Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Pacific Northwest Gardening: SUCCESS IN POTS

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 56, Views: 469
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9282616

It is the time of the year when our plants in pots seem to be at their best. Please share your successes with us.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9282649

Love your picture. What is that beautiful green, 2 tone?
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9282659

A few more.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl   Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl   Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl   Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9282668

OH! Lost my second post. Darn! At any rate, repeating myself, I stuck mostly successes of the past: tuberous begonias, fibrous begonias, and impatiens.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl   Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl   Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl   Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl   

PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9282670

Will have to look it up in the daylight Jnette. A non-hardy shrub of some vairety. I keep it in the greenhouse over the winter.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9282722

They are all beautiful. Too bad it is so close to the end of winter. I have my tuberous begonias, dahlias etc. out waiting for the frost to hit them and then I will prepare them for the winter.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

September 22, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9283094

Sharon verry pretty.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9283118

Do you do that with more of your plants? Keep them over winter? You know, I have found that if you take cuttings from coleus and start new plants going into winter that you have nicer plants the next summer. Have any of you tried that? I wonder if that would work for some of the plants like you have in your containers.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

September 22, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9283240

I save coleus cuttings every year. This is one flat from spring. I really went overboard had a total of six flats. Way to much work. A few of my containers.

Thumbnail by springcolor   Thumbnail by springcolor   Thumbnail by springcolor   Thumbnail by springcolor   Thumbnail by springcolor

PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9283404

Wow! Nice! Yes, I also take cuttings and/or dig some of my container plants. Haven't had too much luck in the greenhouse for coleus as I don't keep it warm enough. ($$$$) Will try that in the house this year. The fibrous begonias start nicely as well as the geraniums and impatiens. Have had some luck with the calibrochia and even some of the petunias. The tuberous begonias I just leave in the pots and let them dry out over the winter in the greenhouse that is part of the barn---they don't need light when they go dormant, just dry and not freezing. They will also start from a cutting if you so desire...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9283474

Yes, I have had fairly good luck with begonia cuttings but haven't tried anything else you named. Petunias are so easy from seed I have been doing that. But, getting tired of starting a lot of seeds in my kitchen. They do good with the heat mat and lights, but most people start them without and have just as good a plants. Just takes longer without the heat and lights.

You don't have the cold that we have over here. I hear our winter isn't going to start until the end of November. Wonder if it is going to end in June. LOL, might as well as cold as our Junes have been the last couple of years.

Your pots are lovely.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9283535

I had the worst containers EVER this year.
Lessons learned:
1) Start VERY early or they never fill in
2) Stop going to Chicago once a month because housesitters let them all die anyway.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9283548

Just incredible, thanks for sharing.

Jan
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9283574

Summerkid, if you take a month off from tending them after planting, they don't have a chance. That lesson should be at the top of your list. Just doesn't work.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9284394

Beautiful baskets. Love the dark red begonia with the black leaves. WOW
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

September 23, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9284460

Thanks Willow. I got that from costco. Switzerland Begonia. Those $12 bags
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9285033

I have had those dark leaved begonias and they are beautiful.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9290579

I am always in awe of everybody's gorgeous, colorful leafy and floral containers. Thanks for sharing them.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9290992

Me too. For some reason I can't do them right. Maybe next spring we can get a lesson from the one's who can do it beautifully.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9291144

I am going to post a picture of a begonia and a geranium side by side. I didn't know these were what I had but when they started blooming, I couldn't believe how close in color they were.

