Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Your Neck of the Woods Chat Fall 2012

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Well, we made it to Fall, drought, heat and all. Harvest from garden quite thin. Plenty of acorns. Falling leaves all have assorted holes and nibbles in them. So, I pause with you in our planetary journey as the light and dark have equal sway and remember a song from years ago to take with me on the journey ahead and hope we will all stay low to the ground and close to the earth in the days ahead.

LOW TO THE GROUND
Words and music by Libby Roderick
c Libby Roderick Music 1991
BMI. All rights reserved
From Thinking Like a Mountain

We stand on the edge of a cliff in the deepest night I've ever seen
People looking for light, people who cherish a dream
But the light's shining out from our eyes and the dream's resting deep in our souls
If it's magic we're needing to keep us from falling, it's magic we already know

It's music that keeps us alive, it's dancing that sets our hearts free
It's children remember the laughter in life, it's animals teach us to see
Stay low to the ground, live close to the earth, don't stray very far from your soul
It's simple things show us the reason we're here and it's simple things keeping us whole.

Tell me the place you were born, the lives your ancestors led
The ground that surrounded the people you love, the streams from which you were fed
It's the wind that carries the seed, and the seed that carries the song
The food that we're eating is rooted in soil, and it's soil that is keeping us strong

It's music....

The temples are falling around us, we stand strong and fierce where they've been
I never have seen a holier sight than a person who sings in the wind
Our blood is the river of life, our joy is the sun on the land
All of the love that is inside this heart is more than one person can stand

And it's music...

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276207/

Lets keep chatting, Judy

Thumbnail by coleup
Crozet, VA

We cross posted Judy....so my moaning and groaning of stink bugs shows on the other thread. My so very bad........Anyway....oh yeah, keep on chatting....and Judy, I hope you are having a great weekend.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I will c/p my last Post--for those who would like to go to Rawlings to take in their spectacular shows of the Seasons.

FALL HAS ARRIVED--RIGHT NOW, AS I WRITE THIS!!!!!

Below is a c/p from the Rawlings Newsletter. The Mum Show will run from Sept. 27--Nov. 11th.
If you have never been to Rawlings--you are missing a GEM!

Fall Mum Show and Preview Party Fundraiser

Mark your calendars! You will not want to miss the spectacular Chrysanthemum Display. The Dragon's Garden: Elements of the Chrysanthemum runs October 27 - November 11. The Preview Party will be October 26, 6 - 8 p.m. W
We will be sending out invitations soon with information about how to purchase your tickets.

Gita

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I started a yarden maintenance thread for Fall here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281155/

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am always glad for fall , will miss summer ,rarely looking forward to winter, and too impatient for spring and a chance to play outside without having to shovel snow. Still tomatoes and a few vegies coming in from the garden.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Good article today by Diana Wind on arsenic in rice
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3926/

Many of us met Diana this Spring at Holly's plant swap. She knows her stuff. Thanks Diana.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a picture of the new fence!

The first is the before pic and the second one is from today.

As you can see, it went from all ivy to all vinyl. :/

I really hated that ivy, but I'm missing the pop of green. I was going to plant the swap items (ferns, groundcovers, etc.) right away, but the soil is so compacted and full of clay that was dug up.

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

SSGardener, Gypsum may help break up the clay, if you don't have enough organic material.We'll have to see if we can bring you a load of compost next year, Ric

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Or you can rent a truck from Zipcar (or I can do it for you), and we can drive to the nearby stables and you can shovel all the horse manure you want.... It'll do wonders!

Ric, thank you for that generous offer! I was thinking about getting compost delivered from College Park.

I know better than to leave that soil bare. It seems weed seeds sprout within weeks (or even days) of being disturbed.

Happy, I was thinking about doing that too, but I've never gotten manure before. How bad is the smell?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

My mother once gave me a truckload as a birthday present! And I've dug it myself several times.

It is mostly composted, but still a little fruity. Not too bad. Probably depends how long the particular batch you dig has been sitting. With the weather cooler, it shouldn't be a problem.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Ssg where in college park?

Terp, I was going to order from here:

http://www.collegeparkmd.gov/smartleaf.htm

$18 per cubic yard of compost

$7 per cubic yard of wood chips

Plus $35 delivery fee since I'm not a CP resident.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Pretty good price though...even with delivery. Thx.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG - There is a location in nearby Takoma Park where you can go and load up all the city-composted leaf mold you want for free. You provide your own labor and transportation.

