go into the peony hills. Otherwise I would be planting them in frozen dirt. It will also dry out the soil as it has been there for over a week.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9291482

I really need some advice on cutting up this tuber. It is Neon Splendor and I just love it. You can see in the first picture the entire clump, with the original tuber to the right and one tuber down. The stamped name is showing. I see the collar below the stem, then this thing that doesn't look like a tuber, then five or six tubers growing from that.
#2 shows the original tuber more clearly and more tubers growing the from the collar immediately under the stem.
#3 shows the back side of the clump.
#4 shows another strange thing growing below the stem with several tubers growing from that.

Should I assume that the strange growths immediately beneath the stem and collar are an extension of the collar and that pieces of it might contain eyes for the tubers growing from it.? Or is it only the tubers growing from the collar immediately beneath the stem that are worth saving.

Thanks for any insight.

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9291493

Wish I could be of some help to you, Mary, but I'm a total failure with the subject.
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 1, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9292161

I've never seen a double-deck of tubers before. I don't know if that is an extension of the collar or not. I don't want to give bad advice but if it were me I would concentrate on the tubers on the top half. There appears to be eyes there. I would get as many as I could of the obvious tubers with eyes and then take some of the ones on the bottom with a piece of the collar (?) and hope for the best. As I mentioned before, my friends save all the tubers (except the skinny neck ones) and in the spring throw away the ones that don't sprout. You have anything to lose by trying except for a little space. I wish I could ask the folks who divided mine but they are out of town until sometime next month. I couldn't see any eyes on most of the ones they divided last year. But by spring I think 70-80% had eyed up.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9292191

Oh my. I just realized that you're in Ohio. I was thinking that you were the "Dan" in "Dan's Dahlias" a nursery in Washington. LOL. I just placed an order with them to thank 'them' for the tubers YOU sent this spring. That is funny. Anyway, I liked what I read about their nursery and how it started so any excuse to order more dahlias. Yeah. I think your take on it is best. Get some from the obvious collar below the stem, then take some from the odd whatever it is and make sure I note which are which just to see what comes of the latter. I do love an experiment. Thanks.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9292253

Our own psudan Dan is nicer than Dan's Dahlias! They don't send boxes of tubers for postage!
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 1, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9292276

I could be arrested for trying to impersonate a dahlia nursery man. lol I'm still flying by the-seat-of-my-pants but hopefully learning a little as I go. Dahlias can be very weird. I was always told you "MUST" have a piece of the tuber collar attached in order to have a viable plant that will produce a flower. You may have seen a question I asked last spring (with a photo) about sprouts coming only from the stem area. I planted the tuber anyway and it produced a plant with a few blooms and a big clump of tubers when it was dug. The photos I posted a couple of days ago of Kelvin Floodlight are the results this year of that "collarless" tuber from a year ago. So, who really knows??
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9292280

Too true. Well, I meant well. And now I have some (more) new ones:
NTAC Eileen, Edna C, Tyler James, Show-N-Tell, Angel's Dust, NTAC Patrica, ---

Dan, I cut up Neon Splendor as you suggested. I am sure to get some good ones and if that weird thing turns out to be part of the collar, then I will be neck (no pun intended) deep in plants. It's like buying tickets to a lottery and waiting months to see if (how many) win.

psudan
Mentor, OH

October 1, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9292287

Thanks for the kind words, Arlene, but I'm not really all that nice. In fact, I try to do my "good deed for the day" early in the morning so I can be "mean" the rest of the day. LOL Thanks.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9292295

It reminds me of the prayer about "God, I have been really good. I have not cussed or been mean to anyone. I have not stolen or envied or any of that bad stuff today. And when I get out of bed I will strive to continue on that good path.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9292301

Dan - I don't believe you at all. You're a tease!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9292311

Curmudgeon. that is the work for me. "Mean' is to, well, mean. But being curmudgeonly has the flavor of something that is okay because of age and experience.
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 2, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9293649

Canby Centennial and Goshen Calico starting to open. Should look nice in a few more days. I just got back from my morning walk/jog. I hadn't gone far and had already seen about 30 deer. I talked to a homeowner who's property abuts the park. He showed me a flower bed that was probably 4' x 20' that he said was crammed full of day lilies this spring. The only thing left was mulch. Not even a stem left. His hosta was eaten almost to the ground. I felt bad and told him I would bring him some dahlia tubers next spring. It's getting ridiculous. I wish I could have gotten a better photo of the two bucks. My camera only has a 3x zoom. They are both huge. I call them "Edward Scissorhorns #1 and #2". Another huge one hangs around on the other side of the woods. The poor gardeners haven't got a chance.

Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9293679

I can see where the bucks have stripped the trees. Our moose do the same. My neighbor just installed an electrified fence (said it would knock a moose clear in the air.) to protect his two little maple trees. Only problem is we live in a cul de sac with lots of little children. It is rather sheltered but runs parallel to his walkway. Kids don't usually go to his house, but who knows. He pas posted it and had his wife send emails to all the neighborhood people. I don't think I agree with him. Damien says a moose fence would work just as well, but you have to make it lower enough also to keep the babies out.

