-
AuthorContent
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9282965

Well, we made it to Fall, drought, heat and all. Harvest from garden quite thin. Plenty of acorns. Falling leaves all have assorted holes and nibbles in them. So, I pause with you in our planetary journey as the light and dark have equal sway and remember a song from years ago to take with me on the journey ahead and hope we will all stay low to the ground and close to the earth in the days ahead.

LOW TO THE GROUND
Words and music by Libby Roderick
c Libby Roderick Music 1991
BMI. All rights reserved
From Thinking Like a Mountain

We stand on the edge of a cliff in the deepest night I've ever seen
People looking for light, people who cherish a dream
But the light's shining out from our eyes and the dream's resting deep in our souls
If it's magic we're needing to keep us from falling, it's magic we already know

It's music that keeps us alive, it's dancing that sets our hearts free
It's children remember the laughter in life, it's animals teach us to see
Stay low to the ground, live close to the earth, don't stray very far from your soul
It's simple things show us the reason we're here and it's simple things keeping us whole.

Tell me the place you were born, the lives your ancestors led
The ground that surrounded the people you love, the streams from which you were fed
It's the wind that carries the seed, and the seed that carries the song
The food that we're eating is rooted in soil, and it's soil that is keeping us strong

It's music...

The temples are falling around us, we stand strong and fierce where they've been
I never have seen a holier sight than a person who sings in the wind
Our blood is the river of life, our joy is the sun on the land
All of the love that is inside this heart is more than one person can stand

And it's music...

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276207/

Lets keep chatting, Judy

Thumbnail by coleup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 22, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9282975

We cross posted Judy...so my moaning and groaning of stink bugs shows on the other thread. My so very bad...Anyway...oh yeah, keep on chatting...and Judy, I hope you are having a great weekend.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9282982

I will c/p my last Post--for those who would like to go to Rawlings to take in their spectacular shows of the Seasons.

FALL HAS ARRIVED--RIGHT NOW, AS I WRITE THIS!!!!!

Below is a c/p from the Rawlings Newsletter. The Mum Show will run from Sept. 27--Nov. 11th.
If you have never been to Rawlings--you are missing a GEM!

Fall Mum Show and Preview Party Fundraiser

Mark your calendars! You will not want to miss the spectacular Chrysanthemum Display. The Dragon's Garden: Elements of the Chrysanthemum runs October 27 - November 11. The Preview Party will be October 26, 6 - 8 p.m. W
We will be sending out invitations soon with information about how to purchase your tickets.

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9283026

I started a yarden maintenance thread for Fall here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281155/

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9283124

I am always glad for fall , will miss summer ,rarely looking forward to winter, and too impatient for spring and a chance to play outside without having to shovel snow. Still tomatoes and a few vegies coming in from the garden.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9286733

Good article today by Diana Wind on arsenic in rice
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3926/

Many of us met Diana this Spring at Holly's plant swap. She knows her stuff. Thanks Diana.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9286996

I have a picture of the new fence!

The first is the before pic and the second one is from today.

As you can see, it went from all ivy to all vinyl. :/

I really hated that ivy, but I'm missing the pop of green. I was going to plant the swap items (ferns, groundcovers, etc.) right away, but the soil is so compacted and full of clay that was dug up.

Thumbnail by ssgardener   Thumbnail by ssgardener         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9287020

SSGardener, Gypsum may help break up the clay, if you don't have enough organic material.We'll have to see if we can bring you a load of compost next year, Ric
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9287098

Or you can rent a truck from Zipcar (or I can do it for you), and we can drive to the nearby stables and you can shovel all the horse manure you want... It'll do wonders!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9287103

Ric, thank you for that generous offer! I was thinking about getting compost delivered from College Park.

I know better than to leave that soil bare. It seems weed seeds sprout within weeks (or even days) of being disturbed.

Happy, I was thinking about doing that too, but I've never gotten manure before. How bad is the smell?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9287107

My mother once gave me a truckload as a birthday present! And I've dug it myself several times.

It is mostly composted, but still a little fruity. Not too bad. Probably depends how long the particular batch you dig has been sitting. With the weather cooler, it shouldn't be a problem.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9287126

Ssg where in college park?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9287133

Terp, I was going to order from here:

http://www.collegeparkmd.gov/smartleaf.htm

$18 per cubic yard of compost

$7 per cubic yard of wood chips

Plus $35 delivery fee since I'm not a CP resident.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9287140

Pretty good price though...even with delivery. Thx.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9287148

SSG - There is a location in nearby Takoma Park where you can go and load up all the city-composted leaf mold you want for free. You provide your own labor and transportation.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9287154

Greenthumb, I'd forgotten all about that place in TP. I need to go see how much compost they have left.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9287155

Hmmm okkkk where is that?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9287166

White fence is way better than white-as a ghost-scared Terri!!

Thats a good price on compost and chips!

I dig manure too. I never find horse manure too smelly. Its much more tolerable than cow. It smells LESS than some of the 'fresh' mulch that you smell on commercial landscaping in spring.

I knew a guy who got his wife horse manure for mothers day. Yup he was a great guy!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9287171

That College park deal on wood mulch might even be worth my gas money. Places I priced here were 30 per yard or maybe 33$

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9287186

Takoma Park Municipal Leaf Compost - Going west on MD 410 - East-West Hwy, turn right on Maple at the light at the bottom of the hill. Go a few blocks and turn left on Ritchie Ave. Go up the hill, make a jog and Oswego is on your left. Turn onto Oswego and go to the end, about a block or so. Self-serve leaf compost is on the right. (At least this is how it was the last time I was there, which has been a number of years.)
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9287247

Terp, here's the website for Takoma Park leaf mulch:

http://takomaparkmd.gov/publicworks/leafsche.html

The info on free self pick-up is at the bottom of the page.

They also have really good prices for delivery, even for non-residents:

http://takomaparkmd.gov/publicworks/mulch.html

When I called last fall, they didn't have much left.

Sally, you certainly have a way with words! :) It's hard to describe in words how good it feels!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9287330

Love the new fence, SS especially the fact that you don't have to see those dogs!! (or the neighbors-oh, did I just say that)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9288865

SS. How did you manage to keep those aggressive dogs at bay until your fence was installed? In any event, good work! Since the dogs can no longer see you or your cat, have they calmed down some?

So, what plants, shrubs or trees might you be interested in for greening up that area? I'd be so tempted to do a quick and dirty 'raised bed" or two by just dumping whatever amendments, etc I could gather on top of compacted clay without working it in and all. 6-8 inches of good stuff can grow many a green thing!

Alternatively. I've been known to pile up fall leaves, run a mower over them once or twice and then plant my containers of plants where I might eventually dig them in. With enough leaves, they actually look like they are planted there! And the leaves over the compacted soil for the winter will loosen it up some by spring and they area will appear somewhat 'finished' while nature does its thing.

But that is just me, the lazy gardener before lazy gardening was cool. Have fun and let us know what plants we can bring for you at the next swap or sooner!

PS, Happy, LOVE your Mom's BDay gift to you! She sounds like a kindred spirit, too. Did she inspire your love of gardening?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9288874

Coleup -- re my Mom -- she was a lot of things -- many of them very fine -- some best told after a few drinks...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9288963

lol Happy, I hear you on that!

For my 18th BDay My parents surprised me with a delivery of long stem red roses to my dorm with a card attached that said "One for every year we've loved you" There were only 17 roses! I know because my room mate and I both counted them as we placed them in the accompanying vase!

I took it in stride, but 17/18 did contribute to that nagging reservoir of "unlovability" we all wrestle with in our own ways. Not having high expectations is, I suppose, a learned behavior. Or, does one 'missing rose' discount the presence of 17 other fragrant beauties even if it wasn't intended? Which it wasn't. My parents were livid that the florist messed up once I finally told them about the mistake. Yeah, I finally told them after I couldn't figure out which year I wasn't loved!

See you all at the next swap. Sensitive extraordinaire, Judy
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9289028

Your parents must have been furious, after going to that degree of thoughtfulness (and expense) only to have you feel partly unloved -- what a funny story!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9289115

Thanks, Jan! I was *very* angry with the neighbors, but actually felt sorry for the dogs. The adults would chase the dogs around with branches/switches and threaten and yell at them. :(

Coleup, I hardy went outside this summer. Paul saw the backyard a few weeks ago, and he'd be able to tell you that it was very neglected, especially by the fence line. Most of the shade plants I got at the spring swap died from this neglect. :( Strawberry begonias, ferns, turtlehead, etc., all died.

Right now, I'm piling on the organic materials and waiting for more leaves to fall! I still need a ton of mulch, though.

And I was always told that flowers should be given in odd numbers. ;)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9289195

Susan-

Funny you mention that--ss---I also remember that saying...Wow--this is digging deep into my past life.
Don't remember who said it or why...

coleup--I had a whole different perspective on the 17 roses and loving you one for every year...

Here WHY I had a different "take"...

You were in college (you mentioned a dorm) and as we all know--kids in 1st year college can
do many other things besides studying. Like partying--drinking--messing around, etc...
In other words--giving their parents gray hair--as college costs a lot of $$$$. And--many students
waste away a year flunking out of classes because of the above mentioned activities.

SO! I thought--your parents have loved you for 17 years-but were leaving the 18th year as a
"we will see...we will see...if we will still love you". Kind of a tongue-in-cheek reprimand...behave! Or else...

Anyway--that is what i thought...I always think psychology first...

Gita
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9289318

And my first thought was that someone in the dorm helped herself to one thinking that noone would ever count how many were in the bouquet.

Ss, Animals get bad raps because of their owner's behavior. Still glad there is more of a blockade on that side so you can enjoy your own yarden again.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
12:59 AM

Post #9289570

Terri (ss) so glad you now have the comfort factor with that fence, and now a new gardening area opportunity as well! You'll have fun creating those beds.

My favorite presents received have always been "slightly" untraditional for what women usually wish for. One year I received rainbow trout for stocking the pond - pretty funny story about that (my birthday is in February) but I'll tell it later. On other occasions I received a 12' step ladder, a great new wheel barrow, a canadian hemlock, etc.. LOL

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9289573

Yesterday, Mike called me at work to tell me that he had been sitting at the basement computer working on invoices, and he had an odd feeling that he was being watched. He had the door wide open because of the nice weather, and when he turned around to look, a deer was standing there in the door frame looking in. When he got up, the deer casually turned and started grazing on the plants in the garden. He finally called out to the deer "are you full yet?". The deer lifted its head, swiveled its neck around to look at him with those innocent doe eyes, and had a mouthful of my fine plants hanging from its mouth. The audacity of these deer LOL. I fear it will be a never ending battle...