Greenthumb, I'd forgotten all about that place in TP. I need to go see how much compost they have left.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmmm okkkk where is that?

White fence is way better than white-as a ghost-scared Terri!!

Thats a good price on compost and chips!

I dig manure too. I never find horse manure too smelly. Its much more tolerable than cow. It smells LESS than some of the 'fresh' mulch that you smell on commercial landscaping in spring.

I knew a guy who got his wife horse manure for mothers day. Yup he was a great guy!

That College park deal on wood mulch might even be worth my gas money. Places I priced here were 30 per yard or maybe 33$

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Takoma Park Municipal Leaf Compost - Going west on MD 410 - East-West Hwy, turn right on Maple at the light at the bottom of the hill. Go a few blocks and turn left on Ritchie Ave. Go up the hill, make a jog and Oswego is on your left. Turn onto Oswego and go to the end, about a block or so. Self-serve leaf compost is on the right. (At least this is how it was the last time I was there, which has been a number of years.)

Terp, here's the website for Takoma Park leaf mulch:

http://takomaparkmd.gov/publicworks/leafsche.html

The info on free self pick-up is at the bottom of the page.

They also have really good prices for delivery, even for non-residents:

http://takomaparkmd.gov/publicworks/mulch.html

When I called last fall, they didn't have much left.

Sally, you certainly have a way with words! :) It's hard to describe in words how good it feels!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Love the new fence, SS especially the fact that you don't have to see those dogs!! (or the neighbors-oh, did I just say that)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

SS. How did you manage to keep those aggressive dogs at bay until your fence was installed? In any event, good work! Since the dogs can no longer see you or your cat, have they calmed down some?

So, what plants, shrubs or trees might you be interested in for greening up that area? I'd be so tempted to do a quick and dirty 'raised bed" or two by just dumping whatever amendments, etc I could gather on top of compacted clay without working it in and all. 6-8 inches of good stuff can grow many a green thing!

Alternatively. I've been known to pile up fall leaves, run a mower over them once or twice and then plant my containers of plants where I might eventually dig them in. With enough leaves, they actually look like they are planted there! And the leaves over the compacted soil for the winter will loosen it up some by spring and they area will appear somewhat 'finished' while nature does its thing.

But that is just me, the lazy gardener before lazy gardening was cool. Have fun and let us know what plants we can bring for you at the next swap or sooner!

PS, Happy, LOVE your Mom's BDay gift to you! She sounds like a kindred spirit, too. Did she inspire your love of gardening?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Coleup -- re my Mom -- she was a lot of things -- many of them very fine -- some best told after a few drinks....

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lol Happy, I hear you on that!

For my 18th BDay My parents surprised me with a delivery of long stem red roses to my dorm with a card attached that said "One for every year we've loved you" There were only 17 roses! I know because my room mate and I both counted them as we placed them in the accompanying vase!

I took it in stride, but 17/18 did contribute to that nagging reservoir of "unlovability" we all wrestle with in our own ways. Not having high expectations is, I suppose, a learned behavior. Or, does one 'missing rose' discount the presence of 17 other fragrant beauties even if it wasn't intended? Which it wasn't. My parents were livid that the florist messed up once I finally told them about the mistake. Yeah, I finally told them after I couldn't figure out which year I wasn't loved!

See you all at the next swap. Sensitive extraordinaire, Judy

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Your parents must have been furious, after going to that degree of thoughtfulness (and expense) only to have you feel partly unloved -- what a funny story!

Thanks, Jan! I was *very* angry with the neighbors, but actually felt sorry for the dogs. The adults would chase the dogs around with branches/switches and threaten and yell at them. :(

Coleup, I hardy went outside this summer. Paul saw the backyard a few weeks ago, and he'd be able to tell you that it was very neglected, especially by the fence line. Most of the shade plants I got at the spring swap died from this neglect. :( Strawberry begonias, ferns, turtlehead, etc., all died.

Right now, I'm piling on the organic materials and waiting for more leaves to fall! I still need a ton of mulch, though.

And I was always told that flowers should be given in odd numbers. ;)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Susan-

Funny you mention that--ss---I also remember that saying....Wow--this is digging deep into my past life.
Don't remember who said it or why...

coleup--I had a whole different perspective on the 17 roses and loving you one for every year...

Here WHY I had a different "take"....

