Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Flower Name?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jenbrink
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9282877

This pretty much blooms all year. Full blooms in the spring and a few blooms now in the fall.

Short in height and bushy. Makes a great border plant. I was told it was a ground geranium, but could not find that in the Plant files. Thanks for any help!

Thumbnail by jenbrink
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9282882

Bloody Cranesbill.

(Hardy Geranium)
jenbrink
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9282893

THANK YOU! That was quick!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 22, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9283120

Yes, Geranium sanguineum.
chedderpink
Anacortes, WA

September 22, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9283143

And Jenbrink, they come in several colors and sizes. I have a small one (under a ft. tall) that stays small and has very delicate, pale pink flowers. Another that gets way over a ft. tall and has deep blue to purple flowers. The tiny pink one is a lady and behaves herself, but the blue/purple one goes nuts and tries to take over. Google "Hardy geranium" pictures and check out the possibilities. barb
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 22, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9283157

chedderpink, it seems you're referring to Geranium species in general... Geranium sanguineum does have a low-growing pink variety (var. striatum) but the species doesn't have blue flowers. It is rhizomatous, categorically, but I haven't found it to be invasive at all (seeding seems to be more responsible for its spread)... I'm guessing your blue-purple flowered invasive one is another Geranium species, some of which are pretty rampantly-spreading. Anyway, no question... "hardy geraniums" (Geranium spp.) are a great group of garden plants, with a large number of garden-worthy species and hybrids.
chedderpink
Anacortes, WA

September 22, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9283459

As you can tell I haven't exactly sorted out all the geraniums. I agree the blue one is something different but in the same general family. Thanks Barbara

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America