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
1:25 AM

Post #9289577

Native Plant Sale today just off of the Beltway and 395:
http://home.earthlink.net/~sknudsen/
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9289702

The audacity of those innocent-looking creatures!! That was too funny. Guess it just wanted to share in the chores. Guess you better go to the sale to stock up on some new and tasty treats for them. Heehee
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9290029

I'm off to meet Holly at the beach in NC. for a week. Since we didn't replace our lap top yet, I will try and check in a couple of times from the local library. Later Ric
sissystars
Perkasie, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9290448

Coleup:

Your opening post was just lovely. Thank you so much.

Like SSgardener, I let a lot of areas go this past summer. Now I am trying to at least get things improved for the next season. I'm going to post on the Gardening Ethics thread about a choice I have made in the face of (1) age[ing] and (2) ever-new weeds/grasses.

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9291086

Critter, I wanted to thank you for the heirloom phlox that you shared with us this spring. I have several different varieties, and they all got very bad mildew except for Felicia's phlox, even though they were all planted right next to each other. I just had to cut all of my phlox down, dig them up, and dispose of them (along with the soil), but Felicia's phlox is still blooming and looking beautiful.

Btw, this is a good reminder for myself to start being diligent about labeling.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9291172

SSg - In your post from Sept 28 you said that all the plants you recieved at the spring swap had died from neglect. Many plants go dormant and disappear at times of drought and neglect, only to re-appear later, perhaps the next spring. Do not presume your plants are all dead and dispose of them.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9291356

Greenthumb, it was mostly the plants by the fence line that were neglected. I'm hoping the cinnamon fern reappears. That was a really pretty fern. Some of the plants got "eaten up" by the aggressive ivy that was covering the chain link.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9301714

Which weather is right? We have predictions ranging from 28*F and 42*F for nighttime through just this weekend. Wish I could get a job as a forecaster, LOL I wonder if they get incentives if they get it right?
Maybe you could work for 2 stations and spread the forecast to insure at least one was right!
Anywho, we started migrating our tropicals to the greenhouse today. We have a few more to dig and pot before we get a killer frost. I also started to take cuttings of some of the more tender and expensive plants I'd like to have for next year. I probably have a dozen Persian Shields and some Lantana. We also potted the banana pups and placed the parents by the south-side of the compost to make heavy mulching easier.
TO BE CONTINUED...

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS         

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9301777

Holly---

Have you rooted a Lantana before? or are you just digging it up to keep in the GH?
I love lantanas--and they cost a bundle in a 4" pot in the spring.
I have 3 Lantana plants in my :YUK" bed. They never do much until about this time.
They seem to like the colder weather.

IF you are propagating these--[lease tell me what you are doing?

Nice weather today! As always--i was outside about 5 hrs. straight working away.
It is amazing how small chores can take hours to accomplish. Some were NOT so small!

Thanks, Gita

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9301820

Gita, Most commercial Lantana are raised from cutting, we used to stick cuttings in sand beds that were misted regularly. I try to include a leaf node and use root-tone. I'm trying them in Oasis under a dome with my Persian Shield. I may try some more in peat/sand mix if I have time, using a seed starter heat mat. That should produce a sturdy 2" that can be upsized to 4" before last frost (Mother's Day). Sorry for rambling. Ric

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9301975

Holly--

My Persian Shield cuttings rooted just as fast as the Coleus. I was amazed! I have 2 six-packs of them.
I do not think you need a dome for them. No harm--just that they will root fine just under some lights.

Oasis may be a good idea for the Lantana. Still not sure I have room to try more rooting things.
Both shelves in my small light set-up are now taken. I put my baby AV's under there too.
Donner has given me quite a few--and they were just languishing on my dim LR windowsill.

Also several pots of Blushing Suzy bunches--the leaf-bunches that grow along the vines-like every 6"-8".
This is an experiment. Just cutious if they will root. So far--they look good.

I am also almost done with collecting all the seeds that there are. Still a few straggler Zinnias,
but the seeds don't seem to be setting a well in this colder weather.

Now to sort them all out and organize them in the little baggies.

Holly, Did you see these pictures I posted on another Thread here? I am at a loss what kind of a Lily they came from
I saw the pods growing on this clump all summer--but I did not see any blooms.
However--it is behind my bird bath and a short stump in the back of my :YUK" bed corner. I may have missed it.
The leaves are shorter and more upright than the day Lilies right next to them.

I have a long ago memory that I planted these there. I thought they were Tiger Lilies growing from seed.
I remember how long it took--so when they got a semi-presentable size--I planted them in this tight spot.

Any guesses what kind of a "Lily" it may be??? They are NOT Tiger Lilies!!

Here are a few pictures:
1--Here is a pod and all the seeds. They are the size of a med. sized pea.
2-Here is the pod close-up. There were about 6 pods.
3--Here is the clump. You can see how tight they are--and also the leaves--thinner and upright.

Any guesses????

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal      

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9301978

That's awesome gita! Nice work with the shield.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9302026

Gita that is surely some kind of Lily but does NOT look quite like Belamcanda /Candy lily that I have. I think John was offering some sort of blackberry lily/ Belamcanda...I wonder .. Blackberry lily seeds turn black, I don't think they would stay red...but I could be mistaken of course.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 11, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9302159

Not sure about your seeds Gita. You are right about seeds not quite getting finished. I have tons of seeds on the Hyacinth Bean Vine and they sure don't look ready. I wonder if I take them now if they will mature.
Have to check the Castor Bean and see how those seeds look. Very frustrating to see so many seeds but not be able to harvest them for next year.
Sally, Funny story for you. A few weeks ago I found a loose bulb laying in a corner. I'm pretty sure it is one of the Gloriosa bulbs you gave me that I must have knocked down and it didn't get planted. So I potted it up and they are just starting to grow, I wonder if I will have Gloriosa Lilies growing in the GH this winter. Wouldn't that be fun?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9302195

Sally--

Planting these "lilies" back in that corner pre-dates me knowing Ruby and John.
It really has been a long time ago. Do not know exactly when.

I know one thing! I will be keeping an eye on this little clump next year.
Better throw a handful of Bulb Food on it. it is in such a deprived, crowded in spot.

There are a few black Seed-balls on the plate. Look again. And--many of the red seeds are starting to shrivel up.
I am wondering what the seed inside there looks like...May have to peel one...The red is just a cover..I think.
I may also have to plant a couple of them and see what grows out of it. Yes! I shall do that...

Cold again! Supposed to be more cold nights coming up--I think Friday...42*.
May just have to turn on the heat...hate to--but there DOES come a time...

Gita

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9302198

Lantana are easy to root. In fact, some of the spreaders will begin to root where they touch the ground, or can be bent down and covered with soil to create more. We always had one or two nodes for sticking cuttings. Best done before temps fall below 60, but, Ric, that bottom heat should help. "Confetti" was always easy, but I liked 'Tangerine' alot fragrance wise. Again, we grew them in a cool greenhouse over winter rather than keep them in active growth.

Gita, don't you overwinter your mandaville? Cut back to 12 inches and then put with brugs in basement?
Or are you over that? Sounds like you would enjoy an expanded lighting et up for your indoor winter gardening!

As I recall, Donner's AVs are gorgeous!

Holly and Ric I love your pics and how thoughtful of you to take your tropicals on a tour before reaching their winter digs! Remember many of us want to see before and after pics as the (heated!) greenhouse fills up. Would also be interested to hear of any plants you decide not to overwinter!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9302481

coleup---

My Mandevilla is in a huge pot--maybe 18 diam. I have heard that they can be overwintered--
but it just seems too big an effort.
Here is one time "el cheapo me" will spend the 420 to get a good-sized, already growing plant.

About 3 or 4 years ago, I tried to overwinter it outside. It grows on the east side of my house.
So--NO blustery NW winds will get to it. I cut it back and wrapped burlap all around it and filled all
the space with dried leaves. Nothing came of it the next year.

Sadly--I ONLY have room for the 3' light set-up. It is in front of my BR window which also gets full sun.
Wish I had room for a 4-footer set-up...That would have also cost me a fraction of the 3-footer cost me.
I like it where it is--as i can always keep an eye on it, water when needed, turn thje trays around, etc...

Again--just to remind you all what it looks like...As you can see--there is no more room on either side.
This was taken a few years ago...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9302534

Gita those lily seeds might then be something like blackberry lily. My blackberry lily have their fans of leaves up on about five inches of stem. The flowers are much smaller than reg lily - like only two inches across, and so could be missed in bloom. Did you say you did not see or recall them in bloom?

I tried to overwinter a mandevilla with poor results- but mine probably not as hearty going in as gita's

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9302597

Sally--

I guess i will have to wait until next year...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9302607

This clump does not have any "fans". The leaves radiate out from the base.

Just went out again to see. The leaves are fairly stiff and and a bit sharp along the edges.
Like--I would not want to run my fingers up the edges too fast--might get a cut.
There are NO teeth or serration--they just feel a bit sharp.

I parted the clump a bit and took a picture of the base. Seems the leaves all radiate
from a central base. Seemed that this clump may be quite old---as I thought, since
I said I remember planting it a long time ago.

And--the mystery continues...but we shall see next year...

Here is the picture...plus one seed that has fallen down.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9302787

Good description. I am stumped!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9302920

Hello all. I'm enjoying all the discussion on plant id's and cuttings - both are areas that I know absolutely nothing about. I don't think I'll ever have the knowledge that you guys have on plant id, but I actually tried taking cuttings from two scented geraniums (organge and rose). I picked them up in Berkley Springs, WV on a spring iris adventure with critter and my neighbor friend Cheryl. One of the things that I love when working with plants is that usually they are associated with good friends and good times, brings to mind many fond memories in the process. Well anyway, it was one of the easier chores that I tackled last weekend. If they take off, I'll be pretty excited. Nothing like hands on trial and error to start feeling comfortable with things that you don't have any experience with.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9302981

Heads up!!!!

Tonight--37 degrees predicted here in East Baltimore County.
Get those plants in! Highs today--in the lower 60's. Another beautiful day, but the evenings
and mornings are pretty chilly. May just have to turn on the heat tonight...
I just got up--it is 55* in my house. BRRRRRRRRRRR...Hot coffee tastes good!
This is good weather to make a big pot of soup...

I suppose i will have to bring in my Spider plants HB's and some other stuff.
The brugs will have to wait. The Dr. is full of buds---again.

Will leave the CC's out for a bit yet. Saw a small flower bud forming on one of my babies
by the front door. Must be time...
Where, oh where, will I put all the25 pots of my baby CC's??? They are in 4" pots now
and will no longer fit on my window sashes...:o( Anxious to see some of the different colors...
Pinks and whites--as I gathered a lot of broken off sections last winter from the racks of CC's at Lowes.