I use plantskydd and assuming I am bright enough to get it on in time it seems to work very well. Kind of spendy though.

I am in step two on my dahlias having dug, cut up, washed yesterday. I am dipping in bleach today, then in a day or so into fungicide and the bags. I have managed to loose track of only three tubers. lost the label (piece of paper next to each group). Only one type per bag. Come spring as they show sprouts I will plant those and put a stick in each pot. Trying REALLY hard to be orderly about this.

I really like Goshen Calico. Nonette is very similar. And I cracked up at your names for the big dear. How incredibly appropriate.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9293852

Canby Centennial is a great color. I love when dahlias look hand painted. I'm eager to see my Goshen Calico - twice as curious to see where I planted it. Generally I take photos as I plant but I guess I forgot in spring.

I use "i must garden" deer spray and it does work but those sneaky deer must sense every bit of new growth and many of my roses have no new foliage (that was there yesterday) and no buds. When I planted a Burgundy Iceberg last month I doused it with the deer spray (smells nice and minty) and kept spraying it since it has one bud that did open and so far the deer haven't bothered it but I can see their footsteps in the garden.

I despise the deer and don't like the people who feel the humans are wrong and the deer should have the run of our well tended properties and vegetable gardens.

Thumbnail by pirl

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9293855

You and DH would get on great. He really despises those who snivel "but the moose were here first." I suspect he would as soon put a load of buckshot in their rears as in the moose. Usually those people have no gardens, and maybe not even homes, just condos. Where they can view the moose from up high.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9293858

The truth for this area is that the deer were not here first. I met a man who hunted with his father, right here in Southold, many years ago and they never saw a deer. Now there are herds of 20 and 30 ruining gardens and wreaking havoc with the farmers. They lose millions of dollars in crops and yet no action is taken. It's always - "We'll take it under advisement". That's short for: We won't do a thing because we'll get more votes from the deer lovers.
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 2, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9293902

I talked to a "they were here first" lady in the park last week. I told her the mosquitoes and cockroaches were here first, too. I asked if she did any gardening. She said no and that they had moved into a condo because they didn't even like to mow grass or do any yard work. I suppose that would explain a lot. I just read an article in our newspaper where the local police had recently shot 5 deer suspected of having EHD ( epizootic hemorrhagic disease). The deer is bitten by a tiny midge carrying the virus and is infected within 24 hours. The deer normally die with 5-10 days. I spoke with someone from the Pa. Game Commission and he said the deer become very lethargic, wander aimlessly and foam and bleed from the mouth. There were 8 found in an area I hunt in Pa. and some in the adjoining counties directly East and South of us. Many cases of EHD were found in Southern Ohio and Pa. last year. A freeze will kill the midges. I googled EHD and saw that it was found in New Jersey and Michigan, too. Not found to be contagious but who knows?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9293953

Now I need to go online to find the blood and foam so I can alert the police. Thanks for the tip.

An area nearby uses birth control for the deer but our town won't do it.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9294020

Hey, a 30.06 is a great birth control method.. Well, maybe not birth control, just growth control. Sounds like you have it worse than us by a mile.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9294064

Oh, I do like your idea. It's one of those no-fail methods. Our herd was 17 this past spring but now twins are commonly born so I have to hope they're all sterile.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9294090

I offer my services to make deer stew with corn bread for the whole neighborhood. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012

Post #9294096

Wonderful. I'd be thrilled to have it.
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 2, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9294106

Count me in and I hope the cornbread is made with buttermilk.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9294185

Me too!!! We had bison with rice the other day and it was great. Hmmm. I may have to try buttermilk. My step-mom's recipe called for 3/4 canned milk and 3/4 cup water but the buttermilk sounds better. Course using the canned milk I can make it spur of the moment. :)
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 9, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9300764

We have had frost warnings in the area this week. So far, so good. But I don't know how much longer my dahlias will last. I have several that are budded and I would at least like to see what they look like so I'll know whether I want them again next year or not. The first one is Hy Trio. Second one is Mingus Wesley. He is going to be a big boy but the first bloom is hidden down in the foliage. I hope some of the other buds open. Third one is Veritable Novelty. Both of my Hayley Jaynes rotted and VN was the closest I could find so late in the year. Next is Duet, which I've had for several years. Last is another photo of Canby Centennial. I hope the frost holds off for a few more weeks. I was still getting blooms the last few years in early November.

Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9300849

Beautiful photos, Dan.

My AC Rainier (thank you) has a few buds but no blooms yet. I'm anxiously awaiting them. Even a Home Depot dahlia, Star's Favorite, just has a bud and hasn't had a bloom yet.

Generally my dahlias go into mid-November so I'll cover them with sheets, if needed (and if it will help), just to get to see all the dahlias bloom.

