Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Chimney concern

Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Hi all,

I'm looking for comments from someone in the know please... Basically i've moved into a house with a wood burner installed in the living room, however the chimney is virtually non-existent! There is a steel liner in the chimney going all the way from the stove to the roof, but my concern is that the gasses come out so close to the roof. Today I managed to get the photos you see of the opening.

Is this a fire hazard? Should I get a proper chimney built?

Any comments much appreciated.

Thumbnail by extremebiker0 Thumbnail by extremebiker0 Thumbnail by extremebiker0 Thumbnail by extremebiker0 Thumbnail by extremebiker0
Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Short answers: Most likely and Yes.

For me even a bigger concern than fire would be having my house filled with smoke and fumes.

What is around the clay tile I see sticking out of the roof. Concrete block or brick? Height wise the chimney should be like those you see in the background in your first photo.

I also wouldn't be surprised that the roof will also leak around the chimney. I don't know anything about the building code and how inspections are done where you are, but I can't see any US insurance company being willing to insure that set up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.