The birds are so ravenous! Been feeding them for over a month already.
Been seeing a new one (to me)--a White Breasted Nuthatch. They are SO fast!

On that matter----Costco has a 40lb. bag of Audubon Bird seed for $19.99.
Full of both kinds of Sunflower seeds and hearts, Millet and Safflower seed. No Milo...
Compared to other places--I think this is an amazing deal. I have 2 bags waiting...
Have not opened them yet.

Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9302997

Freeze warning tonight!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9303006

[quote="UMD_Terp"]Freeze warning tonight![/quote]
ACK! What to do with that huge pot of the Dr Seuss brug. And the Strelitzia- keep forgetting its over there. It looks great right now and the pot is not very big.
But considering myself lucky I am home today and might do something about it. Still, the trees are well leafy and giving some cover to potted plants underneath. . Its the sunny areas that will go first.

I planted several kinds of radish and winter type greens seeds yesterday. We'll see. No idea what they'll do.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9303098

Sally---

Here they only said that actual freezing temps may be in the Northern and western Counties.
As I said--they have called for 37* here. Then tomorrow--we may have 70* again during the day.
I sure don't trust Mother Nature all the time...

As far as your Brugs--they will probably not be too affected, but i would throw and old sheet over them.
Use cloth pins to hold it on--clamp them on to a few branches.

I am not sure if I want to bring my 3 pots of Epis in yet. I believe they can take a snap.
They are SOOOO heavy. If I bring them in now--I do not want to take them outside again.
I shudder every time I hang those heavy pots on the ceiling hook. I can just see it come crashing down.
Then I will cuss a bit--but root up a bunch of new cuttings...:o)

Question, Sally----or anyone else...

If I sprinkle some leaves over some of my beds, could I dig off the top layer of my raised bed and
put that soil on top--keeping in mind that this layer has all the spores of the early blight from my tomatoes in it????
Would these affect other plants? Like DL's, Asters, Lenten Roses, Columbines, etc...

Carolyn said I should, deeply, dig up my raised bed and turn the top layer over to the bottom
so the Blight spores are down below. That will be a very hard chore!
My raised bed is already full of feeder roots from my Maple--in just 2 years. I cannot even dig
my trowel in there without a bit of a struggle. I am SOOOOO upset!!!
My neighbor has offered me his Mantis tiller. I may just use it--the heck with the spores...
Not everything can be done as directed by someone else, at least not by a more elderly person.

I knew this would happen! How I hate the thought of this nice raised bed becoming my "YUK" bed #2.

Well--gonna go outside and start assessing the situation...
G.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9303187

This message was edited Oct 12, 2012 5:24 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9303234

At this point, I would think its impossible to accurately say what disease, if any, that the tomatoes had. Verticillium for example can only really be confirmed with lab testing. No home gardener wants to go to that expense, and besides the sick plants are long gone.

My current philosophy is to be as healthy as possible for the plants and let them ward off what they can. Healthy fertile soil, good water, good practices (yeah me too don't often practice what I preach)

Columbines, Daylilies have never had a disease that I see, except Columbines getting their own leaf miners. My personal philosophy is that putting leaves in the bed and topping with any soil will help you cultivate a really nice crop of good soil fungus and that net effect is good. I think all the baddies and all the goodies are always there and our care helps determine what predominates. But- as part of CARE I include NOT replanting similar plants, where one got sick.

I love coming on here and pretending I am smart and pretending I know just what to do... Now back to real life...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9303500

Well--I exhausted myself today again--as always...hauling inside and out.
Then came in and made 3 jars of pickles...At least that was partially a sit-down job.

I am exhausted because, first of all--I had to make space in my Shop for the plants coming in.
A lot of re-arranging of pots and "junk"...That took many seguays--not planned...

Brought into the Shop all my Clivias and 5 Amaryllis. Also my 2 pots of Pineapple Lily. 1st go at these---
any advice is welcome..please! The print out I Googled said they need a dormancy period. They will get that--
on the floor in my Shop. As will my one Calla Lily--also a first for me. They need to be inside--right?

Golly! The Clivias have grown taller again. Now they are touching the Shop Light sitting on the small tables.
I have 6 now--and still will sell any of them--now for $30 as they have grown so much. Also--all have bloomed.
D-mail me if you are interested. They bloom in early spring. VERY carefree plants!

Then--I brought in all my other plants into the LR and DR--all except the CC's. They are still outside.
Did put them all on my picnic table in a close bunch. Will throw a towel over my Babies by the front door...

The Epis are now hanging in their usual spots by my LR window and the Spider Plant HB's by my DR window.
Actually--feels like I have a few less plants that usual. probably due to Plant Swaps...YES!!!

Whatever is in my beds or containers (annuals) are now at the mercy of the weather.
Do not care! I have taken the cuttings that I wanted. Seeds collected--Coleus still looking nice outside.
Tempted to take more...NOPE!!!!

Will see how well the Dr. Seuss does--as it is full of buds again...

Clivias

March 2012..

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9303799

If you have room why not? I think next year im going to try more coleus and caladiums instead of inpatiens. I took as many coleus cuttings as I could last night and put them in old Welch jelly jam jars we use as glassware.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9303801

Welch's jars!! We used to have some!! THere's a blast from the past!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9303826

Paul, because of all the problems with the virus desimating impatiens, I only used "Sunpatiens"

http://www.sakata.com/product_flower.aspx?CategoryId=1&SpeciesId=32105&VarietyId=

in my garden this year. They did well for me even though I have little sun. Mostly, I like how well they tolerated the heat! They are not wimpy plants by and means and they get huge! The two colors I chose 'Compact coral' and 'Compact blush' went very well with my many coleus, elephant ears and bananas.

I have some coleus rooting in my (Welch's?) glass, with blue tulips on it. It was my orange juice glass as a kid.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9303837

Judy--

What does the virus do to Impatiens? Can you share a picture?

This fall--more than ever before, my Imps. all lost their leaves and there were just bare stems sticking up.
This happened in all my plantings of impatiens.
I know others had the same thing happen. WHY does this happen?

Are "Sunpatiens" sold in 6-packs like regular ones?
If not--are they in the "premium Annuals" category?

I love Impatiens--but they sure lost their pizzaz early this year. Heat?

Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9303856

My nursery said they had the virus and they don't know what to do next year. That is one of the reasons I'm cutting back on them

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9303888

I will repeat my question---

What does this virus look like and what does it do to the plants?????
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9303890

Gita basically what you described...that is my understanding. Sticks.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9303907

Gita, Holly has all the cameras @ the beach, so I can't send a pic. The leaves turn yellow and drop. the flowers persist, then the plant just looks naked, bare stems. Take no cuttings! I replaced all ours with begonias before our garden tour for our greenhouse group. At Holly's mom's house they did fine, this year but next year I'm moving to begonias and vinca till they (the growers) release a virus-free variety. According to Judy the Sunpatiens are alright, but I'll wait a season or so, besides, I love begonias!
RIC
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9303921

We had a hard freeze last night that devastated anything left out. I wish I had a camera to show y'all, but alas Holly has them at the beach. Looking out the window it appears the Grim Reaper passed this way. Just to start, the Alacasias look like they melted and the gazebo looks naked Ric
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9303973

Wow Ric, a naked gazeebo. Yikes! Pretty abrubt change. Hopefully you can locate all those alocasia tubers underneathe the melted mush. And with some warmer weather there is the issue of them really trying to re-grow rather than accept early dormancy. Hope it isn't too hard to dry them out a bit and keep them cool enough...Sorry those mounds of mush are so hard to transfer to compost pile, too.

Have you gotten the greenhouse heater installed yet? Am assuming that you and Holly already brought in any of the really tenders that you'll do as houseplants.

Here, the temps got down to 47 and windy, but well above frost and freeze. Usually I end up triming my Elephant ears, etc instead of letting the frost take them. This week, my multiple containers of tropicals are dry enough to bring in, but the forecast is mid to upper 50's nite and 70 day. so I feel I have time for the big move to my unheated enclosed porch. (Wanted to paint the porch before the bring in but that can wait.

Maybe Onewish and Flowajen can loan you some Halloween decor so things don't look so bare!

Enjoy you several days of baching it!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9304007

Paul and Ric---
Thanks for the info. Sure sound like mine. I have seen this in other years--but not to this extent.
Will mention it to Bell Nursery--wonder if they know--or care?

Ric---Sorry you lost whatever was still in your garden. That sucks! Did the brugs make it through?
Or--had you, already. brought them in?

We did not get a freeze last night--as my Coleus and Wandering Jew all look OK.
They would be the first to go if we had had a frost. There was a dusting of frost on my lawn this morning though.

Just sent a good sized package of W.J. cuttings to someone in Ohio.
She was desperately pleading for some--so I jumped in and sent her a bunch. Why not? They will die soon anyway.

The better part of today will be spend chopping and dicing. My favorite pastime--while I watch TV.
Making my HUGE pot of Chili on Monday. It is that time of year--Soup or Chili.
My Chili rocks!!! And NOT because it will burn your mouth. I do not do that! It is moderately
spicy, but full of meat and beans and a lot of tomato products. Awesome!!!!

I can say that EVERY person that ever tasted it loved it. Including Moi... Gita

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9304010

Gita could your unidentified plant be Agapanthus and there is another I am thinking of only it only grows as far as your zone ,so it has been a time since I have seen it. I look around awhile anyway, it is kinda fun to look up plants.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9304021

The availability of impatiens (biggest selling annual in US) for home garden and landscape use has been sverely affected by the two diseases listed below.