I detest the frost warnings on TV weather or radio. I'd bet most of those reporting don't even garden.
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 9, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9300880

We are about a 1/2 mile from Lake Erie. Our frosts are sometimes a couple weeks or more later than areas just a few miles south of here. Arlene, every time I look at this Vancouver, I want to thank you all over again. I had no idea the bloom would be this big. This one is 9". I was thinking they would be 5"-6". I hope it has some good tubers. I wouldn't mind having several of these next year.

Thumbnail by psudan

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9300891

We're on a peninsula on Long Island and have water all around us but seldom get frost before 11/6. A few years ago we didn't get the last frost of the year. It waited until the following January, late in the month.

You're quite welcome, Dan. Mine hasn't given me a flower yet! No fair. Vancouver loves you more!

I found three dahlias, two with a lot of blooms, that I left in the porch window boxes over winter since I felt they were nothing special. All are waterlilies, pink - white - yellow. Now I'll save them so the fancy ones can show off next year.

I really like this one - no ID.

Thumbnail by pirl

psudan
Mentor, OH

October 9, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9300907

That is exactly the way this Aloha looked before it turned 90% orange and had the all-white and all-yellow blooms on other stems. Could it possibly be Aloha?

Thumbnail by psudan

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9300914

Gorgeous. I love Alhoa, Hy Trio and Canby Centennial. The multi colors are really eye poppers. Wonder where in the world they get those names.

Now that I know the colors and relative sizes of the plants, I will spend part of the winter figuring out how I want to arrange them in the garden next spring. And what to plant next to them that won't overpower them. Small annuals or taller wispy ones. Plus need to do the same for my lilies. Course I have two holes already dug in front of some lilies waiting til spring for dahlias. Plus the new ones that are coming. I pulled up some stuff that I was tired of to make room for more dahlias. Me? Hooked? Nahhhhh. I got my 7 peonies in the ground and that is the end of peonies for me. Well, meaning I won't be buying any more. I have some that have been in the same spot for over five years but don't think there is any reason to dig them up. I guess people leave them in the ground for decades.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9300969

I have a 51 year old peony but it was moved once and dug once to send to people who wanted it. No need to move them unless you have to or want to do it, or if they need more sun due to trees nearby giving them too much shade, etc.

It could be Aloha, Dan. I had that two years ago so maybe the tubers survived the terrible winter of loneliness in the basement. It isn't big - maybe 3.5 to 4" at most. When it stops raining I'll look again for a name.
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9304463

It has not frozen in my part of the city yet. My dahlias are still going strong. I love it. Here are Mom's Special and Lady Darlene.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2012 10:42 PM

Thumbnail by MyRee   Thumbnail by MyRee   Thumbnail by MyRee      

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
2:15 AM

Post #9304515

Lady Darlene is gorgeous. Sigh. I have 17 new ones coming in the spring and I would cheerfully add that one to the list. However, I would have to plant it in the neighbor's yard as I don't know where I will plant what I have. lol If I only get one plant per type, it would still be around 60.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9304559

Marie - they are lovely. Lady Darlene never disappoints.
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 14, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9304791

Lady Darlene is beautiful. That's one to add to my list for next spring.
daisy_lee
New Hyde Park, NY

October 14, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9304833

Lady Darlene is outstanding!!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9305164

Uh-oh! My tubers are sending out shoots, much less eyes. And some have little fuzzy stuff. The bags are open. I have never had them start to grow now! Help!! What do I do. The garage isn't that warm. Well, 55 probably for right now. Will drop down as winter comes on. Maybe I should move them to the basement or put them in black bags so they don't get any light
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 14, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9305208

Mary , you definitely need to keep them in a dark place. Mine are usually kept in the attic and about the only time there is light in there is when I check them. With the warm temps last winter, I moved ours several times. I even moved them to the tool shed occasionally when I knew the temps wouldn't get cold enough to freeze them. I've never seen them sending shoots this early.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9305213

Okay. Into the dark. While I am pleased to have the proof that I didn't destroy my tubers I am NOT happy to have them trying to grow this early. That may be why they are getting 'fuzzy' also. Thanks Dan.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9305215

Shoots at this time also sounds untimely to me but it may be due to your digging them while they were still in active growth. I know I read on DG years ago that new shoots could just be cut off and any tuber that makes any shoots will make more of them. It's that "fuzzy" stuff that would concern me. Air it out and see if the fuzzies disappear - then go to total darkness and cooler, if you can.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9305242

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I cut them down about this time every year. course I wrapped them in saran and buried them in a box in the dark so I don't know if they sent shoots but I don't think so. So into the dark and cold for them. I did dip them in the 1:10 bleach, dried, then shake and baked in fungicide. So much for that precaution. I think I should have added more fungicide as I notice some tubers were not as covered as others. Then I added more to the bag and from there they were really coded.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9305285

I have checked half the bags and it appears that the ones sitting toward the front of the container where they would get more exposure to light were the ones with growth, the most being about 1/2". Others have eyes showing. I only had three really iffy tubers that I pitched for being either fuzzy or having a slight greenish tinge. Considering their condition at cutting, I am not surprised. All others are in good shape, some with tiny eyes, some with none. For now I threw a black garbage bag over the bunch. I will check the others tomorrow, get some boxes and make sure they are tucked back further in the dark and where it is cooler. Will make it not as convenient for checking the bags, but then I would like to have something to check come spring, and of course during winter's interim check outs. But I am really pleased at those that are showing eyes.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9305289

I would be pleased as well!
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9305334

I have seen so many beautiful dahlia's here, then I walk through my garden and don't see how anything could be much prettier. I do need to have a few more though, just very special, very big ones.