Thumbnail by Jnette
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9291150

The sun was on them when the picture was taken so they appear faded. But, they are a very deep red.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9292888

Neat. Love the begonia. Had fushcias on the front porch and I want begonias next year.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9293165

I put trailing fuchsias in my rail plantings with the lobelias and bacopas and they come out real nice.
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

November 22, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9339978

[quote="Jnette"]Love your picture. What is that beautiful green, 2 tone?[/quote]

That is Ceanothus 'Diamond Heights'.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 23, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9341017

Jen, I want that shrub NOW. I Googled it and it will grow here and I could have it in my containers in my semi shaded courtyard. Looks like it is sold in Portland, Seattle and your area. I am so into variegated. I could not find it for sale on line.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9341677

LOL, Sharon, you have got to be kidding!! There is no way I would ever find a plant like that now. Possibly next May or June. I sent you an email with a web site where you might be able to get it in California. Do you know how big that gets? But, I suppose if you put it in containers that would keep it small. A lot of plants are like that.

Jen
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9341687

I'm near Seattle, and I just saw one at a local nursery's 50 percent sale. I was considering it, but I wasn't sure if it would make it through the winter planted this late. I got a red leaved barberry with a golden edge instead.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 24, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9341707

My son lives in Spokane. I will have him go to the nursery there and see if they have one. They can send it to me for Christmas.

Jen, I was not expecting you to get it for me. I was just stating my obsession and I knew you would understand because you know I am crazy and will go the end of the earth to find "The Special Plant" of the day. LOL. Sharon
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

November 25, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9341777

It's a small and low-growing cv. - if you find an old specimen it might be 6' wide and 18" high, but more often it is less than 3' x 1'.
It is not particularly hardy or vigorous.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 25, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9342041

Holly that barberry sounds beautiful. I'll have to look for one. When I went to Alderbrook I brought back my barberry that grows in a column. Love 'em.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9342121

Sharon, I know you didn't expect me to get you one. Just no nurseries in this area that would be open to sell shrubs. I don't think he would find one in Spokane either. But, he might. Jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 25, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9342488

I have the third car part of the garage for my zone pushers. I have already moved my plumeria and tropical hibiscus into the garage.

I had a hummingbird buzzing me in the courtyard this morning when I was having my morning tea. Maybe they know we are going to have a warm winter.

We are going to be 72 degrees again tomorrow. I have a garden helper coming tomorrow to help me clean up the garden. I will be glad when that is done. Have a great Monday. Sharon

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9350837

ATP just opened a PNWS forum!

(Edited to remove the link.)

This message was edited Dec 12, 2012 3:35 PM
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9353360

Rick, I don't know if you are aware there was a bunch of upheaval between these sites a few years ago. I'm not sure if it is okay to advertise the other site here. I enjoy your contributions, and wouldn't want you to step into a conflict unawares. For myself, this site has been an internet home for me for a while, and I'm not sure I want to move to a new place.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 8, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9353383

Ditto...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9353387

Just because you look at both sites doesn't mean you are disloyal to DG.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 8, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9353395

I look at both sites but I spend the majority of my time on DG. The majority of subjects I am interested in have very few posts. But I do think Admin would give you a bad time for posting a link to ATP. That is why I said Ditto.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9356573

Probably a good point. I thought the issues had been resolved, but I don 't want to be scolded by Admins.

For the record, I have NOT yet been scolded, at least not for that. I think that was knuckle-rapped once or twice for thread drift, which certainly IS something I repeatedly commit.. Maybe, once, politics?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9356584

Rick, think we all get knocked for "thread drift" from time to time. But, most of the ones who start the thread don't care. Some are adamant about it tho. Stick to the subject!! There is only so much you can say about most subjects tho 'till you start repeating.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9357240

I have connected with a couple of former DGers on Facebook, only to find they are rabid in the political department. So, I do appreciate the 'no politics' stance of this and other gardening sites. Keeps folks civil.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9357318

Yes. That is what I did also. Just to much for me.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9357487

I don't think it would hurt to have a forum on politics on DG for those people that really want to discuss (vent)? :0)
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9357763

I believe it is the rules that you are not supposed to talk about politics on Dave's Garden.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9357772

Didn't know we were. Think we were discussing the rules.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9358099

Yes but that is why there is no forum on politics.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9358102

I agree that it might not be a bad notion. I've found most gardeners to be polite and courteous, exchanging ideas in a civilized fashion would be a bit refreshing. It would likely need a good moderator to keep things in bound. No name calling or personal attacks, etc.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9358476

Monsanto was mentioned in one thread, and that got a little heated. Political motivations and biases colored the discussion, but it wasn't "about" politics, just about seeds and farming issues with political consequences.