1) Impatiens Necrotic Spot Virus (INSV) Is one disease that is very wide spread,

2) Impatiens Downy Mildew
http://walnutsnpears.com/2012/04/10/i-is-for-impatiens-downy-mildew-is-this-the-end-of-impatiens

Pic is of Downy Mildew

Thumbnail by coleup

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9304153

Wellllllll... Number 10 is HERE! Got a call about 2pm. DIL having some contractions. Son is at a weekend class north of Philly. Told her I'd be right over. Only 2 blocks away. Thought about washing my hair before I went. LOL. She called back within 2 min. Her water broke. Needless to say hair didn't get washed. Got on my bike cuz DIL had my car told hubby to follow me so he could get the kids. Felt like the witch in Wizard of Oz peddling as fast as my legs could go. Got her in the car, kids with pop pop, drove her to the hospital in Delaware praying she hung on especially on the bridge, went a little fast especially when she was in midst contraction, got there, dropped her off, parked the car, ran inside, my son made it from north of Philly in Langhorne down to Newark, De in record time. Once he arrived I came on home to take care of the kiddos. C section a little after 4. Grandson ? Name not decided yet. 7# 5oz. Don't know any other details yet. I'll be taking the kids home soon for bed. Will get to see him tomorrow. Very excited. He arrived a little early. She has been early with all the others, too. Due date Nov 8. Scheduled c section was going to be Nov.1. God had other plans. Whew! I'm exhausted and thankful I'm not the one giving birth today. Heehee

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9304164

Congrats! Can just picture you pedaling away on the bike, lol. Easy to believe you are exhausted, I got tired just reading this. We do expect to see at least one picture tomorrow.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9304165

Wow!! Jan, I think you win the prize for the most exciting Saturday. Congratuations on the new arrival and on your excellent pedal work. Glad all involved are doing well and that your son got there in time. This will make for a wonderful family story to tell when baby is older.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9304191

The impatiens I got from HD turned yellow and died in the heat. Not sure if that was the virus or just from neglect. I hardly ever watered it. But the white and red impatiens I got at the swap are blooming their heads off! Definitely looking much better now than they did during the summer heat.

I don't think I got frost last night, either. The tender succulents, coleus, and others left out by mistake are all doing very well. Right now, my container plants look better than they did all summer, except for the caladiums which need to be dug up pretty soon.

Btw, I think I know the identity of the mystery animal that I saw a few weeks ago. I'm 90% sure that it was a mole. I saw a video of a mole recently, and that's exactly how it looked. It was just so odd to see it moving above ground in the middle of a sunny day. I heard that a neighbor two doors down found two snakes in his yard, and this mole was running in the opposite directions. I wonder if he was running away? I heard the neighbor relocated the snakes to a nearby park. I wish he'd give them to me instead! I'd love a couple of (non-venomous) snakes in my yard!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9304234

Jan--congratulations to your daughter--and you too. #!0 ???????? Wow!
She could just sneeze and have a baby!

Went looking today if I had any more naked impatiens anywhere in the yard , but the only
one I found was in a HB by my front door---just as naked as all the rest were.

1--Is this what you are all describing???

2--And right next to it is this amazing Ivy HB. It started years ago as a small, starter plant in a
2 1/2" pot. I got it to put in my container. Of course--it grew, and every year, I would dig it out
and pot it up and bring it in the house. Then pull it apart and put it in my containers..etc...etc...every year.
Now it is so big an beautiful! What a nice hanging basket!!! It hangs about 3' down.
It is like the Iceberg Ivies--small, variegated leaves. VERY hardy!

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9304239

Judy--
Could you do anything to make the pictures you post a bit bigger?
When one is opened in a Post--they are the same size as the thumbnail.
Hard to see anything...

Try out some of your settings??? Thanks, Gita

Hope you don't mind me noting this to you...:o)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9304273

Heehee! That is grandybaby #10 from 4 sons and their wives. This baby is #4 for this son. Apparently he is adorable. As for pics, I don't do them with a camera and am not able to do it anymore with the iPad. Icabmobile changed something, so sorry about lack of pics.

I had started to dig up an area late this morning to dig out some awful bittersweet and then put in some shrubberies when I got the call. So things got put on the back burner. I am eager to know this baby's name. I know Jeff is rooting for a Jeffrey. We shall see. He told the siblings it should be Clem Cadiddlehopper. They thought that was hysterical!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
3:15 AM

Post #9304528

Jan, congrats on the grandbaby. Can't get that image of wizard of oz witch peddling away on the bike. I am chuckling at the great visual of you making the mad dash. Wow, ten grandkids - what fun family gatherings you must have. On my mother's side, I am one of 19 grandkids. Some of my fondest memories are the family gatherings that we had at my grandparent's huge old home in Pittsburgh. I still keep in touch with most of them thru Facebook, where they all post pictures of the 28 kids from the next generation.

I wanted to pass along that Wal-mart has some amaryllis bulb kits in a Susan G. Komen collection. There were about 7 or 8 different varieties - more than the standards usually seen at the box stores at Christmast time. I picked up 'Amigo', 'Pink Diamond', and 'Princess'. Price is $7.97, and includes a white pot, soil, bulb, and spanish moss. Also, 50 cents from each package sold is donated to the cause.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9304550

As our chatting away dwindle along with the necessary garden talk and chores---
the leaves will be all raked and our gardens will e put to sleep--
I would like to extend a "challenge" to everyone...

WE NEED SOME NEW THREADS HERE! How about it? Anyone?
Something we can all gather around--as if by a bonfire on a cold fall day.

My "watched" list grows smaller and smaller every week. I am starting to feel a withdrawal
cause there is nothing new to chat about. May have to venture into other Regional Posts...
NOT my comfort level, though. Would not know too many people...

Surely, with the upcoming, busy Holiday season, someone could come up with a new topic...
Even me...

Thanks. Been thinking to post this for a while now. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9304563

Thank you and thanks for the amaryllis info, AH

Will help take the siblings to meet their brother this afternoon. Can hardly wait to get my hands on him. Will be headed to son's house soon to help get the kiddies ready for church.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9310025

Uh oh. I think I just witnessed a swam of termites right outside by front door.

This is not a good sign, is it? I thought they swarmed in the spring, but I just read that there are some that swarm in the fall. Ugh...

Do I need to call Terminix?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9310029

It is odd that Termites would be swarming this time of year. Could they be ants?
If I ever find any termites in my rotting tree stump or RR- ties around my bed--
I just grab my Ant and Roach spray and blast them all. GONE in seconds...

Do you know how to tell an ant from a termite????

Ants have a very thin thorax (waist). Termites have no waist--they look like a grain of rice.
Besides--termites are VERY seldom seen in daylight--they are sleazy darkness creatures...
that is why they always build tunnels to cruise around in.

G.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9310037

Gita, I should have captured a few of them for positive ID, but it didn't occur to me at the time.

I really hope it was just ants!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9310054

Also, if you find the shed wings- termite wings are all the same size but ant wings are in pairs of different sizes. (Google that and make sure I got it the right way around)
Don't call Terminix, I personally have very little faith in exterminators. They might tell you if you had termites, but if you really HAVE them now you don't need an expert to figure it out.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9310109

If you can find one of the critters, the antennae of termites are straight, while ant antennae have a bend (elbow) in them. Sally has it right about the wings.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9310148

ah yes- it might help to recall that ants are very closely related to wasps so they have the same shape, wings and antennae.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9310158

I found the identification info useful ,and appreciate the wisdom. I am feeling like a bug is a bug when eating you out of house and home ,graphically and literally!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9310375

I have also heard/or read that Termites exist, naturally, around gardens anyway.
In mulches, in dead tree stumps, in rotting landscape ties, stacked firewood, scrap lumber, etc...
It is part of nature. Just be aware of that. Do not freak out if you find some in any of these places.
Deal with it in any way you can to get rid of them. Like I mentioned--Ant and Roach spray will do the trick.

The thing to remember is to keep all these kind of things away from the base of
your house. Same reason----they cannot navigate over light-exposed areas to get inside your house.
G.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9310612

Totally different subject -- if you have experience with Yuccas, can you please take a peek at my post on the Cacti and Succulents thread -- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285311/.

I was gifted a Yucca division (actually, several), and I am worried about getting it to root.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9310613

Here's photo of it.

Thumbnail by happy_macomb

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9310880

One fall I removed some yucca plants from a friend's yard at their request. I placed the plant material in a heavy black plastic construction clean-up bag and took it to my sister's. Intending to plant it, I left the tightly closed bag in the weeds at the edge of the property and promptly forgot about it. The next spring I found that the plant had sprouted through the bag and set roots through it too. While it was not variegated like yours, I think that yuccas are pretty hard to kill. From what I've read since, your division likely has sufficient roots to survive. Even cuttings of the stalk can be set in rooting mix and they will sprout.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9311179

I hope so ... I have exactly the right spot for this baby, so it would make me very happy if it would choose to live.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9311576

By the way -- I don't usually post TV recommendations, but Comedy Central's Night of Too Many Stars is on tonight at 8 (and undoubtedly will repeat at least several times) -- a fundraiser for autism -- and it is usually absolutely wonderful. There is a fantastic advance clip here: http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/43sq4x/night-of-too-many-stars-preview---katy-perry-and-jodi-dipiazza-on--night-of-too-many-stars-

Nuff said.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9312907

GH gas heater was hooked up yesterday. So we will see how heating the GH over winter will work out. One of the Trop Hibs is blooming. Should have taken the pic yesterday as it is gone today. Looks like more coming on. Here is the Mandellivia and Ric taking his morning coffee in the GH on a rainy day.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9312926

This is to all who got those massive roots of the red canna that jen brought to Holly's Swap.

If you did not notice----the spent flower spikes have these BIG, black seeds in every spent bloom capsule.
These seeds are the size of a large pea.
Do not just cut these spent bloom spikes off and discard them!

My other cannas, I have grown for years, never had any obvious seeds on them.

Jen---I LOVED the blooms on your Canna! I got the last 2 root chunks that no one
else wanted. These are massive growers! The shiny, maroon roots are starting to come
above the ground. I can see them at the base of the plants.
Have you ever tried (just for fun) to grow out these seeds?

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 23, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9313014

I always learn a lot reading about everyone's experimenting with different ways to tend to their plants. Lots of info gathered here today. Had this thread marked, but never ready until today. As always, very informative and it is always great to hear how others do things and their outcomes.

Jan, what great news about the grand baby boy. How exciting...ten grand children is a very good number. I have two that I absolutely adore. So glad that you shared about his birth with us. Sending lots of good and healthy thoughts your way.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9313337

Special Visit with Jill- for your consideration.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285529/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9321404

Well, no T or T ers yet. I think our neighborhood sort of rescheduled Halloween for tomorrrow or something. I took off work tonight so I'd be here for it. Working tomorrow.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9321425

Sally, my 6 yo grandson just called me so excited that it wasn't raining in Vermont for trick or treat. He is Jabba the Hut this year and little bro is Brave Knight. He also told me that no one in Vermont lost any of their power but he was hoping that they could just use flashlights in their house for one night. He also thinks that the freddie kruger costume of one friend is too scary.

I love the innocent perspective on what's scary. And his tip for tonight? "Don't trick or treat on an empty stomach or you might throw up"

Happy Halloween all.

Judy

Thumbnail by coleup

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9321485

Good tip!!! Must remember that. Love innocent kids. Our T and T has been moved to Monday night per the gov.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9321519

THat's all precious, Judy. He would NOT have liked my sixteen yr old zombie.
We had two groups tonite, total of six kids

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9321520

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286365/
Please see the above from Chantell

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
11:51 PM

Post #9321664

Photo contest judging is open. So hard to choose, there are a LOT of entries in each.
I think I recognized a few of the Pets- (whistling)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9325866

Frost and freeze warnings here and all around on this Election Day.