Good luck Mary, I am finding such good information on storing the tubers. Mine are at least 3 weeks to digging time, but the rest of the garden needs to be trimmed, tilled and bulbs planted. Hope to find time.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9305884

It is 38F, lightly sleeting here. Glad we worked so hard yesterday getting the last tough stuff done for winter prep. I do need to get those last dahlias checked out, boxed up and moved down to a cooler spot, but at least that is indoors.
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 23, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9313704

The winds have been relentless recently. I was away for a few days and found a lot of broken stems when I returned. On the positive side, I had several more plants that have bloomed or are ready to bloom. 1.) That is a CG Coral on the left and Salmon Rays on the right. Very little difference in color, form or size. They look identical to me. 2.) Kari Fruit Salad. Where do they get these names? 3.) Clifton Tyler. 4.) Pablo. This one always seems prettier in the cooler weather. 5.) My #1 nemesis. At least they are cleaning up the crabapples and acorns that I would otherwise have to rake up. This is, of course, after destroying 80-something feet of my late green beans. Total wipeout. The temps have been in the 70's all week but are supposed to drop into the 40's and 50's for the next week or more starting Saturday with lows in the mid-30's. I have at least 6 or 8 more dahlias that I would like to see bloom. I think Mr. Jack Frost is right around the corner.

Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9313891

Sorry about the winds, Dan, and even sorrier about the rotten deer.

I agree about the first and second (in the first photo) looking so much alike. Kari Fruit Salad is nice - I love two colors in a blossom.

This photo was taken 10/21 when AC Rainier was just opening. The drizzle we had earlier has ended so maybe I can remember to take another photo of it today. It's lovely - thanks, Dan. I felt I had waited SO long that it might never bloom so I gave it a huge drink of Bloom Buster. Looks like it worked for this one and another I have potted.

Thumbnail by pirl

psudan
Mentor, OH

October 24, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9313925

Arlene, I'm glad AC Rainier is opening for you. I sent a tuber to my uncle in Virginia and he says his granddaughter is in love with it. This has been a freakish year and back in August I was beginning to think I wouldn't have a single bloom this year. Now everything is blooming, although most of the blooms are smaller. I had a Bonaventure that was over a foot wide a couple of weeks ago. Now the new blooms are only 4"- 5". The colors of some are more intense. I should have a few more plants blooming in the next few days. My biggest regret this year is only having been able to enjoy my dahlias for a few weeks rather than a few months. I have been doing quite a bit of bow hunting in and out of the state and I hope my friends who do the tuber digging have their shovels on stand-by. lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9313937

How I wish your bow hunting were done here, right down the block where 17 of the monsters dwell.

I had early blooms on the dahlias I never dug because I didn't like them! How disappointing. The others did finally bloom but I can't find Vancouver or Goshen Calico at all - and I don't have that many. Another one I left in place is a neon yellow (no ID) and now I like it is pictured below.

Let's hope your tuber digging friends are ready to move upon your notice: ready, set, dig!

Thumbnail by pirl

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9314028

Dan and Arlene your dahlias are beautiful. I have a Tahiti Sunrise that is the shape of your CG Coral but the color of the Pablo. Mine are still blooming away. It has been a fantastic year of color. It is forcasted to drop below freezing tonight so I will be digging in a couple of weeks. It snowed on the mountains and the valleys all around us got some. We just got rain.
It is much colder and it is coming your way Dan. Good luch digging. I have my shovel ready. Wish I could come help.

I see all the beautiful colors and forms here that I want to buy so many more. I am going to forfeit the vegetable garden and plant dahlias. (Actually, I am going to do just that in a few areas next year). I am trying to decide which few I must purchase. I like the B's to A's best. Suggestions of 'Must Have'?

This message was edited Oct 24, 2012 9:34 AM

Thumbnail by MyRee

psudan
Mentor, OH

October 24, 2012

Post #9314034

Marie, I wish you could come and help dig, too. I even have an extra shovel that I'm sure would fit your hands perfectly. lol My friends do almost all the digging every year in exchange for 90% of the tubers. They plant my daffs and tulips back in the same beds while I'm out loafing in my treestands. I like mostly different dahlias every year so it's a pretty good trade-off for all involved. What they don't know is I have about 500 daffs waiting for them to plant.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9314188

Marie - my own personal top ten would include these five:

1. American Dream - huge, splashed with a bit of purple.
2. Dixie Winedot - 5' tall, 8" blooms
3. Lady Darlene, big, bold, beautiful.
4. Blown Dry. The color changes by late fall to yellows and oranges but it remains beautiful.
5. Bodacious (different sites spell it with an S instead of a C in the middle)

Dan - do your friends get a map of where to plant the daffodils? I hope so!

