SOLVED: Flower Name?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

This pretty much blooms all year. Full blooms in the spring and a few blooms now in the fall.

Short in height and bushy. Makes a great border plant. I was told it was a ground geranium, but could not find that in the Plant files. Thanks for any help!

Thumbnail by jenbrink
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Bloody Cranesbill.

(Hardy Geranium)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

THANK YOU! That was quick!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, Geranium sanguineum.

Anacortes, WA

And Jenbrink, they come in several colors and sizes. I have a small one (under a ft. tall) that stays small and has very delicate, pale pink flowers. Another that gets way over a ft. tall and has deep blue to purple flowers. The tiny pink one is a lady and behaves herself, but the blue/purple one goes nuts and tries to take over. Google "Hardy geranium" pictures and check out the possibilities. barb

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

chedderpink, it seems you're referring to Geranium species in general... Geranium sanguineum does have a low-growing pink variety (var. striatum) but the species doesn't have blue flowers. It is rhizomatous, categorically, but I haven't found it to be invasive at all (seeding seems to be more responsible for its spread)... I'm guessing your blue-purple flowered invasive one is another Geranium species, some of which are pretty rampantly-spreading. Anyway, no question... "hardy geraniums" (Geranium spp.) are a great group of garden plants, with a large number of garden-worthy species and hybrids.

Anacortes, WA

As you can tell I haven't exactly sorted out all the geraniums. I agree the blue one is something different but in the same general family. Thanks Barbara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.