Sally, are you working the polls again?

Thinking of Holly in the islands on her dive trip. Hope to see some pics of same when she returns safely. Hello to Ric if he is baching it again. How's that green house heater? Those pics of flooding and creeks become racing torrents in your neck of the woods, make me want to investigate flood insurance and wish my vehicles had better tires and much more clearance.

Judy
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9325912

Heehee. For some reason I had a vision of you, coleup, sittin the driver's seat of a monster truck

Also looking forward to Holly's pics. Being underwater and breathing is such a surreal experience. Very freeing, but for some reason I can't relax and enjoy it as much as I would like. Guess the experience with a barracuda and my perceived danger (whether real or imagined) has imprinted on my brain.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9325943

lol Jan...That's it, I need a monster truck for my newspaper route! Wonder if my feet could reach the pedals or if my arms are strong enough to steer or I could see over the dashboard! Best start eating wheaties right away and bulkup alot!

That mind imprint thing is really powerful. I'm glad as winter approaches that I have a different rout from the one I had skid off the road and into ditches three times. Now I just have a lot of apprehension about snow slick hills! Mostly, I don't attempt them but park at the top and walk the papers down. I know, 'wimpy, wimpy, wimpy' but me and vehicle safe to deliver another day!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9326075

Jeff tells a story of delivering papers as a kid in a town outside of Syracuse, NY -so there was always lots of snow- and he had to jump off the sidewalk as a car came skidding down the hill and jumped the curb. Talk about mind imprint.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9327243

Hi all!!!

Any suggestions on a family friendly restaurant in Alexandria, VA?preferably no chain restaurants
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9327275

It's been years since I've been there, but my family and I used to love the Fish Market, http://www.fishmarketva.com/. We'd bike there and have peel-your-own-shrimp and beer... But there are gazillion restaurants to choose from.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9327466

Jen try googling 'yelp' for restaurant ideas. THe wisdom of the crowd ya know. I got good info with yelp for a couple recent outings.
Here
http://www.yelp.com/c/alexandria-va-us/restaurants

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9327869

yum, Love shrimp!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9327870

thanks for the link Sally
Good thing I changed my reservations, was supposed to drive down today...we have 5" of snow here!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9327950

I have a question---everyone...

I still have a bunch of Daff. bulbs in my basement from the ones I dug up this spring.
If you remember--i took many to Holly's swap and gave them away.
I kept some bigger bulbs of the reg. Daffs and also the tete-a-tete ones. Just a few.
I kind of would not want to give ALL of them away. I will not be planting them at this time.

What would be the best way to tide them over the winter and not have them dry up and die????
Would putting them in the fridge help????
Maybe--throwing them all in a big pot and putting some soil/peat moss over them????

Please tell me what YOU would do. Thanks, Gita

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9327991

Gita,
I put the tete-a-tete bulbs that Sally gave me at our get-together last week in a pot, covered them with dirt, and stuck the pot out on the front porch to over winter. Took all of 10 minutes, and I've read that this method works pretty well. We shall see...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9328134

Yeah, I'm baching it again. I had Dr's appointments to keep. They gave me a tens unit and changed a couple of scripts to try and put off the knife. Bette Davis had it right, "Getting old isn't for sissies". I agree most heartily. Ric
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9328479

Ric, hope dear Holly will return soon. Also hope that adjustments bring much relief and time to heal what ails and aches.

Did you hear about the experiment that was done with elderly men? They were told to pretend that they wereliving back in the 50 s and did the nursing home decor, foods, dress, music and old tv. magazines, etc for a week. At the end of a week blood pressure, and most other measurements of health status were improved and the men stood up straighter and had better balance and range of movements. etc.

Pretty cool.

Wonder if a trip back to the 60's would have a similar effect? Of course, some of us haven't much left that era!

Don't think I'm a sissy but I am more 'risk averse'. How's that greenhouse doing? Snow load rating?

Judy
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9328566

Heehee, you had me reminiscing, dear of my college days. 69-73.

Hoping the tens unit does the trick, Ric. I couldn't resist. Hmmm... Must have been remembering college again.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9328748

Interesting study coleup.

Hey RIc you cook better than many Female homemakers that I know!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9329231

Please note, I do windows and floors too. LOL
I take that as a compliment Sally. I spent a lot of time in my Grandmothers kitchen as well as her gardens, I learned a lot from her and my Grandfather. Ric

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9329968

Ric, you are awesome - windows??? Alas, my windows have not been cleaned in years.

I am watching Scruffy this weekend. He is a West Highland Terrier, aka Westie. I have watched him many times over the years. Definitely a cutie pie. He is sitting here watching TV with me, literally - I've never seen another dog do this in my life. I thought dogs couldn't see the images on a TV, but this dog does. He gets all huffy when any animal is shown LOL.

Thumbnail by aspenhill

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9330036

Terri, You've seen our place, with 128sq' of windows in the great room alone we gotta' do windows. Since we retired even Holly does them. LOL
You've also seen Alfie so you know how I feel about my terrible terriers. He's a Cairn Terrier, pretty much the same dog only caramel colored with some darker coloring about the face. He doesn't watch TV, He's a bird watcher/chaser/barker, if it flies through his airspace, he's off like a rocket. Scruffy looks like a sweetie and terriers can be such company. Ric

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9330194

I love it- dog sitting what fun! Westies are cute. So is Alfie for sure.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9336187

Attention my neck of the woods Home Depot has become a clearance center for a number of area HDs that have already closed their outside garden areas and shipped their remaining trees and shrubs to Annapolis store.

This morning they were having a final clearance on Japanese Maples, I came home with an assortment including:
Ruths Red
Full Moon
Viridis
Butterfly
Koyuki
English Town
Emporer I
Bloodgood

These were in 2 - 10 gal pots retailing from $40 to $180 per tree. I got almost $900 worth for just under $80!!!

There were some nice Bloodgoods and Ruths Reds available if anyone would like me to be your 'shopper' for these and I'll overwinter them , too.

Or, how about a Hydangea paniculata 'Winky Pinky" 10 gal pot for $5?

Just let me know asap as they may be clearing them as soon as tomorrow.

Judy

This message was edited Nov 18, 2012 12:11 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9336191

Way to go- Great- IF I had room for another tree! My current red japanese (homegrown) has given the most beautiful fall color display for over a week now.

Did you notice any blueberry bushes?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9336208

No blueberries Sally. I thought you weren't going to enlarge your patch so I didn't bring my homeless waifs to the swap. Let me know and we can work out something.

Also, let me know if you or your kids want to earn some cash money helping Wayne and I deliver papers in the wee hours of Thanksgiving Day or late Wed pm or afternoon, too (muscle power and/or independent delivery to our condo buildings.) The papers are rumered to be 'the largest ever' and are in three parts.

I am thankful for my customers and job
My mind is willing but my body is tired

Mantra on!

Judy

PS Did I mention that I havepersonally delivered over 3.000.000 (yes Billion) papers?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9336233

Oh, and I absolutely agree about the Japanese Maples. Davidsan from the JM Forum says this has been best year ever for fall color: http://www.davidsansjapanesemaples.com/

Mine are glorious.

Some of the new ones listed above work well as container grown trees like
Ruths Red http://www.davidsansjapanesemaples.com/shop/product/ruths_red
Butterfly http://www.davidsansjapanesemaples.com/shop/product/butterfly
English Town http://www.davidsansjapanesemaples.com/shop/product/englishtown

I love growing mine in containers...They take up much less space than an inground tree!

Here's a Winky Pinky link. too.
http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/hydrangea/pinky-winky-hardy-hydrangea-hydrangea-paniculata
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9336240

Coleup, please pick up a Pinky Winky for me!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9336253

Could you also pick up a Ruths Red for me?

Were there any Full Moons left? I'd love a yellow JM.

I wish I could stop by!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9336312

Judy, I'd love to have Butterfly, Koyuki, and an English Town if they're still available. Ric
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9336343

Judy,

Great plants! Thanks so much for offering to do that for everyone. As much as I would love to buy a few JMS I have to pass. It really is a blessing to have such plant buddies!

Hopefully next year!

I know what you mean about potting them. I have a seiryu potted, I just love the foliage of the JMS. If anybody wants assumed bloodgood babies I planted 72*6 of them last week. Hehe.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9336418

Judy, I would love if you could pick me up a Pinky Winky if there are any left. Amazing prices.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9336568

What a sweetie you are, dear!!!!!

Oh, my, I am praying for your back and shoulders and everything with delivering those humungo papers this week.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9336729

Thanks, Jan.
Maybe I'll have a career as an arm wrestler lol "The paper route of a thousand miles begins with the first paper..."

When I left HD this am there were over 30 JMs and about a dozen Pinky Winky s. By 3 pm there were only 3JMs and two Pinky Winkys left!

SS, and Ric and Teri I think your requests can be mostly met...afterall, I did get a few 'extras'.

SS, can you grow JM s along your new back fence? One or two with a pinky winky would look good there.

Paul, that's a nice selection you have.

Just think, maybe soon we'll have a "JM Lovers" thread to go along with our Garlic and Tropical and Holiday Cactus threads.

Judy
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9336832

Coleup, that's exactly what I was thinking! I need shrubs and trees along that back fence. It's mostly bright, open shade, protected from the wind. I think JMs and hydrangeas would do really well there.

Terp, you planted 76 JMs???
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9336866

Well 456 total! In seed trays. I figured it would be interesting to see how many come up. I put three trays on the north side of the house and three on the south side.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2012 10:17 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9336976

coleup- I'll run that by the older one today. He needs the money (don't we all) Thanks for offering and will be in touch.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9337050

LOL Coleup. Just went back to work for a month or so.
I am thankful for my job
the mind isn't too willing and the body may not hold up. LOL
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9337123

lol Holly,

I wonder what marathon runners go through? Like the "Virtual Game " of tennis or golf or, what ever task or goal we set ourselves to...there are lots of ways I can 'psych myself out rather than psych myself up'. They say the mind can't easily distinguis between reality and imagined reality, so the more I dread this delivery, the more I can be wearing myself out before I start! I do that with the Holidays, too. My "expectations" are off the charts so my prep has to be in part about reining them in...like that Que sera sera song, What will be will be. Thinking now that if I visualize that last paper being served and how good I will feel when I'm done will serve me better now.