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

psudan
Mentor, OH

October 24, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9314608

Marie, I mostly like the cactus type but love the bright colors of any dahlia. I've never seen an ugly dahlia. It's just a matter of personal preference, I suppose. My favorite this year was probably Bonaventure. These photos are from 2009-11. The first picture is a Witteman's Best. Hard to believe this many blooms on one plant and as you can see there are several buds not opened yet. I ordered this one from two companies the following year and each sent a small dark red dahlia which I think was Arabian Nights. I couldn't find it this year. The second picture is Firepot from last year. The white one is a late bloomer (late Oct. again this year) named Earl. It was over 10" wide but I won't waste space next year for a plant that only blooms a couple weeks. Sorry Earl, you will miss the cut next year. Last was one of my favorites from last year reputed to be Match. This spring the seller told me he was mistaken and believes it is actually Hayley Jane. I grow a lot of new ones each year and love the excitement of seeing one open that I haven't had before.

psudan
Mentor, OH

October 24, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9314627

Arlene, the daffs can pretty much go anywhere. I was a little more particular when I had tulips since certain colors seem to go together better. The long legged rats won't allow me to have tulips any more so I no longer have to worry about where to put them. Such a shame since after a long, cold, drab winter,I really needed the bright colored tulips in the spring. I just wish the daffs came in brighter colors.
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 24, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9314646

Beautiful dahlias, Arlene. My dad used to have a few dahlias every year. I assumed there was a red one, a yellow one, purple one, etc. I was absolutely amazed when I read of the thousands of different ones. I wonder if I started right now, how many I could ... nah, forget it. lol
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9314651

;) I love all the dahlia's. I will plant my favorites next year from what I have this year and order a few, maybe more than a few, of ones I don't think I can do without.
It is supose to get below freezing tonight and for the next 5 nights also. Is it ok to leave them in the ground? I would like to for the next 2 weeks to get the eyes more pronounced--- or should I dig Saturday?
Arlene, I think Lady Darlene is my favorite this year. It blooms like mad and is so colorful.
Xaltd1
SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

October 24, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9314655

LOL long-legged rats! I tried a few pastel tulips last year, and they bloomed, despite my fair share of the critters. I'm not planting any more b/c it was luck. Once they're found, it's hopeless. At least the deer have taught me not to waste my $! BTW, some Mass. towns are allowing cross-bow hunting to "thin the herds". Yikes! Can't they put out birth-control pills?? The thought of guys w/ crossbows in the woods (where I like to walk) scares me! A lady out walking her dogs was shot by a deer hunter last season- she was almost killed.
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 24, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9314685

I haven't as yet heard any reports about our city's bowhunt. I only know that I would never participate in an area this populated. A lot of the so-called hunters are new at this and think this is going to be easy because of the dozens of deer they see around the city. A blind man could pass the proficiency test that is required. I could stand back and throw arrows close enough to pass. Many people rave about the merits of a crossbow. In my experience they are often (not always) used by "newbies" who want to shorten the learning curve and don't want to put in the many hours of practice to become proficient with one of the hand held, hand drawn, hand released vertical bows. These are the hunters I try to distance myself from. Anytime something is made "easier", it usually brings in other problems. I'd prefer they shut down the parks for a week or so and bring in police or national guardsmen to thin the herd. If our city had had the courage to address this issue sooner, we wouldn't have the insane mess we have now. I have never read a single encouraging report about the effectiveness of the birth-control pills.
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 24, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #9314694

Marie, I think it would depend on how low the temps drop and how deep the tubers are under ground. If it stayed in the high 20's I don't think I would worry too much about it. Anything lower and I might go ahead and dig. The frozen ground won't make the digging any easier without a little warm- up. I'd play it by ear. I have a good friend who lives close by and says he has never dug his dahlias. They still come back every year. They are planted between his brick home and a concrete sidewalk with a vent from a clothes dryer close by. Maybe the brick and concrete hold enough warmth but still hard to believe with some of the cold winters we sometimes have.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9314962

I wonder if that is why Earl and Ayers White Knight never quite bloom. They might even get buds, but they never open. by October we are well into freeze zone so if that is their natural bloom time, it's far too late. Same problem with chrysanthemums. Gorgeous bushes, loaded with buds, but no flowers. Guess I will have to find someone down south to send the tubers to (those who produce eyes and I have at least one.)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9315438

Dan - how do your friends know where daffodils now grow? I plant a few muscari with every group of daffodils to alert me there are bulbs there even though there's no foliage at this time of year. I have plenty of extra muscari if you want them.