A moderator stepped in eventujally and said in effect "we're watching", but commented that it was a civil and respectful disc ussion, so it wouldn't be closed.

There was a clear hint that it should STAY civil if people wanted it to stay open.

I've been in discussions of compost and soil amendment that became passionate. Some of the participants stomped away in anger "because you can't argue with mules". I would have thought those were about the very LAST topics in the world where anyone would think "there's only ONE right way", or especially "it is OBVIOUS that there is only one right way".

I got into an argument with someone once about how toxic silica gel is (amorphous silica gel such as flowers are dried with). I don't think we really disagreed very MUCH (it's much safer than asprin, and substancially safer than sand), and yet we sure argued about SOMEthing for a long time and with some passion. It seems silly now!
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9358678

I once commented to my son how refreshing it is to discuss things on DG because topics generally remain civil even when folks differ, and he responded that 'of course, you're all gardeners' which I think says a lot.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9359112

Rick, you wanna argue about sand with me? That would probably mark a new low.
I'm very pro-sand. Passionate about it, in fact. LOVE sand.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9359114

I really like that, on DG, I can get away from distressing stuff & learn something new about gardening. Sometimes, when something really awful is going on in the world & nobody can stop talking about it, it is a relief for me to log on here ... blessed silence.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 15, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9359542

I agree.

The only sand we have here is blow sand. That is what I started with 12 years ago. Pale, light tan blow sand. Now it is black and beautiful. Thanks to leaves, scraps, alfalfa pellets, coffee grounds and my beloved earth worms. But I also have about 20 containers with their own little environments.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9360101

Sand is good for indoor house plants.A little white sand on top keeps the gnats from getting in the soil and laying eggs.

WLS that sounds like the best kind of an accomplishment. Good for you!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 16, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9360315

Thanks Willow. But I have lived in Las Vegas since 1960. It took me all that time to determine what needed to be done.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9360770

>> Rick, you wanna argue about sand with me? That would probably mark a new low. I'm very pro-sand. Passionate about it, in fact. LOVE sand.

That depends! I also love very coarse sand, say 1-2 mm. Or grit: 2-4 mm.

However, adding medium sand or fine sand (1/8 - 1/2 mm) to clay doesn't do very much to help drainage and aeration. Since drainage and aeration are what I desperately need, that determines how I feel about fine sand.

I THINK medium & fine sand help friability, if you started out with nasty clay, so that you can break it up and mix in other things.

The main reason I got "down on sand" is that any bag I can buy in Home Depot (even "coarse" sand) is half or more VERY fine and dusty sand. I don't even call it "sand" when it puffs up into my face as I pour it from the bag. That's dust.

>> That would probably mark a new low.

You're probably right. Arguing about how to compost is one thing: there are many ways, and some reflect people's personality and philosophy. Most people would think sand is "just sand".

But we know better!

(Perhaps arguing about ARGUING ABOUT sand would be even lower.)

Or, as one character on Babylon 5 said: "Let's talk socks!"
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9360881

Makes me chuckle to see the original subject. Oh how far afield we can stray. No complaints.
enyeholt
Village of Port Clem
Canada

January 21, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9392492

Have been absent from the forums for almost a year... slackard
My garden shows the lack of interest too. As I get older, plants in pots
makes a lot more sense. They are protected more from Deer too which is
a huge problem here on Haida Gwaii. NW B.C.
Thanks for the `pot`post!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9392658

Nice to see you again. We have all been taking brakes also. But there are some of us still around.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America