Anybody watch that Ken Burns special on "The Dust Bowl" last night? Part 2 is tonight. Interesting comments on the role of hope in our lives as that which both 'keeps us going' and keeps us stuck repeating the same actions but expecting a different result.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9337200

I watched pt 1 . I thought it was very interesting though i did read, not long ago , Timothy Egan s book and saw a lot of repeated material. Its a time and place we havent heard much about.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2012 9:54 AM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9337592

I have seen read some things about that time a very long time ago. I found it very interesting. Have you seen the picks a few months ago out West there was a big dust storm. Can't remember either New Mex or Ariz. Reminded me very much of the pics I had seen from the Dust Bowl Pics.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9337601

It was AZ. Last year. Here is a short video clip of it. Pretty impressive. http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=dust+storm+in+arizona&tnr=21&vid=&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts4.m
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 20, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9337992

Dang...must have been one day last week while outside I noticed that our Japanese Maple was in beautiful colors too. Meant to get the camera and go out and snap a shot or two. Didn't do it, just got up to look and see what it looked like today and I didn't see the tree at all!!! What?...upon further inspection...every single leaf is now off and laying under the naked branches...what a let down.

Coleup, you will need to bring two vans to the next swap.

Ruby

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9338209

Well guys, I had another acrobatic fall last night. I had a 12 pack of soda in one hand and a 12 pack of water in the other. I was punching in the code to open the garage door, and as soon as it started making noise, this wild black blur of an animal came flying out of the dog door. It startled me so much that I jumped. When I jumped, I fell against the generator still sitting outside the garage door from super storm Sandy. When I fell against the generator, I lost my balance, hit my right shoulder on the generator, kept falling, hit the back of my head on the cement apron, and somewhere in the mix I lost hold of the 12 pack of soda which went flying up in the air and came crashing down on my left knee. Too bad it wasn't caught on camera - I'm sure it was really graceful, deserving of a perfect 10 LOL. Other than a few very minor bruises, I am fine.

Anyhow, in the process of the fall, I saw that the wild black blur was a feral cat. When I think about it, I bet it has been taking shelter in my garage off and on for months by going in and out of the dog door. I have seen occasional holes in the trash bags - and I haven't seen any signs of mice this fall, so I like the idea of it hanging out. It obviously is doing fine on its own, but should I actually get cat food to leave out for it?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9338221

Geeze Teri! I am so glad you aren't more banged up!
You could leave some food out for sure. I am no pro at that. I'd think small amounts . If you don't know its habits, you might end up feeding some other critters too.

Ruby, mine too is dropping leaves very fast now.

Wow that dust storm. Now imagine living with that for years.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9338266

Glad you are ONLY bruised(that is bad enough) and don't have anything broken or sprained.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9338281

Yes lucky, so it is just a humorous tale to relay with the real intent of getting some feedback on what to do for the feral cat :)

I need to check out that dust storm video.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9338283

Woo Terri glad you're OK.

I don't know what I'd do with the cat, probably lean towards not feeding it intentionally.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9338286

Same here, Paul. Did that growing up and ended up with 16 cats around.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9338354

[quote="aspenhill"]Yes lucky, so it is just a humorous tale to relay with the real intent of getting some feedback on what to do for the feral cat :)

I need to check out that dust storm video.[/quote]

What a sweetie you are Teri . I too am glad that you are ok and in good humor!

Last year we had a thread about feral cats because Becky (Bec_No-Va) and her friend had just become an "official" cat rescue group for feral cats.
Here is the link to that thread : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1218507/

The posters on that thread were helpful and supportive to me in a similar feral cat appearance at my place in Jan.
Maybe I'll revive the tread or start a continuation as my last years feral kittens have become this years feral cats!

Judy

This message was edited Nov 20, 2012 6:46 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9338360

Teri, Glad you were not injured. They (ferals) can be as bad as rabbits, as Jan said. However, if it's a Tom and isn't spraying scent about (you'd know) a bit of dry cat food would probably not hurt. A semi-hungry cat is a better mouser and having a dry place to sleep is always welcome. I have a couple that sleep in the barn and I know the neighbors feed them. I like that arrangement, we have very few mice and I occasionally find a dead vole. LOL Ric

coleup, Judy did you figure out what JMs you may have and what I owe you? Drop me a Dmail. Thanks, Ric

This message was edited Nov 20, 2012 7:21 PM

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9338414

Terri, Pat and I are glad that you are ok, but regret the lack of surveillance footage to post on U-tube. ;-)

I would suggest that you catch the cat and have it fixed/neutered so you keep the population under control. Go ahead and feed the cat some every day. Our cat gets all the food he wants and still catches any mouse/vole that he encounters. It is so ingrained that he is powerless not to.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9338470

Goodness aspenhill, I'm glad you're okay. That sounds like a really scary fall.

I had a much "simpler" fall last year but still ended up breaking my ankle. :-/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9338682

(coleup- Scott will call you)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9339105

I'd rather be gardening! Holiday house cleaning and shopping yesterday. Strictly house cleaning and baking today. I've finished all the windows and I'm just waiting for the freshly waxed wood and vinyl floors to dry now. I need to scrub all the painted floors yet, dust the great room, and vacuum the carpets, walls and ceilings. These things sort of fall off the TO DO list during the spring and summer.LOL Catching the darn dust rabbits is the hardest part. You gardeners know what I mean, the dust bunnies are all grown up and you know how rabbits multiply. I heard Noah had a problem convincing them, "Only two".
I'm planing to bake a pumpkin roll and two pies, using my gingersnap crust for one of them. Holly has her job timing almost perfected, she gets to miss all this fun. LOL Ric

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving all. I'm sure each and everyone of us can find plenty to be thankful for!

This message was edited Nov 21, 2012 2:41 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9339343

Way too much cleaning!
But I know it has to be done sometimes.
Got to put my pumpkin pie in the oven tonight.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9339647

Oh dear, I think I deserve a **bonk** on the head, I'm such an old-fashioned chauvanist, but as I was reading Ric's post, I was sitting here, imagining Holly sitting there typing it, then was surprised when he talked about the pumpkin roll and pies, and Holly's job timing.. I had to go back and re-read, I was like WHAT!? Haahahahahaaa, shame on me!!! < =/ I know at least one thing Holly's thankful for!!!!!! < =D

You are right though Ric, many things to be thankful for, foremost is for a God who loves us all soooo much!! What would we do without our Daddy in Heaven, eh?

Another one of which is that, even though it's just DH and me today, I **am** Blessed with my wonderful Beloved DH, and we're going to have fun starting on that master bath renovation today! =) OK, well, we can only get so far as the first layer of mudding the walls (pre-paint), and doing a dry-run of laying the tiles out and cutting them...but it'll be fun to learn TOGETHER how to lay tile since we've never done this before. I'm thankful that my beautiful DH loves me enough (and LIKES me) to include me in this fun and want to 'hang out' with me like this.
I'm thankful for our beautiful son, and even though he's not with us (he's at college, his last year), I'm thankful that the last college bill IS PAID OFF!!! =) This wonderful son (John) is loving and giving and smart, a real Blessing.
And I am more thankful than I could ever say for the WEALTH of friends I have met and made here at Dave's Garden. THANK JESUS for all of you!!!!! < ='D

Oh yeah, and P.S. I'm also thankful for DH's co-worker's daughter, who's a chef at a high-end restaurant in DC, who baked us a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving!! Now I have all the fixin's for pie-baking ... for another time! =)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9339751

Ric, thank you for validating the whole house cleaning priority thing - I can put that nagging guilty feeling to rest about how long and how often I neglect house cleaning in favor of gardening pursuits. I always manage to finally get to it, but usually after the dust bunnies have grown up to become rabbits - love how you put it LOL. Now, do you think you can have a chat with our husbands and convince them how "fun" cooking and house cleaning chores are HA HA HA. For that, I would be really THANKFUL! Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9339839

Thankful that I found evaporated milk in the cupboard for my pie since I had forgotten I needed it (duh, check the recipe much?)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9339875

I am thankful for these wonderful, sunny days so late in the year so I can work on the remaining
garden chores today. Well--at least start on them. Won't get all of it done--I know...
As we all know though--once you start--there is no end...;o)

Not doing dinner this year...my daughter and her DH wanted to spend this day with her Dad.
OK with me---it is only fair to share...
Wishing you all the blessings of being together with your families...
Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9339877

I am thankful you have your daughter so nearby that you get to spend a lot of time with her OTHER than today, GIta. And that you have this lovely sun!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2012

Post #9340161

We had such a nice day. Not quite all the family together, Jen and Jamie's family spent the day with the in-laws. We had a nice group of 9 for diner. It sure was yummy even if I did cook most of it myself. I am very grateful for Ric. He is just so great about jumping in and doing anything that needs done. He did all the cleaning, baked pies and did all the clean up.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9340197

Great Holly!
Thankful for automatic dishwasher. And a DD who helps load it!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9340205

Yes those gadget's sure are a comfort! Happy Thanksgiving..
I gave to the Red Cross while being thankful ...
Took a wire staple out of granny's little finger, didn't even bleed!!! My good deeds for this Holiday! see ya
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9340219

Just got a call from my 6 and 3/4 year old grandson. Even though I wasn't there in Vermont, I was a big part of the day and celebration at the grandparents and cousins that live locally.

I just sent a package of winter boots for his little brother and included a few things for him, too. One was a baking soda/vinegar rocket that they set off in the backyard today. Big success! Went real high and then landed and rolled off the roof. Launched a second time by uncle who is a chemical engineer , almost got caught in a tree and just missed landing in the pool.

I love kids!

Happy Thanksgiving all.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9340244

Aren't kids the best?!!!

Have been thinking about you and the BIG paper delivery and wondering how your arms and back are faring.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9340295

Thanks, Jan. It is rather like a marathon and I won't have to do it again for 365 days! My body did quite well praise the Lord! Will also make the rest of the huge holiday buy buy papers seem easier in comparision!
Also, on Wed three of my customers went out of their way to hand me a card and a tip and one gave me a hug! "Thankyou for all the hard work you do" is a blessing to me and all others who work hard in our world.

My same grandson said that he liked the rocket I sent, but even more he loved loved loved the book on Dragons! He told me that dragons used to be good and did important things and people used to thank them and bring them things, And then people stopped thanking them and bringing things and some of the dragons got mean.