Thumbnail by pirl

psudan
Mentor, OH

October 25, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9315494

Except for one bed, the daffs are dug after dying back each spring and replanted in the fall. I have to have the space for my dahlias ( I had over 60 this year ) ,so the daffs get temporarily evicted. Thanks for the offer of the muscari but I'm just about out of room. A neighbor offered me some Lily of the Valley but I didn't have anywhere to put it. I appreciate the offer, Arlene.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9315510

Dan, is that 60 different kinds, or 60 all together.
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 25, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9315521

Mostly different kinds. I have 3 Ferncliff Inspirations, 3 Duets, 2 Bonaventures and 2 Hollyhill 6-in-1. I think the rest are singles. I sent some tubers to an uncle last spring. He gave a few to his sister and now they are both gung-ho. Dahlias have a way of "captivating the soul".lol They are now competing with each other. He is a big outdoorsman, but when we talk on the phone he talks mostly about the dahlias. He has sent me 3 picture cd's already this year. I think he is officially hooked.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9315527

Now I remember you said you dig the daff's to make room for the dahlias. Sorry I'm so blonde today!

I just counted and, much to my shock and surprise, I have 31 dahlias. Good thing they can have their own garden next year and they'll love it!

Now I can order some of my old favorites, sweet relief and joy.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9315879

I was thinking about planting my duplicates (or more) all together, well, not in the same hole, but in close proximity (maybe 12-15" apart instead of 24-30" apart), to simulate one very large bush. Mostly to try to maximize the space that I have. Especially for dahlias that have lovely blooms but are not particularly prolific with their blooms. I am also considering not planting my late blooming dahlias as I am pretty sure they just won't bloom. I will give particular attention to where they are planted and fertilizing next year as a test. If no blooms, then bye bye. Clearview Orca is a very tall plant with huge flowers. I could almost make a hedge out of them.
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 27, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9317094

Hurricane Sandy is angry and she hates dahlias. Forecast is calling for rain and high winds for the next 5-6 days. I had a lot of flowers broken over today so I hurried and snapped a few photos. I have a few more starting to open but I think the end is upon us. 1.) Light Accord. I love the pale yellow color.
2.) Mingus Wesley
3.) Worton Blue Streak is lavender.
4.) B.J.'s Gabe
5.) I think this is Island Flare. I planted this one as a replacement for a tuber that rotted and forgot to write down what it was.
Hopefully the storm will pass without too much more damage.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012

Post #9317347

Your dahlias are wonderful, as always, Dan. I love that very pale yellow one as well. A few years ago I lost Citron du Cap and I actually miss it. The color was very similar to Light Accord.

The storm is heading our way and the constant warnings on radio are endless. Tomorrow I'll go out cutting and trying to tie up all dahlias that haven't been tied well enough - still, I expect damaged stems.

Yesterday Star's Favorite finally opened. I planted it in a pot in May! To me it looks more like Pink Bad Hair Day.

I hope all who are in the path of the storm will remain safe, sound, unharmed and that we don't lose power.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9317366

Love the first photo here! http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardens/RHS-Recommended-Gardens/Features/Top-five-dahlias-to-try
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9317377

What a gorgeous dahlia! http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1080&bih=548&q=dahlia trelyn seren&oq=dahlia trely&gs_l=img.1.0.0i24.2625.6328.0.9234.12.11.0.1.1.0.125.1033.8j3.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.I-0fC5vnFMw
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 27, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9317449

Thanks Arlene. I like those "bad hair" dahlias. Except for the yellow center, it looks sort of like Park Princess. I love Rokewood Opal and started to order it last spring but didn't really need any more and hated to pay the shipping charges for only one tuber. Maybe this year. The one thread you posted showed Trelyn Rhiannon. One of my favorites from last year. I was sick when both tubers rotted this spring.
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9317467

As always the dahlias are wonderful. Arlene, the first thing that came to my mind when I looked at the pink dahlia was 'Madusa' the mythical lady with the snake hair.

My dahlia's are almost all brown from frost. I haven't tagged them yet, I better hurry although I know what everything is in the ground. I just have to tag them before digging.

Good luck with the weather. We had strong winds and snow. One friend lost her very large shade tree. It didn't hit any structures which was a blessing. We got over 1.5" of moisture.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2012
3:28 AM

Post #9317670

thanks for the URL's Arlene. What gorgeous flowers and gardens. Will have to look some of them up to see if they are available here in the US.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9317677

Well so much for those dahlias. I found Cafe Au Lait at Eden Brothers which is not one of my favorite vendors. But none of the others.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9317865

I found that site while looking for ideas for a dahlia garden. How I wish that first pink/yellow one was available here.