You were in college (you mentioned a dorm) and as we all know--kids in 1st year college can
do many other things besides studying. Like partying--drinking--messing around, etc...
In other words--giving their parents gray hair--as college costs a lot of $$$$. And--many students
waste away a year flunking out of classes because of the above mentioned activities.

SO! I thought--your parents have loved you for 17 years-but were leaving the 18th year as a
"we will see.....we will see...if we will still love you". Kind of a tongue-in-cheek reprimand....behave! Or else...

Anyway--that is what i thought...I always think psychology first....

Gita

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

And my first thought was that someone in the dorm helped herself to one thinking that noone would ever count how many were in the bouquet.

Ss, Animals get bad raps because of their owner's behavior. Still glad there is more of a blockade on that side so you can enjoy your own yarden again.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Terri (ss) so glad you now have the comfort factor with that fence, and now a new gardening area opportunity as well! You'll have fun creating those beds.

My favorite presents received have always been "slightly" untraditional for what women usually wish for. One year I received rainbow trout for stocking the pond - pretty funny story about that (my birthday is in February) but I'll tell it later. On other occasions I received a 12' step ladder, a great new wheel barrow, a canadian hemlock, etc.. LOL

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yesterday, Mike called me at work to tell me that he had been sitting at the basement computer working on invoices, and he had an odd feeling that he was being watched. He had the door wide open because of the nice weather, and when he turned around to look, a deer was standing there in the door frame looking in. When he got up, the deer casually turned and started grazing on the plants in the garden. He finally called out to the deer "are you full yet?". The deer lifted its head, swiveled its neck around to look at him with those innocent doe eyes, and had a mouthful of my fine plants hanging from its mouth. The audacity of these deer LOL. I fear it will be a never ending battle...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Native Plant Sale today just off of the Beltway and 395:
http://home.earthlink.net/~sknudsen/

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

The audacity of those innocent-looking creatures!! That was too funny. Guess it just wanted to share in the chores. Guess you better go to the sale to stock up on some new and tasty treats for them. Heehee

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm off to meet Holly at the beach in NC. for a week. Since we didn't replace our lap top yet, I will try and check in a couple of times from the local library. Later Ric

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Coleup:

Your opening post was just lovely. Thank you so much.

Like SSgardener, I let a lot of areas go this past summer. Now I am trying to at least get things improved for the next season. I'm going to post on the Gardening Ethics thread about a choice I have made in the face of (1) age[ing] and (2) ever-new weeds/grasses.

Critter, I wanted to thank you for the heirloom phlox that you shared with us this spring. I have several different varieties, and they all got very bad mildew except for Felicia's phlox, even though they were all planted right next to each other. I just had to cut all of my phlox down, dig them up, and dispose of them (along with the soil), but Felicia's phlox is still blooming and looking beautiful.

Btw, this is a good reminder for myself to start being diligent about labeling.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSg - In your post from Sept 28 you said that all the plants you recieved at the spring swap had died from neglect. Many plants go dormant and disappear at times of drought and neglect, only to re-appear later, perhaps the next spring. Do not presume your plants are all dead and dispose of them.

Greenthumb, it was mostly the plants by the fence line that were neglected. I'm hoping the cinnamon fern reappears. That was a really pretty fern. Some of the plants got "eaten up" by the aggressive ivy that was covering the chain link.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Which weather is right? We have predictions ranging from 28*F and 42*F for nighttime through just this weekend. Wish I could get a job as a forecaster, LOL I wonder if they get incentives if they get it right?
Maybe you could work for 2 stations and spread the forecast to insure at least one was right!
Anywho, we started migrating our tropicals to the greenhouse today. We have a few more to dig and pot before we get a killer frost. I also started to take cuttings of some of the more tender and expensive plants I'd like to have for next year. I probably have a dozen Persian Shields and some Lantana. We also potted the banana pups and placed the parents by the south-side of the compost to make heavy mulching easier.
TO BE CONTINUED......

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly---

Have you rooted a Lantana before? or are you just digging it up to keep in the GH?
I love lantanas--and they cost a bundle in a 4" pot in the spring.
I have 3 Lantana plants in my :YUK" bed. They never do much until about this time.
They seem to like the colder weather.

IF you are propagating these--[lease tell me what you are doing?

Nice weather today! As always--i was outside about 5 hrs. straight working away.
It is amazing how small chores can take hours to accomplish. Some were NOT so small!

Thanks, Gita

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.