Suspect that Holiday good deeds leeds to less meaness and more tame dragons!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9340395

Your grandy sounds like a chip off the old block which is a GOOD thing!!! It is always wonderful to be appreciated.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9341613

Brrrrr...cold winds today.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9341894

Cold, overcast and windy today, it's enough to make you SAD (Seasonal affective disorder) if you are so inclined. I have to split some wood and then I'll go to the greenhouse and work, the perfect pick-me-up for a grey day. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9341938

Doing some fall sowing. Some plants germinate better if sown in the fall rather than if winter sown. Starting some Frostweed, Jewelweed, Bunch Flower, Blue Flag and a number of other native wildflowers. We'll see how this works out.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 25, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9341960

On Thursday and Friday I too took advantage of the beautiful days and did a bit of garden maintence. I now have two large trash bags of debris to add to the compost bin. I have decided that nothing else gets done before spring, that is okay too. If there are more beautiful days and I have a few hours here and there, I will get back outside and take my pick of many of the beds which need attention. I stay indoors most of the time and the lack of garden maintenance falls in the area of out of sight, out of mind. Thankfully, the sights I see from the inside windows are good views and not too many ragged gardens without stretching to see them.

David, I am sure the seeds you have sown will do great and produce some more beauties for you to enjoy and share. hint, hint...I collected several sorts of seeds while out and about in the yard and now need to find the time at some point to clean them up and put away until next spring. I find it interesting that just a few years ago I had gads of some seeds and shared with many others and now find myself coming up short on them. The two that come to mind are Castor Bean seeds and Cleome. I may put out a request at some point if any of you have these particulars and have enough to share. Guess I should leave this topic until closer to the Seed Swap that will hopefully occur this winter at some point.

Speediebean, I always get a kick out of your posts. You are so full of life, on line and in person. So glad that you are enjoying your membership of our little gardening group. I know personally that this particular group has played a very major part in my social life for some years now and I love each and every one of you. i don't have to look very far around my house or in my yarden to be reminded of the goodness that comes from each of you. So many of my house plants and garden plants have come from you folks and I always think very kindly of you when seeing them. Thank you to all who have added to my plant enjoyment over these years.

I too am feeling particularly grateful these days. I need to remind myself of all of my blessing as we enter a time when I tend to get stressed very easily. I find that if I can keep an attitude of gratitude there isn't a lot of room for any negative thoughts and emotions. It isn't always easy to do but the pay off is good.

You folks all have a great week coming up.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9341967

Ruby--

I have anough Cleome seeds to cover half the state of MD.
I would say--at lease a cup-full. Not to worry about shortages.

IF you already had this flower--it likely dropped hundreds of seeds itself and they all
will be coming up next summer.

Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 26, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9342753

Gita...for some odd reason, the one that others find invasive...I have a hard time getting to live. There have been summers in the past when I had plenty of them, but for some reason I didn't have many this year. None to reproduce it would seem unless a seed or two has fallen and will surprise me next year. I got a tray from Pat and David but planted them in a large pot and they didn't so as great as if they had been planted in a garden.

If you don't mind, put my name on a small baggie of your Cleome seeds for me Gita. I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9342780

Will do, Ruby...There will be plenty of these seeds in my seed-box.

All the huge amount of seeds (over a cup-full) I have came from 3 plants in 2010.
Each pod holds about 40-50 seeds--so I do not understand why you never had any???
Did you try to collect them off the plant? There are zillions of the seed-pods up and down the stems.
When those skinny, long pods are ready--all you have to do is touch them and the seeds fall in your hands.
Sort of like shelling peas. ...in a miniature version.

As for growing from seed--I am thinking they may like the winter's striation to germinate.
Maybe I am wrong on that...I just know that mine were coming up in cracks all over the bed
the next year.
Cleome seedlings are easy to ID. The leaves look exactly like the ones on the adult plant.
Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 26, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9342796

I am familiar with the seeds and how to gather them. I think where I went wrong last year is that I didn't know they needed the cold temperatures in order to grow the next year, so ended up with lots of useless seeds that had spent the winter in my bedroom closet. Two years ago I had a beautiful stand of them in my front bed and this year only one or two popped up. I am not sure if during one of my spring clean ups if I pulled the seedlings out by mistakes or if they washed away during some heavy rains or snow melting or what...I just didn't have them as I wanted this year.

Anyway...that is the way it sometimes goes with gardening...one patch does great one year only to struggle the next and so forth and so on. Always a surprise to see what our beds will look like from year to year.

Anyway...hopefully I will be able to have much better looking Cleome to enjoy next summer.

Ruby
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9342816

Heehee mine didn't self seed very well either a few years ago. The ones I had saved had been kep warm also. Alas, I am not a very dedicated seed grower.

Taking my grandy who turns five today to the aquarium. She has been waiting patiently til she turns five. I did the same with her brothers. Better go get ready.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9343306

I think I did read that CLeome needs stratification. I had poor germ last time I tried with them. And I did not collect any seeds- I was just busy otherwise and they split on the plants.

Yay aquarium- what fun!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9343395

We had a blast! She wore her princess dress for the day and most everybody we encountered commented to her how pretty she looked. She then informed them that it was her birthday. She got a lot of birthday wishes. She kept saying that the fish, etc were saying Hapy Birthday to her as they moved their mouths. In the big tank we saw a scuba Santa and an elf. She put her hand on the glass wall and Santa matched up with his own hand. Very cute.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9343450

A wonderful day...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9343476

Apropos of nothing
the story of TInk the Dachsund and Pink the baby pig is just adorable. Made into a children's book.
http://www.amazon.com/Johanna-Kerby/e/B0042SXB0M

I tried to visit the authors page directly but it kept taking a long time and not going anywhere. You can find some pics on YouTube.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 26, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9343525

Jan, Did you take her to Adventure Aquarium in Camden? That is where I use to volunteer. I have a picture around here somewhere with me and scuba santa, diving in the tank and JR watching us.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2012
2:54 AM

Post #9343564

Jan, sounds like you guys (Youse guys?) had a wonderful time, Yaayy!!! And a belated HAPPY BIRFDAY LITTLE ONE!!
< =D

Stratification: (aka: throw 'em out in the Fall to let 'em sit outside over-Winter). < =) I'm so lazy it makes me sick.. I think I'd better go sit down.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9343620

Heehee, Holly, I thought of you and wondered if you had been Santa or the elf at one time. they moved the seals to the National Zoo. Going to redo or remodel the outside area.

That's me, too, speediebean. LOL
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9344386

Just finished the finale of DWTS. WOW A great season and great ending. I will not disclose the winner so those who have DVR get a chance to get caught up. Holly is one of those since she had to work tonight. LOL
I have most of the insulation done in the GH and will now pursue other means of conserving heat. To date I'm using a bit more fuel than planned. Ric

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9344509

Ric--

I too have watched every episode since DWTS started...It is amazing what these people can achieve!
As for last night--I keep wondering WHY the #2 winner couple decided to "break the rules" on purpose
knowing that there will be points deducted...
Was it, maybe, to give the winning couple a better chance to go home with the trophy?
It was always pointed out that he had never won the trophy. So--when he did--the whole house came down.

Not naming names here---as suggested.

Now what do I watch on Monday and Tuesday nights????? Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9346178

Do you need a new plant? Well, of course you do!

It's like this cartoon read my mind. :)

http://blog.arrowheadalpines.com/2012/09/do-you-need-new-plant_30.html
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9346236

Gita, I don't think Shawn and Derek were trying to throw it as much as they were playing to the audience, a good response from fans (call in votes) would negate a few judges point very easily. Ric
Let's see Monday and Tuesday nights, hmmmm, Turner Classics, Nova, Discovery, Geographic, I think there should be something of interest, just not as entertaining! DWTS is probably one of my favs, I can move just like they do.

In my dreams. LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9346314

Well--I thought this season was one of the best--quality wise. What with it consisting of previous winners...
and no "klutzes"...Loved it!

I COULD NOT deal with Pamela Anderson from the first minute---Those faces she made!
The clenched teeth! The hair all over her face! The 4" heels--no one can dance in those--and she could not!!!!
She was so far from audience appeal--as she had to much of self-appeal. No signs of having fun!
Glad they threw her out the first week...

I also wished that Kristy Alley would have been the slim her as she was in the months
after the last DWTS episodes. Man! She was all over the media with her new, slim bod!
How fleeting that can be!!!!

Dieting does not work long term. It has to be a total life style change commitment.

OK! That's what I thought!...G.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9346517

What to watch Monday and Tuesday nights? Record Sunday and Monday night football and watch them on Monday and Tuesday nights, Tah-Dah! < =D GO STEELERS!! < =D (no, sorry, I'm not a DWTS fan, I'm a football fan... don't get me started...) ;)

Oh my gosh, "Do you need a new plant?".. that had me laughing out loud to the point where DH had to ask me "You having fun Dear?" heeheeheee, YES I WAS having fun with that! LOL!! "Get a plant and bribe the policeman with it, works every time!" Haahaahahahaaa!!! Darn that was good, thank you!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9354670

You would not believe how long I spent in the post office today.

Five minutes.
A box posted and two books of stamps bought. Wow I feel so lucky! Usually I am last minute with my box to send.
There were two 'new people' working today, maybe they got extra help for the season.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9354673

I had to run to the post office at lunch time today too - less than ten minutes. Must be the day to go!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9354688

Yay for you too! I really thought it would be busy.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9354716

e-shopping.
It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it...LOL
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9354912

I was in and out also. Very happy. Thought it would have been crowded.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2012

Post #9355048

I went today just o buy stamps and get a flat rate box.

Waited in line about 15 minutes. it was about 11Am.
There were a lot more people in line when I left... G.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9355065

As for me , comes in the mail, purchased by mail, I did get up off my duff and get a flu shot, yeah, a real energy waster ain't I?
Never am all that exciting am I...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9355138

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1290533/
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9355229

Did you know the mail was once delivered by missle? Yep, and by camel? Postal service is in the Constitution . NPR had an interesting segment on the history of the postal service on Sat, Check it out here. You can listen to it while you bake cookies!

http://backstoryradio.org/

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9355612

A couple of Charles Goodyear's attempts of inventing were stories I always enjoyed , The rubber coated mail bag was one of Charlie's first fails because the bags were to heavy when coated,kept the mail dry in the wagon deliveries area's though.
Failed at rubber tires for wagons and their suspensions also,His family did all right with his failures later ,Let us all hope the postal service "fares?" better for the new year... poor Charlie,

Can't do cookies ,I am plain too fat already!!! goodness me and food!!

Enjoyed the links thank you!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9357391

Funny thing about baking cookies (for me anyway), Juhur. I get so sick of tasting the first ones and smelling all the rest for all the days that I'm baking, that I really don't feel like eating them. If I had gotten them by purchasing at the bakery, I'd have a difficult time staying away from them at all!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9357478

Definitively a mind over waist line matter type of thing!!!!^_^
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9357598

Alright everybody I need some help.