Now it's time for me to go out to save dahlia flowers and plant astilbes knowing the 5" of rain will water them in well.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9318235

All the astilbe got planted, lilies got cut back as well as giant crocosmia, tiny clover has been pulled and I did cut dahlias and snapdragons. The storm should hit here tomorrow and be at its worst tomorrow night. There is currently flooding 40 miles away, near Fire Island, and the rain hadn't even begun so it looks like homes there will be destroyed as is common both there and along the water's edge in Southampton but the people rebuild.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl      

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9318290

You aren't saying YOU will flood I assume?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9318370

Not unless the bay rises up 17', Mary!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9318394

LOL. Good to hear. I was going to send an inflatable raft for you and your husband and plants.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9318417

Thanks for thinking of us. I've already got the batteries charged so I can take photos if the water rises that high. We'll be up in the attic with the dog.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9318494

Let's hope not...tsunami's can do interesting things with water. lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9318504

A tsunami! That would mean all new gardens!
psudan
Mentor, OH

October 29, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9319707

It's been raining here for the past three days and very windy. The neighbor's big oak trees lost 90% of their leaves in a matter of days. The forecast is calling for winds up to 70 mph tonight. The power went out for a few seconds but came right back on. Maybe a different story tonight. Stay safe, Arlene.
Xaltd1
SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

October 30, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9320560

I hope pirl's still with us! Maybe she has waterfront property by now. I assume her power is out.
I hope all of you in the path of the storm make it through. We in N/E Mass. got off easy. 1.5" of rain, and the power was out for a few hours. Right now it's worse; we're getting severe thunderstorms and more rain now than the past few days.
I hope the tubers don't rot!!!!
daisy_lee
New Hyde Park, NY

November 3, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9323644

I hope Pirl is okay also. Here on Long Island we were hit very hard with the storm. Many large trees and power lines fell down and and some hit houses. We were lucky and without power for only two days, but telephone and internet service just restored. Most houses are still without power and many near the water have flooding. Stay safe Arlene!

Thumbnail by daisy_lee   Thumbnail by daisy_lee   Thumbnail by daisy_lee      

psudan
Mentor, OH

November 3, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9323675

I hope that her damage was minimal and that we hear from her soon. Still a lot of outages in that area.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9323699

My gosh. Those pictures are amazing. I mean, you hear about the damage but to see damage like that right on a street that could be your own ... scary. Arlene lives on Long Island doesn't she? Southhold, on the northern tip of a peninsula that is part of another peninsula. Right across the street from houses sitting on a bay I believe.
daisy_lee
New Hyde Park, NY

November 3, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9324010

Yes, Arlene lives on Long Island about 45 minutes east of where I live. I know that there has been a lot of damage to houses near the water but hopefully the reason why she hasn't posted is because her internet service is down. I hope she is okay and didn't get any damage to her house. Looking forward to a post from her soon :)
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2012
2:53 AM

Post #9324091

Waiting...Hope all is well as can be for Arlene. Prayers are for her and all who were / are affected by the storm.
Xaltd1
SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

November 5, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9325403

What a mess!!! My heart goes out to you all that were in the path. It makes me nervous b/c we are next; our hides escaped the last few hurricanes, but we're going to get clobbered soon.
I AM SO FED UP with all the destruction and the #$@&* political ads, emails and phone calls- hopefully it will all be over soon.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9327124

Alive and well! We were not swept out to sea and didn't get a drop of water in the house. The water did come up on the neighbors' homes who live on the water (almost IN the water!) but we were safe. Now I'm writing from the library but hopefully my new laptop will be ready for me tomorrow.

Right now storm Athena is raging outside but we'll have the worst of it while we sleep tonight.
daisy_lee
New Hyde Park, NY

November 7, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9327197

Arlene, I am happy to hear that you are safe and no damage to your home! Now we have the Athena storm and don't ever remember snow at the beginning of November. Mother Nature please calm down!!!
Xaltd1
SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

November 7, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9327250

Athena? They named the snow storm?

Glad you are safe, Arlene!
psudan
Mentor, OH

November 8, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9328026

Arlene, I'm really glad to see you made it through the storm o.k. I googled "Southold, New York" this past weekend to see what you might be going through. A lot of outages in the area. Anyway, glad to see you're back.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9328066

Thanks, Carol, Melissa and Dan. Yes, now they are naming winter storms and, believe it or not, Brutus is on the way but it's supposed to stay west of us. After that I assume we'll see Cleopatra so can Marc Antony be far behind?

More trees down with Athena, more rain, wet and sloppy snow...

I remain at the library until I can get along with the new laptop.
psudan
Mentor, OH

November 8, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9328069

We had our first frost Tuesday night and what damage the hurricane type winds didn't do a week ago, the frost did. The stalks are turning black and look so pathetic. What a difference a day makes. But it's November. I had a few new blooms before the high winds came, but the frost killed three more that had just started to open. 1.) Bold Accents 2.) Hayley Jane. This one surprised me since I thought both tubers rotted. 3.) Hollyhill Chrystal. 4.) B. J's Gabe. 5.) Skipley Gloria. This is supposed to be a "B" size bloom, but probably due to the cold weather this one is about 3 1/2".

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9328078

Beautiful, Dan. Love how #1 and #2 echo each other with the colors.

Last night was our first frost just as Star's Favorite gave me two more blooms yesterday (in the snow). The nameless neon yellow was the last good bloom I got and stood out so beautifully though this horrific time. My intention was to send it to the dump but now my heart won't let me do it.
psudan
Mentor, OH

November 8, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9328085

1.) Pre-hurricane Cynthia Huston
2.) I managed to snip a few blooms off before the bad weather hit.

Thumbnail by psudan   Thumbnail by psudan         

psudan
Mentor, OH

November 8, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9328105

Thanks, Arlene. This is always a sad time of year seeing all the beautiful flowers dying. But it's also the start of planning for next year's gardens. The on-line catalogs are out in all their glory and it's perfectly alright to go a little crazy ordering. LOL
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9328107

Luckily for me, I have the old Swan Island catalogs at home so I'm safe until I learn to work the new laptop.

Of course, I could go online here at the library but that's just not as much fun.
Xaltd1
SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

November 8, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9328471

Swan Island's catalog for 2013 is due to come out soon! I'll have worn out the pages before Feb. It is truly "Gardener Porn!"
But I resolve to buy from more far-flung, smaller outfits that need biz and have lower prices and no catalog. A confession: I just ordered $75 of tubers from Aztec. I forgot about them until I consulted the Dave's Dahlia growers page. Aztec has an awesome on-line catalog, and better-than-Swan prices on many of the same types. I made a mistake buying heavily discounted dahlias late season from Swan. They were so late in starting, only 2/3 ever blossomed. Swan seems to be able to hold their tubers in a state of suspended animation. HOPEFULLY I'll get the bargain in lots of tubers.
daisy_lee
New Hyde Park, NY

November 9, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9328606

Dan, you have so many beautiful dahlias and I love the group shot. Dahlias put on such a nice show up until frost, then we dream and plan next years garden.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9328773

I looked through the Aztec catalogue. They had Cafe au Lait thought it was sold out. Also Nick Sr @18.50. Boy am I lucky!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9329093

I'll go shopping tonight. While I was out of commission I went through my plant receipt folders and noticed the differences in shipping charges. I guess that will remain an issue with many of us who want plants from four or five different vendors.
psudan
Mentor, OH

November 9, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9329234

daisy lee, thanks for the kind words. Dahlias can be addictive. Many times while ordering on-line, I've had to slap my own hand away from the keyboard and tell myself,"Enough"! LOL

Mary, a friend of mine bought Cafe au Lait last spring from, I believe, East To Grow Bulbs ( maybe it was American Meadows ??). They were sold as clumps rather than individual tubers. When she divided the 3 sprouted clumps she ended up with at least 6 plants. They are usually 3 clumps for around $10.00.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9329321

I think I DID find it at American Meadows now that I think of it. In addition to Aztec. I looked up Aztec here and their record is rather varied.
psudan
Mentor, OH

November 9, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9329339

I just googled Cafe au Lait and found a sale at Blooming Bulb. You have to buy in quantities of 3 and the price is $2.07 each. I have to warn you though that I have not had much luck with ordering their dahlias. Over a two year period, I ordered 11 different ones and 7 were not what they were supposed to be and one never bloomed. Funny thing was they were always the right color in each case but the wrong dahlia. I noticed that they are in Oregon and I believe the tubers were sent from Michigan. I assume they are "middlemen" who are just sellers and not growers and don't have a hand in quality control. I e-mailed them and they were very nice and offered a full refund but I didn't take it. I haven't ordered anything but daffs since.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9329553

Yes, they are not on my list to order from anymore. American Meadows is on the edge but the fellow who owns it was so nice and sincere the last time there was a mistake that I really hate to 'blackball' him without giving him another chance. I am sure Cafe au Lait will come up at more reputable dahlia growers soon. Sweet May is another one I am looking for. I had one and it just galls me that I put it in the wrong place and didn't keep checking the tuber when it wasn't growing. It rotted. A very expensive one. Opsss. that was a peony not a dahlia.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9335224

Has anyone seen the new Taylor Swift dahlia. I just couldn't resist it. Got it from Dan's dahlias. It was 3.00 more than CG but I get a tuber. I just haven't had much luck up here with the propagated dahlias making good tubers. Kevin said it had something to do with our length of sunlight.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9335298

I haven't had it or even seen it.

I'm surprised that your length of sunlight would have detrimental effects on the dahlias. I'd have thought they'd grow to giants.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9335414

Oh they do! Huge. but the tubers from propagated cuttings don't always form tubers that can be saved. It has something to do with what triggers the plant to start storing nutrients to the tuber instead of to the flowers.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dahlias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dahliettas, gallery dahlias, jackpot dahlias Lenjo 12 Mar 7, 2013 6:27 PM
Dahlias and black walnut hart 17 May 16, 2008 10:37 PM
Will the real Edinburgh please stand up? mvespa 19 Apr 17, 2007 8:44 AM
NO H20 - Candy says "Hi!" Please say Hi back Poochella 11 Oct 12, 2009 12:13 AM
Do ya really really have to dig them? WayehMalamutes 18 Apr 14, 2008 6:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America