I'm planning on buying some amaryllis bulbs for Christmas presents. Other than benkes in Beltsville are there better local resources? Online favorites?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
P

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9357685

I was in Wallgreens today--and they had big Amaryllis bulbs in a glass "vase" of sorts.
Reminded me of something you would put over a candle--about 4"-5" across.
I believe they were $12.95 (??). Looked very classy!

Please do not buy the boxed gift sets--they are c--p!

I just tried looking up Wallgreens--no luck with the Amaryllis. G.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9357853

Terp- Try this: http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Category&_category=Amaryllis
same selection, cheaper prices if you want quantity: http://vanengelen.com/catview.cgi?_KEYWORDS=amaryllis&_COLORS=&_SUN=&submit=Search&_fn=Search
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9357865

Thanks for the suggestions!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9357964

Paul---

The kind of a "vase" I saw at Walgreens is actually a "Hurricane Chimney" type.
Of course, the bottom is closed and the bulb sits in there with some marbles--if I remember. Very pretty...

Similar to these... http://candlesbyconnie.com/hurricane_globes_shades.html

If you like--I can go pick one up for you. Then--when you come by, you will have it. Problem solved...
I don't mind--it is only a couple miles from my house, right next to the Safeway I go to all the time.
Not sure on the price--I know II said-$12.95--but it may be $14.95.

If you don't like it--I can return it tomorrow. LMK---Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9358235

Have you been watching the news. We had the TV/Radio off most of the day listening to Christmas music while we cleaned. Got a call from my older daughter about an hour ago asking if we had heard what had happened. All I can think about right now are my Grands and DD (teacher). I see the school bus going by in the development next to us. What a sad, sad thing, I keep thinking back to Columbine and wondering what is wrong with our society.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9358269

Yes I was

This message was edited Dec 15, 2012 12:42 AM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9358331

my prayers to all , and hope to remember during this time of year how dear and precious each and everyone is ...
Now I am ...

This message was edited Dec 15, 2012 12:41 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9358661

THis is certainly a huge tragedy.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9359053

We have our GS JR for the weekend. Just came back from getting our Christmas Tree. While Ric and I get the tree up and lighted we sent him back to the neighbors behind us to play with their children. So I am not sure if I will have a couple of hours of peace while they all play in their woods or if he will come back with a gang to build with the marble maze in our living room. Either way it will be nice having him to help decorate the tree later. Holly

And bake cookies, I hope! LOL Ric

This message was edited Dec 15, 2012 3:45 PM

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9360395

Absolutely NOTHING going on, Holiday, gardening, or otherwise around this house. I've caught the creeping crud that's been going around and I've been flat on my face for what feels like aeons.. but HollyAnn, DH came home from work the other day crying, and told me about what had happened. He had the hardest time getting the words out, we were both just utterly speechless. What an unspeakable tragedy. We have cried and prayed, and prayed some more for those families and that community, our hearts just absolutely break for them. So so so sad.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9360414

I hear you! It is unfathomable. Lots of prayers being said and lots of hugging of children. Hit my DIL especially hard when labels are being bantered about since our grandy is on the autism spectrum.

Praying you get to feeling better, speedie!!! Our company has been sick. Their flight here from TX was not very pleasant. Praying their return flight tomorrow is better. Grandy is feeling better, but her parents aren't.

Our Christmas choral presentation was last night. The kid's choir, adult choir and some kids on instruments shared. Methinks I will need to be a listener next year, cuz it was very difficult to sing after and with my grandies. Hard to see through teary eyes. And the words of another song teared me up and made my chin quiver. I'm sure it is distracting when my tissue comes out and I'm wiping my eyes. Several friends came and hugged me afterward, cuz they saw my emotions.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9360426

I'm not watching any of the news programs.
Well here is a little something to brighten up your days. My Hellebores are starting to put out blooms. I also have about 3 clumps of Italian Arum that are really looking good.
UMD_Terp, Do you have Hellebore in your woodland garden? If not they would be a great addition.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9360431

I need to go out and look at mine, Holly. Never occurred to me to look for buds now. I did notice that some of my hostas are starting to peek out of the ground!!

That tragedy in Sandy Hook took place while we had gotten together with another couple to bake cookies. Needless to say, our festive mood changed and we put it off for another day. Donna and I cried and the guys were speechless for a LONG time. I'm sure that it has found a permanent place in everyone's conscious and subconscious. The only slight relief comes when a prayer is raised up.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9360436

Jan, Yes just what I was thinking. There will be a lot of talk about gun control (not taking this conservation in that direction) but what we really need is some talk about how we treat those with mental illnesses. Good help is hard to find and paying for it is next to impossible. Insurance companies pay very little toward that type of care and those with the illnesses are quite often cash strapped. Not to mention the environmental questions on why are these type of illness on the rise? Or the social issues that makes violence a form of entertainment for our children. Really so many issues contribute to this type of incident.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9360452

Amen, HollyAnn, Amen. I guess before any of that gets started, it wouldn't hurt for more prayer to be started. LOTS more prayers. We gotta start somewhere, and in my mind, God's the best place to start, including (especially?) for those policy-makers.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9360467

[quote="HollyAnnS"]I'm not watching any of the news programs.
Well here is a little something to brighten up your days. My Hellebores are starting to put out blooms. I also have about 3 clumps of Italian Arum that are really looking good.
UMD_Terp, Do you have Hellebore in your woodland garden? If not they would be a great addition. [/quote]

I have a little seedling I got this year. I have no idea when it will bloom. I have heard hellebores are pretty, I honestly have never seen them in person though. And the flowers/blooms face down not up correct?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9360487

Paul---

I have about 6 hellebores...These pictures are all from march--different years...
They are a welcome sight early in the spring.
You are right--the blooms all hang down--so it is hard to take a picture.

Here are some of them--the pictures being what they are...
Get some anywhere you can. It is worth it.
Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9360489

Yes mostly face down some have a more upright growth but mostly they face down. I still have a ton of seedlings so next spring I can share plenty of my little ones. They are pretty pricey to buy full size, they take about 3 years to flower so if you have the time or patience to grow them from seedlings you will save a good bit. They are really nice for a woodland garden and look good pretty much all year round. I get a bit of snow damage on the older bigger leaves but quite often the younger leaves and blooms are sticking out of the snow looking so pretty. They bloom for a very long time. I had flowers for half of last summer, too.
I have been thinking of dividing some of the bigger plants next spring so I might have some of those to share, also. I'll post some pics for you when I can.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9360491

Nice pics Gita. You have a nice collection of colors.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9360508

Holly---I have never seen any seedlings...maybe i just don't know where to look?

My oldest one is the pale, pale green/white. That is next to my bird bath. Pic. #2

My newest one (going on 4-5 years now) is the double pink (pic. #4) It is so pretty! Very dainty...
Someone on DG traded me that--from somewhere --not from the Mid Atlantic...Have no record..

Don't remember where i got the rest...

Have you ever divided one, Holly? What do you do--just dig away a small section of one?

They grow pretty fast, and are not picky about the soil. They do like a bit of shade, though.
G.

1--nicer picture of the mauve-purple one
2--better one of the pink one
3--This one shows the nice fresh leaves that grow each spring. Cute! it had the one bloom on it...

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal      

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9360538

I get tons of seedlings growing under the older ones. Gave quite a few away this past year. Haven't tried dividing the big ones yet. Did dig up a couple of the big ones and transplanted them at my DD house. They did very well.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9360655

Welp. I buckled in the amaryllis and just got two kits at lowes. It was easy and I had a $15 merchandise card to use up, oh well. I'm sure they will turn out fine.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9360659

Quick question about the Hellebores (pardon me Paul, please forgive my interruption): Have any of you started them from seed? How do you collect the seeds? Is there a link here one of you could direct me to, please? I'm PLENTY patient to do it, and if they're relatively easily collectible, I can nab some from the plants at work! Thank you! =)

Sorry Paul, tip-toe'ing back out again. < =/ Oh, but please let me say, I'm sure your amaryllis' will be fine. We've sold the "inexpensive" kits at work and they grow like mad, really really nicely! I think you'll be suprisingly pleased with your outcome... just don't plant them too deeply. =)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9361217

I haven't tried collecting seed or starting them by seed. My first ones were very small plants bought thru a co-op. But my plants drop seeds and new young seedlings are growing under the older plants. I should have plenty to share again this spring at the plant swap.
I have 8 amaryllis to give away as gifts this year. I ordered mine earlier this fall but I have bought the cheap ones at stores and they always do well.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9361228

Thanks for the reassurance. I am sure they will turn out great. The kits are easy and a great start for people with not a lot of experience.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9361286

Another bit of bright news, "Comfort Dogs" from all over the country have been arriving to Newtown to help in their very special way. And a quote from Mr Rogers:

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my motherís words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world." -- Mister Rogers

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9361291

Happy Birthday UMD Terp!

Paul, are you starting a new tradition of planting garlic on your Birthday? Certainly will help with remembering the date planted!

Have a very good rest of your special day and thanks for your enthusiasm and sharing/caring in the MAF.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9361293

Coleup, Love that quote from Mr Rodgers. You are such a fountain of information and wisdom. I always love your posts.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9361295

Mr Rogers was wonderful.
Thread for Paul- thanks Judy for the alert!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1291433/
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9361322

Thanks Holly, and a belated Happy Birthday to you, too.

I had the incredible priviledge of being a Day Care Center teacher, a large center for 2 1/2 thru Kindergarden. One Fall, as new groups and attendees were forming, one little boy seemed particularly "lost". I watched as he wandered from one area to another in the large room, He began to sing softly, the Mr Rogers "Won't You Be My Neighbor" song.

From way across the room another little boy began to sing it too. And, they worked their way towards each other, untill by the final chorus they were at the same table and sat down and played together. They became fast friends and are still close after 27 years!

May we all keep singing out (Jan) and finding our neighbors and fast friends!

"It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
A beautiful day for a neighbor.
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?...

It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood,
A neighborly day for a beauty.
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?...

I've always wanted to have a neighbor just like you.
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?
Won't you please,
Won't you please?
Please won't you be my neighbor"

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9361367

Oh, HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL!!!!!! < =D

Judy, you've made me cry; Mr. Rogers was always one of my all-time FAVOURITES. God Bless his beautiful soul forever.

Yes, I'd be honored to be your neighbor.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9361546

Happy birthday, Paul. My 50 year old son just loved Mr. Rogers. That program would calm and sooth him if he was upset about anything. It was a rare find on tv that was filled with mostly Astro Boy and all the other fast past programs.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9361591

Love that quote fro Mister Rogers

I am happy to be a neighbor to al of you sweet people.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
1:27 AM

Post #9363586

All you sweet neighbors, lets continue chatting over here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1291667/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America